Speaker 1: Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs. Had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: I am old fashioned. I like two sexes. I don't know. I think all of a sudden, I don't like being married to what is known as a new woman. I want a wife, not a competitor, competator, competitor.
Speaker 1: Talk about a bit, this crying in the morning thing. It's depression, you know, Let's get that fixed. That's what men think, isn't it.
Speaker 3: What Unless you've got the answer, unless you can say, oh, I know.
Speaker 2: This bloke in the essex radical fix that, and there's no point bothering.
Speaker 4: How do you write women so well?
Speaker 1: I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability.
Speaker 2: I love him, I love him and I don't care what you think.
Speaker 5: I love him for the for the man he wants to be, and I love him for the man that he almost is.
Speaker 6: What do people have rowse about him?
Speaker 1: Money?
Speaker 3: Sex, sex, money he wants, she doesn't want.
Speaker 2: She wants, he doesn't want women. I've always been a big problem to me, doctor Fusspend.
Speaker 4: Are you listening, doctor, Yes, yes, yes, go on.
Speaker 2: Gone, doctor fuss Bend my hero. Hi everybody, it's the Male Female Hour on the Dennis Prager Show. And I love this hour, and I know many of you do. I have three dedicated hours on the show pretty much what I call come Hella high Water hours. We talk about this subject. Male Female Hour is the second hour on Wednesdays, The Ultimate Issues Hour is the third hour on Tuesday, and the Happiness Hour is the second hour on on on Friday. Right, the Male Female Hour today is on a subject that will hit some of you unfortunately, right between the eyes. And I would like to hear from you because perhaps you and I together can help people understand a rather complex element in the male female relationship. And that is the big j. What's the big J? Jealousy? Now, you might expect me to say that it is not a good thing. You got to learn to control it, you'll have a much happier life. Well, you're right about the second two, but not about the first one. Yes, you do have to learn to control it, and you will have a much happier life. But it's not a bad thing entirely. The problem with jealousy is degree, not existence. Get it. That's the key here. Listen. If there is none whatsoever, if it can never be provoked between two people, then I think I think that there is some degree of love, or at least romantic love missing. If it truly, if it truly means nothing. I one is uh. One's wife is uh. You know, spending time with different men and speaking about them, but it provokes nothing because you know, while I just trust my wife. Well, the issue is not trusting your wife or trusting your husband. That's a separate issue. The issue is do you feel any jealousy? And the truth is that you ought to. The question is how much and how easily is it triggered? That's that's the issue. I mean, there are men and there are women, and I think that this seems to run and this is purely anecdotal in my experience talking to people, it seems to run fifty to fifty. Sometimes it is the man who is over controlling and who is jealous of the slightest degree of interaction between his wife and another man. And sometimes it is the woman who is overreacting and who is deeply upset by any interaction between her husband and another woman. I have not found this to be sex based as in gender based one eight Prager seven seven six. You can start calling now because here is one of those times. This is one of those times whence your examples and questions will be helpful to other people. My bottom line is that it is there is an inevitability and a health to a certain degree of jealousy that you will feel that feeling you really love somebody.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean you act on it, it doesn't mean you control I'm talking about the feeling of jealousy. Now. What you have to do, though, is to control it. And here there are two people involved, at least in helping you control if they're if they're simply if they overwhelm you, or they are constant triggered by, as I say, any interaction of your spouse with a member of the opposite sex. To first, you have to help yourself be Your spouse has to help you, and that is done by regular reassurance in a in a in a in a verbal, and whatever other way it takes of their love for you, their exclusive love for you. I mean, a healthy person doesn't care if his or her spouse house interacts with members of the opposite sex. You care if you feel that they are attracted. And I don't mean in the in the usual way men are attracted to seventy two women a day, but but in any any deeper sense than that. And uh, and that it threatens. That's the that's the fear. I mean, what is jealousy but ultimately a fear that somebody is coming between my loved one and me. Right, I mean, that's that's essentially what jealousy is about. If you don't have that fear, then then then it's meaningless. And so you have to ask yourself rationally, is there really is there really that possibility? Is there really that that that potential? You know, your husband falls in love with an actress on the screen. I you know, I think that the jealousy is not called for if he unless he's deeply unhealthy and starts stalking her. It's it's it's a it's a fantasy joke. You know, your wife goes, oh God, is he gorgeous? Uh? You know, big deal. It's actually good. If your spouse can say to you he's gorgeous or she's gorgeous, that's actually a healthy thing. Means you're not you're not hiding your reactions. And my deepest belief is that the more you share with your spouse, the better it is. But that that's quite different than than obviously you know somebody at work who becomes very involved quote unquote professionally in life of your of your husband. Let's say, uh, Now, unless you know that it's and you can know it is possible, you know it's a non issue. You know she's she's no threat to to his love for you. That's the That's the issue of jealousy, as I said earlier, is the threat that a person can pose to the exclusivity of your relationship. But having said all that to if it's absolutely absent, that's not good either. It gives an edge attention that is good for a relationship. It also helps, by the way, in doing something else, and that is never taking your spouse for granted. If you never ever feel any jealousy, it would seem to me that you take for granted that your spouse will always be with you and always love you, And I don't think that that's healthy. That's the subject that I've covered and will return to another time, because it's not nearly often enough spoken about the taking for granted of a spouse that people engage in as if you have tenure, like a college professor, can't be fired. I think that every spouse should think that they could be fired. In fact, alrighty, let's go to let's go to some of your calls here one eighth Prager seven to seven to six, and let's go to Cleveland, Ohio and Scott. Hello, Scott, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 3: Hey, Dennis, boy, is a real pleasure talking to you. Listen to you for a long time, first time calling in. I've been with my wife in one form or another for twenty five years. We started dating when we were seventeen, and she was tended to be quite jealous at that age, almost problematic, and over time it's drifted away, and I just sort of assumed it was something like a more childhood attitude that she grew out of. Interested in what other people say today on the subject, but there was no real effort on my part to make it go away other than enduring it, and in just overtime it went away.
Speaker 2: How long did you know each other prior to marriage?
Speaker 3: I was in sixth grade with her. We really, I mean I knew her name and that was it.
Speaker 2: Well, well, let me ask you this, what age did you? Did you marry twenty three? Okay, so there were six years from seventeen to twenty three. And what I think is marriage made her more secure than being boyfriend and girlfriend.
Speaker 3: I suspected that as well. That like you said that, right.
Speaker 2: All right, So let me let me say something. This is very important. That's another benefit of marriage. I'll explain when we come back. This is the Male Female Hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episod of Timeless Wisdom. We'll continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, Dennis Prager hear the Male Female Hour each week, this hour of the show on Wednesdays, and talking to you today on the Male Female Hour about jealousy. It is a good thing, but it is a bad thing when uncalled for or when it becomes terribly controlling, obsessive, et cetera. In other words, if it doesn't exist, it's not good, and if it exists too much, it's not good. Like much of life, this is not exactly different from much of life. That a moderate amount of something is probably good and an excessive amount is bad. But some people might think that it's good if it doesn't exist at all. And if with that view, if you really love somebody and you are married to that person in particular, then an a certain exclusivity is definitional to the marital state. That's why the last call from Cleveland was so interesting. He was with the woman that became his wife from seventeen to twenty three, then married. She was very jealous. Then with marriage she became much less jealous, as indeed she ought to be in marriage that you have made it a formal commitment, a formal and legal commitment to exclusivity. Therefore, jealousy should be reduced. Now it comes up though in so many different ways. A man looks a man looks at another woman, and again it is moderation. Men look at women. That is the way we are made. It is as instinctive as smelling a nice flower or biting into a yummy food. I mean, it is so basic that, frankly, you have to be a male to realize it. Now, I'm not saying women don't see attractive men, but come on, let's be honest. Both women and men look more at women. All right, that's just the way it is. And the jealousy issue, Oh, he looked at another woman, or he was looking at the women in Victoria's Secret catalog and how men I am jealous. There's nothing that's usually an unhealthy reaction. Now, of course, the reaction may be on a far deeper issue than that, and that is that you feel very insecure about your looks. Visa VI the models of Victoria's Secret. If this is any consolation, every woman is insecure of Visa VI, the models in Victoria's Secret catalogs, or in Playboy or what have you. That's another subject for another time. I can help women out a great deal on that issue. As I have said over and over and over, overwhelmingly, women prefer men, prefer at least healthy men. I can't speak for unhealthy men, but for healthy men prefer a live woman that is less than perfect to a perfect fantasy. All right, that this should be. This is extremely important for women to know this now. At the same time, I think that a woman who takes care of her body and who is married is saying in a very profound way to her husband that I love you. All right. These are very difficult issues to confront. That's exactly why somebody needs to confront them, because they are usually evaded. But don't be jealous of the fact in and of itself that he has looked at these fantasy pictures or these women or the catalog or what have you. All right, let's go to more on the jealousy issue, and let's see here, got a lot of good calls. Uh, you know, I will stay in Cleveland and take uh take Steve Hello, Steve, Dennis Prager, Dennis Hello, Steve, Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 2: I sure can.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just had a headset on Yeah, one time listener for some caller and good. This issue comes up quite often. People accuse people being jealous when it's really envy, and I think there needs to be a clarification about that.
Speaker 2: Well, envy and jealousy are different. Envy is when you want what somebody else has. Correct, Well, I mean that's and even then technically that's coveting. But but envy is you have I envy you your car, but there's no I don't know if that's exactly jealousy, right, but I.
Speaker 4: Hear people like they use it interchangeably and where.
Speaker 2: They do use it. Yeah, that's why I'm that's why I'm sticking just.
Speaker 4: To the J word, right, And and so it's a part of a relationship such as even the first commandment. But I the Lord, I'm a jealous God because we belong to him, and therefore when in a marriage relationship we belong to each other the husband, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, I thank you for I thank you for raising that, Steve. That that is, in fact a good example of how a biblical idea has changed my life. Uh, that's a it's a it's a really good example. If God is jealous. And I understand that these these are anthropomorphic terms used because we are anthros, we are humans, and therefore human like terms will be used. Nevertheless, how bad could it be if God himself is jealous? God wants an exclusive relationship and uh, and to which he is entitled, And so I I think that, hey, if it's good for God, by golly, it's good for us. So that was that actually was a way in which I formulated by view that jealousy in and of itself is not a bad thing, but is it in fact but can be and is a good thing. But of course there could be a hell of a lot too much. Let's go to Arcadia, California and Susan, Hi, Susan, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 5: Hi, Dennis, love you your.
Speaker 2: So thank you for both.
Speaker 5: I have three points I thought I could make. One is I've been married to a personal trainer for ten years and pretty much most of his clients tell are women, and you know they're wearing work.
Speaker 2: Uh uh are you breaking up? There? Are you on a are you traveling?
Speaker 5: I just pulled over. Actually, I'm sorry, good.
Speaker 2: Good, Okay. He's so, he's a personal trainer. Most of his clients are women, and they're dressed. And then it became garbled.
Speaker 5: Okay, And I said, there would have plenty of opportunity for jealousy had my husband not have the character that he has. And he is very very conscientious of our intimacy and our relationship. And I hear from his clients all the time how he glowingly speaks of his family and his wife. So that has been very helpful.
Speaker 7: But I do agree with you.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, go on, go on, go on.
Speaker 5: I do agree with you that jealousy is not only titillating in a relationship, but I think it's motivating, and I can speak for myself that I had gotten a little off track and taken care of myself and the jealousy that I had motivated me to this year get in shape and lose twenty pounds. So that was a good thing. And my last point I wanted to make is you did a show some months ago about men and how they how they're wired and that they look at women, and you said go home and tell your husbands thank you for his fidelity.
Speaker 3: And I did do.
Speaker 5: That, and I think it was fabulous because my husband just brightened up and like the change in the space was amazing and he said, Wow, thank you so much for acknowledging that and seeing that. So I have to thank you, Dennis for that.
Speaker 2: You made my day. Uh, I'm really I'm so I can't tell you how happy I am. I'll explain why when we come back. One eight Prager seven seven six is the Male Female.
Speaker 1: Hour this episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: We'll continue right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom bullets.
Speaker 2: Thank you to play. This is Dennis Prager. Hi, everybody, I'd like showing to play. Do you have it ready? From that spot good. I want you to hear the end of the last call from this woman in Arcadia, California. I think she's in her forties.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, my last and I wanted to make is You did a show some months ago about men and how they're wired and that they look at women, and you said go home and tell your husband thank you for his fidelity. And I did do that, and I think it was fabulous because my husband just brightened up and like the change in his face was amazing, and he said, Wow, thank you so much for acknowledging that and seeing that. So I have to thank you, Dennis for that.
Speaker 2: By the way, one thing that comes to my mind immediately is that what was what was the lady's name? Was it Anita? What was her name? I want you to try to find that chan sall be able to refer to her properly. I bet that she never went to graduate school. I mean that utterly, sincerely, And I'll tell you why, at least in the liberal arts. And the reason is because of the distorted reality that is given over to women in particular, but to both sexes in the vast majority of cases, in the vast majority of universities, and that the longer you're exposed to this distorted view of life, the more pernicious its effects. This is what you would have been taught. A woman with a graduate degree would probably sneer at this notion that a woman would say to her husband, thank you, honey, for being faithful. I know the battle that you have on an almost daily basis because of your it's susan. Okay, thank you again, Susan. They would sneer at this because, first you know, anything to thank a man for anything distinctive is immediately as something that you don't do. But secondly, why should I thank him? He should be thanking me just as much I have the same battles for a fidelity that he does. This is the drivel, the utter, and total. It's not even partially true. It's partially true for some women. Of course, it's even fully true for some women. Unhappily married women who stay faithful and who are who are sought by men do have this battle. But men have this battle even when they are in love, even when things are good. And so look look look at how that contributed to her marriage. The other thing she said, which was so powerful, which is show what a healthy woman she is, is that her jealousy of her husband, the trainer, was motivated her to get in shape. I mean, the guy works with women, you know in Leotard's All Day. It's a good idea, It is a very good idea. But there's a third point there that I'm talking about. The subject of today's Male Female Hour is jealousy. And here was a great example of where A he did not foster it. She made that clear and men and men should not foster it, nor should women obviously. But B where she took that emotion and instead of pickling it and getting angry over it, it motivated her. That's that's a great credit that there. The credit goes to Susan. There's a very significant call. I don't usually review calls like that. All right, let me take some more here. Glendora, California, Bernard, Hello, Bernard, Dennis Praeger.
Speaker 7: Hello, how are you? Dennis Scala?
Speaker 2: One to tennis? Seven point eight?
Speaker 7: Well, then I hope you were carry up to our eight to.
Speaker 2: Live and I don't seek that seven point eight is darn good?
Speaker 7: Go ahead, all right, well, well listen, My comment is that I think the extent that we have premarital sex in our society undermines the element of trust between a husband and wife, and in that process it contributes to jealousy.
Speaker 2: You know, I have heard this my whole life. I have never for a second related to it. So stay on with me and tell me why I never got it. I never got it, and I may be atypical, I fully, I'm just being open with you, folks. So Bernard will explain why when we come back one to eight Praguer seven seven six, Hi, everybody, Dennis Prager. Here, the subject is jealousy, and it is a good thing in moderation. It is a bad thing when irrational and obsessive and and and destructive, et cetera. You have to know when again the mind believe it or not. Even here, the mind has to ultimately be in control. But the absence, the complete absence of jealousy is not good either. And I'm going to return to Bernard in a moment, but I just want to remind you, based on the on the marriage improving advice I gave that the woman Susan earlier had spoken about, we have a compilation of thirty thirty of my best male female hours on CD I assume also downloadable and you can call eight hundred two two five eight five eight four eight hundred two two five eight five eight four. It's about I think it could be extraordinary help and fun and interest to anybody married or not eight hundred two two five eight five eight four, or go to Dennis Prager dot com. Now, Bernard raises an issue here that I have heard my whole life and I have not personally related to and that. But that doesn't mean I may be the freak here. I'm just being open. I'm not being argumentative or even taking issue with. Bernard says that in this age where premarital relations are so common, that has that has increase the amount of jealousy between husbands and wives because so many husbands and wives had sexual partners prior to the person that they married.
Speaker 7: Correct, yes, yes, yes, okay the reason even among themselves. It undermines trust if they've only had each other as partners even prior to my marriage, because.
Speaker 2: If you did it with me, then you probably did it with somebody else.
Speaker 7: Well no, no, it just shows that you don't have the character and self discipline. Now, what I would argue is that if humanity is designed in the image of God. Each of God's character traits and his nature is most accurately understood within the context and limits of all the others. And so if fidelity is both pre and post marriage, it is undermine the totality of character.
Speaker 2: What does fidelity pre marriage mean? How can what fidelity outside of marriage?
Speaker 4: Faithful?
Speaker 7: Pre marriage is like abstaining from sexual activity.
Speaker 2: Well, that's not fidelity. That's chastity.
Speaker 7: Chastity that is being faithful to hope with a character trait.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, you're mixing the word. That's why we have to be precise here. That's just not accurate. Fidelity is to somebody. Can't be faithful to a trait? I mean you can, but it makes no sense. If somebody is watches his money, is he faithful? He's a very faithful man. What is he faithful to his bank account? I come on, This is when religion doesn't look sophisticated. I believe deeply that we're created in God's image. I also I also have a different understanding of the concept. Like God, we know good and evil. That that's how I understand. The animals are not created in God's image. They don't know good and evil. We have moral choice. Animals don't anyway, That's how I understand it. But but putting that away. Faithful is to somebody, or you could be faithful to God if you will, but we're talking with humans. Fidelity means faithful to a person. Okay. I think Bernard's first issue is an illegit one. A lot of people feel jealousy visa viv the lover or lovers that somebody had prior to marriage. My view is that if they really love you, and you know that, I don't see any reason and I do believe that reason and and and and the mind must play the dominant role here. And I I I'm debating on this, you know, how transparent here and what to say? I look, my view is in we we'll talk about this. And I've said this many times and I've told my kids this. I believe that people should be should have some sexual relations prior to marriage, but not intercourse. I believe that the line should stop at intercourse. That's the ideal, all right, That's that's that's what I that's what I believe, because when there is no sexual contact, you have no idea what your chemistry is and it may be a disaster once you're married, and I am more interested in preventing divorce than I am in preventing any sexual contact prior to marriage. That's but intercourse I hold has a a sacred status, if you will, and so that there are many ways of knowing whether you can sexually relate without that specific act. So that's my position. Having said that, I've never been of the school of you have to be a virgin. I don't never you know, the preoccupation with virginity strikes me is literally primitive. Others will have different views. But to be jealous of the people who were intimate with my wife or my husband before we ever met and he chose me, I would think the opposite. I would think that you would say, look, he's had all these other women, or she's had all these other men and she chose me. She's not married to those men, right, she married me. He's not married to those women. He married me. Now, if the guy walks around or in the middle of the night he's mumbling, you know, Erica, Erica, and your name is Jennifer, okay, that's an issue. But unless it's prompted by something as obvious that it's a non issue. You know, you know, this is to me one of those examples of gratuitous misery. There's enough to be miserable about in real life without concocting ghosts to be jealous of. All right, I'll take more of your calls when we come back again. The number four the thirty male female hours is eight hundred two two five eighty five eighty four. Back in a moment on Dennis Preigner.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom. We'll continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: You Sigma, I say hello? Why are you?
Speaker 3: Sagamar say hello?
Speaker 2: I say hello too, Dennis Prager. Here. By the way, the number I gave out is just for the CDs and that are available not to get on the show. Eight hundred and two to two five eight five eight four is for what I mentioned earlier in any other CDs. All right, just you should know not to speak to me and not to speak on the air. Okay, all right, let me go to more calls. Jealousy is the subject. This is clearly a very very significant issue. And let's go to Mark in Glendora, California. Hi, Mark, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 6: Dennis Good, My question, or is what's your explanation for when a woman or a man are jealous of their partner's best friend who is the same sex, and they're not threatened by sexual orientation or whether they're going to have sex with each other or that?
Speaker 2: All right? Is that because are you the friend or are you the husband?
Speaker 6: It's not. I don't have a case. I'm not in the relationship.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, but you've seen this happen. Is that why you're asking?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've seen in some of my previous relationships for some of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so here very simply, there's not a lot of time. So let me just very quickly say this. There are times where there can be there can be some legitimacy to such jealousy. If vastly great greater amounts of time are spent with the friend. If if you're home and you're in bed with your wife and you call up your friend for a half hour in bed, and you do that regularly, I could see where the wife would have a reason for jealousy. Most of the time that I have encountered this, it is it has not been triggered, but or rather as a perhaps an irrational part of a desire to own own the husband or the wife. I think it's a magnificent thing. If my wife has girlfriends, I love them. I love that she likes them. But yes, I could imagine that if if truly I felt the time for me were in great amounts taken away, Yes I would. I would have a jealous reaction, not of them, but of the time. And I could see that a a woman. But what you do is you embrace the friend and then bring them into into your joint life. Jane in Henderson, Texas, you have a few seconds. You say, your husband goes one step further than just looking at women. What is that step?
Speaker 7: If he sees someone that he thinks is attractive, he instead of walking around him, he'll bump into him or they have to turn and look at him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, all right, Yeah I need to talk to him, Jane, I really do that. I agree. I just wanted to know what example you could give. I would love you to call in on Friday, when people can call in on anything. I'd love to talk to you about this. This has been the male Female Hour. I certainly hope it's helped. This is the Dennis Prager Show, Don't Go Away.
Speaker 1: This has been timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles