Speaker 1: On today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: The believer in God has to account for the existence of one thing, evil and suffering. The atheist has to account for the existence of everything else. That's big. It has served in my life at moments of doubt to be a very, very persuasive argument.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom. But Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 1: Thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs had to purchase Dennisprager's Rational Bibles. Go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: And hello everybody, and welcome to the Dennis Prager Show, the Ultimate Issues hour every week at this time, I talk to you about some great issue of life. And I can't believe I have not done this one. I looked at the list and I have not done this one. It's it's the ultimate of the ultimate issues. It's Ultimate squared, and that is God and suffering called the problem of theodicy, not theology, theodicy dic why, and that is reconciling God with all the suffering, the unjust suffering, the evil and the tragedies of this life in this world. If you ask people who don't believe in God why they don't or why they're yeah, in other words, agnostics or atheist, that's often the biggest reason. How can I believe in God? All of these terrible things that happen. It seems like a random universe. And I understand that. I absolutely understand that people look at this world and they can say that my argument against that is not specific to the issue of suffering. But I do have I have two answers in fact. One, right, so you look at the suffering and that argues against God? All right, fair enough? Now I want you to look at all the non suffering and all else that there is and deny that that's evidence for God.
Speaker 3: You can't have.
Speaker 2: Evidence in a courtroom that only argues on one side. There's something intellectually dishonest about that. I have no problem in acknowledging the difficulty of the issue of evil and suffering and reconciling those with a belief in the good God. I, as a believer in God, I fully acknowledge the difficulties raised by the built in injustices of this world. But I ask those of you who use that as your reason not to believe in God. Say well, but there is another side to this argument. Look at all of the good, look at all that was created. It's a little strange to say X ABC argue against God, but the d through z don't argue for God. Now, if you want to say, look, there are arguments for and there are arguments against I, I fine, I respect that. But merely saying oh, can't believe in God. There's there's so much injustice and built into this world. I can't believe in God that that's not a That's not an intellectually sound argument. So that's one argument I said I had too. I have another one, and then we'll talk about the issue itself. The other argument is taken from a rabbi named Milton Steinberg. I always try to quote sources. I think stealing ideas is in fact the So often people will say to me, oh, Dennis, I'm going to steal that idea, and I think, but didn't you know it says thou shalt not steal. I had never understood why people think stealing an idea is okay. So I always try to attribute sources. And there was this rabbi and I am paraphrasing him. This is a paraphrase, but it's a very very powerful argument, in at least it's been powerful in my life. And here goes the believer in God has to account for the for one thing, the existence of evil and suffering. The atheist has to account for the existence of everything else. I would say to you that, in a nutshell, that is the most persuasive answer that I have for the question of God and suffering. It doesn't directly deal with it, but it gives you a the larger perspective in which to be able to believe in God. I find that to be a terrific argument. I'll say it one more time. The believer in God has to account for the existence of one thing, evil and suffering. The atheist has to account for the existence of everything else. That's big, and it has served in my life, at moments of doubt to be a very very persuasive argument, because I cannot explain everything else without God, I cannot. It all came about on its own. So evil suggests there is a God, but goodness evil suggests there's no God, but goodness doesn't suggest.
Speaker 3: There is a God.
Speaker 2: It's an imbalanced argument, utterly imbalanced.
Speaker 3: Now as it happens.
Speaker 2: There's another argus him in two that those who say, well that there's evil and suffering, so there must not be a god. Remember, if there is no god, there's no there's no issue of evil. The only time evil becomes an issue is if you assume that there is a god. Then that becomes a question why is there so much evil? But i'll leave that one aside. One eighth Prager seven seven six.
Speaker 3: You're all cheating by calling before I finish.
Speaker 2: Eh, you don't even know what I said, and you're already called. But luck, you have stuff to say. I understand that. And you're chomping at the bit or whatever that phrase is, chafing at the bit, chomping at the bit, chafing at the chump, jumping at the chaff, chiffing at the chof And I understand that you want to talk to me about it. Now let me let me directly talk about the issue itself. Now for a moment. There is no question but that there are are aspects of suffering and unjust suffering, and that's important because there's also just suffering. There are aspects of unjust suffering in this world that seem to challenge the governance of a good God.
Speaker 3: They do.
Speaker 2: And I think people like me who believe deeply in God have to acknowledge that God acknowledges it. There is a book of the Bible that in fact deals with this question of God and suffering and unjust suffering. It's the Book of Job Job. And at the end of the book, after suffering horrifically and unjustly, Job asks God God questions. But at the end of the book God asked Job questions, and he said, Job, if you know so much, tell me where were you when the world was started? Who makes sure that a mother bear takes care of her cubs. Who is the one that makes sure that a mother eagle builds a nest? Who knows what happens after the gates of death? In other words, Job, and all humans you don't know. You can't understand everything. My ways are not your ways. I believe it was Isaiah who put it. I want you to know that I find deep satisfaction, intellectual satisfaction with those answers. I want to make this clear because this is something that a lot of believers and I differ.
Speaker 3: With regard to.
Speaker 2: I have not only no problem in saying that I cannot answer fully the existence of so much unjust suffering with a good God's existence. I not only don't have the problem with that, I admit it, and I like the fact that there are religions that don't demand explos nations for everything. See for example. I do not believe when everything happens that somebody says, well, everything is for the good. I don't believe that there are things that are so horrific that have happened to people there was no good that came out of it.
Speaker 3: None.
Speaker 2: You're walking down in Iraqi Street with your family and you're all blown apart and or brain damaged for the rest of your life, and there's no good that comes out of that. It's sheer, pure evil. Now I blame evil on people, not on God. But I'm just explaining that I don't buy the argument, well, we really don't have evil because in the final analysis, everything is for the good. That's not true. I stare evil and suffering in the face, and I am prepared to say this. There are certain things that cannot be explained. Only God knows the answer to why a child is born with terrible suffering and pain. Siamese Twins, I don't know whatever, they don't have terrible. They have suffering, but not pain necessarily. I'm just giving that as another example. But I've given you some of the some of the arguments that sustain me, like the Steinberg argument, and I will take your calls, any challenge on this you want, because I do believe in God and I do confront the reality of evil. This is the Ultimate Issues hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Dentis Prager Show the Ultimate Issues, an hour each week at this time devoted to some great issue of life. Doesn't get greater than the question of how do you reconcile all the unjust suffering in the world with the existence of God, specifically a good God. And I fully acknowledge that there comes a point where we cannot know the answer, and I find that persuasive. I me, trying to understand everything and understand everything about God's ways is like my dog trying to understand any of my books. It's not available to us. This won't satisfy many of you, either religious or non religious, or believer or non believer, because you believe that there should be an answer to all questions. Since I know that we have finite minds, I can live with that finitude and that's it. I could live with it. But beyond that, I blame human evil on humans. To a certain extent, I blame it on God too, to be perfectly honest, because he created such a flawed being. I am not one of the admirers of humanity. I admire humans, but I have contempt for humanity. So just as an aside, written an article on that, and I won't I won't belabor that point. Now, there are terrific human beings, but humanity as a whole has a very unimpressive record, highly unimpressive. That's why I always get a kick out of humanists. They can't believe in God, but they believe in humanity. What a crack up. God's got a better record than humanity. All right, let's go to some of your calls here and let's uh, let's go to Michael in Someamish, Washington. Hello, Michael Dennis Prager. Where is some Amish?
Speaker 4: Where some Amish? Yeah, it's east of Seattle, Washington.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love the name. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: This is really a great honor. Thank you for taking my call. He really is.
Speaker 3: Thank you for the comment.
Speaker 4: Just two things, I'll take your comments offline. First of all, I think we need to keep in mind that without evil, we have no way by which to judge what is good. So evil and good are kind of two sides of the same coin, if you will. But more deeply than that, God created us and desires for us freedom and free will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your you are, Michael, forgive me. You are explaining evil. The great question vis a v. God is not so much evil but suffering. That was natural children born with tumors, not not the evil that people freely choose, right.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to make the distinction between the two kinds of evil. The second point was, was I think more an answer to your question. There is an assumption in the question that we are to judge, say, an afterlife, by this life. It may be the case that God tolerates tsunamis because he knows that those innocent children will be in a better place. I'm not saying that's the answer. I'm saying that is something to reflect on that in that life, as we know it may not accurately reflect what God's intentions for us are as.
Speaker 2: That's very good, that's very good, Michael. I agree with that. I agree, but but it's a variation on my theme that we can't understand fully how God has made a world like that. The only problem that I have with that, and I do agree with everything that Michael said, and thank you again for your call, is that it doesn't it see saying that we go to a better place, which which I have to believe, I mean, I mean, I have to believe it intellectually. If we die and and and everybody goes to something worse, it would that would really be a theological problem. But saying that doesn't answer the question fully because you still have the problem of this world's suffering. All right, So that baby will go to a better place, But what about the parent of the child who was killed in the tsunami, who has to live out their life here with this, with the daily horrific pain of the death of their child. So you see, I never minimize This is something I need to explain to all of you. I never minimize the amount of suffering in this world, the amount of of of unjust pain. I believe deeply in God, but I don't allow myself to become intellectually weak by making the questions simpler or by denying the obvious. The obvious is that there was a staggering amount of unjust suffering on this planet, and that God made it that way. And if you say, well, you blame it on Adam and Eve, well that that that that doesn't fully answer it for me. Why why would God make a world where I I, all of my suffering is because of somebody else's choice.
Speaker 3: I believe that story.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether the question of literal or not is not irrelevant to not relevant to me, but I believe that story. And it's one of the genius stories of of of that ever was put put into words, and I and I am prepared to believe, even in the consequences, the pain of childbirth, the pain of bringing forth bread from the earth. But it doesn't answer all of the suffering issue, even the Adam and Eve story. Okay, and let's go to a good challenge here in Sarasota, Florida. Richard, Hello, Richard, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 5: Hi, Dennis, A pleasure to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I had just a question about a farmer. Let's say, who has a great crop and he thanks God. As I was taught to thank God for every blessing growing up, and it would just seem logical to be able to blame God for a bad crop or a devastating drop, or a child lost.
Speaker 2: There are two There are two answers to that, and that immediately come to mind. First, it depends on what you consider to be the norm. If you consider good crops to be the norm and that they just should be there for me, then you're right. But it seems to me that the miracle is not a bad crop. The miracle is that there are any good crops. That God made a world where we could feed ourselves.
Speaker 3: As a gift.
Speaker 2: So I think that that becomes the more the good crop is more exceptional than the bad crop. But your question is a good one. If we thank God for good things that happen to us, shouldn't we be angry at God or curse God or whatever is the opposite of thank for the bad things that happen? Is that what you're asking?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Actually, I have no problem with people who get angry with God. I think that you ought to. I mean, if God is your father in heaven, do you ever get did you ever get angry at your own father?
Speaker 3: Is it not allowed? Now?
Speaker 2: It has to be within bounds of respect and honor and so on. But yes, you can express anger at God. You have a real relationship with God. How could it just just be on one unidimensional way back in a moment. I'm Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Dennis Prager. Here the Ultimate Issues Hour. It is the hour each week on some great issue of life. Doesn't get greater than this. I don't mean great in the sense of fun, greater in the sense of importance, and that is reconciling God, the existence of, or belief in a good God, with all the unjust suffering in the world. I have dealt with this my whole life. Anybody who thinks and believes has to deal with it. In the final analysis, just to recap very quickly and then go to more of your calls. There are two forms of unjust suffering, evil caused by humans and tragedy caused by nature. The nature one really raises more issues vis a vis the existence of a good God, then does human evil. But the human evil one does too. Is the amount of it is staggering amount of it that people have engaged in. You wonder did God know how bad people would be? And you know there are questions.
Speaker 3: You see.
Speaker 2: I have never found asking questions about God to be deleterious to my faith. It's never occurred to me. It's like asking questions about my parents. Never quite affected my belief that they exist. Of course God exists, the questions that become about his nature and so on, But that the idea that everything came about by itself is so absurd to me. It is so absurd that it doesn't dawn on me that there is no God. It dawns on me that there are real questions to be asked, and I have to figure out answers when possible. But it's all one colossal, a bad joke. I don't find that terribly intellectually persuasive.
Speaker 3: Never did.
Speaker 2: But I know that for some the issue of God is a very difficult one, and they may not have been as lucky as I in making peace with God's existence. I know very wonderful people who just find it almost impossible or impossible to believe in God. I think that, and I feel for them because it's it's a richer life, much richer life, to believe that there is a good God who governs the universe. Not to mention comforting in the deepest sense, but I have no problem asking these questions, and for some there are no answers, and I guess I should repeat at every break the great Milton Steinberg, Rabbi Milton Steinberg quote for the believer in the believer in God has to account. And I always pats a paraphrase, but this is basically what he said. The believer in God has to account for the existence of one thing, evil and suffering. The atheist has to account for the existence of everything else. Please, please do remember that. Okay one eight Prager seven seven six, and let's go to Litchfield Park, Arizona and Aaron.
Speaker 3: Hello, Aaron Dennis.
Speaker 6: Prager, mister Prager, good day to you. How are you? Thank you, wonderful, great honor to speak with you. I kind of view it as you know, we are God's children. Obviously, I mean I love my children enough to let them learn by their own suffering one way or another. I know it's a pretty simplistic view, but at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there is suffering you can't learn from. What if you're brain damaged by a drunk driver.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm not talking about so much of this life, but I mean, what's eternity compared to a lifetime of suffering? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So your answer to the problem of injustice in this world is the is the next world? So it's by the way, it's mine as well.
Speaker 3: I did a I did, wasn't it. Yeah? I did. I did.
Speaker 2: This was very recently. I had an Ultimate Issues hour on Heaven and Hell, and I said, if there was a good God, then there was then there was reward and punishment after we die. It's axiomatic because there was so little reward and punishment rightfully done in this world. I'm with you, Aaron, I agree entirely. Thank you very much, Denver, Colorado, Eric, Hello, Eric, Dennis Praeger, Hi, Dennis.
Speaker 7: I think cell phones may prove that there's a god.
Speaker 2: Cell phones may prove there as a god.
Speaker 6: And how how is that away from you?
Speaker 7: And then getting to talk to one of my favorite mentors.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's very sweet.
Speaker 7: Well, I had more of the subject.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: The classical philosophical view I've been taught was rephrase, rephrase the question a little different. Because God is all good and because he's all powerful, then we are already living in the best of all worlds. That that's the macroview I learned from from you. Of my ProView, I think is my world just where. I mean. I've had things very tough.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: I had a million dollar staate stoled by my ex wife. She beats my kids with a whip and lectric cord, and it's been enormously tough. She's now trying to get me thrown in jail. And through all that difficulty, I've learned a ton.
Speaker 3: You've learned what I've learned a ton.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: I've learned more about myself. I've become maybe a person.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, there are yes you have.
Speaker 2: But I'll comment on this learning from suffering when we come back the Ultimate Issues hour on the Dennis Praeger Show. Amazing to me that I haven't addressed this on the Ultimate Issues Hour, and that is the issue of unjust suffering and evil and reconciling those with belief in a good God. It's called the odyssey. It's the problem of in a nutshell, the problem with evil? How do you believe in God? The Last Call, excellent one and I thank you again was a fair kind com It was about learning from suffering. Many many people do, in fact bring that up as one way of answering the problem, and that there's a lot of truth to it. I would say to you that all the suffering of my life has been an educational experience. I have learned an immense amount from that suffering. And sometimes you meet people and you feel that they really haven't suffered, although it's pretty rare, and they don't seem to be terribly a compassionate or if not even compassion I should say empathetic. They may well have compassion for people who suffer, but or not a lot of wisdom, or not a lot of maturity. I mean suffering. Suffering has its role, there's no question. But there is a form of suffering that there's nothing you can't learn. There's nothing to be learned from. As I said, you're rendered brain damaged by a drunk driver. What is it you're going to learn? You can't even learn your brain damaged. I mean, so it's not we who believe in God can't give facile answers. I believe atheists give facile answers. Well, we don't know how it all came about, but science will tell us one day. Everything came about on its own. How do I know? I don't know, but I assume it. That's facial to me. Now, the agnostic, the one who's look, there are arguments on all so that that's a separate issue. But the atheist, I don't like facile atheist answers. I don't like facile theist answers. We who believe in God have to be intellectually honest. Make a lot more believers in God when we're intellectually honest, and if we give cliched responses. But having said all that, I do not believe that suffering says there is no God. See it might to those of you who believe that God will protect you, alan we should put that down as one of these ultimate issues, that will you be protected if you do the right the right religious things, or believe the right religious things. I've never in my life believed that because I'm religious or because I'm good to the extent that I'm a good person, whichever one or both, that I will be protected from cancer or I will be protected from a drunk driver.
Speaker 3: I'd never believe that.
Speaker 2: It's it's not the way God works. It's it's like a deal with God. You don't make deals with God. As Harold Kushner, the author of When Bad Things Happen To Good People, put it to me very well, and one of the many dialogues we have had, and and said, you know, if a if a righteous man goes out in a very in very cold weather without without a code, he's just as likely to get pneumonia as the as an unrighteous man who goes out without a code on. That's that's the way it works. That's the way of the world. All alrighty, and let's go to Charles in Los Angeles. Charles Dennis Prager, thanks for calling.
Speaker 8: Oh Dennis, thank you. An example of unjust suffering is that you're only on the radio three hours a day.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, at a given point, it would be unjust suffering for me.
Speaker 8: Well, now, you mentioned earlier your first segment of the show about how you attribute evil acts to men. In the example of the Iraqi family getting blown up, but then you're also arguing that good goodness, the goods in the world, and the good acts that men do to to others, to humanity, is attributable to God.
Speaker 2: So how do we reconcile that there was there was a breakup?
Speaker 3: Are you on a cell phone?
Speaker 6: I am?
Speaker 2: That's okay, there was a couple of there were a few words. How do we reconcile the evil done by men with what?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 8: With you attributed the blowing up?
Speaker 2: The Oh? I see the okay? So when will I blame men when nature does evil? I don't blame God? Yes, I see, well, I do?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 2: I said earlier there was there was an analogous question post to me, and I absolutely do. God, you created a world where where there where there will be a metastasized cells called cancer. You created a world with tsunamis, you created a world with earthquakes, with with the with the ability to have the terrible plagues and the flu that will kill twenty five million people at a time. And yes, absolutely, and but so so why does that negate God's existence? That's why I have such a firm belief to say, you know, God, I really think you made a big booboo here, to which I then answer, Dennis, you're an idiot. You're telling God that he made a mistake. What the hell do you, Dennis know compared to God. That's why I use the answer Charles about job where God says coming you don't know anything compared to me, But yes I do. I absolutely attribute that stuff to God.
Speaker 3: Charles, you with me, Yes, I'm here.
Speaker 8: So really, what we have are two subsets of good as well as two subsets of evil. Those acts that are attributable to man and those acts that are attributable to God.
Speaker 6: Yeah, would you break.
Speaker 3: It down and that Yeah, that's fine, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 8: Okay, So then what we have in fact is the unjust or just suffering where there's the obvious cause and effect. To me, is suffering that is caused by mankind towards one another, the unjust suffering.
Speaker 3: No, that's unjust too.
Speaker 8: Well, if you do something evil to someone else and.
Speaker 2: There's a direction, Oh yeah, you're right, Yes, there's just you're right, I got you. There's for a subsets. Yes, there's just suffering and unjust suffering caused by man. There's just suffering and unjust suffering caused by God. Fine, that's exactly right. But I need you all to hear I'm not scared of blaming God. I'm not scared of getting angry at God nothing. I have a full, full relationship in that sense. God has not asked me to abandon my heart or my brain when coming to Him. And that's one of the reasons that I can make a persuasive case for God because I'm not afraid of any questions. I've already posed them, and I continue to do so and I get annoyed with Him.
Speaker 3: We'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show. I've been talking to you on this Ultimate Issues hour, which is every week at this time, about the great and vexing issue of reconciling God, or belief in God, with all the evil and suffering in the world.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 2: Have been able to do so. Now there may be a test of such suffering that it would break my faith. I can't know. I can't know, but I have deep empathy for suffering to begin with, and I have had my own and loved ones have had worse than I.
Speaker 3: It has not.
Speaker 2: I believe a good God governs this universe, and I cannot fully reconcile all this bad stuff with him. I acknowledge that. So what what is my choice? My choice is to believe everything is a coincidence. My choice is to believe it all came about on its own. Intelligence comes comes from from rocks. I'm able to talk to your minds and your hearts and your souls through through the magic of radio and all of this just it just is. It just came about. That's more intellectually satisfying. There's no comparison. And in the final analysis, although my theology is different than his, he has had a big effect on me. Harold Kushner in his book When Bad Things Happen to Good People. God doesn't stop the bad, but God is there when it happens.
Speaker 3: I love that. I love that.
Speaker 2: It's very very powerful. Yes, God allows these bad things to happen, but He is there when they happen for you to reach out to and to bring into your life. My very God centered life. I may be maybe personal for a moment, but at the same time I never abandoned reason and I believe, I truly believe that there is more reason in a god based understanding of the universe than in an atheist based understanding of the universe. It is our task to reach out to those who suffer, to help them, to make this world a place where it is obvious that there is a good God. I wish I could take all your calls. Beth Sally Scott, Jane Kendall. Kendall's son died from chronic illness and prompted him to be more compassionate, create support groups. God bless you Kendall and the memory of your son. Those of you who find these topics compelling, please please know that I have many CDs on God's existence, on the meaning of life, and so on two five eighty five eighty four eight hundred two two five eight five eighty four or Dennisprager dot com or Prager Radio dot com.
Speaker 3: I hope this will help you. Thank you for.
Speaker 1: Listening tomorrow on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: I would like to make and I will indeed make the case for marriage for men. So this should interest the two groups out there, men and women. The case for marriage for men, because a lot of men argue, what do I need this for? One of the ways they do it, and this is going to be one of my arguments for guys to get married, is it makes you a man?
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Pragger. This has been Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, core is in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, M