Speaker 1: Life Audio. Welcome to the Praying Christian Women Podcast. I am Milana here with Jamie. How are you? I'm doing great?
Speaker 2: How about you?
Speaker 1: I'm okay. We were just talking off there how we both are feeling tired and rusty. So I was going to play a really mean joke on when me and our listeners to give them an example of our topic today and tell them we are both so tired and Jamie's got a headache and I've been in bed for fifteen hours straight. But we're going to pull through this. But guys, just bear with us. And I was going to use that as an example of if we start an episode like that, that is the perfect epitome of what we're talking about today. So can you introduce us to our topic of the day. Someone knows what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yes, our topic of the day is self fulfilling prophecies. And I was actually thinking, because I just said, oh, I'm doing great, even after I just told you, oh, I'm kind of dragging.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing this great.
Speaker 3: My self fulfilling prophecy will be if I say it, it will be. So, so I'm going to say I'm doing awesome. This is going to be the best episode ever.
Speaker 1: It probably will be.
Speaker 2: It probably will be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I've been really excited to chat about this topic. I want to piggyback this onto some of what we've been talking about with Bible memorization, because I discovered that some of my Bible memorizing blocks we're turning into self fulfilling prophecies in a kind of humorous way. But before I tell you that story, can you give us just a definition so that we're all on the same page it with what we're talking about here.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Britannica definition for self fulfilling prophecy is a process through which an originally false expectation leads to its own confirmation. In a self fulfilling prophecy, an individual's expectations about another person or entity eventually result in the other person or entity acting in ways that can firm the expectations. So kind of in Layman's terms, it's like you believe something and it comes true because you believe it, right.
Speaker 1: And I think that if we take the term like prophecy with the big P like the Old Testament prophets or Biblical prophecy out of it, and if we want to think about it just in terms of common sense. To me, this makes logical sense in the same way that something like the placebo effect makes logical sense. It's not going to happen every single time. It's not more powerful than God. But it makes sense that if you go to school every day and tell yourself that you're terrible at math, that you are not going to get as good of test scores in math. And so you have basically taken this prophecy with a little p that you're bad at math, and you have made it come true. And sometimes the self fulfilling prophecies are things that we say to ourselves. Sometimes they're negative, sometimes they're positive. Another self fulfilling prophecy is when Jamie says I'm having I feel great and we're going to have a great episode, and that lifts up our energy. And let's say she and I hadn't had this back and forth before we got on the air, and I showed up sluggish, and I'm thinking to myself, Oh, this is going to be so hard to get through. And Jamie shows up and says, this is gonna be a great episode. I'm so excited to be doing this. That can become a self fulfilling prophecy, because then I read into her excitement and buy into her excitement, and so then I tell myself, even if it's all on a subconscious level, oh, I better rise up and match her positive energy. I don't want to be the one to bring her down. Whereas if we started the show off kind of like a jokingly, guys, we are so exhausted. If we sound terrible, bear with us. There's a lot of podcasts I listen to where they'll start by saying, like, we're recording in a new spot, the acoustics are going to be strange. You and I have done it before when one of us has had to record on the phone as a listener. I never noticed until they bring it up. But yeah, if you start by saying, you know, sorry, listeners, today's episode is going to be really terrible. We're going to stumble over our words all the time. Not only is it more likely that you and I are going to stumble over our words more than we otherwise might. Even if we stumbled over our words the exact same number of times that we do in a typical episode, listeners would be more likely to recognize it, right because like, oh, they warned us, Oh, Yep, there she goes again, you know, forgetting the word that she was trying to think up. And so my story of why I've been so excited, I think I've kind of turned into a nag to you, so I might need to offer you an apology. Let's do self fulfilling prophecies, and then like two days later, I can't wait, We're gonna do selff. Can we do self fulfilling prophecy soon? I'd really like to do self a feling prophecies.
Speaker 3: No, it's perfect because my mind is like a sieve and I don't think so every time you said I was like, Wow, what a great idea. This is all of it a great concept, even after.
Speaker 1: I excited five times. So you and I were talking about Bible memorization, and I loved that little mini series that we did. By mini series, I mean two part episode. But I got me thinking about some of my blocks, and I share that historically I had noticed a correlation between going into deep Bible memory work and going into a pretty depressive funk, like as I was starting, and for a long time I just told myself that that was the activation energy required, and then it was like, okay, this always happens when I start memorizing a big passage and then it's going to get better, kind of like I tell myself, the middle of a novel manuscript for me, always feels kind of sluggish, and so I tell myself it's like, Alana, you've been here before. You know it's going to pick up again. It's gonna be fine, So just get through this part that doesn't feel as good. And so I started memorizing some from Romans eight the very next day after, like I think you and I both memoriz like a verse or two. Because we were recording on short notice, it didn't have a ton of time to work on a full passage. But like the day after I started like a whole paragraph. I was like in bed for a day and I'm like, okay, here we go again. It was sort of like yep, I called it. And so I did that thing I do where I told myself, Okay, you know sometimes this happens. It's going to be worth it. It's gonna be two or three kind of mentally sluggish days, but want it be nice to be back into regular Bible memory work again. And I was even gonna text you and be like it happened again. But of course when you're in that kind of funk, you don't text anybody and tell them, then you're in that kind of a funk. Okay, So here's where self fulfilling prophecy comes in. And I am like laughing hysterically on the inside, because this is not a story of poor Alana who gets depressed but then musters through it so she can memorize the Bible. By day three, like everybody was noticing, I was going to bed at like five or six at night. Finally Scott's like, what's up. I'm like, I don't know. I didn't want to bring up the Bible memory thing to him because it just sounded silly. And then I went to the fridge where I keep a little I think it's a pint. I had a pint of dairy free sorbet, and that's my treats to myself. I get it on the grocery orders. When Scott goes into town, he brings me back like a pint of dairy free ice cream. So I went, I'm like, probably the sugar's not gonna help, but oh well, I go to unscrew the lid. I realize this pint of ice cream that i'd been just kind of, you know, eating through for the last week. They hadn't given me the dairy free version, and so like I've known for over a year that dairy really messes up my brain and my inflammation and my joints and my mood. And so I just had to laugh, like I've been I the moment I noticed that, Like, I didn't run up the stairs because my joints were not at the ability to run, but I had a lot more energy going up the stairs than I had in days. To tell Scout, like I figured it out, I'm not broken, I'm not dying. I'm not being punished for memorizing the Bible. I ate, I've been eating this dairy for like a week. And so but here's the thing. If I hadn't a learned how to muster through that of Okay, it's going to be hard and then I'm going to get through it, I would have just quit. I would have said, Yep, Bible memory leads to depression. Depression is not worth it. And if I had not been open to you know what, because picture me at my pridefulest worst, could you picture this tiny bit of like I'm so special that the devil has to punish me when I try to memorize the Bible, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, oh, definitely, because there's I mean, there's just like a whole theology, kind of sub theology I think in Christian culture about well, if the devil's not persecuting you, you're not doing it right, and exactly kind of a pride in Oh, yeah, I'm suffering these attacks because I'm doing this thing. And not to say that that doesn't sometimes happen because it doesn't have to, but it doesn't have.
Speaker 2: To, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think this was a perfect example of a self fulfilling prophecy that in my brain I was like, well, obviously this has to be because I started memorizing the Bible again, But it had nothing to do with that. I had to deal with the fact that I was eating like spoonfuls of dairied ice cream all week long. And I think one of the most common self fulfilling prophecies that Christians can fall into is this idea that you just talked about. Before I do something big for God, the Devil's gonna come after me. And yes, we should always be aware that certain things will open us up to spiritual attack. But there's a huge difference between that and I think about Gideon. So here's the enemy army, here's the Midianites. And they hear one of their men talking about the stream he had where Gideon attacked and destroyed all of them, and so they tell themselves, Oh, this must mean that Gideon is going to attack and destroy us all. So they're already getting into a superstitious funk. And then they hear these trumpets that Gideon is blowing. Gideon and his three hundred men, who without any type of divine intervention and without this superstitious belief that the midia Knites have bought into, have no means of defeating them, but they're already primed to be prepared to be defeated by Gideon. Did they kind of go crazy and turn on themselves. I don't want that to detract from the miraculous deliverance God view of the Israelites that day, But I think that even somebody who didn't believe in God but still believed in the historical events it's written in judges could look at that and say that that was a self fulfilling prophecy that the fact that the Midianites were so terrified that they were going to be defeated is what ultimately led to them being defeated. And I think as Christians we do that to ourselves. And I think it's also important to remember self fulfilling prophecies can be for positive or negative things.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, this is self fulfilling prophecy. So our son was out shooting pucks and stop me if I've shared this before, like recently, I feel like maybe I did.
Speaker 2: Have I shared it.
Speaker 1: I think you did, but I think it was on True Crime Junkies because we recently talked about an episode about like the power of positive.
Speaker 3: Indem Okay, yes, yes, So that's a different podcast, same story, So go for it. If you're not a Christian True Crime Junkies listener, this will be new. If you are, then it won't. But that's okay. So he went out, he was shooting pucks and at the net we have in our backyard, and he has this little radar gun that sort of like gauges the speed of the bucks. So he was trying to make it over seventy miles an hour, and he was getting.
Speaker 1: Like sixty eight sixty eight.
Speaker 3: Sixty eight was like the top, and he said, as soon as I get to seventy, I'll be able to do it a bunch, like because he knows, you know, he kind of knows like once I because I'll know it's possible. And so it's that's sort of a similar thing. Like basically, so he finally he inched up sixty nine and then seventy and then like he was able to shoot a few more at seventy miles an hour because he knew that was possible. And so I don't know, that's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy might be having the mindset there's no way I can get over seventy sixty eight is kind of the max.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, wait a minute. I am shocked right now because you told this story. And I was like, okay, that's a great example. And then I started to think, seventy miles an hour, that's actually pretty fast, and then I realized this is not on ice that we're talking about. It's on fake ice.
Speaker 3: So we have little you know, like the preschool like square mats that interlock with the little fingers that interlock together. We have that, only it's fake ice. It's not Okay, you can't skate on it. There's some that they make you can, but this you can't skate on. But it's just basically like a certain kind of plastic that mimics the ice. So we have a big pad of that, and so they'll stand there on the pad with the pucks and shoot it and then it goes you know, five feet, and then they lift the puck anyway, so you know, it goes a little bit and then lifts and so yeah, that's how he can get it going faster because there's way less friction than like the concrete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, No, that's really cool. I mean even on ice and ice equivalent seventy miles an hour. That is really fast.
Speaker 2: He's got a pretty strong shot. That's cool.
Speaker 1: That is very cool. So yeah, when we talk about self fulfilling prophecies, have you, like, I know, Christians don't love the word jinx, and I don't either, because it does bring superstition. But I think that sometimes the idea maybe comes from the same root. It's this idea of okay, if you believe something like That's why I'm not the kind of person who believes in jinx. Is like there are times where even with Christians, all say something like it has been a great week, we haven't had any days under thirty below, and they'll be like, don't say that, don't talk like that, because that's gonna make it happen. And I've I've just decided to adopt the mindset of the more I call out wonderful things that happen in my life, the more grateful I am. And that I mean, that could be a period that could be enough right there, But why in the world would that make God less likely to want to keep on blessing me? Right? So, can you think of any times in your life where you've kind of fallen into traps like this, either with like self fulfilling prophecies of your own or anything along the lines of what we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Yes, One really interesting thing for me is I always tell people that I'm really bad with names that I'll remember face I can't. I'm good with voices, Like I'm really good with voices, Like if I hear if I'm watching a movie and I hear someone talking and like, oh, that's so and so, but I don't remember their name, Like I'll connect the dots and like what's that actor's name, but I'll know that it's the same person. So anyway, I've gotten into this habit of, say, of just being like, I'm really bad with names. But I remember one time, and it was in high school and I was at a party and I decided, like I basically said, I'm going to be good with names, and I focused on the people and I even told it to someone. I'm like, I'm going to be I'm going to remember everyone's name like that I and.
Speaker 1: I actually was. It was weird.
Speaker 3: It was like, as soon as I like tell intention for that to be a priority, I actually And so I look back on that and I think, you know what, if I could do that on command. Maybe in general, I don't focus on names enough and I let them go in when you're and out. The other kind of like when I ask my kids what they want, you know, for a snack, and I give them three options and then I don't listen. I don't pay attention to what they say. But it's like what you focus on can particularly be done. So I've been, you know, I think I've been trying to tell myself things like, cause I tell stories about myself. My stories are I'm disorganized. It's hard for me to keep my house clean. I am never on time, you know, just name the things. And I've created these stories about myself and I live up to them unless I choose to say something different. And this whole conversation is making me thinking that I would like to not only say, oh, like this is going to be the exception to the rule. I'm going to just I'm going to overcome this one day by saying, oh, I'm going to be organized today, but you know, just create different narratives, like replace the old narratives. And I know a lot of people have said that you need to do this, but it's powerful for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know with names, because I've gotten to where I can catch myself before I say something that I think might be a self fulfilling prophecy.
Speaker 3: You're really good, by the way, at I noticed very much like you're very particular about your word selection, and I love that. And it has over the years, whether I've said it or not, I've noticed it, and it really has been a good example for me. Anything from like there are certain words that you won't say, like I'm trying to think of the ones.
Speaker 1: Like lazy, the biggest lazy procrastinate.
Speaker 3: Those are the two that I said something late about lazy and like the look on your face, I was like, I said something wrong, and that was like early on. I think it's been years, but it was early on in that hole and then you kind of explain. But anyway, I didn't mean to interrupt, but I love that. I really am the kind of person that interrupts a lot.
Speaker 1: No, you are the kind of person who has amazing ideas and can't wait to them. And to be fair, since I do a little bit more audio edits right now, like I interrupt you all the time. So but I learned about being particular with my language, especially when the kids were little. And some of it was because we were around so many medical specialists and I was every time one of them would say something like, oh, well, it doesn't matter because he's not going to ever do this, like it was. It wasn't just a cringe, it was I am going to take this curse that you are throwing at my child, and I am going to be the force field that is immediately going to surround our entire family from those words. You know what I mean? That is so good man? There was also a parenting philosophy. I'm sure you came across it too. I think it ties a tiny bit into maybe a little bit of gen parenting, which I never got like super into. But the idea is, if you're let's say you're four year old at was it Valley of the Sun or Valley of the Moon park and Anchorage val okay, and do you remember how it had that super tall tower like it looks like one hundred feet or higher and kids would love to climb up it. And I would always stop myself for our our oldest he was always our climber, just climbing everything. And what I was taught by other moms kind of by example. But I think even sometimes like deliberately not to say was don't do that because you'll fall, right, because the minute they hear in their brain, oh, mom says I'm going to fall. Mom is an authority figure. Does it mean a hundred percent of the time it will make them fall? No? Does it mean that their brains will be more likely for them to fall? I think it absolutely does, especially since as the mom of a young child, you are seeing as such an authority, and so you could say something like don't run on the ice because it's not safe. But you wouldn't under this philosophy. You wouldn't say don't run in the ice because you'll fall and break your arm. Right that is because in a way, that's like a mini curse that's telling them, if you do this thing, then you are more likely to fall and break your arm. So I definitely want to put limits around this because I think that the philosophy gets very abused, and even in Christian circles, and maybe even especially in Christian circles. I almost love to think of this philosophy as connected to the Bible, as staying hydrated for your health is connected to the Bible, like I don't see them as enmeshed, and they're also not contradictory. Where I see danger is when somebody says, oh, if you tell your child don't jump on that rock, or you'll fall and crack your head open, then God's going to hear you, and he's going to make them fall and crack their head open.
Speaker 3: Or the power of your words, apart from God, is going to make that happen, because then that even puts the power on you and your words in a.
Speaker 1: Kind of witchcraft.
Speaker 3: Sense as opposed to just in like the general biblical or non biblical sense of keep it positive and it will not be negative.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And it can be abused in Christianity when you try to use positive thinking to twist God's arm right, So just affirmations, in my opinion, are great, but they can go overboard if you're believing in the power of the words that you're saying outside of God, or if you're using them for just very selfish motivation. So well, that's kind of the limits that I put on it. I don't want to make it so that like God has decreed. I just think that this is kind of general good common sense, like don't swear at your kids and don't tell them they're about at math. Like, to me, that's as simple as it has to be or as complicated as it has to be. But also be careful. You know, if you wouldn't say it to your kid, don't say it to yourself even internally. And the flip side, because so many of us are raised to be so scared of pride that we have the opposite. We would have a hard time looking in the mirror and saying I Jamie Hampton am organized and peaceful and great at podcasting and a wonderful mom. Like we're afraid that by saying those words we might fall into pride. And we have this sense. And again I think this is where this idea of Jingston comes in. We have the sense at the minute we get prideful, God's gonna come and like He's just waiting for us to show that tiny smidge of pride so he can smack us down. And if you think about like the way you think of your children, there was never a moment where anything even remotely like that feeling came into you. And so like, if we being sinful parents don't think that about our kids, there's no way God's thinking about that. And so the way I see it, if you want to say, if it's negative words that you would not tell your child, don't tell it to yourself. Similarly, if it's positive words that you think your children deserve to hear, tell it to yourself. You know, I think there's a huge difference between pride and pride and I wish we had better words. You know, there is the difference of like, Jamie, I am proud of you for doing all the podcasting stuff you do, and I am so proudly arrogant because I'm the very best podcast co host and Jamie chose me. Right. Those are two different kinds of pride, but we don't have two different words for them, the kind of paternal pride, like you did something that bears acknowledgment, so let's acknowledge it. I don't think that that. I think that is so separate from what God is warning us against when he tells us to remain humble, that it's like saying, you know, it's the sin to wear blue, Like it's it's so out of left field, like they're not even related to each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that makes a lot of sense. And yeah, I think it's one of those things where it is hard for us sometimes to separate those two things, especially as women. And yeah, yeah, but I think it's healthy to think about it and try to practice it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. So in addition to being careful about the words we say, how could we tie this into practical takeaways for our prayer lives.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think maybe as we not being afraid to pray big, I feel like sometimes I limit God by the limitations of either what has been done before what seems possible. Going back to the seventy miles an hour thing. If if I am basically thinking that I want to ask God for something, let's say that I have limited God based on what has happened before, what I expect as the status quo, and I think by asking bigger, we are doing the same thing as if we are you know that seventy miles an hour being the limit. As long as I believe that seventy miles an hour is the limit, I'm never going to get pass it. So if I ask above that, knowing that the sky is the limit, and then you know, it gives God more room to operate in ways or bigger.
Speaker 1: And I'm not.
Speaker 2: Talking specifically about prosperity.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about anything, whether it's you know, I prayed for this person for ten years and they have not come to Christ. Now I'm praying for this person and I know, of course God's not going to really move in their lives for a very very very long time, but expecting more opening the doors maybe for good to move.
Speaker 1: I don't know, do you have any ideas we think about this being used in if not, like in our prayers, I could see it definitely be used in how we think about ourselves as women who pray. So if you always tell yourself I'm really disorganized in my prayers, or the minute someone gives me a prayer request and mine forget it. What I've trained myself to do with names because I have a really hard I'm remembering people's names, and if it's somebody that it's really important for me to remember, when I'm introduced to them, i will look them in the eye and I'll say, Megan, Okay, I'm going to remember that. And so I'm basically making a commitment to them that I'm going to remember their name. And so if you tell yourself, yeah, this missionary is going to come and I'm going to feel so inspired to pray for them, and I'm never going to remember it again. Okay, Instead tell yourself, I'm going to remember to pray for this person, or go and tell them I'm going to remember to pray for you. Sometimes I forget, but right now with you, I'm standing here right now, and I remember that I'm going to remember. And so whatever blocks you have, whatever stories you tell yourself about the kind of prayer woman you are, I would examine and ask if there are limiting beliefs there, or if those are turning into self fulfilling prophecies. Oh, whenever I pray for this life gets worse. Whenever I pray for patients, God sends something terrible to me. Is that true? No, like that actually is a falsehood. I'm sorry to everybody who has said it, either in seriousness or in jest. That's just not true. And there is nothing that you will show me in scripture that tells me that anybody who prays for patients is going to experience tribulation, because what the Bible says is the rainfalls on the just and unjust, and so whatever it is. Sometimes, I know you had a blog post that resonated with so many people, and it was this idea of if I start really praying for this person, I'm almost afraid that God's going to make their life bad. Like let's say you're praying for a prodigal, I don't want to pray for them to come to Christ because I know they've got a hit rock bottom before they come to Christ's night. I just feel so bad having go through that. Does the Bible say that every single prodigal must hit rock bottom before they come to Christ. I don't see that anywhere, And so we can re examine how the beliefs that we have, or even the superstitions we have about prayer or about the power of our prayers can be impacting our beliefs.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, another kind of along those same lines is this idea that if I start praying more, or if I start doing this work of God, then I'm going to become a target for the enemy. And that is that is a superstitious belief that can kind of, you know, sort of similar to the praying for someone that they're going to go through hard times, but just kind of being afraid to pray in general because you think that you're going to become, you know, have a target on your back. That can definitely be and it can be self fulfilling prophecy, not because of necessarily attack, but just confirmation bias. You just start to notice, you know, oh, I stubbed my toe this morning, and then I lost my toothbrush, and then I, you know, slam my finger in the door on the way out.
Speaker 1: You know, so things it would have happened no matter what, but since you're looking for them like oh this, you know, like I would have had a terrible week after eating dairy ice cream for a whole week. Like with my body being the way it is, there is no way short of a truly divine miracle that I wouldn't have had all the symptoms that I had. But because I was in my brain saying every time I go and try to memorize the Bible, this happens, I'm I'm looking out for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go ahead and close with our blessing and benediction. May the Lord open the eyes of your heart and fill you with wisdom in the inmost places. May the Glorious Father grant you this spirit of wisdom and revelation, so you may know Christ, who has become for us wisdom from God. In the areas of your life in need of guidance, May God grant you his wisdom and abundance, so that you will not lean on your own insight, but rely on the full ridges of complete understanding, which are yours in abundance through Christ and her.
Speaker 3: Benediction comes from Psalm one thirty four, verse three. May the Lord bless you from Zion, he who made heaven and earth. Amen, we'd like to take just a quick second to thank the team at life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. If you go to lifeaudio dot com you will find dozens of other faith centered podcasts in their network.
Speaker 2: They've got shows about.
Speaker 3: Prayer, Bible study, parenting, and so much more. That's lifeaudio dot com.