Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale Hillsdale dot ed or I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to the Hillsdale Dialogue all of them at q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple, iTunes and Hillsdale. So much news over the weekend. It is believed that more than five thousand Aranians were mowed down in the streets of Tehran and throughout the country by the security services in the service of the Iyatolajamii Hamini Homiani. He did the original revolution. Hamieni is the supreme leader who succeeded him decades ago. So it's no holds barred now. President Trump is weighing his options at this hour. He gave the Iranian regime many warnings on truth social a week ago on this program, on Thursday, on Sean Handy's program on Thursday Night, and then last nine on Air Force Wan. He was asked by reporters and he said, well, they've asked for negotiations. They apparently will bring you that tape a little bit later, but they've apparently decided to go with killing people. Now, the Iranians, according to President Trump, and of course you've got great credibility right now, have offered to negotiate. I don't know what they have to negotiate over. They've killed five thousand of their own people, and President Trump told them, don't do that, and they did it. And then how many went on the air and made fun of Trump and the United States over the weekend. So although the Wall Street Journal is reporting at this hour that there's division in the ranks within the administration, perhaps there is. Let me read you the story. The White House is weighing a last ditch Iranian offer to engage in diplomacy over curbing its nuclear program. We curbed their President Trump obliterated their nuclear program. Even if President Trump currently leans towards authorizing fresh military strikes on Iran, some senior station aids led by Vice President Jady Vance urging Trump to try diplomacy before retaliating against Iran for killing protesters during a two week uprising over a flailing economy and regime repression. I don't believe that, by the way. I think that is a made up thing by people who are not actually JD. Vance talking to the Wall Street Journal by the isolationist wing. I think the vice president will support whatever the President decides to do. Speaking Sunday to reporters on Air Force One, Trump said that Tehran messaged Washington a day earlier that it was willing to enter negotiations over its years long nuclear program. I'll talk with Mark Dubiets about this a little bit later, CEO of the Foundation for the Defense of Democracy. The president said a meeting is being set up, though the US is still looking at quote very strong options. There is a word as well that he will meet with senior aids Tuesday to determine his approach. I hope that approach is to hit as he promised to do. Presidential credibility is earned in ounces and lost in pounds, just like truthfulness and reliability is earned announcers in lost in pounds. Everybody believes that Donald Trump threat right now, all right. He threatened Operation Midnight Hammer, and he delivered on it. He threatened Maduro, and Maduro laughed at him. And Maduro is in a jail cell in New York City. So the president's credibility literally could not be higher right now. It could only be damaged if he walks it back and engages in the favorite tactic of the Iranian theocrats, delayed, delayed, delay, delay, divide, playoff of the best hopes and the worst fears of Americans. So here is President Trump on Air Force one yesterday talking about to a CNN reporter about the Iran threat that he is made and whether or not Iran takes it seriously. Cuttnumber six at three, I think, don't you think so, CNN?
Speaker 2: Don't you think so? Would you say.
Speaker 3: That they probably do at this point after going through it for years with me being hit, salivating out back daddy, the red nuclear threat wiped out? Don't you think? And then you just had Venezuela. Don't you think? She says, CNN, do you think they take your threat seriously? What do you say they do after all of the things.
Speaker 2: We have done? What a stupid question.
Speaker 1: It really is a stupid question. Of course, they take the threat seriously. That's why they're begging for negotiations, because the president can bring down that regime with three days of air campaign, I mean a concerted effort, maybe with is reel, maybe without. John Fetterman went on CNN and gave his statement, this is the Democratic Center from Pennsylvania cutt number two.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and now if it could and used to make more sense. Absolutely, I think I was the only Democrat that fully supported our strike of their Iranian nuclear facilities last year, and now by then, without those kinds of strikes, Iran could have acquired a nuclear bomb. I think, I hope we can all agree that Iran should have never acquired a nuclear bomb. And Iran is one of the world's top terrorist unwriter. And now you have that poisonous regime now in spiral.
Speaker 1: So why wouldn't we want to support that?
Speaker 4: And those brave protesters they've killed probably more than six hundred by now, So now why would we want to have the kinds of targeted kinds of action that could break that regime.
Speaker 5: There are sources do tel CNN that there are concerns inside the Trump administration though, that taking military action military strikes could actually backfire and undermine the protests by swelling support for the Iranian government. Do you see that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, if it makes sense, again, if those strikes make sense, absolutely, I do support those things. You know, I don't know exactly what the conversation is. I'm saying I'm open to that, and I am actually inspired by the real kinds of courage that those protesters in Iran.
Speaker 1: Are demonstrated now.
Speaker 4: So I don't know why we can't all want to support that to back then and now bring that awful regime, you know, to its knees now.
Speaker 1: That's where it's at right now.
Speaker 4: They're so desperate now they they killed the internet and now they're mowing down their own citizens. Now they're even so desperate offering six dollars a month as some kind of a payoff now to now For me, I think we can all agree that the world would be better, safer, and more just if you could break that regime.
Speaker 1: I do not believe Lagoshimi saying that there are forces inside the White House who are counseling against striking the regime after President Trump made those threats. I don't believe it. I think it's useful for the legacy media narrative, but I do not believe it. David Ignatius is the senior national security voice for Legacy Media in Washington, been on columns for the Washington Post for many many years. I know David. He's very reliable. Here's what David said on Morning Joe This Morning cut number four.
Speaker 6: So the best case scenario is that.
Speaker 7: A regime whose security forces are weak, are rusty, that failed to help its proxies Hezbola in Lebanon, Hamas and Gaza, Basher Alasade in Syria, and ian Oran itself couldn't fend off and it was Israeli attacked last Yune, that that regime, if gift hard, will begin to crack.
Speaker 6: What does it mean to hit it hard?
Speaker 7: So what it means, I think is heavy munitionis striking barracks, bases, certainly missile production facilities that the rates would use to retaliate. But to show the Iranian people that this security force, which is hated by a lot of the country, isn't so tough that they're going to crush you. They're themselves on the run. I think that's what it would it would look like.
Speaker 1: It would be.
Speaker 7: It would be the barracks, logistic resources and those things can be done and people would noted we have no aircraft carrier strike group in the region. That's true, but you don't need one. I'm told we have enough aircraft in Europe, enough missiles that could be launched to hit the targets that it's not necessary to move the Gerald forward or any other aircraft carry task force.
Speaker 1: In the region right now. And this is what Tray Yanks on Fox News reported Cut number.
Speaker 6: Three Dana, Good Morning.
Speaker 8: Intense anti government demonstrations erupting across Iran over the weekend were met with a brutal crackdown. A source in Tehran, speaking with Fox News via starlink described security forces open firing into crowds of people, using tear gas.
Speaker 6: And arresting thousands.
Speaker 8: Human rights organizations say at least five hundred and forty four people have been killed over the past two weeks, but with an ongoing internet blackout, the confirmed number is expected to increase significantly. Aron's President must sud Pozeski and made a public address yesterday discussing the clashes.
Speaker 1: Don't need to hear regime propaganda. There are very reliable estimates of more than five thousand murdered by the regime over the weekend. Hopefully President Trump and Elon Musk worked together to get starlink working, although I'm not sure starlink can work in Iran to the extent that it worked in Ukraine, because the government in Ukraine welcomed it and put up terminals to receive it. The Iranian regime will try and stop those terminals from being act debated and tracked down. So it's tremendously courageous of the Iranian people to rise up and walk in the streets as they are. And President Trump made a warning on this show, on Sean Hanny's show on Thursday night. He did it on True Social He has made a lot of warning and they have been disregarded by the regime. His credibility is high. I don't think he ought to be talked out about hitting them, and I believe these Israelis ought to go along with us and hit the regime. They're only one hundred and fifty thousand IRGC. Those are the toughest there a couple maybe even million besieged. But those are just thugs. They might have weapons, but they're thugs. Stay tuned. I'll bring you the latest from the RAM when I come back on the You Do It Show. Welcome back, America. I'm Jue Gwett, joined now by former Israeli Ambassador of the United States, doctor Michael Orrin, from Israel. Doctor Orrin, welcome, What is your assessment of the situation in Iran and what ought the United States to do, and why.
Speaker 6: Situation in Iran is very troubling.
Speaker 9: Certainly, hundreds, potentially thousands of people being killed going out to protests for freedom from this heinous regime very disturbing, and it impacts all Israelis.
Speaker 6: We're all there for the people of Iran.
Speaker 9: Before nineteen seventy nine, they were our close allies, and we look forward to being allied with them and close to them once again. Having said that, great skepticism here about whether these protests can actually bring down the regime. We're talking about a company country of ninety million people. I don't know how many tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands are out protesting, but still it's not.
Speaker 6: Ninety million, and the regime has immense.
Speaker 9: Means at its disposal for suppressing these demonstrations.
Speaker 6: You're talking about an army of almost a half a.
Speaker 9: Million soldiers, a a guard at Islamic Republican Guard, Revolutionary Guard of close to a half a million soldiers plus besiege. These are these paramilitary thugs. There may be five million of them.
Speaker 6: And so the iran Has regime has just begun to fight.
Speaker 9: Now whether the United States will intervene or not, I think it's always at this point. I think it's a mistake to gainsay what the President says or question what the President says.
Speaker 6: And if he says the United States is willing to use force, I think he very much means it.
Speaker 9: I think the American military would like to gather that force, assemble that course within a striking distance of Iran.
Speaker 6: Though you know, American strategic bombers.
Speaker 9: Could take off in Idaho and be over the skies of Iran in a matter of fifteen hours or even less. Still, I think the American military would like to have a very large military.
Speaker 6: Presence in the air, which includes moving.
Speaker 9: Carrier strike forces, may take a few weeks.
Speaker 6: Having said all that.
Speaker 9: My gut feeling, my gut feeling, Hugh, is that this is going to end.
Speaker 6: In some type of deal.
Speaker 9: And I think there are intimations both from the Iranians and the.
Speaker 6: United States that these that context contexts towards such a deal are already going on.
Speaker 9: What that deal may look like, That deal would look like something like Venezuela, when you get rid of the bad guys, get rid of the bad malas, which may be redundant.
Speaker 6: I don't know any good mulas.
Speaker 9: And their elements in the IROs. We see, he will say, well, let us take over and we will reorient. We will reorient Iran back to the United States, which would be a tremendous not just financial victory for America. I'ron of course a major supplier of oil, but also give the United States immense leverage over the Chinese because the Chinese economy is almost entirely dependent on irody and oil.
Speaker 6: Think about that, But that would mean.
Speaker 9: For America and the world, without firing a single shot for Israel, the outcome would be would be okay. It would could be much better if the regime would disappear entirely. But a regime that has been defanged and now newly connected with the United States, not with Russia, not with China, is very much in Israel's interest now.
Speaker 1: Doctor Orrin Donald Trump has threatened four times Iran if they murdered their people, he would hit them. He did it on True Social a week ago, he did it on this program on Thursday, he did it on Sean Hannay's program on Thursday night. He did it on True Social Overnight and on Air Force One. So it's really five times. He's worn the Iranian and now the numbers are horrific, maybe more than five thousand people gunned down, ten thousand people taken into custody. Can he afford not to do something, at least hit a missile factory, hit some IRGC facility, do something to back up his threat.
Speaker 6: He certainly could.
Speaker 9: And I think when the president puts a credible military threat on the table, he intends to use it. He puts that pistol on the table, not just as previous administrations would put a pistol on the table and had no intention of using that pistol. It actually broadcast American weakness. When President Trump has put that pistol out there, he intends to use it and that strength. We saw how it worked in achieving the release of Israeli hostages. We saw how it worked in framing the Abraham Accords. It has worked again and again, and it can work here.
Speaker 6: It's to work.
Speaker 9: How if you bomb IRGC headquarters, if you bomb missile silos, it's not going to bring down the regime again. You're going to still have the five six seven million armed people are going to come out of that regime and knock these protesters on the head and kill them, because the regime is not going to go quietly into that good night. It could also resolve their gene may turn around and fire some missiles at Israel, and that would bring Israel into the fray as well. I think that the use of military force is the means to an end, and the.
Speaker 6: End probably is a negotiated.
Speaker 9: End where the Rians will give up their nuclear program, that will surrender their highly enriched uranium, They will mothball a large segment of their intercontinental ballistic system, and as I said earlier, will reoriented their foreign policy and their oil policy toward the United States.
Speaker 1: Doctor Oran. If Iran were to hit at Israel and the sort of weird calculus that Taddam Hussein used in the nineteen ninety one golf when he invaded Kawait, America led a coalition to oust him, and he sent goods at Israel. I don't think Israel will sit back this time, as they were asked to do and did in nineteen ninety one. What would the response from Israel be if Iran send another wave of ballistic missiles its way.
Speaker 9: Be massive, and I think that John Trump is not going to hold us back. I think that was clear from his most recent meeting with the Prime Minister and that Iran no longer has air defenses. Iran is completely vulnerable them they move those missiles out of their silos, they will be hit, and not just the silos. I don't think anybody will be immune from Israel's reaction. First of all, and above all, the Iatotal committee.
Speaker 1: Now doctor worn last question. The people of Iran are bankrupt. The real has now fall into something like two million for one American dollar, and it's falling still with the unrest. But we did not neither Israel nor the United States hit carg Island, which is their major oil export facility. Is that on the table in your view if there's another round of conflict here, I.
Speaker 6: Don't think so.
Speaker 9: I think the idea is that not to keep oil prices going down, not up, and hitting Craig Island would cause a spike in oil prices.
Speaker 6: I think the whole one of the great benefits.
Speaker 9: Potentially of the Venezuelan operation is to reduce oil to fifty or even thirty five dollars a barrel, and which would by the way, have the addition to benefit of sort of bankrupting Russia.
Speaker 6: Think about this.
Speaker 9: This is the geostrategic gratifications of oil diplomacy, and I think the idea is to somehow get this regime to give up its nuclear program, give up its role as the largest state sponsor of terror in the world.
Speaker 6: Maybe not open an embassy in Israel tomorrow.
Speaker 9: But it certainly maybe have really a de facto non belligerency with Israel and again reoriented its foreign policy toward the United States. At the same time bring down oil prices. Bring down oil prices. That will certainly, I think we're down to the president and his party political as the mid terms are approaching. Think about this. Think about this as a as a multi tier chessboard, Hugh. There's much speaking at this moment.
Speaker 1: Doctor Michael Orran, founder of the Israel Advocacy Group. You can also follow him on Exit d R Michael Orran, Doctor Michael Arran, d R Michael orn on X. It's one of the people you can trust on this topic. State twnw right back on the Hugh Hewitt Show, Hugh Hewitt, I'm in Studio West of the Relief Factor of Studio Set, and I'm so pleased to welcome back Steve Hilton, who I hope is the Golden State's next governor and his running mate state former State Senator Gloria Romero, which was a bit of a surprise because she used to be a Democrat and I think it's the first time she's ever been on the show. So welcome to you both. Steve Hilton. Let's talk about why you've asked Gloria Romero to be your running mate. Then I got questions for Gloria Ormo on when she saw the light.
Speaker 10: Fantastic.
Speaker 11: I love love it great to be with you, You happen to you. You lovely to see Gloria as well. We're going to be in person later today in Los Angeles. Look, I've always said that this is going to be a tough fight, an uphill battle to turn around California, to save our beautiful state, and it's not just going to be one person in one role. I've always seen it as a team effort, a team that's going to turn around California, both in terms of the need to elect Republicans at every level in California, the state legislature, county boards of supervisor, school boards, and so on, and also across the board the other statewide offices. It's a massive state, the biggest in America, the fourth biggest economy in the world. I understand about putting together and leading a team. That's how I've always operated when I've started businesses back in the day working in the UK government, so I've always seen it like that. And in fact, there will be more announcements about the team that's taking shape in the days and weeks ahead, But today the focus is on my running mate running for Lieutenant governor, Gloria amer That's not normally done. In fact, it's the first time it's been done in California. These are independently elected positions, and so this is a first in terms of a ticket. But we are very excited about it for two reasons. Number one, Gloria's story is so powerful. She'll tell you about that in a moment walking away from the Democrat Party, the area she represented in the legislature, her understanding.
Speaker 10: Of the Latino community.
Speaker 11: But also the second big point, her understanding of the legislature. I'm running as an outsider to shake up Sacramento, to end the corruption, the failure, and the bloat and the fraud. And we'll get to all that as well, but Gloria having served in the legislature, she really knows how things work there, or I guess the right term will be don't work. And so she's going to be an incredibly trusted guide for me in terms of making things actually happening and delivering the change that we need so earlier today making the announcement return to Senator Romero.
Speaker 1: Senator you may or may not remember I did the nightly news in LA from nineteen ninety two to two thousand and two. You're a Democrats. Democrat, so what happened? And welcome aboard, Thank you too.
Speaker 12: I think with anything, it's always a process overall. If you talk with anybody who worked with me while I was in Sacramento, people knew that I worked across the aisle and I took on some of the biggest challenges even back then as a Democrat. I was one of those Democrats I always have been who believes in school choice. That meant taking on the number one political backer of the Democrat Party, the Teachers' Union. But I did that, and people in Sacramento knew that way back then. I actually have a bipolitical family. Half of the kids are and have been Republican. The other half are Democrats. We are family.
Speaker 13: We believe in.
Speaker 12: Having the right to you know, it's America. You get to say how you feel, and so I've always been very comfortable talking, debating, etc. But the final push was really, even after I left the Legislature, still trying to bring about change within the Democrat Party, when we saw the political coup in which even at that point a bad candidate Joe Biden, but essentially being pushed out in the back room by movie stars and others. It was just a bridge too far. And so like many other Democrats, Telsea Gabbert, Leo Terrell, others, we decided and I talked about it and said, I'm out of here. I cannot stay any longer.
Speaker 1: Center. Would you remind me of where you were both in the Assembly and the State Senate? Were you and ask LUs where was your district located? I can't remember that much.
Speaker 12: The numbers have changed, but I was the twenty fourth Senate different district. That's the east side of Los Angeles. It's un East LA and a good chunk of the San Gabriel Valley, So that was pretty.
Speaker 6: Much my district.
Speaker 1: What a great choice, Steve Hilton because she did run for Sena Ramero ran for superintendent schools when I lived in California. I was excited about that because she's a school choice advocate. How long did it take you to make this decision and who picked up the phone first?
Speaker 11: Well, I'll get into that because I've been wanting this to happen for a long time.
Speaker 10: Gloria and I first.
Speaker 11: Met on that issue of school choice when she was working with Rick Gronell on a ballot initiative, a statewide ballot initiative.
Speaker 10: I had them both on my.
Speaker 11: Show on Fox to talk about that, and then we met in person and we got to know each other. When I started my California Focused policy organization, really the first step towards.
Speaker 10: The decision I made to run for governor.
Speaker 11: Golden Together that's the name of the organization, Non partnersan policy organization.
Speaker 10: I asked Gloria to be on the board of.
Speaker 11: That organization, and we've been working together on policy, in particular education policy for years now. And as that process has gone on and I've gotten to know Gloria as a friend and a partner in policy and a colleague, I came to the view that this would be a great and so I've been asking Gloria for quite a while now whether she would consider this, and I'm very, very happy and proud that she said yes, and here we all today making this wonderful announcement.
Speaker 1: Sarah Ramira, I want to go back to you were a hammer. You were a good Democratic leader. My friend John Campbell was serving at the same time you were, he was on the other side of the aisle. You were very good at what you did. How shocked are your former Democratic colleagues that you're doing this? And will any of them come along and join you? And Steve Hilton then trying to turn our bankrupt state around.
Speaker 12: Well, I think when I actually converted to being a Republican, I don't think many of my former colleagues were shocked because they had seen the progression over the years, the advocacy on school choice, etc. Women's rights, a number of issues overall. Certainly the announcement today, I'm sure many of them are really surprised at that, but I believe that they are aware that I'm committed. When I became a Republican, I said, look, I want to do my share, my part in making California great again. And with Steve Hilton, we've had a very good, long running relationship and really trying to restore the California dream, putting that golden sheen back into California. So school choice issues is a major issue. If I can just say, you know why the lieutenant governor it again too is looking at as a team governor and the lieutenant governor. But when you look at the lieutenant governor, which I often kind of joke about and say, it's sort of like the Seinfeld of state white politics in California. Nobody knows what the LG does, but the Lieutenant governor serves on the bodies of the UC regions, the board of governors for the community college system, also as a trustee for the CSU, and on education that's almost half the state budget. I'm a product of all three of those systems, both having been a student and having been a professor in those systems. So it's a natural fit for me to really work with Steve advocating on school choice, meritocracy and admissions performance, etc. So it's a natural fit overall.
Speaker 1: Steve Elton, we got about a couple of minutes left. Would you remind people what the website for the campaign is how they can help you. Yes, And there are like twenty five Democrats running, which one Katie Porter, has fallen like a rock. Who are you going to be running against?
Speaker 11: Well, it looks like I want to keep saying they're not sending their best.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 11: Now, the person that's risen to the top is Eric Swalwell, if you can believe it, Eric Swalwell.
Speaker 10: I don't know. There may be others getting into the race.
Speaker 11: We don't know yet that yet You've got the billionaire climate fanatic Tom Steyer, through spending a lot of his own money, he's now climbing in.
Speaker 10: The polls as well.
Speaker 11: Look, it doesn't matter who they send, because we need change in California. We cannot have We've already this is the sixteenth year now of one party rule.
Speaker 10: Sixteen years of one party rule. It's not healthy.
Speaker 11: Even if they weren't a complete failure on every front, but they are a complete failure. And that's one of the things that we've been highlighting. I'm just the fraud. You know that, as iways been saying, you know the first time that when the Minnesota scandal came to light.
Speaker 10: However bad it is in term walls as Minnesota.
Speaker 11: You know that it's a thousand times worse in Gaven Newsom's California. And so we've been highlighting that and all these other failures that one year anniversary of the fires. Last week preposterous State of the State speech from Gavin Newsom where he ludicrously claimed that we're a blueprint for the nation, where we're actually with the highest poverty rate, highest unemployment rate, highest costs for gas, electric rent, water insurance, worst business climate, highest in I mean, everything is a failure.
Speaker 1: We are a blueprint for assisted suicide of the state. That's what we are a blueprint for.
Speaker 10: So people can be building a movement for change.
Speaker 11: Let's Steve Hilton for Governor, dot com f o R, Steve Hilton for Governor Volunteer. We've got a really cool volunteer program going on right now. By the way, the fundraising we're leading as well. We're leading in the polls. We're also leading on fundraising. We announced that today as well. That's just about to where we raise more money in the last six months than any other campaign on either side.
Speaker 10: It's really happening in California. I think we can make this well.
Speaker 1: I'm volunteering to moderate.
Speaker 10: Stay around.
Speaker 1: I'll moderate the Steve Hilton Eric Swalwell debate, and Senator Romero, whoever they put up on the Democratic side against you, I'll moderate that as well because I know what you know what you're talking about. Congratulations to you, Steve on a coup and Senator Romero. Keep coming back. California can be saved, but it can't be saved with Democrats. It just can't be. And I'm no longer a citizen here. I'm just visiting for a few weeks. But to get people to come back, they got to throw out the people that are running the state. See hild and Gloria Romero.
Speaker 14: Thanks you.
Speaker 1: I'm coming right back with Senator Tom Cotton on that you do a show BRK back in America. I'm due, Hewitt. Senator Tom Cotton, Republican of Arkansas, is chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee. He has also followed for years the brutal Iranian regime. Senator Cotton, welcome. How do you assess the degree of violence in Iran? It's kind of closed off to us, but you might have sources that others of us do not have.
Speaker 15: You know, you always introduced me as the chairman of the Intelligence Committee. You never caveat that with the fact that it's an oxymoron. So I appreciate it, but we should always probably do so for our listeners. The situation in Irano is that laughing matter. I think the violence is worse than what's generally being reported in the Western media and from outlets, or if you look at outlets such as the Committee on Human Rights in Iran or the Institute for the Study of War, they're getting it closure ride. I think the death now number in the thousands, not the hundreds. And you know, it's just past midnight in Iran's knight. That had another big night of protests. And I think the regime, which doesn't have the ability over that or the desire to address the underlying a grievances of this people, resorting to one of its probably two only options, which is to increase the brutality towards the people. So I support the moral clarity President Trump has exhibited on this growing crisis and the threats he's made to the iotelas, and certainly support the brave people of iron who are yearning for freedom.
Speaker 1: Senter Cotten. The President has made at least four I think now five threats, one of them on this show, to the regime that he will hit them very hard, harder than they've ever been hit. The Wall Street Journal at this hour, though after those five threats by the President, is reporting that the White House is engaged in an internal debate. Some senior administration aids, led by Vice President JD. Vans, are arguing Trump to try diplomacy before retaliating against a roun for killing protesters. I personally don't believe that. You.
Speaker 15: Well, I'm sure there are may be some voices to you inside the administration who wants the president not to enforce his own red line. But the only person whose opinion ultimately matters and the administration is the president. And time after time he has enforced his red line. Sometimes he's enforced Barack Obama's red lines area did it twice?
Speaker 1: Well, I just don't think Vice President Vance would leap That's why I don't believe it. I don't think he would leap. Well.
Speaker 15: Well, he makes clear that he means what he says, and he says what he means, and he told the Duro, for instance, that he needed to go into exile, and the DUA was stubborn and pig headed and dug in his heels. And now he's sitting in a jail in New York City, and he told I tell us to turn over there all their nuclear program, and they didn't, and the nuclear program is now in smoldering rooms. So they should take him seriously, no matter what some of his more dubbish advisors might be saying are trying to leak to the media.
Speaker 1: Now sentaty we do not have a strike group, a carrier strike group in the Middle East? Right now? Do we still have options for following through on President Trump's five threats directed at the IATOLA?
Speaker 15: I think it's fair to say, after Operation Midnight Hammer last June that blew up Around's nuclear facilities and the operation to apprehend Nicholas Maduro, that the United States military has amazing capabilities that never puts any kind of operation outside of its grasp, no matter where this or that military asset may be located on the globe.
Speaker 1: How weak do you think the regime there is? It seems to me I've been following it for forty seven years, since the initial running and revolution against a Shaw, It's never been weaker than right now. But I also believe that they probably butchered thousands of people in the streets in the last four days.
Speaker 15: I think it's incredibly weak, as weak as it's been maybe since the I Coola seized power in nineteen seventy nine. I don't think they can whatever happens from these protests, I don't think they will ever be able to restore themselves to the aspirations they had just six months ago or eight months ago, whenever it was before operation with that dammer of regional hegemony. I think they've been exposed to the second or even third rate power, and their own people have had it with them, as we've seen over the last couple of weeks, and that's why they're having the resort to this kind of brutality.
Speaker 1: I would like to play for you, Senator Cotton, a segment of President Trump on Air Force One last night when a CNN reporter asked him if he thought that the Iranians took him seriously cutting number six.
Speaker 2: Don't you think so, CNN? Don't you think so?
Speaker 3: Would you say that they probably do at this place after going through it for years with me.
Speaker 2: Being hit salivating out back, Daddy, the red nuclear webbed.
Speaker 3: Out don't you think, and that you just had Venezuela. Don't you think she says see it at Do you think they take your threat seriously? What do you say they do after all of the things we have done? What a stupid question.
Speaker 1: Senta Cotton. I got through twenty minutes with the President and he didn't say I'd asked a stupid question. So I'm feeling kind of victorious after a Thursday's interview because he doesn't hold back when you ask a stupid question. That really is I think he's got a lot of credibility. Does he lose any of it if he doesn't act?
Speaker 15: It was a very stupid question. These these liberal reporters live in a fantasy world, in a world that is not governed by force and by resolution. That's the world that our enemies live in, us in paying Vladimir Putin, the supreme leader of Iran world, Nicholas Maduro is definitely living in now. They stand up and take notice anytime America displays strength and result the way Donald Trump has done now since his return to office nearly a year ago. So of course they are paying attention to him and taking him seriously, even if a bunch of liberal reporters can't understand that. So there's no question, there's no question that they understand. I mean, they're proven them. Their view of President Trump is kind of like so many people's view of Kurt Signetti and Indiana. I mean, how many how many times do they have to stomp a top ten or top five power before you take them seriously and don't think that they've got imposter syndrome.
Speaker 1: I agree with that, by the way, and that's a very good analogy. In terms of options available to the president, they don't all have to be kinetic. They can they do anything to reconnect Iran to the outside world because we don't know what's going on in the darkness.
Speaker 15: Sure, I don't want to get into the precise details of every option, but no, suffice to say, the president has many options to help reduce the violence against the Iranian people and increase the pressure on the regime, many different levers that the United States people.
Speaker 1: Now, last question, Senator, we know Israel would applaud any application of forces there. What about our Gulf state allies? Would they welcome the regime toppling falling apart in Iran?
Speaker 15: They might not be vocal about it, Hugh, but I think most Arab nations have had it with Iran and Iran's efforts to try to establish that regional dominance over Arab peoples, and many of those air nations have cooperated with US in the past in ways that have often get a lot of publicity. But is very, very welcome from the United States.
Speaker 1: Standpoint Centaer Tom Cotton, always a pleasure. Thank you, Senator. I appreciate your time today. Don't go anywhere, America. I'm going to come back later this hour with Mark Dubowitz. More of your phone calls during the break one eight hundred and five to two oh one, two three four. Do you welcome President Trump taking kinetic military action against Iran or something that we can see. I'm primarily concerned that we not end up with a Barack Obama redline that evaporates and all that follows, or a Joe Biden collapse of will in Afghanistan. Iran is always prospered that the Mullahs, I should say, the Mula is not the Iranian people. The Mullas have always done well under Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama and Joe Biden. They haven't done as Well, when a Republican's been in office and Donald Trump is their worst nightmare, I want him to stay that way. Stay tuned. What do you think? One eight hundred and five to two oh one two three four connection you to me, Heal, Welcome back to America. I'm Hugh hewittt. As you heard me say at the beginning of the show, the biggest story in the world is what's going on in Iran. And I know we are all have our favorite interesting stories, and I cover the news as it breaks, But the biggest story in the world is in Iran. For forty seven years that tyranny has been in place, and for almost as long, the Foundation for the Defensive Democracy has been working to bring it down and free the people of Iran. Joining us now is the CEO of the Foundation for the Defense of Democracy, Age Mark Dubovitz, who has been on with me before. He did a great podcast Areas last year on Iran, which in twelve parts. He added another part this weekend called Iran Breakdown. I recommend it to you. Mark. Welcome. Let me start with a big what's your reaction to what's happened over the last two weeks in the day, Well, cheer.
Speaker 13: Thanks so much for having me on. Look here, it's extraordinary.
Speaker 16: I mean, as you said, I've been working on Iran for twenty two years, working with lots of administrations, including the Trump administration. Both Trump administrations on maximum pressure on the regime but also encouraging maximum support.
Speaker 13: For the Iranian people. And the Radiom people have been out of the streets.
Speaker 16: Since two thousand and nine, repeatedly calling for death to the dictator and the Islamic Republic, establish relations with America, with Israel, and now in the past two weeks they've taken to the streets. Millions of Iranians are on those treats, but they're also getting mowed down by the security forces. Thousands of Iranians have been slaughtered, Tens of thousands have been arrested, tortured, and dozens executed. So it is a pivotal moment for the United States, for Iran, for the region.
Speaker 1: So I've stressed in my audience they can't trust what they see on X unless they know that the person on X is someone they can trust. They can trust you and trust Cliff may Kareem Saide you pour at Carnegie. You've got a lot of colleagues at FDD, I'm pushing out, how do you tell if you're just, you know, newbie to the Iran issue, who to trust on this about what's going on there since the regime is severed outside world contact with the people of Tehran and across all of Iran.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean here, listen, it's difficult to know what's going on in the ground because, as you said, they've shut down the Internet, they're interfering with starlink access. Videos are still coming in, and we're certainly seeing what's happening on the ground. What do I trust? I don't trust any but he defending the regime number one. Number two, I don't trust anybody saying that US intervention is going to lead to some kind of rally around the flag. The notion that millions of Iranians are on the streets and they're getting mowed down by the security forces, but somehow, with President Trump intervenes and goes against the regime, these Iranians are going to defend the regime, I think is nonsense.
Speaker 13: So anybody's saying nap should not be trusted.
Speaker 16: I think a lot of good Iranian voices, my colleague said, got Samanajad certainly Resipolovy.
Speaker 13: I mean, he's all.
Speaker 16: Over social media, the crown Prince, the son of the former Shaw. He has been very articulate and I certainly would trust many of the things that he's saying.
Speaker 1: Okay, now let's talk about what the president can do. He was my guest last Thursday, and he said very bluntly, will hit him very very hard if they kill people. But he also gave him a little bit of an out. He said some of these deaths were because of stampede. Later that night, he didn't use that out with Sean Hannity as much, and it's been totally abandoned by Sunday night. The president now knows there are thousands of people dead. I'm sure we've confirmed that to him. What could he do, in your view that would be most effective in framing Iran?
Speaker 13: So I think there are a number of things he can do.
Speaker 16: I mean, first of all is to target the security forces that are actually engaged in this brutal repression.
Speaker 13: Go after the repression apparatus.
Speaker 16: And you could do that through offensive cyber and or military strikes against the IOGC design of Revolutionary Guard Corps, the besiege the police. These are the people that are engaged in this brutal repression. Number two is already to reach out Thelon mosque Is to try to restore or improve the starlink connection. So these videos are coming out Iranians right now being murdered in the dark. They need to be brought to light, and that's very important. I think the presidents and Elon can do that.
Speaker 13: Number Three.
Speaker 16: You know what Premister Natyahu and President Trump discussed at the end of December that you reported on you was the growth and reconstituting Iranian missile program, which is going to represent a significant threat to the United States and Israel. As it gets rebuilt. The Israelis are going to go take it out. I think better the United States takes it out. Because of the United States takes out the missile program, Kamine, the Supreme leader of Iran, is going to be quite reluctant to respond because he knows that if he tacks the United States, that's the end of his regime. If the Israelis take it out, it's going to lead to another round around with fire. Hundreds of thousands of ballistic missiles at Israel, and we're going to be in a major war in the United States, and President Trump's going to have to deal with that.
Speaker 13: So I think President Trump, if he has the.
Speaker 16: Opportunity, take out those dangerous ballistic missiles, support the people, unlock the communications, go after the regime apparatus.
Speaker 1: Mark. This is a difficult question for anyone to answer, but you'll know if anybody knows. I heard Kareem today in a podcast with Dan Senor say that the IRGC is one hundred and fifty thousand strong. All right, Iran ninety million people, ten percent, nine million people, one percent of nine hundred thousand people, So one hundred and fifty thousand igher GC members. That's a third of one percent. How hard is it to overthrow one hundred and fifty thousand thugs. It's a lot of thugs. They got a lot of guns there, or any other guns in the Iran. But that's not a big police state. It's a relatively small, isn't it.
Speaker 13: Well, there's one hundred fifty thousand ier GC.
Speaker 16: There's probably two to three million members of the Basiege, which is their militia. Those are the thods that drive around in motorcycles and beat up and torture and kill Iranians, So you've got a couple of million there, and they're also importing.
Speaker 13: Thods from Iraq.
Speaker 16: This is the Iraqi Hizbala and the Schiaik militias that they're bringing in, bringing in Arabs to kill Persians because in some cases the security force is throwing to turn their guns on their own people. So the regime's apparatus is formidable.
Speaker 13: But you're right, listen.
Speaker 16: I mean, there's ninety two million Iranians, and if ten percent came to the street, they.
Speaker 13: Could overwhelm the security forces.
Speaker 16: And certainly some of them are armed, particularly some of the Kurdish groups, the Baluchies and others.
Speaker 13: So I think that's that's certainly a potential.
Speaker 1: So, Mark, you're not old enough to remember the actual revolution. I watched it in real time with Right Price and Richard Nixon San Clementy my second job out of college. People marched in the daytime. Then do you expect anti regime marches to occur in the daytime?
Speaker 13: Yeah, they are.
Speaker 16: They're occurring in the daytime, they occurring in the nighttime. I mean, what I'm worried about you is that if there's no US intervention, that these protests are going to die off because of the brutal repression, and whether it's day or night, the guns are being turned on Iranians.
Speaker 13: Thousands are being slaughtered.
Speaker 16: At some point, They're just going to have to They're going to stay home, and if they.
Speaker 13: Stay home, the regime is going to come out of this.
Speaker 16: Yes, a wounded animal, but a bitter one, a lethal one, a much more dangerous one. And I'd be worried that Ryan's will never go back on the streets.
Speaker 1: Follow Mark on exit m dubouts, follow everyone at FTD at FDD, Mark is coming back next hour. So other my drivetime audience in the inside the Beltway, here's them for six minutes to repeat a lot of this. So make sure you listen to those segments of my interview with Mark Dubowitz and follow him and follow the Foundation for the Defensive Democracy Station Morning Glory and Evening Grace America. I'm Hu Jewett. Welcome to our three of today's program. I'm joined by Rear Admiral Mark Montgomery, retired United States Navy, now Senior Fellow with the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies. I had the CEO of FDD on last hour. Mark Dubouts Part two is going to come up this hour. Admiral. I first want to begin by saying I listened to your conversation with Aaron McClain at the School of War. That was fascinating, and I had no idea that you liked the arly Burke destroyer that much. I take a few people up and down that river where they've got three books underway at any given time. There ought to be ten underway at any given time.
Speaker 14: Now absolutely right, arly Burke, we've built eighty of them. We've got ten out a contract. It is the singular best ship build. It is the proof we can do things right when so many other things tell us we can't. It's it's and it's a beautiful ship. I mean, the President and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on that. On top of it, by having eighty and now going to ninety, you can defray costs of any individual change across eighty or ninety ships.
Speaker 17: So a twenty million dollars change costs on that ship, you.
Speaker 14: Know, two hundred thousand dollars, But on a DDG one thousand, well only have three ships.
Speaker 17: A twenty million dollar change costs seven million for that ship.
Speaker 14: So it's a beautiful classes ship built by both you know, Angles and Bath iron Works, you know, in two different states. Beautifully, it is the best surface large service companent in the world today and it will be for the next fifteen to twenty years because the investments we made in new a just baselines nine and eventually ten, in new weapons systems and in modernizing the hull and mechanical plan.
Speaker 1: Every time I go by it, there's one ready to be commissioned. There's one in the final stages when they're putting the aged stuff on it though it's behind the curtain, and then there's one that is just getting underway. So I think they're doing about one every two years. Is that about right up in Bath? I don't know what they're doing in Mississippi.
Speaker 14: I'd say one per year in each yard, and it really gets out too closer to two and a half per year between the two yards total. And there'll be perturbations where we launched four in a year, but then.
Speaker 17: The next year only two. You know how it is. But yes, it's you know what, that's consistent ship.
Speaker 14: But we bought the ones you're watching were bought in a lot of nine ships that guaranteed both yards consistent, predictable money, so they could invest in modernization if they chose to, and they could invest in a work force.
Speaker 1: Now, Admiral the President on this program on Thursday said he is asking for a trillion and a half next year in the defense budget. That's great. Can it be banked if there's nowhere to spend it? I mean, can it be appropriated and banked over it at either bath Ironworks or Huntington Angles or whoever's making whatever general dynamics down in Connecticut? Can Can that money be appropriated and spent but not outlaid?
Speaker 14: So obviously we're talking about an extra five hundred billion the current budget this year's nine hundred one is it's going to be nine. It looks like nine hundred one billion plus about one hundred and fifty billion reconciliation.
Speaker 17: It's just going to be up there.
Speaker 14: May it may a little less one hundred fifty billion of the reconciliation money spent. What he's talking about is increasing at five hundred billion. That's a great question you're asking. I actually think that there are ways to do some of it. You know, with shipbuilding that you could get some multi year money in there, but I think it'd be very challenging spend all of it that fast. I think he's going to have challenges getting a three hundred billion I think the plan would be three hundred billion reconciliation, one hundred and fifty to two billion dollar increase in base, which the Democrats wore, probably push for one hundred and fifty to two billion in non defense discretion rank base. And I think at that point everybody you know from conservative financial circles heads.
Speaker 1: Now, we don't know, we don't want that. Yeah, but I'm thinking that the Columbia Class is not funded, but the defense, the whole triad depends upon it getting launched in eight years, doesn't it.
Speaker 14: Look I think that the Columbia Class will, you know, have some slippage and some cost overs, but I actually think by by current historical standards, it's going to be a good A good program look to be. Twenty one's done fantastic. You've got to give the Air Force a lot of credit. That thing is delivering close to on cost, close to on time with you. And one of the reasons is they've been very consistent, like not making significant changes to the platform was still in design.
Speaker 17: This is something where we failed on the Finkolntarry.
Speaker 14: Class, on the Constellation class frigate at the Fincotary Yard.
Speaker 17: The US Navy got their fingers in.
Speaker 14: The pie way too often changing the requirements and that was a major driver and our failure there. So the answer he is, we probably will get all this done. I don't think it'll be eight years. I think it'll be ten. I don't think if we say it's a one hundred billion, I think it'll be one hundred and twenty. But these are predictable increases in costs and growth.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I'm finally glad to hear some good news, and I was very encouraged by your conversation with Aaron McLain. I recommend everyone go to school of war. Now, what kinetic option does the president have available tonight? There are a million people in the streets of Tehran as you and I are talking right now. The images I've seen are extraordinary. If he wants to send a message to stop mowing them down as has been happening for the last four nights, what can he do that gets the attention of the Ayatolahamini and the IRGC, so I think.
Speaker 17: We have two.
Speaker 14: First of all, there's complaints we don't have a carrier strike over this moment, that's true. But what we do have is a B two fleet that can operate even if Israel had not rolled back the whole Iranian.
Speaker 17: Air defense networks, which they did.
Speaker 14: And then operated with some I would say ease, but consistency over Iranian airspace. Those B two's delivering each delivering you know, up to you know, twenty five to fifty precision guided munitions very accurately, could.
Speaker 17: Really do a number. You know, these aren't the four dough bombs.
Speaker 14: These are lots of small bombs could be delivered very accurately, and they could get in and out safely.
Speaker 17: Also, we could use long ring.
Speaker 14: Strike tomahawks from destroyers that are in the Middle least. And if there are submarines, particularly one of our modified SSGN Ohio class submarines, then we could deliver a lot of tomahawk as well. But really I would be relying heavily on our penetrating bomber, the B two stealth.
Speaker 1: So, Admiral, you're a student of deterrence. We've talked about it a lot. The President has made the threat five times, and as recently as Thursday on this show, that he did it again on Sean Hanny's show, that he did it on Air Force one last night, and he did it on True Social over the weekend. How much does our credibility suffer if he does not follow through with the kinetic strike?
Speaker 14: Now, So, first of all, this sounds a lot like Venezuela over three months.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 14: The thing I'd say, first you don't say I'm striking, I'm striking, is then that night that's not fair to the military forces.
Speaker 17: Try to play around your lack of surprise.
Speaker 14: So the President handled Venezuela perfectly three months of a maximum pressure campaign. I didn't agree with every tool he used, but he's president and he did a great job with it. And by the time he even did like a title fifty, it looks like intelligence strike one night around December twenty fourth, just to send a signal I will hit you.
Speaker 17: And then he hit him right and he grabbed a duro.
Speaker 14: And so I think he's got a lot of credibility.
Speaker 17: And if I say I'm going to use force, I might use it on you. I guarantee.
Speaker 14: China took an important lesson on the on the willingness of Donald Trump to use force. Now in the case of Iran, he said it a lot. Look conditions on the ground, drive that can. Can the application of our cost and position make it safer or more likely for counter regime forces to succeed.
Speaker 17: If they can, then he should use the weapons. But what he signals to them is I'm willing to do it.
Speaker 14: And they know we can bring B two s over their airspace since we did it already, you know, early in twenty twenty five with the four Dooh strikes. So I think he's done the right thing. I don't think we'll lose credibility if he doesn't strike, only because he did it in venezuel and the conditions aren't perfect here in.
Speaker 17: Iran just yet.
Speaker 1: All right, last question, I don't know how starlink works. That you do. You are the executive director of the Cyberslarium. People keep saying Elon sent starlink. It's my civilian understanding, which is a zero, that you've got to have receivers on the ground for starlink in the sky to work. Am I right or wrong? I don't mind being wrong. You can tell the world I'm wrong.
Speaker 14: If I'm wrong, the only way I've used it is with receivers on the ground. I didn't ess I have to have receiver, but someone with whom I was connected to had to have a receiver. So do I think there's starlink receivers on the ground in Iran?
Speaker 17: Yes?
Speaker 14: Do I think that the system? He has to align the system properly so it can be utilized by the people potentially. So I think the question might be, is starlink being aligned so they can properly be utilized by people, you know who are not complicit with the government, And that's a good question to ask him.
Speaker 1: But quick bonus, do we have the capability of interrupting their jamming which is going on of starlink and other cyber efforts. Do we have a cyber tool available that can hit them that we don't have to see?
Speaker 14: We have cyber tools and kinetic tools, and we are world class counter jamming, you know, suppressing jamming with our kinetic tools.
Speaker 17: We're very good at it.
Speaker 14: And you only have to do it once before the guy who owns the jamming system says, you know, I'd prefer to not be on you know, so I would that's a kinetic weapon that could be released at them.
Speaker 17: But in addition, do I think they're cyber tools? Yes.
Speaker 1: Admiral Mark Montgomery or Admiral Montgomery, thank you so much for joining us on both the ship building and the orion question. We'll talk to you again soon on both. I appreciate your time coming right back America with David Vahnson talking about the economistint It. Welcome back in America. I'm Hugh Hewett. I was just reading online joined by David Boson, CEO of the Bonson Group. David, Happy New Year to you. Good to talk to you. I was just reading that President Trump has imposed a secondary tariff on Iran twenty five percent additional tariff on the goods of any country that does business with Iran. I've never seen that before, have you?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 18: Well, I guess I think there have been other issues with smaller countries, and obviously there was a layering of tariffs and sanctions is a better word for it with Russia after.
Speaker 6: The Ukraine invasion.
Speaker 18: But I mean, trying to freeze Iran out seems to me to be pretty good foreign policy.
Speaker 1: Now it is a tariff. I know you don't like tariffs, but that's a national security tariff if everyone was correct.
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah, that's I wouldn't consider that a protective tariff in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 17: It would be a national security sanction.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So what I expect the Supreme Court to do with the case before it is to reman the case without a decision for tariff by tariff examination by the district court as to whether or not there's a national security in nexus. In other words, punt is that your expectation.
Speaker 18: Well, look, you would be more of an expert than I would on the legal side of it. They were not national security rationales for the case that is before the Supreme Court.
Speaker 10: Now it's under.
Speaker 18: AIPA, which is an economic emergency. There is a different rationale between two thirty two and three ZHO one for national security, and no one has even contested the potential constitutionality of those. I don't happen to believe the steel and aluminum tariffs remotely represent a national security concern. But that's different than the case for the Supreme Court, which is under an economic emergency, where they're claim mean that trade deficits are in and of themselves economic emergencies, and I would very much hope that the constitutionalist and originalist on the Court would laugh this out.
Speaker 1: I'm actually an originalist, and I think the IAAPA was written in such a way as to give the court pause. But let's put that aside. What I really wanted to talk to you about is the new year. I'm very conservative going into this new year because I think there hadn't been a correction in a while. What are you telling your clients, David.
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 18: I wrote a twenty page annual review commentary forecast that we do every year. There is up at dividencafe dot com went out on Friday, and I'm talking about the different themes.
Speaker 17: We have our.
Speaker 18: Concerns about the AI theme, which I was on with you late last year talking about, and I believe the valuation concern it isn't so much you going a long time without a correction. I mean, look, the the Nasdaq was down thirty percent and SMP were down twenty percent for a few days last April, so you've you've had volatility, but the valuations and concentration in the broad market are very high, and we are definitely encouraging clients the way we're managing money to be much more selective.
Speaker 1: So when the president is in an open conflict with the FED and there might be a DOJ investigation about the Fed's architectural overhaul, does that have any impact on the market or should it?
Speaker 18: Yes, it should in the sense that if people believed it were a pretextual intervention to central bank independence, which I think it's unquestionably it is. But I believe the reason markets shrugged it off today, Hugh, is that they don't really take it seriously. I think they view it as job owning, jocking, you know, bowling a little bit to try to make sure that you're German Powell when his chairmanship term ends in a few months, that he leaves and not tries to stay for the next nineteen months till his FED governor term ends.
Speaker 6: There's no legal requirement that he leave.
Speaker 18: But you got to go back to nineteen forty eight since the last time a FED chair did not leave when their chairmanship ended.
Speaker 6: I think Chairman Powell is going to leave.
Speaker 18: I don't like this investigation and the pretext behind it, but I do think markets shrugged it off today for that reason.
Speaker 1: Now I'm an agnostic as to whether or not they're a pretextual investigation going on here, or whether or not they actually spend a billion dollars they didn't have. I'm open to that. What I'm curious about you mentioned originalism. I don't think there should be an independent central bank, David. That's not in the constitution. There can be a legislation for it. But I think the president would be able to remove every person in article too. You're an originalist. What do you make of min not he doesn't get that there's a bank. It's legal, but I think you ought to be able to replace the bankers.
Speaker 18: Yeah, the problem we have, Hugh, you and I are going to be on the exact same side of this. I also believe that you can't go create something that exists in sort of outer space within our separation of powers. Let me just be clear, so my integrity is intact.
Speaker 10: I don't think the.
Speaker 2: President cares about this stuff at all.
Speaker 18: I think his motive is he wants someone to do what he says.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 18: But your point structurally that the FED from the Federal Reserve Act, which was passed by Congress exist in a sort of limbo, is to where that jurisdiction is between separation of powers. And I'm very uncomfortable with it, and I think the solution to that is to not willing nearly what parts of the Act we follow, in parts we don't, but it is to go get legislative review and judicial review to force this to.
Speaker 6: Be done constitutionally.
Speaker 17: Now you know why.
Speaker 18: I know that can be done because we're doing it with the Consumer Financial Protection Bile, which I also believe was passed unconstitutionally. But these require judicial review done the right way.
Speaker 1: So this is the big thousand dollars question. If the Court upholds the president's right to remove at will anyone in the executive branch, so he can he can replace every FED governor. I'm not worried about that because I don't think you're gonna put they still have to go through Cenate confirmation. They can't be Bozo's. I think they'll be normal banker types and they'll be like your own power the end. Do you agree?
Speaker 6: Yes, I do believe.
Speaker 18: Look, the President already has the right to appoint them, you're saying, if he has the right to fire them at will, Yes, And ultimately I wouldn't be worried about who would end up on the court as long as the Senate excuse me on the FED. As long as the legislative branch does its job. It concerns me practically, not structurally that I don't think we always necessarily have a Senate doing its job, but that is the way that the system is designed and ought to function.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so I believe that we can find nine FED governors that would make it. Now, David, I haven't listened to the Dividend Cafe yet. Did you record a podcast on your twenty page magnum opus. I haven't seen it yet.
Speaker 18: I did, and I'm going to DM it straight to you when we're done, because there's very few people in the country I want.
Speaker 6: To hear it more than you. But yeah, we did the.
Speaker 18: Video with all the charts, the podcast, and then there's a full written pdf that came out on Friday, Yes, and just reviewing everything from twenty five, but then giving our forecasts and themes for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: I want everyone to go to Dividend Cafe wherever you get your podcasts from iTunes, Spotify, whatever, and listen to David's year end, year begin beginning summary. His podcast on the AI Bubble is also not to be missed. But that's a few weeks back. The new one is the one I want to get. Follow him at David Bonson on X. He's also the founder of the Boson Group. David, Happy New Year to you. Thank you for joining me. Don't go anywhere America except maybe during the breaking. Go like and follow the Dividend Cafe and download this latest year end, which I will have listened to by the time I'm here tomorrow. Don't go anywhere. I'm hu you at. Mark Dubovit sit next. Welcome back in America. Coming up after the break. Sebastian lie son of Jimmy Lai, is going to join me this hour this segment though, I'm bringing back Mark Dubovitz, who is with us last hour, is the CEO of the Foundation for the Defensive Democracy. Is one of the actual people you can trust on Iran. Follow him on exit m Dubovitz. Follow everyone at the Foundation for the Defensive Democracies, and there are a lot of them. There are a half dozen Iran experts. The FDD is actually the go to place. Mark. When we ran out of time last hour, I wanted to ask you. President Trump mentioned on Air Force One last night that the regime wants to negotiate. My reaction is, God, no, don't do that. That they're just playing for time. Is that your reaction?
Speaker 16: Yeah, you absolutely. I mean this is a typical regime trick. Their back is against the walls. So they offered negotiations and try to trap American negotiators. And the only place where they tend to win against America is at the negotiating table. They won against Biden, they won against Obama. They think they could possibly win against President Trump. I think it be a big mistake to go back to the table fundamentally, because number one, it would be a betrayal of their onion people that are on the streets. And number two, Hugh, there's no way that Ali Kamene, the Supreme leader of Iran, is going to meet the minimum demands that President Trump has a full dismantlement of their nuclear missile programs and terror networks.
Speaker 13: No way Kamene is going to give into that.
Speaker 16: And if not, he's just going to play for time, try to divide America, try to divide the White House, to divide the US from Europe, and he's going to ultimately try to embarrass the President. And I don't think the President is going to be embarrassed and is prepared to be embarrassed, so he needs to enforce the red line that he laid out.
Speaker 1: Now, Mark, the Israelis could have killed Hamione, and no doubt we can kill Hamoni, but there are arguments on both sides. We to leave him alive or if we have the ability to have him shot killed.
Speaker 16: Well, I do think we need to decapitate the leadership of Iran, and that includes Kamenee, but also includes senior IRGC commanders, those who are in control of the command and control system of Iran, and that includes the repression apparatus. So yeah, if you decapitate the leadership, then this possibility of others stepping into their place. I mean, that's what President Trump did in Venezuela with Maduro. I think there's more than just Kamine. There are others, but certainly a decapitation effort should be seriously considered.
Speaker 1: All right, Now, Mark, what are the How many IRGC bases are there? How many besiege bases? The final Israeli wave was going to hit them. President Trump waved it off in order to bring that conflict to an end last June. How many target sites are we talking about?
Speaker 16: So there are I mean there are dozens and dozens of RGC and besiege bases all around the country, obviously headquarters in places like Tehran, but certainly it's a target rich environment. I mean, the Israelis and the Americans have detailed intelligence on all of these bases, maneuvers, apparatus. This has been cited for years here I mean particted by the Israelis.
Speaker 13: I mean MOSAD and military intelligence in Israel.
Speaker 16: Have a very, very large and expansive target set, and that information has been provided to the Americans.
Speaker 13: So there's no shortage of targets. Just the question of what President Trump will choose.
Speaker 1: If President Trump brings down this regime, I think he goes to the top of American presidents, at least since FDR. He's going to actually surpass Reagan. The Soviet Union, of course, dissolved under George H. W. Bush. How would you rank that achievement. I think Iran is a lynch pin, and I've got Nixon on the brain. Nixon used to say, it's everything, It's one of the two pillars of the Middle East, And so how big of a moment is this for Donald Trump?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I've said publicly here you know that that if he brings down the Islamic Republic of Iran, he will be one of the greatest foreign policy presidents in modern history, if not the greatest.
Speaker 13: I mean, the Islamic Republic of Iran, first.
Speaker 16: Of all, has killed and made thousands of Americans. It has created massive bloodshed and chaos in the Middle East and continue to drag us into these endless wars in the Middle East.
Speaker 13: It's sponsored terrorism globally.
Speaker 16: It's threatened to kill President Trump and tried to kill him, and it is try to build nuclear weapons. It has built a massive ballistic missile program. It's fired hundreds of those blistic missiles at Israel, and missiles and drones at.
Speaker 13: Our allies in the Middle East.
Speaker 16: I mean, it has been such a force for murder, chaos, and violence that to get rid of it and to replace it with something better and more stable, more peaceful, and more prosperous would be a game changer for American national security. And by the way, it would also allow us to do what we need to do, which is to focus our resources in the coming years on the multi generational threat from the Communist Chinese Party.
Speaker 1: I read him here quote and he laughed. He said, haven't I already done that? He's done pretty well. I've got to admit ruining the Iranian nuclear to turn is a big deal. But do you think we could count on a post harmonious, harmonious regime being stable and at least not evil?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean President Trump. W also did say that. He said, I accept that. I accept that he's interviewed with you. You know, I think he appreciates how important taking down the Islamic Republic is, and I think he has for most of his adult life.
Speaker 13: I think we have.
Speaker 16: Got I don't think we can count on anything in the Middle East, and we certainly can't count anything in geopolitics, but there's no doubt in my mind that whatever comes next will be much better.
Speaker 1: So everyone in your car go to FDD Foundation for the Defensive Democracies. Follow it at FDD, Follow Marquette and Dubavitch, and there are lots of other people as well. But make sure they're reliable. Don't believe the regime propaganda. Don't believe the regime apologists, don't believe people who supported the JCPOA believe people like mart Thank you, Mark d Vivitz. Stay tuned Sebastian Laie and next, welcome back in America. I'm Hugh Hewitty and the Relief Factors Studio West. Last Thursday, I talked to President Trump about a number of things. Second on the agenda was Jimmy Lai and whether or not President Trump had brought up the imprisoned human rights activist with General Secretary Jujen Ping. President said he had that we haven't got a response from Jijenping, and then the President went on to praise my next guest, Sebastian Laie, as being a good son who's been active on behalf of his father. I'm please to welcome you back, Sebastian. Uh, first of all, I didn't know you had met with the President. That was news. I'm glad you did. Are you getting more optimistic or still no no sign of movement from the People's Republic of China.
Speaker 19: First of all, thanks so much again for for for having me and for mentioning to the President.
Speaker 1: Yes it was.
Speaker 19: I mean having the President cara on my father's case and and and uh you know mentioned my father's name. It just gives us a lot of hope, you know, him saying that he will he will this is something that he will deal with us. There's something that he's working on, and you know, we're so incredibly grateful. I just want to thank him from the bottom of my heart. Uh and And unfortunately, as the President said, the China hasn't responded yet. But again time is running out for my father, So the balls and their court and and and they need to respond soon otherwise my father will will unfortunately pass away in prison.
Speaker 1: President try said that he's old and sick, so he's aware of his condition, but that they haven't heard anything from g Is there a point at which you would naturally expect them to allow him to move to Great Britain? Is there a sentencing, a conclusion point as they had with souls and Eats and they finally just tossed souls and eats and out because it wasn't worth the problem. Is there a date in your mind you think that they'll do that after some proceeding is finished.
Speaker 19: And unfortunately they're very happy keeping him there. You can see with the torturous conditions that he's under. You know, for Soldis confinement has been for the last five years, and they've kept on delaying this, this this never ending trial. It seems that now it's finally getting to its end, and to everybody's surprised, they found nothing. There's nothing that incriminates my father. They have found this man who's given everything that he has for freedom and democracy, stayed in Hong Kong foot for his people. And you know, I think that that's what's so important for the for the president to to to press this case, because you know, the Hong Kong government, these are these are cruel people. These are people that want to see my father Dian Joel and without without pressure from from from the president, that's that's what the Hongo government will do to my father.
Speaker 1: I did ask him, Sebastian if he would consider the release of your father as a significant gesture by Jujinping, and he said yes, I kind of count that as a win. Do you see that as a win that he is putting significance into that sort of it's a bargaining chip, it's something he wants.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 19: We're so we're so incredibly grateful. And you know, to know that the president has about my father's case is something that has has given uf I'm family a lot of a lot of hope and and and it is it's it's the thing is look, it's it's a it's a relatively.
Speaker 17: Easy thing for hang and trying to do.
Speaker 19: I mean it will take them two hours to put him on the plane and send them over.
Speaker 6: To the US, to the UK. It's aware of it.
Speaker 19: I mean, this is this is very administratively, incredibly easy and at no cost and directly beneficial for every for everybody. So if not even even willing to do something as simple as that, it shows it shows a lot of how the Chinese and and the Hong Kong view, uh, you know, view the cruelty that they're doing to my father.
Speaker 1: I'm a great believer that Sun Cass cripple governments as well as individuals. They don't realize that there is no benefit to keeping your father in prison. There's one other person in the world besides President Trump I think can get their attention. That would be Popolo the sixteenth. Has the pontiffs said anything about your father?
Speaker 19: So the Holy Father has met with my mother and sister publicly, and we're so incredibly grateful for that. So I don't believe he said anything publicly, but I think he is praying for my father and for a man in his situation by himself in his cell. Knowing that you're the the Holy Father is praying for you, and that there's so many people praying for him worldwide, it gives him immense strength. I mean, this is what he's going through is something that I think would would break many people.
Speaker 6: And his faith, his his.
Speaker 19: His the knowledge that he has done the right thing is what keeps him going Somacham.
Speaker 1: What can the audience do besides pray for you and your family and your father, you know.
Speaker 19: Please write your representives, follow this story along and and and I mean besides pray, but praying is a huge is a huge thing as well, especially in the case like my father's where where you know they keep in solitary. To tell them that nobody cares about him, that nobody you know, has that he sacrificed everything for democracy. I think that's it's something that would matter matters intreumenously. But write your representatives and and and just tell this story whenever you have the chance to.
Speaker 1: Has anyone been allowed to sit down with him, your sister, the barrister who's representing him, yourself, anyone been allowed to see him in the last six months outside of that brief court appearance that I noted.
Speaker 19: Yeah, so he he doesn't get any he gets prison visits obviously that they're not.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 19: Anything he says is listened to. But but but he at least gets prison visits. From my understanding, it's half an hour each time, four times a month. So it's it's it's it's a little something to to hold on to. But it's, uh, yeah, it's it's nothing.
Speaker 1: So bat who goes into it's got to be dangerous to go there. Who goes in to see your father, the lawyer, your sister, it will be Yeah, so Scenowya's.
Speaker 6: Family members.
Speaker 19: Unfortunately, because my father, my sister has now spoken out on behalf of my father, she could also no longer go back to Hong Kong. So she made this very conscious sacrifice, after very bravely being with my father for loss, you know, five years by his side, to go out and speak out, you know, about the horrendous treatment that he's under, and and and and and.
Speaker 6: The deterioration of his health.
Speaker 13: And because of that, he can't go back.
Speaker 17: She can't go back.
Speaker 1: Sebastian, keep keep, please keep us informed. I'll continue to ask the President of the Secretary of State whenever they're on the program about the progress of this guy. I think the more eyes that we can put on Juju and Ping, he could do himself a lot of good in the world if you just let your father go to Great Britain. So our pros continue with Sebastian. By the way, President Fairy instruct with you and I am too. Thank you for your ongoing efforts on behalf of your dad and democracy in Hong Kong. I appreciate Sebastian Lae. Follow free Jimmy Laie on X and follow me to the next segment on the Q Hereich Chew. Thank you for that.