Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast, sponsored by Hillsdale College. All Things Hillsdale at Hillsdale dot edu. I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I listen to the Hillsdale Dialogue all of them at Hugh for Hillsdale dot com or.
Speaker 2: Morning Laurie at Evening Grace.
Speaker 3: It is the Hugh Hewitt Show, even though it's exactly high new here on the West Coast. I'm Alex Marlow, host The Alex Marlow Show, editor in chief of brightbur News, hosting for my friend and mentor, Hugh Hewitt.
Speaker 2: Today and tomorrow. I'll start with the poll.
Speaker 3: Okay, and you guys can email me at Low hot Alexmarlow dot com. Is she out for two days because one he had too many adult beverages watching the World Cup as a huge soccer fan yesterday and he's sleeping it off. Two he had too much taco bell over the weekend, which, by the way, it was the lettuce of all things that.
Speaker 2: Got people sick from taco bell.
Speaker 3: Or three that he is speaking at the ALEX event in Florida, the American Legislative Exchange Council event. I know they sponsored the show, and he'll be broadcasting from there live Thursday and Friday. You guys, tell me what you think it is, and I'll give you the spoiler.
Speaker 2: It's the latter.
Speaker 3: But I'm here, always honored to be here, and we get some great stuff lined up. He does an amazing job. The producers here really guys are top notch. Tom Cotton's going to be here later and Michael Orn as well. A lot of the conversation will be about Israel and Iran, which, unfortunately for me, who is very optimistic about the Memorandum of Understanding, believing in President Trump and Vice President Vance that they could bring the Iranians to the table in some capacity, would beat them into enough submission and take out enough runs of their apparatus when it comes to their leadership that they would be able to force them into some sort of a deal. And they just proven I guess too challenging at this point. And so now we are back into bombing mode. We've now bombed for I think eight or nine consecutive days. Unfortunately, another American service member killed over the weekend trying to I guess dismantle a drone in Iraq, which is a very upsetting. I wish that did not happen. Up to seventeen guests. I believe of Americans in this conflict, and the conflict's going to probably go on.
Speaker 2: And we saw oil prices tick up a little bit earlier today, though not that much, to be honest with you, I think.
Speaker 3: We were fearing two hundred dollars barrel and oil, maybe three hundred dollars a barrel oil, and now we're.
Speaker 2: Back at ninety ish or so. But this is a political headwim.
Speaker 3: It's something that Republicans are going to have to deal with because this is a very important midterm election because if President Trump loses the election, it's gonna be NonStop investigations, it's going to be NonStop impeachment talk, and it's going to be empowering the socialist wing of the Democrat Party, which we'll focus on quite a bit on the show. But I think the message is clear, Iran is not playing nice and it is time to do some more bombing.
Speaker 2: Bombing them in a submission.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to ask these guys Orn and Cotton when they get here, Michael, Laura and if I dimension will be here as well, and when we discuss this, I'm going to ask them what they think is the future of Iran if we are able to facilitate some sort of a regime change. And I'm not necessarily talking about American boots on the ground and Americans going in there and dismantling physically what is left of the Iranian regime, which may be necessary, it may be right move. I'm open minded at this point, but I want to know what takes its place. I want to know what's coming next. And I want to know if they're convinced that the Iranian people are ready to step up, and if so, what's the process to getting them in a place where they can actually do that, Because I feel very, very skeptical though there'll be some sort of an organized ground swell of grassroots effort by the Iranian people to come in and establish some sort of a legitimate government. I think it's gonna be hard to do, but I would love to see it, and I would love to chart a path.
Speaker 2: But so long as Iran is playing games with the straight up ward moves, it needs to be open for commerce. It just needs to.
Speaker 3: That is one of the absolute standards that President Trump must have in order to see this as a victory. It cannot just be that they do not get nuclear weapons, which of course is fantastic.
Speaker 2: We need to have that as a goal. That is a shared goal.
Speaker 3: And if you do not have that goal, you and I just have completely different priorities with how you want to spend your time with your life and what you think the purpose of the American government and military is for. I think a denuclearizing Iran is essential the number one priority of any sort of administration that wants to keep its people safe. So all good on that front, But then what do we do to make sure that straight stays open? And that will be a question that I'll have for Senator Cotton. I'm also going to ask about.
Speaker 2: The filibuster, see if there's hope there.
Speaker 3: And this is another one where I'm curious from Hughes audience, in particular A lohat Alex Marlow dot com.
Speaker 2: You've got a response to this.
Speaker 3: I'm sure all of you watched the Trump speech or at least caught clips of Trump's speech where he laid out election interference claims, particularly that a lot of America's election data was compromised by the Chinese and they got access to all sorts of information, but he stopped far short of suggesting that the election was rigged by China or some other foreign entity. He just did something that I think was fairly clever, which is he established flat out that our data is vulnerable and that our elections are vulnerable, and there's a certain level of cheating that takes place. And once you accept there's a certain level of cheating that takes place, it's incumbent upon us as people who want to preserve our democracy, which is of course really a constitute federalists republic, but who want to preserve our democracy, it's imperative upon us that we do our best to make sure that every opportunity to cheat is eradicated. And you saw the hysterical response from so many people in the Democrats side of the aisle suggesting that this is too far revealed, this is impeachable twenty fifth Amendment. Trump has gone crazy. These are all lies. Even the great CBS News, which we were concerned might be becoming right wing, even they got a bunch of stuff wrong. If they covered it at all. Fox was reluctant to cover a lot of this stuff. And I think this revealed something that's very important here, which is that the President, I think is drawing people out to see who is actually serious about election integrity. And one thing that I'm curious about is that people who have a more religious attachment to the filibuster in the Senate then making sure that we get the Save America Act through and people have to bring id to the polls. And it is a really tough question for a lot of Republicans. Republicans who grew up thinking that the filibuster was is something that needed to be cherished, need to be coddled. We need to treat it like a wounded dove and just nurse it back to health. The filibuster is so vital and delicate that we need.
Speaker 2: To protect it at all costs.
Speaker 3: And then you're confronted with this thing that, well, if we do that, if we choose the filibuster, then we're choosing it over getting a photo ida and national citizenship verification in order to vote in our federal elections. And so for me, from my vantage point, I live in Los Angeles and in California, we get about ten percent of the ballots that are sent out and we proactively have vote by mail for everyone. Why is that why would California have a vote by meil pretty much as the default setting instead of having an election day. Obviously we know the answer, So there's cheating. So that's why we do it. And as many as ten percent people estimate of the ballots that are sent out proactively to Californians are two people who are ineligible to vote. We proactively send out ballots to people who are ineligible to vote. I'll tell you there's a great shout out to Hugh because I've been listening to you for over twenty years. He was the first guy who said the vote by mail reality is here and Republicans need to win at it, and you need to make sure you vote vote by mail, You vote early, You make sure your ballot get's in, so then you don't do about weather, you don't do about traffic, you don't have to worry about your kid getting a cut on his eyebrow. And as we go to the er and get some stitches, you get your vote in. Huge one of the first.
Speaker 2: Guys to do that. We have to figure out how.
Speaker 3: To win elections or else. All the great ideology that we bring about, none of it's going to make a difference. And so that is a big question. I'm going to ask that to some of the guys later on in the show. We'll also get into some politics. It looks like what's happening in Maine with the just delicious Grand Platinum race, which I don't know of all of you got to catch clips from the debate featuring the great Ashley I think your last name was Webb, who is a man who looks like Meatloaf the rock star, maybe even a linebacker, and impersonates a woman and actually said, and this is a earmuffs you've got children, car, But this is a person who actually is a male but claimed to menstrate out of his rectum.
Speaker 2: This is not a joke. This is exactly what was.
Speaker 3: Said by actually Web, one of the Democrat candidates who is running in Maine to replace Graham Platner. It looks like mister Webb, who acts like a woman, will not make it across the finish line. And someone named Troy Jackson has unofficially locked up the campaign. This is very commaa esque. It's very much the Democrat establishment has consolidated around one person. He's a longtime Democrat, He's someone who's been in the state Senate there and is familiar to Maners who are dialed in Democrat politics, but does not seem to have a ton in particular to offer. He is framing it as working people of Maine. A lot of people are framing this is from our revolution. Working people of Maine took the nomination their own hands, a grassroot movement of first time delegates packed all sixteen county meetings, So basically this is a community organizing effort to try to get a guy that was grassroots but is really being propped up and is trying to eliminate more of the perception the Democrats are in disarray. They are going through a civil war right now. I will have clips to support that. They have a lot of tests to try to reign in their party from insanity, which is what we're witnessing. And this guy, Troy Jackson apparently has some very suspect mortgage issues that are going to come up on the campaign trail. So maybe the fact of the matter is maybe Graham Plattner, with his Nazi tattoo and his level voicsters, maybe was their best candidate.
Speaker 2: Amazing stuff. Alex Marlowe, I'm in for Hugh Hewitt.
Speaker 3: Right, really please to be joined by doctor Michael Orrin right now, the former Israeli Ambassador to the US and the president of the Israel Advocacy Group. Ambassador, thank you so much for joining me on the Hit Show today. I want to start with the Iran War and I want to look at what a victory could actually look like for the United States. I was someone who is optimistic that perhaps the President and was able to come up with something with his Memorandum of Understanding. And I do think that those like my colleagues Q are their takes are raising pretty well that it was always sort of impossible to come up with an MoU with the country like Iran. Those takes are raging well. But we do want to win this thing and we wanted to end eventually. What does that look like from your vantage point?
Speaker 4: Are you winning it?
Speaker 5: You achieve the five goals Alex that the United States and Israel set out at the beginning of this war, which was ending Iran's nuclear program, shipping abroad the nuclear stockpile of highly enriched uranium, ending Iran's intercontinental ballistic program, ending Iranian support for terror around the Middle East and across the globe, and then as the war progressed, really additional demand was an end to Irani attempts to control or even block shipping of energy car goes through the strait of her moves.
Speaker 2: That's what winning looks like.
Speaker 5: Anything short of that maybe partial victory, for example, having Iran give up this nuclear program.
Speaker 2: I don't think Iran's going to do that.
Speaker 5: It's not going to go quietly into that dark night, but that would certainly be a constitute of victory for the United States. The victory for Israel would involve also cutting off Iran support for Hamas and h Bullah, which are threatening US on our borders, or the Hoodie rebels in Yemen who are once again closing off their strategic waterway through the Red Sea, and also firing missiles at US at various intimil So there's a big laundry list of goals that have to be achieved in order for the United States to surely, you know, it's convincingly to clear victory.
Speaker 3: One of the things that has happened that's been a disappointment, though in retrospect, should not have been unexpected, is it Ron was not going to go quietly. And I feel like there's two components of this. There's the one that we could see coming, which is that there ideologically deeply committed to the destruction of the US in Israel and they're not going to take a loss easily.
Speaker 2: That's one that we saw.
Speaker 3: But the thing that was kind of new was understanding how with very little effort they're able to muddy up the Strait to make it the commerce can't go through there. And they are people who pay close attention to American media, and they see the way any sort of disruption in the Strait is portrayed as a negative for President Trump. So what do we do to keep the straight moving? Because that's the main thing here that's fresh and new that I think people are just considering for the first time recently.
Speaker 5: I think I says is doing exactly what it's doing tonight, and one is to grade Iran's military ability to interfere with shipping through the Strait, certainly to keep up pressure military pressure on the Iran by striking strategically important talk targets in Iran itself and most importantly maintaining that naval blockade. That naval blockade caused is costing Iran ten and potentially hundreds of millions of dollars a day. Eventually, eventually the Iranian regime will run out of money, won't even be able to pay the salary of its besieged thugs or the IRGC soldiers, and it will come back to the negotiating table. They're making intimations tonight, Alex if they're willing to come back to the negotiating table, and I understand them, because they're backs up against the wall. They can declare victory all they want, but when people don't have food, when they don't have electricity, that's when the Iranican regime gets really, really sweaty around the collar.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that I think is tempting for people who think that a massive regime change is not going to take place is that it doesn't seem like there's necessarily an organized resistance to Iran amongst the people. We know that there are many wonderful Iranian people who would like to see the regime topple, but it is a big process to get them armed and being and have the willpower to overthrow a regime. What does a regime change potentially look like in Iran? Because I know that's all of our hope. I think some of us would be willing to put boots on the ground to do it, others would not. There's a lot of political implications because we are in a democratic system, you're in the United States. But do you feel like they're easy organized resistance in Iran that could potentially step up and take the place of the mullas.
Speaker 5: Well? That maybe organized resistances in Iran? Certain the Kurds are an organized resistance. We've seen We've known about terrorist attacks, about attacks, not terrors, attacks that have been affected against members of the RGC have been assassinated. Who's doing this nobody knows just yet.
Speaker 4: But it is difficult because.
Speaker 5: You have a regime that has proven its willingness and ability within a matter of hours to kill thirty thousand civilians. It's quite extraordiny when you think about it, within hours, and people are I think quite justifiably afraid. And if they feel that the United States is not four square behind them, that the United States is going to at some point basically cry uncle and come back to a negotiating table, then they think it's too risky. They're not going to risk their lives or the lives of their children to go out into the street. We cannot rule out the possibility, Alex, that the regime is going to die of its wounds. It has sustained very serious, potentially mortal wounds in this war, and it may take a month, that may take a year or two, but the nam may fall as a result of the damage that has sustained in this campaign.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do.
Speaker 3: I feel like I've read many smart people suggest it could be a two year process, and that's something that will take a.
Speaker 2: Lot of political willpower.
Speaker 3: I think President Trump has proven that he's willing to go against the grain in this regard, and even if he feels like he's it's an unpopular war, if he feels like it's justified, I think he would stay the course. But that's a long battle in terms of pr So what is your hope for the Trump administration? What do you believe is the best policy going forward?
Speaker 5: Well, I to read it, I think the best policy is the one they're pursuing right now, which is the combination of kinetic action with the naval blockade, and that's what will bring the negotiations back to the table. Then what happens when they come back to the table and do the running still feel that they have the upper hand and they go siations they can dictate the terms. In no way can the United States allow Iran to maintain its or fulfill its claims to sovereignty go the Straits fromost. No way can Iran retain its nuclear stockpile or its nuclear facilities.
Speaker 2: That's crucial, crucial. ISRAE would also like to.
Speaker 5: See at the end of the ballistic program and the support for terror, and the administration has taken a very important step already in brokering a peace agreement between Israel and Lebanon. The President of Lebanon has in Washingt today mister Own meeting with Secretary of State Rubio and others.
Speaker 2: That's very important.
Speaker 5: This is a man who's taken a big, big gamble. Two previous Iranian Lebanese presidents who try to make peace with us for assassinated that he's putting his life.
Speaker 2: On the line for this.
Speaker 5: But at the end of the day, Lebanon is not strong enough to overcome his bullaup.
Speaker 2: Only by defeating Iran.
Speaker 5: It's Lebanon his bud sponsor. Can that happen and Lebanon can be truly free, sovereign and make peace with US.
Speaker 3: Doctor Micha Lauren, former Israel is really ambassador to the United States.
Speaker 2: The Israel Adovac Group is his group. He's the president, thea ambassador.
Speaker 3: I wish we had more time. Hopefully we can do this again soon. I'm Alex Marlow in for Hue and we'll be.
Speaker 6: Right back for back of.
Speaker 3: The You Huge Show with Alex Marlow. Grateful to be in for Hugh today. Senator Tom Cotton is on the line with me from Arkansas. Senator, great to talk to you again, and I want to start with something where I think you and I probably have a lot in common on this one that it sounds like you're blocking the daylight savings bill in the that came through the house. I'm very negative on permanent daylight savings, but I want to get your sense of why you're blocking it and what your objection is.
Speaker 6: Hey, Alex, good to be back on the air with you, this time on a Hughes show in the afternoon. Always enjoyed being on your show as well.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 6: So I understand that all Americans hate changing the clock. I hate changing the clock, but I think you have to think through the second order implications Alex of what permanent daylight savings time would mean. It may sound great in the summer months, and it may sound great if you live in Florida and you like to play golf, But if you live in Mintonville, Arkansas, the sun wouldn't come up in the depths of winter until well after eight o'clock, maybe even eight thirty. And that's just in northwest Arkansas, Alex. There are places throughout the Midwest and the Rocky Mountain States that wouldn't see the sun untill nine nine thirty, almost tennant falk in some cases like Indianapolis, Grand Rapper Rapids here challis spell that would be very dangerous, especially for kids who are walking to school, bucking the school, being left a bus stops and Alex, you don't have to take my word for it either. You can simply learn the lesson of history. Congress did this once before. In nineteen seventy three, Congress made daylight saving time and permanent. It was very popular, seventy nine percent approval in December of nineteen seventy three, and then February in nineteen seventy four it had fall into forty two percent approval. Why because people had experienced daylight saving time in the depth of winter. In fact, Congress almost immediately repelled it more than three hundred and eighty votes in the House and unanimously in the Senate. So you know I have to take my word or forecast for it. I think we've just learned the lessons of history here. It's true that I've opposed in the past. My position hasn't changed. I can tell you many other Senators are opposed to as well. From the states you would expect, frankly, in both targets. This is one of those issues that is more of a regional issue than it is a part of a issue.
Speaker 3: I am totally the same page with you on that, and maybe I'll share some of my personal thoughts with the audience after your off the year with me, Senator. But what happens to the bill now? What do you think is the future of it? Because you and I share the same rationale, But what about it getting through.
Speaker 6: I don't expect it to pass the sentiment, Alex And again, I think this is one of those issues that seems attractive at first glance, and sometimes a House acts at first glance and with a sober second thought and considering all the implications as happened to the entire country in nineteen seventy four, or you realize that what appealed at first glance is not that appealing on second thought. So I don't expect it to pass the Senate, all right.
Speaker 2: I want to move to the Iran War.
Speaker 3: You've said that Trump is right to unleash hell on the killers, and I think we're all in agreement on that that iron is very bad. But the path forward seems kind of bleak. It seems like maybe the best path forward could take years perhaps to execute. Give me your perspective on the state of the war itself at the moment, and what are the various avenues that could be pursued.
Speaker 6: Well, Alex, I don't think we're looking at years. It has taken longer than was initially hoped in March. That's important because we had paused in April and we had a ceasefire that lasted for about pretty months.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: The intensive negotiations happened over the last couple of weeks of June, first week of July, after the Vice President and Jared Kushner and Steve What had negotiated the memorandum of understanding, but Ron obviously blew that up. They blew it up well, trying to blow up ships in the straight of her moves and attacking our troops throughout the region, indicating as the President said, that they have no interest and even a short term interim deal, much less a comprehensive deal would be nuclearized as well. So I think we should probably go back to where we were in early April when the first seas fire started and just allow our Central Command forces to finish their operational plans. At the time, they were forecasting three or four more weeks to lay waste to the rest of Iran's military and to knock the Revolutionary Guard for back even further. And at that point, I think we keep the blockade in place that deprives are on of almost a half billion dollars a day, and we say that the Strait is going to be open under our supervision. Really we weren't doing that a lot in May and June. It just wasn't widely known or announced until the President made it known last month. We're getting several million barrels of oil ounce to the southern Omani side of the Strait each night. We could keep doing that. Iran has the ability to harash shipping, but not to stop shipping. I think those are the steps forward, Alex and I think that would be good for our national security. It would be good for Americans so they're not paying a lot for gas or diesel at the top, and it would give a chance that thanks to the kind of simmer inside of Iran, because one thing we know is that this regime is wildly unpopular. Millions of people took the streets in January, and now with the death of the Supreme Leader at the start of this campaign, the regime doesn't even have a thin veneer of religious authority either. So I think we should finish our operational plans, keep the blockade in place, keep the straight open, and then kind of let things play out over the next two and a half years.
Speaker 3: Do you've hoped that the Iranian people will be able to step up and replace them all as at some point, because it's another one from my perspective where I'm trying to find some sort of a middle ground. It just seems it's so hard with the Iranians to find any sort of a middle ground. But I'm not optimistic that there is a robust movement to replace them all as once we achieve.
Speaker 6: Victory here, well, Alex, these things often seem impossible and can quickly become inevitable. Now, I'm not predicting or forecasting that, but i will tell you. I will tell you a story. And this is not from the animal's history. This is less than two years ago. When we left town for Thanksgiving in twenty twenty four, we had no idea that when we got back after Thanksgiving, Bachelor Alisaud would be sitting in a luxury condo in Moscow. And that's not even the fault our intelligence agencies for failing to see what would happen on the span of ten days. I'm just saying sometimes these things are very hard, and these organic movements can spring up and it's very hard to detect them. You saw that at the end of the Cold War as well. So again I'm not predicting or forecasting it. I'm just saying that it's happened enough throughout history to include recent history, and I don't thing we can rule it out. When a government is as unpopular as a rods is with its own people, and those people are struggling as badly as the running people are because of the grossness management, greed, and for option of Ron's rulers over the last forty seven years.
Speaker 3: Senator, the President gave a speech from the White House last week, and it was really a challenge to the Senate.
Speaker 2: It was basically choose between standing.
Speaker 3: By the filibuster the way it is now or passing the Save America Act, which I believe would take great strives towards protecting American election and integrity. Give me your perspective on the filibuster and why it seems like you as well as your colleagues are pre inclined to keep it in place versus getting the Save America Act through, and give me some nuance in some detail on your thinking on this.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So, Alex, on the filibuster, the reality of it is that we just we don't have the votes to eliminate it. We're not going to have the votes to eliminate it. I've got to work with the reality of the matter. And there's nothing we've been new to make senators vote, certainly, and I don't think most of the audience would want their senators to be made to vote in ways that didn't represent their states and we do have a lot of Senators who come from states that do rely on mail in balloting. Does it I don't think we should. I don't like it, but a lot of Republicans do represent states that have melon balloting, and the Republican parties have worked that process hard. In some cases, their campaigns have worked at hard as well. I do think we would have a majority and perhaps a fill up uster proof majority the pass a voter ID law, and I think that would also go a long way towards solving some of the problems with mail and balliding. So, for instance, in Arkansas, if you if you want to vote as an excused absentee ballot, you also have to include a photocopy of your photo identification. So I think that's one bang that we could pursue, and I hope we do. The alternative is doing what Speaker Johnson is doing this where he hopefully he can pass.
Speaker 2: The Senator I'm working. I got to leave it there.
Speaker 3: I've managed the clock poorly, but I apologize, and I thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Center Cotton.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back, my friends. You've probably seen the headlines are worse. Your latest bill, meg Wireless is raising rates again. That means you could be paying more for the same service or getting pushed into a price your plan you simply do not need.
Speaker 4: That's not right.
Speaker 1: You can switch to consumer side right now and saving additional fifty dollars when you go to consumer sellular dot com slash hue and use the promo code Hugh fifty.
Speaker 2: And if you happen to be over the age of fifty.
Speaker 1: Listen to this. You can get a single line with unlimited talk, text and data for just thirty five dollars a month. Remember their numbers eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four, eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four. Consumer Cellular ranks number one for network coverage and for customer satisfaction according to ACSI. And when you switch, you'll talk to an actual human being base right here in the United States. No long term contracts, no hiden fees. You can keep your phone or choose a new one. Get an additional fifty dollars off when you switch today using promo code HU fifty, and do not forget if you are over fifty. You get a single line, unlimited talk, text and data for thirty five dollars a month. Visit Consumer Cellular dot Com slash hue and use promo code Hugh fifty dare called one eight hundred and four four fifty four and use promo code q fifty. The images coming out of Venezuela are heartbreaking. Powerful earthquakes have left entire community in rubble. Families are already struggling, suddenly lost their homes, apartments, even access to clean water, the necessities needed to survive. Right now, children are sleeping and makeshift shelters. Parents are searching for food, clean water, basic safety for their family. That's why Food for the Poor is responding immediately, working through trusted local partners already serving these communities. They're providing emergency food, drinking water, hygiene supplies, other life saving assistance. Relief can't wait. Every hour matters. The people of Venezuela need our prayers and they also need our help. From your mobile phone, text hewittt Hgwitt to five to one five five five Again text Hewett Hiwitt to five one five five five. If you send a text, you will receive a reply with a secure link where you can make your emergency gift to help the people of Venezuela. Together, we give you the hands and of Christ, bring hope, relief, God love the families who've lost so much. I'm in Hewett, and I thank you.
Speaker 7: Every generation must decide whether it will recognize deceit before it becomes normal. This weekend, Salem News Channels America two fifty film series presents The Fall of Deceit, a sobering documentary on government overreach, faith under pressure, and the cost of abandoning truth. Watch Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 3: Our London editor at Brightbar News, aulver Lane, does some of the best reporting in all of Europe in my view, and I'm somewhat biased, but he does a terrific job. And Oliver, you're the perfect guy to talk to you about Andy Burnham.
Speaker 2: Who is this guy? Where did he come from? Why does he look like that?
Speaker 3: Maybe we'll focus on that later, and why is he taking drive bys on Margaret Thatcher. He's been the job for four minutes and not having been elected. Are that to come in the next couple of segments here, But let's start with who is this person?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Andy Burnham, a former government minister back in the Tony Blair Gordon Brown era. That's really reaching back. He had ten years out of Westminster politics, went to be the mayor of Manchester.
Speaker 4: Some call it Britain's second city. It's certainly in the running.
Speaker 8: For that, and that in a way as far as the Labor Party is concerned, makes him the perfect person to take over as he has done today, because of course, so many people in Labor are tainted with failure, attainted with association with the past two years, the Kiir Starmer years, they haven't been great for the party. So to get somebody with some governing experience from what they think of probably as happier early days the Blair Brown years not very happy for the rest of us. But I think Labor people look upon it well. So as I say, who has that governing experience from back then but has been out of the milieu for a while, I'm sure to them, to the leading people in Labor, he is the perfect guy and they've certainly treated it that way. As you say, no national election, no party platform, no pitches to the public. This was a bloodless coup. This was a coronation and now he's that Prime minister.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about the fact that he's unelected, which means his platform has not been tested. I want to get into the attribute of the platform. And Nigel Faraj, who is waiting in the wings licking his chops for lack of a better expression, immediately passed on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely and rightly so.
Speaker 8: And you say his platform hasn't been tested, We don't know what that is. The fact is, if you talk, if you take a look at what the legacy media is saying, Let's let's be honest. This guy is a legacy political character. Maybe it's worth listening to what the legacy media have to say. And the sort of one of the takeaways is that he changes his mind a lot. It's you know, he's not been a solid guy on any wing of the Labor Party for the past twenty thirty years, however long it's been. So we're kind of getting an unknown entity like who's been whispering in his ear recently? Where is his head at? He gave a speech today on the steps of Downing Street as a tradition, and he laid out a bunch of stuff and it was broad Strokes.
Speaker 4: There wasn't a lot of detail.
Speaker 8: There was certainly no detail on how these polities are going to get paid for. But it's kind of like labour best hit stuff. I'm not seeing a lot of really astonishing new ideas. But as you say, he's kind of playing this back to the future retro playbook. He wants to make this all about this David and Goliath struggle against the ghost of Thatcherism, and of course, you know, God bless her immortal memory, Baroness Thatcher has been dead for these ten years, fifteen years or more, she's been out of power for thirty five years. And still that's what he's making his leadership all about.
Speaker 3: Quite extraordinary, and this is direct and I alluded to this. He calls out Thatcher in the opening speech or what do you say? And also what's the larger here because the problem facing the UK right now absolutely easier of them have to do with Margaret Thatcher.
Speaker 8: Well, it's an interesting one. So you're why is he doing this? I think it plays very well for him with like traditional labor heartlands that labor, let's be honest, have been doing really badly with in the past few years. And Nigel Farrag has been doing very well there and I think it's also worth considering that until relatively recently, it's probably fair to say that Nigel Ferrag himself was like the last living, true proponent proponent of Thatcherism. So it's easy, I think, an easy message for Burnham to take to these northern post working class if you want to put it that way seats and say thatcher was the devil. She still is the devil. Nigel Farage wants to bring that devil back and I'm going.
Speaker 4: To stop him. The problem is this is really totally unreasonable.
Speaker 8: As I say, Fatriism is long gone, this is no longer a factor in British politics. And Nigel Forude himself, as I say, like the last yeah, the last night riding to that banner, told Breitbart News years ago now that he considers it answers for the past, the issues that Thatcherism dealt with, That was a problem for the nineteen seventies, she dealt with that in the eighties and the actual problems facing normal people in Britain. Now it's not about capitalism versus socialism, it's about the people versus corporatism, big business.
Speaker 4: And I think he's absolutely right to do that.
Speaker 8: So I think if we look talking about where politics in Britain goes now, let's say over the next five years, next two and a half years to the next general election, I think there's going to be an almost a proper gander battle between Nigel ferrag and Andy Burnham for who is going to seem the most legitimate, the most real, the most down to earth with those, as I say, post working class voters in post industrial towns, to say we can reindustrialize, we can bring these areas back, we can take back control. And these opening moves today that you've alluded to with these like kind of weird out of time references to Thatcher, that's Burnham building that up.
Speaker 3: So, Aliva, when we come back from the break, what I'm going to have you knew is I'm going to have you get into me, get into with me. What President Trump said to the incoming prime minister. I think he wants them.
Speaker 2: To maybe real baby drill.
Speaker 3: Perhaps I'm going to get a sense of is there a path for Farage to become the next prime minister, and whether or not this guy's going to be rehabilitating the left with a bunch of NGO funding all that to come on the Q Huge Show with Me Alex Marlow.
Speaker 2: Back to business on the Hugh Huge Show.
Speaker 3: Alex Marlow here, editor in chief of bright Bart News and host of The Alex Marlow Show. Usually wherever you hear Hugh just about all the same stations, almost a exact overlap in the ven diagrams. Thank you for joining me today and thanks to Hugh as always for allowing me into the Captain's chair. My London bureau chief for Brightbart News, Oliver Lane, is with me for another segment, and Oliver, I want to get into what we know about Andy Burnham, the new Prime Minister, and first of all, his platform. I'm just going to do some spoilers here. Didn't look like he's talking about immigration at all. Maybe the number one problem facing the UK right now, their energy crisis that they're in. It seems like he's a guy who's reliant on win, focused on net zero.
Speaker 2: He wants to deal with homelessness. Okay, great, but what's the plan. Get into what we know about his agenda thus far?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I have to emphasize we know so little, but you have picked up on basically the best place is to start. You started with immigration, the mass migration problem that the UK faces, just like so many European countries. I was crunching some figures earlier today, getting preparation for this, and I find it incredible. The population of the United Kingdom has increased by something like ten million since the nineteen eighties, but the white British population of the United Kingdom is actually less now than it was in nineteen eighty one. Now, the important thing about that is it shows a degree to which mass migration is driving population growth. And what does that drive great It drives property prices, because of course there's a finite number of houses.
Speaker 4: In this country. We aren't building very money.
Speaker 8: With more and more people, there's more and more demand and that goes the same Nigel Farage talks about this all the time. Demand on roads, schools, hospitals, every single conceivable public service under greater strain as higher costs, and this is driving a part of our cost of living crisis.
Speaker 4: Is what we call it over here.
Speaker 8: So this is a very important subject matter, and that all that rolls into is how important is to British people. If you look at the polling people being asked this country like twice a week. What are the most important political areas to you? Migration is number one, number two, number three every month going back for fifteen years. This is no small thing. And did Andy Burnham talk about it today, No, not a word. Reforming UK picked up on that right to do so some interesting developments there though. I mean, this is happening as we're talking now, and we're going to get more on this through the night. Burnham is now selecting his cabinet ministers, those people who are going to hold those offices within the government. And he's chosen his Home Secretary and guess what, it's the same one.
Speaker 4: As the last government.
Speaker 8: So he's keeping Starmer's Home Secretary, Shabarnamer Mood, and that is a signal because Shabanama Mood wein labor and I have to clarify this is as far as left people are concerned, she's a migration hardliner. To you and me, it's a laughable of thought to think of her as a migration hardliner. But as far as the left wing government goes, she's possibly the most hardline Interior minister Home Secretary we could possibly hope for.
Speaker 4: So there's something there. There's at least a hope.
Speaker 3: So there's already talk about dealing with homelessness, which, again, we all want to deal with homelessness, but this ends up being, at least in my neck of the words, out in Los Angeles, California, whenever we talk homelessness, we end up talking a bunch of money going out the door from taxpayers to left wing NGOs with zero results into your accountability.
Speaker 2: What's your expectation here, Yeah, this.
Speaker 8: Is such a difficult topic to talk about because you know, we want homelessness to be solved, that we want there to be answers to this, and it seems like there are only two answers that neither of them are actually very good.
Speaker 4: And you and I were talking about this earlier.
Speaker 8: There's the Paris Olympics approach, where you send in the police and put homeless people in the backs of lorries and move them to camps outside the city. I don't like the sound of that very much. That seems a bit authoritarian. And then there's the left wing throw of the problem. You know, feed those NGOs make them more.
Speaker 4: Powerful and richer.
Speaker 8: Doesn't actually seem to fix anything, but I guess it makes you feel better about yourself. So It's interesting that Andy Burnham, again no party policy platform, no manifesto, surprises us almost with when he stands before Downing Street, the Executive Mansion, if you can call it that, this afternoon, he says, the first thing I do when I walk in that door is I'm going to fix homelessness. Like he can click his finger and make it go away. Now, we're not aware he has any policy for that. So how's he going to make it work?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's good campaigning. It's just announcing platitudes. It's always worked for liberal people.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So the President of the United States, Donald J. Trump, he has a couple of things on his mind that we know about. He wants the UK to ramp up defense spending, and he wants them to work on their energy crisis and to stop focusing on wind and net zero and start getting some of the rich energy resources underneath their feet which they do not tap, and get that going because that does again, it does one of those things where if there is more abundant flow of energy around the world, it helps American energy prices, which is on his mind for obvious reasons.
Speaker 2: Do you see any potential.
Speaker 3: For that for more defense spending and more tapping of natural resources.
Speaker 8: It's it's amazing. That's like basic economics one O one. Increase the supply and the price of the demand will fall.
Speaker 3: Look, I learned economics at Berkeley and they still manage to teach that.
Speaker 2: It's they're one of the ones where Berkeley.
Speaker 4: Even at Berkeley.
Speaker 8: So yeah, this this is something that President Trump has been hitting the UK with for a long time because it's so incredibly obvious. He is so very obviously right, but British government after British government has been incredibly resilient to it. Now I'm just going to mention here that there was a call between the new Prime Minister Burnham and President Trump this afternoon, first telephone call that Burnham made in office, so that's always a good sign. And he has said that he wants to support, you know, the transatlantic relationship and you know, the usual platitudes. So that's goody out of the door. It doesn't seem like a total le this nutcase. So we don't know what's talking about in that. We haven't had the redoubts yet. But as you allude to, there have been other messages going to and from between Washington and London over the weekend. We had this I think pretty extraordinary intervention from President Trump right there, just before Burnham gets his foot in the door, to say, by the way, and there's that word again, you have a cost of living crisis, and parts of that it's not just mass migration. Part of it is energy is really really expensive. In the United Kingdom, we have some of the most expensive energy on Earth, and we have, as you say, Alex, all of this wonderful gas and oil underneath our feet. My goodness, we even have coal we can frack if we wanted to. And the problem is the government we've had under Sekiss Starma hitherto to this point, has been absolutely dedicated to net zero, this idea that we should decarbonize, we should leave it all under our feet. This leaves us in this weird paradoxical situation where we're having this like transition allegedly between carbon fuel and green energy, you know, solar panels and winter turbines, that sort of thing, And we're not drilling for what's under our feet, but we are importing it from Norway, our next door neighbors, who get it from exactly the same place that we would underneath the North seat. It's completely mad. Donald Trump can see the insanity and he's been saying very clearly, stop being so stupid.
Speaker 2: Just drill oh right out.
Speaker 3: Forty five seconds. What is the path forward for Nigel Farage, hopefully the next prime minister or how do we pull it off?
Speaker 8: This is the maximum moment of maximum danger because I think British people in general, even people who aren't that into politics, are very fair minded. And I think we'll have what we had with Sakis Starmer, a terrible prime minister, let's be clear, but he had a little bump in the polls after he became PM. I think people said to him, we want to give you a go. I think they're going to do the same now to Burnham, even if they don't know who he is. If it calls a snap election, it could be a diicy moment for Farage. He would otherwise be the next Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
Speaker 3: Last word for me, he looks like he is out of Central asking for a British prime minister. If that's one of Trump's lines he likes to use in Central Casie I learned is real thing Oliver Land amazing stuff. Read everything he writes at Breitbart London. I'm Alex Marlow and we'll be right back.