Speaker 1: Right out the gate here, I'm just gonna lay it out there. I'm gonna speak on behalf of the viewing audience and simply put, I mean, what do you what do you have to say for yourself? What is it that you have to say for yourself? How dare you? Melissa? How dare you? I know you got everybody all riled up in saying yourself.
Speaker 2: I got everyone riled up last week and I had a few people, one hundred people write me and ask me to please explain myself.
Speaker 1: Would you like to offer up a retraction? Okay, because I, as your husband, I don't know that I've ever been uh so so reluctant to lend my support over over to your side of the table. You lie for shame for shame.
Speaker 3: I like, you say the same thing, and I'm the only one that gets in trouble.
Speaker 1: I am joking just to make this like super duper clear, totally joking. Welcome back to the New World Old Soul Podcast. Welcome back, guys.
Speaker 3: If you're back, thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: You mean set the stage here in real time. It's been like three days, four days since we record, since we posted on this channel previously, and a good chunk of that conversation revolved around the halftime show the Super Bowl, regushing about the Seahawks. I know it was a very small portion of the conversation, but it got people really fired up in the comments, and so they wanted to come in here to address some of the questions and concerns and confusion that so many people expressed. And we're joking here in the onset about all of this, but it's just it's been a thing, and Melissa has been stewing.
Speaker 3: I've been about it.
Speaker 1: We're being totally honest and transparent here.
Speaker 3: I've been. I've been stewing.
Speaker 1: This is like read this one and I'm like, no, well, okay.
Speaker 3: I felt a little misunderstood.
Speaker 2: And I think people I think people got pretty upset over what I mean. I guess I just didn't coming out of the podcast, I didn't see that it was going to cause a big upset, but then it did.
Speaker 3: And I couldn't tell if it was just people.
Speaker 1: Did you say a big upset?
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell if it was just people kind of like jumping all on the bandwagon, or if what I said.
Speaker 3: Was actually that upsetting or that confusing.
Speaker 2: So I had some people that I do recognize as regulars writing me and saying, could you please clarify because it was so off brand for you that we were left feeling very confused because it doesn't mirror what you normally say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't necessarily feel that way. I mean, I put the episode together and I was a little shocked by it as well. I guess here's what I think happened, and let's let's review exactly what it is that was said. Basically, we expressed that we were very happy this US won a Super Bowls the halftime show, I indicated that I left the stupid bad Bunny thing on because I didn't want to miss a second of the game, rather than turning over to the kid rock performance that was produced by Turning Point USA. So many of our audience it sounds like, did go over to watch.
Speaker 3: With the Great American halftime shows, Great.
Speaker 1: American half I'm shure, I love it. I'm glad that people moved over. I would have moved over to had it been like of greater significance to me. It just really wasn't quite Honestly, I said that I took a bathroom break. I want to got something to eat. The stupid bad bunny thing was on TV. I to be totally honest with you, I don't know that I digested more than twenty seconds of that halftime show. I said on the podcast that it was in Spanish, So if there was anything that I was supposed to take offense to, it went over my head, right, Okay, you.
Speaker 2: Said, Okay, So I said that. I basically I wasn't really surprised by it, or like I thought that they were going to go on there and make a really big political statement, like an anti ICE political statement. And then when I watched it, I mean I had no idea what he was saying. But when I watched it, I was like, okay, Like to me, it just looked like all these different Latin countries.
Speaker 1: You also were like sitting in front of the TV plane.
Speaker 3: No, I mean we took it. We made pizza. It was a bathroom break. I was changing Mica.
Speaker 1: I was like a talk about the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the halftime show to us is like recess whatever, you know, get up and do what you need to do. But we did have it on, and I did glance at it a few times, and I figured we were going to come on here and at least briefly talk about it. I didn't know it would become such a controversy, and so from the little bit that I saw, I was like, okay, so basically he's saying that any part of the America, South America, North America, all these different countries are all American.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wait, But we didn't know that at the time, because again, well, I.
Speaker 2: Mean that's when I gathered from it. I thought it was going to be like an anti Ice statement. When it wasn't, I was like, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Would just want to provide a little context here. So we watched the game on Sunday, obviously Super Bowl Sunday. We came in here the next morning, it was Monday morning. We were like glowing from our wind, like we indicated on the episode, and we offered up our opinion on all things, including the halftime show. It was at that point that I think, just in the internet space and in the media, that they were all all these narratives began to be pushed. We had tons of people referencing Glenn Beck, who as far as like breaking down.
Speaker 2: So there were some there were different podcasters that I guess a lot of you guys listened to that broke down the bad bunny lyrics. He's saying, I think four songs. One of them was explicit, the other three they really weren't, So one was bad. Now a lot of people are saying, why wasn't he fine? Why wasn't he you know, why was he allowed to sing this song and everything?
Speaker 3: So what was explained.
Speaker 2: After the fact after, Like, if you look up the original lyrics, the song is horrible. We didn't know that at the time when we recorded the podcast. We just came on here and talked like we were talking.
Speaker 1: We didn't understand what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't know what they were saying.
Speaker 2: When I read the lyrics, I was like, oh my gosh, yeah, that the song was really really bad. But then later I discovered through doing more research that the really explicit parts were actually retracted.
Speaker 3: From the song.
Speaker 2: He didn't sing them or perform there was It was the radio version, So the really bad parts where you're like, oh, wow, he actually didn't sing those during And I'm not defending him. I think he was a horrible garbage choice. Nobody knew who he was. He sings explicit content, he dresses in women's clothing, he does all kinds of stuff that I would consider not family friendly. The NFL is definitely just like sticking it to Yeah.
Speaker 1: I will say, maybe we didn't place enough emphasis on that part of it. We didn't like the choice the dancers, the like the gyration and everything, and maybe sad to say on our part, but it wasn't just that Partners wasn't surprising or shocking. It was completely expected by both myself and Melissa, and so when we saw it, I don't know that it required any further comment. Show maybe pointed that on the episode.
Speaker 2: Sure, but we're I guess I wasn't surprised by the dancing because a lot of people are referencing the dancing. I wasn't surprised by it because it's no different than what we saw last year or the year before, or the year before or the year before.
Speaker 3: I mean, it goes all the way back.
Speaker 2: Rihanna's dancing her halftime show was by far way more gross and she.
Speaker 3: Was pregnant while doing it.
Speaker 2: And then like j Low's and Shakiro were poll dancing during the halftime show, Beyonce's dancers were like a newer and they were dancing just as bad. It's the norm that it's just gross, which is why Turning Point offered up an alternative, and I think that's great.
Speaker 3: I think that we can You know.
Speaker 2: Everybody speaks with viewership because you were ship equals dollars, you speak with your dollars. So I think it's great that there's an alternative. So what I stated last week that really upset people's right is where I got in trouble there that Kid Rock wouldn't have been my personal choice for family friendly entertainer because I don't consider kid Rock to be family friendly. Now, if you aren't very familiar with kid Rock, and all you know is what you've seen lately or what you've been told through other podcasts, then I can understand why you were upset with me. But I grew up listening to kid Rock and seeing his many arrests and the stuff he does and the heavy oh yeah multiple times for different assaults, and the video that you know, so there is stuff like kid Rock. To me was always I wasn't allowed to listen to Kid Rock.
Speaker 1: We foolheartedly believe in the power of redemption.
Speaker 2: Yes, however, okay, so this is this is where else I got in trouble. So I had quite a few Christian people saying, well, so how dare you judge him? Because he is now saved, he is now a Christian, he's now a christ follower. Therefore, you are not allowed to cast judgment. You're not allowed to cast shade. I was accused of doing or question somebody's salvation.
Speaker 3: Now I know Matthew.
Speaker 2: Seven verse one, you know, judge not lest you be judged, And I understand that. I do feel like that verse is taken out of context. I know, because we all it's not that you should go around judging everyone like obviously, like if you continue reading, it talks about removing the plank out of your own eye so that you can help the person with the speck in their eye. It doesn't say don't help your neighbor with the speck in their eye. It says, first, remove the plank out of your own and so I.
Speaker 1: Think it's more roll capable of judgment. Well, what is judgment without authority? I guess because kind of always my thing. You're you're able to form your own opinions, and you should. You should fully embrace that. It helps you to navigate the world and help you to stay safe. Okay, you're casting judgment upon somebody anybody moving on.
Speaker 2: So okay, So going back a little bit before I really did into the whole judgment thing is because I'm not like a judging mcjudge your pants. But I do use discernment and I do use caution based on people's past actions because I think that there's a character issue and can people change. Yes, people are like, what about the Apostle Paul. Yes, the Apostle Paul was a terrible person, hunting down Christians and advocating for their murder, and then he became the Apostle to the gentile and a great great man. Now that doesn't mean that just because somebody claims to be a Christian that now we can no longer question anything.
Speaker 3: That ever happened in the past.
Speaker 2: We have to just accept their word and then just blindly trust them.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about skepticism. Yeah, based on person's prior actions, we have to use that.
Speaker 2: So think about the church body, Like you can have somebody that gets out of prison for a crime against a child and they say, I'm now completely new, I've found Christ and I'm a different person, and I left that person in the past and I would never ever harm a child again do we and they want to work.
Speaker 3: In the Sunday school. And we see this in churches, we see it.
Speaker 2: I mean there was a church right by where we used to live in Washington State that allowed somebody who served time in prison for a crime against a child to serve in their Sunday school.
Speaker 3: And then seven.
Speaker 2: More victims over the course of three years, ended up surfacing because they trusted what this man said.
Speaker 1: We can discount a person's past, all that has to be higging into consideration.
Speaker 3: I think it's okay to use discern mine.
Speaker 1: Yes, I completely agree with you, especially as a parent. So with regard to kid Rock, So with regard.
Speaker 2: To kid Rock, he has a colorful past and a colorful present.
Speaker 3: It's not that he's just like this, you know, like yes, like let's have tea.
Speaker 2: You know, kid Rock is kid Rock, Like he still gets up there and like like you know his music, yeah, and you know he's still you know, on his Instagram there's still a pretty recent picture of remember when bud Light didn't suck, And he's got Pamela Anderson crawling on him in underwear and you know, like.
Speaker 3: He's still a little rough around the edges. And that's fine.
Speaker 2: You can be a Christian and be rough around the edges. God tends to pick people that are rough around the edges. We are a little rough around the edges. All I'm saying was he wouldn't have been my first pick for family friendly alternative entertainment because what I saw when I did watch the halftime show was that he performed one of his more sketchy songs in my opinion, and he performed it in English where we could understand the lyrics.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the song.
Speaker 2: So the very first song that he came out and performed, he sang verse one two.
Speaker 3: A lot of people were like, I didn't hear any bad.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, maybe he just couldn't understand him, because if you actually go and look up the.
Speaker 4: Lyrics, I don't consider that should be family friendly copyright trick. Maybe I'm an uppity, old prissy mom, but I don't find that song verse one to be family friendly.
Speaker 1: It's artistic expression. And maybe some people have a very through low threshold for this.
Speaker 3: I guess they do. With the kid.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've ever considered you to be one of those people. But yeah, from a parental perspective. If Turning Point is going to market their entire show as being quote unquote family friendly, which was that the case?
Speaker 2: I just want to I mean, people were calling it the family friendly one.
Speaker 3: I don't know that Turning Point did so.
Speaker 1: And the point, the point you made to me here in our private discussion here in our home, was that bad bunny, right.
Speaker 2: We didn't expect anything good from him. I expected that.
Speaker 3: That to suck.
Speaker 1: There were no curse words in his performance. They were retracted.
Speaker 2: They were retracted instead of using the effort because people are accused four efforts.
Speaker 3: No, he actually said fight.
Speaker 1: Not that that's read either. He's on Marvel Choice Television and FCC being the FCC right covers.
Speaker 3: Fine.
Speaker 1: You pointed out that Kid Rock during his performance actually swore.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, can I can I just read you what he actually sang at the Turning Point halftime show verse one. This is this is what it is, and this is for the questions that don't have answers. The Midnight Glancers and the topless Dancers, the can of Freaks, cars packed with speakers, the G's with the forties and the Clicks with the fevers. Okay, the Northern Lights and Southern comfort, and it don't matter if your veins are punctured. Reference to heroin, all the crackheads, the critics, the cynics, and all my heroes at the methadone clinics, all you bastards at the I R s. For the crooked cops and the cluttered desks, for the shots of Jack and the caps of meth, half pints of love and fifth of stress. All the hookers that are tricking out in Hollywood like this. He sang this live the Alternative Halftime Show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that song, and I'm not going to like that for kid rock. First, well, I thinks hilarious that you're not one of these moms.
Speaker 3: I know read how old I am.
Speaker 1: That song is from when we were in high school. I think like that.
Speaker 3: I remember so I heard it and I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: Like that's what he said. His entire messaging with his performance is the fact that he's a change man now and he left all that in the past, right, so fair enough.
Speaker 2: Like for me, I loved the symbolism. I loved this is the you know, kid rock, and then he's being kid rock and then like, don't I know I look so old right now?
Speaker 3: Oh? God, my kids are gonna cringe.
Speaker 2: And then the name goes out, and then there's that beautiful duo that plays like the orchestra music.
Speaker 3: Yes, and then he's.
Speaker 2: Reintroduced as Richie right, his real name, and he comes out and he shares the gospel, and to me, that was so powerful and so beautiful, and I absolutely love it. I just wish that maybe, like maybe if he had come out and just did the like kid rock part and then saying that first part you.
Speaker 3: Know it of the song and then maybe didn't.
Speaker 2: Sing verse one and then like the like I feel like it could have been done a little bit more family friendly, just me if I were in charge. Clearly I'm not because I'm a big lame, dorky mom that thinks everything's inappropriate, so clearly I don't get to be in charge. It was my personal opinion that I didn't find that to be family friendly either, and I have questions about, you know, whether or not.
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know what.
Speaker 2: I just want to see everybody doing better and everyone trying to protect the little innocent ears of children. If you know kids are going to be watching, they're gonna be in the audience, Like we can all do a little bit better. The NFL can do a whole lot better, like way better. Why haven't we done a Carrie Underwood halftime show? She works with the NFL. She's an incredible live performer. She keeps it clean. Like, let's do like Carrie Underwood and like Chris Stapleton, or he did the National Anthem and it was so good. It was so good, So let's do a time show anyway. I'm just I just think we can all do better, Like why does it always have to be provocative?
Speaker 3: Why does it always have to be dirty? Why does it always have to.
Speaker 1: Have like because it works because it's defective.
Speaker 2: I just think like if they did a really clean one, everybody would like it.
Speaker 1: Cold Play Coldplay was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but everyone made fun of that choice, like, oh Coldplay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I was one of those people, but actually end up liking it.
Speaker 3: It was really good. It was clean. I mean, I thought that Bruno Mars one was good. I don't know. Anyway.
Speaker 2: People were upset that they felt that I was judging kid Rock, and I'm not judging his salvation.
Speaker 3: I would never do that.
Speaker 2: Kid Rock could be a completely changed person, and I seriously pray to God that he is, because he'd be very powerful, you know, or he is being the fact that.
Speaker 1: You were questioning his authenticity in the moment as Parmy, maybe we got people riled up, and all you were saying just for the sake of clarification here like you if you're not, you don't you have you don't have any real reason to doubt his authenticity with his current day messaging. He does have a very checkered pass and that is valid and relevant and something that should be taken in consideration. And these are the things that you referenced last week.
Speaker 2: Me as a parent to remain cautious. Would I want him to hang out with Niveah? Probably not, based on past references to young girls and stuff.
Speaker 3: No, I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Yeah. The thing the thing that I found the most troubling was what it is was that you brought up last week about was the lyrics.
Speaker 3: Oh, the lyrics?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he has lyrics in a song that's young.
Speaker 3: Ladies, young ladies like a underage. Some call it statutory, but you know what it would be.
Speaker 1: For him, and not that it would be necessarily wise for him to do so, but to address some of this stuff head.
Speaker 3: On, like yeah, like yeah, that used to be me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, like offer up just maybe what his mindset was, and hey, that was me in the past. Not that you need to like explain yourself. Like I said, I'm not good. I'm not a pr person.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's better to just like let the past be the past. But I mean those of us that grew up with it are going to remember it. So yeah, no, I hope that he's a completely changed person, and maybe he is. And nobody's salvation is anyone else is to judge us between you and your creator.
Speaker 3: But when you say that you.
Speaker 2: Can't judge anyone at any time, I think that for a Yeah, I just think that that's very disingenuous and kind of hypocritical, because everybody makes judgments every day. When you go to a job interview, the person interviewing you.
Speaker 3: Is judging you.
Speaker 2: They're judging your past, or judging your education, They're judging what other people have said about you. They're making a judgment on whether or not to hire you. When you interview a nanny for your children, you are judging that person. It's an interview judgment. You're judging the way that they make you feel. You're judging the answers that they have to your questions. You're judging what people in the past have said. When you're walking down the street at night and you see somebody walking towards you and they look a little sketchy, like it's not a little old lady, you will make a judgment on whether or not to cross the street based on that person's appearance alone. And if you don't make that, if you're like, nope, I can't judge anyone, and you just keep walking and the hair is on your neck, are standing up like cross the street and you're like nope, can't judge anyone, and then they shank you prison style. You're gonna wish that you had listened to Jiminy Cricket, Like, we judge people every day based on their actions, their words, mostly their actions, and sometimes just the way that the way that they make us feel.
Speaker 3: Sometimes people just feel off.
Speaker 2: And as parents, you have to judge people to know who's safe and who's not around your family.
Speaker 3: And if you're not.
Speaker 2: Making judgments because you feel like you can't, then you're not being a good or safe parent.
Speaker 1: Are we talking about like an evaluation or an assessment. Because when I think of the word judgment, like I said, always think that it has some weights behind it. Yeah, Like a judgment is something that is cast from somebody with a means of authority, right, you know what I mean. And I think biblically that's what we're referring to as well. Yeah, but you to a form year own opinion to have that discernment, exercise that discernment is not the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't say like that person's not safe. Like if I came on here and I was like, I don't leave Kid Rock and I don't think he's saved, and I think he's going to Hell, that's judging somebody's salvation. Ye.
Speaker 1: Just still, there's no judgment. You're not changing anything, You're not altering his life moving forward. That's you're expressing an opinion based on your own analysis and discernment. That's not the same as judgment. That's what I mean. All Right, Guys, we've been telling you all about Angel Studios for quite a while now, and that's because they're producing fantastic faith based films, documentaries, and children's programming. We've previously struggled to find programming that aligns with our family's values and isn't completely corning because if we're all being honest with one another, some of the faith based films can be just a little cheesy and they aren't necessarily that entertaining.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to agree, but Angel is actually breaking them mold by creating exceptional films and shows that are exciting, relatable, and actually good, like really really good. They also have some really great children's content like Young David, King of Kings and the title Twins that kind of shows that you can feel good about your children watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this week I was exploring some of the new content that Angel's bringing us this year, including the already in theaters very lighthearted comedy solo meal Young Washington, which is coming out in July for America's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary. It looks excellent, And another one that I'm so excited to watch with the kids is an animated adaptation of Oril's Animal Farm, which is coming out in just a couple of months.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, if you're tired of the same old streaming platforms that are filled with garbage, and you are looking for something that inspires and stands strong with your family morals. Definitely go check out Angel Studios.
Speaker 1: So right now, when you join Angel Guild Premium, you'll get two free tickets to go see Solo Meal in theaters. Plus you can start streaming incredible titles like Homestead, Sound, The Freedom, The Last Rodeo, and more.
Speaker 2: We are so happy to support them, and we'd love for you to join us and enjoy all the Angel Studios has to offer. To sign up today, just go to angel dot com. Slash nWo has to become a Premium Angel Guild member. I think that it just gets used out of context, and then everybody goes around judging people throughout their lives. That's how you know who's good to have in your life and who's not good to have in your life. You make a judgment on whether or not you're going to date someone when you're on a date. You make a judgment on whether or not you're going to have a second date with somebody. These are judgments, so like you can't say, well, I can't judge that person. And they totally gave me the ick and I didn't really like that. They've you know, served some time in prison. But he asked me on a second date, and I shouldn't judge him, like.
Speaker 3: No, of course not. You shouldn't go on a second date with that person.
Speaker 1: So, if I'm hearing you right, you're doubling down. Basically, you were not ashamed you expressed.
Speaker 2: I am saying that I think that that the verse is used is cherry picked and used anytime that somebody doesn't like what you're saying.
Speaker 1: I'm saying with with what it is that you've expressed on the podcast episode last week that got you in a little bit of trouble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean, I I stand by what I said. He wouldn't have been my first choice because I, like, I really found the first song to be not family friendly, inappropriate, and not necessary, and so I kind of wish that he had made a different choice in that regard. And you know, but I mean, I understand the symbolism. I think the story was beautiful.
Speaker 1: I just yeah, his messaging was great. The part of this that really bothered me. And it is like when you were referencing thisbody put like this was off brand for us. We don't come in here or do anything that we eventually post online with the mindset of like, oh is this on brand, Like, we're not those people. I know that there are a lot of people that operate online like that, we are not one of them. Another thing that stood out to me that I felt like I wanted to address is just the fact that, like, well, you guys should have done more research before talking about this subject. Do we always do a lot of research? No? Do we do? Sometimes do we not do any research? Looking at myself in prett regular Yeah, it doesn't mean that I can't come in here and also express my opinion. This is not a news outlet. We are not a legacy media source for all of you to come on here and educate yourself. Sometimes we're just expressing our opinions. We've said this before, like.
Speaker 2: If something's going on in the news or that a lot of people are talking about it, sometimes we don't want to go on and listen to what everyone else is saying about it and then parrot that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sometimes it's done intentionally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we want to be more authentic and that like we're not just repeating what everybody else is repeating, Like there was definitely like a narrative around the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's what other people it was like I thought you guys were on this side, and so you should have been parroting what everybody else.
Speaker 2: Also narrative, this is unexpected, like everybody celebrated this and you're poking holes.
Speaker 1: And I will say, as a result, does that mean that you guys are going to be sometimes right when you say that we're dumb and we shouldn't speak about certain things? One hundred percent. We're not coming in here trying to be correct or right. We're just expressing our opinions. I feel like I've said this before, I pointed this out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like if you were at our house for a barbecue and we're just talking about this stuff, this is how we talk about it.
Speaker 3: You're like you're just talking with your friends and.
Speaker 1: Stuff that doesn't jive for anybody out there. As if you were like, I understand it, I respect it, I do appreciate the feedback like that feedback is always one hundred percent welcomed here, and I'm not I would never make the claim like, oh, we're right and anybody else is wrong, or you guys are right and we were one hundred percent roight, Like I'm glad that you're standing up for what it is. That you believe in and you're you're standing by what it is that you reference.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, and I'm glad that people ask me to clarify. But yeah, so to clarify, we hadn't read the Bad Bunny lyrics.
Speaker 2: They were worse, and we thought, apparently he didn't sing the worst of parts, but the song is inappropriate. It should not have been performed. I found the dancing to be discussing. I found the choice to be completely pointless and a total just kind of up tours from the NFL.
Speaker 3: So I didn't like that.
Speaker 2: I wasn't meaning to defend Bad Money in any way, Like I really thought that was a garbage show. I really liked the turning point one. I thought all of it was great. I thought all of the performers were really wonderful. I just didn't like that one little portion that I thought could have been nixed. Like if it were up to me, I would have been like, eh, Richie, could we maybe like that a little early, like, maybe don't perform the full verse one because there's some you know, children that are gonna be listening to this as a safe alternative, and it's in English, and there's some references to some shady characters.
Speaker 1: Okay, there you go. So you guys make sense of our mindset coming in here last week and saying what we said.
Speaker 3: I don't know, maybe that's just gonna make people more mad, so bed.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving on, staying on the topic of mostly kind of catching a lot of flak this week, reluctantly sold our horse, LExEN. And for those of you who have been watching Good Simple Living for quite a long time, know that he was our horse. You said three years on the video. I think it's been more than three years, though it has.
Speaker 2: I think it was, yeah, four years in September, maybe four years, so it's been like three and a half.
Speaker 1: Regardless, it's something that we were bummed to have to do. We tried to lay it out for everybody out there ahead of time. But Melissa in the comments once again like people were just giving mama like it's been a tough week from a tough week. Yeah, try to be very receptive to everything. Like I just mentioned a second ago, that everybody has to say with regards to anything to put out there, I appreciate your input, appreciate you watching. And we tried to lay the foundational groundwork for like, hey, we're making plans to sell the horse here. But I think seeing lex In back in the trailer.
Speaker 3: Showed his eyes just look sad. That's just a look on his face. His eyes always look like that.
Speaker 1: No, but we were both really sad about it. And but then people, I think a lot of horse people, maybe non horse.
Speaker 3: People, non horse people, you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't have another animal. How dare you get rid of that horse? That poor horse. The worst thing that ever happened to that horse was meeting you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean no, I don't think so. He was on the reds when I found him.
Speaker 1: Explain yourself.
Speaker 2: No, actually he was on the farm at Root sixty six, so he was fine over there. But he would have been sold to who knows, you know.
Speaker 5: But anyway, so with LExEN as a as a young rider, there was not a horse that I wouldn't ride, Like, I'm not afraid of riding.
Speaker 2: Like Jeremy seeing me ride and it made him really nervous because he's like, Okay, you look care like you're just like running down the stretch.
Speaker 1: You would cut that one corner. Yeah, I'm not a horse guy. Melissa is very talented with with riding, and she would just haul chi booty and cut these corns on, like please don't follow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've done barrels and things like that. So like, my balance on a horse is really good. I feel really confident of horse changes directions that I can. You know, I'm I have a you know, I'm sticky, so I can. But I'm not afraid of LExEN. But I know that Lexin is capable of hurting somebody and it doesn't take much.
Speaker 1: She was erratic.
Speaker 2: He was very erratic, and he was very spooky, and so that was a problem for me, and I didn't know that about him when I got him. And people are like, you can't just sell a horse that doesn't work for you. You have to make it work. No, you don't. You don't have to make it work. And if you force it and you try to make something a fit, that isn't a fit.
Speaker 3: This is how people get killed or paralyzed.
Speaker 2: And that horse bucked off my cousin and broke his back and his ribs. Now, he's never bucked with me, but when I saw that, I knew that he was then capable of it.
Speaker 1: And sorry, Matty about that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that that horse was capable of that, and that was two years into owning him. We sent him to trainers, We hired people, we tried, and what every trainer told us at the end was this is not a family horse. And the last trainer had him for two months, bunch of money into them, and she was like, you need to sell him. He's not ever going to be a family I don't like.
Speaker 1: Hearing that though, And they'll just take thousand excused, like yeah. The mentality seemed to be like, hey, you took this horse all like, he's not your responsibility for life.
Speaker 2: But I feel like because they're like, oh, you know, I adopt animals and I would never move an animal. I said, well, are you a parent? And no, the dogs are my Okay, you're not a parent.
Speaker 1: Well, not all animals are the same, right.
Speaker 2: Like if you're talking at a cat, now, if you're talking about a dog, I said, well, would you keep a dog if you found out that it bites?
Speaker 3: I know my dogs don't bite.
Speaker 2: No dogs are animals, And I know people personally that have had dogs for three and four years that all of a sudden bit somebody.
Speaker 1: Loodle's not biting anywhere.
Speaker 2: I mean he's a Golden retriever. This is kind of breed specific. But let's say you adopt pit bulls. I'm going to pick on that breed for a second.
Speaker 1: Because before we even go there, I've owned three pit boles in my life.
Speaker 3: I've owned two, just so we're on the stackage here.
Speaker 2: One was a nightmare. One was very docile. Yeah, but was he capable?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean it's breed specific. So let's say that you adopt pipples. They're very, very sweet. You have a child two years in the child pulls on in the ear or something like a baby would do like Micah has no you know, he would pull and roll all over a dog he doesn't have any pole hair things, and the dog gets annoyed and bites. Do you then feel obligated to keep that dog over the safety of your child. If you do, you have no business being a parent. And I feel the same way with horses, only horses are bigger and they're more capable of destruction and hurting and killing and maiming.
Speaker 1: It's a bad analogy in a sense though, because Lexin didn't have the personality and demeanor of like uh of, he wasn't violent. I mean, I think I suppose all of them are capable, because there's thousand pound animals, but.
Speaker 3: The horses are capable. But there's good fits and bad fit.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say it was just simply a compatibility issue between him and also he was a great horse. I missed him tremendously like that. When he was driving off, I was legitimately bummed. Yeah, so was I.
Speaker 3: I thought Lexon was going to be my forever horse.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Picked him out. I loved him.
Speaker 2: His grand manners were amazing him and I actually rode really well together. But yeah, it sucks just knowing that he's capable, and more than capable because he's very spooky, so he would just fly off whenever, like you never knew when something was going to set Lexon off. And I thought, if I wasn't paying attention or I had my feet out of the stirrups, or I was you know, something happened and I got you know, paralyzed, or I broke something or worse, it would just be so irresponsible. And then to be able to look back and say, you know, I always kind of knew this about this horse.
Speaker 3: I knew he was a risk.
Speaker 2: As a parent, I think Anybody who's ever been a parent knows that your worst fear is something happening to your children, but your next worst fear is something happening to you and leaving your children, because like I know, that's like a huge fear of mine, because then it's like, then, what who's going to be their mom? Are they going to have a mom? Are is she going to be mean to them? Are they going to get what they need? Is there going to be this gaping hole in their lives? Like I fear leaving my children almost more than anything else.
Speaker 3: Like it's this nagging fear.
Speaker 2: And I remember my mom telling me that when I was a kid, and when I became eighteen, she's like, I feel sad that you guys aren't little anymore, but I feel relief because every day I worried about leaving you and having something happen. And so I have that fear too. And you can say it's an irrational fear, but I think every parent has it.
Speaker 1: I definitely have it the entire time. I'm also a cough leaving the house every day. It was a tremendous fear of mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, and I know that, yes, you can step off a curve and you can get smacked by a bus right or you can get sick and that's outside of your control. But you can minimize risk. And I think as parents it's smart to minimize risk to yourself and to your children. I mean, there's so many men that are like as soon as I became a dad, when my baby was born, I sold my motorcycle, like you hear that all the time. Or I sold my little car, my little race car that I always thought I would have.
Speaker 1: That le is dangerous again, I'm trying to pound home that. Yeah, it just was. It became a compatibility thing, Like we're getting older. Sorry mama, but riding at forty two is not the same as riding at sixteen.
Speaker 3: You don't bounce like you don't bounce like.
Speaker 1: You used to. You don't have the same balance that you once did, and the situation is just different. We've got five kids, four kids that were still really responsible for caring for day to day and it's just it didn't it didn't suit our life. Currently with word is that we find ourselves. I want to work too. We want to get another horse, because it's still a dream of Melissa and I to be able to ride around here, and you know, so we need to find another like Super.
Speaker 3: We need another Bruse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need another Blue, something that like we can both confidently hop on and yep, they're just very sound and won't take off on anyone.
Speaker 2: I need the horses that I know when the kids say, can we go out and ride? I don't have to go out there and wear them out or ride them first or anything. I want the kids to be able to go out there and be confident and be safe and be able to jump on bare back and ride around. And every horse is capable of being a horse, but there are some that are far less Like I really really would be surprised if Blue did anything stupid because he never has.
Speaker 1: So you don't have to. You shouldn't have to explain yourself to anybody. But so much of the feedback we got was negative and kind of targeted at you. But this is this is something that and people are just going to like, you're not going to convince anybody to just say that you're trying to justify it. But it's very common in like the horse community to because again, the compatibility is such a major factor when when finding and committee to a work.
Speaker 2: You can't tell. Like when you go test ride a horse, you can't tell. They can be so great in the arena that you're riding them in, and then you get them back to your house and they're still great, and then their true colors start to show over the course of like six months or even a year, like little little quirks, little things like.
Speaker 3: That you didn't know set them off.
Speaker 1: Like dating somebody, Yeah, exactly, can't tell from a first day.
Speaker 2: You can't like things that you didn't know scared them like you could. Everything's been fine. They've been desensitized in so many ways. Yeah, yeah, or a snake.
Speaker 1: Was across the path, or not the horse, but anyway.
Speaker 2: I mean, like with Debbie, she was really calm, but like one day I dropped my cell phone and she reared up, slipped over, pulled the whole round pen onto her. I mean it was insane because I dropped my phone.
Speaker 1: I was crazy, Like where did that come from? The pony we had? I think a lot of this also stems from the fact that we have gotten rid of We got rid of Debbie, we got rid of Cota, and now you're gonna ready to getting Redlex.
Speaker 3: It's hard to find a good fit horse.
Speaker 2: Horses have on average like ten owners, sometimes up to twenty owners because horses are horsey, and you have to find the right fit of horse and person and you can't force it. And so sometimes you have a horse for six months and you're like, this isn't a good fit. You have to be open to that, otherwise you're gonna get stuck with a horse that is going to hurt you or just you're not going to enjoy.
Speaker 1: Horses are horsey, Okay, yeah, for future reference.
Speaker 3: Yes, horses are horsey.
Speaker 2: So I mean ages are No, they're animals, and they're big animals. So I don't even know if the next one will be right for Again, it is.
Speaker 1: What it is. We are shopping for a replacement horse. I'm sure those people that are giving Melissa a hard time we're not happy about hearing that, but it is what it is. Never going to satisfy or appease everybody out there, But that's that's where we stand, and that's the explanation for it. Again, not that you should have to explain yourself. This isn't justification. It's just where we are in life. It's part of the reason that we're downsizing period. It's just you know, Melissa and are getting older, the older set of kids are getting older, and we might get back into like cheap one day, or having backyard chickens again one day. These are still things that we're incredibly passionate about. But between trying to like homeschool and raise our children here at home and running our own business and just all the work that is associated with that and trying to make sure that Melissa and I are in a good place, we have so much on our plate as it stands, and if that means that chickens need to go for the time being, the chickens are going to be gone.
Speaker 2: So I mean, yeah, we kind of like looked around and we did an assessment, and we're like, what is it that we can do to simplify our lives to be able to because we want to focus a lot on food production, and that takes so much time and diligence, and since we moved here, our garden has suffered so significantly, Like we haven't been good to gardeners because we've been so busy with this and this and this and this and this and this and this, and so it's like, if we can look around and we can nix a few things. We can actually have time to focus on what we really want to focus on.
Speaker 1: It's been so frustrating for me because we were like really good gardeners at one point.
Speaker 3: We were we love it so much, food about it.
Speaker 1: I love it, but just feeling like you don't have the time to like do everything it is that you want to do like it. And for me, it has primarily to do with the fact that the kids are getting older, Like I'd rather go take my boys to go do something like I want to go hiking the spring and summer whole lunch com on and I have been running and that's just something that I do with him as a means of like father son bonding. I don't necessarily want to run getting older, like it hurts, Yeah, but it's something that we can do together. And you know, when I'm committed to doing things like that and making that the priority, things like gardening are going to fall to the wayside. So while it does frustrate me, I'm okay with it. It's just where we are currently.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we all the chickens go.
Speaker 2: We gave the sheep to our friends, which I mean they just live right down the road, and they are not missing us. They're being so spoiled. They dressed up for Valentine's Day and.
Speaker 1: It's really cool that we're friends with these people too. Yeah we get to see them on a regular braces.
Speaker 2: Yeah we get to see the sheep all the time anyway. But yeah, they're doing awesome. So, I mean, we always make sure that our animals go to good places when we do need to move them along.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's just we're in a different season now.
Speaker 2: And when our kids were all little and we had like this adorable little farm, and I didn't do any of this, you know, like I wasn't working, and homeschool is so much simpler when everyone was in elementary school, and now it's harder now, and there's more.
Speaker 1: It's the irony of so many of us that broke into this online space doing things like this, you know, like hobby farming and home setting is at for those of us to where you know, we've taken it to such an extent that it's become like a full time job. It really has gotten in the way and it inhibited, ironically enough, our ability to do all of that farming and homesteading that so many of us originally desired for ourselves. Yeah, it's not thoselves I see it in a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, for sure.
Speaker 2: And I mean when we moved out here, like, yes, we were trying to homestead and be self sustaining, but we were also trying to build a house and raise a family, and so yeah, there's just a lot of things that kind of fellow the wayside that we want to get back now.
Speaker 3: And so it's just a matter of priority.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean with a horse, like I didn't have every day to go out there and train him. I mean he needed an hour day and I didn't have it. So unfortunately he had to go somewhere where they did have the time to do that. And so yeah, we'll find something old that doesn't need that.
Speaker 1: Okay. Final topic for today's episode of the podcast is something that Melissa brought to my attention, something that was pretty disturbing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: First you didn't think it was a big deal until you started looking.
Speaker 1: At it didn't sound real to me. Let's jump in showing we have said this repeatedly, but we were living in unprecedented times, seeing so many attacks against godly values and the family, So it's more important than ever that we have a plan to help our kids internalize what they believe and actually own it for themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's why we'd love what our friends over at Brave Books are doing. We know the team personally and so we truly know where their hearts are. And of course, you guys know that we teamed up with them to create Made to Be Ludo and they were so sweet and so charitable in helping us reach our goal for CCC, So they are such an incredible company to support.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Plus, their stories are actually incredible and exciting, and they help families teach old soul values like courage, hardware, humility, and of course faith, all without any harmful hidden agendas.
Speaker 2: Also, every book contains family games and conversation starters in the back to help everyone connect and talk about topics that actually matter today. And since your child is going to receive a beautiful new book every single month, Brave helps bring back that love of reading together in our homes.
Speaker 1: Plus, right now, when you join the Brave Book Club, you'll get our book Made to Be Lutle and a bonus bundle for free, along with new values based books every single month. You also get free access to Brave Plus, their parent vetted low stem streaming platform, which you and your child will really enjoy. So sign up just head over to bravebooks dot com last GSL.
Speaker 2: If you're like us and you've lived your life the best you can, you raised your family and maybe you even built something that you can leave behind for those that you love. But the truth is sometimes we are so busy building that we don't take the time to make sure that our family and our legacy are protected. But it's actually quite simple with trust and will online estate planning.
Speaker 1: Trust and Will makes it so easy to safeguard your children's future with stronger and smarter estate planning so that what you spend a lifetime building becomes a blessing and not a burden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately, many of us have seen the results of families fighting lengthy probate and costly attorneys when estates are not clearly and legally planned out using a trust, and none of us want to put our family through that.
Speaker 1: That's right, and you can also create a will plan in as little as thirty minutes to help protect with guardianship of your children and pets. Asset distribution and healthcare directives. Trust and Will products are state specific, attorney designed and customized to fit your needs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Trust and Will was designed by legal experts and designed to grow with you, which means you can easily update your planet every life stage and transition. They also have amazing customer service from real people, making the whole process so simple.
Speaker 1: So protect your legacy and loved ones today, tomorrow and beyond with Trust and Will, the most trusted name in online state planning. Just go to Trustinwill dot com slash New World and get twenty percent off. That's Trust and Will dot com slash New World. All right, Mama, tell me about all of this crazy stuff that is happening with Frieda who I brought up before. If you remember the breast milk ice cream, that is the brand we were talking about. But what's going on with these guys?
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is all the rage right now. There's a brand called Freedom Mom. Now, you guys might remember there was this not sucker for babies and you foot the end and the baby's nose when they had a cold, and then there was a straw and then you sucked on the end and you would watch the snot go up the straw and you would stop before I get to your mouth. Hopefully you never wanted to go gas. Yes, yeah, So that was their first product and it was called like freedom nose.
Speaker 3: I believe it was their first product. And then she the owner.
Speaker 2: Which is a mother of four and a businesswoman, she greatly expanded into there's Freedom mom, and there's freeda baby.
Speaker 1: And Chelsea her shorn Yes, okay, CEO.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's the CEO. She is a mom.
Speaker 2: Now the mistake I think she made was kind of the scrub Daddy mistake.
Speaker 3: Now it worked for scrub Daddy.
Speaker 1: Scrub Daddy's great. What scrub Daddy do scrub Daddy for me?
Speaker 2: Grub Daddy decided to hire a bunch of gen zers for their ad campaign marketing team. It became I mean, this is like softcore sometimes even more on their Instagram page. Their marketing is so dirty.
Speaker 1: Scrub Daddy.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I'm so out of the loop on these things. You bring this stuff up. And so here's how our day to day life goes in the house. There it comes downstairs. I was like, mom, look at this. And Melissa's like, hey, Novia, how about this? And they go back and forth, and meanwhile, I'm just like making breakfast for myself.
Speaker 3: Jeremy still only using Facebook.
Speaker 1: So then she was just giving me.
Speaker 2: A Two weeks after we see something, he's like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Did you see this for like, yeah, two weeks ago, because this just.
Speaker 1: Happened with one thing. That's why she's saying this. But she's trying to convince you to get on Instagram.
Speaker 3: I will not do it, remain on Facebook.
Speaker 1: I have no desire. I don't need more social media in my life, any less of it.
Speaker 6: Okay, So the scrub Daddy team anyway, hired a bunch of gen zs and their marketing is so dirty, I mean so dirty, but it has like skyrocketed the popularity of scrub Daddy because everyone thinks it's funny.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, oh yeah, so no wonder this is happening right, Well.
Speaker 3: It's not just them Duo Lingo the owl.
Speaker 2: Oh that owl is so dirty and so inappropriate and he's such a jerk and like that's what people like. Yeah, so again it's just a bunch of gen zers. Now, these people are not parents, they're younger, and they think everything is funny. I mean, there this is a group that makes like nine to eleven jokes and Holocaust jokes. They think everything is funny and everything is a.
Speaker 3: Free for all.
Speaker 1: What makes this difference about freedom? What makes this different about Freedom Baby, I think is their product lineup in the fact that they make things specifically for babies. Yeah, which makes this really weird and beyond I mean awkwards and not even the right word to use, because in the case of dual lingo, I think in a couple of examples that I have seen that I just remembered it was funny. At least the ones that I saw were funny. Maybe sometimes there are some vulgarities there.
Speaker 2: I find the scrub daddy stuff to go way too far, especially for Instagram, because there are children that you know it's there and like seek it out.
Speaker 1: But if it brings in, like if your sales go up and you gain popularity and followers online, it's no wonder that other companies are going to do the same thing.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's a lot of companies they jump on each other's stuff and leave inappropriate comments.
Speaker 3: Which is I think what you saw a little bit with Freeedo Baby.
Speaker 2: So the director of packaging who has since been removed from the website. This has become such a big deal and so many people are going over to Freedom Mom that they took the meat the team down.
Speaker 1: Do you want to provide some examples since we haven't as a about what it is that you were discussing. So Free to Baby has their online accounts, This on Instagram, one's on X that I'm looking at it.
Speaker 2: It's on Instagram, but they've kind of scrubbed the Instagram because it's become such a big deal. Their X page, I'm not sure if they've scrubbed it, but.
Speaker 1: Making some like sexually explicit, but like the semi borderline, like witty, so it's not too blatantly like discuss things.
Speaker 2: I think that it's a bunch of gen zers that thought it was funny. But because it's like it's products for babies, it's completely discussing and inappropriate.
Speaker 1: And given everything that's going on right now.
Speaker 2: So everything going on right now and with kids and the sexualization of children, I find it to be very distasteful.
Speaker 3: Again, maybe it's just me being uppity, like I can't.
Speaker 1: Even I want to provide you guys with examples of what we're talking about her Maybe you're familiar with it. But this one right now I'm looking at right now, I don't think I can read. Hopefully it's not in missard. Okay, camera, you can read this one.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, okay, So they have a snotsucker. I own it.
Speaker 2: I didn't know any of this when I bought this stuff. So I own the quick thermometer, the three and one thermometer, the snotsucker, and the nebulizer, all from Free to Baby. I use their oh crap cradle cap. That's what it's literally called, oh crap cradle cap.
Speaker 1: You have a problem with stuff like that. I had a.
Speaker 2: Problem with it that it didn't work, But no, I don't have a problem so much with that. It's a little weird to put crap on like whatever. Like when I got the bottle, I was like, that's weird, and that was kind of the and then I squirt it on his head and moved on with my day. But the snotsucker, which Mike absolutely hates that that thing. I was trying to vacumunt his nose and he was like acting like I was just torturing him. On the side of the box, it says I'm a power sucker and so that one, like, I guess I just didn't even notice that one there, right, And then on their humidifier on the box, it says, I get turned on easily because it's like a touch humidifier.
Speaker 3: But we all know what they're saying.
Speaker 1: So this is their product packaging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the three and one thermometer I just bought. And I did notice this box when I bought it. It was literally right before we left for our trip. On the side, it says, how about a quickie? And I just like and then like they have a rectal thermometer.
Speaker 1: Cuse okay, yeah, yeah, okay, No, don't take this too far. I just don't want to. It's it's so blatantly like over the top.
Speaker 3: Well, I wasn't gonna read all of them. It just says this is the closest your husband's going to get to a three song.
Speaker 1: See unnecessary, especially if you make good products. Let your product speak for yourself and just come up with some very straightforward advertising and marketing because it's it's their products for babies, and it is there parents that are buying it. I guess this is my biggest thing. Yeah, if you're talking about a sponging will be clever because it has a face and maybe like whatever, right, But when you're talking about parents, or especially like young parents like that are that are dealing with their six week old baby, like nobody wants to think or like being that mindset when considering a product to use on that very.
Speaker 3: Child freedom mom stuff's pretty bad too.
Speaker 2: It's just like very insensitive, Like it makes you feel like you're after you give birth and you're like gross and stretched down.
Speaker 1: A Brett Cooper example.
Speaker 2: Like Brett Cooper was talking about she got like the postpartum Kit and then she's like, literally I was reading the box and I was she was telling her Husban all it's like I just like this makes me feel like ichy.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. I don't like this brand.
Speaker 2: And then because it was like it talks about like clean yourself up, you're gross and like you're all stretched out now, and like.
Speaker 3: These kind of references that just are not what you like.
Speaker 2: It should be about, you know, the beauty of motherhood and self care, and like it was just inappropriate. But then when you look at the meet the team, it makes sense. It's a bunch of young people that aren't parents.
Speaker 1: So they're all like one of these parents, but they literally go out of their way to point.
Speaker 2: Out that they're not parents, Like none of them are parents except for the CEO. All of these people are like order processing specialist, dog mom, proud title, senior international e commerce manager. Technically I'm a parent. He just has four legs, a tail, and zero respect for human space personal space. A brand director is just a dog. First of all, that's my child. And then like the guy low Hers, like you know, I'm not a parent, but no.
Speaker 1: The heart stepped on enough ran director of packaging. That guy that you mention the hardest thing about being a parent or the kids, Wow, he loves children. Good for you. I think your kids never see that.
Speaker 2: I mean, to me, the worst thing is a picture of the baby when the snotsucker kind of went a rye and went all over their face. The reference to that picture is so disgusting, Like I don't know the worst one, that's by far the worst one, and it's somebody else's baby, and I just find that So.
Speaker 1: So what do you mean of somebody else's bab.
Speaker 2: I mean that's somebody sent that in as like probably funny of like, look what happened to my baby, and then they put the caption what.
Speaker 1: Do I do with this for the sake of the podcast episode? Do I put this stuff off on screen? I can't with that.
Speaker 2: There's I have a picture where the baby's blocked out. Yeah, but I mean there's just like all kinds of stuff on here, like relax well from here. It just it's so inappropriate, and it's every box and every product.
Speaker 3: It's not like, oh, you're just taking that too.
Speaker 1: Far again, I feel like I cannot you know what, I'm just going to put this one up on screen and everyone can read it for them.
Speaker 2: So it's important to show this stuff is hanging at Target, It's hanging in the shelves at Target.
Speaker 1: What are we doing? Like, where where do things go from here?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean the fact that we can not normalize this, but the fact that we all become so numb to.
Speaker 2: It's like if you don't think it's funny, then then you're just such a boomer, you know, Like I'm.
Speaker 1: Just I guess I'm just a little more disturbed by the fact that, like you said, this stuff is right like literally on their box. But even you said acknowledge you didn't even notice it because you've just kind of liked the whole bad money thing. We're so numbs to it. You you literally have just come to expect it and it doesn't even impact or affective in the way that maybe it should.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, yeah, I think we see it on you know, we see it on television, We see it in our advertising, we see it all over Instagram and Facebook.
Speaker 3: Ad can pains to desensitize.
Speaker 2: You become desensitized to it, and then it becomes like, oh, like if you if you don't think it's funny, then you're just old.
Speaker 1: It was dark tune like that. Yeah, that's the threesome one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the baby in that.
Speaker 1: That's beyond right, like dark, it's just dis yeah what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think that they totally miss the market.
Speaker 2: They're definitely hurting right now for it because a bunch of people are going in and finally, I mean, I'm assuming that they're going to revamp their packaging. If they don't they double down, then they're probably going to lose a lot of parents because parents aren't finding this gen Z humor funny.
Speaker 1: Are the products good though you've been using them?
Speaker 2: So I'm yeah, I mean I think the products are fine. I don't think that they's superior to any other products. They just they happen to be like a good cheap price point when they were available.
Speaker 1: On Amazon, Like, yeah, do we have to do this?
Speaker 2: I don't write it's unnecessary and it's inappropriate, and it sexualizes children, and it sexualizes parenthood and the innocence and the beauty of that, and it just kind of corrupts it and makes it something dirty and funny when it's something beautiful and pure and of God.
Speaker 1: And I just how did you catch win of this?
Speaker 2: Uh, it's just it's all over right now. People are just I've seen a bunch of I saw it on I saw the one thing on the box, and then I thought back on the cradle cap thing, and I thought like, okay, that's I told Nevada, I think gen Z is doing their marketing.
Speaker 3: But I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I had never gone down their Instagram page and looked at how disturbing.
Speaker 1: It is as the brand different now.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well my yeah, I unless they revamp their packaging, I guess, you know, you just got to do it with your ad dollars. But I mean even responses that they have like Netflix.
Speaker 3: Wrote what is something?
Speaker 2: Netflix writes a post on x saying, what is something that you can say during? But also when you manage a brand Twitter account, freeedo Baby jumps in there and they're like, oh, something you can say during and also something you would say is yeah in your mouth?
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what on earth? Hashtag knows freeda, which is our first product? Like your product is gross enough, but not having to add all that so.
Speaker 1: It's not the bote too much time to is so.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yeah, I just again, it kind of just goes back to like can't we all just do better? Like why does everything have to be dirty? Why does everything have to be like a raunchy joke in order to be funny.
Speaker 1: Because you're a stubborn bad bunny fan.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not a bad bunny fan at all.
Speaker 2: Like no, Like I think he's inappropriate too, Like why can't we just all do better? Why can't we just get back to like wholesome family stuff. Why is it only people that grew up with the wholesome not the wholesome neess.
Speaker 1: It's not flashy, it's not the dope mean here, it's not sexy, it's not appealing to most people nowadays, given what it is that we have access to.
Speaker 2: That's the reason why, I mean even comedians, like comedians just aren't even considered funny unless they're so raunchy and they're so over the top. The Netflix specials by every single comedian, you can't have your children watch any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's non marketed at kids. But like, my favorite comedians are those that are are clean and clever. You can come up with a bit that's really clever and like right in front of your face and very abundantly obvious, but you have some like weird, bizarre outlook on it, and that's what makes it funny. Like those are my favorite kind.
Speaker 3: I think that's harder to be funny though it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I just kind of wish everybody could do a little bit better. And we need to be really careful when we're talking about our children or anybody else's children, to like, let's keep this PG their kids, let them be kids, let them be innocent. Let's not make adult jokes around kids and say like, oh, well, the kids don't get it. Like I think it started with Shrek. Remember, like Shrek is funny, but it does have some adult humor that was like not necessarily a lot of in you, I know.
Speaker 3: And they say like, oh, that's for the parents.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, but the kids are watching too, and kids are clever and kids aren't stupid. They catch on to this stuff, and it's just why are we normalizing it for children? Even if it's geared for the parents, when it involves children, it's unnecessary. We all need to do better, Yeah.
Speaker 1: For sure. All right on that note, so I appreciate you guys being here once again. We will see you next week. Yes, yep, anything else you want to plug in here in the meantime.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah you feel better? Do you feel better?
Speaker 3: I mean, and I think people are going to be just as upset.
Speaker 2: I just it's just kind of where amount as a mom, maybe I'm just maybe I just am in a place where I want to see anything geared towards kids to just be a little bit more.
Speaker 1: It causes stress a little bit more. When you get a bunch of people, even just typing words online that are directed you, it causes a little bit of stress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what causes you to like, okay, was I off, like, am I not thinking clearly?
Speaker 3: Am Am I wrong in thinking this?
Speaker 1: And I appreciate that for that very reason, like it causes you to reflect and be like, no, let me revisit this.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 1: Was I right? And you know, like we're not perfect people. We will make this and if we do make a mistake, will come in here. But in this case, you felt okay about what she said?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I really did.
Speaker 2: And then like funny, the very next day, I watched Elie Bestuccy talk about it, and I thought that she did a much more eloquent job of explaining pretty much the exact same thing that I was saying. So after I listened to her podcast, I was like, yeah, that's like what I was trying to say. Maybe I just didn't say it in a good way.
Speaker 3: Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll happen.
Speaker 2: But yeah, she does a good job of explaining what I'm trying to say. If anyone wants to check that out, all right, this.
Speaker 1: Mine this one down, mama. So I appreciate all you guys out there, Thank you for being here. Once again. We'll see you next week here on New or Botsol Good sup a Living video will be out on Saturday. Yeah, you can catch that. In the meantime, you guys, take care of God bless We'll see you next week.