Speaker 1: Today's show sponsored by lear Capital, the precious metals leader since nineteen ninety seven and only company I trust and recommend to my family, friends and viewers. Visit learlex dot com.
Speaker 2: He's editor in chief of Breitbart Newis and a New York Times best selling author, and on this podcast he brings deep research, prescient analysis at world class guests. He's Alex Marlow and this is the Alex Marlow Show.
Speaker 3: Absolute banger of a show for you.
Speaker 1: Today, we go long form in person with comedian Jeff Dye, who I think is one of the most interesting voices in comedy. He's already a huge name, but these are like a million followers some of the social media platforms, and he's only going to get bigger because he's got it. He's got a little thing I like to call it. You're going to get a picture for it right away. You will enjoy this one. That's today's show, all right, Comedian Jeff did really nice to meet you. Yourself is all over my Instagram. Thanks you. Apparently my brain likes your stuff because Mark Zuckerberg is sending you a lot of my sending a lot of your content to me, and it's fantastic.
Speaker 3: And thank you.
Speaker 1: You're someone who you're out here in LA and you just find yourself all of a sudden, one day you woke up and you realize you were one of us politically. Yeah, and it's a I want to hear your trajectory come from Seattle. So we I'm an LA guy, I was in the Bay Area for a long time. We both like nice coffees. I'm sure we'll get into that. And then yet it feels like we're looking around here and everyone else is completely crazy, and you find yourself here working with Prager, you doing conservative podcasts.
Speaker 3: Give me some of the arc.
Speaker 4: Well, I will say that I've said this plenty of times that the party changed.
Speaker 3: Being a Democrat changed, That's what changed.
Speaker 4: Was Like I'm a two thousand and one liberal, which is just a Republican now, which in this town is a Nazi.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 4: Like that's that's kind of like to just stay committed to your political parties no matter how much it's evolved, is more of a statement of the person. Yeah, it's like, wait, you've adopted all these ideas as your party's changed. Like when I was in Seattle, big Pharma, you would never have agreed with vaccines in big farm. It was almost like this hippie kind of democratic thing to be like, we don't trust these giant corporations like Johnson and Johnson and Pfizer. And then jump cut to twenty twenty and everyone's like, you don't trust Pfiser?
Speaker 3: What are you?
Speaker 4: A Republican? You're like, how did this get conflated? So the party has changed. And also I have gotten older and grown up a little bit, so I'm not as naive as a young liberal Jeff was, is all. And so I started in Seattle doing comedy, and I've always been a Christian. I've always been a pretty conservative guy. I am a straight white male, but I'm very I am very to each their own guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I just want everyone to get along. I want everyone to like me. And so when I was in Seattle, I would kind of hide my Jesus views or I would hide my conservative ideas in the interest of just trying to get along. I just want everyone to get along. And then I moved to Los Angeles. I was still kind of doing that, but then when COVID happened is when I was like, I'm not doing this anymore. Too many things were happening at once. Black Lives Matter was gaslighting the entire earth, COVID was saying we have to get mandated vaccines even though my body my choice. There was just too many things at once that made me.
Speaker 1: That biocracy that was that's such a good one.
Speaker 3: It's just like my body by choice, crowd.
Speaker 1: But also get triple jabbed right or else you can't go.
Speaker 3: To noboo Malibu. It makes it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And the mask thing, I mean, like, and what's ironic too, is that nowadays even Democrats will look back and be like, uh, isn't that crazy that like we we would believe like a mask would be able to protect us when we went to a restaurant, but once we sat in the booth, we could take the mask off, like what a polite virus?
Speaker 3: You know. But we're all laughing at that.
Speaker 4: But I'm like, but I saying that's dumb then, And you guys didn't even want to be my friend because of it. You guys thought I was a bad person for making the same observation that we're making six years later. So that that's when I had like a mental breakdown politically and socially. And that's what started, you know me really going. I guess I'm not a Democrat.
Speaker 1: So you're in the comedy circles, you're touring, you got dates jeffdie dot com for those you got a podcast. We're talking about some of the stuff you've been doing for Prager, you which which is very cool. But you and I are very similar in a certain way in that we're both open about our faith.
Speaker 3: I'm a Catholic. I talk about it on the show.
Speaker 1: But I also think that sanitized art is generally bad and is not working.
Speaker 3: And I think that I'm.
Speaker 1: Very critical of Hollywood taking a lot of the sex out of movies.
Speaker 3: I think it's been bad.
Speaker 1: I think the more seckless movies are not appealing to people. I think pandering to China has not worked. Your comedy is not is not PG rated. It is a you go for a uti. Yeah, And so I want you to square that because I squeare it. But I feel like I'm sort of alone in this regard that you will hear me have two conversations about me the Eastern math with my kids, back to back with something that is not Eastern. Shall we say you work all this in your routine. I feel like you might be like the only guy doing it. Are there other people out there? You feel like coming from this vantage point.
Speaker 4: No, I don't know if there's other people, or if there are, I'm just not aware of them. But I think that I have a real commitment to truth or being real. I think that that people can smell that in other people.
Speaker 3: Yes, when you.
Speaker 4: Start to put something on you like morning television, feels very corny and those are nice people, but it feels somehow fake or somehow just everyone putting his artificial front is oh oh.
Speaker 3: Like we'll say like a naughty word and they.
Speaker 4: Go, oh WHOA Like I hate that kind of fakeness, and churches kind of always had that.
Speaker 3: I went to my buddy's church in Nashville.
Speaker 4: Shout out to Chris and his wife Abby, and I went with there on a few weeks ago in Nashville to the church. But that's just being myself and people were like, what's up.
Speaker 3: Man, Like, how's it going to?
Speaker 4: Like? I was just talking the way I talk, And in my mind it's like, I don't change the way I speak just because of what building I'm in.
Speaker 3: I'm just Jeff.
Speaker 4: I like Jeff, and Jeff's gonna be Jeff and not everyone's gonna like that.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But you know, in a church, on myself, on stage, on myself, whether I'm talking to a black person or a little kid or a elderly woman, I'm just me. I treat everyone and I'm just gonna be sincere in that. And so that's the way I justify my faith is like I love Jesus Christ. I have a phenomenal relationship with my creator. It's all I think about most of my day. It's what I've been thinking about since I was a little teen, trying to figure out why we're here, and it is in every vein of my life. However, that doesn't mean I don't I'm not a human, you're You're a man. You're a human man. We're both flawed, we're full of sins.
Speaker 3: I love breasts and hot chicks. And I think it's funny when.
Speaker 1: A fact oh falls down, Yeah yeah, oh genuinely said he likes hot chicks.
Speaker 3: How are we gonna deal with that?
Speaker 4: But like we like, you know, making fun of something on the internet, like we're human beings. Yeah, And I think that maybe it's not us as much as the way we're being perceived. That is the problem, is that they want to put a label on it. But like, but aren't you christian? You were talking about having sex, aren't you Christian? It's like, well, that's interesting that you're trying to put me into a little thing, which is probably like the number one human problem in my opinion, is that we're so quick to just put.
Speaker 3: A label on things. It's the worst.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we go, oh, well, he's woke, and now we don't have to deal with him because we've labeled him this woke thing, which we think is bad, right, or you go, he's maga, and.
Speaker 3: You all it's maga.
Speaker 4: So now we don't even have to like treat them as people because they're just maga or they're just woke, or they're just crazy, or they're just a fascist, or they're just a racist, and whatever label you've put on it, you now don't have to address them.
Speaker 3: As human beings. And I would argue all of.
Speaker 4: Those people in those camps or categories are worth talking to and listening to, including something as bad as being racist. Why are we so mean to racists? I'm being honest, Like, let's talk to them, let's reform them. And tell them, hey, stop being racist. Let's talk about this. Do you really believe that, like, let's like you, you should love a racist and try to make them not racist. Yeah, you don't just immediately to beat them up and say that they're evil and shoot them in the neck on television, like you.
Speaker 3: We should be nice.
Speaker 4: And kind to all the people, no matter what label we've slapped on them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is it's just very lazy thinking.
Speaker 1: I'll move on and get back to reels and get back to you know, cooking the scruples, scrolling.
Speaker 3: And you get to dismiss something. Yeah, yeah, you move on very quickly.
Speaker 1: So here's one thing that I think that you know, at bright part, we were in the cutting edge of Trump and trump Ism, and I really saw the authenticity.
Speaker 3: I got to know him a little bit.
Speaker 1: Beforehand, and I thought when he missed, he would miss honestly. And I know that he uses all sorts of tactics that are dishonest in the moment, but overall, it's a very authentic package that he's presenting, and that moment felt like it was here. But now I'm feeling us pull back from that moment, and I'm seeing more performative personalities get elevated in our society, people who are not coming from an authentic place.
Speaker 3: I'm a little fearful of this.
Speaker 1: Do you agree with me that you're seeing this happen, that you're seeing more composites in our very virtual digital age. I feel like a lot of the personalities that are the hottest personalities are people who are They're not leading with their own authenticity, their own personality. They're actually sort of following algorithms in a way to create an artificial persona. And I hate this because I'm someone who likes art and I love when I see a movie. I want to see an autour movie from a director. I want to if I'm listening to music, don't I don't care about Kanye West tweets.
Speaker 3: I don't care about his tweets.
Speaker 1: I care that he's doing interesting, authentic stuff with his music.
Speaker 3: Somebody I don't like as much, but some of it I love.
Speaker 1: And we're not going to get the ones we love unless we can tolerate the ones we don't love. I thought we all agreed on this stuff, and then all of a sudden, we stopped agreeing on It feels like a few years ago, and then now we just stopped.
Speaker 4: Well, I just think it's more crap, right, that's what you're seeing. You're just seeing that there's way more garbage, you know, and so that's what you're observing. But the truth is that the truth tellers or you know, I know that sounds like a cliche, but the people who are real or the people who are true artists like a Kanye West or or Drew Ski in comedy, like those kind of people, they're still the greatest. They're still the greats, and they're still able to be out there. Joe Rogan seeking truth and being able to talk to people and just have honest conversations no matter where they're from or what they do.
Speaker 3: That's winning.
Speaker 4: You know, Joe's still the number one podcast, Drewski still rising to the top. Kanye literally did his best to ruin his legacy and he's still the number one like selling you know, ticket and these performance centers, and so I think we're just witnessing there's a lot more garbage because now everyone's famous. Now my wife's my buddy's wife is famous, you know, and like everybody's got oh look how many views I got the girl that cut my hair this morning, was telling me about how she went viral.
Speaker 3: I mean, like everyone's famous. Now, yeah, that is.
Speaker 4: That's what we're witnessing, is that nobody wants to actually work. Everybody thinks they should be a celebrity.
Speaker 1: I also think my haircutter is more famous than I am.
Speaker 3: I think that is. I think that is.
Speaker 1: I know, I think that's true. No, it's on camera too much.
Speaker 3: I get like a fantasy celebrity haircut, like the.
Speaker 1: Person it's you know, there's no free ads on the show.
Speaker 3: We can give Adrian a shout out.
Speaker 1: We give Adrian a shout out mit Chae Salon and Beverly Hills, like if you want to do that, Like, that's fine, he cuts, It's good, it's good stuff, It's good.
Speaker 3: We're just shouting, just a friend, this is a.
Speaker 1: Real hair podcast, Like we know that, we know that, we knew this was a hair podcast.
Speaker 3: She doesn't need any more help, but I'm helping her.
Speaker 1: A lot of people ask me, Alex, can you still trust the institutions that hold your money? We talk about de banking all the time on the show. People and organizations quietly losing access to financial services simply because of who they are or what they believe. It even happened to Malania and Baron Trump just last year. That's one of the reasons I partnered with three sixteen Finance. It's an online bank creative for people who want their banking institutions to align with their values, especially at a time when trust in major financial systems is eroding, and for good reason. One thing I genuinely respect about their model is that they actually bake in a sort of tithing of sorts.
Speaker 3: It's not a gimmick.
Speaker 1: They give ten percent of their money back to values based organizations, and it's the sort of thing that I think is just really high integrity and really struck me about the brand from a practical standpoint. It's also a very good bank that delivers everything you want, no monthly fees, free ATMs nationwide, and super competitive interest rates across their account So you can make some money right now. When you open a three sixteen financial account and maintain an average balance of five thousand dollars for ninety days, they'll add two hundred and fifty dollars to your account. You can learn more and see full offer details at bank three sixteen dot com, slash Marlow and be sure to use the promo code Marlow when you open your account. Banking services are provided by three sixteen Financial, a division of Premise Bank member fd.
Speaker 3: I s it's a I know.
Speaker 1: I don't want to have any more people competing with the time slots. I got a booked like six weeks into days.
Speaker 4: True, yeh, she gets too successful. Then she's like, I'm booked all week.
Speaker 3: That's so funny. No, he's going to love that this came up on the show.
Speaker 1: So this is anyway the uh even though that every other person who's Harry Cutts is left wing radical so oh yeah, oh yeah, of course. No, he's always filling me in on all the hot got.
Speaker 4: You know what so and so said, yeah, yeah, they had an anti ice shirt.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the problem is that now if anyone hears about this, but there's too much content, so not everyone will hear about this. But if anyone were to hear about this, then they would stop talking to him. But I'd stop getting some of the some of the information I got my sources out there. All right, So you guys are listening to Jeff I, I want to I don't want to miss this while we're fresh and I know you gave me a lot of time today, which is fantastic. But you just put out a mockumentary with prager You, which you guys can go to prager you dot com. Everyone knows what a huge supporter I am of preger You. I get to sit on Dennis's set every day to do live radio, and I've been a fan of Dentist for twenty years, who's just the absolute best. So the I hate prager You micro entry. It's legitimately hilarious. I laughed out loud, which is great, and it tells a story. I want to get to some of it. I want to encourage people to go to prager you dot com and watch it. It's like twenty five minutes, which I think is super cool because it's a guest. Sometimes come in and they have a book and I want to read the book. I try to read every book that's like a forty eight hour it's nice. I got it like a twenty three minutes. It's a comedy like that. I can handle.
Speaker 3: That's easy. But I want to talk about you.
Speaker 1: How do you found praguer you because you don't have children, correct, and you are I know a lot of your audience is comedy. Guys is going to be younger people, but you are reaching a specifically conservative, younger audience with your time. That's a bold move for a working popular comic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean I think things are all knowing, are all truth, you know, so like whatever age you are, whatever, where the things are, Like, I think if it's good, it's good, and people are.
Speaker 3: There are no children anymore.
Speaker 4: Really, my niece is in fifth grade and she'll like FaceTime me to yell about tariffs and billionaires. I mean, there's no kids anymore anyways. So if they're all on the internet anyways, I think Brager used a great place for them to go. Not to mention, a lot of my friends are morons, you know.
Speaker 1: Like see, this is the thing with guys that when guys have real guy friends, you can say just flat out like, dude, I love you and we're gonna go on a trip. We're going on a golf trip this weekend and we have a great time. But you are stupid, dude, for.
Speaker 4: Really, Like, I have a ton of friends they know nothing about anything, and then they'll go on like rants about things here. But you're dumb, and you know you're dumb. I know you're dumb, and so I think Bregier use a good place for all ages. You can watch a video and go, oh yeah, maybe open borders is a bad idea. That doesn't mean you go around being racist or you hate people that are legal immigrants, but like you can have a smart, nuanced opinion about something that all your dumb friends are just goingf ice like this is such a like you we need to look into these things. And I think that Pregger he does a fantastic job whether you're a kid or a teenager or a college age or an adult watching a simple video breaking down how something is like oh this is interesting, or that's the history on this, and there's no motive. History is wildly conservative. It's in the past, you know, it's a thing, and so like some things are facts. It's not like Prager, you can manipulate the history.
Speaker 3: It just is.
Speaker 4: If Prager you could manipulate the history, they might want to go, hey, slavery didn't happen, that was all. No, they have to address all the things that are actually in history. So Pregger, you kind of found me from being on Gutfeld and leaning into it more of the conservative side. Of things, and so they asked me if i'd, you know, like to, you know, work on this project. I gave it a peek and I loved it right away. We use my middle name right because my name is Jeffrey Alden, so in the in the thing, we call them Alden and I.
Speaker 3: Was excited to make it.
Speaker 4: It's also a testament to Praguer you how good they are like cutting something together. It looks great because when we were shooting that, I didn't know how I was going to turn and it turned out fantastic.
Speaker 1: It's efficient, it's sharp, and the first five minutes they cut it is legitimately hilarious. I had to challenge anyone in the audience. It's super quick. And then the story is really cool, especially from my perspective because we were the original conservative outlet that everyone tried to cancel with a deep dive reporting. Is that you play a left wing reporter who's trying to just destroy Praguer You. That's the whole goal. That's the premise, and there's an arc that's involved. I need to give away the whole arc, but it is a really great premise.
Speaker 3: Who came up with it? What was the writing process?
Speaker 4: Right for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know who, like specifically at Prigger You wrote it, but they brought it to me as like a full thing. It was just like do you want to be this guy? And I was like sure, Yeah. So I'm not sure who specifically wrote it, but the idea is there's actually people who work at Pregger You who initially hated Prey or you. Xavier for examples over there, like he has in VLM protests and he was like pretty aggressive aggressively against conservatives because everything he's been told is that like Republicans are racists, and Republicans hate anyone that isn't a nationalist, and they they're they're America first because they have all these ill will towards all these socialists or whatever. You know. They've been told all these lies about Republicans and then when you started to like just scratch the surface a little, you go, oh, maybe not, you know, And that's what has happened for a lot of people at Breaker You. And so that was kind of the premise for the for the mocumentary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is something that I've just lived through personally so many times, where people think they understand what we're doing and then if they actually spent an hour, not even hours and a half an hour, just like reading our headlines, you start seeing the math that I'm it is all like our bias a bright bart which is very open. We talk about our America first conservatism. But it's all in topic selection. And I'll tell you that, like I'm selecting, I'm laying on a narrative based on facts like I'm but they're all true. Everything is true, and I don't take supply full context. Everyone asks to supply full contests in my newsroom, and it is something that is totally honest and above board. And yet people act like we're just manipulators as fake news.
Speaker 3: And then the left wing journals they.
Speaker 1: Go on the website and like, actually, these are kind of accurate stories.
Speaker 3: I just I wish you would play.
Speaker 1: Up more of the negative opinion I might hold or I'm not gonna do.
Speaker 3: And then people figure it out like, oh, this isn't so bad, and you do win.
Speaker 1: A lot of converts that way, and a lot of people I know don't agree with us read us because it's actually a good insight into what do maga people care about in the news that day.
Speaker 3: Sure trigger you is stuff.
Speaker 1: It's not mostly political, it's mostly about God, it's about country, it's about history. I'd go for the history videos like I watched history, because I don't have a categorical memory for that stuff. I'll bone up on I need a few now talking points. What's a better place to get a few maw talking points than whatever pager use got up on. Yeh, absolutely, So what was the what was the you find? You found yourself with them? They reached out because you're on Guff album. Yeah, so in your arc of politics, did you feel like you were a liberal at some point and that became I.
Speaker 3: Don't think I was ever a liberal.
Speaker 4: I think that I believed I was a liberal, if that makes sense, of course. I also I don't know how well I'm gonna be able to articulate this idea, but you know, so forgive me. But I think everyone's a lot more conservative than they pretend to be. You know, you could find the most egregious like sex positive, like oh, I'm a I'm the wildest girl at the bar, and then once you start hanging out with her, she's gonna get mad.
Speaker 3: If you start hooking up with other girls.
Speaker 4: You know, no matter how like liberal and like whatever, Like she's she's gonna be like, hey, maybe just me and you.
Speaker 3: And you go, oh, that's real conservative. Yeah, I thought you were, Polly. It's like, you know, like.
Speaker 4: People are more conservative than they pretend to be. And I think when you're young, it's you don't want to be your parents Republican. You don't want to be old and conservative. You want to look young and wild. But even the most young and wild want to feel safe, right, And they don't want to look the homeless guy in the eye, and they they want to like so, you.
Speaker 1: Know, they like the idea of that the town is an overrun by criminals and homeless. That's not a political statement, that's just a general humans like that stuff. It's less pleasant when there's a homeless camp across from your the JW. Marriott in downtown LA. Like, it's very which that exists. And when I take my family to the Librea tar pits, which I know this because you the great bit about the Los Angeles Angels. Yeah, my version of this is the Librea tarpets. You know what Librea means the tar Oh, that's hilarious.
Speaker 3: So the the tartar, the tartar feel free.
Speaker 1: Feel I've using it. But Jeff is a great bit the you guys can do the math in your head. But uh, the Angels and Los Angeles Angels are really.
Speaker 4: Good, really, the Los Angeles Angels, the Angels Angels.
Speaker 3: Which I can't believe.
Speaker 1: I walked this earth for thirty five years watching baseball and never put that together.
Speaker 3: And I had my Librea Tarpets. Hispanics put it together a lot clearer.
Speaker 4: I just think that when you're young, you think you're something that you maybe aren't right, and that's because you know, we're always putting labels on ourselves, you know, like oh, I'm a skateboarder, I'm a punk rock or I'm and so, like I would wear the idea that like, oh I'm liberal, like I'm a Democrat, but like when it was really if you really think about it, like I've always just wanted to be with one girl, I've I love Jesus Christ, like I would probably lean towards Republican, but definitely a conservative, you know, So I just that's I think I've always kind of been conservative.
Speaker 1: There's a nice, bright brow shout out and I hate Prager you again, Prager you dot com if you guys want to watch this, and you should.
Speaker 3: It's entertaining.
Speaker 1: But you use something that I think is really important, which is it makes praguer you, which I work with all the time.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 1: Normal people, and that's what we're normal people.
Speaker 3: Bright part.
Speaker 1: Everyone acts like we're an ab horns, like we're No, we're like always shockingly normal. And I love there's a great line about how it's funded by right wing billionaires. Apparently I'm a right wing billionaire now because I don't. I give them money every year, Like I would give them way more if I could. I it's normal people contribute because they see the good it does. We love Dennis Prager on the show, and it's just very It's a cool thing.
Speaker 3: And I'll pushed back a little bit.
Speaker 4: Sure, let's say you were a right wing billionaire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the problem. No, there's no problem. I'd give more. Bgger you.
Speaker 4: I don't get people's problems with everything.
Speaker 3: Sure, Oh, just some rich guy. What's wrong with rich guys? What is your problem? We're all human beings.
Speaker 4: You're fine with some homeless, wrench wielding guy with weener out on the streets.
Speaker 3: But you're mad at just rich guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like, I don't understand why some things are okay to hate socially and some things aren't.
Speaker 3: What are we doing?
Speaker 4: You wouldn't get some straight white males like, what's wrong with straight white males?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 4: I'm straight and white and a male. I'm sorry, what's the problem. I don't understand. I would never say that to someone else. Oh, you wouldn't get it. You're a twelve year old Asian girl, like, like, like, what's wrong with being a twelve year old Asian girls? There's nothing wrong with these things? And I think that, like, slowly we are starting to think as a society now you should behave differently. You're a white guy, you should behave differently. You're a Republican, you're a rich guy. You're like, what's wrong with those things? Those are what I am?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: So here's let's take this a step further and something I wanted to get to because you and I both have similar bits Yours is much more refined because you're an actual comic. But I talk a lot about how the best coffee shops are in blue areas, for sure, and I'm a coffee shop guy. And there's a great scene I'm big enough. The movie almost too much now, But it's the there's a scene where you're going to blog in a coffee shop, and I blogged so many times.
Speaker 3: In the coffee shop. I thought I felt.
Speaker 1: Very see in that moment, do what I believe is the Lord's work. Well, I've got my eyes latte there.
Speaker 3: But so Republicans step up your coffee game. So what is this though?
Speaker 4: What is going on?
Speaker 3: Why can't we do?
Speaker 1: Because my ultimate I think that the coolest thing I could do if I was a trillionaire, make it an amazing right wing city where we've all the cool people are there, but we have the better restaurants and coffee shops. Like, why can't we figure this out? Because it feels like world's most obvious idea.
Speaker 3: It's just a cultural thing.
Speaker 4: It'd be like a democrat or not a democrat, sorry, like a super like liberal person, like a super like woke Antifa person being super into guns.
Speaker 3: It's like there's.
Speaker 4: Nowhere I can go to figure out guns, you know, because these they are like militant and malicious style people. But like, where are they supposed to get gun trained? Now? You know they're going everywhere I go it's military guys and conservative guys with American flags, and I think that's the same of coffee. It's just been so liberal for so long. I mean, it's like we stole it from Europe, right, like the culture. We kind of like stole the culture from Europe, brought it to Seattle, brought it to Portland, brought it to all these.
Speaker 1: The beans third world countries are making the best beans and all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we're coming in real late, you know, like these black Rifle coffee guys are going like, maybe now we'll get into it. It's twenty twenty. You're like, what this too late, dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just it's a I opened the show my live show earlier this week talking about a San Diego, downtown San Diego coffee experience I had where the woman literally had ten face piercings, a not ear. It was a record, And I was with my six year old in his Eastern pajamas and he's been confronted with some real humanity and the coffee was just unbul unbelievable.
Speaker 4: And I think it's also too like when it comes to like coffee culture, like it's who cares about the coffee? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, so like that person, no.
Speaker 4: Matter what they're going through in their life, whether they're happy or crazy, they do love coffee and they take a tremendous amount of pride.
Speaker 3: In making that coffee.
Speaker 4: And so like she's putting her she's putting her her essence in there.
Speaker 3: She really is.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you that this is not only do we a lot of do a lot of haircare humor on the show, but it's also a coffee humor show because I do a lot of Kyoto method jokes. A you're familiar with the Kyoto method, this is a coldbrew method where it's a tower and you put ice whatever is your best water you can get at the top, and the ice drips down into the coffee and then like a day and a half later you get cold brew. And I make this as a joke about the excessiveness of coffee culture.
Speaker 3: They had one. They had one.
Speaker 1: I've never actually had almost a million dollars seven dollars like, which is a lot, but it's like not a.
Speaker 4: Lot, that's like a hundred, right exactly right.
Speaker 1: Like the process from the beans being grown in Costa Rica to my Kyoto meth and coffee in a super expensive machine, and it was it lived up to the hype.
Speaker 3: I've been making fun of it.
Speaker 4: Everybody complains that things are too expensive.
Speaker 3: Yah, everyone is so cheap. Everyone's like, oh, oh man, can you believe this? A I had to.
Speaker 4: You got double steak at your Chipotle and you're like mad that it cost fourteen dollars. You're like people used to only have steaks like once a month, like on like their payday of the like then like they.
Speaker 3: Would have a stake.
Speaker 4: But you think you should get double steak three times a day at the mall and you're mad that it costs fourteen dollars. The same thing when you find out how stuff is made, just be grateful that it's that price. Have you ever seen how silk is made? I have not go to like the how it's made things on YouTube. Whenever you have a next free time, it's like a nine minute video and you see how silk's made. You're like, this much silk should be a billion dollars, Like it's crazy what we have to go through.
Speaker 3: Like that coffee right there.
Speaker 4: The second I heard that, I was like, I'd try it, but I'm not gonna pay two hundred bucks for.
Speaker 3: A tup of coff it's seven dollars seven seven three seven dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's a and that that is the steak is a perfect example. I say this a lot, is that my life is so enhanced by I think steak is incredibly cheap. It's like the Whole Foods butcher has prime steaks, and I can feed my whole family for less than you know one like a date night at California at California Pizza Kitchen on Prime. That's incredible. So it is, and we all do blow through that really fast and move on to the thing to complain about. If you get a problem with aches and pains, perhaps you're feeling a little older, a little stiffer these days. I've got a solution that is Maha Pure Maha medical grade red light therapy tool. You don't want to get hooked on drugs or pharmaceuticals, you don't have been in the.
Speaker 3: Doctor's office all the time.
Speaker 1: Well, my friend Tom Kerber and the folks at some Power Led they have got you covered and you can do what I'm using. I'm using the super Palm ten fifty. It's a handheld medical grade red light therapy tool. Deliver's consistent, high quality light output, the kind of professionals trust, strong performance, reliable, noticeable results compared to cheap, consumer grade alternatives, very easy to use. You hold in the palm in your hand. Designed for people want real healing. This is not guesswork. Some power led stands behind its quality. You're protected with the money back guarantee and a two year warranty.
Speaker 3: What could be better than that? Actually there is something better.
Speaker 1: You get ten percent off too with the code marlow when you go to sunpowerled dot com. Most competitors can't offer this stuff because they just can't back it up. This is high quality stuff, works no on a basive, no doctor's offices, and it's going to reduce inflammation. Could help you with arthritis, could help you with any sort of problem that you might be having that could benefit from red light therapy.
Speaker 3: Reducing inflation.
Speaker 1: Stop wasting money on non medical grade cheap stuff.
Speaker 3: Go to the real pros. Somepowerled dot com.
Speaker 1: They helped me and code marlowe get you ten percent off of check out somepowerled dot com.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, so socially we do. Yeah, Like, I'm so grateful. I think growing up poor was the best thing that could have ever happened here, because.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm so happy I got into the.
Speaker 4: Shower and I was like, dude, I got a shower. I was like very just excited about that.
Speaker 1: We like seventy five years into having showers in everyone's house. It's the I was just reading a sales book and the sales guy was talking about how he missed out on a sale because the family was going to build their first bathroom in their house, so they had no extra money and he still talked to them into the sale anyway, which is kind of a dark story. But those nineteen seventies we're talking about. This is not one seventies. This is fifty sixty years ago.
Speaker 4: Anytime someone tries to complain to me about how so much how much something cost?
Speaker 3: I go, how many pairs of shoes do you on? They go what, I go, how many.
Speaker 4: Pairs of shoes do you own? And they're like, I don't know, probably like fifteen pairs. Are gonna get a book at it, Like I can't even do it. Like like the idea that these my friends would complain about how broke they are and whatever president's in office, whereas Biden or.
Speaker 3: Trump, they go, oh god, this is ruining my life.
Speaker 4: And then they get money from COVID, like the COVID government money, and they bought baseball cards and they used their COVID money to get alcohol or like a guitar.
Speaker 3: And I was like, dude, stop acting like you're broke. You guys are all like ingrades.
Speaker 1: Yeah they I'm clipping that one is that is a message everyone should hear. I got one more joke from the show that I can't it'll still be funny. But I just love that you gave a as your liberal persona in the prager, you doc, you gave a speech to no one in the park. I just played the clip of Corey Booker last week brought a podium to the Newark Airport and gave a speech in front of no one and taped it and put it out, and I thought, why is he doing this? And that's his primal scream, that's his therapy session. Is just giving a speech that doesn't matter at all.
Speaker 4: Well, and I think that that was a fun glimpse into something I'm really obsessed with, is step up your protest game. You guys are jokes. We are literally children like we are like little idiot children to think that you making a little glitter sign and holding it on the side of the road is going to change anything.
Speaker 3: It is laughable to me.
Speaker 4: Now, I understand protest is good, right, it's good when you need to be heard as a people. But we let's find a more productive way to do this. Right. The idea that you would make a sign with your kids, put little glitter glue on it, and you'd come up with a cute little thing that wouldn't even be a tweet that would get once.
Speaker 3: And you're on Ventura Boulevard in Sherman.
Speaker 4: Oaks and you think that would change anything in Palestine, You chimp brained idiot like that is It's crazy to me that anyone would think that that would do anything like that. But I made a sign and stood in front of Tesla. Did that not make a difference? You go, why would that make a difference? This strange turn here, Colin Kaepernick taking a knee during the national anthem in an NFL game might have been the smartest protest I've ever seen. It got us talking, it didn't cause any traffic. Everyone you knew was talking about it, and it wasn't like when you just see another group of people going no kings, like, like, find a productive way to protest that starts conversations, that doesn't ruin people's lives, It doesn't clog up a park, like like that New York thing, the what was that big protest that was in New York for like almost a year?
Speaker 3: Remember occupying by yeah ye yeah.
Speaker 4: And now people can't even get to their cars. The people that are walking their dogs are like, what is this smelly people out here? You know, like, find a way to protest where you're not annoying your fellow man. You're actually making a statement about something we understand and that we can all have a nice conversation about.
Speaker 3: That's productive.
Speaker 4: I just don't understand why people think making signs is going to do anything in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Six, especially when so much of the activism is obviously astroturfed. It's sort of like it almost feels silly to say it because so much of it's funded. That people are showing up these so many of them admit they're getting paid. It's the middle of work days. The signs are getting very lazy, as you know. But what's interesting is like the people are so unappealing when whatever was the no King's day. I felt like that was just fodder for talk radio. I feel like, the why else would you do this unless you're just trying to create content for people like me to.
Speaker 3: Make fun of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, So the left has to know this and contrasted with the Kaepernick protest with your right don' agree with what he stood for? But or no for uh the the that's for the fifteen over crowd there on that one.
Speaker 3: The but it did work, like it got it was effective. It worked, and you should acknowledge that.
Speaker 1: That got the conversation going and professional sports got way woker after that moment. So it was very effective and getting stuff done.
Speaker 4: Nobody's day was ruined. Yeah, it pissed me off, and now I have to have conversations with my friends, And that was that's what you want.
Speaker 3: That was the should piss me off conversation.
Speaker 4: Defend my position to my friends who agree with it. That's what good protest is. Not making me miss my flight on the holidays because oil companies. That's another thing is like these protests are so vague.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you mean?
Speaker 4: No, King, Like, like, let's get specific, Yeah, what do you mean? Black lives matter? Yet we know, we know Black Lives matter. Is this about police brutality? Is this about systematic this is about the history of slavery, which you know, we were the first to get rid of the Great country. Like, it's too vague, and that's kind of what I was saying in the beginning of the thing, is like we love to paint like a vegue thing, like oh, it's crazy or it's woke, or it's maga. It's too vague. You've got to be specific. So it's like like like take trans. They go, oh, you're anti trans, Jeff, I've heard your jokes, but no, I'm not. I have trans friends. I have trans friends, but I'm friendly and have peers that are trans people in the comedy community. I'm very nice to them and I love them and I want them to have a good, nice life and i want them to prosper in America. But there's seventy five issues with being pro or anti trans. Yeah, you have the trans in sports, you have very controversial hormone blockers for people that are underage, you have you know, there's like seventy five different things that would all fall under the category of trans. You know, separating the bathrooms by sex or gender. You like, I said seventy five different things, and what if I I agree with seventy of them, but five, I push back on?
Speaker 3: Does those five make me anti trans? Yes?
Speaker 4: And are the seventy that I agree with make me pro trands enough? You know, I am going to have a statement or an opinion maybe about Israel that isn't linked to Jewish people, or does it make me anti Semitic? I can have a take about that. These subjects are so complex and nuanced, but we want to go anti trans's anti gay, he's woke, he's crazy, he's mega, And it's like, that's so vague, it's not specific enough.
Speaker 1: So speak to this from the comedy stance where you're spend most of your time touring comic because this is really interesting to me because I feel like, first of all, the left got very anti free speech, which I think was probably a mistake with the right at the moment where it seems like comedy is at the centerpiece of the culture. Sure stand up comedy in particular, it seems to be one of the quickest ways to start conversations is via these viral clips and stand up specials that are taking place and so I think that the left going that no, you actually can and joke about stuff was probably really stupid for them overall. And the other thing is, to your point is people like me, like I would seriously avoid all the trands stuff because there was a brief moment where it was clearly just a small group of very strange people that I didn't really want to focus on. But then the IS kept insisting on not only that our trands everywhere, and like seven percent of us are trans all of a sudden, in twenty five percent of sixteen year olds are trans all of a sudden, They did that like overnight, that were there, And then if you say anything negative, you're a bigot, and it's like okay, now now I am the anti trans, so it call me a fine fine and whatever. Yeah, And that was so I think they think they probably won, though they think the trans movement probably feels like they.
Speaker 3: Got the long the way they did win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because now there are people and not all nothing is all, but there are people who believe the craziness or the just plain wrongness of being like well everybody's going in science, right, you know, like take the anti fat thing or like the pro fat you know whatever this is called. Like they'll say, well, these doctors that are saying being overweight is unhealthy, they're wrong, And you're like, they couldn't be more scientific, that you don't want to be overweight. But like now there is a group that goes that these doctors are being that they should be malepractice, that they're telling people to lose weight, or oh, these doctors are misgendering babies. There is a small enough faction of people who do believe that that is the science and that like so they've won in a small way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: I think that's right, And I think that's very sad in a way because it was more interesting when you could have the full conversation.
Speaker 3: But we don't. We don't think of things that way.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk about the life as a touring comic because I'm always fascinated by this because it's you're working at night.
Speaker 3: How many days are you doing a month? I do every night somewhere every night, so so.
Speaker 1: You're you're up either if it's on your web and you're showing up somewhere and working on Matrio.
Speaker 4: So yeah, every weekend, I'm somewhere, which you can find on Jeff dott I Commas. I was in DC this last weekend at the Comedy Loft, and then tomorrow through the weekend, I'm at the Improv and Raleigh, North Carolina. But every single night in between those weekend dates that you can find on my website, I'm in Los Angeles. Okay, I'm either at the Comedy Store, the Haha Comedy Club, the Improv in Hollywood, the Laugh Factor, and only the Comedy and Magic Club. So I've kind of got the infinity gauntlet of like all the clubs here in Los Angeles, and so that's where I work out all my comedy during the week and also the Upstairs Comedy Club, which I forgot to match.
Speaker 3: So I think you and I are about the same age.
Speaker 1: And one thing that's really when I was a little bit younger, not too much younger, I used to love traveling two places, and I used to I would schedule every I had been in my apartment for more than three weeks, and I was like, I'm scheduling somewhere. I'm going somewhere. I will come up with a meeting or an excuse. I was at her in Chief of Bright Parts. I was lucky enough I could do that sort of thing. And now as I'm getting older, I don't want to be in the road, don't I don't like my energy when I'm on the road constantly, and I don't think I'm as productive with my downtime.
Speaker 3: And so this is what I'm curious about.
Speaker 1: Because you're someone you make your living with your brain and you get the whole day in front of you until the How is the day structured to walk me through a typical day for you. One of the themes of the Marlow Show on this show and just about every show is life.
Speaker 3: How do we save lives? How do you make lives better?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a company that does this full time and is a company that I recruited to come onto the show.
Speaker 3: Preborn.
Speaker 1: Preborn helps young women who might be finding out they're pregnant.
Speaker 3: They don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: Society has told them that's just a colmpass outside their bodies. We know that's not what it is. This is a human life. This is nascent human life that deserves a chance. And you can give that baby a chance with an ultrasound provided by Preborn to their mother. The mother will also hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time, and after she sees the ultrasound, here's the heartbeat, She's at least twice as likely to actually give birth to the baby and give the baby a life. That's what we're all about here, and Preborn does it better than anyone. Preborn dot com slash Marlow two hundred and eighty dollars. You can save ten babies twenty eight dollars a month, can save a baby a month, all year long. And I know someone out here is super generous, and what's a great tax write off? Fifteen thousand dollars will provide a complete ultrasound machine so that you can save babies lives for years and years to come. I donate myself. I believe in them. These are doing They're literally doing the Lord's work making sure more babies are born. What better use of your charitable dollars than to support a cause that will guarantee more human life. Preborn dot com slash Marlow. They got a phone number eight three three eight five zero baby eight three three eight five zero two two two nine. You go to Alexmarlow dot com hit the preborn banner. You can't miss them. I back preborn, and you should too.
Speaker 3: Well. I am in a unique pot.
Speaker 4: I've put myself in a unique position where I feel no shame or guilt about not being home.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: The reason people feel shame or guilt about being on the road, whether that's a musician or a comedian or a you know, a speaker or anything, is because they have families that they love.
Speaker 3: They have a wife and kids, so if.
Speaker 4: They're on the road, they go, I don't need to be around with my wife and kids or b I'm having such a good time on the road without my wife and.
Speaker 3: Kids that now I feel the guilt. But now I feel guilt.
Speaker 4: And she's going, oh you were how late were you drinking with the and so like there's this entanglement of like mixed emotions and feelings about the road that I'm free of because I don't have a dog or kids, or a girlfriend or a wife. So when I'm on the road, I love it. I wake up, I go to the pool, I smoke a cigar. I usually order food to the hotel or through the hotel, or then I'll go with my buddies.
Speaker 3: I've been on the road for almost twenty years, so.
Speaker 4: I've accumulated it and made all these great friendships in all these towns.
Speaker 3: And also it's kind of like a treat when I.
Speaker 4: Come to their town, like when I come to like a town my boot, like an Arizona. This might be a bad example because I go there so often, but let's say Arizona was like these other towns. My friends Emily and Jeff are like, Jeff's in town. Clear the schedule, like because I'm they don't see me every day, right, So when I am in their town, which is once or twice a year, they go, well, Jeff, it's Jeff weekend. Let's have everyone over at the house and and hang out at the pool.
Speaker 3: And so, uh, that's really nice too.
Speaker 4: That's a good way to spend my time is with whoever I get to see and can figure out in those towns. Uh. And then we do the shows and then everyone wants to hang out from that, and so it's it's pretty full and jam packed. And then we also try to find whatever we can find in that town. So if that town is something cool, we'll go see that.
Speaker 1: Like in DC, you have a sleeper town that's like a favorite that you might not have might not be top of people's mind.
Speaker 4: Chattanooga a really phenomenal city. Yeah, it hasn't been infiltrated by anything yet. But a lot of the towns I like, are the usual suspects I love, you know, Scottsdeeal, Arizona, Tampa, Florida, Chicago used to be great. Not as much anymore. Uh, San Diego, La Joya like that, you know, So those the the obvious towns are you know, you can find like a Padres game in San Diego. We went to a Nationals game just last weekend, and and.
Speaker 1: Then you'll get up after the game like or like it's seven first page, seven to ten, Like are you going to the club after?
Speaker 3: Wait, wait to say it again.
Speaker 1: Like I'm saying if it's a seven to ten Padres game, like we can go to the game and then go to the comedy club.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So this was luckily the Nationals game was at like four o'clock or five o'clock, and so our Furst show was at seven.
Speaker 3: So we were just there for like three or four innings.
Speaker 4: But the Dodgers were beating the crap out of the Nationals so bad that like, you know, didn't mind stay leaving anyways.
Speaker 1: So I imagine that the day you've got to probably do some reading. I'm guessing and staying up on the news. Imagine you doing some writing, a lot of writing. Imagine you're doing some exercise cause you stay in shape.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do a lot of writing.
Speaker 4: I work out if I can find like an equinox in town, or like we'll go on a hike or something. So it's a lot of writing. I don't listen. I don't read anything. I listened to books like on the airplane and stuff like that. But yeah, so usually when I land me in my own opener Chris Bauers shout out to him, we'll be like, oh, let's go get coffee. That's always my first thing because you know, one cool thing about being able to travel and being obsessed with coffee is like I get to see the best coffee shops in America.
Speaker 1: It is something that I prioritize each and every city I go to. You so just know if I'm coming your city, because every here I'm coming to your city. Coffee recommendations a low hot Alex Marlow dot com, please send them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's great too, because.
Speaker 4: You know, I have the coffe shops that I really love here by my house, but like getting to go to a great new coffee shop every weekend feels like so good. And I do like a little thing on my Instagram but where I plug them. So yeah, it's always coffee first. Then we usually find some food and then I'll smoke a cigar by the pool, and then we do the shows. And then when I say if we're gonna go to baseball games to you like an afternoon on a Saturday.
Speaker 3: Or got it?
Speaker 1: So your brand you're doing simultaneously you're talking about your faith and you're also talking about eating pasta loon in the Strip Club. I think that you're the only person with that range that has I think your profile.
Speaker 3: So this is this is a question I've been dying to ask.
Speaker 1: Who do you get more negative feedback from the Christian crowd or the left wing crowd for you talking about your faith, the Christian ground for you talking about the strip.
Speaker 3: Club, or the left wing crowd for you talking about Jesus.
Speaker 4: Good question. One hundred percent of the people talking trash about me.
Speaker 3: Don't know me and they're not listening. Interesting, that's what I believe.
Speaker 4: Yes, now too, I think what you're actually asking is that most of it. It's like ninety five percent left wing people and Democrats who are like that guy's maga five percent, or people like, hey, you know, you probably shouldn't be talking about pornography if you're saying you're a Christian. But that's just like DM stuff. That's all just like blurry whatever. I would encourage anyone who thinks they hate me or thinks they know me to like, just come talk to me, right, come to my show.
Speaker 3: My buddy Bowers is.
Speaker 4: So sweet about like he ran this thing with Ben Gleeb for a while during COVID that was like an internet show like on zoom screens, and they have a ton of like people who say they're liberal that watch their thing, and Bowers is always hesitating to invite them to my shows. He's like, dude, they're super like lefty, and he goes. But when they do come, I sit there and I coach them because you'll start a bit and then there's there I could watch their feelings. He goes, just let them land the plane, you know, like just let him get to the the end, and then he goes, whenever I do that, then they're like, oh, I get it.
Speaker 3: I see what he's saying.
Speaker 4: There. Nothing in my act is mean. It's all very like positive. I'm going to point out and make fun of and tear down ideas when I'm on tearing down people.
Speaker 1: And you have great formats where you start, you throw a lot of curveballs where you're starting with the premisey you think you know where you're going, and you'll go one ego, which is really good.
Speaker 4: And I just think that like smart people discuss ideas, they don't go, oh, you know people like this, like that's rude.
Speaker 3: It's mean to say about people like this, But.
Speaker 4: Like an ideology, you know, like that is that's something worth worth debating or criticizing.
Speaker 1: Do you have anyone who is not on the left? Atheists? Both combo that he is the public person that you talk to, that you've any public dialogues with at all, because seems like something you'd enjoy it.
Speaker 4: But the thing, no, I know a lot of agnostic people, but no like atheists. Yeah, I guess my one of my best friends is he says he's atheist, but he doesn't behave like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he seems to.
Speaker 4: Have a lot of hope, He seems to have a lot of feelings, you know.
Speaker 1: So what about so no family? Is that a for now thing or do you feel like that's a hardwiring thing?
Speaker 3: Don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I was such a late bloomer and it took me so long to get my life together. Yeah, like you know, I'm glad no woman wanted to be with me, sure, just because you know, like the drinking was out of hand for a long time and like that wasn't very emotionally available. I think if I met someone I really liked, then then i'd be I would love to have a family, But I think both are good.
Speaker 3: What other so it feels like for me?
Speaker 1: I mentioned how you're all over my my social feeds, and I'm always stunned when I see people who are comics feel like might make a point similar point I made, and I'll look down all like, you know, two hundred likes on it or something, or maybe good will be two thousand likes and I'll see a similar point. But it's made in a sharp, not just funny way, but like a way that's dialed in in a comedy bit, and it's got sixty thousand likes and a lot of these likes, I don't know how much alike means, But what what about the medium do you feel like why it's having its moment this sort of comedy that Yeah, the stand up in particular, well, I.
Speaker 4: Think that streaming has helped obviously with Netflix and the youtubes and stuff, So it's kind of made us like rock stars used to just kind of like know about comedy and comedy clubs. Our parents' age, like, they didn't know a comedian, they didn't know a stand up comedi unless they had a sitcom.
Speaker 3: I only know the sitcom.
Speaker 4: Well, no, my parents would never know Paula Pounds down. But my parents knew Jerry Seinfeld, they knew Ray Romano, they knew Brett Butler, they knew Caroline Ray, they knew Mark Curry, they knew all these people because of the sitcoms that they got from their stand up A good point. So I think that's helped for us as far as like you know, you know a Shane gillis, a Mark Norman Nikki Glazer. Because of Netflix, it's made us kind of like low level rock stars of this generation. I personally believe the reason people are responding to the stand up is because, like you, like we said earlier it's just so much crap. You know. It's like your daughter just dancing in the top. You're not proud of her wearing, you know, Like it's it's it's a lot of like just drivel on there and he's disposable rise to the top because it's like, oh, he's making a good point.
Speaker 3: And then everybody has gotten so political.
Speaker 4: Everyone's acting out their political beliefs like religious zealots, you know, like like people are more proud to say they're a Democrat or Republican than they are about their faith.
Speaker 3: They won't even say they're religion.
Speaker 4: They'll first go, I'm a Democrat, I'm a It's embarrassing, and comedy is a good way to carve through that.
Speaker 3: Like you'll listen to a joke.
Speaker 4: I'll listen to a joke from any liberal or any anybody, and so but if it's funny enough, I'll give it a good. I'll give it a good I'll consider it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really there's something very subtle that your stuff you're not it doesn't even look that you're trying to be a conservative. Yeah, and it feels like a lot of conservative comics who all talk to you on the show and I have on don't think are funny and are good people.
Speaker 3: They do.
Speaker 1: Really, it's conservative first comedy. Second, you're way in the other you I'm making it good, thank you. But that's that's that's it's obvious. I want that to be how people perceive it?
Speaker 3: Is that how?
Speaker 1: But do you feel like that's how the broader public sees it? Because I look at the reactions on your socials, it looks like that's how they're they're seeing it.
Speaker 4: My fans see it that way, I think, And again, this is so arrogant to say that, Like, there's plenty of people that just wouldn't like me or don't like me. That's fair, that's life. That's how what it's like to be a human being. But when I say that, people that really hate me just don't know me aren't listening. It's because like they think I'm saying something I'm not. And you're like, well, if you just really listened, you would hear that I'm saying, oh you hate treads like no, I'm saying love everyone, like. I can't tell you how many times in the bit I say I love trans people like I said it three times in this chunk, And you're not even hearing it. So I think that that happens a lot. It's just people not listening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I want to talk about a little bit about what you feel like what is audience feedback for you? Because I'm in a spot where I'm sure you feel similarly where I in my line of work. I have to lead the audience and be responsive to what they want because the audience wants certain types of content. They want to hear about certain things. But also I'm hopefully on the cutting edge because I'm in the news business and I'm paying attention to things twenty four to seven. I'm seeing things and hearing from people they can't see. So for you, what is feedback to you that you're listening. Is it just you're in the room. If people are laughing, you know you're onto something. And if they're not laughing, or is there what are you looking at? In terms of making sure you're on the cutting edge of your material.
Speaker 4: It's always in the room, So never on the internet. I don't know how people would measure how well they're.
Speaker 3: Doing on the internet. It's a comfort for you to say this, yes.
Speaker 4: And also, like I used to always criticize, like radio people because we would go in to like kiss one oh six or one oh seven seven the end, and like, you know, these are like people we love listening to on the radio, like when we were in high school at junior high. So it's kind of cool to be in those rooms. But I'm like they were so out of touch because they would say something funny and they assume everyone in their car is just going ah.
Speaker 3: But they don't know. They can't hear it.
Speaker 4: They don't know that maybe someone's rolling their eyes or going this DJ sucks.
Speaker 3: They don't know.
Speaker 4: Whereas with a stand up comic, you know right away if I say something and they don't like it.
Speaker 3: They've let me know right away, like that wasn't.
Speaker 4: Funny, or like we work that out there like or we you know, not that they even disagree, just that they didn't think it was funny.
Speaker 3: So we've kind of become really really good.
Speaker 4: Like that's kind of our superpower is knowing what is and isn't funny quicker than other kind of people in whatever field.
Speaker 3: And so I always judge it by the room.
Speaker 4: So if in that room they all laughed that I made a joke, that's Rachel.
Speaker 3: I'll put it on the internet.
Speaker 4: Sure, I don't care that the internet goes this is Rachel. I don't care. In that room that night, all those people loved it. Yeah, and so I know that that's a pass, you know, Like I just posted something. These girls got offended by one of my jokes, and they were like, oh.
Speaker 3: So what are we are? We retards? Are we slaves?
Speaker 4: You know? And I was like, oh, you didn't understand the words in between those words. You heard those buzzwords and you got all triggered. You couldn't even hear the analogy that I was making and the jokes that I was making. But the crowd was like predominantly black, and so when these girls got mad, the crowd was kind of conflicted, like do we take their side or do we take the comedian's side? And then these girls are like, oh, I see you guys were all laughing in the crowds, like what now she's coming after us? And then she's like, yeah, you were you know she called them coons and then they.
Speaker 3: Were like, oh hell. And I was like, I remembering on.
Speaker 4: Stagego she screwed up there, you know, should have done that, And I watched the whole crowd turn on her. Like, not all black people are offended. He's being funny. Yeah, And so like that's the kind of consensus or democracy in a way, or majority rules that I judge things based on what I post I got that night, Like they all agreed that this was funny, and so I'm gonna put on the internet, because the Internet, no one's going to agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think that one of the things I was thinking about during your commentary in the Trans just now was that of all the things that I don't dig about the trans moment, the fact that they seem to not want to laugh at themselves. I feel like if any of them can laugh at themselves, I feel like we could get along on everything else, everything else, we could actually have a conversation. But if you it feels like there's a controlling from the movie. I don't know if it's the trans community. I don't even know what that is, but it's the It feels like the message was you can't say anything negative for a while, and that's to me, that's when you write a whole, awful, whole group of people, And I feel like that isn't that sort of the standards? Can we all laugh at ourselves?
Speaker 4: I said this because I was trying to remember what I was going to say to you earlier, and you just reminded me of it, and I'm so glad you went down this thing is that the best audience members I have our military guys and gals, nurses, people who cops, people that have like real jobs where they see things and they go, We're gonna get mad at a clown. These guys up there being a goon, you know, like we would never there's nothing that Dorc could say that would ever offend us. We've literally watched our buddies die, We've we've torn open, cut open, Like the world is so serious that like you can't get mad at a comedian, Like it's insane. And I used to have a joke where I'd say, you know, I'm like, I love feminists. I love feminism. Because this is back before I got a little too out of hand, but I was like, I'm a feminist and I love feminists, and I love the boorest part about him is they can't take a joke. That's the biggest problem. Work on your sense of humor a little, and that's what each group needs to work on, is there's a sense of humor a little. Jordan Peterson has this great quote where he goes, that's one way you can mark if someone is someone you don't want to even want to deal with, is when they decide what is funny, Like, well, I'm going to decide what people should laugh about. And you're like, you're going to decide that. You're going to decide what is funny, this undefinable thing of funny. You're going to decide that, right, And they go, oh, yeah, the world would be a.
Speaker 3: Lot better if I did.
Speaker 4: And you go, wow, you are the fool if you think that you're going to decide what people can laugh laugh about, because that that like, if you're that arrogant that you go all decide what is and isn't funny, like you're you're you're a piece of trash.
Speaker 1: I love that you pull, particularly military guys and law enforcement guy. So I'm thinking of my friend Richard Casias, who is a wounded action military veteran and as a cop. Now, there's nothing I could say to defend this person, Like there's not one thing I could come up with the most brutal thing about his family. I can make fun of his children, right, like he would not care if you're joking.
Speaker 3: If I'm joking, of course, is exactly.
Speaker 1: It's the there's always that's so healthy and we can get back to that, right. I mean you're optimistic, all right, it's coming back.
Speaker 4: We can do that, right, And I think that that's good for everybody, you know. And maybe that's why I'm having such positive interactions with trans people is because I said, they're all comics. They're all the comedians that I know that, and they've got great senses of humor, and they're like verious sweet and they're not clutching their pearls, like can you believe what he says? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So all right, So I was going to ask you what you do on an on tour day, but you're you're saying you're working every day. So something like this like podcasting what we're going along?
Speaker 3: For them, it's a are you on now?
Speaker 1: Are you working stuff out in your brain? Or is this or are you hanging out?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What is this in terms of work?
Speaker 1: Because for me, when I'm doing shows and stuff, I bear it takes time, but it doesn't feel like work to me. But I know for some people it's the I've been around some big stars and it's anything even like a five minute thing. It's a real mental weight for you. Yeah, it doesn't feel like it.
Speaker 4: I love that I've carved my life into being all the things I love, so like I you know, I get to do stand up if you you could be talking to me as.
Speaker 3: They're bringing me on stage.
Speaker 4: There's no like sitting down like this is like because I've carved a way to be able to do my entire career just with what I like. I didn't have to come do this. No one's asking me to you. You guys reached out. I said, I'd love to. Like that sounds fun. Okay, gets to talk to a guy, maybe make a new friend. Why wouldn't I want to do that. There's very few things in my life I'm doing that I don't want to do. With the exception of waking up early in the morning and then working out, those are the only things I'm doing that I don't want to do. Everything else is like, hey, you want to get a cigar? I'm like, sure, you want to? You know, hey, can you do a spotted laugh factor? I go shure, like it's all things I want to be doing, and then they hand me money at the end.
Speaker 3: So that's pretty cool too. That's not bad. It's always not bad.
Speaker 1: So the you're so, what is is there anything that stresses you out in sort of your day to day at work, like if you're doing a huge show like a Rogan show we've done many times, or is there is there a venue where if it's a new venue, or if you new material is there?
Speaker 3: Or are you just sort of you've so much rhino skin.
Speaker 4: Now, there's two things that stressed me out in life. Well, let's let's say three things. One is I have the regular nerves of just like I'm about to go on stage and I want to do well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't think I used to have nerves. People go actually nervous. I don't know, And.
Speaker 4: Then I realized I was just drunk, and so like now that I'm a sober guy, like, I do have nerves before every show that I never thought I had. Really, but it's just like me wanting to do well and enthusiasm and excitement. So they're positive butterflies. But that's one thing. The second thing is corporate events.
Speaker 3: I just did a private gig for a really, really.
Speaker 4: Beautiful couple in Puerto Rico, but they paid me so much money and they brought all their friends to go.
Speaker 3: Our favorite comedian is going to be here.
Speaker 4: So that pressure of like, you know, doing comedy at four pm in the sunlight of a beautiful island, you know, like that, like that made me really nervous.
Speaker 3: Luckily, it went well and it went great.
Speaker 4: But like anytime, like like, I don't get nervous about the laugh factor necessarily because I just know it's going to go well. It's a comedy club, I've done this a million times, but corporate gigs like I'm doing Pebble Beach in August, that'll be like a twenty minute like corporate spot, and I'm like that. That makes me a little nervous then, because I really wanted to go well and they're paying me a lot of money.
Speaker 1: It's so funny to say this because I had a speech last year where I charged like two and a half times my normal rate because literally I had a week earlier and watched my friend Charlie Kirket shot and the Nyack and kill the who's giving a speech. I was going to go fly away from my family and give a speech and I really did not want to do it, and so I threw out a pretty absurd number and they almost hit it. And I gotta tell you, I really wanted to perform because they thought I was worth this amount of money that I didn't think I was worth that amount of money normally, but under these particular circumstances, I said, I'm not going to fly away from my raw family who's all broken up right now, and go and go talk to people for money unless there's a lot of money.
Speaker 3: And I did kill It was great. Yeah, it was a.
Speaker 4: Great experience and they wanted you to be there.
Speaker 3: They loved it. It was important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But like that nerves of like I hope I knocked it for them is a healthy thing to worry about.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I gave them their moneys worth eventually, but it really was I was kind of pacing around the room before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The third thing I stress about, which I'd love to have a conversation with you about, is how much negative energy.
Speaker 3: I get from the internet. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know why I let it affect me. It's been the probably the hardest battle of my last two years mentally. Is I go through these waves where like a week, I don't care at all. I go aheah, it's okay. Then the next week I'm like, well, it's good to care, and like let's talk to these people. And then the next week I'm like why are they saying this? Like I'm almost in a weird state of manicness, you know, for the last like two years dealing with people who troll me on Reddit and YouTube and the internet.
Speaker 3: So this is my question.
Speaker 1: Do you find that there are patterns in terms of what you care about and what you don't. Is it people you respected who say something negative, or is it do they actually found a hole in your game and you think they identified a real problem. Because for me, I feel like if people are just making generic comments, then I don't it doesn't bother me. But I do find that if they pinpoint something that maybe was a little weak, like maybe I delivered something admit an incomplete answer, or there was something with the way that I framed something up that wasn't good, or something my appearance or set was off, and I think they're right, then that does affect me a little bit. And it's one of these things where it's harder to disassociate if I feel like there might be some truth to it, but there's no truth to it, then I usually can kind of just just move on.
Speaker 3: But I do find I find it tough for them.
Speaker 1: People would think because I'm in a line of work where we call our subscription service at brightbart fight club, like we're here to fight with people. But it's the if I feel like I'm vulnerable at all, it doesn't feel good.
Speaker 3: I mean even being so it's right, that's the part.
Speaker 4: And I understand, yeah, is or that I'm trying to come to turn with. In fact, I reach out to others like hey, you getting a lot of hate on the internet. Yeah, And I go, good, I'm not alone, Like that's a nice feeling.
Speaker 3: I do have feelings. I do care.
Speaker 4: I don't like that people say and it doesn't matter. They're very often not right, you know. It's always a burner account. It's like you're balding. I'm like, yeah, I'm forty three years old. We're all balding. Right.
Speaker 1: Also I get that, I get exactly, you know, like it.
Speaker 4: Does even something as trivial as like that, or like they're like yeah you got a duy and you almost killed some people blah blah or whatever, like yeah, the whole internet knows I got a duy. This is not something I'm hiding.
Speaker 1: By the way, hilarious bit from You're stand up where you talk about how that's how you knew you were a celebrity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it doesn't matter to me whether it is true or whether it is trivial or what. I just can't understand how that's someone how that's how they would want to spend their time, is just saying these mean things that like, you know, oh, he wears his hat too low. You're like, why do you care about a Yeah, Like, like you're a grown man. You're creating a whole identity around a comic you've never met, Like this is your whole brand.
Speaker 3: How pathetic. They don't have then model, yet they're.
Speaker 4: Winning in the way that Like it is in the back of my mind going why does someone care what sweater I'm wearing? Like, like it's just so strange to me.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy you're sharing this because there are a lot of people who are in the public light for whatever reason, who I think honestly don't care, and I work with some of them, and your Brightbart I don't think cared at all. See Bannon certainly didn't care at all. My Leonopolis didn't care at all, Like these are all people I worked with closely. It was I don't think Ben Shapiro cared. In fact, I know Ben was saying that just I just get more subscribers. It's if he maybe cares a little maybe, but not a lot. And I do care a little bit personally, and I don't love it. And it's one of these things where I'm interested to see if, in this era of everything is so under microscope, are we going to alienate the next brilliant comic or director or even the next great politician because they're sensitive to so much of the hat And I get nervous about that.
Speaker 3: Or maybe that's just.
Speaker 1: The era we're in. You got to build up a lot of rhino skin. Do you ever feel just a little off some days? Well, maybe it is more to do with what's missing from your diet than what you're adding to it. We talk a lot about cutting things out, sugar, processed foods, junk, toxins, whatever, but maybe you're not getting enough of something. Whole foods contain phyto nutrients, natural plant compounds your body uses every day to function properly and Let's be honest, most of us are probably not eating They recommended ten servings of produce today.
Speaker 3: I don't think I am.
Speaker 1: That's why one of the best options on the market is Balance of Nature. They've got a vacuum cold process that helps stabilize with phido nutrients, so you're getting the benefit of real fruits and vegetables and you're getting in a capsule form. I love their whole system with fruits and veggies plus fiber and spice, forty seven ingredients of whole food nutrition. That's the best kind of nutrition. And their freeze drive snacks are great option too. If you're ready to fight phyt the good fight. Fight. You know, they have a play on word in here. It doesn't come to perfectly on radio, but you get to fight the good fight. Go to Balance of Nature dot com. Go to Balance of Nature dot com to subscribe. You save today, join hundreds of thousands of customers in one simple routine that truly is changing the world.
Speaker 4: I just I think that I don't ever want to be so hardened that I go I don't care, right, But if it's always going to be there, that's almost what you have to do. If it's always going to be there, right, So, like I'm a little conflicted because people go, oh, Jeff, they're just jealous, and I go, well, how arrogant If I just think they're jealous, Yes, Like now that's me suggesting that I have something that they should be jealous of. I like, no, they I think they just genuinely hate me, and that bothers me. I'd like them to not hate me. So I'm like, I don't want to be so hardened to it, but I also don't want to be so sensitive that I'm being a little pussy about everything this. So I'm in this weird where where I don't really know how to feel about it. I don't want to dismiss it as jealousy. I don't want to care too much, but I don't want to care not at all, and I don't I don't know where to be about all of that negative hate stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the hardest thing is to steparate. Is there a kernel of truth that we can learn from or is it just purely trying to harsh our vibe? And can we fight through that? Because it can't harsh my vibe, especially if I do something dumb. I got canceled for something that was sort of semi legitimate, like six or eight years ago, and it was it was brief. It's only a couple of days in the news, and some of the news was kind of positive.
Speaker 3: It could have been way worse.
Speaker 1: But I made a mistake and I didn't like making a mistake that everyone knows about, right, And I know you can relate to this, but it's the like, no, everyone knows I made a mistake, and I don't like making mistakes.
Speaker 3: It's just like anyone else.
Speaker 1: It's the I'm in a line of work where if I make a mistake, I have to admit it and talk about it on shows and stuff.
Speaker 3: But I don't like it.
Speaker 1: It was not fun, even though I think the way the media way overreacted to it, and I think that helped in a way. And it kind of makes you seem cool because it shows how people you get rise out of people.
Speaker 3: So it's not without a silver lining. I didn't like it. Now I'm publicly being pointed out.
Speaker 1: Hah.
Speaker 3: That is not a good feeling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it gets strange that it's very much like I don't know why.
Speaker 3: There's plenty of celebrities.
Speaker 4: I guess I think I wouldn't like, but I couldn't imagine writing a big thing to them, Like, I just don't get why anyone would want to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the picturing the person in their basement, and we know who they are, we know their trolls, Like, these are not people who have a scratched handicap because they'd be on the golf course. These are not people who are moving around a lot of money and you know, thinking about how they're going to get their next supercar, Like, these are people who are not confident, people who are struggling like themselves.
Speaker 3: And do you reply to them?
Speaker 4: They go, oh my god, you must be a loser to respond to me.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm like, that's what you think of yourself.
Speaker 4: You think so badly of yourself that me replying makes me more of a loser to even talk to you, Like, I just can't get my mind around it.
Speaker 1: The thing that my dad always told me that had the most effect on me was when he was disappointed. And so that's always the move. Like, if you ever want to criticize someone, this is to the audience. If you ever feel so compelled that you're going to take pen to paper to write, Jeff, why you didn't like his his his Cafe Nico batter you didn't like his pasta bit Like if you don't like that, say Jeff, this bit disappointed me.
Speaker 4: That might work maybe if they knew me, it might, but you know, strangers saying it wouldn't do.
Speaker 1: So this is where I feel like the if you have the ability to acknowledge that and to go through the mindset, how is this person? What could they be doing with their day? They feel compelled to rage on the internet?
Speaker 3: Crazy that that's where I lose.
Speaker 4: Also, I'd be friends with that guy if you just came and hung out with me. Like. That's the other part that I don't understand too, is like.
Speaker 3: Uh, like.
Speaker 4: I genuinely believe like I'm a nice guy, Like I would probably buy a drink for any of those people that are like talking trash if they just ever met me. The guy is actually a pretty nice guy. Like, I don't get what this what is the motive to Just.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had that interaction work?
Speaker 1: Because I've had a couple of those interactions where people think we would hate each other and then I'm kind of good, more good natured than they're pleasantly shocked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, happened all the time. Yeah, every night in my mean grade.
Speaker 3: The guy I thought I was gonna hate you, and you you're good. You're good. This was a good show, all right.
Speaker 1: So I know we're going way back, but I'm fascinated by this because I do think comedy is it is so relevant right now. So you're so you're at the club and this is a give me the version of your working on material night in LA and you're on the road. What's what is the what's the workday like for what? So you you show up to the club, but like are you crashing flash of people? Are you cramming? Are you going through bits in your head?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: When I get there, I try to not see anybody. Yeah, I don't want to see anyone. It feels like you've really broken the allure if they watch walking through, like with your bag and everything like, so like I always try to that's so right, not be seen until after the show, because sometimes people will catch me in the parking lot, like can we get a selfie?
Speaker 3: I'm like, what if the show sucks? What are you going to delete this? Yes?
Speaker 4: So I I always try to just sneak into.
Speaker 3: The club no matter what.
Speaker 4: He sucked tonight that selfie, you know, So I always I don't want to see anybody, And in the green room, I'm usually you know, putting a pen to paper a little bit kind of organizing what I might say, just in chunks or in bits, and then I smoke a cigar outside, usually in the back area, sometimes in the green room, and then we do the shows. I always have a meet and greet. The problem is not everyone wants to pay for a meet and greet or they don't care, so we allow them. Like if you just buy one piece of merch, you basically get to do the meet and green So then I shake all those hands and then we do that twice. And then at the end of the night, I'm not as excited to go out. I used to go out and drink with the audience no matter where I was at, and now it's become a little bit too much as far as like I'm being pulled in too many different directions, or people act weird. And then also like you're tolerance for drunk people lowers as you get sober.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And also now we're in an age where people are always trying to get viral and they can go viral for doing any and you don't even have to reply. They could just yell something insulting and if they like nail the delivery, then it's like the dunked on me really dunked on toastage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or like sometimes even just the optics of me being at a bar isn't great, you know, so be cause I am I'm a big I love being sober right happy about it, and but like so usually I'll try to hang for a little bit and then if it gets unruly, like I take off, you know.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I still like being around drunk people, and I my friends drink and do drugs and all that.
Speaker 3: But like I think that like my talish is just a little lower.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I leave pretty quick watching wrestling in my hotel and eat food.
Speaker 3: Very very very good day. And I love to see I love.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll follow you around one day, would be pretty cool to see you the Do you have a favorite venue size?
Speaker 3: I always like.
Speaker 1: Asking comics to talk to them because I feel like there are some people you feel like someone. Some people feel like they'd only be comfortable Mathson Square Garden, and then others they might be a huge name, but they probably rather do two hundred seats of just they feel like they're close friends.
Speaker 4: Do you want to hear my philosophy on this, please? I tell ever, I've never said it on a thing. Comedy is meant to be in a comedy club. It isn't meant to be at the beautiful Paramount theater. It isn't meant to be at the arena or the crypto dot com like, it's just not meant to be there. Do you know Broadway plays the reason they're not people don't stream and put it on YouTube, or they don't put it on NBC is because Broadway needs to be at a theater, and you need to see live theater in the live theater. There's a connect. When I grew up. When I grew up, I thought plays were gay. I was like, theaters gay, I'm not watching that. And then I went to like my first Broadway play when I was living in New York weeping. I was like, this is amazing. They're so talented. They're remembering all their lines and all their blocking and the costume changes in the set.
Speaker 3: It's phenomenalgree. Theater is a masterpiece.
Speaker 4: But there's a reason you don't video it and put it on YouTube or television.
Speaker 3: It's meant for that. Same with stand up comedy.
Speaker 4: You could start a special and be like, I turn it off after six minutes because it's not made for Netflix. Stand Up comedy is meant to be in a club that's that might be one hundred seats, that might be four hundred seats, but a comedy club, that's what it's supposed to be. Bert Kreischer my favorite example of this, and I love Bert, Love you buddy, if you're if you hear this, nothing but respect and love for you. But when you saw Burt Kreisler at like a funny Bone dude, there was nothing greater.
Speaker 3: It's magic.
Speaker 4: You feel like you're hanging out with this guy you've never met, but like you feel like you know him. Sure his shirt is off and he's making you laugh, and he's drinking and you're drinking with him in a way, and you're this idea that like, I know Bert, but I don't know Bert, but I know a guy like Burt, and I'm like Burt and like this magic. But that magic got so large that now Bert's at the arena and you paid fifty bucks to see Bert or sorry you paid fifty bucks to park, you paid two hundred to get to sit, and you're now watching him on a monitor and he's this big, he's down there and there's not this connection. It's not Bert's fault, but like, that isn't the format to see him. It doesn't work, It doesn't translate. You can't put a monster truck show at the comedy club, and you can't put comedy at the venue where the monster truck should be.
Speaker 3: And so now you start.
Speaker 4: Nitpicking Bert's material. You start, oh, I know I've heard this story or that joke. Maybe, isn't You were never nitpicking it when you were just hanging out and slashing beers with the boys at the Funny Bone, right, And that's because comedy is meant to be at a comedy club.
Speaker 3: And so I love clubs. I hope I never you know, I hope that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I obviously, if I ever get successful enough that they want me to do arenas, like that's gonna be great money. But you can point to this podcast with you say women, when you were with Alex, you said, comedy club, that's what it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: I do have to observe if you're at the rye An Auditorium this weekend, which is.
Speaker 4: Well on fifteen minutes with kid Rock. Yeah, I'm like literally popping on that show. That's not a Jeff Daies show.
Speaker 1: That's funny though, No, but I think that's so great. And I think that I talked about this with movies a lot, about how you really miss so much just watching at home. And I'm a guy watching ninety percent of my movies at home and just you miss some of them at the theater. Yeah, some are meant to be in a theater. I totally agree. I have a theater family. It's just like Broadway is one of the greatest art forms we had as a country, and it has completely been degraded for.
Speaker 3: What is it about the theater.
Speaker 4: Let me push back on that a little bit because I heard Tarantino recently rant about how one of the one of our movies, right, But he's also like he's he's he didn't really think that out very well, or at least in what I saw, it didn't seem like you did. It's like, have you seen how good our home TVs are? Now? Look at that thing usually that's just on pause behind you. That's like, like we have some of the best technology that's better than what a movie theater was in like nineteen seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Those of you who are missing the visuals, Jeff has done the whole show in a small radio studio in Ama seventy The answer, I've done it in front of the Griffith Park Observatory here in LA you could see it.
Speaker 3: This is good. We thought this one through Daniel, so this was this was a good call.
Speaker 4: What is the the WME movie experience is so much better than it once was. So it's not like we're not enjoying the movies just because we watched it on Netflix.
Speaker 1: So I think that it's the personal connection and seeing other people's reaction is I think part of.
Speaker 3: It next to strangers. It's a sixth sense, I think, I think so.
Speaker 1: I think that's probably, But for me, I'm more in that camp is the the second we got to the ten eighty p I've been to four pro sports events since then, Like which was you know, I was sixteen and my dad brought home a Sony Bravia forty inch TV, which probably costs as much.
Speaker 3: As the car.
Speaker 1: And I'm never going to pay for another Lakers ticket, Like I could see the reflection in the floor.
Speaker 3: You could see the reflection.
Speaker 4: Plays better than floor seats exactly.
Speaker 3: And I was like, that's it.
Speaker 1: I'm just watching from here, and movies are the same and you get the great sound system. But there is something about being with comedy particular. It does feel like.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why people laugh so much, because you're next to strangers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, that's what makes something seem more shocking. Yes, it's because you're like, we're talking about like this in society, you know, we usually talk about this behind closed doors, you know, Like you watch a murder on your movies, you know, and like you don't think anything's weird about that, but you wouldn't. Everything is a little more taboo when you're around strangers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm a guy who talks about my faith and family, and I am on a conservative radio station and on a conservative website, and I like a lot of transgressive entertainment, like a horror movie stuff like that. The stuff Tarantino programs at his theaters out here are unbelievable. I go to half my movies at his theaters, which are all revival theaters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he's picking more.
Speaker 1: Interesting stuff than what's being sent to the you know, the Regal Cinema is in Santa Clarita, California, Like, it's way more interesting.
Speaker 4: Also, if these directors and all these people have such a problem with the current state of movies, yeah, then start making good movies.
Speaker 3: Yes, stop remaking everything.
Speaker 4: Stop like, like I don't understand how, Like, maybe make a film in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Let's try that if you want.
Speaker 4: If you care about all this stuff so much, if you love like classic Hollywood, stop shooting in Toronto because you're gonna save a bunch of money. Yes, stop shooting in Atlanta and Detroit because you're so cheap. Like, if you have such a pride for Hollywood and classic cinema, maybe shoot something.
Speaker 1: Here what strikes me. And you could speak to this more than I can. I have some family and the peripheries of Hollywood, but not by any means, part of the industry at any meaningful level. I'm stunned by how there's no self reflection by the people whose industry, who people who are workers who have a career in Hollywood but are not big shots by any means. And when they book a big movie that does mean that they're going to leave their family for nine weeks and go to Winnipeg or go to Georgia, and they seem to be completely comfortable with this, and no one says, oh, we messed up. We did this to ourselves with the regulations and the taxes and whatever. The union pandoric, not to say all the private sector unions I'm generally okay with because it's them or the giant corporation.
Speaker 3: It's a tough call some days.
Speaker 1: But overall, Hollywood was in Hollywood and now it's not. And no one in Hollywood put their hand up in said mess it up?
Speaker 3: Can it up?
Speaker 4: They've messed everything up. And also this goes back to my early thing when I was saying to you, it's like, well, what's wrong with being a billionaire? What's wrong with the giant corporation? In fact, those giant corporations have so much money that they could maybe I don't know, shoot some things in Hollywood stop being cheap. If you're a giant corporation. Shop like, there's nothing wrong with a billionaire. There's something wrong with a cheap billionaire. There's nothing wrong with a guy who drives a Cadillac, you know, Bentley, whatever, it's when he doesn't tip the valet when he's when he's parking that thing, you know, So like just be be generous with these things, and so like, yeah, like I don't know when this happened, but Hollywood is a ghost. I went to the Universal Studios, took like a tour and they're like where the movies are made. You're like, no, it's not the old tour was like yeah, this is the set of back Draft.
Speaker 3: You're like old, Like how old is this? And they're like, yeah, this was from Honey, I shrunk the kids.
Speaker 4: You're like, what is that? How watch out job everybody. I'm like, this is dog cram.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really right.
Speaker 1: They really leading on stuff that's been fifty years ago, and no one puts their hand up and said this is sad.
Speaker 3: It's bad. Yeah, it's wor wrong.
Speaker 1: It's a big opportunity for guys like you people doing stand up. I guess the last one for now, Jeff and I would love to do this again from time to time. I think it's a really interesting guys. You're on a great trajectory, but you're doing all these cool different things. So you're on I see you and got failed that you're all over socials. You got a lot of big dates doing prager Ustaff. Do you have specific goals you're trying to accomplish? Is they just keep doing what you're doing, but bigger I'd.
Speaker 3: Like to do.
Speaker 4: I said this six years ago, I said it ten years ago, and it continues to be happy and so I'm very happy. I want to do exactly what I'm doing now for just a lot more money because I really love my life.
Speaker 3: I've got great friends.
Speaker 4: I as much as I talk trash about La and La County, like, I really love where I live. Sherman Oaks is beautiful, the weather's beautiful, the people are great.
Speaker 3: I just wish it was cleaned up, and you know, like I've got.
Speaker 4: Some criticisms, but I really love where I live and I and I really love stand up comedy and the scene. I just would like it to con I'd like to continue to be able to make jokes every night for a lot of people and make people happy, like that's what I like best.
Speaker 1: Do you think that comedy is going to continue this sort of upward trajectory within our culture.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm very optimistic about that. Actually, well, you know what my number one goal is to get a dog. I hope to have a giant house that I could afford to pay someone to watch the dog while I'm on the road.
Speaker 3: That is a big thing dog when you're on the road.
Speaker 1: I was on the road a week and a half ago, and my dog is still with my parents in law because I've not got down and not time the traffic pattern right to pick up the dog.
Speaker 3: And I missed that little guy.
Speaker 4: I know. Yeah, and that's what i'd like. I'd like a dog, you know, I think I can figure that out.
Speaker 1: Jeffdi dot com is a website.
Speaker 3: He's got dates. There's a special there.
Speaker 1: That's there all. It makes it easasy as possible. You could watch it. Did you have a you work on your special?
Speaker 3: Do you get anything? Two specials coming out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know where they're gonna land or what's gonna happen, but I've got two seventy minutes of comedy. If you guys come to any of my comedy shows, which you can find at Jeff doi dot com. If you go to the early show, it will be one hundred percent different material than the late show.
Speaker 3: So if you is that how you piece together the expect it for me, to remember it. And that's also the two specials.
Speaker 4: And so I also like the idea that if someone you know isn't tired of my voice, you can buy tickets for both shows and you'll get totally different stuff.
Speaker 1: That is so cool. That's very courteous of the audience. You really respect for the audience, which I really.
Speaker 4: And I love to write jokes, so this makes me a healthy It gives me a healthy way to do it.
Speaker 3: That's great stuff.
Speaker 1: And of course, Prigger You, the mockumentary I Hate Pegger You, which you can get now, which you will enjoy. And that's literally the half an hour TV show. Yeah, it's a quick watch and you will like it and you'll learn about my friends that Prager You.
Speaker 3: So it's cool over there.
Speaker 1: All right, Jeff, well done, my friend, Thank you, thanks for having you the man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, appreciate you.