Speaker 1: Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs. Then to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, This is the Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennisprager Show. Every week at this time, an hour devoted to the subject of the great questions of life, whatever area is, from whether people are basically good to truly the meaning of life, to a whole host of the great issues of life. Welcome to the program. This is the Dennis Prager Show. And this is the hour where I take a subject that is truly basic and try to discuss it with you and have you call in and react and question and disagree or agree whatever it might be. I chose a basic one. Well, they're all basic, so that's a little redundant. I chose a basic one today. And that is the answer that many people give when you offer an argument for God's existence and you say, you know, where did everything come from? This, to me is one of the This, to me actually is the single most powerful argument for a creator God. Now that doesn't mean a personal God. It doesn't even mean a good God. Those are separate. These are all separate discussions, and they're often melded into one. And that's not a good thing intellectually. It just declarifies mystifies the subject. But one of the most powerful and perhaps the most powerful, single argument for a creator god is where did everything come from? I mean, whatever you see, you know it was made. Everything you see, you know it was, you know was made. If there is no God, then everything made itself? Is that absurd? I mean, just on the face of it, isn't that absurd? Things made themselves? Where did everything come from? It's so obvious, It's so obvious that it's an unanswerable It's an unanswerable argument, in my opinion, Where did it all come from? You have only two answers. One it came out, it came about by itself. And I characterized that as absurd because we can't even imagine the idea that things make themselves. The other is everything was always here. But we know that that's not true. Everything wasn't always here. There was a big bang. That is the overwhelming consensus of science today. Something banged itself into existence, or was banged into existence. Let there be bang is the answer that people who believe in a god offer. The very fact that there was light prior to any of the stars, and certainly before the sun, suggests that the very beginning let there be light does in fact suggest a big bang approach in Genesis. I'm not one to believe that they will read Genesis for science, but in this instance you certainly have. I'm sure the ancients were puzzled by this. What you have here? You have light before any of the things that bring light. I wonder what did the ancients think? I think we are far better to understand the very beginning of Genesis than the ancients were. So those of us who argue for a creator god have a far more rational argument. Things don't come about by themselves, and the idea that we went from nothing to you and me to the to this infinitely complex human with consciousness and and and and feelings and mind and and self awareness, which is what consciousness is about. Okay. I find that I find that literally incredible, in other words, lacking the ability to be credible, to be believable. But the answer that is so often given by people to the argument, well, you know, where did everything come from? Dennis Well where did God come from? You say that nothing can everything had to be made? Well, who made God? And I have heard this since I'm a kid, and I've never exactly been dazzled by it because it's it's it's it's a mean, meaningless question. It is meaningless. First of all, it substitutes a question for an answer. I want to know where did the entire material world come from? I want to know, so for you to ask me where did God come from? Doesn't answer the question at all. I'll deal with that question in a moment, but please understand that that answer that question is not an answer. It's deflecting the question. I want you to tell me, if you're an atheist, I want you to tell me where it all came from. And I want you to be honest enough to say it all came about on its own. The world made itself. I want you to be honest enough to say that's your position as an atheist. I find that an incredible position. I find it. I find my mind recoils at its inherent absurdity that something made itself. It is playing with words that something made itself, let alone the universe. Knowing that, knowing that it is an absurd position that the material world made itself from nothing to something on its own. The person who believes that has only one choice if they're not going to be intellectually honest, and that is to ask a question and not answer the one pose to them. Well, well, what they're saying is, well, I don't want to answer your question because I don't have an answer to your question, But by golly, you can't answer mine either, And Nana and nana, and that ends the debate. After all, who made God? But of course God is not material, so the question in and of itself is pointless. We're talking about how matter came about. God is not matter. Secondly, definitional to God is definitional. It's playing with words. Again. Definitional to God is that God always was. If God wasn't always, then God isn't God. God is not born. That is again the Genesis Revolution, the revolution of the Book of Genesis. God has no birth, like all of the gods of the non monotheistic world of the world's outside of the Jewish scripture, the all of them were born, but they were all material anyway, so of course they were born. But here is an immaterial God, no matter made of no matter. So please understand why if the question is even posed, well, who made God? It is in order to avoid what any atheist would recognize as a very difficult, indeed, let's be honest, impossible position to really hold that is that matter made itself. It's it's, it's it's it's believing in magic, it's believing in it that it's no longer magic. Gee, how did that elephant disappear? Well, we all knows a trick, but for the atheist it's not a trick. Matter made itself, but that would be a trick. The phone number here is one eighth Praeger one eight p R A G E R seven seven six, which digitally numerically is eight seven seven two four three triple seven six eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. You don't know how many people have written and call and its speeches have said to me as for as for example, Uh, a very common way of posing this question to me is, Dennis, what do I say to my kid when when my kids said who made God? And I've always known since I began lecturing that whenever somebody says what how do I answer my child? It's because they don't have an answer for themselves. Believe me, when you have answers for you, then you won't have answers for your child. And if you have answers for yourself, then you will for your child. So let's discuss this right now at on this the Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennis Prager Show and John and Gray's Lake, Illinois. Thank you for calling.
Speaker 3: Outstanding show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: There is a third answer, but you're not gonna like it, and that is we don't know yet, and I don't know why. And to me, that's the basis of religion or the origins of religion, is trying to answer the as yet unanswerable. But we, for instance, we do know or at least they're theorizing that there's this thing called dark matter, and so we're constantly learning more and more about the universe. Yes, but well I would much rather turn to science for those answers than to rely on right.
Speaker 2: I will stay on with me, Okay, stay on with me. It's a very very good and important subject you raised, so I want to I want to continue it with you. Well, we don't know yet, and science may not have the answer now, but science will have all these answers. I will respond to each of those objections, and they're important ones one eight Praguer seven seven six The Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Everybody, Dennis Prager here. This is the Ultimate Issues Hour every week now at this time, the hour is devoted to some great ultimate issue of life. We get so caught up and totally understandably in the events of the day, all of us do. I don't only mean talk show hosts, every one of you, and not only mean even the current events outside of your life, but I mean the daily events of our life, with our children, with our spouses, with our friends, with our work, and we forget to ask the great questions again and rethink them. So that's the purpose of this hour, and this one is a response to the question that people who don't believe in God offer when you say, when you make the argument for a creator God, well how did the material world come about? Did things invent themselves? Which is to me an unanswerable question, And then people say, well, who made God? And of course all it does is deflect from answering the question. But now we have John with some very good challenges. Hi, John, welcome back and Gray's Lake, Illinois. Now you you answered with number one, Well, your answer is we just don't know yet, right basically, yes, okay, and that that's that's intellectually, We're not talking emotionally. That intellectually satisfies you.
Speaker 3: Well, I would see intellectually, I can't subscribe to going with a supernatural in other words, outside of the laws of nature. Answer to me as as an atheist and as someone who looks, you know, at the tries to look at the scientific side of things that you know. For instance, you know you why do you think?
Speaker 2: Why do you? Yeah? Right, I know, John? But why do you see? Here's where we differ not in our acceptance of science. I completely accept science. Where we differ is your belief that science can answer everything. But you know that science doesn't have certain answers yet. No, no, no about no no science, no no way, no, no, no, forget about, forget about creation. Science cannot answer questions, all questions of feeling and emotion. It cannot answer every single question about a whole host of things. Unless you believe you are a robot. You have to you do believe I assume that. Do you believe you have freedom at all? Or you are entirely scientifically programmed?
Speaker 3: No, you do have freedom.
Speaker 2: Okay, the moment you then you are saying you are you are free, meaning that you can do things that are not scientifically explicable.
Speaker 3: But the building blocks that go to enable that are explicable, Yes.
Speaker 2: That's fine. The building blocks that go to explain certain things, yes, I agree with you. But why are there any building blocks at all? Is no more a scientific question? Then why do you love your child? Oh?
Speaker 3: It most absolutely is.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's where we different. But why do you say that though even scientists many will acknowledge there are realms that that I believe that there are things religion can't explain, But you don't believe that there's anything that science can't explain. You believe in religion more deeply than I believe in religion. You believe in science more deeply than I believe in religion. Science is your religion. I don't believe that. I don't believe.
Speaker 3: I would say human nature is my religion. If I had to have faith in something, it would be you know, if you're going to coin it as faith. It would be faith and the human intellect to rise above, you know, whatever challenges you may have.
Speaker 2: Well, it's done a pretty.
Speaker 3: It's done at Ultimately, you're.
Speaker 2: Right, John. That proves to me that you have it as a religion because because the human intellect has not only on rare occasions, is written risen above its nature. Look at all the evil in the world. Anyway, I thank you. It's a it's a very very important But you know, I don't believe, for example, I don't believe that religion can can develop antibiotics, Okay, I don't. I know that there were limitations to religion. Religion doesn't explain everything. So I have a more humble approach to religion than many people who believe in science have for science. I don't believe religion can explain everything. There is no religious person I know who does. You're going to find how to how to uh, how to make a carburetor in Leviticus. I mean, come on, we all know that religion has answers for X, Y, and Z. It gives me values, it gives me an explanation for the origins of the universe. It gives me much, but it doesn't. It doesn't tell me science, and science has its limitations. I wish people who believed in science were as humble as people who believe in God. And that's pretty ironic because they think that they're really arrogant to the people who believe in God. All right, e one eighth Praeger seven seven six. A deep thank you to John, and I know that he wanted to say a lot more. Rabbi David in Milwaukee. Rabbi David, thank you for calling.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Dennis. I'm calling to agree with you this time. I wanted to say that often when I discussed this idea with people about materialism creating itself, the material world creating itself, I just asked him the simple question, which highlights the paradox and the absurded by saying, when exactly did it create itself? Did it create itself before it existed? Wasn't How was it able to create itself if it didn't exist yet? Or did it create itself after exist it existed, in which case it obviously didn't need itself to create itself.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, exactly. That's that's a very good way of putting it. I appreciate it a lot. I'd like to hear from you. By the way, you tell me where you don't agree with me, and I that's right. Wall you know, did it happen before it? If it happened before it existed, then what created it. It's a good way of putting it exactly. I appreciate it. We go to Dmitri in San Francisco, California. Dmitri Dennis Prager High.
Speaker 5: I do believe in the creation theory, but I do have a problem comprehending things like all this eternity infinity.
Speaker 2: Dmitri, Welcome to the human race. There is no hu. There is no human, certainly myself included, who understands the word always.
Speaker 5: Oh, by the way, your cold screener said that she doesn't have a problem of understanding that. It was funny.
Speaker 2: Did you speak to her in Russian? Yeah? I say, did you speak to her in Russian? No?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 2: You should have asked her to pudny maas sigda, sigda, that's what you should have said.
Speaker 5: Something that drives me totally crazy. When I think about it.
Speaker 2: I agree it does you. You are so right to meetre It does drive you crazy. And you know what else, though here is I wonder if you've thought this one always drives you crazy, but a but a beginning also drives you crazy exactly, So that is this is perfect example, dear listeners. This is a perfect example of why I know our intellect cannot perceive so much. We don't understand the idea that, uh uh, that anything was always there, And we don't understand the idea that something began because what happened the day before it began? Well, you say, but time is relative and there was nothing before time, and you I understand. I can say those words too, but neither you nor I understand them. That's how limited our minds are. And we need to know that. You're listening to the Ultimate Issues Hour on the Dennis Prager Show.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: All righty, my friends, you're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, and our each week devoted to the ultimate issues of life, and it's called the Ultimate Issues Hour one eight Praguer seven seven six. This one happens to be about God. There they vary in topic. Sometimes they are of a religious variety and most of the time or not. But this is a big one because it has to do with the greatest question in life, and it really is the greatest question, whether there is a God or not? Allenly, we should put that even as a subject. Why the single most important question in life is whether there is a God? Yeah, put that down as an ultimate issues our topic, because whether you believe in God or not. What I would do with that is attempt to convince you that that's the most important question. But right now I'm attempting to convince you that the typical response to the argument for God that hey, where did everything come from? Who made everything? The typical response is well, who made God? Is a meaningless response. Ay, it doesn't respond to the argument. It just asks a question. So there's no response. It's just an attempt to dismiss the questioner and be it doesn't make sense. God wasn't made the God we're talking about, the creator. God was not a God who was made. It is the God who was the maker. And I can if God was made God, isn't God simple as simple as that? In fact, do you know that God's name, God's name the God that the Judeo Christian world believes in that that name, which is said in English as Yahweh, that name means being. That's all it means. It means God's name. Did you know. I'm sure most of you, even biblically aware, do not know that that God's name is is not sure it for is he or isidore? But is just is. That's why when asked who are you by Moses at the Burning Bush, and God said I will be what I will be, or I am what I am, both translations ir accurate because Hebrew does not have a present tense for the verb to be. Many languages don't, as it happens, Slavic languages don't. Semitic languages don't. And so God is and was and will be. But that's not true for matter. Matter came about, and so the question is who made it come about or what Matt Matt in Sacramento, California, Dennis Prager, thank you for calling, Matt.
Speaker 6: Hi, Dennis, thanks for taking my call. I have come to understand that most people, when they speak about the existence of anything, they usually use the phrase everything has a call. I think science normally attributes that every effect has a cause God is not an effect. He has always eternally existed, and therefore, I think when we try to attribute a cause to God, we fall apart because we feel that most important word of effect.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts, Yeah, that's a very fine point, when when everything has a cause, everything has a cause, but God's not a thing. Correct.
Speaker 6: There's one other phrase I commonly use in talking with people about this. If ever, there was a time when nothing existed, nothing would exist today, and that just gives more evidence to the eternality of God.
Speaker 2: Right, that's yeah, well, that's right. It's another excellent way, Matt, thank you. It's another excellent way of saying that nothing doesn't become something, I mean, does it. I'm asking those you see, I'm asking those of you who are atheists to acknowledge that I have to acknowledge difficulties in belief in God, the existence of such immense amount of injustice in the world and natural suffering. I acknowledge challenges, but I never meet atheists who acknowledge challenges. And isn't this a big one? G Nothing comes from nothing, So where did something come from? Where did the material world that we have come from? And certainly where did consciousness come from that. I am speaking to you now that I am aware of being Dennis, and you are aware of being you. Where did that come from? And the idea that it just came about you don't recoil in some way. They're just am talking intellectually, not emotionally, just intellectually. That doesn't seem absurd to you, but it is. It is absurd in that sense the atheist has to say about matter. Credo qui absurdimist famous statement of Turtill, I believe because it is absurd. We'll be back in a moment. You are listening to the Dennis Prager Show one eighth Prager seven seven six.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show. I thank you for doing so, and I'm talking to you about a famous question that is posed to those who believe in God as the creator of the universe. We who believe in God offers one of our paramount arguments, the argument that well, who made everything? And then we get the responsible who made God? Which again, sorry to repeat it, but I have to because I have to just set the agenda each time of all has no, it's no answer to the question. And secondly, God wasn't made. God does not matter. Matter is made, God is not. So let's go to your calls here and Cleveland, Ohio. Patrick Hye, thanks for calling.
Speaker 7: Good This is I'm actually a very conservative atheist. So you and I agree on almost everything, right when it comes to politic.
Speaker 2: No, I and I and I frankly I rather have you around than the the the person who theoretically believes in God and has the opposite values of me.
Speaker 7: I'm with you other one. Well, here, here's the thing. I think that everything has always existed in one form or another. You can't create or destroy energy of matter. You can change it from a liquid to a sound, a solid to a gas. You know, there's even a fourth to one plasma. But you can't create, completely destroy or create anything.
Speaker 2: Right, So you so your being eternal. Well, but that's not the claim that I think even science makes. Now. I think they claim that energy itself was made, that it wasn't always there, and and that is a leap of faith too, that everything was everything was always there.
Speaker 7: Well, I think the difference is that we have solid concrete proof matter.
Speaker 2: We have solid concrete proof that what that matters self, Imus, Wait, that matter is what I'm sorry, I didn't get the words that matter is what that matter exists. Of course, we no matter exist.
Speaker 7: Whereas I see no solid concrete proof that God exists.
Speaker 2: There is no solid concrete proof that God exists. It's like asking me to tell you whether that that water is not wet it is wet. There is no empirical proof of God's existence.
Speaker 7: It just seems to me that all of your beliefs are relying on men that lived in the desert thousands of years ago, on schools, and I just don't see how that holds any credibility. And you're to anyone else's.
Speaker 2: Well, the fact that that men wrote it on scrolls in the desert thousands of years ago is not here or there. It doesn't make it valid, and it doesn't make it invalid. Men. I mean, I think you would agree that if it was written on a scroll thousands of years ago, love your neighbor as yourself, you would still hold it's a good idea. Well I agree, Oh no, no, no, well, well by wait, so the fact it's a non sequitary. The fact that it's old or was came from the desert doesn't doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 7: Well, they lacked scientificcknowledge.
Speaker 2: You're right, So what I don't science?
Speaker 7: Well, if you're talking about mail issues, you're right.
Speaker 2: No, No, But I'm talking about I'm talking about I'm talking about an extra science, extra scientific above science. There was something that is not empirical. You don't you believe that all the only reality is empirical. I don't empirical for those who don't know, by the way, empirical means can be experienced by one of the five senses. And God can't be smelled, and God can't be felt, and God can't be heard in terms of the ear hearing sound waves, and God can't be seen as you see material a thing, and God can't be tasted. But the notion that only the empirical exists is what if we lost all of our senses, would there be no reality? We would not experience any reality, but it would not deny that there is reality. So the God is trans empirical. Now, I have many, many other arguments for God's existence, but I am narrow focusing on the one question. And it's a pleasure to talk to you, Patrick, and I thank you for your call on this hour of the Ultimate Issues Hour. I'm focusing on one specific reaction or or so called argument against those of us who believe in a creator God, and that is well, who made God? It is not an argument, that's what that's that's the point that I am making here. All right, and let's go to Graham in Roanoke, California. Graham Dennis Praeger, Thank you, hey.
Speaker 8: Mister Prager. I just wanted to introduce the concept that virtual matter, virtual sabatomic particles can instantaneously appear in disappear out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you mean by virtual Well.
Speaker 8: Real matter, the virtual that it disappears as quick as it appears within the vacuum of space.
Speaker 2: Right, But no, but it's not held that those things existed prior to the Big Bang. The scientific community today is is close to the universally accepting of a big bang, which means that all matter came into being at a given moment, at one trillionth of a second in time.
Speaker 8: Well, now, I mean supposedly that could have propagated from these instantaneous virtual sabatomic particles.
Speaker 2: No, but nobody offers that because that means that matter existed prior to the Big Bang. The fact that they disappeared doesn't mean that they're not matter.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's true, And I'm not making an argument against the creator God. I think God can dictate science, and I think science and God can coexist in relative harmony.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not only coexist, I think that they mutually reinforce. That's my view. I think that the study of science leads one to God. Obviously it doesn't lead everybody, but I'll tell you this. The fact that science arose as we understand science and the scientific method only arose in what we called Judeo Christian world is something to think about. Many many writers, including non religious ones, have noted that it was that God was a necessity for the for the development of science as we have it, the one God ushered in by the Old Testament, carried forth by the New that God made science possible because it meant that there was order to the universe. You could study thunder because there were laws that made thunder. There was no god of thunder who made thunder. It's a big deal. Final segment of this Ultimate Issues Hour coming up. Welcome your calls. Eight seven seven two four to three, triple seven six Dennis Prager. I'm Dennis Praguer, final segment of this edition of the Ultimate Issues Hour, and I have tempted to explain to you why the answer to the absolutely powerful argument for God's existence, well, where did everything come from? Who made everything? The answer given, well, who made God? Is meaningless. It's a meaningless answer. The honest atheist would have to say this. Look, I am baffled by the notion that matter came from nothing. It doesn't make any sense to me. But for whatever reason, I just can't believe that there is some supreme being or higher intelligence than made it. Okay, I can accept that, But then I think that that your argument against God is more psychological and or emotional, and I'm not putting it down at all than it is intellectual. And by the way, there's another possibility, and you could say, well, yes, there is a higher being that made everything it is and conceived to me that everything came about on its own. Matter doesn't make itself, let alone intelligence make itself. But then but you could say, all right, that makes sense to me, But I can't believe that this God you know knows me or or or cares about me. Okay, that's an entirely separate question about God. I am arguing right now for the creator God. Do I believe God knows you? Yes, I do. I don't know why God would would would make a world where you know you but he doesn't know you. It doesn't make any sense to me. I will make human beings conscious of themselves, but I am not conscious of them. Okay, it's possible, and you know it's possible. I don't know for any of these things as proofs. Incidentally, there are arguments for God's existence, not proofs. There are proofs for the existence of matter. God has not material, and so I ask that you forgive me Jerry and Joe and Bruce and Tom because the time is just about out. Joe wants to say that atheists believe in God, they just define God as the universe. Well, I don't want to make atheists sounding what they what they're not. I'll honor them. They don't believe in the God that I believe, so so they don't believe in God. God is more complex than matter, so idea that God made matter doesn't make sense. Hmm, Well, I would have needed more time Jerry to quite understand that because God is more complex than matter, therefore he wouldn't make it. Well, he for whatever reason he made this universe, and by the way, I don't know the reason, I mean I have well, we'll deal with that another time, which is exactly why I have an Ultimate Issues hour. I hope you've enjoyed it. This is Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: This has been timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit dennispraguer dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.