Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale Hillsdale dot edu or I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listener to the Hilldale dialogues, all of them at que for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hilldale Warning, Glory and Evening Grace. Welcome to the Big Weekend Pod America. I'm Hugh Hewett. I'm going to lead off the podcast today with my monologue from Friday which opened the program about losing your temper when people just hit you from the side, I mean just come out of nowhere and hit you with the side. But I want you to be assured that though it's a monologue, we got a great regular Big Weekend podcast lineup ready to go and that includes that includes Eli Lake from The Free Press, Charles CW. Cook from National Review. We've got Big Ben Dominates from the Big Ben Podcast coming.
Speaker 2: Along as well.
Speaker 1: And I think I'm going to go back and find one of the highlights of the week, which is my interview with Captain Mark Vandroff about United States Navy shipbuilding. We did a three segment interview. It's about what the President laid down on shipbuilding and I want everyone to hear that, so we'll append that to the end of the Big Weekend Pod. Might be ten minutes longer than normal this weekend, but I assure you every minute is worth your time. Have a great weekend this summer, still a lot of summer ahead. Don't let it end early. Enjoy summer to the fullest and listen to today's Weekend Pod Morning, Glory and Evening Grace America. A great weekend to you. It usually begins with me u q it on the Qwitt Show. Welcome. Let me begin with breaking news on Friday afternoon, order entered by the Chief Justice John Roberts upon consideration of the application of Council for the applicants, the response and the reply filed there too, it is ordered that the preliminary injunction entered on April sixteenth, twenty twenty six, by the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, case number one twenty five CV for three one six, is hereby I stayed pending further order of the Chief Justice or of the Court. The construction on the East Wing continues. Big win for President Trump, big win for the Constitution, big win for the security United States, big win for a coherent standing doctrine. Though I do not want to explain it to you at this point, it's a big win. And I've been talking to riting about it all week long. Today the big guns came in former Attorney General Bill Barr in the Wall Street Journal, former National Security advisor and superb lawyer Robert C. O'Brien at Fox News making the same point, you just have to update the East Wing. And we don't want to talk too much about what's below the East Wing, but what's below the East Wing is vitally important to the national security. And the ballroom on top of it has got to be not only big enough for the biggest events that need to be held there, but big enough to absorb and dissipate hits upon the Executive Mansion in its grounds. Rit O'Brien in The Wall Street in the Fox News read Bill Barr, good case, good decision. Okay, Part two of the opening monologue. I don't like to lose my temper. I try very hard not to. You know, good Catholic boys, you go through Catholic education, you're taught don't lose your temper. You're taught a lot of different things. Twelve years of Catholic school and good Catholic practice. You're taught a lot of different things about how to make arguments and win arguments, how to play fair, and when to be righteously indignant. Happens, sometimes happens. I've been on broadcast for thirty seven years. I count on my one hand number of times I have been indignant and angered. Boy oh boy, Another occasion arose, Another occasion arose. I'm trundling this more warning. I'm pretty calm, getting my ten kN thanks to my relief factor, and along comes well you should hear it, got number six thanks.
Speaker 3: One last thing.
Speaker 4: This is particular for our friend Hugh Hewitt, who of course is a lifelong Cleveland Browns fan. He lives and mostly dies with the Cleveland Browns. And we're now what two weeks away from Hope springing eternal. In six weeks from now, we'll have to express our condolences for what I imagine is going to be another oh and five.
Speaker 1: Or oh and six start.
Speaker 4: But it gets worse for poor Hugh and his beloved Cleveland Browns. The unveiled a stadium in graphics six. What the hell is that?
Speaker 1: For real?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's your stadium.
Speaker 5: Did Darth Vader design this thing?
Speaker 6: So it looks like.
Speaker 7: Darth Vade designed the like Las Vegas Raiders one. You know that that at least looks kind of what is that?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 4: So for our audio only listener, what it looks like is that somebody had built this stadium and then hit it with a sledgehammer and it just sort of broke into pieces.
Speaker 7: Like instead of building a stadium that it was like, you're given seventeen triangles, build a stadium now, Like, I don't even know architecturally how this works, Like what is holding any of this up?
Speaker 5: It looks like trash.
Speaker 7: But like you see this on the skyt well, I mean it's Cleveland.
Speaker 8: They've got one triangle for every quarterback on the roster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do not.
Speaker 7: Have a starting quarterback and they also do not have Miles Garrett this season playing in a home game.
Speaker 5: I do think they made a really smart design decision here in the stadium. Well, if you look at this the profile of this model, clearly the stadium must be built into the ground. They've shoveled into the dirt to build the stadium into the ground, which I think is smart because Cleveland is a place where dreams go to die.
Speaker 8: See that was a good one.
Speaker 4: Mistoid wine mistake on the lake, baby, good one. That's what it is, no question about it. Well, I believe it or not. The thing that you're looking at for our YouTube audience is two point six billion dollars.
Speaker 9: Wow. Wow, it seems like a man.
Speaker 2: It sounds like Shaun Watson's contract.
Speaker 4: I think I think Pablo Pledge Scubar could probably reprice some of that stuff because he's got a lot better deal than whoever's building that stadium.
Speaker 1: Unbelieved. So that was a drive by. I was just trundling along this morning, minding my own business, listening to the Ruthless Podcast as I want to do on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday to the Fellows. It's an R rated edition. I want to warn innocent ears. Not for the young. But I'm I'm just out of nowhere. I'm Hugh Hewett and and like they get out of the car and they knock me down and they kicked me around for I think it's Ashbrook. Ashbrook is a Bengals fan. I think he led them. And then there's a Vikings fan in, a Broncos fan and a Colts fan. It's a it's a bad mix of fan bases. I mean, it's really a criminal group of There's not a Raiders fan in there, but they probably have.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Wolf behind the camera is probably a Raiders fan. So I just I kept my I will not lose my temper again. I won't. I'll simply know that come the end of twenty twenty seven, we will see who laughs. Also want to know my last day simulcasting on c SPAN. I want to thank them again. I have been on c SPAN all week and I this morning Howard Mortman posted a clip of an interview that the one and only Brian Lamb did with me on Q and A thirteen years ago. I want to play that clip for you and then tell you a little bit about c SPAN cut number two.
Speaker 6: Why do you spend this much time on the radio with all the background, your Harvard background, your Michigan background.
Speaker 10: I think radio is the longest in the best form of media that's left.
Speaker 9: What we're doing right now is no hour.
Speaker 10: Long conversations unprecedent only c Span does long form conversation anymore.
Speaker 9: You and Charlie rose A think, guys, I know.
Speaker 10: Who read books the way that I read books in order to talk to the authors seriously. And it's tremendously revealing when an author has had their book read these days, because they don't get many people who've actually read their books and know what they're talking about with page notes, and it's so rewarding to them that I get a great deal of satisfaction of an author who says to me, in fact, the highest compliment is that's the best interview I've had on this book tour. Just got it from Charles Crothammer and love the interview on Things that Matter his new collection of essays, some of which are old but is autobiographical.
Speaker 9: You know that makes my day.
Speaker 10: So I like radio three hours is an abundance of time and I can do so many different things.
Speaker 6: Where specifically would we find you sitting every.
Speaker 10: Day in Irvine, California, I have a studio or k LA in California, I have a studio, and when I'm.
Speaker 9: In Washington, DC, the Herritage Foundations lets.
Speaker 10: Me use a studio, but my own studio, my own personal studio is a very modest, probably eleven hundred square foot, three rooms.
Speaker 9: With a producer in front of me, Dwayne, an engineer Adam on my left.
Speaker 6: So the traditional radio setup, and what time of day do you do it?
Speaker 9: Three to six in the afternoon, West Coast time.
Speaker 6: Biggest phill that you have nationwide, it's got to.
Speaker 10: Be New York City AM nine seventy or CAERLAAM eight seventy in Los Angeles.
Speaker 9: So New York and Los Angeles are the biggest radio markets in the world.
Speaker 6: How long have you done this?
Speaker 9: I began radio. That's a tricky question.
Speaker 10: I began radio in nineteen eighty nine for KFI. I began my syndicated show on July tenth, two thousand. So I've been doing my syndicated national show for I Guess the fourteenth year.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 6: So you got a degree at Harvard and went to University of Michigan.
Speaker 9: I get a law degree.
Speaker 6: And I understand you teach a chapman, you're part of a law firm. You have this show. How can you do all this?
Speaker 10: I treat my life like college. When you go to college, you have a schedule in your head. You know what you're doing on Monday, Tuesdays, Wednesdays. Well, I'm at the law school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm in the studio every afternoon. I met my law firm Monday, Wednesdays and Friday, and then I travel quite a lot, and I juggle. No one gets to do exactly what they want, but I get pretty close. I've been very blessed in that regard to always say to people, like the dean of the law school who hired me, or Jim Dody, who built Chapman University, I'd love to teach here. Can we work it into the parameters of my life? And they said yes? And Ed Atsinger allowed me. He's the man who founded Salem Radio Network along with Stu Epperson, who allowed me to build the studio in such a way that I could both teach and practice law. So people have been very accommodating, and I've learned to always ask for what makes the most sense for me, and people will usually work their way around it.
Speaker 1: That was Brian lamp the guy asking the question best interviewer in America? But I want to you know, there's Susan Swain, There's Peter Slann, there is of course, Howard Morton, who posted that remarkable walking talking library of c SPAN memory, John mccartial, Steve Scully, Greta Bronner, pedro Etceavera, John mccartial. These people have done Q and A in Washington Morning Show. What's the name of the Washington Morning Show. I can't remember it right now, but it's a fabulous group. They are genuine conservatives in that they're conserving an institution of argument, debate and discussion. They're conserving publishing. And if you're not, you can keep watching me next week on SNC. We're on Fast TV, Pluto, rok Roku, Amazon, Samsung every afternoon three to six on the Sale News Channel, SNC dot tv as well, hheweit dot com watch now, or you can listen on the Salem Radio Network or any of our great affiliates from Connecticut to California and north to south. But I salute c SPAN. What they're doing is amazing. I hope they it's in their forty seventh year now or forty eighth, and when they have their fiftieth anniversary, I hope there's a big party because everybody in Washington, or as James Lilac said earlier this week. Ce SPAN is the weather channel for smart people. I'll be right back, stay tuned, procom back America, as is my want on the wen. Eli Lake is with me. Eli is with the Free Press. He's the host of the Breaking History podcast, which you should like and subscribe to. Always excellent when it drops, and Eli knows Israel and Iran and the war better than just about anyone. Eli, let's start there. Economic d Day is coming Monday, but we've got a preview on Friday when the UAE cut off foreign exchange with Iran. Now they're relying on Turkey. What can Scott Bessen do on Monday to even further tighten the screws and the impact that's having on Iran.
Speaker 11: If he announces and then the Twittery Department enforces secondary sanctions on people buying the illicit Iranian oil, and that would be significant. But my concern here is that, you know, a lot of the President's threats, at least militarily in the war have just been faints or bluffs, and in order for this to be effective, it will have to be a sustained effort over a period of time in the run up to the midterm elections, and as we've already seen in terms of how the market has reacted, that's likely to mean that the price of oil is going to spike and the price of the pump is going to go up. And if Trump is motivated by trying to stabilize the oil markets, I just hope that he sticks with it. That's my one concern.
Speaker 1: Okay, oil dropped down below eighty seven dollars a barrel today. It's a down day for oil, and part of that is probably.
Speaker 11: Though whatever when the story initially dropped, it went up.
Speaker 1: I think now it's back down. And I think that's because not long after that story came out, came a second story to source, to anonymous administration sources that more than a thousand ships have left the straight orror moves in the last two months. We are running operation free and we're just doing it sub rosa. Moreover, the pace of construction of pipelines is kind of staggering, and you may have already opened a second one. Again. No one's talking much about this, but I thought we'd be in for a hundred and twenty dollars well, not up to the Biden level, one hundred and forty five but I thought we'd get to one hundred, didn't you. Eli.
Speaker 11: Yes, And this is where you have to credit Trump in a sense for the thing that I just kind of criticized him for, which is that he has managed to keep the price of oil kind of I mean, it's relatively stable, or at least it hasn't spiked, you know, too high. And in that respect, he's managed to do that despite the war. And now I think you know the genius of economic d day. The genius of this approach is that again it will give the US and its allies an opportunity to restock the much needed missile interceptors and precision guide munitions that were running very, you know, perilously low during the combat activities. So that's another advantage to this approach, which is that the economic pressure can buy time to restock our munitions.
Speaker 1: Now, the President did an interview with Michael Cohen which is aired in part I'm not going to play it now, it's too long. But he see how he would do it over one hundred times if he had to do it again, strike Iran, begin this to stop them, he would do it one hundred times over. He couldn't let it happen, and at the same time, Turkey got into it with Israel this week. What did Israel do? Because the Turkey is becoming a very great It's been a problem for decades, but now it's becoming a great problem for us. What happened there.
Speaker 11: In the in the in the standoff with Israel. Yes, I you know, I feel really bad, Hugh. I have been focused on a big feature that'll be coming out next week on on on on domestic issues. So you fill me in.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Israel struck a base in Syria, which Tish deployments, and Turkey's upset, but Israel said, we told you it's coming. We're not going to let you do this, and I think Israel's in the right. Turkey can't go into Syria.
Speaker 11: Oh, I mean the Turks have been I mean, the rhetoric that has come out of Erwan and the Foreign Minister's mouth as just outrageous at this point. And the fact that they are still a good standing in NATO, I think is a greater threat to the Alliance in many ways than Trump's efforts to try to get the European countries to sort of pay their own share. So in that respect, I would. I would, I would say that the Turks need to kind of But the problem is that this is in the context of, you know, Trump has really cozied up to Ertawan. There was recently the approval of the F thirty five sales. So I think they're getting mixed messages, and it would be nice if there was a consistent message from Washington, because I think that these kinds of teta TETs could be avoided with a strong warning Trump and the White.
Speaker 1: House approval on the F thirty five that was walked back. Eli, you just you tease the story. What are you working on?
Speaker 11: I just filed it. It's got to go through at its. But I I did what I considered be a pretty deep dive on how APAC, which is the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, is really having probably its deepest crisis, particularly within the Democratic Party. And what I try to do is sort of tell the history of this moment where you know, you now have factions, if not maybe half of the Democratic Party maybe more, are now you know, very hostile to what is an organization comprised of American citizens that's been around now for more than seventy years, that has been there to push for the US Israel Alliance and and it's really about the future of of the of the Democratic Party. Will it become like Jeremy Corbyn's Labor Party. And I think sort of the story of APAC, how it's tried to fight back with you know, targeted sort of ad bys within primary races is an underreported story. And what I try to do is sort of tell it and sort of what happened and kind of what happened to what used to be this bipartisan consensus which I'm sure you remember, you you know, really wasn't that long ago where it was not controversial to say that you supported the US Israel Alliance.
Speaker 1: The only time I interviewed Joe Biden was an a PAC conference where I broadcast from the lobby and he addressed it on the inside, and he stopped by and we talked about how great Israel was. Let me ask you this. Ram Emmanuel's old rabbi appeared next to Mike Rodgers in Michigan yesterday saying to the Jews in Michigan, I will not vote for abdul and you shut what do you make of that?
Speaker 11: That is really this is the thing, is that we are starting to see in the in the Michigan race for the general what you know, can pro Israel democrats in that state? Can the Jewish Democrats in that state hold their nose and vote for Ol Sayed? And what is El Sayad willing to do? So far, he hasn't been willing to do much to try to win those voters back. And it I can I try to, let's be empathetic. You try to think about it from the respective of a Democrat. Would you rather potentially have control of the Senate and which is very important for their agenda and what they believe is kind of holding Trump accountable? Or would you allow in somebody who I think really is a level of a level of magnitude worse than any kind of lawmaker roup scene in terms of hostility to the Jewish.
Speaker 1: State that should think because it's he's a Hassan Piker's surrogate. Okay, Hassan Piker is not an Ol Sayads surrogate. Al Sayeed is a song Piker surrogate who is a radical, is a racist, misogynist, homophobic radical, and he uses the language of violence, and El Sayeed is his messenger.
Speaker 11: And by the way, and also anti American. It's not just about Israel, oh, anti white American, anti.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Eli Lake. I look forward to the piece and the Free Press. You ought to be a subscriber at THEFP dot org and follow Eli on x at Eli Lake. I'll be right back with Charles c. W. A. Cook. Stay where you are, Welcome back in America. I'm Hugh Hewett, joined by Charles C. W. Cook, Senior writer for a National Review. Charles, I know you're a music of FI sionados. I want to test your music knowledge. I have a special theme song that leads into a special show that I want to discuss with you. Can we queue it up please?
Speaker 12: Adam Charles said, if you coach, you have any idea what that's from ACDC?
Speaker 1: Right, yes it is? And where has it recently been employed as bumper music and theme music for a production?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Sas Rogue Heroes. Sas Rogue Heroes is a show I was introduced to by my son and I started watching it. Think it's about the sas in the Desert Campaign of nineteen forty one. Star is a fellow from Oxford. Stars a bunch of lunatic Scots. A lunatic Irishman, a lunatic Englishman. It's a and they throw American in there just for fun. Have you seen it yet?
Speaker 13: I haven't, but your lost recommendation Ludwig was fantastic, so I'll have to check it out.
Speaker 1: I think you will like rogue heroes. May not be for the smalls. All right now, I'm gonna threw one hundred and eighty on you. Are you a fan of Russell Kirk because he divides the Conservative House.
Speaker 13: Sometimes I am a fan of Russell Cook. I don't always agree with Russell Kirk, but as I always tell people who ask about National Reviews internal disagreements, we exist as a magazine both to host debates within the right and to put out an editorial line. And obviously the internal debates in which Russell Cook participatesd were crucial in forging conservatism.
Speaker 1: So I bring him up because last week in this space, Matt Contnetty, we were talking about American constitutional law and how I teach it, which is, you got to know the Jews, the Greats, the Romans, and the Brits before you get to seventeen eighty nine and even seventeen seventy six. He said, well, that's The Roots of American Order by Russell Kirk, and I said I didn't know that, and he said, oh, yes, I've ordered it, and I may have read it decades ago. But I started to reread The Conservative Mind in between, and in the course of that I read The Conservative Mind the part about Disraeli and Conservatives of imagination. Do you remember that, Charles.
Speaker 13: So it's funny you mentioned this, because this is one of the books that made me a conservative. And I was given it by a friend of my dad's in France, of all places. I think he was reading it on vacation when I was about, I don't know, eighteen, and I read the whole thing back to front and I loved it. But I can't remember that, so I'm gonna have to reread it was twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, his argument about Disraeli. I've always loved is Israeli. First book that Richard Nixon ever gave me in nineteen seventy eight was Lord Blake, Robert Blake's Disraeli, and I read it, and I've always loved Disraeli since then. But I don't remember Russell Kirk writing this, because I probably read it forty years ago. Maybe fifty years ago saying Disraeli israelly. Udn'tfit a conservative. He's not a philosopher. He's a diplomat, he's a politician, he's a writer. But what he does is conservaive institutions. He's for the Crown, he's for the church. It's for England. And I bring this up because we're on c SPAN right now and it's a very it's a triangular pool shot, and I began thinking about that's what c SPAN has been doing for forty seven years. They're preserving the American tradition of debate, argument, book, conversation, serious stuff. As Lilac said earlier on the show this week, it's the weather channel for smart people. Do you like c SPAN?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 9: I do.
Speaker 13: I've done a whole bunch of stuff. We's got great questions on c SPAN. I think I went on when my book came out. I went on various cover stories I've written for National Review, and you get the coolest and left and right.
Speaker 2: It's always been a good channel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so this brings me down to what they do. They allow American debate to breathe on Washington Journal and throughout the day. Right now, the DSA has arisen, and this is what I really wanted to get to you, and we'll talk during the break. And on the other side, the DSA is a French revolutionary movement. Do you agree with me about that? They're not the glorious Revolution of the American Revolution, They're the French Revolution. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're Jacobins.
Speaker 12: Absolutely Well, explain for the audience what Jacobin means.
Speaker 13: Well, the Jacobins were those who wished to start the world anew in the French Revolution. I mean, I always draw this comparison between the American Revolution and the glorious Revolution that preceded it in England and the start the world a New revolutions in France, in Russia and in China. The American Revolution was a conservative revolution of sorts. It wished to conserve much that was great and then build on top of it. The DSA wants to burn America. And I don't think that's hyperbole. They said they want to get rid of what the Senate and the Presidency and Congress and.
Speaker 2: The Supreme Court and the police and borders, and.
Speaker 13: I mean, really, they're not trying to protect anything.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to talk with Charles about that during the break and be back on the other side, whether or not this is an anchor around the Democratic Party's neck as I think it ought to be, is it. I'll be right back. Stay tuned, Charles C. W. Cook from National Review. We'll return. I'm back with Charles C. W. Cook, and as I want to keep continuity for the C Span audience, I'll do a separate subject here, Charles. An hour and a half ago, the Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts entered a stay of the permanent injunction entered by the District Court and upheld by the DC Circuit that would have halted construction on the East Wing. I have been writing and arguing for that or order by the Chief Justice all week long. Are you pleased with that? Is it on standing grounds if you are, or on the substant grounds of national security? As I've been arguing both.
Speaker 13: I'm more convinced by the standing grounds. I thought Naomi Raw was correct. I don't see how the plaintiffs have standing to sue in this case, and I think it matches that they don't. I think that is potentially a national security argument. I think that can be taken to Faugh probably wouldn't justify the complete construction of this project. But I just don't think that the plaintiffs have the standing to bring the case, and I think you should have been status a result.
Speaker 1: Well, you're right about the raw opinion on standing. However, there was a filing before the court from the Army Corps engineers, which it's a little too much detailed for the public record. In my view, the ballroom is intended to be built to absorb a first impact and then a second impact before it goes down. Maybe five floors are implied. That's not When I was in the White House staff in the eighties, there weren't five floors. They think there were four, So I think I went down deeper. It was built by a Roosevelt in forty two, and it's a Soviet era strength and bunker. Do you think that the courts have any oversight over what the commander in chief's headquarters are to be?
Speaker 13: Well, I don't think they have a free standing authority over it. There are some statutes in play here, and they have a right to mediate those statutes. As I say, I just don't think that the plaintiffs have standing, and I should say on the merits which is not relevant to the legal case. But on the merits, I have been in favor of this project. I think that we need this.
Speaker 2: If you look back.
Speaker 13: Through the history of this White House, it has been constantly improved, from porticas and balconies to the constructions of the East and West wing. Some of those projects we're done with Congress, some without, some with private money, some with public money.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 13: So this seems to me that this is a lot of this is because it's Trump. I personally wish you would talk about it less it's a matter of national importance and talk about other things. But I don't have a problem with the project. So I think it depends on the question. But I don't think the court has any power here because I don't think that there's a controversy.
Speaker 1: There is no country. And that's why I ask you for a Laman. You're very good on con law. And I'm just curious because the Constitution anoints him the commander and cheap, doesn't it imply he's got to have a place to run the army from sure.
Speaker 13: Sure, but I mean under my understanding of the Statute at state, because that he couldn't for example, Tad down the all of the White House without approval. He's allowed to engage in improvements, and you get in then to the question of what improvements me Now, I think again, this isn't really relevant because there's no standing, but I think that if that were litigated, this would count us an improvement.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I think I use the word yeah.
Speaker 1: If the planet hit it on nine to eleven, we'd still be rebuilding it. But stand by, we're coming back on the network to talk to essay. Welcome back. I'm Hugh Hewett, and welcome back, especially to our cheat Span audience. Charles C. W. Cook is still with me. Charles when we went to break, we're talking about the DSA for the benefit of the audience who's just tuning in. The DSA will double the size of the squad in the Congress, almost certainly this year because it's deep blue district and they have DSA affiliates running in Michigan, Maine with Troy Jackson, Florida with Angie Nixon, Texas with James Tall Rico, Minnesota with Peggy Flanagan, and of course the most radical of them all, Lsied in Michigan, who's actually a surrogate for Hassan Piker, who is a violent anti American, misogynist, homophobic, racist, and violent rhetoric. What should are the Democrats taking this problem seriously enough? Because Charles Schumer was out talking about a big tent this week.
Speaker 13: I don't think they're taking it seriously and off a tool. I think that they're hoping to harness it. And it wasn't just that Schumer said that the Democrats should be a big tent, which is an unobjectionable sentiment, although it does depend on what he means by it. He said that the DSA had brought new energy and new people into the party.
Speaker 2: That's a euphemism, that's an excuse.
Speaker 13: They've certainly brought new energy and new people into the party, but the new people want to use that new energy to take the party over. If you look at what they say openly, they say that they don't want to found a new party or run as a third party. They want to take the Democratic Party, use its institutions, use its primaries, use its name and fundraising abilities, and convert it into their own vehicle. So one gets the impression that Schumer thinks he'll be eaten last.
Speaker 1: And I get the impression that he'll be pushed over the side and in the kurt on the way to the guillotine. However figuratively or literally, they put it together because we had some clips this week of their co chairman saying, our objectives are fundamental. Number one, we hate the United States Constitution. Number two, we want centralized power to do what is right for the whole people. That's leninist. I mean, that's maoist. That's nothing to do with our ordered liberty. And I'm just amazed that anyone is buying that argument without alarm.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I mean they shouldn't be. The United States. I think that's the oldest continuous written constitution in the world. And as I always ask people when I talk about this, do you think it's an accident that we have that constitution and that we've ended up in the position we're.
Speaker 2: In, which is this incredible.
Speaker 13: Economy number one in the world, the number one military power, retaining so many liberties that other countries have shed. I don't think it's an accident. I think it is the result of a variety of things, but one of them, maybe the main one, is the US Constitution. So when someone says they want to get rid of the Constitution. You should hear them saying they want to get rid of everything that it has created as well.
Speaker 2: And I very much test.
Speaker 1: And I go back to Russell Kirk chapter two of The Conservative Mind. Chapter one's on Burke. Chapter two is about John Adams, who he thinks is the greatest American Conservative, who believed that the Constitution preserved a religious people. It wasn't particularly demonstrative in his face. I guess you would call him a Puritan. Madison was much more of an Episcopalian, and Jefferson a deist, and Tom Payne was the radical. And Russell Kirk talks about ours is a conservative country because nobody gets to run us. I wonder if our education institutions have failed to communicate either basic morality through sort of standard Judeo Christian teaching. And number two, why does it work? What you just said, why does it work? It works because power is kept out of one group of hands.
Speaker 13: Yeah, not just one group of hans at the federal level, but one group of hands vertically as well, in that we have fifty states and they're different, and it's a wonderful thing to be able to live in the same country with the same flag and the same overall borders, but move within it. And you know, I'm a conservative. I live in Florida. I think we have great governance, but there are states that are not like Florida that aren't a mess. And unfortunately California, which I love, is a mess now. But Massachusetts is not a mess, and those those two states can exist under the same constitutional order and under the same flag, because we fracture power here and I don't want to see that go away either.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think that.
Speaker 13: Would be a recipe for real civil strife if we didn't have the ability to disperse power and allow people some level of local autonomy. So the people in Massachusetts felt comfortable in Massachusetts and people in Florida felt.
Speaker 2: Comfortable in Florida.
Speaker 13: I think we'd be a lot angrier with each other than we already are.
Speaker 1: I agree that I want to land on Medicare for all. The only thing that unites all those dsays that I talked about Troy Jackson in Maine and g Nixon in Florida. Your brand new Democratic nominee, Charle She's the wackiest of them. Although I helped Abdul say it is really the most radical, she's whackier. They can only agree on one thing, the slogan Medicare for all. It would destroy Medicare, and it's already an enormous budget sucked for Medicare, but it would destroy Medicare. Do you think people understand that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they do yet.
Speaker 13: I do know that if you tell them that it would hurt Medicaire all their private health insurance, and people turn against it pretty quickly. I think it's frankly insane that we're talking about this, given that we just learned that we have a forty trillion dollar debt. Correct, there is no money to spend. Even if you raise taxes, Even if you took all of the money and wealth that is owned by the billionaires and the one trillionaire, there's still no money. There's no money for this. And I should just say, as somebody who grew up in England and spent what twenty six years there under the National Health Service, I'm very strongly opposed to this, having experienced what that does to the healthcare system. So it's not just that we can't afford it. I don't want it. I think we have a much better healthcare system in this country. It has problems that need to be fixed, but that is not the way to do it.
Speaker 1: You know, we should. Next time you're on, Charles, I'm going to ask you to return to that. What was the worst part about your nih growing up?
Speaker 13: Well, the worst part of it is the waiting times, which applied far more to members of my family than they did to me. Because I was a very young man, I didn't really need much medicine. But my father, who's nearly eighty, had to have a hip replacement recently, and the National Health Service he's paid in all his life served in the Air Force, told him it will.
Speaker 2: Be three years. So what did he do? He spent money.
Speaker 13: He didn't really have to go private and get the hip replacement done.
Speaker 2: Because he couldn't walk.
Speaker 13: So, I mean, I think that is a betrayal that Americans would just not accept. You know, Americans have a great impatience when it comes to medical care. That's one reason we spent so much, because Americans won't put up with poor service. I just don't think they would put up with what Medicare for all would become. Unfortunately, by the time they didn't, it will be too late.
Speaker 1: And we will talk about that. Next time with you. Charles C. W. Cook. Here's the host of the Charles C. W. Cook podcast. You hear him on the Editors. He writes for a National Review, and I'm glad to hear he appears on Washington Journal often on c SPAN. Charles, Thank you. Follow him on exit, Charles c. W.
Speaker 3: Cook.
Speaker 1: Follow me the next segment of the Hugh Hewitt Show, Born and Lord Evening, Grace America. I'm Hugh hewittt. Welcome to the Weekend That means. Big Ben Podcast host Ben dominic is with me. Follow Ben on exit. B Dominich is the opinion editor at The Daily Wire, Fox News contributor, as I said, host of a wonderful podcast, the Big Ben Pod. Ben, I want to begin by letting you know we are simulcasting today and having all week on c SPAN, and you know we're on Fast TV every afternoon three to six on Roku and Pluto and Samsung and Amazon Prime. But c Span asked us he wander three three hours with them for five days this week. I should, of course. I love. What do you think of Span?
Speaker 8: Well, Hugh, I mean I grew up watching.
Speaker 11: I knew it.
Speaker 8: Am I mean, like, are you kidding. It's the best network ever. It's fantastic it uh. And it also, you know, it has the distinct honor of being a network that dramatically changed American politics, which not everybody can say, you know, in terms of its its role in accelerating and emphasizing the gingrich populist revolution that took that took place in the early nineties, but obviously you know, started well before then in in terms of giving the ability of politicians, particularly you know, rebel Republican politicians h to h to fight back against uh, the dominant democratic agenda of the day. And so from my perspective, look, se SPAN is the best and uh and I've congratulations for being able to have that kind of relationship.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to do it. Everyone has said the same thing as my guest Lilac said it best. C SPAN is the weather channel for smart people. But I actually it's nonpartisan, it's bipartisan, but it is fundamentally conservative. And I just had this discussion with Charles C. Cook about Russell Kirk's The Conservative Mind, a chapter on Disraeli. This really wasn't a philosopher, but he was all about conserving institutions, you know, the throne, the crown, the Church of England, and I think c SPAN is about conserving debate, argument, visibility of the legislative process, hearings and informed citizenry. They're they're transformative and they're coming up on fifty years and it all sprang from the brain of Brian Lamb of Lafayette and Purdue.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, I think that it's a phenomenal treasure. And I think that, you know, one of the things that has actually been frustrating to you followed this, but some of these streaming services don't have c SPAN because you know, I did not know that for cable and so you know, it's all the cable networks that carry it, and so I actually think that needs to be something that they actually adopt and maybe they you know, maybe there's some reason that they don't do it. But I think s SPAN's phenomenal and congratulations on being able to do a simulcas. The one thing I will say is that, you know, I think that some of the best moments in c SPAN history, you know, have been have been once where there was there was a question asked that was not anticipated, Oh yes, you do you have a favorite moment by the way in c SPAN history. I mean, you know, not necessarily you know the the hcle you know, hearing stage.
Speaker 1: Howard Moran played it today a conversation with Brian lam where he asked me questions I wasn't prepared for. But my very first appearance was in nineteen eighty seven when I was testifying as the General Counsel of OPM. I put a pencil in my ear because Jerry's of course, he was yelling at me. I didn't realize how bad that looked on TV till my phone got you I got like ten calls from my parents and my grandfather. What are you doing? You got a pencil in your cause? I just play them with my Well.
Speaker 8: I have to give a compliment out to my old friend will Ron, who was once on you Know on the Morning Show and was asked about a headline at the Daily Caller, where he worked at an editor at the time, concerning Chelsea Clinton. I don't remember what the headline was, but I do remember that his response to the question was, yes, that's a cheap shot. Sometimes we take them.
Speaker 1: Well, you know Sam fight. You must know Sam?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so Sam is their new CEO. Perfect choice. Got foots in both knows everybody in town. It's perfect, but they're going to have to come up with some new interviewers. Right. Peter Slenn has done this for a long time, Brian has retired, Susan Swains retired. They're getting new people. I think you'd be good at it, and Cotton Eddy would be good at it. Don't you have to read the books? Don't you think that's a necessity.
Speaker 8: I think it's a necessity. And I say, give me a call. I will happily run it up the flagpole to see if I have the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one objects to it. Now, let me turn to a few other things. Spring Court ruled today Chief Justice did. He continued the stay of the d C circuits were to continue the injunction that District Court Judge Leon put into place, so there East Wind construction can continue. This is the right decision. I've been arguing and writing about it for two weeks. Bill Barr weighed in in the Wall Street Journal today, a former national security advisor O'Brian wade in and Fox News they all said national security. It's national security and there is no standing. So he got it right. I've never really been in depth, and until you see it, you don't know it because those two Circuit Court judges went along for the ride. Naomi Ross said, your nuts, What do you think about this whole crazy litigation?
Speaker 8: I think it's absolutely insane, Hugh, and I just thought, I mean, are we entering a new era where people are operating under the assumption that certain things that are under the under the ages of the President of the United States, the commander in chief need to be pulled away from him just because of the guy who's there. And I realized that that was something that happened quite a lot on the fringes in the first term. But it seems like that's one of the enduring aspects of this second term that really, I mean, it's absurd. You know, it doesn't make any sense on its safe. You wouldn't want this to be the similar situation on the other side, if you had someone with the letter that you prefer after their name, you know, occupying that office. You know that's that's a joke. And you know, concluding by the way, I mean, I don't know what you thought about that interview with Todd blanche that happened last weekend, you know, but It was one of these things where you know, of course, you know that the Department of Justice, you know that the idea that the Attorney General of the United States is not going to listen to the president, is not going to respond to the president, it's absurd. And when it comes to these types of decisions as well, you know, look, I want and I've said this repeatedly, you know, under Obama, under Biden, you know, etc. I want the elected president of the United States to be determining our foreign policy, to be directing our national security policy, to be the commander in chief. And I and even if that means that that's a Democrat, that's something that I want because the opposite of that is something that is not actually a representative republic. It is not something that actually responds to the people. And we can't have a situation where people are usurping that as.
Speaker 1: A unitary executive, I work for two attorney general and General Blanche is absolutely right. And General Barr, who would argue with the president and eventually quit, he's in the journal today saying, Hey, this is his and he's the commander in chief. And I also think we're living this is not eighteen twelve. We're not going to get noticed that the British are coming. The missiles are going to hit the White House, and you've got to get the President and the bunkers. It's that simple. Yeah.
Speaker 8: And I also think just one more point on this. You know, the thing that I think is so disturbing about this conversation is that I think people are going to take a lot of lessons out of this, uh uh, this Trump experience over the first and second term that are going to lead them to make a bunch of very bad decisions, you know, and you and you see this repeatedly, of course, and you've seen this when it comes to legal decisions that are based on unique cases or you know, situations that do not actually reflect, you know, the typical experience of the law. People are going to take the wrong lessons from this, and they're going to start applying them in ways that I think could be quite dangerous going forward. We have to guard against that and we have to be aware of it.
Speaker 1: Now. I want to before we go to break, and I'm going to talk to you during the break about your podcast Diet, but while we're on c SPAN, I want to thank you for the recommendation of Spencer Claven, who was on this week. I want the hosts.
Speaker 8: I'm glad you had him on. I hope that that was a good interview. I haven't had a chance to listen to it, yeah, but I hope it was good.
Speaker 1: He is incandescently smart. I mean at just Flamethrower telling you.
Speaker 8: I'm telling you, he's like top five young people smart, Like it's really it's really impressive. And he's he's such a literary mind he has it's not just references, it's awareness, it's it's something that I think is really, you know, something that we should applaud. And I'm so glad that you had to stand to talk.
Speaker 1: With Well, thank you, and we're recommended. I had Michael Noles on this week from The Daily Wire. I've known Michael fro while, so I knew I was getting he's always very smart. But Spencer I had and had on before. And we're talking about C. S. Lewis h and that hideous strength, and we're talking about you know, model in college, and we're talking about Descartes and not daycart he's doing, uh, divine, what's he's doing? He's doing not divine comedy? He's doing Inferno, Dante's Inferno right now on young Heretics, and I just was blown over. He has not read The Looming Tower though.
Speaker 8: Ben, Oh, that's that's well, but that's a gap. But here's the thing. Got to understand literary first.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, so how many other people like that are you hiding over at the Daily Wire?
Speaker 8: Well, let me tell you you. I'm trying to cultivate you know, you gotta you gotta, you gotta harvest your nuts, you gotta steeven season your crowd.
Speaker 1: Isn't that our job? I mean, we're gonna go to Isn't it our job to find the good and praise it? To quote Lamar Alexander who used to quote Alex Haley all the time and define young talent and promote it absolutely.
Speaker 8: And one of the one of the things that I think is the is to the detriment of our industry is that some people have the attitude that you know, anyone who comes up who is in some way within my space their competition. I have the opposite view. I have the view that you you want to cultivate them, you want to train them, and you want to see them go on to great success.
Speaker 1: And that's how Fred Building and Dick Howser ran the White House Counsel's Office under with the exception of under President Reagan. And that's why we have a Chief Justice Roberts. They hired the best and the brightest. They all became judges. I'm not talking about me. I became a talk show host. But I'm gonna stay with Ben. He's coming back on the other side. Don't go anywhere. Well, talk DSA when we're back on the Hugh hewittt Show. So I'm dying with Ben Dominis during the break, and I've been talking a lot about podcast this week. Ben, what is your podcast diet? Because I got mugged. In fact, I'm going to play this for you. This is so outrageous. I'm running my run this morning listening to the Ruthless podcast, and an hour and seven minutes into it, out of left field comes this cut number six.
Speaker 6: Thanks one last thing.
Speaker 4: This is particular for our friend Hugh Hewitt, who of course is a lifelong Cleveland Browns fan. He lives and mostly dies with the Cleveland Browns. And we're now what two weeks away from Hope springing Eternal in six weeks from now, we'll have to express our condolences for what I imagine is going to be another oh and five or oh and six start.
Speaker 6: But it gets worse for poor and then they go.
Speaker 1: On to kick me and all the Browns about the stadium designing Cleveland for two minutes, Ben Dominics. Isn't that like a tort Isn't that wrong?
Speaker 3: Look?
Speaker 8: I mean, first off, that's that's what these guys do. It. Don't be surprised like that. At the same time, I gotta be quite honest, you your team has a quarterback problem, and not a problem anywhere else. You have had right talented groups of young players that we have in uh, you know, in the AFC. I would argue the AFC North, you know, is an aging division in particular. But like the Browns have actually drafted really well at least I mean bas back years. Yeah, and so I think that Frankly, you know, this is one of those situations where look, you see what this year looks like and then you play it out. But you've just got a quarterback problem, that's all you've got.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we trade the Cavaliers traded for Watson this week. Peyton Watson from the Denver Nuggets. He's the sending player in the language of the world, Deshaun Watson a descending player. He's not going to be here in the year. I mean, he's done it. Why don't we start Shudoor Sanders.
Speaker 8: No, I think you're completely right about that, and I don't see why you wouldn't do it. I mean, you start Shoudre. You know if if he flames out, you know, you can have the situation with Gabriel. I don't see why you should send any time on Watson anymore. But look, the thing that I would say about this is I actually my podcast diet. I almost exclusively listen to sports and comedy podcast so I is my escape from politics. I do, you guys do. But when they wade into this stuff, look, you know, I think that they the decision to specifically bust your balls over this issue is Regie said that.
Speaker 1: When we're off there. Yes, but I mean, but what it is so without warning they know I listen every day, and so I'm doing my very slow run and out of nowhere I get run over by a car ruthless podcast.
Speaker 8: I mean, they easily could have done that with me and Jayden Daniels and the number five.
Speaker 1: Well, but I'm mourning you. You don't let your guard down with ruthless. I'm coming back with Ben and we're going to talk about the DSA after I stump him with my music of the week. Stay with us, Welcome back, America. I'm you Gewett. Ben Dominic Shu is the opinion editor for The Daily Wire, Fox News contributor, host of The Big Ben podcast and Music Fado. Do you know what that is? Ben?
Speaker 8: I mean that sounds similar to the Motley Crue song, but I don't know who that is.
Speaker 1: It is ac DC singing Live Wire and it has recently been featured prominently in a new or relatively new streaming series. I wanted to ask if you have seen it called Essay Rogue Heroes.
Speaker 8: I have not, and so that I am unfamiliar with that. But it's not it is a Motley Crue song, right, that's.
Speaker 1: No, it's a CDC. Okay, all right, close enough. But this is about the British sas in the nineteen forty one Desert campaign. Is Rommel chasing them across Africa and it's fabulous. You're too young for rat Patrol. Rat Patrol was a dressed up American version of this. But this is very r rated and very not untrue. All right, So I'm not gonna say based.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm always Ronel. I read your book. I'm not very interested in that. It's it's no Look, this is a this is a challenge when it comes to music for you. I could definitely beat you when it comes to challenges on country and rock music from the last couple of decades.
Speaker 1: Forty years. I stopped in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 8: Well, but then that means he stopped when it was a aatique, So you should think about it that way, you know.
Speaker 1: Just when it's littering the disco. I ran away, all right, Ben, let's get Sari. The DSA is running. They're going to double the size of the squad with hard left members, and they'll have the balance of power if they get the majority in the House. They're running DSA crazies, Troy Jackson and Maine, Angie Nixon in Florida, uh Talla Rico in Texas. We've got Peggy planning it in Minnesota. And the worst of them all, the radical Abdul l say Ed, who's actually a surrogate for Hassan Piker, who's a violent rhetoric, racist, misogynist, hater of Israel and really America, and I really think Elsai Ed's his surrogate. Are the Democrats alarmed enough about this?
Speaker 8: They're not alarmed enough about it. But I also don't think that Republicans are alarmed enough about it. I think that they think that this is some kind of a dand for them, I think that they're traumatically underestimating the possibility that the majority of the candidates that you just mentioned could win, and I include else I had in that number. You know, the situation in this election cycle is very negative for Republicans. We know that we've been talking about it, but the truth is that I don't think that the Republican electorate necessarily understands yet how close they could come to losing not just you know, representation in terms of the majorities in the House and Senate, but also I think, you know, the argument over capitalism in the country, over the posture of the nation going forward. I think it's a lot more close to breaking in the direction of these far left DSA candidates than people really have understood. And and Hugh, I think it's I think it's really unfortunate. You know, we saw some reporting you know, this week that you know, the President is finally going to be pumping some money out of his own political action group that his you know, the tens of millions, hundreds of millions of dollars that he's raised, he's going to start sending that into these various you know, campaigns, and he's going to start trying to have an impact. I am not sure how quickly that's going to move, but it needs to happen now, and it needs to happen quickly because these play these people are behind, and they're behind in a significant way. And one of the things that I think we should understand about the dynamics that's going on. We had a piece this week at The Daily Wire from Dylan Houseman, who's our managing editor, who went down to Florida and watched the situation with the failed Fishback campaign the primary down there obviously where Fishback came in, you know, with only ten percent. It was still ten percent, by the way, which is higher than I thought you might get. And and what he took away was that the young voters who were down there were not actually animated by anti Israel, you know, animus. They were not people who were talking about the terrible influence of APAK. They were people who were complaining about data centers. They were complaining about plot cameras, they were complaining about inflation, they were complaining about costs of living. Like, those are all issues where I think Republicans have vulnerabilities that they just haven't addressed yet. And I worry that people are underestimating the idea that you know, these radicals they're just too crazy to win. They could win if they can pull off this game that they play, where it's basically like Abuela al Sayet is going to be running all the way into election day saying I'm about healthcare costs, I'm about covering everybody, and if people believe him, he could win.
Speaker 1: Well. I think we ought to run one ad, which is here's Hassan Piker and then bleep out the F bombs, but really, don't just start what he said. He said so many radical crazy stuff. He hates America. He just hates America and he wants to destroy it, and he hates Israel and everything I said.
Speaker 8: He's on the team of all the Saudi Arabians who told um, you know.
Speaker 1: So, I would like to, but you would just run one ad and say he's got surrogates running in Michigan in Minnesota and name them and run it again and again and again and make it the Hassan Piper election. But number two, I don't think I was a Corning guy, and I was. I thought it was crazy that Ken Paxston got in. But I've invited him on the show fifteen times. He won't come on, can you, Madge? Because I was a Corning guy? Do we have dummies running these campaigns?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 8: The only way that I can express an answer to that is to use the word yes. But the truth is that, you know, when it comes to that campaign in particular, you know, I think people dramatically underestimate the possibility that someone like Tallarico could sneak in in a cycle like this. Look, is Talarico a good candidate. No, he's a worse candidate by the way. He's weaker than Beta was, doesn't have as much ability to appeal, you know, across the aisle, and he's got more liabilities in terms of his cultural positioning. And yet the Paxton campaign, you know, seems to be almost non existent and one of the things that I'm going to be curious about with this upcoming in a situation where we I don't know if you're going to go to Dallas for this for the you know, RNC or something like that, but I'll be curious to see how much is that it's about boosting Ken Paxton, because look, Greg Abbott is someone who has won in that state, you know, very effectively for a very long time. His people are very concerned about Ken Paxton. And when they get concerned, they are saying it from a position of someone who has won that state, you know, against a lot of you know, highly backed, you know, Democratic candidates in the past. I am concerned about Texas. I worry about it, and I think that people are again, you know, underestimating the possibility that in a way of election, if this that's what this turns out to be, that there are a lot of people who don't deserve it, who get swept into power.
Speaker 1: The great news that Talla Rica is genuinely awful, And the other good news is Susan Collins is gonna win, and I think Mike Rodgers is gonna win after Ram Emmanuel's Rabbi all that Rabbi came out and knock down Elson. That was great.
Speaker 8: Mike's Mike. Mike is a good candidate. He should win. But I'm just but it's one of these situations where it's this is a weird cycle. Things can happen, and you know that when whenever there's a weird cycle like this, there are people who win who don't deserve it, and you end up with one or two crazies who end up in office. And I just hope that it's not the people who are the worst for America in terms of what they would try to do if they were in office. And Elsaiad is one of them.
Speaker 1: A great caution, Uh, Ben Dominic follow him on exit b Dominic. If you're listening on c SPAN, you need someone to do your interviews for you along with Matt Continental. Those two would be great. They're gonna be They're gonna take years to be. Brian Lamb, Peter slam great, but they're great, and uh, thank you, Ben. I'll be right. The Big Ben podcast available wherever you get your podcast as well, stay tuned, w be right. If you listen to this program for any length of time, you know I appreciate companies that deliver real value without unnecessary gimmicks. That's fine. Please to recommend Consumer Cellular. They offer reliable nationwide coverage, outstanding customer service, and plans that simply makes sense. Right now, you can get a brand new five G phone and an unlimited everything rate plan for fifty nine dollars a month or even less. That's right. Your low monthly price includes your new device and an unlimited talk, text and data plan with thirty six month easy paid financing. Choose the five G phone that's right for you, and when those thirty six months are up, you own the phone the companied unknown you. Here's an exclusive bonus for my listeners for a limited time, use the promo code U fifty and you'll receive an additional fifty dollars off your service. Visit Consumer sailor dot com slash shoe today to find the right phone. Enjoy affordable wireless with an unlimited plan for fifty nine dollars a month or less. That's Consumer sailor dot Com slash Shoe, and remember to use the promo code fifty to save an additional fifty dollars.
Speaker 14: Loudly on Salem now featuring one of Charlie Kirk's final interviews. The new documentary Can You Hear Me Now investigates modern profits and their divine messages.
Speaker 7: Some people absolutely have the gift of prophecy.
Speaker 13: If God exists, how would he inject his information into our world?
Speaker 9: More than likely he would use humans.
Speaker 11: Satan would love Christians. So just be a spectator, not engaged, not participate. Is there something he's trying to say?
Speaker 14: Can You Hear Me Now?
Speaker 11: For you?
Speaker 14: Order the movie by September tenth, save twenty five percent and get the DVD free at salemnel dot com.
Speaker 15: When a nation drifts, the church faces a choice silence or courage. This weekend, Salem News Channels America two fifty film series presents Letter to the American Church, based on Eric Maattax's warning to believers. This film challenges Christians to recover conviction, truth and moral courage Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 1: One of the people who actually knows about seapower as a professional is my friend, Captain Mark Vandroff. He joined us now Captain Van Droff as a senior vice president at Fink and Terry, an Italian shipbuilder who was also in President Trump's first administration senior director at the National Security Council, with a lot to do with shipbuilding. So earlier, this actually one week ago, the President put out a presidential memorandum all and I cast about who will talk to me? Mark got a Captain Vandroff. Mark to me, Captain Vandroff, you got permission from Fink an Terry to come and talk to me about it. So Captain, welcome back. Thank you. I want to tell the audience you're the first person who actually took me to a shipbuilding factory to show me the un sexy side of shaft drives.
Speaker 3: Right right, that was I remember that that day. Well, we were actually touring the facility out in California that makes what's called reduction gear, so like the transmission in your car for most of the surface ships in the United States Navy.
Speaker 1: So I was fascinated. And so I've gotten to Mark for nuts and bolts. I got other experts like Captain Jerry Hendricks and others like Mark Montgomery, but I go to Mark. So Mark, I want to go through the President's memorandum, and the first paragraph and the last paragraph are introductory and orattory inclusory. Let's start and go right to the heart of it. Section two Restoring steam and hydraulic systems to carriers. Explain this please to steelers fans, I mean, really break it down, make it simple.
Speaker 3: Okay, So aircraft carriers launch aircraft. That seems simple enough. To launch a high performance jet off an aircraft carrier, it has to be flung into the air. The aircraft is actually attached to a fla in order to provide enough acceleration so that when the jet comes off the end of the aircraft carrier, its wings will provide enough lift that it can continue its flight and not get flung into the water. Historically, or at least since the nineteen fifties, this sled has been powered by steam. You build up high pressure steam and a steam reservoir, or release the steam, and it sends the slide forward on the USS Forward, which is our newest aircraft carrier. For the first time that sled is powered by magnets. That's been an item of some controversy, and I'll give both sides. The good thing about the magnets is you can recharge a magnet faster than you can refill the steam reservoir, so you can launch more aircraft because you can launch another aircraft sooner. That's the good side. On the bad side, it's expensive, it's somewhat tricky technology to work with. And since we've gone to that and some other magnetic technology for moving things around on the ford and the follow ons, the ships just take longer to build. So it's a balance of is it worth the cost and the time. Is there a way to get that cost and time down in order to get the performance of the additional what the carrier guys call a better sortie rate, being able to launch more aircraft more quickly. And I think this administration has come down with the judgment that they'd rather go back to older technology that would allow them to build the aircraft carriers suit quicker or you know, get a quicker build cycle not so hard to install on the carrier. I think there's a lot of folks in naval aviation who would take the opposite side. I think there's been a lot of unfortunate commentary in the news that makes it sound like it's somehow silly. It is not a silly issue. This is a real issue and it's deserving of real study because This is a difficult call. I think the administration has signaled which side they're coming down on.
Speaker 1: So Captain Vandrov, anyone who's watching has seen me moderate a GOP presidential primary debate always knows. I ask either about shipbuilding or nuclear submarines or aircraft carriers, because we're a sea power, and part of that is what Admiral Stavritez retired likes to say quantity as a quality all of its own. Does the decision make for more carriers or fewer carriers in this critical period of time of a narrow gap with China?
Speaker 3: The intent of the decision is absolutely for more carriers. If you can build a carrier faster, you can put more of them out there. So I think that's the desire to increase the build rate of carriers was the motivating factor behind this decision.
Speaker 1: Now, if the Trump administration follows through, and I expect they will, and a Democrat wins and they change it back, what kind of a disaster will be for the aircraft.
Speaker 3: Maybe it would be good to get one decision and hold to it. Regardless of which way the decision is made, It would be good to get one decision and hold to it. Going back and forth for something as integral to the construction of these aircraft carriers would be bad. The Trump administration, I think very wisely did not try and alter the carrier number eighty the next enterprise, because it's far enough along that it would be overly impactful to its schedule. They're trying to phase this in on in this case, two carriers from now where they think they can phase it in without creating a disruption.
Speaker 1: And will Congress have the final say or is this up to the president as commander in chief.
Speaker 3: This would normally fall under the Secretary of the Navy's Title ten Authority for Acquisition, which obviously subject to the direction of the Secretary of War and the President. But as you know, Congress kind of always has the final say because they can put writers in appropriations. They can write language into the National Defense Authorization Act inty given years, so they can certainly direct and constrain the executive branch through various pieces of legislation.
Speaker 1: As a civilian, I have no opinion on this. I just want them to make a decision and stick with it. Part two. The Finland model for three kinds of ship as w roros and consul, Can you explain those again and stealer talk? What are those three kinds of ship? And what is the Finland model?
Speaker 3: So sure? So, first, of the three kinds of ships, all of these are critical capabilities that the United States Navy or other parts of the United States government task with supporting. The Navy probably doesn't have the amount they need. The first one's easy. An asw escort is a ship that will escort other ships and screen and defend against submarines. A console tanker if you think about ships out on station, they receive fuel from oilers from replenishment ships that bring them fuel for the aircraft, fuel for the jet, fuel for the air wing on an aircraft carrier, diesel fuel for the jet engines on a DDG. Console tankers are big tankers that take a lot of fuel from a shore station and distribute it to the oilers at sea so the oilers can go back and forth. So they are an intermediate link in the fuel chain that gets fuel out to ships. Rowrows rowrow is slang for roll on, roll off. Those are very large ships designed to move heavy equipment, mostly the heavy equipment of the army and the Marine corps from point A to point B. And it's called a row row because the ship is designed so you can drive a tank or a self propelled our artillery piece or a self propelled radar on and off the ship to drive it like you were driving over land, park it on the ship, and then move the ship. That three.
Speaker 1: What's the Finland model for building these in two minutes?
Speaker 3: Finland model is what we did with Coastguard did with icebreakers. It means you have a partner nation. In the case of ice breakers, Finland builds the first number of units, while at the same time that partner nation is investing in either building or upgrading a shipyard in the United States of America and training Americans to build out the rest of the class. So it gives you the best of both worlds. It gives you increasing American jobs and capacity because you're getting that foreign investment while you're allowing the foreign partner to fill an immediate need in capability. I think this is the best part of the President's memorandum. I only wish that he had increased it by one more class of ship. I think the United States is desperately short of cable layers, and this model selecting a foreign partner nation to be a partner to build an initial number of cable layers while the rest are built here in the United States. And I say that full disclosure of Fink Canterri's subsidiary vart is the world leader in cable layers. But it is a capability that the United States government I think is short of and desperately needs.
Speaker 1: I love full disclosure. We will be back with Captain Mark Van Drafford, charge United States Navy, senior vice president for Fink Anterry, former National Security senior advisor in Trump one to go through public shipyards, Component Repair Center and Navski. I've got them for three segments. I really thought it would be a service if the audience understood the presidential memorandum, which very few people pause to talk about, may be the most important thing for the next thirty years for America other than Golden Dome. So stay tuned, Welcome back in America. I'm Hugh Hewett. If it listened to my program for years on the Salem Radio Network on the Salem News Channel this week on c SPAN, you know I cover Navy issues a lot. Used to do it with Admiral Stavritis retired he's over at CNN. Now adamal Mark Montgomery comes in. But I've always had two captains who rely on. Captain Mark Van Droff, who has written My Guest right now United States Navy retired Senior Vice President thin can Terry Trump won National Security Council official. And Jerry Hendrix, Captain Hendrix, who wrote this book which I keep at hand to provide and maintain a navy, the short book on that. But he can't be on the air with me unless he's cleared because he's in the Trump administration right now. And Jerry, I mean Mark. We're talking about a memo in which, no doubt Jerry had a hand was rough vote and the President. I want to go to section four. The memo from the President declared, we need a fifth public shipyard. Where are public shipyards? Where are they? And why do we need another one? And where's it going to be?
Speaker 3: So all good questions. A public shipyard very simply as a shipyard that is owned by the United States Navy, so it's managed by Navy officials. All the workers, the welders, the electricians, the crane operators are all government employees. The Navy historically had many public shipyards. In the nineties we had eight and the BRAC process took eight down to four. The four remaining public shipyards are in Norfolk, Virginia, in Portsmouth, New Hampshire slash Kittery, Maine, depending upon which state official you ask, because it's on the border of New Hampshire and Maine and they argue about it, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and then up in Puget Sound in the Pacific Northwest. The Navy, for a variety of reasons, prefers to do serious maintenance on nuclear ships. So the nuclear submarines, the nuclear aircraft carriers get their maintenance done by the Navy itself, under by government employees. There's a lot of good reasons for that when we went from eight to four. Now that we're looking to expand our number of submarines, especially, we just don't have enough maintenance facilities within the public shipyards to do uh to do the maintenance we need to do on the submarine side fleet that we that we need to have. So the President, I think, in this one very correctly recognizes we need a fifth yard. The ideal candidates would be the two closed yards on the West coast, Long Beach and h and Alameda, but both of those, since their closure in the nineties, have been developed by the local economy and would be hard to recover. Most experts would tell you they're also in California.
Speaker 1: California. Most experts would regulatory problems that are immense.
Speaker 3: Indeed, but most most I think most analysts would say that the yard needs to be in the Pacific because it provides the additional benefit of providing a repair capacity in theater or close to theater if you were in a conflict within the Indo Pacific. I certainly think that there's gonna be lots of different real estate around the country interested in that fifth shipyard.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: I think anywhere where there's coastline, there's gonna be people interested in it. But I think from a tactical strategic standpoint, closer to the fight would be better.
Speaker 1: Mark I question if Congress passed a Notwithstanding any other law or regulation act, it is an emergency situation, and we need a fifth shipyard and the and we are appropriating a trillion dollars or whatever it is to buy and build a public navy shipyard. At a point of the sect navs choosing and to commence immediately. How long until that could be up and running.
Speaker 3: It depends on if you're going from a place where there's absolutely no no capability now if it was just a blank sheet of paper versus if you were recommissioning someplace that used to be a shipyard. So like you could probably go quicker in Alameda, if you know, depending on what condition they're dry docks or and if you're going to improve those docks, as an example, you could be up and running. You know, maybe in a couple of years. Uh, if you were building from scratch, a graving dock big enough to take a Virginia class submarine is probably you know, three years worth of construction. As an example, we put in a new ship lift at the think Cantieri's yard in Marinette, Wisconsin after it was bought in order to bring it up to be a to produce modern surface combatants. And between the permitting, which I know you know a lot about, and and the dredging and then the building of that, it was a two and a half year job to put in a modern shiplift. I expect if they were going to do a graving dock or a shiplift somewhere in the West Coast. It would be a similar build cycle, and you'd have to do more than one. You'd be working on multiple ones at the time, So it's a two to three year effort to get the facility up and running out of it.
Speaker 1: I should amend an extend my remarks if Congress passed a notwithstanding any law ignoring the Coastal Commission, overriding all federal and state and local regulations, and condemning whatever local use is at Alameda, that's where I go. It can be protected by MIRAMA. I mean, it just makes a lot of sense. That's where I go. But that would require a sweeping statue to clear away the debris. What is a component repair center and why do we need one? Because I'm going to use the last segment on navsea reform. So what's a component repair segment?
Speaker 3: What it is is it's a central repository where you would either or repair parts or build specialty repair parts for a particular class of ships. In this case, it refers to our submarines, and I think specifically, even though it mentions the Los Angeles Class and the Virginia Class and the Ohio Class, I think this is really targeted at our aging Los Angeles Class fleet. The administration correctly wants to keep the Los Angeles class ships in service for absolutely as long as possible. Some of them are old enough that they have a lot of components that just aren't available anymore in the open market. So this is a centralized storehouse and fabrication using things like three D printing and other advanced manufacturing to keep enough repair parts and a central location made stocked sent out so they can keep some of our older submarines in service for absolutely as long as possible in order to keep our submarine count up.
Speaker 1: Would it take, where would it be and how long would it take?
Speaker 3: I think this uh, this could be ideally in any centralized place that had good road rail access, So you could put it nearly anywhere in the country. Again, I'm sure there are lots of different regions that would like to have this around, you know, and you could put it in a lot of different places, uh if you if the people didn't care about watching bad football, they could put it in Ohio, the uh and and the uh uh but the uh you know, So where it goes as long as it's uh connected to a good logistics train, I could go anywhere, and I think this could be up in the in a matter of of you know, certainly less than two years. You know, uh, I think this Pentagon could get it done in a year because they tend to move fast.
Speaker 1: Again, if the Congress passed and notwithstanding any law, how many jobs are we talking about with a facility like this, Captain van Drive.
Speaker 3: Oh, I have not dug in enough be on the executive order to put a number on that. I mean, if you like, if you said how many your jobs is that is that fifth shipyard? I'd say that fifth shipyard is probably like three thousand to four thousand workers. Based on the size of our other public yards the Competitive Repair Center, I'd have to study more to give you an actual job count.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm coming back one more segment with Captain Mark van Draft for charge United States Navy Senior Vice President Fink Kent Terry, former Trump won National Security Council official, to talk about what NAVSEA is, what reforms a proposing the President's memorandum, why we need him, and whether or not Secretary Cow or Acting Secretary of Cow he ought to be Secretary Cow can get it done. Stay with us, Welcome back. I'm Hugh Hewett continue to talk with Captain Mark Van draft Rechigie, United States Navy. He's a senior Vice President fin can Terry, former President Trump official in the NSC National Security Council in the first administration, and we come to nabsee Mark for the audience. The depth second Defense, Steve Finberg is doing a fabulous job that nobody knows about trying to reform defense acquisition. And I think Acting Secretary Anko is doing a great job with the Navy. I hope he gets a vote and it gets nominated by Permanent Secretary. But you get five minutes to try and explain what NAVC specifically is and what the presence memorandum proposals be done to reform it.
Speaker 3: So thanks you.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 3: NAVC is an acronym that stands for the Naval Sea Systems Command. All the services have activities, each organized a little differently, but within the Navy, a Systems Command, because there's also the Naval Air Systems Command and a few others, is a large organization which is charged with a cradle to grave from the research and development to develop a capability, through acquiring the capability, through taking care of the capability through its life cycle and then disposing it. So the Naval CEA Systems com and does that for ships and submarines. The depsec War and the under Secretary for War for Acquisition early on in the Trump two administration really has already done some sweeping reforms, not just for the Navy, but how all the Department of War Acquisition operates. It sounded less impactful than it really is, but they've changed the authorities around to really proved. I selected individuals with a lot of authority across both contracting, technical and budgeting and programmatic to try to drive more accountability and drive out bureaucratic friction in order to accelerate programs. I think that's having and will have a very significant positive effect. I think NAPSI has already gone through that level of reorganization, as the rest of the Department of War has. But this presidential memorandum directs a study to see what else Navsey needs to do to get into the twenty first century. I mean, I spent most of my career in the Navy either at NAVSCY headquarters or in various Navsea field commands. I ended my career in command of one of their largest Field Commands. The Naval Surface Warfare Center, card Rock is where I finished my naval career. But in a lot of ways, they really still have a nineteen eighties set up, organization, and mentality, and they need to be brought into the twenty first century. They have processes that work very well for the nineteen eighties, and in order to meet the challenges today, it probably does take a fresh approach. And this memorandum tells Secretary Cow to go and study what that fresh approach will look like and report back to the President. And I have every confidence I know Secretary Cow, at least a little bit fellow Naval Academy graduate, I sure he will get this one right.
Speaker 1: So two questions that close with if Congress gets involved and says in the next NBAA or a reconciliation bill, do this reorganized in six months? Would that help? And the second question would be can you actually get it done in the Trump years, because it's actually a bigger question. Have we fallen too far behind China to catch up?
Speaker 3: I try and be an optimist. I believe, you know, America's pulled off things, amazing things in the past, so I don't think we've fallen too far behind China to catch up. I like the fact that this memorandum uses allies and partners in the Finland model. Certainly, my company, think Cantri and you know, as a company that's based in Italy, one of those allies and partners. It wants to be part of the solution to providing the sea power that the United States needs. So I think we've got that going for us. Certainly, Congressional support is critical for any major reform effort. It's a co equal branch of government and ultimately they hold the power of the purse. So the President's going to need to have Congress on board in order to make this happen. Can it be done within the remaining years of the Trump administration, You can get a long way there. Certainly, whoever follows of whatever political party, is going to need to be committed to this because it took us from President Reagan deregulating the civilian shipbuilding industry in the early eighties till now that thirty five forty years. It took us thirty five or forty years to dig ourselves into this hole. You're not going to dig out in two years. But as you're fun to say, the first rule of holes is stop digging digging. This memorandum is a direction to stop digging and start filling in the hole as fast as you can so.
Speaker 1: Mark van Drive, Captain Van Druft, I greatly appreciate a Pittsburgh Stealers guys fan and a Florida Gators fan guide to understanding. I got you back see to understanding what this memorandum means, and I hope it will get other people to read it and study it and talk about it. Thank you, Captain Mark Vandroff.