Speaker 1: Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, me, my friends, you're listening to the Dennis Prager Show show, where we truly talk about everything in life and one of my favorite subjects male female differences. I want to talk to you about. There's an article and I want to thank those who sent this to me. I would not have seen it otherwise. There is a study. Well, first of all, a report that just came out in New Scientists, which is a sophisticated journal, a popular but sophisticated journal about science news. And I read to you from Asian News International that has made this report from New Scientist widely available on the internet. Psychologists in Canada finally proved that men are actually irrational enough to risk entire kingdoms to catch sight of a pretty face. All right, According to a report in New Scientists dot com, biologists have long known that men like animals, and I want to I'm going to talk to you about this like animals thing because a very important little throwaway line that they did not develop here. Prefer immediate rewards to long term benefits in the future. The process is known as discounting the future. Immediately available cash is generally worth more than the same amount that would be in the future, but greater amounts of money in the future would be worth waiting for under so called rational discounting. However, some people, like drug addicts, exhibit irrational discounting when it comes to choosing a small amount of heroin today rather than a greater amount in the future. Margot Wilson and Martin Daly of McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario decided to investigate discounting behavior and see if it varied with sexual mood. This is a good study. Listen to this. Male students, when shown pictures of pretty women, were more likely to opt for short term economic gain than wait for a better reward in the future. This is a remarkable test that they did. It's almost funny to show how powerful how it takes over a man's mind just seeing a pretty woman. Both male and female students at McMaster University were shown pictures of the opposite sex of a varying attractiveness taken from the website hot or not. The two hundred and nine students were then offered the chance to win a reward, and they could either accept a check for between fifteen dollars and thirty five dollars tomorrow or one fifty to seventy five dollars at a variable point in the future. The experts found that male students shown the pictures of averagely attractive women showed exponential discounting of the future value of the reward, indicating that they had made a rational decision. Let me make that very clear in case you're missing it. When the male students were shown a picture of an averagely attractive woman and then afterwards offered do you want to check for fifteen to thirty five dollars tomorrow or fifty to seventy five at a later date, that they would note then then they would say, oh, I'll take the more money a little later. They were making a rational decision. Now, let me continue. When male students were shown picks of pretty women, they discounted the future value of the reward, indicating that they had made an irrational decision. Now critical to understanding male female difference. Women, by contrast, made equally rational decisions whether they had been shown pictures of handsome men or those of average attractiveness. Uh huh, so much again, I tell you that that of all the subjects, the one that has driven me the nuts my entire adult life. I mean, since college, has been the line that men and women are basically the same, that men are taught to see women as sexual objects by playboy and the like. But really it's a societally induced thing. It drives me nuts. Ignoramuses people truly ignorant of male and female say that, or women who say, oh, come on, I'm not attracted to an attractive man. Of course you are, of course, step but it's it's it. There's no comparison in in what it does. Also, the number of men who will turn a woman's head be a stranger stranger men in other words, a man that she doesn't know from Adam, who will just have her, you know, turn her head and and and confound her mind is tiny. Where the number of women who do that to men, ask men, I mean, it's it's it's it's legion. I mean that the number is huge. This is a very good article because it is a good study because it it once again provides scientific proof for the for the obvious. And unfortunately, people who go to college are taught not to believe wisdom, not to believe common sense, not to believe their own life, but to ask, what do studies show? Okay, so for those of you who want to know what study show, studies show that men's minds are easily confounded by the sight of a pretty woman, not to mention the rest of the female anatomy. And this is just the face that presumably when it says a pretty woman, the power of sight is uniquely male the woman. The eye doesn't do to the woman. The ear does to the woman a lot of things. How he talks, how how he smells those things, or in looks is he clean? But a picture of a good looking man. The woman is just going to continue the work that she is doing. It doesn't whatever chemical or whatever it is, reaction, it's not. It's not. It's not in the same universe one eight Praeger seven seven six one eight p R. A. G. E. R. Seven seven six. I'm going to give you more conclusions here, and you may want to react to them, because this is a very you know, if you could make a lot of fun out of this thing. You know, oh, you know, as they do in the very first sentence, which I didn't read to you, the men are going to take a double turn on this is what has been long suspected is finally established. In other words, it's it's a lot of, it's a lot of. It's not a light subject, believe it or not. It can be made into it because we don't want to acknowledge its seriousness. But the eye plays havoc with men and therefore with women. Women women sense it, sometimes know it, act on it, deny it whatever it is, but its power cannot be overstated. That is why I'll give you two other, two other factors, two other conclusions from this. That is why what women wear is of such extraordinary importance because of the impact that it has on men. Now, I'm not saying we can't pass laws, and we shouldn't pass laws, and God knows, I think that the veil and the chador, these are dehumanizing things for women. But let us I'm not even taking a position. Well, I have a position, as many of you know. I think that that a sober understanding of the effect of how I, as a woman appear to men is critical. We need to soberly consider what will I want to show. But there is also another factor, and that is I'll never forget. I was listening once to a talk show host. A woman had called in said that she had found out that her husband was looking at sexy images on the computer, and the talk show host said, your husband is sick and needs help. Now, folks, there are religious reasons, there are a whole host of reasons not to involve oneself in those images. But it is not sick men look because that is the way we are programmed, and the power of it is not is not understandable by the female. You can't any more than than a male can understand. I don't know how many things go on in a woman's mind at one time. I don't think we can. It's it's not available to us because we are basically uh una attentive. One thing at a time is what we attend to. But the power of the eye that that a man. I mean, this is an unbelievable study, an unbelievably important study. Guys will make irrational decision financially just because they saw a pretty face. It wasn't even to get the woman. It was they've already got confounded in their thinking just by the look. Do you agree? Do you have any issue with what I am saying or this study? Do you the power of the eye in men? You as a woman? Does it bother you? Do you act on it? Do you understand it? Does this trouble you? Do you disagree? Do you think women have it the same way? One eighth Prager seven seven six. One eighth p R A g e r seven seven six. A gay man in Honolulu on the line, and I know what he's gonna say, and I'm gonna let him say it because it will prove my point even further. One eighth Praguer seven seven six. The Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Dennis Prager here, I love it. Take five one of the great jazz things, one of the great gifts to my life in the last five years. Appreciation of a lot of jazz, happy, optimistic, free music. Just a lot of it. I mean a lot of it's junk. A lot of every music is drunk. A lot of classical is junk. And that's my background. So you know that's the way it goes. One eighth Prager seven seven six. This study that came out of a Canadian university is a good one. Showed guys and girls at the university, men and women. They showed them attractive, very attractive, and you know, average looking members of the opposite sex, and then tested their rationality on a very simple question that would determine how reasonable they were. The men lost a lot of their rationality after seeing pictures of pretty women, and the women were completely unaffected by seeing pictures of attractive men. And an attractiveness was taken off a website that judges attractiveness of people, the power of the male eye, the female power, but not just female. And the proof that this isn't societal, but this is innate comes from a call that I am about to take from Tim in Honolulu on k h n R. Tim Dennis Prager, thank you for calling.
Speaker 3: Hi, Hi, Hey, I love Take five.
Speaker 2: Also, how can you not you just need ears?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just wanted to confirm what you said because I'm a gay man and my head is turned when I see an attractive guy, and I think it is innate exactly.
Speaker 2: Gay men are the proof that I always offer for male female differences that there is only one difference between you and me, is sexually speaking, only one the object of our attention of ours, that which attracts us is a different sex. But in every other way, the gay man and the straight man are sexually the same. That is why. By the way, and I don't say this, This is not a negative comment, It is just a comment. It is far harder I have to believe for gay men to stay faithful to one another than for a straight man and straight woman.
Speaker 3: Well, that's an ethical thing. I think that's individual.
Speaker 2: It's always individual. But I'm saying it's harder because the male drive for variety, which you the gay man, and I the straight man have. But I am curbed by the fact that I am married to a female, whereas you are. You would be bonded to the extent that you would be to a man who has the same drive for variety.
Speaker 3: That's true, that's true, But it's also a good argument for legalizing marriage to give the.
Speaker 2: Well that yeah, that's Andrew Sullivan's argument. We debated that, and I'm in his look in fact my essay, I I don't it is a good argument if the only purpose of marriage is to is to stop promiscuity. But but it is not a good argument if if part of the reason for marriage is to is to sanctify male female relations. But I don't want to get into that because your call is extremely valuable for what it says. People need to understand the male, the gay male looks at men the way the straight male looks at women. I mean, I see you know, I I see, I see your your journals. I have absolutely often perused them, and it is the men. The pictures of the men are sex objects. That's why women can't say that men. They say that all all, all, you know, sex photos of women. This is misogyny. It is no more anti female those pictures of women than it is anti male the pictures you like of men.
Speaker 3: That's right, it can't be degrading. But I also I also know a lot of women whose heads turned a lot faster than we might think. And maybe women are just less willing to admit it now.
Speaker 2: But this test was not about head turning. This test was the effects of seeing a particularly attractive member of the other sex on straight men and straight women, and the men's rationality ability declined, the women's were unaffected. So the fact that a woman's head will turn, and also it will turn because the male the what attracts or how he walks, how he dresses. I mean, it is a very complex constellation of factors. Whereas for the man a picture is sufficient, whereas for a woman a picture is not sufficient.
Speaker 3: Totally agree.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you for your call to him. I appreciate it that. I'll tell you anybody who ever argues with you about well, these generalizations about male sexual nature, and they're just generalizations. And a lot of women are like that. And and anyway, if men are like that, it was because it's a sexist society that portrays women as sex objects. How do you explain them? Gay men? The way they look at men, which is identical? Identical? Alrighty one eighth Prager seven seven six. Now let's go to Cindy in Peoria, Arizona on KKNT. Hello Cindy, Dennis Prager, Hello.
Speaker 4: Hi, this is such an interesting topic. I finally realized how visually motivated men were about three years ago. And I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Wait, and how old are you? I'm thirty four, Okay, So it took till thirty one.
Speaker 4: Isn't that disgusting.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a lot of comments on that, and I'll make them afterwards. How did it happen at thirty one?
Speaker 4: Well, I'll tell you. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that I was taking my faith more seriously. And now this sounds crazy about reading the Bible and intensively and realize that God has a lot to say about women and men and how women dressed and I and just you know the story like David and Bathsheba, things like that. And I guess I took I gave God more credit than I gave the other people in my life.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll put it in a slightly different way. I absolutely believe that secular women are far more naive about male nature than religious women are. Yes, I would bet, I would bet everything on it that secular women understand men less than religious women do.
Speaker 4: Yes, in my experience, that is very much the case. And I see that in my family that the women in my family who do not have any religious conviction, they dress no, no, I'm not listening, so I can say they dress like horse. And the women in my family who love God, they rest in a way that shows that they also love men and respect their temptations.
Speaker 2: Right, And it is because they are more willing to acknowledge the effect of how they dress on men very much. That's right, That's what I mean. They know men better.
Speaker 4: And you know, I'll tell you this whole revelation has affected me in two very profound ways, and the first one is simply, my relationships with men are so much better now. I dress modestly and I can have such wonderful conversations with men and they're not just struggled.
Speaker 2: I would ask a woman to do the following test. Obviously, you know, a woman would from from basically attractive to very attractive. Would I would ask her to do a test, and that is at work or anywhere else, to dress provocatively, and then to dress modestly. And by modestly, I don't mean to the ankles, and I don't mean to the risks, and I don't mean to the neck, and I don't mean in a bag form fitting. Let the world know you're a woman and be proud of that. That's not an issue. But I would ask a woman to dress both ways and see how the world reacts to her under the same conditions, where only her clothing has changed. Thank you, Cindy. It's an extremely important call. You've got to tell your daughters this. I will tell you why girls don't understand this. This has been my puzzle in life, and I have an answer. One eighth Prager seven seven six. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: All right, my friends, this is the Dennis Prager Show. It's one of those things that is so important people don't like to acknowledge it. It is the power of the male eye, and it is it is incomparably more affected than the female eye. The female is affected through far more senses, and the male eye is. It is again, incomparably more powerful in its effect on the male than the female eye is on the female. This this study, That's why I'm reporting to because you know, I'm always uh. My view of most studies is either they're wrong or they confirm what we already knew. This confirms what we already knew, but it confirms it in a way that is so powerful that I thought i'd bring it to your attention. It's reported in The New Scientists. They showed men and women in college pictures are pretty pretty members of the opposite sex is judged on the internet as such, and the if, the if, the male. The males, as the pictures got prettier, made more and more irrational decisions on a very simple monetary matter, whereas the women were completely unaffected in the irrational capacity. Now, women's reason is profoundly affected by when she is in love, when she is emotionally caught up, or whatever it is in a man for other reasons. But we're talking now just about the power of looks. Here we have a thirty four year old woman just called and said she didn't realize this till thirty one, and she felt funny about it. And there are a lot of women who don't realize it at any age. And certainly girls don't understand this. There's no way they could. We understand the world through our own experience. But if you don't experience it that way, I mean, do the boys' legs at high school have the same effect on a girl in high school that girl's legs have on boys? Of course not. The idea is preposterous. Oh my my god. I gotta have him. I saw his legs. I mean, the idea is idiotic. There is no comparable issue of power between the male and the female when I talk about male sexual nature, and I do a great deal, and is important, so important for women to understand this and to understand that their husband is not is not sick if he sees, if he's attracted to billboards and to pictures and so on. The issue of whether one should keep looking is a religious issue, is a psychological issue that's separate, but it is not abnormal. Don't call a man sick who's not sick. And I and I have I have a great piece of advice. For example, for the guy who on a date can't stop looking around, I tell him you should sit in the restaurant and face the wall. Very simple. You have a just if you can't stop it, because there are guys who do it when they're out with guys. Forget that. When I have been at lunches with guys and I can't talk to him, I call him radar run where the you know the the He's like a radar tower, just moving from side to side. All right, let's go to uh. By the way, do you agree. I made a very bold statement that I believe that in general, religious women understand men better than secular women do. I have said frequently that my grandmother, who never went to school ever had no schooling, understood men better than the average woman who gets a PhD in sociology, and not just sociology, maybe even psychology. That is how That is a good example, by the way of why I think that there was so little wisdom at the universities. This is a classic example. You have all that studying and you won't even acknowledge this basic difference between between men and women. I Pepper Pike, Ohio and Dan Dan on WCCD.
Speaker 5: High Hie Dennis, thanks for taking a call.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: Wanted to note I wanted to make notice something. I happened to work a lot with the some Orthodox Jews and they noticed that one day that some of them have strings hanging out off the corners of their of their pants. That's correct, and I asked them about what the why why is it? And they said one of the reasons why is because there's a biblical command not to run after your eyes, that you should see the strings and to remember that is exactly right, and not to chase after your eyes. But it's interesting to note that Jewish women do not have the command. But you're very that's right, you're very like you're saying that's.
Speaker 2: Right because women, women's eyes get them in trouble with more with objects than they do with men. Exactly, she will see a jewelry, she will see a home, and she will really or clothing and then she, uh, you know, may make compromise your values in order to get that right.
Speaker 5: But it all biblically based.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the whole point. See, you're raised, many of you were raised at secular college in high school to think that the religious folks are out of it. Some are, there's no question, But in this society it's more the secular folks who are out of it. We'll be back in a moment, all right, everybody talking about the power of the eye in men. This is a study that I reported to you, and we'll try to put alan. We'll try to put this up at the website there. It's it's a fascinating study. It's originally reported in New Scientists dot com. It comes from McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario. The men acting irrationally after just seeing pictures of pretty women. The women and the watch seeing pictures of attractive men having no effect on their rationality whatsoever. Let's go to some of those who disagree or at least have different takes. Some don't anyway, we'll go to all types. Got good calls here. Let's go to JT in the Phoenix on KKNT Hi.
Speaker 6: JT, Hey, Dennis, Hi say, I just think it's an interesting observation, simply that. And I don't know if this is supported biblically at all. But I have, in all the job interviews I've had in different jobs throughout my life, then offered jobs based on phone interviews by women twice, but never by a man. It was I always had to be seen. They all had to be a face to face, meaning an interview process in that.
Speaker 2: Situation, whereas the men were hired on the phone. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 6: No, I'm sorry. I have in all my years of interviewing, I have on two occasions been hired based on a phone interview by a woman.
Speaker 2: But oh, I see, I see, Okay, Yeah that's interesting, Yeah, that is interesting.
Speaker 6: I've been hired by a man without a face to face interview.
Speaker 2: Never but twice by a woman.
Speaker 3: But twice.
Speaker 2: Well that that is interesting, because I I it is absolutely I think it's a good example of a difference. But I think it's ought to hire anybody without seeing them, to be perfectly.
Speaker 6: Honest, and yet two women have done it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and I believe you. But the question is with the men who It would be interesting. Would the men who insisted on seeing you also equally insist on seeing a man before they hired him see? That would be an interesting question. You know, maybe the visual even in that case is important to men. But anyway, but it's a very good it's a good example. I think it's a fair one. Thank you very much for that call. Let's go to Leslian Manhattan Beach, California on KRLA. Hello Leslie Dennis Prager.
Speaker 7: Hi, Dennis. I was prompted to call because your conversation with the woman in her thirties. First of all, I wanted to say it took her till she was in her thirties. I found out that men were visually affected when I was thirteen and used to walk to school in my Catholic schoolgirls outfit, and no just that grown men would stop in traffic. So why it took her that long to realize how men were visually affected. I don't really understand.
Speaker 2: Well, well, it's interesting that you went you went to Catholic school. Well you went to Catholic school.
Speaker 7: I went to Catholic.
Speaker 2: Well that may but I believe that in in traditional religious places, they teach about the concept of modesty and the effect of clothing on men more readily than at other places, and that that may have been you may have had already a thought process that enabled you to understand why they were stopping. I want to tell you something. I ran an institute for college age kids for seven years. They would spend the summers there in warm southern California, and they could dress any way they wanted. And I remember a conversation with an intelligent a girl of nineteen or twenty who dressed very provocatively and had something to provoke with. And when we had our one on one meeting, I asked her, how's your summer going? And she opened up to me because they knew they could, and she said, well, you know, I really feel the men don't relate to me. Is real. I think they relate to me as a sex object. And I said to her, do you think there might be any reason for that? And she said, I can't think of any and I you know I want I wanted to throw my chair at her.
Speaker 7: Well, I got to tell you something. I got to disagree because the reason I called is because I feel what I want to say is when you when a woman puts on a victorious secret push up bra, you you act as if what what what you're saying? What I infer from what you're saying is she has no idea?
Speaker 2: What oll no? No? When a woman does that, You're right, obviously, But I want to tell you something right now. I tell you half the women in this country are likely to say that they they dress a certain way, or they have a a an enhanced breast operation or what have you for, and has nothing to do with how they will look to men.
Speaker 7: Dennis, What we say and what we really mean are two different things. No woman is going to come on the radio and tell you the truth.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 7: Why should she?
Speaker 2: Why should wait? Wait? Why shouldn't she?
Speaker 7: Women have bad natures, Just like I could.
Speaker 2: Agree with you, I both.
Speaker 7: Sexist, and what our nature says is that's the man I want him. I don't care what I have to do together.
Speaker 2: I agree with you entirely, I do. But I'm telling you that there was a tremendous amount of self denial on the conscious level. There is, you know, I just the whole feminist the whole feminist thing is men, we dress the way we want. You have nothing to say about it. We dressed the way we want for our own reasons, and you know, if it bothers you, that's your problem.
Speaker 7: But Dennis, I never met a hardcore feminist woman who wore a push up bra in short short.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they but women don't wear push up bras is general outdoors as much as they will as lingerie for their for their man. I mean, let's be honest. I mean the push up bra you're taking an extreme example just in the normally provocative clothing that is worn today by young women. If you interviewed the women and you and you gave them truth serum, and you ask them why are you wearing this? And I bet you, on a conscious level, half of it would be they just want to look attractive. And they say, well, do you want to sexually excite men? No, that's not it.
Speaker 7: Well, Dennis, they may not answer yes to I want to sexually excite men. But if you ask a fourteen year old girl when you were hip huggers like that to the boys pay attention to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do, Yes, pay attention. Yes, that's right, pay attention. But its effect on the mail is not something that most girls. I would say ninety percent of girls do not understand by the way they can't. I don't blame them. I blame pair terrans for not teaching them.
Speaker 7: Well, I gotta choose to disagree with you because I remember, I know, but that was.
Speaker 2: The I know, but as a Catholic school, and I already addressed that fact. And uh, and I'll tell you there is something special about the Catholic school uniforms. I don't know what to tell you. Be that as it may. I really believe that because it was a Catholic school and they did teach these things, that that may have been a factor in the way you understood why the cars were slowing down. Final segment on this If you want to get in one eight praguer is a great call. One eight praguer seven seven six one eight p R A G E R seven seven six Are women aware? Are girls aware? Of what I'm talking about. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this.
Speaker 2: Now back to more.
Speaker 1: Of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, let's get us my make calls as possible. Here. Do women understand the power of man's eye and its effect on them when they're seeing women in the way they're dressed, et cetera. Christina in San Diego is going to refute the last caller. I guess, Hi, Christina, Dennis Prager, Hi, Hi, I just disagree.
Speaker 8: With the woman that was left on. I just feel like day. For example, this morning, I was in sweat and a sweatshirt of ques play outfit. But now I'm going out to lunch with my husband and we're just gonna go to the mall. And I feel better about myself when I feel like I have a pretty good figure. I'm thirty four years old, I have two children. I feel great about myself. I want to you know, I'm proud of me. I'm gonna put something on that says I'm proud of me. It's not to make guys tongues wag or to make women go oh, God, do you see what she's got on. I have on four footing jeans, a nice fitted turtleneck. And you know what it's all about how it makes you feel as a woman. If that's what makes you feel good about you, and you're gonna have a positive outlook on others in on life just by how you dress. They're dressed like that, and those fourteen your own girls that are wearing those hip hunters, good for them. They feel good about themselves. I mean more women are going to the gym now. They're feeling better about themselves, you know they. I just think that for other women or men to criticize women that wear things form fitting and say they look like sless or whatever, I think it's because that person doesn't feel good enough about themselves to put something on. It says, look at me, here I am, I've walked into the room. You can come talk to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thank you. I you know, I've spoken so much. I just want to take calls there. But that that is what exactly what I argued to the last call er. That is what a lot of women will say. It has nothing to do with its effect on men, and they don't even know what the effect might be, and it is not of interest to them now whether that is correct or not, or good or not, or bad or not. We have talked about good or bad. But I am telling you that a lot of girls today do not know the effect on men. I'm not saying Christina doesn't. I don't know she does or doesn't, but she is saying, on any conscious level, I am doing it because this is the way I like the way I look. And that is why I'm saying there is in this As in so much of life, there's a religious secular divide in understanding men and having a sense of well, wait a minute, if it does have effect B. If dressing in fashion A has effect A or effect B on men, the religious female is more likely to say, well, wait a minute, feeling good about myself can't be the only criterion for the way I dress, Yes, given the way it affects men. I'm not here to even advocate, as much as I am to clarify there is in this arena, and this is only a part of why I even raised this. As in so much else, a big division in this world between the secular outlook and what's called Judaeo Christian you're listening to the Dennis Prager Show. Love your email at Dennispraguer dot com. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: This has been timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit dennispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles