Speaker 1: On today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: One of the funniest movies ever made in any language, on any planet, in any universe airplane. So who do we have in studio? This is really a special special hour, folks. We have in studio the writers, the producers, the directors, the Zucker brothers and Jim Abrams. Who made this? I'll ask you the obvious. Does it seem like thirty years? Does it seem like thirty days? Does it seem like a century? I mean, you're sitting here. This put you, guys in the center of Hollywood and the world.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: You are listening to the best of the Dennis Prager Show. Stand By for the most extraordinary chain of events ever swept up into high adventure. Never has the spoon band so big. Have you ever been in a cockpit before, sir, I've been before.
Speaker 3: Peter Greggs ever seen a grown man naked.
Speaker 2: Kareem Abdul Jabbar. My name is Roger Murdoch. I'm an airline pilot. Leslie Nielsen. This woman has to be got into a hospital. That's a big building with patients. That's not important right now. Lloyd Bridges, Johnny, what can you make out of this?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 4: What a big cap for brooch or turned out could be grown?
Speaker 2: Robert Stack All right, steeple's face.
Speaker 1: A few facts, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your site.
Speaker 2: Julie Haggerty, By.
Speaker 3: The way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
Speaker 2: Can you fly this plane and land it? Robert Hayes, surely you can't be serious. I am serious, and don't call me Shirley. The most incredible adventure the screen has ever created.
Speaker 1: Airplane?
Speaker 2: All right, I'm sure you're wondering, my friends, Dennis Praeger here why we open the show with the trailer from exactly thirty years ago to one of the funniest movies ever made in any language, on any planet in any universe, Airplane. And the reason is that it is indeed the thirtieth anniversary of what is considered a classic. There are not many film classics. Airplane is truly one of them, and there are almost no comedy classics. It's much easier, in my opinion, and we'll talk to the folks that I will introduce you to in just a moment. I think it's a lot easier in a film. In greenplay to make people cry then to make people laugh. It just is, you know, somebody's dying of cancer, and and the kid is with the mother who's dying, and everybody cries. But to make people laugh and to make people laugh for thirty years, that's that's an achievement. And by the way, it's a beautiful achievement because people do need to laugh. So who do we have in studio? This is really a special a special hour. Folks. We have in studio, the writers, the producers, the directors, the first grip, the second grip, the third grip. You guys did everything, I mean, really, I don't. I'm surprised anybody else is listed in the credits. We have the the Zucker brothers and Jim Abrams who made this. There was it wasn't exactly your first film, correct, it was.
Speaker 5: It was go On the first time we directed, but we had written a movie called Kentucky fris That's.
Speaker 2: Right, Kentucky Fried Chicken. But this was the yeah with you directing. I'm sorry, what was that? Oh? I said, Chicken Chicken okay, kind of super Bowl. No, No, I knew Kentucky Fry movie. But my brain went into automatic. It happens every so often, Bill and and so, Jerry Zucker, David Zucker, Jim Abrams. This is this is huge. I'll ask you the obvious. Does it seem like thirty years? Does it seem like thirty days? Does it seem like a century? I mean, you're sitting here, this this put you, guys in the center of Hollywood and the world. Why are you looking at me for this answer?
Speaker 6: It's like, David, all I know is that the traffic is much worse in LA today than it was thirty years ago, because you know, it took the full you know, hour and fifteen minutes to get here. That's true, that is, but it just seems I mean the time, well, time flies, and it gets goes faster and faster once you get older, and you know, I mean soon, you know, one of us is going to have a grandchild for.
Speaker 2: All we know. You know, so that's right, may you, May you all be blessed with the grandchildren. The movie is listed you showed me Alan, it was listed in the top ten funniest ever made. I think it's in the top three funniest ever made.
Speaker 3: You thought that were funnier?
Speaker 2: No, no, not at all. It could be in the top three and number one. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: I just want to No, no, I know, no, that's very fair.
Speaker 2: I don't know fair. No, actually, no, the truth is I'm not okay. That's a good point, and there many are. It's it's it's not my genre of of humor, all right. Another obvious question, then less obvious questions. What did you think would happen to Airplane? Did you think it would do? Okay? Did you? Were you overwhelmed by what happened?
Speaker 7: Jim, Well, it took us six years to make Airplane. And during those whole sixes from the time he started writing it Tewana in a movie theater, and when you worked that hired and that passionately and so devout about something, you believe in it. And so we absolutely believed in it and would have been shocked if it hadn't been a hit, that it would have lasted for thirty years and we'd be sitting in your studio with Dennis Prager thirty years later, reminiscing about what it was like. I don't think anybody had a clue that would happen.
Speaker 2: Well, I deserve it. I'll tell you. It's really one of those classic adums. I won't say rags to riches. I don't know if you guys were in rags, you certainly weren't. Is that fair? Yeah? Middle class to rich, mid middle class to riches. Are you all from Milwaukee? Yep, from the same high school. No kidding, that's very powerful.
Speaker 5: Our fathers were actually business partners at one time, Abrams and.
Speaker 2: Zucker, and our sisters were college roommates.
Speaker 7: And our mothers used to dance together at the Boom Boom Club in downtown Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: No kidding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was my next question.
Speaker 3: The rest of it is actually true.
Speaker 2: Just now, now, just in case his mom is listening, I want you to know that the thing that is so amazing about your film, well, one of the things is that to this day people will use lines from it. That's that's really what you call an achievement. I myself, I can't believe it. Will say, uh, don't call me Shirley. I can't. You know, when somebody says, oh, Sureley, you're going to the park, and I find this, I do.
Speaker 6: The same thing, and it's more embarrassing because you know, people ask me how I want my coffee and it just comes out, you know, I take it black like my men.
Speaker 2: And it's then I forget. Oh wait, I'm just quoting from this movie where the actors cooperative and cracking up, where there are any problems. I mean, thirty years later, I think you could be you could divulge this, not not as much as you'd think.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, the business of making comedy is pretty much just that, it's a business.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: We we live with the script for a year, a couple of years, and then you know, you get it on set. You rehearse it a bunch of times. It's very little cracking up on the set. Really, No, there wasn't really, not not really.
Speaker 2: I mean you have outtakes.
Speaker 5: My memory is a little different than David's, and and I I remember actually, I mean, we didn't improvise a lot the movie was you did ninety nine percent of the script of the film that you see as what was on the page. But I do remember laughing a lot, you know, watching you know, when we're watching it unfold, not after the twelfth take, but I do remember laughing a lot and having a just my recollection.
Speaker 3: Of it is that it was just a wonderful time making the film.
Speaker 2: I thought you meant like outtake kind of last, but well, yeah, I do both. Where Leslie Nielsen would just crack up because he couldn't say the lines with the straight fa that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Much, but Jerry's if we were laughing at our own jokes were.
Speaker 4: But that's good.
Speaker 6: Part of part of the business of directing comedy is you you do have to see at every take, and we watch the monitors for the which you know, shows what the camera is seen. And we have to laugh at the end of because if we don't, that means that it's a bad We have to we have to approach it like we're seeing these lines.
Speaker 2: Folks, if you'd like to speak, this is probably a unique opportunity, a classic film and all and the three people responsible for it, writing, directing and producing and everything else. Did you guys order the food as well? I mean, I'll fortunately not one eight Prager seven seven six and uh eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. It's the thirtieth anniversary of one of the funniest films ever made. What I would be curious to know. I'd love to show this to a college audience today, because is almost always a culture bound. That's one thing about humor. It's very hard to transcept. I mean, nobody starts cracking up at a midsommer Night's Dream or any of the comedies of Shakespeare. You know, you enjoy it, you smile, but the audience is then we're rolling in the aisles presumably, And have you tried this? Do you know how it would go today with college kids? Maybe some young people will call in, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Actually, at the time, in order to edit the film, we screened it for college kids because in a normal recruited screening, nobody knew anything about it and it was hard to get a the right reaction, So that age was actually great. Now, the thing is, because of you know, DVDs, they've all seen it since they were eleven, so you really don't find a college crowd who were seeing it for the first time that terrific.
Speaker 2: I think it can. I it would be better if I'm no better.
Speaker 3: Percentage of the DVD is.
Speaker 2: But I believe this transcends time. I well, we've been sighting. Sure, you've been screening it all summer.
Speaker 6: At these thirty year anniversary celebration you have and the audiences laugh, you know, start to finish.
Speaker 2: Still all right, back at the moment, thirtieth anniversary of Airplane. Surely you can't be serious. I am serious, and don't call me sure.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 3: Flight to zero niner.
Speaker 8: You are cleared for takeoff, Roger la departure, break with me?
Speaker 9: What you're three point niner?
Speaker 2: Roger Greek quest.
Speaker 9: Vender old, but fight you a zero niner?
Speaker 8: Clear for vector and free two four?
Speaker 2: You have Clarence Clarence, Roger Rogers. Let's start Victare Victor.
Speaker 8: Now a radio Clarence over that, Clarence over cover.
Speaker 2: Not you're overy. I'm sitting here giggling like I had never seen this. This is the thirtieth anniversary of the classic film Airplane, and I have the the everything's the people who made it, wrote it, directed it, produced it. Here the Zucker Brothers, Jerry and David and Jim Abrams. They've known each other since high school from Milwaukee. And I'm going to go to calls. I have a lot of my own questions, but people around the country have have questions, all right, New York City, Jonathan, Dennis Prager and everybody who made Airplane, Hi, Zucker.
Speaker 10: Brothers, I everybody Abrams. I want to just wish you, Mazzletov on your thirtieth anniversary. And I want to tell you that you're Your movie literally is one of the guiding lights in my life. Actually in the office here they have some fans and something. We've literally gone through your videos Sometimes in the morning we'll turn it on and watch for a few minutes.
Speaker 8: A day, just to start the day.
Speaker 10: And I have a question for you that I've always wondered. You know, I watched your movies back in the eighties like a little kid, and I've always wondered, how did you manage to pull off a PG rating back in the eighties with with some of those wild scenes going on there.
Speaker 2: There was no PG thirteen invented at that time. This was it was. It was a new rate.
Speaker 6: I think Spielberg got that first PG thirteen a couple of years later for some movie you did, but there was only PG and then I think it went right to R.
Speaker 2: Well, there was no except for slapping the lady in that row, which I thought was one of the great moments of my life. The lady screen will talk about that in a moment. There was no nudity right there, and there.
Speaker 4: Was there was.
Speaker 3: How did you miss that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That is paying me. You know, I would forget that, you know, maybe I don't know. I had this jumbo pop corner.
Speaker 4: Was it was utterly yeah, I mean there was no reason.
Speaker 2: For the which is exactly true for almost all films, but it gotta laugh. So we left it in. Okay, I see, So that's why he know there's a bad sign that I don't remember that. It must have been brief. Was it brief? It was very tell me it was brief.
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, but brief but wonderful, as were the auditions.
Speaker 2: And it was my son's favorite part of the movie. I mean when he got threur, yeah, I know, I knew that was coming. Yeah, I'm sure he did. He saw his food. How to three people? How did three people direct the movie? Well, it's not really know why. All right, I'm a straight man. I am now, I am an official straight man. How many times did you guys do that? The truth was this the eight thousand and four Okay, fine, yeah, I would go into or more films here. Let's go to Lake Balboa, California and Gary, Hello, Gary, Dennis Prager and the Zuckers and Jim Abrams.
Speaker 11: Hi, Dennis, love your show, Thank you me too. This is one of my favorite all time movies, and I've always wondered what the inspiration of the genesis for this idea was. It's just brilliant.
Speaker 2: I think these guys survived an air crash, and what was the genesis. What we used to do with Jim Abrams.
Speaker 7: For inspiration would be to leave a tape recorder on the television all night long to capture late night commercials because that's when all the cheapest, silliest stuff was on TV, and then we would do parodies of those commercials or TV shows. One morning, we got to work and had captured a movie called Zero Hour, which was a nineteen fifty seven melodrama written by Arthur Hey starring Linda Darnell and Sterling Hayden. And Dana Andrews, and it was the story of Airplane. And so we rewrote Zero Hour as a comedy, hung our jokes on their story, using their characters, and that was where.
Speaker 4: It came from.
Speaker 2: So that a real film inspired you, an actual real movie. Yes, I would like to see that now.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's fun. It's excellent to see it now, especially in the wake of Airplane.
Speaker 1: And we.
Speaker 7: We have put together videos of intercutting Zero Hour scenes with our scenes and.
Speaker 2: The public on YouTube.
Speaker 6: They have zero If you google a zero hour an airplane, I mean type in zero hour airplane, you may you may see this.
Speaker 2: People have done a side by side, a scene by scene comparison. Oh really, yeah, right, that they have. It's probably studied constantly. Some of the lines we lifted completely intact, no kidding. When when Leslie Nielsen says, uh, Stewardess, I think you ought to know what our chances are.
Speaker 6: The lives of everyone on board depends on one thing, finding someone back there who not only can fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.
Speaker 2: And that's it, and the cats all laugh. But that really was the said by the doctor in Zero Hour, but he meant it seriously. He meant it seriously right, It sounds like quite a film. It's worthy of parody in parts unintentionally hilarious. Jerry, how are the first reviews?
Speaker 3: The first reviews were, I think, pretty good, but mixed. I mean I think you know.
Speaker 2: Everyone who panned it, Kale, they know now was she wait? Was she New Yorker?
Speaker 4: Was she the New Yorker?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, but I found out later she when she saw it, she was sitting next to Woody Allen, and Woody Allen kept saying.
Speaker 2: No, this is great.
Speaker 6: Don't you see this is this is funny, and she she says, but there's no comedians in it, so she just she really.
Speaker 2: Well, look when push comes to show, I rather Woody Allen think it's funny than fully right. I mean, you know, if you had to really choose so so, but well, let's say other reviews and so it was mixed.
Speaker 5: In other words, it was it was, but I think it was mostly but it's probably seventy percent favorable. The thing about Airplane it was it divided people in the sense that there's a certain kind of person that that's just that's their sense of humor. They really respond to that satire and then there's a certain kind of mind.
Speaker 3: That just didn't you know, didn't get that, didn't love that.
Speaker 5: Didn't understand why everybody was just being straight and there weren't any silly, funny people in it.
Speaker 2: In light of that, how did it do overseas? How culture bound? Is it great?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: You know why because it was a satire on American movies, and they get American movies, they share.
Speaker 2: The references, but but they wouldn't know Roger Roger and.
Speaker 4: You know Cluns had trouble transfer.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but actually we had a we had an interesting experience because we had an opportunity.
Speaker 4: To see it in Germany.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Was dubbed dub But when the scene came.
Speaker 7: Up with the black guys, the dubbed black guys, it got as big a laugh in Germany as it did in the United States. And sitting in the audience, how why that could happen? And it was explained to us afterward that the that the black guys were dubbed in Bavarian, which they.
Speaker 2: Don't get.
Speaker 3: Anymore.
Speaker 2: I got to get out of here, I got to get out of here.
Speaker 8: Get a hold of yourself.
Speaker 2: I'll get back to your seat. I'll take care of this. Everything's pretty.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 5: The red is for agloading and unloading of passengers.
Speaker 2: Only there's no stopping in the White song.
Speaker 11: You know, the white show is for noting and unknowating, and there is no stopping.
Speaker 2: The Renais the reds has always been reloading it unloading. There's never stopping at on White song.
Speaker 11: Don't tell me which sew is for stopping and which sell is.
Speaker 2: Harmony to listen study, don't start up with your white dogyap. I'm still laughing. Thirty years later, It's thirty years since one of the true classics, and that's that's the highest appellation you can give to any any work of art has appeared, and that is the film Airplane. And we have the Zucker brothers and Jim Abrams who wrote it, directed it, produced it, et cetera. By the way, I see produced it. Where did you get the money to do this? You guys were not rich. Where did you How did you?
Speaker 6: We took it for years, we took it around to studios and we kept rewriting it, and every studio in Hollywood turned it down. Naturally, one guy sought the idea and the script and liked it, and that was Michael Eisner at Paramount, So.
Speaker 2: I really owe him a lot. He you know, Wow, that's fascinating. I'm glad I asked one guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he saw it somehow and had us into to meet. And I remember the first time we ever went to Paramount.
Speaker 2: We were just awestruck by the carpet. It was really plush carpet. Yeah, I believe it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, producers never put their own money into movies.
Speaker 2: They raised very rarely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get either the studios are foreign financing.
Speaker 2: And you've got a studio so through Paramount is.
Speaker 3: Also very inexpensive.
Speaker 2: And Paramount took the script and made it better. Yeah. Why was it inexpensive because it was shot at one place.
Speaker 5: Well, it was you know a bunch of people on a you know plane in the control tower and all we shot it in seven weeks. It was there was a three million dollar three and a half million expensive cast.
Speaker 4: Inexpensive. Everything about it.
Speaker 2: Was who casted it? Did you guys? Did you hire a casting Yeah, you have a cast in Dropper.
Speaker 3: But in movies it's not just but the movies.
Speaker 5: The directors make the decision, although obviously the studio can say has veto power thought of Kareem.
Speaker 7: Kareem was actually uh fallback position. We had originally written that part. We wanted to have a famous athlete play a part because to make fun of the whole notion that athletes are frequently given parts and movies and they really can't act their athletes. And so we originally wrote the part for Pete Rose. Oh really, And that was before Pete Rose been outed as Pete Grose, and but we filmed the movie during the summer and so he was unavailable. He was playing baseball. So as a fallback position, we wrote the part for Kareem.
Speaker 2: Did he enjoy doing it?
Speaker 4: Not particularly, I don't think I think he.
Speaker 2: Actually did enjoy it.
Speaker 3: But but the thing is, but he's he's not He's not the monster. Kareem is a very.
Speaker 5: Low key guy, and so I think it's like hard to tell whether Kareem is happier. But he really, he said, I ran into him recently, actually just a couple of months ago, and he wants to act a get more.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Later he responded, yeah, and I've read interviews with him, he said airplane changed his life.
Speaker 2: Yeah really, yeah, oh yeah. Register.
Speaker 7: The other thing that it was kind of interesting is that at the time he didn't memorize his line.
Speaker 4: So we had to give him que cards.
Speaker 7: And recently, with all this thirty years later stuff coming out, somebody wrote and at the time when when you can see him reading Q cards in the movie, and we were upset because he didn't memorize his lines and had to use que cards. Thirty years later in an article, we were given credit for being brilliant for exposing athletes who are not really actors by making him read obviously reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh that's precious. Yeah, that is a precious story. Let's go to Minneapolis and Bill. Hello, Bill, Dennis Prager and the airplane Gang.
Speaker 12: Dennis, good morning to you. First of all, i'd like to say it's certainly an honor to talk to you and these gentlemen that gave us this American icon, and especially from the aviation community. We would just like to say thank you, thank you, thank you. It's uh, we use these lines almost daily in the cockpit, that's reassured. And Dennis, someone will hand me a map, of course and say what can you.
Speaker 1: Make a visit and.
Speaker 12: Act it's it's And I was telling your screener one time I had a We were sitting at the gate and uh, we were finished with our checklists and we had briefed the takeoff and all the departure proceeding, so we was just kind of a downtime and I turned around. There was a young boy standing next to me, which happens quite often, you know, they come and they visit the cockpit, and not seeing the mother in the cockpit door, I turned around and I said, oh, and who are you? And he said Kimmy or whatever, And of course, without even thinking it just Jimmy.
Speaker 8: Do you like Gladiator move?
Speaker 3: I hear?
Speaker 2: But my dad says you don't work hard enough on defense.
Speaker 3: And he says that lots of times you don't even run on court, judge, don't really try set during the playoffs.
Speaker 13: The hell, I don't listen. I've been hearing that for ever since I was at U c l A. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and near roup and down the court for forty eight minutes.
Speaker 2: Joe, do you like movies about Gladiators. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show. It was a an airline pilot, maybe maybe one of the planes I will be flying or have flown, who speaks about how often pilots use the jargon and the funny lines from this great classic airplane. And if you're just tuning in, shame on you because you missed so much fun here. That's why we have Prageatopia, by the way, so you can get every hour anytime you want at the giant price of six dollars a month, and it's Pragatopia at the website. Thennis Praguer dot com. Jerry Zucker, David Zucker, Jim Abrams, the folks who made this, they were in their early thirties when it was done. It's thirty years ago. It's not thirty years ago today, but it's thirty years ago. Was there What was the opening date? I think late July.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure it was late July.
Speaker 7: We often talk about how sort of the seas divided for airplane, I mean, everything eventually just fell into place beautifully. And one problem, one of our worries at the time was, gosh, late July of nineteen eighty we're going to be competing against the Summer Olympics. But what do you know, we boycotted the Summer Olympics, so there was no context.
Speaker 2: Oh how interesting. There were those who say that that was the reason, not Afghanistan. It was the Help. There was the Help airplane and Jimmy Ky. Yeah, so there you go. He is a hero, Laurie in Minneapolis, Hi, Dennis Prager and the airplane gang.
Speaker 14: Hi, this question is for the Zucker Brothers. Actually it's just more of an anecdote. I also love your movie Top Secret. I used to work with a woman who her husband. I do believe he worked with you guys when he was in college. It was a summer job or maybe a school year job in Madison.
Speaker 2: Does that sound what's his name?
Speaker 14: I'll just say his first name. I believe it's Bill.
Speaker 2: Oh Bill.
Speaker 14: You guys were lying cooks and he was a dishwasher. Does that sound right? A long time ago, so I'm trying to remember the details.
Speaker 2: But I was were you yeah, yeah? In college? All right, all right, Laurie, thank you so much. All Right, you guys don't remember Bill, don't give me a I remember a few bit, my guys. I didn't start radio yesterday. You don't feel like I know, Bill, my uncle Bill. Thank you, Laurie, Atlanta, Georgia. And Ben, Hello, Ben, Dennis Prager, how you doing.
Speaker 9: I just want to thank you guys. Your Your movie was the first movie I took my wife to be we went to see.
Speaker 2: And did she laugh?
Speaker 8: Movie open?
Speaker 2: Wait? Did she laugh?
Speaker 9: Above the Clouds?
Speaker 2: Wait? Ben? Ben? Did she laugh?
Speaker 8: Excuse me?
Speaker 2: Did she laugh?
Speaker 9: She was hysterical? You don't see it again because we missed so much?
Speaker 2: Okay, then he did the right thing. I got a second date, he got Oh, so that's it. You got a second date out of it. And you're thinking, and I married her.
Speaker 9: It's going to be our twenty ninth wedding anniversary.
Speaker 2: Congratulations. You can be on the show next year.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I think the three of you should go to Atlanta and celebrate with them. Yeah, that would be.
Speaker 9: Movie started and they showed Above the Clouds and the Jaws music started playing, and the Tale of That Plane went by. I looked at my wife. I said that was worth the five bucks, and.
Speaker 2: She said that's all I work. Five bucks for a movie. Yeah, that dates it. That absolutely does. All right, let's go to uh San Diego and Beck, is that right? Beck?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 15: Beck?
Speaker 2: Hi Beck.
Speaker 15: Hey, So look, I've been trying to track down these Zookers for a long time because I'd like to put in a request for the refund of the three hundred and ninety two hours of my husband's life that he has lost watching this movie.
Speaker 2: Over and over again, no kidding.
Speaker 15: And he's a pilot, he's a military pilot, private pilot, and oh my god, it doesn't matter if it's you know, if we have to get up at three am the next day to do whatever. If that movie comes on, he's staying up and watching it.
Speaker 3: I'm saying that might be a pre existing condition. We can't take it.
Speaker 2: I I think you should sue the Zucker brothers and Jim I I do you know?
Speaker 15: I think I should too. Are they worth anything?
Speaker 2: Well, the laughter tells you that, thew but the answer that's terrific, you know that. I love the fact that all these pilots love the film. So that's a great sign. But there's certain movies that you just once you start watching him, you just you get sucked in. Oh well, your that is one of them.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 3: If if I.
Speaker 2: Midway you know, the one with Charlton Heston. It's all about the battle. Yeah, no, I didn't see it. Alan, you know it? Right? Is that? Does that suck you in? Allen? Okay? Get it was panned by the critics, panned by Alan. That's that's when the audience left was yes, okay, we have here, what is it? Okay?
Speaker 3: So that means the movie sucks, Phoenix said Christine.
Speaker 2: Hello, Christine, Hello, how are you all?
Speaker 16: Gentlemen? Thank you so much for such a wonderful film. I have to tell you at the beginning of your hour, I watched this movie with my father and the sound of him laughing is one of my favorite sounds in the world. And I called him to tell him you guys were on. He just retired, so he puts you on as well. But my question was, how difficult was it to get June Cleaver to speak jibs.
Speaker 3: That that was?
Speaker 2: Explain explain that to the audience.
Speaker 5: Uh, well, we grew up on Leave It to Beaver and and uh and for David and I it was like that was our family, you know.
Speaker 3: And uh, but but we we when we first wrote that stuff, Uh, we really didn't.
Speaker 5: We really didn't write those lines we kind of wrote the most show for you know, in the script and and sort of when when these African American as would come into audition, we'd.
Speaker 3: Apologize and just say that's the best.
Speaker 5: Three white Jewish guys from Milwaukee continue you know, and and uh, but but so these guys and Norm Gibbs an Ale White uh actually wrote this stuff then and and and the the actual you know jive and they really helped Barbara Billingsley.
Speaker 2: Uh. It's an incredible scene. Back in a moment Dennis Prager and the Airplane creators jes lows blood.
Speaker 3: She's gonna catch up and read.
Speaker 2: That what it is, Big Mama, Ma Mama, the raised no duns.
Speaker 11: Jumper one a chump.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom in me like something to read?
Speaker 14: Do you have anything light?
Speaker 9: How about this leaflet?
Speaker 14: Famous Jewish sports legend?
Speaker 2: Thank you guys. I'll tell you it's a little painful that the hour. This is the last segment of the hour. I'm having almost as much fun with the creators of the movie Airplane as I as I do. I'm stuckering here because I love it so much as I do watching the actual the actual movie. We have the Zucker Brothers and Jim Abrams, the creators of this epic. It's thirty years since it was made. Sharon in Los Angeles, Dennis Praeger, and the creators of Airplane.
Speaker 8: Hi, guys, thanks for taking my call. I just want to share this. In nineteen eighty three, I was a soldier back in Israel and we were in the desert watching the movie under the open sky at night. Then the samement for the soldier. I wanted to thank you guys. We have this very intimidating, big guy officer and when the h the point where the guitar was playing and the tubes were starting to fly out, and uh, he just lost it and he almost burst the steam. It was a great joy for all of us to see this very curious, intimidating guy act humanly.
Speaker 2: That's a beautiful story. That's what That's what you guys, that's what you.
Speaker 3: Laughter is a great equalizer.
Speaker 2: When you think that's what. No, that's why I salute you. That's exactly right. Let's go to San Diego and and and Dennis Prager and the creators of Airplane. Hello, Ann, okay, and well let's go to uh Minneapolis and Dean Dean. Hello, Dennis Prager and the Airplane creators.
Speaker 17: Hi Dennis, Hi, I love your show and I'm really having fun here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 17: I was on a first date as well when I first saw this, but it was not only a first aid of blind date. Like my friend's girlfriend's cousin was visiting from who knows where, and we decided to go to a movie, and I just remember spending at least half the movie bent over looking down the row of seats at my friend with tears in my eyes. Your kindent earlier about you know, some people get it, some people don't. To this day, I don't know if she got it or she didn't, but it was one of those where she didn't. I don't think she wanted to laugh, or she felt like she couldn't because she didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, yeah he didn't marry Light didn't marry you guys prevented a bad marriage. Good. Yeah, listen, in all seriousness on behalf of tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions of people, thank you, because to make people laugh, it's a tough light for everybody. On earth and you made people laugh, and you did for thirty years. May you have many more years of making great films. Thank you, Thank you all. Tell me I'm Dennis Braker.
Speaker 3: Like I picked it wrong.
Speaker 2: They smoke wrong.
Speaker 1: Wait tomorrow on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: All right, Dennis, what's going to make me happy? And what's going to make me unhappy? I'll answer that, all right, with all the chutzpah at my disposal. I will tell you what won't make you happy that you pursue or if not you, of course you collectively, not you individually, but you and me. I have to fight the same battles as many of you. We none of us all have the identical battles. But I have battles. If I didn't have battles for happiness, I couldn't do this.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. This has been Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.