Speaker 1: Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs. Had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: I am old fashioned.
Speaker 3: I like two sexes.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think all of a sudden, I don't like being married to what is known as a new woman. I want a wife, not a competitor.
Speaker 1: Competitor, competitor, talk about a bit, this crying in the morning thing. It's depression, you know, Let's get that fixed. That's what men think, isn't it. What Unless you've got the answer, unless you can say, oh, I know this bloke in the essex rodical fix that, and there's no point bothering.
Speaker 2: How do you write women so well?
Speaker 4: I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability.
Speaker 5: I love him, I love him, and I don't care what you think.
Speaker 3: I love him for the for the man he wants to be, and I love him for the man that he almost is.
Speaker 6: What do people have rouse about him?
Speaker 2: Money?
Speaker 4: Sex, sex, money he wants, she doesn't want.
Speaker 2: She wants, he doesn't want women.
Speaker 5: I've always been a big problem to me, doctor fusbend.
Speaker 2: He listening.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, go on, gone.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, and welcome to the Male Female Hour on the Dennis Prager Show. Every week, the second hour of my program on Wednesdays is devoted to men and women. I call it the Male Female Hour because it's about the natures of us. It's not just about the man woman, but even deeper, the male female about us. So here is today's topic. It is about criticizing your spouse or your significant other. If you prefer that term, I can't stand it. But if we'll include that group as well, I cite a I won't cite the man who gave me this quote because I don't want to put him on the spot when he's not here. But it was a very witty, a witty line that a friend of mine told me many years ago. He said, in the beginning, God created men and critics. And whenever I have said this a speeches, people have cracked up, especially the men. The men, They absolutely adore this line. And it's the reason that people laugh at any such lines. People don't laugh at a line that they can't relate to. If I'd have said in the beginning, God created men and poets. I don't think anybody would laugh. They would say what do you mean? But nobody ever says what do you mean when I give the line God created in the beginning, God created men and critics. Now, we recently had a show about about certain of the things that men do that drive women nuts, and I I often agreed with them and added some thoughts of my own. This week, it's not so much about what women do that drive men nuts, and I'm only talking about the criticism thing. It's about both sexes. There are men who criticize their wives a great deal, so I want to talk to you about the issue. And by the way, this also applies to friends. Remember everything that applies to friends applies to marriages except for the sex part. And that's why I consider friendships to be so incredibly important. And I think people should date for friends just like they date for spouses. That's how important I consider friendships. But here is the question on criticism. How do you do it? When is it okay? And how much do you do it? Those are the questions, And oh wait, I'll tell you there's an even more important one in some senses, why do you do it? Are the criticisms coming from a good place. And so this is the issue. And I'd love to get your takes as much as I want to give you my take on this subject, because if you feel that there is this issue in your marriage or your relationship, I would be very interested in hearing, because I want others to hear as well about this subject. And the subject is criticizing our spouse or our boyfriend, girlfriend, significant other partner, whatever the term may be. I happen to like marriage, but that's not the specific issue here. It's the issue of men and critics, or indeed women and critics. So the uh, it's a tough line here to balance because on the one hand, if someone never says anything about any way at all in which you can do better, I mean, you know, is it a criticism to say you have something between your teeth after you've eaten? Is it a criticism to say you're you're speaking too loud at the restaurant? Uh? You know what, It's unnatural to never have anything of a critical nature to say to the person that you are involved with, and and loving criticism dispensed lovingly obviously coming from a loving spot, can be one of the greatest services you can you can perform in a marriage or in a friendship. But on the other hand, we all I think, either experienced or have seen elsewhere where there is simply too much of it where the relationship seems to be a continuous stream of criticism one eight Praeger seven seven six one eight p R A. G. E. R seven seven six. That's eight seven seven two four three triple seven six eight seven seven two four three triple seven six Is this an issue in your relationship? Have you given this thought? Here? Is? Here is a thought that you might want to consider. How about for have some sort of even keep account that for every criticism you offer, that it has been couched in eight positive statements about the other, that you have an eight to one ratio. I'm just throwing out a number. Maybe it should be three to one, maybe it should be fifty to one, But that you have some sort of ratio of positive reinforcing good statements to your spouse your partner as critical ones. And then you have to figure out, too, what is it you want? What is it that is coming Where is the criticism coming from? Is it is it really disguised anger? See? That's what and the recipient needs to figure out as well. Am I hypersensitive? Is this just a loving criticism or is it really just disguised anger? And is the person just hyper in what they want me to be? And is the criticism an attempt to change me? Or is it an attempt to improve me? And how much improvement? It's a very very complex issue. But the very fact that that I'm raising it is helpful because a lot of people don't even think about this. How much do I criticize? How much am I criticized? Where is it coming from? How what tone am I am I giving it? And what Let's put it this way, I think it's fair to say that the most harmonious relationship will probably have less criticism. Is that a fair statement? I mean, you look, it's one thing to be criticized by your boss. You know, I wish you had done a better job in X, Y or Z. Next time you submit this report, next time you go on this sales pitch, do this. It's one thing to be criticized by your boss. That's what a boss is there for. I mean, they hired you for a job. You've got to do the job well or they get rid of you. But your spouse isn't your boss. They didn't hire you while they did hire you. I take that back. Actually, I have a view of marriage as a form of hiring. We have I have hired a partner for life. That that's that's a fair statement. But putting that aside, uh, it is much harder for most people to take criticism from a loved one than from a boss, and it ought to be. By the way, I think you should take criticism from a boss very, very matter of factly. That's their job. I mean, if they're hyper, they're hyper. That's a separate issue. But you have to figure out how much. And my bottom line is that the less criticism, generally speaking, the more harmonious the relationship. A good A good relationship does not thrive on a lot of criticism, all right, Let's let's be honest. Maybe it does in work. Maybe two business partners thrive critiquing each other all the time for the sake of the business. That's possible, but it doesn't work in the micro. It does not work in a family life. In a family situation, that's different. By the way, then from kids, I think you should criticize your kids when necessary, But that's not an that's not a relationship of peers, And you're not seeking You shouldn't be seeking to be loved all the time you by your kids. You should be seeking to be loved all the time by your spouse. So the one of you that is doing a lot of criticizing might ask, am I am I rendering myself very lovable with all of this criticism. Now that doesn't mean there should never be. Of course there should be. But I do stick with this statement that the less there is, generally speaking, the more harmonious the relationship will be. I'll take your calls when we come back. This is the Male Female Hour on the Dennis Prager Show eight seven seven two four three triple seven six or one eight Praguer seven seven six, And I also love to read your emails on these subjects.
Speaker 1: Back momentarily this episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: We'll continue right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, Dennis Prager. Here the Male Female Hour on the Dennis Prager Show. Every week, this hour the second of my three hours on Wednesdays devoted to men and women. And this is a very complex subject. The issue of criticizing your spouse. My rule of thumb is the less the better on many grounds. One the less you do, maybe because the more you love about the person and therefore feel less necessary to do. Another reason is the less you do the more When you do it it can be heard. If you criticize so much, then eventually what really matters won't be heard in the din of all of the other critiques. And at a given point, how much do you love somebody that you continually criticize? What's to love? On the other hand, you know, we can all stand improvement in various areas, and and if you know the person loves you, you have to ask. And this is very very significant. Here is a toughie for a lot of people. You have to ask when you're criticized, is the person perhaps right. It's a fairly uncommon reaction because the instinctive reaction is to defend oneself. And you know, let me give you a macro example, because I get a fair share of very angry criticisms of me. I mean, I wouldn't even say criticism, say attacks on the internet and elsewhere. I mean, they're very public. You can you can easily find them if if you search, and I will be honest with you, I have learned to think that is there any legitimacy to the attack? I mean, the way they're saying it, I think very low of the person doing the attacking. But there are times that I will all say, well, is there any is the is the attack completely invalid or overwhelmingly invalid? Or is there some truth to it? Now? But that's easy for me to do because these are not the people I love in my life. Out of these are strangers writing, so I can easily do that. It's much harder with the spouse. I fully acknowledge. But still, if your spouse has credibility and you know that they love you and think well of you, that's the critical thing. Here. Here is a critical thing that you need to know. And then I'm going to take your calls. I think the man's name is John Gottman is in Seattle, considered by many to be the greatest expert on marriage in the country, on the relate un marital relations. He is so good at this, apparently that he can watch unobserved through a one way mirror. He can watch a couple for a few minutes and tell you in how long they'll divorce. I mean, the man is amazing, and he has said couples can recuperate from anything except one thing. They can recuperate from an infidelity. They can recuperate from the death of a child. They can recuperate from from the loss of jobs. They can recuperate from a terrible accident. They cannot recuperate if one has contempt for the other. It is the one thing you cannot A marriage cannot survive contempt. So if the criticism is either delivered contemptuously or is perceived as coming from contempt, then then it dooms the marriage. If it comes from love and from the opposite of contempt. Respect. If you know your spouse things highly of you. But just as you would tell a great baseball player, you know, let me just show you a little way you might you might hold the bat even better and do even better. That's a big difference from you know, you're a real loser, and and you know, and then then then there's no chance. All righty, And let's go to some of your calls here Atlanta, Georgia and Barbara, Hello, Barbara.
Speaker 7: Dennis Prager, Hi, my husband gave the greatest answer to my criticism. One day I was nitpicking at something and said, why did you do it that way? And he said, because I live to irritate you.
Speaker 2: That is See. I tell you, if men learn to use humor when there when their wife is a little annoyed, it is one of the great weapons at me disposal that they do not know of.
Speaker 7: Well that year, isn't It makes me think anytime I might say something to him, why am I criticizing him?
Speaker 2: You're a good wife. You're a good wife. But you admit then I'm sorry, he's a Oh well, that's sorry. Tell him tell him what you told me. I hope. Just as long as you tell him what you told me, that's that's great. So you basically agree with this comment. God created men and critics.
Speaker 7: In my case, yeah, I tend to be a little critical.
Speaker 2: Barbara, I love you. That was great. That was just great. See if she acknowledges it, I think there is Look, I think there's truth to the statement in this way. And God knows there were men who criticize their women to their they're women far too much, of course, but there is truth in this way. Did you ever notice how much more women groom their men? You never did you ever see once a guy flicking off little tiny pieces of god knows what from a woman's dress, his wife's dress. No, how often have you seen the wife fixing the guy's collar, tie, lapel, shirt, suit, jacket. Right. It always reminds me of the monkeys, and it does. It reminds me of the monkeys in the zoo when you're watching them groom each other. That's how I, for whatever reason, I always get that image in my mind. And so because there is a part of a woman, I do believe this, there is a part of female nature that would like their man to be perfect. I'm not saying it critically. I mean there are a whole host of images that men have and so on. Anyway, So let's go, let's continue to get more of the calls here, and we go to Catherine in Ulis, Texas. Hi, Catherine Dennis Prager, Hello, Hi.
Speaker 5: Rob married ten years this month. And I fully believe that with criticism it should be far and few between. My husband was part of the Christmas party and sing in a trio and his he had a solo at the beginning and he killed it. And he had all these compliments from everyone and as we're going home, he asked me how he did and I said, do you want me to be nice or do you want me to be honest? And he said, I want you to be honest. And so I thought for a minute and I said that was the best performance by Kermit the Frog. And he was quiet for a minute and then he just said, now you know my secret. I can't I can't sing in public. And so he just took it in stride.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have a big smile. I wish you could see me personally. I had a big smile on my face this whole dialogue that that you were recounting you did. You did a very job that that, and I'm on your side. I look, I think the less the better. That's what I said for a harmonious relationship. You know. I, in fact, I've always used this was this was given by Irving Crystal, the godfather of the neo Conservatism. Said, you know, there are folks in America always criticizing America. All they are constantly criticizing America. They say, well, we criticized it because we love it. He said, yeah, but what if a man criticized his wife as much? Would you say? He loved her, something to keep in mind. Stay tuned.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, and welcome back the Dennis Prager Show, The Male Female Hour, second hour, Wednesday week. I love your emails on this. It helps me writing my book Onto Male a Sexual Nature. By the way, but whatever the subject on male female, I keep them. I keep your letters on it, and I learn a lot from them, and you open up to me, because well, frankly, I'm pretty open. Subject today is the tough one of criticizing your spouse on a very complex subject. My bottom line is that generally speaking, the less the better. It doesn't mean none. None is not a good idea either, but the less the better. If your spouse is so worthy of criticism as for it to be a constant, then clearly you have chosen the wrong person to be married to. I mean, I mean, come on, let's be honest. If if you really are married to someone who is deserving of constant criticism, then you know, unless you have a philosophical, moral, religious, or reason to oppose a divorce, then it seemed to me that that would be the most logical thing. And even if you say, well, we're staying together for the children, it's a very difficult thing to answer. Is it better for children to see a parent constantly criticizing the other or to experience divorce? I don't know. I don't know the answer most not at answer I could give you is it depends on the child's nature. But it's hardly a beneficent experience for a child to see a spouse criticized all the time. The odds are that that's exactly what the child will do with either his or her spouse, or have done to him or her when they choose a spouse. So it's it's a it's a pretty tough thing. And what you might want to do is count how many how many criticisms have I offered my spouse this week? Make a list every time you do it, just write a little number down one aight. Praguer seven seven six, and let's go to Debbie Escandido, California. Hi, Debbie, Dennis Prager, Hi Dennis, thank.
Speaker 6: You for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Yeah this I've been married about ten years to my husband and he's a wonderful man, very capable I tell people there's nothing he really can't take apart and put back together. That he's very intelligent, but he tends to kind of pick at things, especially in my speech. If I've mispronounced a word or said something that he felt was incorrect, and it it over the years. Now it seems to have undermined my confidence in myself because he looks at it as I'm just giving you a suggestion on how to do that better. But you know, now I'll stop and I'll hesitate before I do something because I don't like the criticism.
Speaker 2: Now, now give me give me a specific example if you can.
Speaker 6: Well, if I've mispronounced a word, and he'll stop me like and say, no, you said that you should be said this way.
Speaker 2: Okay. Now, now is he doing that in front of others or just when you two were talking?
Speaker 5: Both?
Speaker 2: Okay? Well, I disagree about it being done in front of others, and I agree with it being done when you're alone. So I'm in the I'm between the two of you because in front of others is there's a humiliating aspect which should never never take place.
Speaker 6: Sometimes I feel like you knew what I meant.
Speaker 2: Yes, he does, but but and I'm just kind of well the question all right, So the question that then you have to say, Look, you could say to him, look, honey, the truth is, I don't care if I mispronounced words uh. When when I'm speaking to people, it does not It does not matter to me, and so he'll have to make peace with that. But I think it should matter to you.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I of course I do want to be speaking correctly, but you know, it's it's gotten to the point where I'll stop. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I understand because you're so self conscious. I understand. Well, that's why I this is. It's a very I can't I can't answer because I'm not present. That's why I The one no no I had was with regard to uh when you were in public, because in public uh, and anything that even smacks of humiliation is just is a no no. Uh. It's a it's a tough call there. I know I would want to be I would want to be like I speak for a living, so I would particularly want to be corrected by my wife anytime I mispronounced the word. Okay, anyway, I will continue. This is the Male Female Hour on The Dennis Prager Show. Hello, everybody. This is Dennis Prager the male female Hour, and the subject is criticism of your spouse. While no relationship should be criticism free, none, because it almost means you don't care about the person and you're not their close friend. A close friend does lovingly criticize. But it's how you do it, how often you do it, why you do it, those are the things that matter, and you have to be prepared to accept it under under the circumstances you you, the recipient of it, have to be you have to accept it under the circumstances that they are given with love and respect and solely to better you and so on. So these are these are these are appropriate. I have changed some of my driving habits, I will admit because of my wife's loving way of noting some of my tendencies. Uh, that's right, that's fine. All right, let's let's take more of your calls here. This is it's it's huge, it's a huge subject. Peter in San Antonio, Texas. Dennis Prager, thanks for calling behind. How are you okay? Thanks?
Speaker 4: Let me take you off speaker phone. Actually, yes, please do can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, I apologize. I appreciate your show, and I learned so much from you. I appreciate it. I think God's plan for marriage is oneness. So when you criticize your spouse, you're basically criticizing yourself. One of our the pastor when we first came to know the Lord, he used to have a good comeback and said, whenever you criticize each other, you'd say to each other, you know, well, you're just as this or that because you picked me, you married me, you knew my faults before we got married, more or less. And that has settled quite a few criticism sessions in our marriage. We've been married for twenty one years, right, and I think I criticized. I think I criticized my wife one than she criticizes me.
Speaker 2: So how did you How did you start reducing the amount of criticism? What changed your mind?
Speaker 4: Well, you ask God to give you a love for your wife, or or at least seeing things from her point of view.
Speaker 2: But but that's excellent. But even before that, what happened was you you went for counseling based on the on the amount of criticism.
Speaker 4: No, I think no, that this was a comment made from the pulpit.
Speaker 2: Oh, how interesting. Oh so that worked, Oh, very good. Bless that pastor see pastors and you know radio talk show. We never know what line will affect somebody. That's very important. Well, that's very good, and that's why I said earlier. Look, if if you find that you know you are you are being constantly criticized, or you are constantly criticizing, then then either you have to reduce it dramatically or realize that you were married to the wrong person. I mean, somebody worthy of fairly constant criticism is not terribly livable with right. I mean, one has to be honest with with one self, and the ratio of beautiful comments to criticisms has to be a very high one. That's the thing that you that that I want to leave that with you is I want to embed that in your mind that there be this very large ratio of compliment to critique. If it's you, you've made the person raw. It's like they have a broken bone and you keep hitting it. If the if criticism is the primary mode of expression that you have toward your spouse, Okay, uh, let's go to some more of your calls here and uh oh, here's an important one. San Antonio Texas. Laura Hi, Laura.
Speaker 3: Dennis Prager, Hi, Dennis Hi, I should get together with Peter in San Antonio. The laugh collor right, you should. Contentous family growing up, and I never really could identify who was the most offending, my mother or my father. It just helped shape me as a married person to determine to not be as argumentative as they were. And something interesting happened. My father died suddenly in nineteen ninety two, and within that next year, my mother said something to me that really surprised me, and it was typically an ownership type statement. She said, I was responsible for ninety five percent of the arguments that we had.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: She made me really sorry for her because of forty three years. You know, it takes its toll. There's a cost, there's a price every single.
Speaker 7: Time, you know.
Speaker 3: Pick now. She found her repentance in it, and she's totally whole and good and healed from it. But it just showed me that I was right, you know myself.
Speaker 2: Thirty three years go to well, you were a very wise young woman then, Because it is just as likely to repeat parental errors as it is to learn from them, to do.
Speaker 3: The opposite, absolutely and it's frankly, it can just be habitual. It doesn't have to be very scientific. It can just be thinking habitual.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's exactly right, that's exactly right, well said. That's why. Look, if there's a lot of it in your marriage, it's not good, folks. I mean, it's something to know, it's something to know. It needs to be reduced. The amount of compliments has to be increased, it has to be cushioned. You have to figure out what it is. And if the person is really worthy of such constant criticism, then you shouldn't be with that person. Now, if if for philosophical, religious, familial, psychological, financial reasons you can't divorce, then you don't divorce. Fine, But I mean, I'm only mentioning the d word, the divorce word, not to encourage, but to tell you how serious constant criticism is. That a divorce may well be preferable to that for all concerned, not just the spouses, even perhaps for the children. So this is a very big deal. It's not just a nuisance. It's it's it's destructive after a while. And if you're and and even if your criticisms are legitimate, then if your criticism is legitimate, then it just reinforces the D word back in a moment.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom. You say hello.
Speaker 2: Hello, alrighty hello, I say hello, Dennis Prager Here the Male female Hour, terrific calls on a very important subject. Your emails will always be appreciated and read, even if I can't, of course respond to all of them. The issue of criticism and uh, let me let me summarize some here. I know Paul in Minnesota has been on since the beginning. I feel terrible more critical of he's been more. It's about criticizing your spouse. This hour has been. By the way, you can get a copy of this hour, or of all my hours at a ridiculously nominal fee. Call eight hundred two two five eight five eight four. This this hour alone might be able to save some of your marriages. Eight hundred two two five eight five eight four For all of my shows, and to just get this hour or this show, or just get all of them downloadable again. It's at Dennis Prager dot com or at eight hundred two two five eight five eight for prager topia, as I subscribe, And here is one where I think a spouse might be better able to listen to a stranger quote unquote, in other words, a third party me than perhaps to you. But the rule has to be that the fewer the better. In terms of criticisms, doesn't mean none, though, does not mean none. So Paul's more critical of his wife, especially in regard to organizing the house. Well, you just got to figure out a way to I'm not saying you can. I'm not a utopian, but figure out a way for you to minimize your criticism and to for her or you both to figure out how a better way to organize the house, or you figure out how to live with it. Something has to give because continuing this way is just going to be a bad marriage. You don't like the wish you organized the house, and you keep criticizing, something has to give. I mean, and there are a lot of variables there. If I am in Atlanta, Georgia, this is one has to choose in marriage between peace and truth. Rarely can you have both. God, I'd love to talk about that at greater length. That's why I say the truth is the greatest macro value not necessarily the greatest micro value. Interesting point there, and let's see here, Jim in Texas, you learned to go to the lord with the criticism first. I'm reading off his own words and would realize that I was often wrong with my criticisms, and my wife would do the same. I believe you, and I think it's a great idea. Now, I wish I could have taken Steve, if you could call on Friday, Steve, what do I do if I have a criticism? That is important? But I am afraid to hurt my wife. That's a very important subject. So let me just leave you and yes, and in Denver, Michael, you criticize the action, not the person agreed. Again the rules, the less the better, but that doesn't mean none. And keep a little accounting of compliments, number of compliments versus number of criticisms. It's been the Male Female Hour or the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This has been timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.