Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale Hillsdale dot ed or I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listener to the Hilldale dialogues, all of them at q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hilldale Warning Laura and Eating Grace America. Welcome to the Big Weekend Pod. We've got regulars, Our regulars. John Ella is from news item, Eli Lake, calumnist, contributing editor at The Free Press and commentary. He's the host of the Breaking History podcast Ben Dominis as Long as he Is, and special guest Aaron McClain. Aaron is here to talk us through the School of War podcast and everything he's learned in the last three weeks about where we are right now visa be the war with Iran? Are we gonna escalate, I'm gonna hold pat I'm gonna let the blockade simply squeeze the Iranian regime out of all life. What's Aaron McClain think is happening, What's he think ought to happen? That's all coming up on today's Big Weekend Podcast. So stay tuned Lauri and Evening Grays. Yeah, give you a big weekend show I had. We always began our weekend coverage with John Ellis, founder and editor in chief of News Items, because we like to cover a few stories that may have skipped your attention span and your radar. John, good Friday to you. Let's start in Montana. Because when I read your notes from me, it might surprise you. But I don't read the MIT Technology Review on a regular basis. This sounds wild. Tell us about it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: As of this week, any biotech company with an experimental drug has a clear path to selling it to consumers. This is a so called right to try rule. And so if you live in mont or you live anywhere, you can go to Montana and perhaps you read about some special treatment that's being developed by Eli Lilly or Murk or something, and although it's only at stage one of clinical trials, you can get that by essentially invoking the right to try. You sign a write off you you know, a disclaimer for going any for going any chance of litigation, and you try whatever drug it might be. It might be a wellness drug, it might be for a rare drug that's only had ten people tested. It's a big thing, and I think it will become a bigger thing. I think you'll see this more and more and more states, So keep an eye out on Right to Try.
Speaker 1: Now John Ellis, Mexico has made a big business out of this for years. I've known people who have gone to Mexico to try everything from the idiotic Laya trill to third generation drugs supervised by physicians of great credentials. Doesn't the FDA have a role in this? I mean? Or is it like dope? Dope is illegal on the federal controlled substance but every state that wants to legalize it. Is that where we're headed? I think that's the latter. Yes, I do, and I think that's where we're headed. I think because so much work is being done that points to breakthrough therapies and break through pharmaceutical breakthroughs. You know, the demand for it is simply going to overwhelm opposition to it, and states like Montana, which are notoriously libertarian, can make a good deal of tax money out of it.
Speaker 3: So we'll see. But I think it's like gambling. You know, gambling started small and it's now it's everywhere.
Speaker 1: The libertarian streak in America is deep. Let's move to point number two about Democratic voters and whether they're likely to vote for the person who can be Trump or the mainstream Republican or whether they're going to go left. What's your data show you?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: In twenty nineteen, Gallup took a poll and they said, for whom we vote in the Democratic primaries in twenty twenty somebody whose views aligned with yours or somebody who can beat Trump. And the result was two to one beat Trump, and thus Joe Biden was the nominee, even though you know he had been defeated in primary and caucus in the early going. This time, the Washington Post and AP excuse me, the Washington Post and IPSOS have taken a poll and they've asked, are you open to voting for a Democratic socialist candidate for president in twenty twenty eight And the answer to that question from Democratic primary voters was seventy five percent Yes. That is a I understand that two questions are not exactly parallel, but that's an enormous change.
Speaker 1: And in the last two weeks, mister l Say, doctor Lsayed in Michigan has surge passed Hailey Stevens in the most recent polls by double digit It's astonishing to me that lsay Ed can win in Michigan even in a Democratic primary. Are you surprised by that?
Speaker 2: I've been very surprised.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wasn't surprised by Mundanami, because you know, it's New York City and right, you know, fourteen percent of the electorate votes, and so yes, it was going to go left. But the fact that you know, the Sayatt is doing well in Michigan and Hong is doing well in Wisconsin, and these these congressional primaries that have produced Democratic socialist victories points to a real problem for the Democratic Party because fifty five percent of the electorate generally won't consider a socialist candidate for presidents.
Speaker 2: So that's bad math for the Democrat.
Speaker 1: And it's also Peggy Plan again in Minnesota is a hard left.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like to say socialists in their mouth, Marxists in their mind, and communists heart. Troy Jackson in Maine, who replaced the kicked out Graham Plattner, he just as wildly left I think Tall Rico in Texas is, but he's polling better than I thought as well. Tell us about Texas.
Speaker 3: Well, Texas, you know, as a good barometer of whether there's going to be a blue wave, or whether there's going to be a mini blue wave, or whether there's going to be you know, no blue wave.
Speaker 2: And the blue.
Speaker 3: Wave would point to a Tall Rico victory in the Senate race and a very close scubinatorial race with Governor Abbot probably pulling it out. So the most recent polling shows Tell Rico head by five percentage points. The new Fox News poll shows him up by three percentage points. Given the difficulty of polling, you know, statistically, it's probably a tie or with the slightest edge at this point to Tall Rico. But the thing that really interested me was the gubinatorial race, where Abbot and the Democratic challenger are tied statistically. And you know, if you looked at Texas and you just looked at the map and said, what is the good what did the gubernatorial races look like? You would say, well, Texas, you know that'll be our that's safe. Apparently not, according to the Fox News poll.
Speaker 1: So the big new thing for me, John Allis, and I've seen a little bit of this in news items every day, is volatility. Some of these races just change in two weeks time. Have you do you recall anything as volatile as twenty twenty six? Uh?
Speaker 3: Well, I think twenty twenty two was surprising in that two and a half weeks out the Republicans were headed to a red wave, if you will, and it didn't materialize.
Speaker 2: That was surprising.
Speaker 3: I don't think you know in Iowa, Ohio the race that I look at, or Iowa, Ohio, Michigan, and Alaska.
Speaker 2: I'm really interested in Alaska.
Speaker 3: But if you just look at Iowa and Ohio, the Democrats are a little bit ahead in both uh, in both races, and they have been since the beginning of the year. So that points to somewhere between a wave and a big wave. But that's before the Republicans have really, you know, campaigned as hard as they can campaign and spend as much money as they can spend.
Speaker 1: And they have an arsenal of money that I wish we had matched in our Interceptors munitions file. All right, let's finish with Annie Jacobson's book, which you tell me is about bio warfare, and I haven't read this. Is it going to keep me up at night?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You don't want to read it, it'll you know, you'll jump out the window. So I heard your readers, I heard your listeners not to read it. But there was a book published years ago by Richard Preston called Demon in the Freezer, which was sort of the best book of at the time, about by a warfare, and it was a terrifying read. And Jacobson, who wrote a very good book about nuclear war which was published I think two or three years ago and was equally terrifying, has now published this book Biological War, which is the most terrifying thing you'll ever read. So I urge your listeners not to buy the book.
Speaker 1: Well, does she imagine a widely distributed capability to produce these agents? My brother is a PhD toxicologist. He've been telling me for years, don't worry about nukes, worry about the fact that people can do cookup bugs in their basement. Is that where she's going.
Speaker 2: Well, the big thing.
Speaker 3: Is, obviously, the change that's taken place is the advance of artificial intelligence. To you know, we're fairly close now to artificial superintelligence. So if you have that tool, and you have some basic knowledge of how germs were, you can genetically modify those terms into a weapon. And given that open models are all around the world, and given that artificial superintelligence models will be inevitably in the possession of places like North Korea, it's a terrifying prospect and one that I think you have to make massive preparations.
Speaker 1: For well warned any Jacobson biological war. John Ellis, editor and cheape of News Items. Thank you, John. People should be reading news items every day. You can subscribe it, substack, just Google news Items, John Ellis, you'll go there. Let me remind everyone it's the last dam I'm asking you to support Food for the Poor, the last day that we're having our handout and asking with our sponsor Food for the Poor, that you remember the children of Central America, the Caribbean, Northern South America that depend upon Food for the Poor to eat every day. You can call in a contribution at eight five five three five nine, forty six seventy three. It's tax deductible. It's the slow season, but it doesn't mean they're less hungry. They need people like you. With eighty dollars, For example, we'll feed two children for an entire year. You can call eight five five three five nine forty six, seventy three, eighty five, five three five nine forty six seventy three. Or go to my website q Hewett. At the very top there is a banner give food, and I really everyone at Salem joins everyone at Food for the Poor in thanking you for thinking of others in this summer season. I'll be right back.
Speaker 2: That go. Well, I think we just want to win. You know, we just want to win.
Speaker 1: We're doing very well.
Speaker 4: We're trying to be nice as nice as you can be in you know, a situation like that. But you know they're they're being decimated. They have no navy, they have no air force, they have no anti aircraft. Does it mean they don't have any capability? They have some Madrid little We just.
Speaker 2: Want to win.
Speaker 5: We don't want to have them as very simple, they cannot have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 1: Welcome back America, President Trump. Day Camp David, I'm joined by Eli Lake from the Free Press. He's also those of breaking history. We just want to win, Eli, What does that mean to you?
Speaker 6: Well, on the one hand, you can kind of claim victory because I don't think that Iran is anywhere. I mean, I would put it like this, thirteen fourteen months ago, Iran was almost to break out nuclear power, and now it's nuclear program, which is you know, they have investigating in for decades, had incredible costs diplomatically and also obviously financially, and everything else is pretty much in ruins. I mean, there is Pickaxe Mountain, but I tend to think that it's it's nothing compared to what they had. It's unclear whether they could really start up again. So he's saved the world in terms of Iran is no longer going to be a breakout nuclear power. What it is now is a desperate regime that has figured out that right now the mass between missile defense and missile offense favors them. So they have a dwindling supply of ballistic missiles and they can do quite a bit of damage. And they're kind of doing quite a bit of damage not just to our bases, but to the oil refineries of the Gulf and our allies desalmination plans and you know the rest. And it has also has a kind of de facto control of the Strait of Hormuse. I think these are temporary situations, and you know, and and there are things that we can do to try to mitigate the straight of hermus like going back to the freedom of navigation and military escorts trying to find that route, reassuring allies, although it doesn't take much because this latest round of tit for tat you saw that not just Saudi's getting hit, but the saudis striking back. And then we have to kind of play a smart game here. And I think one thing that error that I would identify. I mean, there's obviously the error of not having enough missile defense systems and not maybe preparing for the straight up our moves. But the big one is we don't need a nuclear agreement right now with Iran. We don't want the people who would sign the nuclear agreement to be in power, and I don't think we need them. I mean, why are we arguing, why do we want them to sign something saying we'll never enricher raning for fifteen years? A we don't believe them, and B they don't have the capability right now and if they tried to rebuild it, Israel and the United States has already proven that we can take it away fairly quickly. I think what we need to do is to figure out the long, hard work of trying to open the strait of horn moves. I think the President's done an admirable job in calming the oil market, so it hasn't been the kind of disaster that a lot of experts predicted it might be. So that's how I would I would approach it. At this point. It's not a clean victory. Clean victory would be regime change. But you know, let's not it's not nothing that they don't have much of a nuclear program anymore.
Speaker 1: It's a lot. But what I think the President means when he says we'd like to win, he'd like capitulation of the IERGC to the reality of the power dynamic, and that can come one of two ways. Admiral Cooper, according to Wall Street Journal, has a two week plan to destroy every asset the IERGC has, including their construction companies, their shipping company, just impoverish them for generations. And then there's the keep the blockade on and try and keep the ships moving. But I just don't understand why we're talking to them. So Option A is fine. Option BE as fine. Military vegetables can advise on that. Why would we talk to them at this point?
Speaker 6: Well, I think my theory of it is is that we talk to them in order to calm.
Speaker 1: The oil markets.
Speaker 6: So you know, if if if you know, every time there has been an announcement that talks are beginning or something like that, you know, you notice that the price of oil goes down, and that's really the main thing that Trump is looking at, particularly before the midterms.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: But I also think that, you know, I would agree with your next guest, Darren McLain that it's a really bad thing to have the president that you know, we are giving up on the freedom of navigation for now, But I think it's a temporary situation, which is the straight up. Her news will be a depreciating asset for the Iranians themselves as the rest of the world figures out alternative roots. Which it that's not you know, it's not great. But in the end, you know, Hugh, in the end, we got to get back to what Trump was saying in the beginning of January and the end of December. I mean, this is a regime that has to go. Ultimately, it's going to be for the Iranian people. There are a lot of things we can do to help the Iranian people, and it's not going to be right away, and we can't predict exactly when, but that's the ultimate goal. I don't want to deal and you know, you know, I don't trust the the Mola's one bid. And the reason, by the way, we probably haven't done the Brad Cooper plan is that they still have enough ballistic missiles to cause quite a bit of damage. And until we can you know, find the interceptors that we would need to defend against that, then that's a major risk and it's not worth probably taking the interceptors out of the Pacific taking. You know, we need those just for deterrence in many ways against China when it comes to the Straight of Taiwan. So we're stuck right now, and I it's not ideal. But again, if I was Trump, I would be emphasizing the damage done to the nuclear program unless he has an insormation about like Pickax Mountain or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me switch to a bigger subject. I think Anthony Fauci ties into the Iran war because we listened to experts on everything. We listened to experts on the military situation, on interceptors, on oil as opposed to facts of market prices. Has Fauci destroyed expertise. I mean, does it destroy the Woodrow Wilson project that there's a group of people over here who know how to run thing? Have we done away with that? Now?
Speaker 6: Well, I wouldn't put it all on Fauci, but he's a big part of it. And a lot of it I think was that he often believed that he could be the arbiter of you know, he couldn't trust the American people with sort of uncertainties like, hey, I don't know what the we don't know, experts don't know what the origin of coronavirus is, yet we can't really rule it out. Instead, it became it's a conspiracy theory to say that it results it from a lab leak. That's and and you know, as a result, now I think Senator Tom Cotton, you know, looks pressient of course, but at the time he was pilloried by and But it's not just Fauci, It's the New York Times, I'm sorry to say, it's the Washington Post, It's CNN, it's the it's the mediators, uh, the old elite media. They have had they they when it wasn't just COVID, it was Russia, Gate. It was a series of things. It was the laptop that belonged to Hunter Biden and the fact that no, you know, and that particular scandal, even though there are corruption scandals on the other side right now. But the point is is that there are a series of things that the people, the expert class, if you will, was entrusted to get it straight and to at least when they got it wrong, take responsibility and punish the malefactors that didn't happen. The New York Times hasn't returned their Pulitzer prize that they got for Russigate reporting. So that's when you don't When you have institutions that can't self correct that way, that's when you really run into trouble. And right now our politics is broken because there's no reason why the Democrats shouldn't look at the facts that we have right now and say, Fauci told us things that were not true. He said he was stirring about things when it was uncertainty, and we can't stand for that. Instead, they're, you know, they're they're lining up behind him and you know, trying to say that, you know, man, Paul's the new Joe McCarthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, credibility will not be returning to the left or legacy media until Candor precides it. Elili. Follow him on Exit Eli Lake and listen to the Breaking History podcast.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Elike.
Speaker 1: Welcome back in America. I'm here to a special guest for this weekend because it could be a very very kinetic weekend over this guys of Iran and possibly Yemen. Aaron B. McLain is the host of the School of War podcasts, which should be on your like and subscribe, download it listen every episode to School of War. He's also a national security correspondent for the CBS Evening News and a marine. Aaron, welcome. I've been eating up the School of War and I wanted to ask you to join us for the benefit of civilians like me. And I want to put up a couple of maps for you to kind of explain people. I keep looking at the Middle East and where the straight over mows is, where the band al Mandeb Strait is in the red seat. This is all very close. How hard can it be to dominate this space for a superpart? Why is it taking so long?
Speaker 8: Hey Hugh, thank you so much for having me. I love your show.
Speaker 9: I love the music on your show, by the way, and I love your guests. I was listening with great interest to Elia, like my free press colleague just before ask to your question, how hard is it to dominate? Well, look, the standard that has to be met right is for commercial shipping to feel safe enough to go through these choke points that are threatened by organizations like the IRGC for the Strait of Hormuz or the HOHO Thi's for the Red Sea in order for us to get the amount of oil and other energy resources through that we need to support the global economy. And so unfortunately, the standard for Iran and the houthis is not that they stop all traffic going to the strait. The standards they get just enough shots through here and there that they generate unease amongst commercial shippers and make it less likely for them to try.
Speaker 8: That's really their game.
Speaker 9: And so getting it to the point where you're reducing the number of incoming shots to a low and completely interceptible number is actually a pretty tall order that involves a lot of resources and a lot of investment. We are making those investments in the Strait of Hormuz right now, and I think very quietly for the last really couple months. You've seen Central Command escorting with aviation assets ships through that straight in the Red Sea, which is a more recent element. We don't have that effort up and running right now. These things are resource intensive, and you see the Saudis trying to organize an international coalition to do it there. But you know, to get out of that region, your energy resources basically need to move out of the Persian Gulf, likely through the Strait or out of the Red Sea, either southwards through the Babbel Mandeb or the Hooties are blocking, or northwards through Egypt where we just saw that strike a couple days ago. Those are your three exit points, really, and the bad guys are causing problems at all.
Speaker 1: Three well, let's talk about the three bad guys in reverse order. The Houties. There was a long running war there where both UAE and Saudi Arabia were involved, and we may have had something going on there as well. The UAE was forced out by world opinion basically, and the Saudis asked them to leave. And I think the UA are sitting it out this time. How hard is it to rouse the UTI? They are a rag tag band of terrorists. Maybe they're in the tens of thousands, But is the Saudi military simply that not competent enough to get them.
Speaker 9: Well, they may be a ragtag bunch of people, but they are fanatics and they do have resources, a lot of those resources from Iran. The terrain in Yemen is pretty unforgiving. There is depending on where you are in Yemen. You know, there are varying degrees of popular support for them. And yeah, not to be too blunt about some of our allies, but let's just say allied military capacity varies. And while the Saudis are certainly capable of some things, you saw them participate in these air strikes successfully in Iraq here in the last few days. You know, the kind of sustained ground action that would be required to really seize back those occupied parts of Yemen from the Hoho thies, well you know you saw attempts at that in recent years, and they weren't successful. I think the question, though, really is will the Saudis be capable with American cooperation and support, because I think Sentcom's going to be very involved in this. Well, they be capable of organizing a maritime coalition to keep traffic moving through the Strait and to deter attacks on their own energy infrastructure. Like that's really the task at hand. This Saudi Huthi war has been running, you know, with varying periods of intensity or sort of more you know, low burn cold war scenarios for years now, and it runs in parallel with the US Iran conflict. Iran and the Uthis are partners. We are obviously aligned with the Saudi's, but they really are two independent wars. It just so happens that both the Huthis and the Uranians want to damage energy infrastructure in the region, and both those efforts caused problems for US.
Speaker 1: Two years ago, the Jutis were shooting fairly heavily at our carrier group in the Indian Ocean, and Biden didn't do much. But then Trump just hammered them, and they haven't bothered us since. Do we need to do that again?
Speaker 9: It's it's certainly possible, I mean, I you know, it's it's an option, as is an option to escalate against Iran as they continue to make trouble in the Strait and you know, in terms of their targeting of our forces and our partners in the region, It does come down to a question sometimes of resources, though, I mean how much you're willing are we willing to spend? How much are we willing to ask our partners to spend to get these jobs done.
Speaker 1: I'll be right back with Aaron mclan on the other side to talk about Iran. In the part in between, which will be on the big Weekend Todd, We're going to talk about NATO and something that Rear Admiral Montgomery told him on the School of War most recent episode, which you really ought to listen to. Stay tuned. I'm back now with Aaron McClain, military strategist, host of The School of War, free press column the CBS Evening News National security correspondent. Aaron I was arrested by We're Admiral Montgomery's comment to you and he's retired for the benefit of the audience. When you asked him about who can help in the baw Belt mandeb straight, he said, well, if there's any game left in Europe, and that's a big if, he said, the Royal Navy's got two destroyers, France maybe as too. The Spaniards probably have too, but they've got problems of their own right now. And they're not coming. That kind of made it very clear to me. Is NATO a spent force except for the frontline country?
Speaker 8: Well, you said it.
Speaker 9: Those countries that are closest to Russia the polls are really the biggest success story here.
Speaker 8: But the Nordic States have been doing a lot of impressive work.
Speaker 9: The Baltic States they're smaller, but in terms of you know, what they can do compared to their populations and economies, also impressive efforts. The further west you go, the further south you go, the less impressive it is, which you see, some of the countries militarily speaking, are not only a spent force. Unfortunately, they don't seem serious at all about it attempting to address the situation.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately.
Speaker 9: The United Kingdom is probably top of the list for a description like that. But look, they absolutely have an interest in the global energy markets, just like we do here in the United States. You could argue they have more of an interest because they have less indigenous production of these resources than we do here in the United States. You know who else has a real interest in the southern end of the Red Sea, the bab Bel Mandeb are the Asians. Because if you think about it, and you had that map up there a moment ago. You if the Strait of Hormuz has got blockages, you have trouble getting your stuff out of the Strait of Hermus. One of the ways that the Saudis and others have been trying to circumvent this is to send oil west across Saudi Arabia on a pipeline that that lets out on the Red Sea, sort of halfway up and down the coast of the Red Sea for them. There le oil can then go south to go to Asia, and it can go north to go up to Suez into points westward, including Europe. But if you're having trouble getting at south and the Strait of Horn Moves is closed, those two things compound each other. And so Asian oil markets or just energy markets because we're talking about gas here too, they're really the ones that are that face the biggest risk from this hoothy pressure point at the Bab al Mandem.
Speaker 1: And so if NATO doesn't help, what's the point of NATO.
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 9: Well, the point of NATO, you know, first and foremost is to deter Russia. Uh that's you know, if you if you think back to the founding day of NATO, the sort of tripartite justification for the alliance of the existence was to keep the Russians out, the Germans down, and the Americans in if we call, and I think today we can. You know, I like to give the Germans a hard time, But really you could take that part of it seriously as saying, you know, keep intra European political conflict to a minimum while we focus outboard.
Speaker 8: On our shared enemies.
Speaker 9: But look, President Trump's been very frustrated at the lack of NATO assistance in the straight of war moves. And I think Admiral Montgomery's point about the Red Sea was a very important one that is frustrated as the Europeans occasionally maybe with the Trump administration's diplomacy. The Trump administration's diplomacy did not cause the Huthis to decide to go back to war with the Saudis essentially and attempt to close off the Red Sea to Saudi energy traffic. It is a major pressing international concern to restore traffic through that checkpoint as it is in the straight of war moves. And yes, their help would be very welcome, and yes, the effort is very.
Speaker 1: Re it's a real credibility test for Old Europe and we will see if they pass it. I'm coming back with Aaron McLean. Stay tuned, Brogan Bag in America. Aaron McClain is still with me, and he is, of course the host of School of Warp. He's a free press columnist. He's also a national security correspondent for CBS News. Aaron. Two nights ago, the Wall Street Journal published a story that made me sit up. It said that Admiral Cooper, head of Central Command, has a plan. He's talked to the President about it, but he doesn't see the President very much. And it calls for two weeks of massive bombing like our B two's and our b ones at full deployment strength and aimed at the IRGC's military assets and there they're hidden, economy and other and he believes that they can that campaign can crush them. What as a military analyst, do you think about that journal story and do you think we ought to at least try that.
Speaker 9: Well, it's clear we've had plans for escalation for some time now. I mean it was clear back at the end of March, the beginning of April. You will call President Trump at one point said, you know that a whole civilization will end tonight if the Iranians don't make a deal.
Speaker 8: Obviously, we backed off of that.
Speaker 9: We entered that period of the ceasefire, which became the period of the MoU and sort of led us to the point.
Speaker 8: That we're at right now.
Speaker 9: But that option of turning up another gear has always been there. Admiral Cooper, the reporting indicates, is an advocate for this option. There are others in the administration who prefer where we are, which is to say, we're in a situation where there's a sort of low and fluctuating level of confrontation, armed confrontation, but economic warfare. You know, we have this blockade against Iranian ports right now, we're pursuing other.
Speaker 8: Economic measures against them.
Speaker 9: That is painful for the Iranians, but it will take time, I think potentially a lot of time to bring them to the table. So that's option two, and then option three is obviously some.
Speaker 8: Kind of deal.
Speaker 9: But if you want to deal in the short run, unfortunately I don't think you're getting get a good deal from the Iranians. So option three turns out to look a lot more like surrender.
Speaker 8: So let's act as the.
Speaker 9: Only options one and two are real option one escalation, Option two prolonged economic warfare escalation. You know, the theory of the case there one is that you can deal with the threat of the incoming missile fire and drone fire by really attritting the Iranians' ability to shoot that stuff, by going back after their missile cities, by burying that stuff, by attacking the infrastructure that allows the IRGC to function as a military organization. But then it's about going after their cash. You know, I think the President is frustrated with the Iranians that they don't want to make a deal in the way that he likes to make deals, because they're not primarily motivated by material goals. They are in fact revolutionary, you know, radical Islamists, radical Shia Islamist, they are exactly what they appear to be. But even radical ideologues need cash to run a country or to dominate a country, as indeed they do in Iran. And so if you go after the rgc's military capacity, and then you go after how they make their money, the idea would be is that you're going to reduce them either to the point where they're willing to make a deal or to the point where they're.
Speaker 8: Vulnerable to their own people. That's the theory.
Speaker 1: Now, you're a good student of military history, and I want you to let your inner marine out right now. Americans prefer sharp, sharp and decisive battles. They like taking over Afghanistan in a month. They love the march to bag that they don't like what follows after it. The blockade makes a lot of sense, but only if we've tried everything else first. What would you prefer if you get five minutes with President Trump, what do you advise them to do?
Speaker 9: Aaron McLain Well, the issue with the escalation, Hugh, is we were at a very intense level of bombing back in March and April, and it didn't get the results that we wanted. And you know, if you're going to push this regime to the point of regime change, which is really what we're talking about here, whether you're actually achieving regime change or the damage is so severe that they just don't have a choice. They have to come to an accommodation or it becomes essentially suicidal for them. You know, how close do we get to that in March and April?
Speaker 8: And it didn't come off. Now, the best argument I think you could make.
Speaker 9: For the escalatory approach is that we really have never gone off directly after the Iranian economy. President Trump's Bridge and Power Plants Day, which he's talked about frequently.
Speaker 8: We've hit a few bridges here and there.
Speaker 9: We apparently hit several around band or Abas recently, But that's all sort of tied to this question of the control of the strait in the military campaign in and around the Persian Gulf. It has its appeal, it has its appeal taking one last big swing. But the risk of that is you take that big swing. They're still standing there. All they feel they have to do is survive, So one way or the other, you don't deliver the death blow, and then you're back where we are right now, choosing between prolonged economic warfare and walking away.
Speaker 8: The one thing I.
Speaker 9: Know is that we can't just walk away. We cannot having started this surrender the control of the strait of Armus to Iran's you're a student.
Speaker 1: Of military history. In my lifetime, I'm seventy, America has never quote won a war when they've allowed the enemy to have a reserve from which they may operate with impunity, whether it's Cambodi allow us in North Vietnam, whether it's the Pakistan On Governed Region, whether it was Iran during the Iraq War, in Syria during the Iraq War. Right now we're doing that again. It just drives me crazy. Am I wrong to note that pattern?
Speaker 9: You're You're not wrong, You're You're absolutely right to note that. The question the prospect of prolonged economic warfare is painful. It's painful economically, it's painful politically. It does seem to be the course that we're on, and the promise of a faster victory through escalation has its attraction.
Speaker 8: Again.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think to really decide which course of action was better, we would have.
Speaker 8: To see the planning.
Speaker 9: We would have to see how real the prospect of cutting off the cash for the IRGC and a RANS leaders is. If I, as the President of the United States, had confidence that two weeks of going after the Ranian economy would mean that they can't pay the salaries of IRGC fighters, I would go for it. I would go for it under those conditions.
Speaker 1: I will leave it there. Aaron McClain, thank you so much. Follow Aaron on exit. Aaron B. McLain, listen to the School of War reading in the Free Press, which you shouldbscribe to, and of course see him on CBS News. Aeron, have a great, great weekend. Thank you, my friends. You've probably seen the headlines are worse. Your latest bill, meg Wireless is raising rates again. That means you could be paying more for the same service or getting pushed into a price your plan you simply do not need. That's not right. You can switch to Consumer sidor right now and save an additional fifty dollars. When you go to Consumer sailor dot com slash you and use the promo code Hugh fifty and if you happen to be over the age of fifty, listen to this. You can get a single line with unlimited talk, text and data for just thirty five dollars a month. Remember their numbers eight hundred and four to one, one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four one, one forty four to fifty four. Consumer Cellular ranks number one for network coverage and for customer satisfaction according to ACSI, and when you switch, you'll talk to an actual human being base right here in the United States. No long term contracts, no inden fees. You can keep your phone or choose a new one. Get an additional fifty dollars off when you switch today using promo code Hugh fifty, and do not forget. If you are over fifty, you get a single line, unlimited talk, text and data for thirty five dollars a month. Visit Consumer Cellular dot Com slash Hugh and use promo code Q fifty or call one eight hundred four one forty four to fifty four and use promo code Hugh fifty.
Speaker 10: What happens when citizens begin to fear the very agencies created to protect them. This weekend, The America two fifty film series presents Pulley State. Denesh Desuza examines intelligence, law enforcement, and the warning signs of government power. Turned Inward Watch Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 1: Morning Laurening in Grace America. I'm Hugh Hewitt, Time for the weekend review with Ben Domina. She is the opinion editor at The Daily Wire, is It Fox News contributor. He's the host of The Indispensable Big Ben podcast, and he's getting into a scuffle over at X with people who say he doesn't know what he's talking about in Texas, when in fact, he does know what he's talking about in Texas. Ben, welcome, before.
Speaker 7: We get the thank you, before we get started, I just want to tell you I hope that money that I sent to you in Nigeria helped you out of that jam that you were in. Uh yeah, it's always tough to need money when you're overseas.
Speaker 1: But I gotta tell people who were who were.
Speaker 7: Not m By the way, I got spoofed and.
Speaker 1: I got ACKed, and I got a d m W on friends like Ben, and almost everyone knew it was fake. I won't tell you who fell for it, but.
Speaker 7: Oh no, oh someone did. Oh gosh, yeah, some people fell for it.
Speaker 1: And however, however, it was a joke. X x is fixed it in twenty four hours, which is pretty impressive.
Speaker 7: I thought it would be typically very impressive. And I and I saw one of one of my favorite people on X Data Republican came to your aid very quickly, she.
Speaker 1: Did, and she tracked the guy to Nigeria. I'm a scuttle guy.
Speaker 7: As friends and I mean, actually useful nerds is supposed to people like me. You have, you know, a knowledge of quotes from movies long ago. No, it's to have and glad that they got it sorted for you.
Speaker 1: Data Republican is really you know, let me begin, I'm going to reverse my order. Let's compare data Republican with Tony Fauci. Data Republican earned her esteem day by day over the course of three years by people who followed their work. Tony Fauci didn't earn anything, and he let us down a dark road. Does that not tell us something about the new era?
Speaker 7: You know it does? And in fact, tomorrow at the Daily Wire we I have an interview with another person who sort of I did this similarly, Mathmathia Shapiro Matt Sapiro, who's a guy probably not known maybe to you, but he's polymath on X and he was one of the early participants in the COVID data project, the people who were tracking kind of the different things that were happening all across the country. And he's always had a fascinating experience to me because he's one of these guys who he comes from the tech world, the data world, focused on the facts focused on, you know, the analysis there works alongside a lot of people who were left a center, and what he very quickly came to realize was that there was just a complete gap between what they were seeing in the measurable data and what was being reported by hair on Fire journalists and what was unfortunately being caused or parroted or encouraged by Tony Fauci on a national level, which was incredibly infuriating to him because he was looking at data that was basically saying, look, there's there's an outbreak in this part of Georgia. It's going to move, you know, it's going to have this geographic, you know, sort of track that we are now familiar with with the way that this goes. But they're what they're going to do is they're going to overhype the the outbreak that's going to happen in schools that are in conservative districts, where masking is lax and where all these different things aren't being undertaken, and then they're going to completely nuke any kind of conversation about it when it moves downtown to the inner city and pretend like, you know, this is not something that behaves the way that it actually does, and that was an infuriating experience for him. And I think that you know, many Americas, even those who were not you know, totally in the data, paying attention to this on a day by day you know basis at the time, they know that on an extinctive level. And what we've seen from Tony Fauci. I mean, look, I don't know what you think of the hearing. I haven't had a chance this week to listen to your take on it, but to me, it was both. It was both good to see because I think that you know, particularly Josh Holly, but Ran Paul and others as well, I think, you know, really took it to him in terms of the criticisms that ought to be leveled against Fauci. But it was also so deeply unsatisfying on a level because I think that the response from the Democrats, if you actually care about public health, and I'd say this as someone who is an HHS staffer, you should want to take lessons from the experience, even if you are going to go into your partisan whole and say I'm going to defend Tony Fauci because now the right hates him, or something like that. Just at least say we should learn from this, We should learn from what went wrong, from the decisions that were made wrongly, from the lies that were told to the American people, so that we don't make them same mistake the next time that we have to deal with something on this scale. Let's, you know, hope that that never happens in our lifetimes. But it's the kind of thing where if we do, shouldn't we learn from that experience? And the fact that everybody on the Democratic side just wanted to say, no, there's nothing to see here. He's a wonderful public servant. You are you know, maligning him, You are raising all these things in this you know, terrible witch hunt, you know, and how dare you to me? It's like, no, if Democrats, if you care about the power of government, if you are at the party that basically says invest all this power in these beer them they are the experts, which is what they basically are. Right now, why don't you just say, shouldn't every question that we should have answered? Shouldn't we be able to ask those questions as oversight officials? It just it disgusts me that that's something that they can't even do anymore.
Speaker 1: It struck me Ben that it was a sentencing hearing for a convicted criminal who showed no remorse and the victims got to have their day in court and let loose on him. But because the Democrats kept up their bodyguard, we're going to be talking about Fautci forever. And you're going to be in this business a lot longer than I am. Right, I'm at the end of my career. OK, You're going to be doing this for thirty years, thirty years and thirty years you're going to be saying, I remember what Tony Fauci did, and I think that's happening again. He's now a word that stands for a quote expert who's way off and living on their fumes of past glory. He's now an example, you know.
Speaker 7: I think that's the other thing that's an aspect of this that we really you need to appreciate, you, is that there is this mindset within the public health space that that has always been around and that has been very unfortunate, that basically says, we can't trust the populace with the truth or transparency. We have to make these decisions behind closed doors as if we are you know, a group of Catholic cardinals meeting to decide the next pope. Yep, we're all gonna come out and we're just gonna say who it is, and you're going to accept it. And it's like, no, that's not the way this works. That's not the way it should work. It's I mean, and look, I think public health is very important. I have always been someone who was pro vaccination. I think vaccination is something it's deeply important. It's part of it's part of, frankly, every country's national security. You know, the people who are climbing over you know, those the walls and everything, as we see in Spain, that is a major health risk. That's a problem, you know, like, and this is part of the you know, defending your borders is part is part of that. But I also think all this stuff has to be transparent and has to have been in public. People have to know and have confidence in it. And if you lie to them, they will take the lesson from it that, oh, everything you say is a lie, and the truth is that it's probably not. And that's dangerous to sort of take the opposite perspective on this. And I actually think that what Fauci did was devastate any kind of trust in public health officials for an entire generation of America.
Speaker 1: You know who built it out, w built it up for a year. He would walk around carrying the Great Influenza by John Barry, and he got people like me to read it. And that's why I started with a very high trust level in Fauci, and I ended up on air talking to him, calling on him to resign. Boy was he mad in his diary with me.
Speaker 7: But Oho, you is the fact that, by the way, I love that he was so mad with you. It's like he was mad at like the least amount of, like the most basic criticism. It's just like, oh, you're in my.
Speaker 1: Gentlest nudge to leave the stage. And he acted like an assassination attempt. But here's this, This is a good transition to my political question. We've got a bunch of people who are trusting Mom Donnie and his people, and they're trusting flat again and Tall Rico and Troy Jackson and especially else iaid This stuff doesn't work, and we know it doesn't work, But why are we trusting them?
Speaker 7: You know? The reason that they're being trusted to you is because of a couple of factors. I don't have much time I have, but the but the look on the on the on the Republican side, Democrats are crazy, okay, uh, the the the left and the and the socialist agenda. It doesn't work. They're radicals culturally, they're out of step with the country. All of those things are true. On the other side, they the thing that they have in their hand is, you know, the war is unpopular. Prices are not going in the way that people want them to go. People don't feel good about out the enforcement of ice and the and the actual dealing with the immigration problem that we have with the country. People do not like the president, and the right track wrong track thing is completely upside down. So what do you have there? You have somebody who's playing three cards that matter on their poker hand versus someone who's playing with five cards that matter. That's a problem for the Republicans. And there's one more aspect of it that I think that is really being underrated as the old.
Speaker 1: Good for the break, because I got to go to a break right here, Ben, And we'll come back part two, and then we'll come back after the break and talk a little bit about the war, don't go anywhere, America. Stay tuned right here. I'm talking with Ben Dominich, host of the Big Ben podcast. But you should like and subscribe download in your subscription feed. He's also the opinion editor at The Daily Wire. I'm going to look for the interview of the Week on Saturday's Daily Wire. I'll be right back with Ben during the break and on the other side on the ko heal It Show. So I'm back with Ben dominic Ben. I want to know if we get to draw the two cards that we haven't got, because if we do, I nationalize these elections, and I drive home the fact that AOC is just the beginning these people. This is the worst I've ever seen the Democratic Party. And I remember George McGovern's you.
Speaker 7: Know the thing that I say when the things that I say when I go on television Q, And I'm sure you probably have a similar approach to me. I have facts to back them up. I have poll numbers. I look at this data before I make you know, outlandish claims actually make your job harder. It's a lot easier to do the opposite. But the thing that I would say if I didn't have to back that up seventy five percent, maybe three. I mean something like that of this Democratic Party is anti Israel and potentially anti jew And I don't say that lightly. I think it's something that has happened to their coalition in a very aggressive way, in part because of the shift of what union representation is and the lack of representation of Judeo Chris people within their coalition. I think there's a number of different factors that go into it, but that's the underlying element of all of this. I don't buy for a second that this is about affordability. This is about something far crazier. And then when it comes to the situation that we have, you know, in front of the Republicans in Congress, I think a big part of their problem is they have assumed for so long that Donald Trump would save them. And he's been an excellent savior. He's been someone who has you know, he has stormed around the country. He is he has raised up big crowds, He's done his best to try to get people elected.
Speaker 1: Raise money.
Speaker 7: President. He's raised money. They have tons of money. President doesn't really care about that anymore. He's focused on all these other things that he's building he's focused on foreign policy. I don't I mean, I don't judge him for that, but I think that Republicans are acting like he's going to like swoop in and save them from all the different polling factors that they have where they're currently And I would say this, as of today, they would be losing in Ohio, they would be losing in Iowa. We are not like forget you know, talking about Michigan, forget talking about Georgia. You know, they're losing North Carolina, you know. I mean, they're probably hanging on in Maine, and I actually think they will eventually.
Speaker 1: By the way, do you think Troy Jackson's relationship with a second cousin matters.
Speaker 7: I think it's I think it's a problem for him, and I think that, you know, you know, replacing someone who had a lot of problems with another person who has a lot of problems is never a wise idea. I think Susan Collins maybe cut some deal with you know, the Lord of Darkness at some point in the past to get this kind of fortune. I mean, it's just amazing the kind of fortune that she has. I think she's gonna pull it out. But the point is just Republicans are losing in places they should not be losing, and that is the problem that should be scaring them, and it has them scared. And Senators are scared. I talk to them at Lindsay's funeral this week. They are worried about this. They think that they are currently losing, and I think, unfortunately.
Speaker 1: That they are right. And when we come back from break, when I talk about one thing that could turn it all around, which is the Iran war, Ben dominict, She'll be right back, stay tuned.
Speaker 4: Well, I think we just want to win, you know, we just want to win.
Speaker 2: We're doing very well.
Speaker 4: We're trying to be nice, as nice as you can be in you know, a situation like that. But you know, they're they're being decimated. They have no navy, they have no air force, they have no anti aircraft. Doesn't mean they don't have any capability. They have some matrey little We just.
Speaker 2: Want to win.
Speaker 5: We don't want to have them as very simple, they cannot have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 1: Welcome back America. President Trump this afternoon at Camp David, the Wall Street Journal reporting that he is committed to maximizing force beginning this weekend. Ben Dominic this is the wild card. If President Trump wins forces the capitulation of Iran, and I mean forces it. I think Republicans do well because we like winners. If they just tap tap taps along with this pattern of the last four months, I think we're going to get hammered.
Speaker 7: What do you say, tap tap I mean, just that's what he's been doing, cap tap tat. I agree with you, which I'm sure is not a surprise, but it's one of these things where, look, you at this point, is there a reason why you just don't drop them a lab on IRGC targets all across Iran. I mean, there's what is the reason that we're holding back at this point? There is no reason to have any kind of conversation. And quite frankly, I think that people who tried to make a pause in this they did it too early, and they did it wrongheadedly, and they did it without an understanding of the nature of the Iranian regime, which those of us who paid attention to the way that they behaved for a long time understand. I look, you know, I was not bold about this whole you know approach from the from the get go, I thought it was you know risky as I think I said the first time that I came on in your program after this, I thought it was, you know, a real roll of the dice by the president. But I also have known that the President is one of these people who has no any any kind of you know, sort of hold He is not someone who holds back. When he goes into something, he goes in full bore. And he's understood this for decades. You can go back to the way that he's talking about this when it comes to North Korea and the bomb. You can go back to the way that he was talking about this well before he was ever in politics. He understands the risks involved when it comes to this kind of thing. It's one of his most consistent attributes. So why he even sort of entertained that pause. I realized why it happened. I realized there were people in his ear around him saying, and there were people from Capitol Hill saying, hey, if we just kind of, you know, find a deal here, maybe it'll save a bunch of Senate seats and that kind of thing. Who cares, you know, that's not important in the history of this. You're going to be judged by whether you actually decimated this regime to a point where we don't have to worry about this for a decade or maybe more, or you're going to be someone who basically went on his jaunt without actually achieving anything. I don't think that's what the president wanted to do. I don't think that's what he wanted wants to do now. I think he's pissed off and a lot of people who thought that there would be different situations right now, and I hope that his reaction to this is to say, just you know, you've got the targets, hoop, go for it.
Speaker 1: Last question, there is no DELSI. I think he really was hoping that there would be a Delci Rodriguez to emerge from the rubble, and then said he got Behiti, who was retired because he was bad and extreme. So at this point, I want everybody. I want Saudi Arabia and Israel and Kuwait and the UAE, everybody in on this. And he looks him in the eye and that you're coming along for the ride here, and they just pound the daylights out of the.
Speaker 7: They have to. I mean, this is this is the best opportunity they've had to do this, and if they don't do it, you are going to be dealing with the ramifications of this very quickly. Like they've already shown how quickly they can rebuild, how quickly they can use money flows to do exactly what they said we would say, we said they would do with money flows, which is which is to say, they will rebuild, they will attack, they will support their their proxies all around the region, and it will be hell for all of these different people. So you better get on the same page.
Speaker 1: So I hope by next Friday, Ben, we can agree that that's in fact what he decided to do. And it we are midway through the two week campaign that Admiral Cooper said he's got on the shelf.
Speaker 7: Ben Dominick, I have one last thing. I just want to say this. I know you've got to go break. It is not a war mongering thing in any way to say we need to deny the Iranian regime a nuclear weapons for a generation. That is peace. That is not war mongering. That is how we achieved and fewer deaths and less human sacrifice in that region. And that is one true and it's it's ds that people say otherwise.
Speaker 1: I agree and I think his ears are closed to those people. I think he's put wax in his ears to those people who say it's warm angering and by the way, completely it's good politics too right now to win the war, not to tap tap Tapalon ben domage can be followed on Exit Be Dominant. You can listen to Big Ben podcasts, and of course read him at The Daily Wire every weekend, the Big Weekend Interview at the Daily Wire. Finally, I want to say it's my last day asking you to please help out our sponsor, Food for the Poor. They take care of kids throughout Central America and the Caribbean. The power of a meal, a daily meal, especially breakfast, is everything for these children and they depend upon Food for the Poor in seventeen different Caribbean and Latin American country. Food itself is scarce, Drinking water is sometimes just terrible to look at. Food for the Poor has been doing this for decades. They are not for profit. They started at a Catholic organization, they became non denominational. They worked through the local church throughout those seventeen countries in the Caribbean. Eighty dollars will feed two children for a year. So before you go on your summer vacation. If you got August plan here on the last day of July, maybe send eighty dollars. There are a few ways to do it. You can call eight five five three five nine forty six seventy three eight five five three five nine forty six seventy three. You can text my name Hewett Hwitt to fifty one five fiy five that's Hewett to fifty one five five five. Or the best thing to do just go to my website Hhewett dot com. At the top there is a banner. It says give food. If you're watching on the Sale News channel, you can see the banner right for the Food for the Poor tax deductible gift. We've had gifts from ten dollars to one thousand dollars. Gallagher I got ten thousand dollars. More power to him. Thanks to all of you for doing everything you can for food for the poor. Thousands of you have stepped up. It makes actually the life or death decision for children in the Caribbean and Central America. Up from the bottom of our heart, that's Salem. Thank you.