Speaker 1: Life Audio of today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Do you play chess? And do you enjoy science fiction, either televised or written.
Speaker 3: I'm one of those happy atheist long time listeners. My question is, if you do believe in an eternity and if you believe in retribution from God for evil people? A, why bother punishing evil people? And B why be upset when someone dies there?
Speaker 4: If they're going right now, this is right?
Speaker 3: Think about our human life would be just a speck.
Speaker 1: In the ocean that's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs. I had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bible. Go to Dennis Prager dot com.
Speaker 4: I you know how much I've gone your calls and your emails. But the nature of my show is that I set the topic each hour of the fifteen hours except this one. Whatever you want to talk about, from my favorite cigar or pipe tobacco, to the meaning of life, religion, sex, beauty and politics, the show anything. This is your chance to call in one eight Prager seven seven six one eight p R A g E R seven seven six, which translates digitally to eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. It's completely unhelpful what I just did. I have deep content to talk show hosts who give the number fast. The self loathing I'm engaging in now is difficult experience one eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. Yes, indeed, what is on your mind? And now let us find out what that might be. Let's go to Hopkins, Minnesota and Bud on the Patriot. Hello, Bud, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 5: Hi, Dennis, Hi. I recently read the fifth Commandment, Honor your father and mother, and occurred to me that that was teaching gratitude, which suggested to me that it was implying that God is commanding us to be happy. And I was wondering if you would come in.
Speaker 4: On that we are commanded to be happy very specifically. But and I will get to that in a moment, but that the example you gave isn't one of them. Honor your father and mother is not a commandment to be happy, It isn't. It is a commandment to exactly as it says, give honor to your father, and mother. And when I teach it, it is I explain that we are we are never commanded to love our father and mother because either we feel it or we don't. But we can't be commanded to because there may be parents that are unlovable, right and so, but whether they're unlovable or not, or lovable or not, we still have to honor them, just as I stand up. I will never forget when Jimmy Carter came into my studio once for the show following mine, and I stood up because he had been president. I think he was the worst president of American history. I have no respect for him as a public figure, but he was president of the United States and I stood up. And this was after he was president. Even so, there is honor that you give positions. Your father and mother have a position, and that commandment is protecting. But that position of father and mother that has to be honored. Now there is commandments. There are commandments then you shall rejoice during your holidays. For example, is the Psalm said you should worship God and happiness. There is a very deep element of that. In fact, I raised this issue last hour, which is why you're calling right there. I guess you hung up, okay, and I am. I am going to pursue that I would like to know from you folks. Do you think that your religion commands happiness? Because I don't want to I don't want to say it right now because it's not it's not my task. But I know that there were religious traditions that emphasize happiness over others. There's just no question in my mind. Alrighty, Let's go to Ottawa, the capital of Canada, and Howard. Hello, Howard Dennis Prager.
Speaker 6: Okay, Now I called about a serious subject, the where do you get your values right? And I'm genuinely seeking here. I don't have a strong point of view. I come to this as I'm a Jew. I was raised without too much religion. I've come to study it a bit more as an adult. I'm particularly interested in the Mussar tradition of ethics teachings in practice. But here's my here's my issues with you know, I would I think I would like to believe values derived from the Bible or good values derived from the Bible. But here are my two problems. One is many scholars. You know, you can look at the Bible and say it unambiguously teaches that murderers must be put to death, and other scholars and clergy can look at the Bible and draw the opposite concludion.
Speaker 4: No, they can't. They can't that that. I fully acknowledge that there are areas open to interpretation. But nobody reading the the first five books of the Bible, known as the Torah, can say that they are that it is opposed to capital punishment for murder. It's the only law in all five books of the of the Torah. The only law that is in all five books is that murderers be put to death. It's stated by God. Whether you believe in God or not, God is quoted as saying that.
Speaker 6: How do you account for you know, clergymen, nuns and so on that show up at these visions for murderers on the night before.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you exactly how I account for it. Because I have said frequently that secular values have made more inroads into religion than religious values have made into secular society. These are very often people with secular values who wear religious clothing. Yeah, and it is very sad to me. The secular left is a very real problem to me. But the religious left is an oxymoron to me. It's a self contradictory statement to take the Bible seriously and be a leftist.
Speaker 6: Okay, but the fact remains that I guess it's very dangerous in the sense that you one must study a manual. The Bible is not as clear as say the instruction manual for your flash.
Speaker 4: Do it this, that's right. That's why it has to be you do that's.
Speaker 6: Right, with danger to interpret it learning.
Speaker 4: You're right. That's why I have devoted my adult life to teaching the Torah. I teach it verse by verse. I have about one hundred and fifty tapes on it. You are welcome to sample one through my website. But it is very painful to me that those insights are not made relevant to a lot of people, even by much of the religious community. I'm Dennis Prager. This is the yeah I started wrong. This is Dennis Prager. This is the hour where you, in fact make the set the agenda here and it is one A Praguer seven seven six. I'll go back to Ottawa in a little while, Howard, I want to get some other calls. In the meantime, let's go to anonymous we rarely do this, but she doesn't want to say anything since her husband might in fact hear her. So Anonymous, you're on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dennis, Hi, how are you?
Speaker 4: You don't even want to say your city?
Speaker 7: No, I'd rather not. Okay, my husband listens to your.
Speaker 4: Show, buddy might know your voice.
Speaker 7: I'm taking that chance.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 7: What would be your suggestion for somebody who their husband doesn't want to go to marriage counseling and you think that if you pressure or push even more that he's going to leave, Well.
Speaker 4: If your husband. If a husband will leave because the wife wants to work on repairing the marriage, then he has decided to leave. If I it's pretty self evident. I have told men. It is not always men, but it is more often men than I think. Wives who resist going to marital counseling. That is, in every case that I know of, the resistance of one for long enough period of time led to the end of the marriage. In every case that I know of, not know of an exception of somebody resisting and over long time the marriage just worked itself out.
Speaker 7: I'm going on my own right now. You don't think that's sufficient, Well.
Speaker 4: It's sufficient if you are the primary source of the problems, and that that could be there are I don't believe it's always fifty to fifty, but I believe.
Speaker 7: That's what he thinks, is that it's mostly my fault.
Speaker 4: Well, then let him hear that from then. Fine, then let it be vindicated at the counseling session.
Speaker 7: It has been. He did go one time with me, and and he thinks that the counselor's on my side.
Speaker 4: No, no, then he wasn't vindicated. I say, he thinks it's primarily you're the problem, right, but when he went it turned out that that's not what the counselor said. Then say, you know what, honey, let's find a counselor that you trust. That's fine. That sometimes happens. I think that there are I think that there are therapists who are biased in favor of the wife more than there are. I think many many therapists are not biased. But when there is bias, I think it is often in favor of the wife because she is more. Generally, women are more explicit about their more eloquent, more verbal about their problems, and the guy often sits there just with his arms folded.
Speaker 7: Okay, what do you do in that case? When he sits there with his arms folded that.
Speaker 4: You say, then let's go. We'll keep going till we find one that works. And if he says no, then he doesn't want to repair it. I mean, it becomes self evident. It's painful for me to say this to you because I but what other conclusion can one draw if if your toilet isn't working and you don't want to call a plumber, it means that you're prepared to live with a broken toilet.
Speaker 7: He thinks it's working, and I think it's.
Speaker 4: Not well that but marriages have to be thought of as working for both. It's not. There's no objective truth to the to that sort of thing. Both have to think it's working for it to work. And and and a session is a good place. It's a safe place to let everything out because there's a there's a person you both trust. If you don't both trust, you've got to find somebody else.
Speaker 7: And if he's petrified of the whole idea.
Speaker 4: In general, why is he?
Speaker 7: Because feelings are very difficult.
Speaker 4: That's right, and it's very painful for me to hear. But then then you know. That's why I'd love to talk to him. I go often. It takes a guy to convince a guy on these matters.
Speaker 7: Well, you're about the only one he'd probably listen.
Speaker 4: Well, I would be happy to I'm not kidding. I really would. And if you happen to uh, if you can send me an email, I'll even write it out to him.
Speaker 7: Would you really?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I would?
Speaker 7: All right, then I will.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you, You're welcome. God bless you to thank you.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 4: Alrighty, let's go to I believe it's Chris in the Cleveland on WCCD. Is that right, Chris? Yeah? Hi, Yeah.
Speaker 6: You frequently mentioned that you've lectured on all seven continents, including an Antarctica, and I had a picture of you in front of the penguins, and I was wondering exactly what it was you were lecturing.
Speaker 4: To them about. That's a fine question. Was why it took your call? There is an answer to that, and it's a little embarrassing. I spoke to them primarily about monotheism. ID how did they take it?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: If you look at the picture, you will notice maybe there are a hundred penguins, only one is actually looking at me. So I just it was a humbling experience. But Chris, it was the only way I could honestly say I had lectured on all seven continents, because while I did lecture on the ship off the coast of Antarctica, that's true. On Antarctic itself, there's nobody to lecture to, so I have to choose penguins. Okay, you're a good man, You're a good man. I really appreciate the question. Let's go to Los Angeles, California, k r l A, Greg Dennis Prager.
Speaker 3: Hi, Dennis, Hi, honor to speak with you, long time listen.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: I'm one of those happy atheist longtime listeners. I have to say, with all due respect to you and your listeners, I just I find religion completely irrational, akin to perhaps telling a child that Santa Claus actually really does exist. That's why we inculcate children so early. How are that? That's really not my question. My question is if you do believe in an eternity, and if you believe in retribution from God for evil people, A why bother punishing evil people? And b why be upset when someone dies if they're if they're going right now, this is think about our human life would be just a spec in the ocean.
Speaker 4: That's right, well and well. To the truly religious, it probably is a speck in the ocean. But to the atheist it's also a speck in the ocean. Either case, it's a spec. It's just for the atheist it's the only speck. But for both well, right, wait, for both the religious believer and the atheist, life is a spec in the ocean. The difference. The difference is the atheist believes it's only a spec and it just dissolves into the ocean, whereas the religious believer believes that there is something beyond the spec. But all right, fair enough, but so so the spec part is not relevant because we both believe that. But your question is a powerful one, and it is the reason I believe that when religions over emphasize the afterlife, people do in fact not act the way they ought to. I could not agree with you more in your supposition. I have spoken about it, I have written about it. I believe deeply there's an afterlife, but I also believe that concentrating on that can have a negative effect on the way people act, where you become very fatalistic, and there is a certain fatalism for example an Eastern religion. Look, I'm coming back in the next life, and you know whatever I come back, I'll come back now. Of course, they believe that you come back depending on how you act in this life, So there really is a reason to do good. I need to be absolutely honest here, but look at the Islamic militants and their belief. Oh my god, if you know you blow up enough innocent people, by golly, you'll have seventy two women service you when you arrive. I never quite understood what the women get they when they blow up themselves. But theological question will lead an answer to I have asked my whole life, why is the Torah silent on the afterlife? I'm a big believer in the Torah, and I have concluded that it wants us to be preoccupied greg with this life, even though there's no doubt in my mind that if there was a God, there was something after this life. It's just it's axiomatic. But you are right to pose that question, because I have seen that happen where people get so preoccupied with the next life they ignore a lot of what happens here and go to Dallas, Texas on case Guy, it's Tom. Hello Tom, Dennis.
Speaker 8: Prager, Hi Dennis, how are you doing all right?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 8: The question I had was, in recalling your past radio shows, you mentioned several different times I guess that you had studied communism. You'd measured in Soviet studies.
Speaker 4: That's right, and I was real.
Speaker 8: Curious about actually three things. First of all, why you chose that study in the first place, and how you felt about it as you were going through the studying process at the time, And how your own attitude and thoughts have evolved toward what you studied, you know, by the experiences that you had in your political thought.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a very good question, and I imagine some others might have won the same thing. First, you need to know I was never pro Soviet or pro communist. I always thought that both were evil. Why I studied it was because I thought it was incredibly important to understand the greatest threat to liberty at the time, which came from communism. I wanted to understand what made them think and why were so many in the West, especially among the intelligentsia, attracted to a doctrine Marxism that had led to so much evil.
Speaker 8: Did I ask you what you concluded about why the intelligency is so attracted to this insanity?
Speaker 4: Yeah? The fundamental the fundamental problem, I believe, and it hit me then and it was life changing, was the fact that they are radically secular and they want a religion, but they don't want it to be based on God, and so their religion became Marxism and that's that or some Marxist offshoot. People don't like to live without a methodology for understanding life, and if it will not derive from Christianity or Judaism, then it will derive from another religion or from a secular religion, and Marxism is a secular religion.
Speaker 8: Would it not also have to do with their sense of metaphysical and moral egalitarianism to make everything all values equal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they don't really hold that, They hold that their values are better. But yes, egalitarianism is also more equality has trumped liberty for the left. That is correct. That is one of the major differences between the Left and others is that equality is the god of the left right.
Speaker 8: Okay, thank you so much, Thank you, Dennis.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. By the way, my majoring in that, specifically at the Russian Institute at Columbia University at the School of International Affairs, was in fact the whole all the travels I did to communist countries. My study of totalitarianism has awakened me to so much of what happens on the left in non tootalitarian states. The efforts of the left in California right now to remove a little cross from the seal of the County of Los Angeles is to me the classic leftist totalitarianism. We wish to obliterate the Christian history of America. Whether your pro or anti Christian shouldn't even matter. You should be afraid of the fact that there are people who want to erase our history. Now it frightens me because it's also an erasure of values that I believe in. Even though I'm not Christian, I'm Jewish, but I believe in the Judeo Christian values that permeate this country. And I am afraid of anything that will substitute for anything.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless wisdom will continue right after this.
Speaker 3: Dennis Jennis Jennis, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: Do you have a question you've always wanted to ask Dennis Prager. Well, now it's your opportunity for upcoming Ask Me Anything episodes of Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. We're inviting you to leave Dennis a voicemail. He'll personally answer selected questions, and your question could be featured on a future episode. Whether it's about faith, morality, politics, history, relationships, happiness, for simply navigating life, Dennis would love to hear from you. Just call eight seven seven two four three seven seven seven six and leave your question. Oh and be sure to include your first name and where you're calling from. That's eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six. While we can't feature every question, Dennis will listen every voicemail. So call today you may hear Dennis Prager answering your question on an upcoming episode of Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. And thanks for listening and supporting Dennis Prager. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to your calls. This is the hour of the week where you set the agenda. I said it fourteen hours of the fifteen a week. Now you said it. Whatever is on your mind, anything that you want to ask, anything, anything, think about it. You ever curious about something about me or about life, from the meaning of life to my shoe size. I will take anything. If you think it's silly, you have a better chance to get on. But we will alternate everything. Ahlrighty, ladies and gentlemen. We go over to Cleveland, Ohio and John. Hello John on WCCD. Dennis Prager, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: How are you doing to day, mister Preger?
Speaker 4: Thank you, sir, thank you.
Speaker 2: I've always wondered two things. Do you play chess? And do you enjoy science fiction? Either televised or written?
Speaker 4: That's so interesting, because I don't particularly enjoy either.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 4: I feel terrible. It was painful for me to say I do play chess. Now let me explain why. For the science fiction. There is no good reason, because science fiction is great stuff. I am just here is Listen. John. I may I may be lowered in your esteem as a result of this, but I'm going to take the risk.
Speaker 2: I'm picking the phone.
Speaker 4: I know you are believe me, you think you know. I was thinking, should I tell John, oh my god, I love this stuff, or should I tell him the truth? So John, hold on, wait, I think I'm going to gather a little you'll be able to put some of your face back up. Okay, okay, the problem is not science fiction. The problem is fiction. I had to make a decision earlier in life, given the fact that I only have twenty four hours in a day, that where will most of my reading take place? And by definition it has to be in nonfiction.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're taking one for the team.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, what, You're taking one for the team.
Speaker 2: You're sacrificed.
Speaker 4: I am, I'm taking one for the team. That is correct. That's very kind. That's correct. I good. Now, as regards chess, it's a little more complex. When I was in high school, I actually bought chess magazines. Yes, and I would play some of the great matches. Really, but this is what I concluded in high school. He's already not happy. I concluded the following. The amount of brain effort it is taking me to play this game. I could probably learn Japanese and Chinese during that time, and somehow or other, I think that knowing Japanese or Chinese will bring me greater use in the in the in the mission that I have for my life than mastering the Sicilian in defense.
Speaker 2: Okay, but one day we have to play, because I must add you to my to my expensive, to.
Speaker 4: Your expansive list of those you've defeated. I assure you that I will be on that list. Oh, there is no question. However I do beat my eleven year old.
Speaker 2: Well that's well, that's good, and I actually I use a Reagan esque attack on people that tends to shake him up.
Speaker 4: Is that a new move in chess, the reagan esque offense.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, it's something I came up with during his deployment of the persing Nissiles in Europe.
Speaker 4: I see, I like that John's Reagan pershing defense. I like that. Well, if you want to write it up, John, send it to me. I'll play it on my board. Ones. All right, sounds like a woman. You're a great guy. Thanks a million.
Speaker 2: You're welcome a million.
Speaker 4: Hye bye bye. No, that is I gave. I gave it to totally level with him. I actually wanted a master chess, and I am asked. I know I could never master it, but I mean, really, you know, be good at it. So I would play these games, and then after I devoted all that energy to figuring out why the bishop went to Kingsrook six or whatever it was, and I think, well, what did I accomplish here? It's a game now, it's good to do. It sharpens the mind and all that, and I have nothing. Let me say something to be clear, there are a lot of things I don't do, but I deeply respect those who do it. The fact that I don't do it is not a reflection on my belief that it is not worthwhile. I mean, I fully acknowledge that I don't get into poetry, but I at the same time know it's my lack. It's my fault. Poetry is great, Dennis isn't for not loving it. I acknowledge that. So I don't walk around thinking because I don't play chess, Chess is not worth playing. For what I wanted to use my brain matter for. I preferred to learn and I didn't learn Japanese or Chinese, but I learned Russian, and in high school I started teaching it to myself. So the time that I would have learned, as I said, you know, a greater defense or some you know, was it the roy Blast tactics? You know, I used to know a lot of them. I could have learned a language. And as it turned out in life, knowing the languages that I've learned has has been a great, massive blessing in my life, not to mention, in my single days, a great vehicle to social success. Okay, we'll leave that point there for now, But that was that was true.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom will continue.
Speaker 4: Right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to more of your calls, Walnut, California. Jerry, Dennis Praguer, Hello, Jerry.
Speaker 9: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, yes, sir.
Speaker 9: My question for years, why does a symphony need a conductor? I understand the music's already written down, the musicians know their parts. Why do we need the conductor up there?
Speaker 4: Well, as it happens, on certain pieces, you don't really need a conductor. There are, in fact conductor less orchestras. Yeah, they do exist. But having conducted myself and lived a lifetime with music, first of all, there's somebody needs somebody, even if it's the first violinist has to set the tempo. I mean, how many how fast will we do the beats to the measure? Will it be one, two, three four or one and two and three and four? Somebody has to keep the beat.
Speaker 9: You're not saying that a conductor is a glorified.
Speaker 4: No, of course not. No, he's not a glorified metronome. But well he is in one sense that there is a lot of glory. And now let me tell you the glory part. The glory part, aside from the fame and stuff, is that, for example, I remember, I mean, and I'm hardly I'm I'm not even in the realm of the great conductors, but I at least I know some of the things that they have to do. For example, when I conducted a local orchestra in southern California, I would say, you know what, in this measure, can I please hear the horns a little more loudly? I like the theme in the horns, so violins, please please subdue it a little bit, would you? Then there is the emotion I want to extract out of the orchestra the most passionate playing that they can have. And so that is fifty percent or more. Of what a conductor really does is bring out the best from the musicians that they care about the piece, that they're not just going through the motions. That's the biggest, single thing. That's why some conductors are greater than others. They can all keep the beat, but some I remember the greatest compliment I ever received, because there's so much more that professional conductors know that I do. But the orchestras that I worked with said to me, you know what, you got the folks to play their best because it was so clear how much I loved the music and cared about it, how it wasn't me as an egotist, but in service of Heiden or Mozart or Tchaikowsky and whatever it was. And that's what a leader does. You bring out the best from those those that are following you. So there is a huge amount that a conductor does, and to the extent that I could tell Jerry often within two minutes of a piece, is this a great conductor or not? In fact, that's my favorite thing to do, is to hear a piece, not knowing the conductor and then say whether I liked it or not, great question. That's exactly what I like. Alrighty, let's go to some more of your calls, whatever it might be. On Chris in Los Angeles on eight seventy Carol like Dennis Prager.
Speaker 10: Hello, I love to hear your talk. Dennis.
Speaker 4: Thank you. It's a good thing because if you didn't, I'd be out of a job.
Speaker 7: True.
Speaker 10: Before I ask my question, I wanted to tell you months ago you talked to somebody by the name of Sergei who is from Russia, and you said that Russian was your favorite accent mine too.
Speaker 4: It is the best. It is absolutely the best. There is nothing that is not close to Russian.
Speaker 10: They don't have a word for a and or the, so I go to a store.
Speaker 4: That's right, they don't. That's correct. But you know what a lot of languages don't. Hebrew doesn't either. Okay, no, No, Hebrew has the it doesn't have a. It has the, but not a and. That's true. Russian doesn't have V or A. That is an interesting point, right, Okay, go.
Speaker 5: Ahead my question.
Speaker 10: I have a friend who has a bought a Saint Bernard. She named her Hannah said the name is built the same forward r H A N N H right, and what is the word that what your your vocabulary is so good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The word for a word that is the same backwards and forwards is palindrome.
Speaker 8: P A L I N D O M E palandrome.
Speaker 10: Yes, thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Now wait before you hang up, I will give you a whole sentence. That's a palindromes. Madam, I'm adam, all right, okay, it's clearly boulder away it boulder over. It is clear. That was about as unexcited irresponse as I have ever received. With the build up that I gave, I have to there was a humbling moment for me. I thank you because I can use it as I guess a lot of people can. Riverside, California is another great one. KR. Let's see Caro LH Or is that k Ti? It's k THI yeah, k Ti of course. Hi Terry, Hi.
Speaker 11: Dennis, just wondering what is what are your feelings? Or better yet, have you studied the ancient practice of astrology?
Speaker 4: This is gonna bother half my listeners. I do not dump on astrology. I do not live by it. I do not tend to consult it. But I have read about it, and I do not utterly dismiss it, and I do not believe that it takes away from God's governance of the universe. To believe that it may be true. I'm agnostic on astrology. I am not a rejector of its possibilities, and I believe that it is wrong to say that it takes away from God's governance of the universe. In fact, to me, if there really is an influence of the constellations, because of what constellation I was born under, that argues for there being a transcendent God to begin with that, because not everything is then explainable just by you know, genes and environment. So I don't have a problem. I find the stuff. I find it interesting, but you know, but it will not compel the way I live my life, right, and I.
Speaker 11: Don't see it as evil as some people. You can see anything as evil.
Speaker 4: That's correct, and anything could be used for read's that's well said. And did I surprise.
Speaker 7: You you did?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I thought so, I thought.
Speaker 11: Yeah, But I'm very happy with you with your opinion. Your opinions, Well.
Speaker 4: That's very sweet, Terry. I'm delighted to hear from you. We are to do an hour on astrology. We really should, because I'd like to answer some of the objections that I think and that I respect, but I don't agree with. We'll be back in a moment.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 4: All right, everybody, this is Dennis Prager, and this is the hour that you set the agenda. Let's go to as many calls as possible. We'll go back to Ottawa now and Howard Dennis Prager.
Speaker 6: High, Oh, I'm back. Yes, here's my other question. I'm I'm an agnostic Jew. I would like to I would like to believe in God, but I can't help thinking when I look at the tore laws, not the not the sanctification laws about you know, don't mix wool and linen, I mean the laws of men to men, like don't murder, don't steal, and so on, I can't help thinking. Look, couldn't it have been that some wise sage or sages of the past just looked at the world and said, you know, if I steal, even if I can get away with it, what if everyone did that, society will will decay? And they recognized from reason that that it doesn't make sense to steal, and why.
Speaker 4: Didn't people recognize from reason that it was wrong to sacrifice their children? It was universal till the Torah came along.
Speaker 6: Perhaps I don't know, Maybe maybe it was universal, Maybe it wasn't it was.
Speaker 4: It was it was trust me, I mean, if I'm not going to lie to you, it was every in every ancient society that we have throughout the world. There was. So that's a good example of obviously reason didn't lead. And I have a chapter in my first book, the book Got I wrote on Judaism, the nine questions people ask about Judaism exactly on why reason is not sufficient? And I'll give you one example, And since you're a Jew, I think it'll strike you as particularly strong. There was no rational reason for a non Jew to save a Jew during the Holocaust in Europe. Reason alone would have suggested not to risk one's life for a total stranger. And it took the risking of a life to save a Jew in the Holocaust. If the Nazis found you hiding a Jew, they killed you. Now, why is it rational? And the people who did it? And I have studied, I've read every book on survivors that I know exists, not on survivors, on rescuers. Not one ever gave the answer why did you do it? Well, that was the rational thing to do. It was the right thing, It was the good thing, it was the religious thing. I thought I was doing what God wants, whatever it was, but it wasn't reason. Reason doesn't tell a kid who is in a classroom where ninety percent of the kids are cheating on tests not to cheat. There's no great rational reason when everybody else is cheating for you not to cheat. There are moral reasons, the reasons of character. They are a whole host of reasons. Oh God, I would love to spend a lot of time talking about this with you. Howard it is. But I'll tell you I've written and I've given talks on exactly these issues, and only because they're not free, I feel funny recommending them to you. But God, I beg you to avail yourself with some of that stuff. Thank you for your.
Speaker 1: Call tomorrow on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 4: This is the Ultimate Issues Hour. Every week, this hour is devoted to some great issue of life. It is an extremely important subject. Hence it qualifies for the Ultimate Issues Hour. So what is it? Political correctness is? And I'm giving my own understanding of it. If you have a different one, you are certainly welcome to offer it. But it is essentially the inability to state certain things, certain truths. See, that's the key thing here, certain truths because they may offend certain people or certain groups or there are two elements to political correctness. It might be deemed offensive by some members of some groups. And the other definition is it might be painful for some people to recognize. There are two separate categories. They may be related. One is hurtful, the other is or offensive if you will, and the other is just painful. And I will give you examples. Please understand that political correctness must entirely be a matter of truth that can't be said. Lies that are offensive, lies that are painful, can't be said not because they're offensive, not because they're painful, but because they're lies. All right. That's the issue here, and that is instrumental to the whole discussion. It's going to be a difficult hour to do because by definition I am going to offend certain sensibilities. My intent, let me say, at the outset is zero to offend. Why would I want to do that. It's pointless, it is, It just increases tension. I have no desire for it, not the way I conduct my life or my show. But it is inevitable to talk about political correctness that if you give examples, somebody who is politically correct will be offended. So let me tell you in advance, that is the last thing I wish to do. I gave an example. We talked about this once when I spoke about stereotypes. So the issue about there are two issues about stereotypes, not whether they're offensive, whether they are true, and whether you apply it to every member of that group. All right, that's the question. And number one is it true? And number two is the general Is the generalization true? But number two, do you apply it to every member of the group. That's totally wrong. That's totally wrong. That's the reason you can live with stereotypes and not be a bigot. You can say in ja general X or Y about a group, but that doesn't mean that every time I meet a member of that group that applies. That's everyone is an individual.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager visit Dennispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lecturers, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.