Speaker 1: Today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Not only is the issue, this is the Ultimate Issues Hour. Not only does the issue and I'm Dennis Prager, thank you for being with me. Not only does the issue try take three, not only does the How else can I interrupt myself? It's it's a little sad when you're not interrupted by others but yourself.
Speaker 1: That's coming off on Timeless Wisdom. But Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. Go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: To be or not to be? That is the question?
Speaker 3: Where was God? Isn't God supposed to be good, supposed to love us?
Speaker 4: Does God want us to suffer ten years?
Speaker 3: You're not finished yet?
Speaker 2: Why did you go come here? Who are you?
Speaker 1: Rufs?
Speaker 2: I am God? Bingo yazi?
Speaker 4: Is that your final answer?
Speaker 5: Our surveyces God bingding mingingding dingdingding.
Speaker 2: Well, it was nice to meet you God. Thank you for the Grand Canyon and good luck with the apocalypse, and welcome everybody. This is Dennis Prager The Ultimate Issues Hour. The hour each week I devote at this time to some great issue of life, and I am going to bring to you an issue today that explains a great deal about what is happening in society. And the topic for today is AUTHORI authority, the breakdown of authority. Now that's the issue. If you want, in a nutshell, what is ailing America, it is the breakdown of authority. Many of you have a big kick out of my interview with my father on his birthday, and I've asked him on a number of occasions on his birthday, and he's now eighty nine years old, so he's seen a lot of life. And I asked him, what is the greatest difference. In fact, one of you asked him, what is the max What is the greatest difference between the America you grew up with in an America today? And he says, and he said, authority, the breakdown of authority. And he's right. Think about it, folks, think about every area of life outside of government, interestingly, and we'll get to that in a moment, but every area of life authority has broken down. The authority of parents, the authority of teachers, the authority of God, the authority of religion, the authority of text, all of them. All of them have been attacked and undermined. You can now when I think about the ability of a child to curse a teacher, I hear that, in a sort of disbelief, there are kids who get up and curse teachers. I went to a school where you stood when the principal walked in. You actually stood up. And I didn't have any particular fondness or respect for this principle, but that was the principle, and you stood up and off issue teachers called by their first name. The moment teachers were called by their first name, authority began to be chiseled. There is a huge, a huge difference between or conflict between, I should say, authority and equality, because someone who is equal to you cannot have authority over you. So the rampant egalitarianism of our society has removed any concept of authority. If the teacher is my equal, dresses like me, talks like me, I called by her first name, she calls me, or he calls me by his or her first name, then we're all equals. And then that is, by the way, that is what has happened the age of stupidity, as I call it, ushered in by the baby boomer. Baby Boomer generation ushered in this age wherein kids were said to know as much as adults. The vote was changed from twenty one to eighteen, even though you and I know that the average eighteen year old doesn't know anything about how society should be governed. In fact, there are people in the California Legislature who would like to extend the age to fifteen. By golly, why not eleven. The notion of authority has been attacked the most severely of all the notions, and it causes a terrible breakdown in society. For whatever reason, people don't like it, although ironically they're very happy with it in the form of the government. The government's authority is okay, but no other authority is okay. I gave you the example of teachers. You call a teacher by his or her first name, kids can say anything they want. Teachers have lost their authority in the classroom. And next let's go to parents. Parents too have lost their authority in our culture. Look at the movies. In the way parents are so often depicted in these films is as boobs as dummies? Is the kid is the wise one. By the way, I must tell you every movie I see where little kids utter these brilliant phrases, they're witty and so on, I immediately I am turned off to that film. So it's not real. There's no sense of reality to it. And it is a way of saying kids are wiser than parents. They're not. They're not. Overwhelmingly they are not. And so and parents themselves have too often colluded in this in allowing their authority to break down, with society helping them all along the way. Other adults, I mean my God, other adults authority, adults as authority figures. Every adult is known by their first name. That was an immediate drop in a authority. Who are you to tell me what to do? That notion to another adult, You're not my parent? Who are you? Who are you to tell me what to do? And so other parents certainly have lost their authority, So parents and teachers. God has lost authority. God God has lost authority in two ways. One, there are many many more secular people and God, and for many many people, God is not an authority figure. God's a lover. God is love. A lot of religious people say that, well, then where is the authority. Love is not authority. Love is love. God. God is your pal. God is the guy. God is you know who you have a relationship with, which is fine, that's fine. I'm not against a relationship with God. But the rhetoric of our time, even in the religious world, is undermining of divine authority. Religion is presented today, or God is presented as a as a sort of Palin Heaven, My Palin Heaven, Hello be thy name, and so Palin Heaven doesn't make demands. Religion is is a place to make you comfortable. Church, synagogue is a place to make you comfortable. It's not a place to hear about the authority of this is right and this is wrong. I'll never forget One clergyman was spoke about God not being judgmental many years ago in a newspaper column that I had read, God is not judgmental. God doesn't make moral judgments. That was It was one of the great moments of my life that this this, And it was a woman clergyman. And I say that because it's not It's not odd. Women are more of the of the compassion variety of the religion should should be comforting and healing that rhetoric, than then the masculine rhetoric of this is right and this is wrong. That's masculine rhetoric. In the feminization of society and religion that has taken place. Masculine rhetoric of right and wrong has been replaced with how do you feel about it? I'm not comfortable with it? So the all authority has broken down except for government. And by the way, you must know this, since without authority there is utter chaos. The human being needs authority. The more you break down parental, teacher, and religious authority, the more strong you build up. The more strongly you build up government authority. You must know that this is rarely pointed out. Government increases in its domination of societal life as the other elements decrease their power. The less power that God, religion, and parents have, the more power the government will have. Lines are full already, and how have you announced the number? I guess a lot of you have either questions or thoughts on this is a very big ultimate issue, the question of authority one eighth Praeger, seven seven six. In case you can get in one eight pr Ger seven seven six. A number of years ago I wrote a column for the for the Los Angeles Times on the subject that it is not belief in God that divides people's values, it is whether or not they believe in a divine text. Jews and Christians who believe in a divine text, I'll have far more in common than Jews who believe in a divine text have with Jews who don't believe in a divine text, or Christians who believe in a divine text have with Christians who don't believe in a divine text, because only divine texts have authority. Man made texts have no authority. Thank your calls, and much more to offer you on this edition of the Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: We'll continue right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, and every week at this hour, I have the Ultimate Issues Hour, an hour on some great issue of life, and this one is on authority. The breakdown of authority is the breakdown of society, and that is what we are seeing in America. Parental authority, teachers, authority, police authority. I didn't mention that one earlier, the contempt with which police are held in many places. They should be feared police. Sorry, folks, they should be feared. By the way, so should parents in a certain way. When you're young. It's good for a kid to say if I did that, my father would kill me or my mother would kill me. I want kids to to say that. They need it terribly. Now, if that's the only emotion a kid has to a parent, that's not good. But we've gone way, way, way, way overboard in the other direction. Parental, teacher, police, Where is my list here? What else did I say? Oh? Of course? And God and religion and text? So the you know, and the reason And that's the key here. What is the reason? Because people don't like to have any authority. The human being rebels against authority. We want to do what we want to do. Like the Swedish woman that I interviewed and played you the interview I played it for you. You believe in any religion? No, you believe in God?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: So where do you get your notions of right and wrong? My heart? That's it. Her authority is her heart. Doesn't work, folks, it doesn't work. Let's go to your calls here and we begin in Evergreen, A, Colorado, and Yvette, Yvette Dennis Prager, thank you for calling.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Hi, I was calling about your authority issue. We have two children who we have raised to address adults as mister or missus. Many times the adults will respond by saying, oh no, please have your child call me Kathy or Tom.
Speaker 2: I know, and there's nothing. There's nothing you can do?
Speaker 7: Then really, oh no, Actually we've come up with an answer.
Speaker 2: People, what is your answer? I'm very curious.
Speaker 7: We say to them, I'm sorry. I don't mean to be disrespectful to you, but we are trying to teach our children that time has not made them equal to you and that your life experiences are valuable.
Speaker 2: Do you actually say that to these people?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: Do they stay friends?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 7: And you know, it's funny because many other parents that we spend time with also share these views. But very often we'll run into people who either I work with or my husband works with, or even people who don't have kids have never really given much thought to these issues. And the comment that we often hear from them is, oh, it makes me feel old, And I.
Speaker 2: Say, you know, that's right.
Speaker 7: Two years old. You're old.
Speaker 2: That's right exactly.
Speaker 7: You're older than my nine year old.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'll never forget. Thank you well said you Vet. Your kids are lucky. I will never I wrote this up actually about twenty years ago. Who was the it was? It was a great uh what was the Boston Celtic star bird, Larry Bird? Larry Bird? It was by just cheer coincidence. I just remember is Larry Bird mentioned once when he was still a player that some kids said mister to him, and he felt so odd that a child would say mister because it meant he was older, and so on. It's this my generation has not wanted to grow up. I'm not I'm not picking on Larry Bird, who you know, supposedly a terrific guy in many ways, but or a terrific guye period. But I just happened to remember that particular quote that I cited one eight Prager seven seven six one eight p R A G E R seven seven six. My friends, I say this about many of these ultimate issue subjects. There is none more important. There may be some that are as important, but there is none that are more important than the question of authority. I want you to ask about your own life? What has authority over you? What do you recognize you have a religion that has authority over you? Do you have a god that does? Do you have a teacher that does? You have a parent who does? Or is it only the government? Is that it? One eighth pr A g Er seven seven six run in Los Angeles, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 6: Hi, Hi Dennis, how are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm well, thank you, Dennis.
Speaker 6: When I was many years ago as a young professional CPA, I was given a huge amount of responsibility, but because it was not an owner in the company, I was not given the corresponding authority, and I realized that to have responsibility without authority is really really tough, and I think that directly applies to the issues you're speaking of today. How so well, I think parents, teachers have the responsibility, but like you say, their authority has been taken away.
Speaker 2: Oh, it doesn't work. You mean, the responsibility can't be lived out if you don't have Yes, that's.
Speaker 6: Right, exactly, the teacher can't, that's right, correspondent.
Speaker 2: Well said Ron, It's exactly right. A teacher can't do a job without without authority nobody or parent. A parent can't do his job or her job without authority. But the age of egalitarianism has and the age of stupidity have coincided to make what I am talking about possible. That there is no more authority, And frankly, I much rather have people have have multiple authorities than just the government. It's very scary to me that the government has all the authority in a human's life. I wish that there was. I wish that there had been a more religious authority in Nazi Germany might not have had the catastrophes of World War two on the Holocaust. Oh, okay, let's go to Sarasota, Florida and Lyle. Hello, Lyle Dennis Prager.
Speaker 5: Question that I have. I was brought up a very stretch household. I don't know if you're familiar with the men in I background or not.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes I am.
Speaker 5: You know father's father is the law, second of command. But my mom also taught us to ask questions, to question authority, not to follow blindly. What age do you do you say, like, as my wife and I are starting a family, what age do you start telling your child? As Okay, to question authority, still give the respect.
Speaker 2: But well, I want before I answer you. I am very curious. Do you like the type of adult you have become?
Speaker 5: Yes, I think that I'm that I'm a well rounded adult, right, I don't follow blindly, you know.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, that wasn't my question at all. I just want to know. See, a lot of people who are raised in strict homes may have had various painful experiences, but they end up often liking the way they turned out.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think that I've become mature adult. You know, I'm happy with the way that I was.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, No, I just wanted a note. I mean, you know, it may have been too strict for my taste, but you came out all right. Anyway. The answer to me is questioning is not a problem. Defying is a problem, definitely. And that's what I think a lot of people have confused on both sides of the issue. I take there. I take my lead from the Bible. Abraham challenged God, but he didn't defy him. We'll be back in a moment. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody. This is the Ultimate Issues Hour the Dennis Prager Shows, and it is an hour each week devoted to some great issue of life. Authority is the issue. And you can almost define the problems of society today by the breakdown of all authority except government, teachers authority, parents authority, God's authority, religion's authority, scripture's authority, police authority. They're all they have all been undermined systematically. So and the reason for it is to a increase governmental authority and b to enable one to have to listen to no one but one's own self. That is the general human desire. I want to be accountable to nobody, just my own heart. All right, let's take some more of your calls. One eighth Prager seven seven six and Ethan in prosper Texas. Hi, Ethan, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 8: Hi, Dennis, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Thank you for calling.
Speaker 8: I wanted to talk to you talk from the perspective of a teacher. I've moved to Texas, but I'm a transplant from LA where I taught in several private schools in West Los Angeles. And of all the private schools that I taught at, one of them did have the students address their teachers by the first by their first name, and I found that the students' respect for authority was by far the lowest in that school.
Speaker 2: It's it's inconceivable otherwise. Can you imagine in the in the military, instead of saying a general, you said Fred.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, and it's just a it's just such a basic opportunity to uh, to give children a chance to respect authority. I use a title, you know. And you had a caller earlier that was talking about how she wants her children to call other adults by surnames outside of school, and we don't do that, but we do require our children to use a title. So you know, our neighbors are miss Audra and mister Greg and mister Chris and miss Ashley.
Speaker 2: Well, what I mean, you don't, so you do require it.
Speaker 8: We require that they use a title. We don't require them to use the surname.
Speaker 2: The important Oh, I see, it would be like doctor Bob right.
Speaker 8: Well, no, no, no, no, no no. When they go to the doctor, they they I'm just talking about like neighbors.
Speaker 2: So if the neighbor is a doctor, it's doctor Bob right. I understand, Okay, that's a big help. Anyway, that's a big help. I'll tell you what else has even been dropped. Uncle and ant. That's so, you know, you call your uncle and ant by their first name and say instead of you know, instead of of of uncle, Jim, it's it's just Jim. I never called any of my uncles or aunts anything but uncle this or aunt that. Never never maybe later in life, and even then both for the most part, I would give them the honorific of of you know, uncle Murray, but not anymore because that's that's you see, that separates. It's not an equal. The moment I give you a title, I'm no longer your equal. You're my aunt or you're my uncle. This if I, if I had to give one show to summarize the the the great divide in America, it's it's between those who wish to abolish all of these authority labels and all of these authority sources of authority, and those who want to retain them. Yep, this is this is this is the big one. This is the big one of the ultimate issues. To understand what's happening, and that's part of the hatred against again religion se Why is it about conservative religion that divides it from liberal religion. I'll tell you the answer is authority. Liberal religion is of the heart. Conservative religion is of authority. There's divine authority, whether you agree or not. And I don't always agree even but still at least there is the concept this is a sin, this is not a sin, this is right, this is wrong. God said do this, God said don't do that. People know that. Instead, it's toll in your heart. It's what you feel is right. And then you apply to the religion and everybody's happy. Authority has been broken down. Now this isn't to say that all authority is good, my friends, of course not. There have been terrible authorities, terrible or authority has been used terribly. There are parents who abuse their children. There have and are religious teachings that inflict terrible a cruelty. Yes these are true. But the answer to bad authority is good authority, not no authority. But if you went to graduate school, that may have been a little too profound. We'll return in a moment one to eight Praguer seven seven six The Dennis Prager Show, The Ultimate Issues Hour.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this, now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: Doesn't get more important than this. I know I say that often and I always mean it. Not only is the issue this is the ultimate Issues hour. Not only does the issue and I'm Dennis Prager, thank you for being with me. Not only does the issue try take three? Not only does the how else could I interrupt myself? It's a little sad when you're not interrupted by others but by yourself. Who do you get annoyed at? Not only does the issue of authority explain how much is gone awry in our society, it also explains and this is maybe worth doing a Happiness hour on, because if I am convinced, if you didn't grow up with authority, you're not going to be happy. Life will be chaotic. See, because the heart is a lousy guide. A lousy guide. Somebody had to be an authority in your life. A teacher if not a parent, a clergyman if not a teacher, somebody, somebody God if not any of them. But you need some authority or you are going to go crazy. And we have broken them all down here, folks. All that and the notion of question authority is fine. But the people who put that bumper sticker up really don't mean question authority. They mean DeFi authority. I'm all for questioning authority. It's a very healthy thing. Your children, I think, can question you. They just have to know that your answer is the final answer, and sometimes you should change your mind if in fact there is a good argument. But that ends it. That ends it, okay. One to eight Prager seven seven six Slinas, California. Danny, Hi, Danny, Dennis Prager, A little bitter, Yes, sir.
Speaker 3: How are you doing, sir?
Speaker 2: I'm well, thank you.
Speaker 3: I've been listening to you for a long time and one of my greatest accomplishments is getting my daughters to listen to you.
Speaker 2: Oh that's terrific. How old is she?
Speaker 3: Well, I have four daughters.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you have any sons? Do you have any.
Speaker 3: Sons grown up? Except one twelve year old at home?
Speaker 2: So which which one did you get to listen?
Speaker 3: My oldest and the other ones listened periodically, But my oldest is the one that she's made me a grandfather, so she's really appreciated the many of the topics you've had in your.
Speaker 2: Program, wonderful, All right, go ahead by friend.
Speaker 3: Well several years ago, I guess, well, the last time the Cincinnati Reds won the World Series. The following year, they came to visit the San Francisco and I took my kids and my oldest daughter, she was about nine at that time. We got there early watch batting practice, and when when the balls were being shagged by the catcher at that time, it was the starting catcher, the kids would go crazy and start calling him by his first name. And I remember that I began to call him by his last name, but I always begin with mister. I can't remember his name. But he immediately caught his attention, and he threw the ball in my direction, which my daughter got really excited, and she grabbed my arm and we missed the ball, and and so I said, well, you know the great t you know. She just looked at me and she's saying, oh, daddy. Well, the next ball that got hit to him, he came around, grabbed the ball, open up the back door of the back there with a fence, I guess the home run fences, walked around up to the bleachers and handed me to hand me the ball, No kidding, in front of my daughter. Yeah, and he signed it too, and it was a great.
Speaker 2: When Barry Bonds hits his what.
Speaker 3: I was older than that catcher too.
Speaker 2: When Barry Bonds hits another home run, what to do is mister Bonds, mister Bonds, you know what.
Speaker 3: That's that's all it takes. Everybody wants a little bit of respect.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's very good. Thank you very much, Daddy. That's that's true. It doesn't happen much. Folks. I want you to ask yourselves this question. What are what do you recognize as authorities over yourself? Everybody will say the government except anarchists. Can you name another one? Police? And that's right, that's a that's a that's a hand of the gun, arm of the government. But it's very it's very interesting. Kids should be asked this question, and adults should be asked this question. Okay, and let's go two Glendale, Arizona and Jack. Hello, Jack, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's me Jack and Glendale. Okay, anyway, yeah, mister Prager, thank you very much for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Notice how it's all become, mister Prager this hour. It's very cute.
Speaker 4: Well, no, that's how I'm from old school. I do that anyway, But you are, I tell you, one of the few public figures that I really respect so deeply.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I try to earn that thank you.
Speaker 4: Yes, sure you do.
Speaker 8: Anyway.
Speaker 4: What I was talking wanting to talk to you about is an insight if I may be so bold as to say, as I told your screener about this idea of authority and how the left al was accused of the right of wanting to force our values on them, and you know what authority do you have? How dare you? And all this? And it confuses us because we feel like, wait a minute, we're not trying to force our values on you. You're and force your values on us. And I realized that it's not that they feel we're telling them what to do, even though they say that they don't even know that. They don't even understand their own minds. What they're objecting to is us telling them what not to do. That's why they want to take the Ten Commandments. It says, thou shalt not thou shalt.
Speaker 2: Well, let me let me try. Let me intervene for a moment here, Jack, and thank you for your call. I think we need to all be very very honest on this. I think we need to be very honest on every issue. The right wants many of its values imposed, and the left want many of its values imposed. I mean, that's just the way it is, and it's perfectly understandable. People want their values involved. The idea that I am a politician and I have a value, but I don't want the society to live by that value is a little absurd to me. I don't even understand that. Imagine someone in the Democratic Party. Look, I personally think that racism is wrong, but I have no desire to impose on the society my belief that racism is wrong. You're perfectly free to run a racist restaurant. If you don't want blacks in your restaurant, go ahead. That that would not be said the left. The left imposes values all the time. The right imposes values all the time. And I think there are more imposed from the left. But they both impose, and that's perfectly legitimate. That's that's exactly what we don't want is personal necessarily personal religious ones. When Catholics tended not to eat meat on Fridays, a Catholic politician who ban meat meat restaurants on Fridays. Obviously that would be over the line, but that's not an issue. We'll be back in a moment. Final segment here of the Ultimate Issues Hour. I hope you've taken this in because this is the great dividing line in the civil war of our country. This is the the great determiner of how a civilization will proceed. This is the Ultimate Ishoes Hour. Each week, this one has been devoted to authority and the breakdown and the vehemence of the attacks on authority. Parental teacher, God, religion, texts. The breakdown of these authorities has resulted in the society we have today. You may like the breakdown, you may not like it, but you have to acknowledge that that's what has happened. There are many reasons for it. One is that there is a natural human proclivity to hating authority. You're not going to tell me what to do. You're not going to tell me I'm right or wrong. Right, that's the natural human inclination. I am my own authority, have a nice day. That's what moral relativism is. What's right for me is right for me, and what's right for you is right for you, there's no moral authority over any of us to which the religious person answers, or at least the religious ones deeped in the religions of America and some other places has been that there is a God who says thou shalt and thou shalt not. That's why the Ten Commandments is such a huge issue to me. It all boils down to the Ten Commandments, not because there aren't other commandments, but because that is the statement of there is an authority or not in your life that is higher than you. The great dividing line is that question. But if the Ten Commandments are just suggestions of an archaic system written all by men with no authority over anybody else, then that's a very different view. But I will tell you that putting the religion part aside, the breakdown of parental authority and the breakdown of teacher authority is a major These are major factors in the chaos in which we live. Why children are out of control and they know it, and while they seem to love it, they don't thrive on it. They're not happier, they're not healthier, and they don't grow up into better adults. Kids need love is all we have heard, and that is true. Kids need love, But I'm coming around to the belief that kids may need authority even more than they need love, and that was a long time coming in my own realization in life. Always amazes me that no matter how many years I live, I keep learning huge lessons. I thought in my twenties that I had learned all the huge lessons there were to learn, and that I'll learn little lessons from then on. That was a big mistake, which is good for you and good for me. Otherwise my show wouldn't have much to teach you, wouldn't The Ultimate Issues hour on the Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: Show tomorrow on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: Why do I do this every week? I do this every week because happy people make the world better.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. This has been Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.