Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things hillsdalet Hillsdale dot ed or. I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to the Hillsdale Dialogue all of them at hugh for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hillsdale Born in Gloria and Emangrace America. I'm to hewittt. Earlier today, the House of Representatives passed the Senate approved Mini Buss, five appropriations bills and a two week extension of the Department of Homeland Security funding. So the government has reopened. I'm going to talk about that and a few other things. Was Texas Senator John Cornyan to start this hour. Senator, good to see you again, and I hope you're not as cold as DC looks. I'm glad the government's reopened. Can I begin, though, in the lone Star state, sir, with what happened over the weekend in the United States Senate district or A district that went by seventeen points for Donald Trump got won by a Democrat by fourteen points. What's that all about, Senator?
Speaker 2: Well, we're all scratching our heads and trying to learn the lessons that the public is trying to teach us. But to start with, only about fifteen percent of registered voters participated. Special elections are notorious for unpredicted, unpredictable results because a small minority of voters have a disproportionate impact. Fortunately, we'll have another shot at this in November. But I think what it also says is that candidate quality matters, and we can't take things for granted, even in deep red Texas and so as you know, that's why I'm concerned about this coming November.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yesterday on the commentary podcast editor, I'm not a member of that, but they were talking about you and Attorney General Pakistan and the congressmen. They think it's nuts, just like I think it's nuts that you've got a primary, because I think you got a layup in November. Now you might have to have you might have to use your shoulder a little bit on that layup, but you still got a lap. And none of us think that the Attorney General can win. Is that sort of dawning on people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the most recent polling shows that James Taller Rico, who seems to be leading in the Democratic primary, would be tied as of today with the Attorney General if he were the nominee. Of course, that's before he's carpet bombed the Attorney General, if he were the nominee, with all the negative baggage that he's been carrying, the scandals that he's been at the center of for a long time now. So I think two things could happen. One is he could lose, and the.
Speaker 3: Second it would be, even if he could win.
Speaker 2: By the skin of his teeth, it would cost hundreds of millions of dollars that we could use to spit to pick up Senate seats in Georgia, in Michigan, in New Hampshire, and save our Senate seat in North Carolina, which will be a very expensive seat. So I think that's what I would call the business case for my candidacy.
Speaker 3: It's a lot bigger than just me.
Speaker 1: The business case for your dandency is you're one hundred percent with President Trump, you're one hundred percent with the Republicans, and you've been there a while and you've got seniority. The business cases, it makes sense for Texas, and that's why I've endorsed you and everybody else with sort of common sense, as John Corny should win. But can we run through the dates so that this audience at least knows to turn out and vote on the right dates. There's going to be a primary, then there's going to be a runoff. When are both of those?
Speaker 2: I'm glad you asked. So the primary is March the third. It's the earliest primary in the country, and it's important. Like I said, with a special election, it shows what a small turnout can do in terms of unexpected results.
Speaker 3: Early voting.
Speaker 2: We have a very generous early voting period that starts February of the seventeenth, so February the seventeenth.
Speaker 3: With the primary on March the third.
Speaker 2: If nobody gets the majority, which is likely to happen with three candidates in the race, the runoff is in May, ten weeks later, May the twenty sixth, and that's even probably with a smaller turnout.
Speaker 3: So we're encouraging everybody we.
Speaker 2: Can to vote, and I hope all your listeners will.
Speaker 3: Join us in voting on March third. If not before, well.
Speaker 1: We're all over to Texas and we want to make sure they turn out. I also will send you to Senator Cornyan's campaign website. I don't think he can say it unless he's out of the Senate. But it's John Cornyan dot com. I can tell you where it is, Johncornan dot com. Now, Senator, tell me a little bit about this Safe Act. That's the Safeguard America's Voter Eligibility Act, And it became a subject to controversy on the House FLOORI today, and I don't know why. Can you explain what's going on?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I don't understand why it's controversial either, because for a long time there's been a bipartisan consensus that voter ID is a legitimate tool to use to protect the integrity of the ballot, to make sure that only qualified voters can vote. So the SAVE Act is a design to basically put that into federal law. Now, there's some folks who believe that the federal government doesn't have any roles, shouldn't have any role in state run elections. I believe the states should run elections, but I think at a very basic minimum, it's not too much to ask that everybody be an American citizen and have a voter ID. But I think the debate in the House was whether they ought to attach it to this temporary appropriations package, and Senator Thune, at my urging and others, I believe we'll put that on the floor here in the.
Speaker 3: Senate soon, and so we'll have a shot at it.
Speaker 1: Then, all right, now I want to switch over to the Department of Homeland Security, which is on a two week ticker. Then it runs out of money, except it doesn't run out of money. Sentator Cotton told us yesterday that in the one Big Beautiful Bill last year, you gave him a big dollar of money. So ICE is not going anywhere. So once again the Democrats have walked themselves into a corner. And I'm wondering, is there any part of the caucus that wants to use this as an occasion for some votes on things like the dreamers. Make sure the dreamers get in, but meanwhile keep administrative warrants for deportation. What is the conversation around the DHS bill. It's the last appropriations bill. Are we going to turn it into a circus or are there going to be serious legislating here?
Speaker 2: Well? This is really this is more performance are like you pointed out in the Working Family Tax Cuts Act, Work Big beautiful bill. We funded the Department full Land Security, Border Security, the border wall, and so this is not about whether ICE is going to be funded. It is going to be about whether FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency TSA, the Transportation Security Agency, whether they will be funded or whether we'll have to go to a continuing resolution through the end of the year. We have come a long way to actually pass almost all the appropriations bill this year with this hiccup. But of course the Democrats couldn't refuse to take advantage of any opportunity to try to try to put on a show over ICE and what's been happening in Minnesota and Minneapolis tragic outcome. But there's two lessons to learn. One is sanctuary cities are bad. Sanctuary states are bad because this transfer could incur out of public view in the county and local jails. And secondly that it's a big mistake to interfere with the federal law enforcement operation because bad things can happen if including by accident CENTA.
Speaker 1: I've written at length today for Fox News that a deal o lot to be presented at Democrats in this two week window, which is we'll get the Dreamers done well, we'll give regularization, not citizenship. They don't ever get the vote, but we'll give regularization to the dreamers if you give us rules that shut down sanctuary cities and sanctuary states, in other words, funding cutoffs. I don't know what the Democrats are asking, but I think you guys got to really jam them on the fact that they've brought the spotlight to bear on sanctuary cities, because that is not a winning issue for them.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Well, but they seem sort of well, can I say this? Can I say they're kind of stuck on stupid. They're not really interested in solving a problem, and that's the problem, whether it's the enhanced subsidies for the Affordable Care Act. I mean, we're happy to work through those issues. Obviously, President Trump was elected on border security. The border is now secure, but we've got to get people who came in during the four years of open border policies by the Biden administration out of the country, especially the criminals and people have exhausted their appellate review of their legal avenues or relief. But I don't know really whether the Democrats actually want to solve that problem, particularly for the Dreamers that they talk about out for you know, all the time, and then when an opportunity is presented to them to do something about it, as it has been, including during President Trump's first term, they blow it by asking for the sun and the moon and turning down a perfectly good negotiated product. So I'm not optimistic, but you know, we got to keep trying.
Speaker 1: Now. I want to I hope you guys do offer them the Dreamers in exchange for some crackdown on sanctuary cities. I want to close by asking you about the one thing I don't think you can give. They want to get rid of administrative warrants issued for deportation, which has been in the law of the land forever you were a judge, you were a justice. You know that they're only seven hundred District court judges will never deport even one hundred thousand people. If we've got to get district court judges to sign these warrants. Is that? Is that an insane ask on They can't be serious, are they?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I think again, they're trying to put on a show for their base, which basically is the same people who brought you defund the police and abolish ice, and they want to put any obstacle in the path of legitimate law enforcement of our immigration laws that they can, including making them, you know, take them up their masks so they can be docksed and harassed by these people that we've seen on the news.
Speaker 3: And this is an unnecessary step.
Speaker 2: As you knows as a lawyer, these are administrative proceedings to actually get an arrest warrant. It's not a criminal proceeding per se. It's people who've exhausted all of their legal remedies and simply refused to leave the country.
Speaker 1: By Mark sand firm on that, and thank you, Senator Cornyan. Johncornyn dot com remember those days. March third and in May tenth, Johncornyn dot com, I'll be right back in America. Stay two. Welcome back to America. I'm Hugh Hewett. I'm happy to welcome John Ashbrook, one of the fellas of the Ruthless podcast. They've been on the road. They were in Philadelphia last week. I want to thank John for being kind to one of my friends, Jim, who I hope got to attend the event. And then I listened this morning to them talking about the theater kids and the Democrats. But John Ashbrook First of all, it's going to be ninety degrees in California tomorrow. Are you sure you don't want to bring the Ruthless Podcast out west for a while.
Speaker 4: I'm on my way there as soon as we get off the air right now, Hugh, I've had it with the cold. You know, I grew up in the cold in your home state of Ohio, and I just need warmth.
Speaker 5: I need to go to Florida. I need to go to California.
Speaker 4: I got to go somewhere that is not going to be what it is right here in Washington.
Speaker 1: A few weeks every winter out of DC. Is what does the body and mind of a journalist? Good John, I want to ask you. I just had Senator Corner on, great guy, and I asked him about the ninth Senatorial district in Texas, which went from being a Trump plus fourteen district in November of twenty twenty four to a Democrat winning it by seventeen over the weekend. Now, it was a special election, but it's the state senate district. It's a bigger than the congressional seat. What do you think that message is being sent?
Speaker 4: Well, obviously he knows the state of Texas. Much much better than I do. But I'll tell you, Hugh, every single one of these special elections and the governor's elections in New Jersey in Virginia in twenty twenty five should serve as a wake up call to Republicans that these midterms are for real, that every candidate has to run their ass off if they want to be able to get across the finish line next November, and if they don't have a good campaign. It's based on the fundamentals that it takes to win. It's not like who can tweet the best, although that's part of it. It's not who raises the most money, although that's part of it. It's who has an organization that is built to win in a difficult environment.
Speaker 5: And there is no way around the.
Speaker 4: Fact that Republicans are in a difficult environment this fall. I mean, it's historically difficult for any party in power, and Republicans do not have Trump on the ballot in twenty twenty six. Now the President is working over time to make sure that he is helping these candidates. You know, Maga Inc. His principal outside pack, I think raised three hundred million dollars or something like that. I may be even like short changing that number, and he is going to take this primary or I'm sorry, this midterm election very seriously.
Speaker 5: But that's not enough.
Speaker 4: You know, every single one of these candidates needs to find it within themselves to take what the president is offering and complement that in a way that only they can on a local level. If they don't do it, if they're not run hard, that's a recipe for disaster.
Speaker 1: So one of two things is true. Either everything depends upon the economy or it doesn't. And if everything depends upon the economy, were in good shape because four and a half percent and then almost five percent growth, and I think we have another great quarter. It's not the economy. It's almost caught up with Biden inflation. But if that's not true, then immigration enforcement is driving that result. Do you think voters are turned off by immigration enforcement.
Speaker 4: I think there's some of that in suburban parts of the country. But you have to remember the mandate that President Trump was given. It's seventy seven million votes in twenty twenty four. People want safety, They wanted our borders to be closed, and they want the criminals to be deported from this country. I interviewed Tom Homan. I know you've talked to him before, to Hugh, and I asked him a very specific question about sanctuary cities because it's on my mind as a guy who lived through nine to eleven. Are these sanctuary cities becoming rendezvous points for terrorists who found their way from the other hemisphere across the Mexican border and into our country during the Biden years? Are these sanctuary cities turning into rendezvous points for people who are fighting age men who really want to do damage to our country? And he said the answer to that was yes, And it's a terrifying thought, and it's something that has to be solved. It's not a particularly part is an issue. I mean, it's seventy thirty, eighty twenty. You have so many people in this country who want to get the border under control. President Trump did that. They want to get the terrorists, the murderers, people who are here to do wrong. They want them out. And that's what I think Tom Homan is trying to do. That's what our president is trying to do. And so I don't think that's a particularly I think that's a good issue for Republicans heading into the midterm. The economy. You know, if you listen to Scott bessont, very smart guy, well respected in DC, well respected in New York, from people of all political stripes. Scott Besson is very bullish on the economy in twenty twenty six because this is the year that some of those tax cuts and things that were in the Big Beautiful Bill come into play. And so, I mean, he knows more about the economy than I do. I'm going to rely on his judgment, but I do think that those two issues, economy and safety are going to be the highly determinative of this midterm.
Speaker 1: Now, John, I think the softest part of President Trump's coalition suburban women who have incomes they don't want to lose. They don't like grandma's being deported. They don't like children being deported. They don't like mothers being deported, dropping off kids. They don't like it. They react viscerally against it because they're mom.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So my question is, is there an opportunities Democrats have put themselves in the corner. They've held up funding for DHS. Can we give them the Dreamers Act in exchange for cracking down on sanctuary cities, cutting off funding for any sanctuary city or state. Do you think we can make them an offer they can't refuse and at the same time somehow mollify that very uneasy part of the Trump coalition.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm skeptical Hugh, that Democrats are in a deal making mood on the subject of immigration. You know, they have shifted so far in their party from where they were twenty years ago when they were saying that they wanted our borders to be controlled, that they wanted criminal illegal aliens to be deported. You remember that Obama himself deported three million people during his time in office. But Democrats have completely shifted on this issue, and there are so many reasons why. I'm not sure, given their sources of funding, given how tight they are with the hard left, and their own civil war going on within their own part, I'm not sure they're in a deal making kind of mood.
Speaker 1: What should we make I turned down the dreamers, John, everybody talks about the dreamers. I've been here literally on the road about it for twenty years. Can we not offer that to them with something stabled to it and make them turn it down or accept that plus dreamers plus X and we get the name X.
Speaker 4: I mean, here's the thing. I think that even if Trump were to offer something like that today, I think Democrats would say, yeah, thank you, that's not going to get the votes. Here's I want more, and here's my more. You know, I want the names and addresses of every ICE agent written on their chest so that we can dox them and find them and intimidate them out of doing their jobs.
Speaker 5: I just don't think that we're.
Speaker 4: Capable Republicans being we capable of satisfying the left on this subject.
Speaker 5: I think they're in transigent.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: You look at how they're operating in some of these cities. Minneapolis is probably the most noteworthy example where they're dding up these checkpoints.
Speaker 1: I heard about that today, unbelievable checkpoints in Minia. I'll talk to Lilacs about that later today. John Ashbrook, get back, got a cam check on the heating. Make sure the homefront is warm. I appreciate both the Philadelphia Show and today's program, the Ruthless Variety program. You should like and subscribe over at YouTube. Many visuals today, so if you're not watching it, you're missing it. At Ruthless John Ashbrook, thank you. Follow John at John Ashbrook on x as well. Stay tuned. I'll be right back on the Hewit Show. Welcome back, and I'm Joe Hewett. I want to talk to politics with David Drucker, but first get a pulse on from the Beltway on what you think is happening in Iran today. Already a shaw He drone was shot down by an F thirty five flying from the Lincoln. A second drone has been dispatched by Iran towards the Lincoln. No word yet on what happened there. And six Arenian gunboats attempted to seize a US flagged oil tanker that managed to get under speed and under the protection of the US Navy ship before boarding. That's not That's not the activity, David, of a country that wants to deal seriously.
Speaker 6: You know, one if they ever wanted to deal seriously. I mean, it's the Irian regime. And every president, one way or the other has found out that the that they negotiated bad faith and they're malevolent, and that's the way they want to be. Like I think, I think everybody in Washington generally is consumed by domestic drama. You know, whether or not the House and Senate we're going to get the US get the government out of a shutdown with a deal that the President brokeer with Minority Leader Chuck Schumer in the Senate. Looks like we're headed in that direction, but I think there's gonna be a lot more discussion about this.
Speaker 5: I was talking to somebody who.
Speaker 6: Spent a lot of time a lot of his career in the intelligence community earlier this morning. It's something that came up in conversation. Usually Trump is very concerned about the credit ability of the military threats that he makes. A lot of his negotiating in other ways can be blustering for effect, but he's usually been careful about when he threatens military action. And so I think a lot of people are waiting to see, with the hardware that we sent to the region whether or not anything is forthcoming.
Speaker 1: David, what is the expectation of the people that you've talked to. I believe he's going to rock their world. I don't have a timetable, but because of what you just said, he does follow through. I do believe he also like to have a legitimate diplomatic option on the table, but they're walking away from it. Even before Jared Kushner and Steve Whitcock, get the Turkey. This is not the action of anybody of a regime that wants to deal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we should, I mean, I realize we have to do this. So it looks like we tried.
Speaker 6: But we shouldn't even waste our time. Not with the Iranians, but lots of people. It's worth wasting your time because you never know with them. It's I mean, it's so predictable. It can make me look like a genius, and I'm no genius. Look, Hugh, I think the confusing part is the president president threatened severe military action if they killed their own people. He then said, well, I have assurances nobody's getting killed. We then found out people were getting killed and in massive numbers, and then nothing appeared to be happening. Then we send people to the region, we sent hardware and you know, military assets to the region, and now we're in a in a holding pattern. And usually when the president does something big, it doesn't really stretch it out this way, or he doesn't foreshadow and it's just you think he does. In retrospect, it looks like he was foreshadowing it, but it's more like, oh, he took out Sulimani. Oh, he snatched Maduro, So this is just different than the way he usually handles things.
Speaker 1: I do think we're going to look back. I'm giving him till the middle of March because it does take a while to set up the bad system in Saudi Arabia. I think Israel's well defended, but Saudi Arabia is not. I understand the Iranian short term missile numbers. That's a real threat that they need air defense for. So I understand that, But I was just wondering, is the general expectation among the people you talk to that we have a battle coming with Iran?
Speaker 5: I'd say it's mixed.
Speaker 6: Look, I talk to some people who think Trump blinked, and you know, particularly when he talks about trying to cut a deal for a nuclear program that was supposedly obliterated, And then you talk to other people who are like, no, the guy always follows through when he makes threats like these, right when he delivers the red line threat. In fact, usually he doesn't really deliver the red line threat.
Speaker 5: He just acts.
Speaker 6: So what I'm hearing are mixed perceptions about what the president is doing and will do.
Speaker 1: I think he will end up hurt politically and the world will be much worse off if he doesn't act. But we will see. Now, the state Senate district number nine in Texas went for Donald Trump by seventeen points. It went for the Democrat on Saturday by fourteen team point, same district a year and a half apart.
Speaker 6: Let's it tell yet, well, it tells me that Republicans have a real rough midterm election on their hands, at least as it stands now these You know, what I've learned about special elections over twenty plus years of covering them is it's not the outcome that matters, it's the trend. And this isn't an outlier in terms of all of the special elections we have had since Trump's second inaugural. This fits with a pattern of heavy Democratic overperformance. This also happens to be a suburban district. And by the way, you know, I know Terren County and Fort Worth a little bit. I have family there. It was a surprise, But I think you know two things to read from it. I think that it shows you that people can get quite uncomfortable with this president when the provocative rhetoric and the zillion things that he gets focused on overshadow the things that they want him to focus on. That maybe he is, but it's a possible to see because of the way he functions. Number Two, the Democrats nominated somebody who was like a viable, normal Texas politician. Right, he's a union guy, he's an Air Force vet. He talked about the issues they care about. He didn't talk about social issues and definitely not in a way that's going to turn off suburban conservatives. And so it shows you, you know, as Democrats, when you nominate somebody who voters are going to like, you can do better. And you know, Republicans, it shows you that partisan partisan drawing seats and the way people always vote, it's never good enough in a midterm elections, particularly when you control the House, the Senate, and the White House.
Speaker 1: So tell me then, what Abigail Spanberger is doing, because it seemed to me she ran as one of those moderate Democrats that are left. But everything I've seen, I'm been on the West Coast for a few weeks. I'll be back next week. She's lurched way to the left, and everything that Breeze moves or walks is going to be tacked and Virginia.
Speaker 6: Well, first, you know a lot of a lot of these proposals are coming out of the Democrats and the Virginia Legislature.
Speaker 5: Who you know, go figure, you know, you win a.
Speaker 6: Big election and people think that they voted for everything you ever talked about.
Speaker 5: So let's see what she accepts and what she rejects.
Speaker 6: Number two, she's not on the ballot, right, And how many times have we seen this? You run one way and then you say, you know, then you say to yourself and I give all the politicians been over the doubt. I want what's best for people. This will be best for people. This is what I'm gonna do. But what I would say is, as a regard to Spanburger, let's see what she accepts and see what she rejects. But Virginia Democrats in the legislature are making the mistake of veering away from what won them that election.
Speaker 1: No doubt, I agree with you, and I think they're also going to drive people like me to find another place to live. I left California because of taxes like they're proposing. I'll do it again. The good thing about broadcasts you can broadcast from anywhere. David Drucker David M. Drukker on X. Thank you, my friend. I'll be right back, America, stay tuned to the HWIT Show. Hi, it's you, Hewitt. You've heard me talk a lot about Consumer Cellular how you can switch your carrier and save money without sacrifice. That's because Consumer Cellular uses the same towers as the major carrier. You'll save money every month on your bill without having to sacrifice the quality of coverage. Right now, you get your second month free plus Folks who are fit to get two lines of unlimited talk, text and data for sixty dollars a month. That's in addition to the second month totally free using promo code Q and are you tired of your wireless company telling you have to talk to an AI robot, download an app, or on Horizon pay ten dollars to talk to someone when paying your bill? Yeah? No thanks. Consumer Cellular ranks number one for network coverage and customer satisfaction according to ACSI, whether you're switching online or over the phone, you'll be working with an actual human being based right here in the US. So switch and get your second month free plus two unlimited lines of sixty dollars if you're over fifty, go to consumer siler dot com, slash hu promo Hugh or call one hundred eight or call one eight hundred four one one forty four fifty four one eight hundred four one one forty four fifty four. That's one eight hundred four one one forty four to fifty four. Don't forget My code is Hugh.
Speaker 3: Set Nucleus Science.
Speaker 1: He walking back America. I'm here, Hewett, joined by James Lylyx, our resident correspondent in the Twin Cities, James Lilyx dot substack dot com humorist extraordinaire James. I was thinking of you this morning listening to the Ruthless podcast as they replayed the audio and video of a checkpoint that has been set up in the Twin Cities by anti Ice protesters. They're using palettes, shipping pallets to block traffic to check people's IDs to see if they're not Ice agent. Has that happened to you yet?
Speaker 5: That hasn't happened to be yet?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 7: I was considering the other day putting on some big Blaze or Oakley sunglasses of the type that are apparently favored by ICE agents and just sort of trying to drive by one of those checkpoints and see if they stopped me, And then you know, I have you know, no great fear of a single whistle, but the idea surrounding my car, these people blowing on their whistles like like holler monkeys that had aspirated a bag full of birthday party favors. It doesn't appeal to be so I haven't done that yet. What I love about it, though, is the idea of building a border, interrogating people who have crossed that border, and then asking them for their papers and to prove their legitimacy, and having been at that spot. The irony of this flies so far over the heads of these people that I am surprised it doesn't require FAA approval. They're in actually an area where the airport is, and I can just see a pilot's sighting as he's making a landing that we have the irony that's flying over the heads of these protesters right outside our window.
Speaker 1: Here change these people? Who are these people? Are they from the Twin Cities?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 7: Yes, I mean yet are there are there tourists of absolutely so?
Speaker 5: Are those people who.
Speaker 7: Say, hey, babe, it's going down in Minneapolis.
Speaker 5: It's time for the revolution, let's go.
Speaker 7: Yes, But for the most part, no, they are well meaning Minnesotans who have for whatever reason, ideological pre election because they've been on Facebook and soaking up the rage and the rest of it and they want to be part of it, or they just have an overwhelming desire to shout the F word as many times as possible. I have done so, and do so for genuine reasons. I mean, they're not out there. Not everybody out there is saying I'm opposed to ice. Oh, and I also want the establishment of the dictatorship of the proletariat.
Speaker 5: That's not true.
Speaker 7: You've just got an awful lot of Minnesotans of a liberal stripe, progressive stripe, and that's got a lot more left in the last few years as I've been here.
Speaker 5: Who are They're doing it because they believe in.
Speaker 1: It now, James, the question is, though you say irony flies above their head, Nevertheless, they are antifa, anti fascist. They're erecting borders and checkpoints. It's the thing that Stasse used to do to stop people from leaving East Berlin to go to West Berlin. Do they not get that irony or do they not remember West Berlin.
Speaker 7: No, absolutely not no. And of course we all know the fall of the wall was in a sense of tragedy because East Germany was so very good on women's rights and employment and the rest of it. So it's kind of a mixbake there you No, not at all. No, the irony of it, It doesn't they're not all Antifa. Some of them are Antifa adjacent, or there people who are down for the cause or whatever.
Speaker 3: But the idea that the city should allow there.
Speaker 7: To be a parallel government and police force that's moving around and determining who shall and shall not pass is one of those things that has to be extirpated immediately. Otherwise you get parallel police in parallel law enforcement in your very city, and that that can't stand.
Speaker 5: So one of these was dissembled.
Speaker 7: I saw and read it that there was somebody approvingly saying that the police seemed to be sympathetic to the cause man, because they were apologetic and they were really nice about it, and they took everything down to the other but they didn't arrest anybody. So it's like they felt bad about what they had to do. No, I don't think they felt bad about what they had to do. I think they were rolling their eyes of the fact that they had to go and drag some out.
Speaker 5: This is the middle of the street.
Speaker 1: This is news to me. So escape from Minneapolis as possible. Now the police have come and taken the pseudo checkpoints down.
Speaker 7: One of them that I saw, the one that's on Senar.
Speaker 5: I'm not so sure about there.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's not as if every single act but a point of egress in the city has been choked off by chanting mobs. That's not the case.
Speaker 5: I think it's I think it's about two or three.
Speaker 7: It's irritating to the people who have to slow down and present in the own show that they're not the bad guy. What time?
Speaker 1: Yes, you do people really slow down and show ID to non.
Speaker 7: Uniform No not everybody, No, not everybody. They will wave you through you look jet oh look at you. You're driving a Volvough You've got to co exist. Come bumper stick from the back. You have a nope, you know you're you're probably one of us. You got gray hair, or you got purple hair, or you know, you got a little kid and the well wait a minute, they got a little kid. Where do they get that little kid. They could have snatched them out of school like the rest of the fifteen thousand and five year olds that are apparently throng and Bishop Whipple Center.
Speaker 5: No, they waved them through.
Speaker 7: It's the big trucks, the big trucks that apparently are occupied by burley men who maybe just I don't know, go to work because they're burly guys who hammer nails and fixed plumbing for a living.
Speaker 1: And are the people that learned the other trucks at home depot with the drywall.
Speaker 5: Which I was at home.
Speaker 1: You are, yes, so you were at home depot or you stopped on your way there.
Speaker 5: The last night.
Speaker 7: And the funny thing about it is is that I'm living my life in such a normal fashion that I'm not in a defensive crouch for fascism to come and swoop down and carry me off in every second. And I suppose that's privilege. But there was no tension, there was no worry at home Depot. It's just home depot in the suburbs.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what That's why you are invaluable to the rest of the country. The rest of the country thinks the Twin Cities crazy. We believe that Timry and the demonstrators are all nuts and that you are surrounded by nuts. But you're not.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not, absolutely not.
Speaker 7: Now I know for certain that if I walked up the street, there's a house that's got all of the signs that are in favor of all of the current things. What do we do today, Let's swap out the Ukraine sign put in the gaza side. It's got in this house. We believe in a variety of unsubstantiated desertions. It's got to support the public workers, support the federal workers. Its festooned with every single protestation that you can possibly imagine. And I know that if I walk by that house and tip my to the person who came outside, that it would be friendly. Because the assumption is if you live in this town, you think the right things, you're one of the good people.
Speaker 1: Yes, do they have?
Speaker 7: Just a second time in two weeks, twenty five years, it's been are.
Speaker 5: Are you losing it?
Speaker 3: I am loving?
Speaker 1: I moving beging to be wrong? Does the sign? Does the house with the sign have anything on it about the thirty thousand Iranians that a remode down by the regime.
Speaker 7: No, absolutely not. That would be unfortunate. That may be unfortunate, but unfortunately, as a lot of these things, it would embolden the wrong people to say so, it would embolden Donald Trump, it would embolden the Islamophobes, it would embolden etcetera, etcetera.
Speaker 1: So you know, you know, thirty thousand people were murdered two weeks ago and the house with the sign doesn't note it. I'm amazed by that. The ironies in Minneapolis never failed to make James lyas can be read at James Lyc dot substack dot com James lyct substack dot com. Next week, we hope he's still free. That's we check in weekly the Chambe and make sure he's still living in the free city of the Twin Cities. Stay to in America.