Speaker 1: Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com. On today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: You know that old joke about the three stages of human life, youth, middle age, and you're looking great. And by the way, ever since I heard that joke, isn't it a great one? I mean, even the young whipper snappers are laughing, and it is such a good line that I tried to consciously not say to a person beyond middle age, you're looking great. But then I think, well, wait a minute, they don't know the joke, so I can.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager, and it starts right now.
Speaker 2: I like two sexes.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think all of a sudden, I don't like being married to one is known as a new woman.
Speaker 2: I want a wife, not a competitor.
Speaker 1: Competator, competitor talk about a bit, this crying in the morning thing. It's depression, you know, let's get that fixed.
Speaker 3: That's what men think, isn't it what unless you've got the answer, unless you can say, oh no, this bloke in the Essex roodical fix that, and there's no point bothering. How do you write women so well?
Speaker 1: I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability.
Speaker 3: I love him, I love him, and I don't care what you think.
Speaker 4: I love him for the for the man he wants to be, and I love him for the man that he almost is. What do people have rows about him?
Speaker 2: Money? It's sex sex, money he wants, she doesn't want.
Speaker 1: She wants, he doesn't want.
Speaker 2: Women.
Speaker 1: I've always been a big problem to me.
Speaker 2: Doctor fuspender.
Speaker 1: Listening, doctor, Yes, yes, yes, go on gone.
Speaker 2: I live for that. I live for that. Doctor. Hello everybody, missus Dennis Prager. The Male Female Hour an hour each week devoted to issues of men and women and between men and women. It is very adult, It is very real and hopefully indeed very helpful. And you can't be helpful if you're not real, So the two go together. Hi, welcome, and the subject today is again a difficult one. I will be my usual transparent here. Of all fifteen hours of my show each week, by and large, the Male Female Hour is the hardest hour in terms of sheer effort because the subject matter is so sensitive to at least half the audience that I have to choose every word very carefully. I admit it. I admit, I mean try to choose my words carefully every hour of my program. I take this as a as a gift to this microphone, but especially this hour. And here is one more example of where I should get overtime pay, not because it's more than the usual time, but because of the care with which I will deliberately choose each word. I'm laughing because of this introduction I'm giving the topic, and the topic is the women changing their natural look for their husband or indeed to have a better social life if they're single. And it goes from I mean the most obvious is make up. Make Up changes your natural look, and there are women who don't wear makeup. It is I will admit that when I meet them and they're married. If they're not married, I have nothing to say. But if they are married, I will admit I feel some sympathy for the husband, unless he is of the same mind, in which case God bless them both and may they live many many years together in happiness. And I mean it from the bottom of my heart, but for most men it's probably not appreciated. It's very hard to say anything to one's wife about her looks. Most men, I think, would rather enter a combat zone than say anything to their wife about their looks her looks. It's a very, very difficult area because of the issue of looks and women and how important it is. Unfairly, I admit, but it is. The issue is not whether it is fair. The issue is whether it is true. And that is the way God made the human universe, and you have if you have an issue with it, it's not with me. The power of looks in women it is. The issue is with God, or if you don't believe in God, with nature and or evolution. But in any event, your issue is not with me. I am the deliverer of facts here in this case, not the creator of them. Now, so makeup is the most obvious example of where a woman is changing her natural looks, and the number of areas in which this is done routinely and then semi routinely is very large. Another example, of course, is the vast number of women who will keep their original hair color as they get older. You see what is the ratio of seeing gray haired men or white haired men to white haired or gray haired or silver haired women. The ratio must be I don't know, fifty to one. And is it unfair? I mean, should should men? You know, in the name of equality? Should men dye their hair too? Or women not? The issue is not equality, The issue is what works. In fact, men who do treat their hair with coloring are often regarded with a little contempt to be perfectly honest. Oh, you know the guy just you know, yeah, he won't he won't grow old gracefully or whatever it is. Or he's you know, he's trying to act like he's still thirty eight. But nobody says that about a woman. They say, more power to her. She looks terrific. Anyway, you know that old joke about the three stages of human life, youth, middle age, and you're looking great. And by the way, ever since I heard that joke, isn't it a great one? I mean, even the young whipper snappers are laughing, And it is such a good line that I try to consciously not say to a person beyond middle age, you're looking great. But then I think, well, wait a minute, they don't know the joke, so I can. And by the way, to be honest, women are looking great at older and older ages, and that's terrific. It's it's a blessing for her, it's a blessing for her husband. And I am I am a big proponent of it. I mean, why not. I remember when I went to the Soviet Union, where Communist countries, women and men, but especially women a far more readily. I mean, a forty year old woman in the Soviet Union looked like a seventy or sixty year old woman in the United States or France, and so you know, that was a natural look there. But in more affluent societies in the West now, and not just the West, women are looking better and better, getting older and older. I think that's magnificent. People are getting are living older. Why not? So anyway, the subject again is women not looking as they are naturally. So makeup is the most obvious example dying here Now, most people have no problem with makeup or dying of the hair, and talking about women here, I think most people do have problems with men in makeup and men dyeing their hair, and I am among them. I would have some problem with that too, But what about and what about a facelift? In other words, what about when you're getting into And here's where feminist feminists do not generally rail against dyeing of the hair. I don't think or against makeup. But once you go beyond that to surgery, for example, then you have a very large body of feminist literature. Oh look at the risks women will take just for their looks. And you know, so women will have a facelift, for example, or any form of cosmetic surgery or a nose job, as they do. They still call it those jobs. Is that the term still used? I don't know. That's the way, that's the way it was used, I guess. Now reconstruction, what is it? Nasal reconstruction? Oh, give me a break. I never heard anybody getting nasal reconstruction unless they have a deviated septum. Young whipper snappers, what do you guys? Anyway? That's uh so, that's an area I will discuss with you. And then, of course breast implants, which have become to use the Latin de rigueur almost expected now and I have I have a number of thoughts on both of these. Let's begin with Oh, yes. And the other one, which is also uh, not looking your natural self, is you know, putting on something sexy in the bedroom with your with your husband. And I have heard over the course of time from women, because both both sexes happily have do open up to me as as you well should. I'm pretty open and and happily take the your openness. But I have heard and some young women, some different different age women, will say, you know what, if he loves me, he will love me from my heart and my mind. You know, not for not for my not for my plastic surgery, not for my cosmetic surgery, not for my breast implant, not for wearing sexy clothing. You know, if you know God, God made the woman's body enticing on its own, why why wear you know, negligee or whatever it's called, tibet or or in the in the bedroom. I will deal with all of these and take your calls when we come back A one eighth Prager seven seven six. All of these tend to be much less frightening when when dispassionately discussed.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: Okay, everybody, you're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, and the subject is a very It is, of course, the Male Female Hour every what is it? Second hour Wednesday is devoted to very real discussions about men and women. And I'm discussing one that for many women is a non issue, absolutely, but for a fair number of women is an issue. And that is it's one thing to acknowledge the importance of looking attractive to your husband. But please, you know, okay, make up. I can live with even dyeing my hair, But you know what about what about going under the knife? Which is what cosmetic surgery is about a facelift? You know, something on the nose, breast, implants, et cetera. Why you know, why can't he love me for who I am? Why do I have to do this? And it is I understand the question, and I but the reality is that it matters. We are not disembodied creatures. In the afterlife, we will be perhaps only souls, but on Earth were physical beings, and the physical matters. I wish it didn't. I wish it didn't, do you know? I remember I'd be very open with you as I as I am regularly. I have a very rarely I mean, and it's probably true for most men. Most men don't cry very often, and I have. I remember one of the only times I think post the age of twelve that I cried was when and I've never told this actually maybe even new to you Allan I was about twenty or my early twenties, and there was a woman that I loved deeply. Well, let's put it this way. I thought was a total kindred spirit, which is hard to find in life. But I just wasn't attracted to her. And I remember crying for her and for me that something so not in front of her I didn't but privately, but that something so quote unquote trivial could prevent two people from from bonding. But what are you going to do? Life? Life is doing what we can with reality, not denying reality. So the woman who says he should love me just for my heart and mind is denying reality, just as just as it would be to deny reality to say that the heart and mind don't matter, that that only looks matter. A man who marries only for looks is doomed for misery, utter misery. He's an idiot. Just to put it. To put it bluntly, I mean, they're a married women who marry just for money, they probably have a better chance. I would think it's some happiness than a man who married only for looks. That's how And I certainly don't advocate marrying only for money. And I'll have more to say about the uh, about the facelifts and so on, but I want to take your your calls. Let's go to Denver, Colorado and Cindy. Hi, Cindy, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 3: Hi, Dennis, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you called.
Speaker 3: I wanted to say that my issue as a woman with plastic surgery is actually kind of the same issue that I have with pornography, and that it sort of alters the perception of what is real. And so when you start talking about having women as a age altering their bodies so that when you're forty or fifty, you're looking like you're twenty five or thirty, then it sort of becomes this new standard of what beauty is. Versus accepting what is beautiful for a forty year old or a fifty year old. You're trying to say that here's this box of what's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Why are you okay? If you're okay with makeup? Why are you okay? Since that alters a woman's looks?
Speaker 3: Well, I think because it is so invasive and because.
Speaker 2: It wait wait wait wait wait wait, hold on your objection, and you know me, I'm not going to argue with you. I'm going to clarify if we differ, So your objection is not altering looks. It's using a knife to alter looks.
Speaker 3: It's sort of almost, in a way, mutilating a woman. And I know it's such a feminist word use, but it's mutilating a woman's body to say that you have to completely change what is naturally physically who you are versus I think the idea with makeup is sort of enhancing what you are naturally you know, well, surgery is completely altering what you are naturally.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that makeup changes your look, or can change your look, at least as dramatically. I mean, have you ever seen at the supermarket. I notice these you know people and us and these others. They will have pictures, I guess to make women feel better, which I totally understand. Of some of the most glamorous stars in Hollywood, where they paparazzi have caught them without makeup and then show them with makeup. They are almost not recognizable as the same woman. So I would argue that makeup is as dramatically a changing all all a facelift does is in fact, quite the contrary. It is restored the way you looked earlier.
Speaker 3: But that's what I'm saying is you're restoring a woman who is beautiful at as a fifty year old.
Speaker 2: Look, yeah, but she's not as But she's not as beautiful at fifty as she was at thirty in most cases. I mean, it's just a fact. But you so why shouldn't Why shouldn't she? Why shouldn't she? What if you could take a pill? It's not invasive. You take a pill and some of the sagging on the face just goes away. Would you be against the pill?
Speaker 3: I just feel like changing the standard of beauty at a certain age to say that it has to compare to the beauty at you know that a woman who's forty.
Speaker 1: Has to do well?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, well, yes, but I would argue, I think it's almost less compassionate to have your view. Let's compassionate to women. Let us say that there is a fifty year old woman and a thirty five year old woman, and they both want this fifty year old man who has a better chance, all things being equal, who has a better chance perhaps the thirty five year old based on looks alone. Why should we give that advantage that woman who has developed her brain and her mind and her and her abilities, Why should she seed that advantage if she can do something about it?
Speaker 3: But all other things aren't equal. When you're talking about a fifty five year old woman, you're talking about the wisdom and the life experience.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're right, it is, But he's not if he only wants wisdom.
Speaker 3: To what you're going to find in a thirty five years right. See why we can't as women, we can't own that and say that, yes, this you know because.
Speaker 2: Looks Because Cindy, with.
Speaker 3: The wisdom and the time and the life, you're right.
Speaker 2: They are a tremendous value. I am a big wisdom proponent, as you know, Cindy. However, Cindy, you're twenty seven, and I think that when you're fifty seven you might feel more like I am. I am speaking now, we'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom. We'll continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show funny about the issue of natural looks versus enhanced looks, whether it's makeup or dyeing one's hair. And I'm talking about women specifically. This is the male female of the Dennis Prager Show, second hour every Wednesday. And it's very tempting. Look, it's very tempting for anybody to say, you sound noble, you sound great. But it doesn't help anybody to say, ah, it doesn't matter, just you know, just grow old. And in some cases it works, it does absolutely. I mean, this is something for any given couple to work out on their own. But it's not common for a woman to get the truth from her husband because talking about her looks is the hardest thing a man can do. How do I look, honey? The answer is great, Men men, or at least men believe that we ought to talk about that. By the way, that would be a good subject. In other words, women can help men in this regard. What should they lie? And maybe they should, but it would be a very helpful thing to have that as a subject on you know, do I look fat in this dress? What is he supposed to say? And then we'll go, well, you know, well what about the guy? And you know, but looks in men are not as critical to women as looks in women are to men. It's just that's the way the world works. It's not fair, but there are many things not fair. It's not fair that men are far more likely to die in war. It's not fair that men commit far more suicide than women. It's not fair that men flunk out more. It's not fair that men are more on drugs. It's not fair that men are tortured far more than women are tortured. It's not fair that men have to make a living and a lot of women don't have to make a living. I mean, you can go through it. The question is not what's fair, as one mature, as one doesn't ask that question. One asks one asks what works, whether it's healthcare or the life of a couple. What works, not what's fair. What's fair is a theoretical, platonic question of some ideal that one constructs in one's brain. And then you know the because I read this stuff, I read the feminist arguments against this. Oh what you know, women going under the knife for the just to look younger. Yeah, that's true, that's true. And by the way, can one have too much plastic surgery? Of course one can have too much. One can have too much vitamins. One can have too much of anything on earth. The question is is any too much? Not as too much? Too much? Of course? Too much? Is too much? Is any too much? That's the question. Let's go to Birmingham, Michigan. I know Birmingham. Hello, Cassie, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 4: Hi Dennis. I am thrilled to be talking to you and looking to you all the time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I had a face lift about a month ago. I am fifty eight years old, and I didn't do it for my husband. I did it for myself. I am a firm believer that how you feel about yourself, which obviously means how you think you look, affects every relationship you have. And if I and I do believe it says even in the Bible that you are to love yourself. And if I love myself, meaning I like the way I look, every relationship in my life is going to be better. And I can tell you that I looked at the way I was looking, at the way I was feeling, and they didn't match up. And I wanted.
Speaker 2: To look more like how you said. You didn't do it for your husband?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Was he one percent of the decision or zero?
Speaker 4: Oh? He's a he's a He supported me whatever I wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Well? Is he happy you did it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: So he said.
Speaker 4: I don't look, and I don't look. It's not like I turned back the clock.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I no, of course not, nor should one turning back the clock twenty years looks a little foolish back in a moment. That's a very important call. I thank you.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless wisdom. We'll continue right after this. No, back to more of Dennis Prager's time swizz T.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, you're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, the Male Female Hour. And it's a particularly difficult subject. It's such a sensitive issue when I am aware of that, and frankly, I have a great deal of sympathy for women on this particular issue. But the question is in sympathy as much as it is again what works. And I'm talking about this issue of women's natural looks versus enhanced looks, whether it's well the earliest stages make up. Then there's the dying of hair, and then there is a facelift, and then there is you know, something done to the nose perhaps, and then there is their breast implants, and god knows what else, and tummy tucks and so she tucks and so on. By the way, if this may come as some surprise, given that I have support for moderate use of these things, uh, the and that is I think that a lot of women today in America get breast implants and totally it's totally unnecessary. It's almost you know, keep up with the joneses in breast size. I mean, I totally understand it when gravity, birth, nursing or nature has you know, done a job on your breasts. But where a young woman who's you know, perfectly fine body just wants them super duper large, I think that that's social That is far more to be socially. I don't know, feel that she is fitting in almost than it is any any real necessity.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But this is the way of life I have not discussed, and maybe we should save that for another time, because there's another way in which a woman artificially if you will, enhances her looks. And that's with clothing and clothing in the bedroom. And you know, I've heard this too. You know, why would he ask me to put something on? Why doesn't he, you know, just love me the way I am? Which is a very fair question, but again does it's the reality is that something putting on something sexy is putting on something sexy. And if it enhances the relationship between a husband and a wife, and everything has bounds obviously, then why not do it? I mean, one needs to be bottom line oriented here, and that is what enhances our love and making love with one another, and they are related in most marriages. Okay, let's go to Monterey, California and Gina Hygiena Dennis Prager.
Speaker 5: Hi, Dennis, Hi, thank you so much for your contribution to the quality of life for all of that.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: I want this is a subject that's near and dear to my heart, and I'm so glad that you have raised it. I've always thought that it would beful. I always wanted to write a book called aging Beauty. I have always been pretty. I am fifty nine years old. I have always been pretty. Very I was beautiful as a young woman, and I think women who have had that experience throughout life have a particularly tough time letting go when they start to age. And I think there's an art to aging gracefully. I started at age thirty nine to have small procedures here and there according to what was available. But basically I studied women who were older who did seem to me to be aging gracefully, like Catherine Hepburn, and what it was made up of, it seemed to me was hair, skin and weight. And I thought, whatever I can do to enhance my hair, my skin, and my weight, you know, managing my weight. I have made significant investments in my skin, keeping my skin healthy, my hair healthy, and it has worked. I don't look twenty nine. I don't want to look twenty that's right, But I do look great for my age. There's not a day that goes by, just like when I was younger. There's not a day that goes by that somebody doesn't tell me that I look great. And I didn't want to let that go, right.
Speaker 2: Right, No, no, no, I hear you. And I like the hair, skin weight. That's a good that's a good guide. That is a good guide, and again for the woman who hesitates on let's say a facelift, and there a face lifts. I see where I wish the woman didn't have it obviously. I mean it's they're painful to observe, but when done judiciously, and I would even argue conservatively, My argument is why let nature win these battles. I just that's the question that I pose. I have never bought the idea. Well, that's natural. So what body? Odour is natural? Bad breath is natural? You know, flatulating is natural. I don't understand this. The natural argument means nothing to me. Nothing. Let's go to Houston, Texas and Roda, Hi, Roda, Hello, how are you? I'm well, thank you for calling.
Speaker 6: I've been listening to you for a while. I love your show great, But I do have issue as far as faceless versus makeup. Makeup is temporary. You can take it off you and it does not actually change a whole look unless you go dramatic because you still have wrinkles. You can see that through the makeup. You can see everything. Facebooks are so invasive and then you're also sitting.
Speaker 2: Well then, I so I asked, okay, well though, but those are tactical questions, not philosophical opposition.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: Okay, so then we have if you can't afford it, and then that ends the issue. And as for the other let us say, as I asked my first caller, if you could take a pill instead of having a knife, then then what would you.
Speaker 6: That is? It all depends on what other things the pill could do to you.
Speaker 2: I guess, all right, so your issue then, okay, fair enough, So so wrote to your issue is health, and that's a very fair question. And by the way, to the extent that one doesn't get age in these types of of cosmetic surgeries. I am always towards the conservative side, absolutely, and by the well, not by the way, just as it happens, I guess I think the earlier done, I'm told, the better. It is that you don't want to wait till a very late age to do to get it done. You do moderate things in their time back in a moment.
Speaker 1: You SEGM lie say hello?
Speaker 2: Why you Sam?
Speaker 1: I say hello? Why I say hi? You say hello? You say why I say I don't.
Speaker 2: Dennis Prager here, The Male Female Hour Male Female Hour is one of the reasons people subscribe to this program in the thousands. Seven dollars a month is all it costs, and you get every show you want. You download it, you keep it, you share it with a friend, let your husband hear it'll let your wife hear it. And it also comes with all of the articles that Alan sends to me personally prior to every show with his comments. In my opinion, that's worthwhile more than the seven dollars a month alone. But that is a rare compliment to Alan publicly made. I'm looking at Alan and he has maintained his sphinx like demeanor. All right, I've been talking about this question of well it's not natural or whatever other objection, and I have great sympathy for the objections, but not in the final analysis. I have sympathy for where they come from. Life isn't fair given the looks issue, But talking about everything from makeup to to facelifts, et cetera. I see no reason not to unless there are compelling reasons not to. Let me take another young caller here. Brian is twenty five in Philadelphia. Hello Brian Dennis Prager.
Speaker 7: Hello mister Breger, thank you for taking my phone call.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: I really enjoy your show and I'm glad that I could get on here good. I just wanted to talk about the lingerie in the bedroom.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I.
Speaker 7: Feel that that is a really great way to splice up a relationship, and I don't have any kind of problem with that, but I do have one little quarrel with it about the seems like some my older couple friends are in marriages they like to splice it up by having their wives and girlfriends dress up in like cheerleader outfits.
Speaker 2: And wait, wait, you mean privately or publicly? Yes, privately, And why would you object because of their age?
Speaker 3: No, the of the age.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me quickly react to that. The music's coming on, Brian, Brian at twenty five. The thought of people past the age of I don't know, fifty sixty, let alone seventy having spiced up sex seems so bizarre to you. Totally understandably, but thank God, you don't know what you're talking about, thank God. And what couples do in their bedrooms to enhance their marriage and the sex life of their marriage is their business, and if it works, God bless them. This is Dennis.
Speaker 1: Prager Tomorrow Untimeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: So there's no way around it. You can't ignore jew hatred. Not because it's not moral to ignore it. It's just in our self interest to worry about this hatred. The greatest in history.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prigger. This has been timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.