Speaker 1: The voice of free speech, the truth delivered common sense for the American people.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Scott Jennings Show. AOC appears on ABC and boy was it revealing. We have audio and commentary ahead. Senator Jim Banks of Indiana is here. We'll talk about the Senate landscape for the fall, and Congressman Russell Fry from South Carolina's coming by. He's on the ballot tomorrow as South Carolina Republicans choose a replacement for Lindsey Graham. Today is Monday, August the tenth. I'm Scott Jennings Broadcasting for Salem and we come to you live from Louisville, Kentucky today this weekend. By the way, I was up in Washington, d C. And stop by the Young America's Foundation. They invited me to give their keynote address on Saturday night.
Speaker 1: It's the annual conference. Over a thousand kids.
Speaker 2: I think their biggest group ever there at the j W Mary terrific group. Here's what I told them about the stakes of American politics.
Speaker 1: Cut seven. Make no mistake.
Speaker 2: The DSA is the captain now and that is why American politics, this year's midterms and your work at yaf. They are fundamentally about one thing, defending Western civilization and our American way of life, and we must defend it against a range of ideologies and on holy alliance of communism, socialism, radical Islamism, transgenderism, anti Semitism, any other ism that's been devised in the faculty lounges of Columbia in Berkeley. You'll notice that some of these ideologies even believe opposite things. It is curious, isn't it. And I'm sure you've wondered why are they in cahoots? Why are people who would be thrown off of a building in the Middle East marching down Fifth Avenue with a sign that says queers for hamas.
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Think back to your history classes. What unites people better than anything else a common enemy, and this toxic brew of ideologies has a common enemy, and that enemy is all of you.
Speaker 1: That enemy is.
Speaker 2: All of us who love America, all of us who defend the West and what it stands for. I want to thank the Young America's Foundation for the chance to speak to these great college conservatives this weekend. And then I woke up on Sunday morning and had a little crossover appearance on ABC's This Week program, and I tangled with Democratic strategist Donna Brazil over the nature of the socialist takeover of the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: Listen to this exchange cut eight.
Speaker 3: I've been in this big ten party probably longer than most people, and I can tell you we're having the same kind of growing pains I saw on the Republican side, whether it was through to Tea Party and twenty ten, the activists who helped to bring about the Maga movements.
Speaker 2: And with all due respect to my friend Donna, there's nothing like You can't draw any equivalents between the Tea Party movement and the socialist For one, the Tea Party folks weren't trying to bring about the downfall of Western civilization and the United States of America abolished the police, abolish ice, abolished borders, abolished the Senate, abolished the Constitution. There was nothing like this in the Republican Party. So it's an extreme political ideology that is gaining traction. The Democrat leadership has lost control. They know it, and people like Alexandria Ocassio Cortez Hong in Wisconsin. Abdua l sayed in Michigan, if you talk about the Big Tent. The Democrat Jewish Attorney General of Michigan cannot even go to her party's nominating convention because she says I won't be safe there because of the supporters of abdul l sayed this phrase the big Tent. A lot of Democrats are using it right now. I hope the inside of that tent has padded walls because the people they've led in to run the place are crazy. I do want to thank the good people over at ABC News for heaving me in this weekend. I enjoyed my visit, and don't worry, I'll be back on CNN for the rest of the week. On this day, by the way, nineteen seventy seven, one of New York City's most frustrating man hunts came to an end when police arrested a twenty four year old postal worker. Now New York City was terrorized, six were murdered, seven more injured, and this postal worker taunted the cops in the media with a series of cryptic letters for over a year, but the postal worker finally pleaded guilty to all of it and got three hundred and sixty five years in prison.
Speaker 1: David Berkowitz was his name.
Speaker 2: You probably remember him as the son of Sam Today's news. Honestly, the most interesting thing going on right now is the civil war inside the Democratic Party. The Socialists have the momentum and the energy. They are now trying to introduce a new political tactic, which is to laugh and lie their way through the crazy things that they have said and that they prefer over the years. Alexandria Ocassio Cortes appeared on ABC on Sunday morning.
Speaker 1: I want you to listen to this cut number two.
Speaker 4: I have a local city councilman that has this.
Speaker 1: Saying Woke one was crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, we agree on one thing, Woke one was crazy, But just wait until you get a load of woke two and listen carefully.
Speaker 1: Listen carefully to AOC with cut eleven. I mean too far with some of those positions.
Speaker 5: I mean you briefly supported the idea of defunding the police.
Speaker 4: Of course, rhetoric in that time is not rhetoric that we would use today. And I'm grateful that these candidates have the opportunity to present who they are to their electorate and what they're campaigning on in this moment.
Speaker 2: Listen carefully to that. AOC says, that's not rhetoric that we would use anymore. In other words, she's saying, well, we're smarter than we used to be. We just won't say out loud what we think or what we would do if you handed us power. But make no mistake, not only do they still believe all the crazy things they said back during WOKE one, they have added to it. We are well beyond defund the police. At this point. The Democratics Socialists of America platform is very clear. Abolish the police, Abolish the border, abolished prisons, abolish ice, Abolish all immigration enforcement, Abolish the US Senate, abolish the presidency. They want to abolish our country and our constitution as we know it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The good people over at the DSA haven't gotten AOC's memo just yet. The national co chair of the DSA is a woman named Megan Roamer. She did an interview a few days ago. Well, I'll let you take a listen to this cut five.
Speaker 6: But we do believe in taxing the hell out of millionaires.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, Well what is taxing the hell out of them?
Speaker 8: Mean?
Speaker 1: Uh? Yeah, you know again, I don't have like a solid but should I think, But shouldn't you.
Speaker 9: I mean, if you're the co chair, if you're the co chair of the DSA, shouldn't you be more specific than just taxing the hell out of something?
Speaker 7: What exactly do you mean?
Speaker 6: So again, it's democracy, right, and we have to look at what we need to spend and what we need.
Speaker 1: We don't want to depend on the existence.
Speaker 6: Of millionaires because that means people are still getting exploited. So yeah, we need to look at what we need to pay for in the interim, what sort of tax base we need for that to happen, and then and build from there.
Speaker 2: Now, I want you to imagine this person serving as White House chief of staff, or as a Cabinet secretary, or as a senator or a congressman. This is what's coming if you don't wake up, America. This is what is in store for your country. Other news, the Ukrainians are striking deep into Russian territory a long range drone attack at a major oil hub in central Russia, some seven hundred and fifty miles from Ukraine. They killed thirteen and injured seventy five more. Kiev says it targeted a refinery as part of a campaign to cripple Russia's energy industry and to force Vladimir Hooton to the negotiating table, and you can file this under Finally, the Trump administration is continuing to tighten the screws on foreign nationals who violate the terms of entering this country. The State Department, it's been announced, has revoked more than one hundred and seventy five thousand visas since Trump returned to office. The leading reasons overstaying visasrunk driving and assault, and theft. Thousands of student and specialized worker visas have been pulled. The administration's message is simple. A visa is a privilege and not a right, and breaking America's laws can cost you that privilege. Let's talk about supplements, as we often do. Two things matter the most. Does it work? Can I trust it? We hear from people every single day whose lives have changed. They've answered these questions for themselves. I think their stories could answer them for you. Here's a letter from Chris. He spent years doing physical work and it left his feet at the end of every day. After starting a relief factor, he felt so good. Chris did something he'd never done before. He actually ran a half marathon. Now he tells all of his friends about Relief Factor. It is so easy to find out if you could possibly be the next person telling us your relief Factor story. All you gotta do is call him up one eight hundred four Relief or go to relief Factor dot Com. You get the three week quick start supply. It is but seventeen dollars and seventy six cents relief Factor dot Com one eight hundred and four Relief. You get on the phone with our team, They'll do everything they can do to help you, and I hope very soon you'll be sharing with us your relief Factor story. More news after this, it's Scott Jennings on Salem. Stay with us fighting the left with the best weapon we have, common sense.
Speaker 1: This is the Scott Jennis show I Hold.
Speaker 2: In my Hands article in which the headline reads democrats new plan to win in November. Just be normal. That's literally the headline of this article. I'm going to discuss it in just a moment. First a word and at a suggestion from our friends at Americans for Prosperity, if you'd like to do something meaningful with lasting impact during this America two fifty celebration. AFP thinks you ought to do this, and I agree, take less than ten minutes and read the Declaration of Independence. AFP has launched the Declaration Project, a nationwide effort to help Americans rediscover the principles that made this country exceptional dignity, freedom, opportunity, self government. The Declaration tells us that all men are created equal and that our rights come from our creator, and government derives its just powers from the consent of the governed. These truths, friends, are not for displays at a museum. They are the foundation of American liberty. So this summer, and by the way, your kids are about to go back to school, why don't you take this back to school period and say, you know, before you go back to school, I want to give you a little education. In our household. We're going to read the Declaration out loud. You know, I'm going to do it with my kids. Actually, it's a good time to do it. Read the Declaration of Independence. Anywhere you gather up with your friends and family, just do it. Talk about what those words mean to you. AFP is leading the charge to secure our founding principles for the next two hundred and fifty years, and I'd like you to visit their website A two fifty toolkit dot com slash scott. That's a two five zero toolkit dot com slash scott. You'll find all sorts of ideas and resources on there about celebrating America two fifty, including this excellent idea about reading a declaration of independence. All right, this article, this caught my attention today, written by a reporter named Alex Rority. I've talked to him before. I know Alex, and he's in the news organization called Notice n ot Us News of the United States.
Speaker 1: Democrats new plan to win in November.
Speaker 2: Just be normal. Here is the problem with this plan. They've not nominated anybody that's normal. Their party is anything but normal. Their leaders are not normal. Have you seen Chuck Schumer try to grill a cheeseburger? Even he he is not normal. Hakeem Jeffries a weirdo of the highest order. He's not normal in all these candidates around the country, weirdo.
Speaker 1: After weirdo after weirdo.
Speaker 2: New York City Darre Eliza Avila Chevalier, New York thirteen. No, it means ending policing, full stop period. No more police at all, ever, does that sound normal to you? Francesca Hong, who's likely going to get the Democratic nomination for governor in Wisconsin this very week, cancel Thanksgiving. Should have done this in sixteen twenty one. She called Thanksgiving a colonizer holiday and quote the original super spreader event. This is who they're running for governor in Wisconsin. Does this sound normal to you? Colorado one me lot Cairos. She took out an incumbent in a primary. She called the Hamas October seventh massacre quote the inevitable consequence of apartheid. It was just inevitable. They had to come over and rape and murder and kidnap.
Speaker 1: All these people.
Speaker 2: She has suggested that America is to blame for September the eleventh. Claire Valdez, another nominee, accusing ICE agents of kidnapping immigrants. Well, they're illegal immigrants. They're in our country illegally. They're enforcing the law. But if you want to call that kidnapping, it makes me wonder what she thinks about other laws. Like what if you I don't know, Rob Debank and the police arrested you, have they kidnapped you.
Speaker 1: You'd be lad to believe that. Perhaps that's what they think.
Speaker 2: You should read this article Democrats new plan to win in November Just be normal. The problem is is that they aren't normal, and so what you're gonna have are a bunch of people trying to act normal because that's what they are, theater kids who act like things. I have a feeling the American people are going to be able to smell this garbage from a mile away.
Speaker 1: More news after this Scott Jennings on Salem. Stay with us.
Speaker 8: The conversation said stories you simply won't hear from the mainstream media.
Speaker 1: It's the Scott Jennings Show.
Speaker 2: It is Monday, August tenth, here on Salem. I'm Scott Jennings, common sense for the American people. Tomorrow, by the way, another primary election day across our nation. Some of the primaries will be decided in critical states like Wisconsin and Minnesota, and also South Carolina has an interesting campaign going on. Was a race that no one expected due to the tragic death of Senator Lindsey Graham. So the Republicans are choosing a replacement for Senator Graham on tomorrow's ballot, and one of the candidates for that is joining us in just a moment. Let's hear what he is telling the people of South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Cut one, I'm.
Speaker 10: Running because I believe that South Carolina's best days and America's best days are still ahead of them. Fight alongside President Trump to secure the border, restore American energy dominance, reign in Washington spending, strengthen our military, and create an economy where families can finally feel like they can get ahead again, not just get by. God blessed South Carolina and God bless the United States.
Speaker 7: Russell fry and I approved this.
Speaker 2: Message and the voice you were hearing there joins us Live Congressman Russell Frye. He currently represents the seventh District of South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Welcome back into the Scott Jenning Show. Russell.
Speaker 7: Great to be here, Scott, thanks for having me on today.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you're here because you know, we've known each other for a while now, and I'm fascinated by this campaign. First of all, the circumstances of it are tragic.
Speaker 1: Senator Graham passes away.
Speaker 2: He was supposed to be on the ballot for the US Senate in November. So now the Republicans have to choose a replacement for him, and a whole bunch of people have filed. President Trump has weighed in, and he initially appointed the governor of South Carolina. Initially appointed Darlene Graham, Senator Graham's sister, as the caretaker for this final few months of this term, but then she decided to run for a full six year term, which I think surprised a lot of people. But she's got that Trump endorsement and obviously carries the familial tie there with Lindsey Graham.
Speaker 1: You're running from a different angle. Why don't you tell us about it?
Speaker 5: I think people are hungry right now in South Carolina and really across the country. They want a new generation of conservative leadership. That they want somebody who's battle tested, to be a fighter, to be in the arena in kind of the most heady Roosevelt type of way, that you're tested, that.
Speaker 7: You're in this for the long haul.
Speaker 5: But they also want somebody who can produce results, who has put together coalitions, and they want people to work with President Trump and not against them. They want people to not grandstand, They want things to get done. One of the biggest critiques that I hear from the conservative activists around the state and around the country is why can't Republicans stand together?
Speaker 7: Why does it always seem like that they're fractured.
Speaker 5: I've got a record of putting people together, passing legislative agenda items in furtherance of the president's agenda.
Speaker 7: So, look, this country is a remarkable place.
Speaker 5: It survived two hundred and fifty years through depressions, recessions, a.
Speaker 7: Civil war, two World wars.
Speaker 5: I think our calling right now is what does the next two hundred and fifty look like? Are we going to allow socialism to take root in our society? Are we going to allow this country to fail? Are we going to allow our children to inherit less than we were given when we took the mantle? And I think resoundingly people say no. But they want a fighter and they want somebody to produce results. And I think that's really kind of the mix of what we offer to this field.
Speaker 1: Russell Fry as our guest.
Speaker 2: He's running to take up the Republican line on the November ballot to replace the former senator tragically passed away, Lindsey Graham. Russell, this has been a weird campaign. It's been going on for like two weeks, and that's all the time that there was for voters to consider this. I know you obviously are in great contact with your congressional district, but you're getting out around the rest of South Carolina. What are the top one or two things that you're hearing from people? They're processing the news, they're watching the Democrats, they're watching the Republicans. Need to boil it down to one or two things you hear most often from Conservatives Reublicans.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 5: Well, conservatives want a chance to elect their senator and not necessarily have it selected for them.
Speaker 7: I think that's a big distinguishing thing.
Speaker 5: But on the issues, look, everybody's focused on what are we going to do to allow the middle class to thrive? How are we going to help provide some relief to working families and not from a socialist vantage point, what are we going to do?
Speaker 7: And people can talk about that.
Speaker 5: Everyone, i think collectively is talking about affordability. What I'm trying to offer, and I think our steps that you could take right that we protect certainly our constitutional liberties, that we create in further, a protax environment that allow or excuse me, a pro growth environment that allows you to keep more money, not send as much to Washington, d C. For your family, that you create a regulatory environment that allows you to maybe build some nuclear generation facilities or some power plants, because people hate paying a little electric bill. So look, it always boils down to the pocketbook issues. And that's how I grew up. We didn't have much growing up. You know, we were considered poor in this small little town in coastal South Carolina by.
Speaker 7: Every stretch of the imagination. And so I get how that pinch feels. I know it. And so my mission has always been, how can we create.
Speaker 5: That upward lift, that that wind in the sales to the middle class so that they can, you know, have an optimistic view of tomorrow, so they could save.
Speaker 7: A little bit of money for their child's education. These are things that I hear the most.
Speaker 2: Scott Russell Fry running for the US Senate Republican nomination in South Carolina as our special guest today. So you're running against Darlene Graham, who is Lindsey Graham's sister. Mentioned that also in the race is another name that'll be familiar to a lot of our audience around the country, and that's Ralph Norman. He's also a congressman you serve with Ralph Norman affiliated with the House Freedom Caucus, and he just ran for governor but did not do that well in that particular primary. I've seen some polling and I'm a little look, I'm a little leary of what polling may or may not be able to reveal for a two week, you know, snap campaign like this. But it seems to me that the people that have the best chance to finish in the top two, which if nobody gets fifty percent it will go to a runoff, are Graham, You and then Ralph Norman seems to be right there. Where do you differ from Ralph Norman? What makes you a better choice for US Senate?
Speaker 5: Well, I think from a conservative vote perspective in Congress, we're pretty We're pretty similar, I think stylistically though, we're very different, which is, you know, I want to build coalitions and put things together. I think, you know, age obviously, we just lost a seventy one year old senator, So people are you know talking about that is who has the most runway if you will to deliver the best results. Who's got the energy, the tenacity, the grit, the fight to deliver results that we expect. It's not enough, I think for anyone in South Carolina or across the country. It's not enough to cast conservative votes. You need that, but you also needservative results. We've done that in the Congress, have been there just a few brief period, if you will, but we've passed substantive legislation in furtherance of the president's agenda. You know, we've helped bring resources back to the state in areas that need it. We've been there, We've battle tested and ready to go. Look on the big issues of the day. We're equipped to talk about that and make the case for conservative governance. But we also get things done in the most blue collar way. That's kind of what I bring to the table and maybe what distinguishes me from some others in this race.
Speaker 2: So, as we noted, President Trump has gone for Darlene Graham here. But you are and have been a close ally of President Trump. You've been in regular touch with President Trump over the years. You've been a strong supporter of his agenda in the US House. So you're in a situation now where you're saying to Republican voters who love the president and want to follow his lead on most issues, I'm actually the best choice. How are you making that case to that cohort of voters who really looked to him for advice on how to cast their balance.
Speaker 5: Well, it's like the same thing in politics or anything else. Everyone's with you when you won or when you win. But we were there with the president from the beginning when it was somewhat politically perilous or unpopular to do so. I thought this man had done a remarkable job in his first term, and when he was gearing up to run, we stood with him when not a lot of people were.
Speaker 7: And so people kind.
Speaker 5: Of cloaked themselves in the MAGA banner right now, and we're happy to have strengthen numbers. But you know, I took on a Trump impeacher just a few years ago, one of the ten Republicans that voted to impeach Trump. I didn't have the President's endorsement right out the gate. In fact, it took me a couple months to earn it. But when we did, it was lights out. We were off to the races. So in every measure of the sense, you know, I didn't endorse somebody else for president.
Speaker 7: I endorsed Trump.
Speaker 5: I didn't run for president against Trump, as Mark Sanford had done, and I showed up to vote in the presidential preference primary, which is something that Darling had not done. So we've been with the President through thick and thin, and he needs allies in the Senate most of all. Right now, it seems to be a body that doesn't have a lot of strength with the President's agenda, and he needs those people and they're helping because his success is our success. If he is successful as our commander in chief and as our president, then the American people are ultimately successful. We want to kind of work in tandem with the White House to enact good legislation, and we're ready to do it.
Speaker 2: I think you raise an issue that should be on the minds of voters, and that is with Lindsey Graham gone that bridge between Donald Trump and his administration a lot of the US Senate, his fingerprints were often on getting people together and trying to get an outcome. He was an outcomes base guy. I'm not sure currently in the Senate that person exists to replace him. Do you feel like because of your relationship of President Trump and your coalition building experience in the House, you could eventually fill those shoes and be someone who's kind of a glue for all the different parts of the party that you need to put together to get anything done in the Senate.
Speaker 7: I think so. And certainly Lindsay was phenomenal at this.
Speaker 5: I mean, he really did work with the administration, with the President, and he was that glue.
Speaker 7: He was that cement.
Speaker 5: And so we stand ready and able to help however we can. Again, we have to row together. We've been afforded this wonderful opportunity where Republicans control the House, Senate and White House, and sometimes we get in our own way, and in the Senate in particular, you know, you've got to have allies of the president that are willing to kind of triangulate efforts to push things through. I mean, at the end of the day, this is a legislative exercise. We have to get stuff done that the American people care about. We've had great success. Let's keep our let's keep the foot on the gas pedal. But we need to make sure that he has allies in the Senate that are able to do that.
Speaker 2: Russell Frym and I gave you the last word Obviously you're running against a bunch of Republicans tomorrow, but the true enemy is these are these socialists who've taken over the Democratic Party. I'm sure you've seen some of what they've been out running on. Abolish the police, abolish ice, abolished porters. AOC on ABC this weekend said, well, you know that's not rhetoric that we should be saying out loud. What's your message to the people of South Carolina about the stakes of this election.
Speaker 5: People want to fight or they want somebody who can advocate for their interests. People feel the pinch right now, and I think the choice between before us is really what is the road that this country will take. Are we going to go down the slow road of socialism and destruction and despair where we replace God with government and ruin the middle class?
Speaker 7: Are we going to do that?
Speaker 5: That seems to be what the other side wants to do. So send a fighter to Washington, d C. Somebody who can confront this right in its face and beat it back. We have survived, and we have a great opportunity to have in this country off to our kids and our grandkids better than we found it. That path is before us, right now, but only if we elect the right people to take that fight in Washington, DC or your state capital.
Speaker 7: It doesn't matter. Make sure we go get the job done. It's that important.
Speaker 2: Congressman Russell Frye from South Carolina seven, good luck tomorrow, will be tracking the results.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your time today.
Speaker 7: Thank you, sir. Appreciate it all right.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about where I sleep, my sleeping arrangements. I have recently switched my bedding, my actual physical bed. I am now sleeping on a ghost bed. I did it because it's hot in the summer, and people often blame the summer heat for bad sleep. And it may be that your mattress is trapping heat and if you sleep hot like I do, summer only makes it worse, which is why I switched over to ghost bed. It keeps you cool all night. You do not wake up sweaty, tossing and turning, throwing off the covers at two am. I'm on a ghost bed now and you should be too. I'm going to tell you more about it when we come back. It's Scott Jennings on Salem.
Speaker 1: Stay with it. Slay the leftist narratives one by one.
Speaker 7: Now, this is the Scott Jennings Show.
Speaker 2: As I mentioned, we are proud to welcome into the Scott Jennings Show our new friends and partners at ghost Bed. We've got a ghost Bed in the Jennings household. Now, cooling tech is built into every mattress for ghost Bed. You don't have to pay for an expensive upgrade. It's just there and hot sleepers. And I cannot stress this enough. We're hot sleepers. They are some of the happiest customers at ghost bed. Incredible support, less stiffness, deeper sleep, more rested mornings. That's what we're experience with ghost Bed. Now, if you get a ghost bed they give you one hundred and one nights to try it at home, one hundred and one nights to try this out, to feel the difference for yourself.
Speaker 1: And this is important.
Speaker 2: Ghost bed is offering my audience, all of you, an extra ten percent off now with what the.
Speaker 1: Financing they do.
Speaker 2: By the way, ghost beds come out to around a dollar a day, a dollar a day.
Speaker 1: You can't beat it. I want you to do this.
Speaker 2: Go to ghostbed dot com slash Jennings and use promo code Jennings ghostbed dot com slash Jennings and use promo code Jennings. They're going to get you ten percent off of a ghost bed. You will not regret this comfortable, cool mattress. You'll get on there and you don't want to get out of it. That's what I was thinking this morning. I don't want to get out of bed, but I did. Here I am You'll be having these same fights with yourself if you get a ghost bed, really great product.
Speaker 1: We appreciate ghost bed.
Speaker 2: It's not haunted, by the way, somebody asked me, who is exactly is haunting your bed?
Speaker 1: Literally not haunted, but ghost bed is cool.
Speaker 2: I can tell you that that's the main thing. Who wants to sleep hot? Who hates waking up sweaty?
Speaker 10: I do.
Speaker 1: Ghost bid takes care of it all. Right.
Speaker 2: Let's tackle a story that has been unfolding over the last few days. And I can't believe I'm having to talk about the w NBA as much as I am. I typically talk about profitable companies on this show, love profitable organizations. This is a decidedly unprofitable operation. They lose money every year, does the w NBA. And part of the reason they do is because the league is made up of a bunch of coaches and players who were either terrible at their jobs or and or are more interested in grinding political actses and apparently perpetrating a race or in America, there was a play last week where a player named Djona Carrington clotheslined Sophie Cunningham who was going up for a layup, and Dja Carrington was hit with what they call a flagrant two, which means basically, you committed a WWE style or UFC style maneuver that had nothing to do with basketball, and not only have you committed a foul, but were throwing you out of the game. That's how bad it was. You've probably seen it. Complete attempted decapitation of Sophie Cunningham and this player, Dja Carrington. I went back to the locker room and immediately sent out a social media post white privilege. She put out on social media. Here's what I found crazy. So the Fever, that's one of the teams. That's the team with Sophie Cunningham. They have a head coach. Now, if you were the head coach of a team and you had a player like Sophie Cunningham and she was darn near had her neck broken on the court by a player from the other team.
Speaker 1: What would you do?
Speaker 2: You'd probably go to a press conference and say this is terrible. I love Sophie Cunningham. I love my player. She is a good player and she doesn't deserve to be treated this way. But what did the coach of the Indiana Fever do listen to this and cut ten one of the.
Speaker 11: Things about she's gonna play her butt off, man, she's gonna compete, nobody's gonna go walking in for a layup. And so I don't oppose the hard foul, but I also don't think that she intentionally went.
Speaker 9: For the name.
Speaker 2: Stephanie White is her name. So instead of defending her player, she defends Djona Carrington, who tried to, let's be honest, badly injure Sophie Cunningham. And she's getting defended by this coach. If you watch the press conference, you see Caitlin Clark with her head in her hands.
Speaker 1: She knows how bad that answer was.
Speaker 2: Just another story in the long, bizarre saga of how the WNBA is the worst run sports organization in the world. More news after this come back, It's Scott Jennings on Salem. Quick check of the headlines here on Monday, August tenth, and this just end of the Scott Jenny Show, the Secretary of War Pete Hegseth and Senator Darlene Graham in South Carolina have officially unveiled the newly named Joint Base Lindsey Graham. That was Joint based Charleston, but they've now changed it to Joint Base Lindsey Graham. Something they said they were going to do and now that is complete. A nice gesture to the former senator. As we reported to you last hour, Republicans going to the polls tomorrow in South Carolina to choose a successor Republican to appear on the ballot in November.
Speaker 1: Here's a story that blows a hole.
Speaker 2: In the propaganda campaign accusing Israel of deliberately starving Gaza. According to a new UNISEF report, acute malnutrition rates in Gaza now stand between just two tenths and eight tenths of one percent, lower than in many countries across the Middle East, and roughly the same as several in Western Europe, including Germany. The data says more than two million tons of food Gaza since the ceasefire which exceeds humanitarian requirements. So in Gaza, food prices are falling, markets are offering greater variety, bakeries and community kitchens are operating.
Speaker 1: And you should remember all of this the.
Speaker 2: Next time someone tells you that Israel is currently perpetrating a genocide. The data simply does not support the talking point or the propaganda. There continues to be fallout from the Michigan primary that occurred just a week ago. Several prominent Democrats are refusing to line up behind their controversial nominee for Senate, Abdual Lsied, joining us to discuss this. One of those Democrats, Julian Epstein, is here. Julian, thanks for coming back on the Scott Jennings Show. I caught your op ed that you wrote for Fox News. You say that Democrats aren't coddling Scandinavian style socialists, They're getting into bed with a neolistic, deconstructionist brand of third world. You say you are raising money for Mike Rogers, the Republican in Michigan. I assume ninety nine percent of the time in your life you have voted and supported Democrats, but that's changing.
Speaker 1: Tell us about your views.
Speaker 12: Well, Scott, thanks for having me on. Yes, I am going to be supporting Mike Rogers and opposing Al Sayad because I think Sayad represents a radical and very destructive movement on the left that is a vowedly Marxist Leninist. If you listen to DSA's own members talk about what they believe and put together with a radical Islamist movement that is anti Semitic at its core, and that is very anti American as well. And you know, you can go back to the Kennedy administration in the nineteen sixties, Scott and Neil Kinnick in Britain in the nineteen nineties, George Herbert Walker Bush who said no to the Akka and the Paduke, and Bill Clinton who said no to Sister Soldia cop killing rap singers. And in each case you saw the party leaders take a bold and courageous stand that not only made sense politically, but also made sense morally in terms of what the party represented, and they took a stand against extremism. And I think what you're seeing happening inside the Democratic Party, I'm sorry to say, is the party is a shrinking party. It's losing the middle class at hemorrhage black and Hispanic vote in the last election, and it's increasingly siding on issues that are eighty twenty ninety ten, which I think the DSA agenda is, and that would be being generous to DSA, and the party leaders no longer have the guts to sort of stand up and say, this is lunatic hour, this is a big tent. Does not mean welcoming bigotry into your tent. A big tent does not mean welcoming an ideology that wants to destroy your cultural and your political acad institutions. And the party leaders just no longer have the guts, sort of the confidence to be able to stand up and say this is not who we are.
Speaker 2: Longtime Democratic strategists dating back to the Clinton era. Julian Epstein is our guest. Julian, you just used a phrase that I think we ought to talk about, and that is big tent. I was on ABC yesterday morning with Donna Brazil. She used the word big ten. I've heard Pete Bootage use the phrase big tent. This is their attempt to try to, I guess, put their arms around these socialists, these radicals, and I'm not certain that the radicals want them in the tent when all.
Speaker 1: Is said and done.
Speaker 2: I think one of the problems for the Democratic Party regulars or the people who came before this radicalism is they may say, welcome into the big tent, but I think the people they're letting in are going to throw them out, and have in some cases already in primaries, thrown them out at the earth earliest possible opportunity.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that?
Speaker 12: I think you're exactly right. The piece I wrote, by the way, a small point. It was in the New York Post on Friday. I think Fox News picked up pieces of it. They did, but yes, yes, I think you know. Going back to Kennedy for a second, he had in his inaugural address the famous line that those that try to ride the back of a tiger wind up inside. What he meant by that was that those that tolerate and try to appease the rise of authoritarian communism end up being next on the dinner menu. Churchill had a similar line that said, the appeaser is the guy who believes that by feeding the alligator, he'll be the last one the alligator eats. And this is sort of the mentality you go back to this extremism. You know the Jacobins and the French Revolution, the Bolsheviks who went after the Mensheviks and the Russian Revolution. This is always the ideology of the far left, sort of Marxist Leninist movement, which is to use the moderates as long as they can to get into the power, and once they're in power, to give them the guillotine. So I think this is a suicide march for the party establishment that thinks that they can sort of came this extremist movement. So yes, I think it is foolish from that point of view. I also think that what they are doing is they're making an incredible political miscalculation. What you're talking about with this movement, Scott is mostly privileged, white college educated kids that don't want to do what their parents' generation did, which is build for the future. We have a lot of challenges with AI and so on, and they don't want to take that challenge on it. Instead, what they want is a confiscatory policy that takes from the most successful people so that they can create sort of a moucher culture, amuture society that anybody understands economics one on one knows that will collapse in a short time. But you know there's a if you look at what happened in all of these primaries, you're talking about these socialists getting elected, these or Marxist Leninists. I think Free Press has done a great piece on this, reporting that over fifty percent of DSA members consider themselves Marxist Leninists. But what I think you see is an elector at these people being elected with about ten percent twelve percent of the vote. Sayad got about twelve percent of the vote in Michigan, and I think you're going to see a lot of Democrats like myself saying I don't want any part of this. I don't want any part of tearing down you know, open borders is sort of the new Marxist idea of saying, let's unify the global proletariat, right, and that's how we will defeat the free market. Let's get rid of all our I think most normies, and I think Rogers is a normy. That's why I'm supporting him. Look at this stuff and say this is a freak show, and I don't want to be part of it. And so you hear euphemisms from Donna who's a friend, and others saying big tent, big tent. This is just a euphemism for saying we are going to allow anti American deconstructionists that believe in the neal racist bigotry on the left, which is particularly targeted at anti Semitism. And by the way, you've been just magnificent on this issue, so I said thank you to you for that. But it's a euphemism for saying we are going to let these lunatics into the party because we're so desperate to get votes. I mean, look at what the Democratic Party has done in the last six seven, eight years. I mean Russia Gate, which I fell for. I don't have clean hands on that issue because I was the chief counsel on impeachment in the late nineties with Clinton, and so I was getting a lot of cop interview requests on impeachment in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, and I initially fell for it. But that was a complete fabrication that I think Obama has dirty hands on and the Democratic Party has dirty hands on. And they all knew it was a fabrication. They all knew it was a grand conspiracy theory that had no merit immigration. Similarly, by letting you know, ten twelve undocumented immigrations just sort of invade the porter with the hopes that they would eventually become Democratic voters because the Democratic Party is shrinking now for only twenty six twenty seven percent of the public actually identify as Democrats. That was a way of trying to hold onto power. The tolerance of this Marxist Leninist radical Islamic movement, and that's what it is. You got the Sayad's on state right and you can see on alignment with radical Islam. The tolerance of this kind of thing is can only be explained, in my view, by a raw thirst for power and a hold on to power on a party that's shrinking because postmodern liberalism is failing.
Speaker 2: Julian Epstein is a longtime Democratic strategist and a lot of experience in the Democratic Party. But I think they've gone too far for you, Julian, And you're supporting Mike Rogers up in Michigan because he's the normy in this particular election. Thanks for your time today. Check out his piece that was printed originally in the New York Post. More after this on Salem's stay with Us one man standing tall against the leftist mob.
Speaker 7: Here's Scott Jennings.
Speaker 2: I am but one man, but we have an army of patriots and conservatives and common sense Americans out there who are all standing up together against the radicalism and insanity that is currently engulfing American politics. We welcome you into the show here on Monday, August the tenth. I do want to talk to you for a moment about supplements. You get a lot of ads for supper, A lot of people say take this, take that.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: You're being bombarded by supplement information and when you get this information, you're probably asking yourself, well, let's see does it work? And can I trust it? With relief Factor, which you know we take and enjoy here on the Scott Jennings Show. The answer to both questions is yes, you don't have to take my word for it however you need, but listen to the customers of Relief Factor. Here's a note from Doug. He took relief Factor for a year before convincing his wife, who was a special needs teacher, to try it out. She had been using assistance just to get up and down the hallway at school. Now, after using Relief Factor. At Doug's urging, she is back on her feet. She does not have to leave the job that she loves. That's a great story. I think what you should be asking yourself is, huh if I take Factor, will they be using my story on the Scott Jetting Show. There's only one way to find out. That's to try it. Three weeks of relief Factor is seventeen dollars and seventy six cents. You can go get it at relief factor dot com or by calling one eight one hundred and four Relief. You'll connect up with our friendly team. They'll do everything they can do to help you out, and I hope you will send in your Relief Factor story as soon as you can. A little bit more breaking news into the Scott Jennings Show today. Here's what we know down in Colombia. At least eight people are dead in that nation after a powerful seven point four magnitude earthquake happened in western Colombia. I'm looking at some details that have been published by my employer CNN. They're talking to local officials and the affected areas. Again, at least eighty people are dead. Tragic situation. This all happened at the epicenter they say was in San Jose del Palmar. That's in the northwestern department of Choco, about two hundred and forty kilometers or one hundred and fifty miles or so west of Bogata. So this was a very strong earthquake. They did feel it in the nation's capital and alarms have been sounding. People were evacuating into the streets there in Bogata as a precaution. Now, it's interesting in Colombia, they have a new president. This guy just took office on Friday. His name is Ablardo de la Espriea. Again, he was just sworn in to office, and he has convened an emergency committee to address the damage from this powerful earthquake. The Colombian government has declared a state of national disasters. But again the headline here eighty people at least are dead in this seven point four earthquake in Columbia. CNN has excellent coverage of this rolling at cnn dot com.
Speaker 1: You could check that out.
Speaker 2: Also, President Trump, in the last little bit has issued a statement. Now you may have read that. In this back and forth between the United States and Iran over who is going to control the strad and how we're going to end the war that they've been saying, they meaning Iran, we want reparations. We want reparations for all the damage you cause. Well, Trump has responded to this. He says, I see that representatives of the Islamic Republic of Iran are asking for compensation for the damage done during the last five month military conflict started because they will not have a nuclear weapon, even though it was never mentioned in any of our negotiations or meetings. And here is Trump again. It is an interesting idea because now I am likewise demanding compensation from Iran for all of the people that they have killed and gravely wounded with their roadside bombs in many conflicts for which they are famous as led initially by General Solomani, including the families of those killed on the USS coal and thousands of others killed in combat. Additional compensation should be paid to the families of the hundreds of thousands of innocent protesters that Iran has killed over the last fifty years, not to mention the fifty two thousand that have been killed in the last five months. Trump continuing, I have instructed my representatives to put this firmly into any and all future negotiations. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Good for you, mister President. Don't let these Iranians get away with anything on this front. The idea that after fifty years of Iran waging war against Western civilization, trying to obtain a nuclear weapon, killing and maiming thousands of people, their role in destabilizing the Middle East, their role in funding and training and equipping Hamas and the hoothy rebels, and on and on and on Hezbola, and they want compation.
Speaker 1: Outrageous. I don't know how it's going to end.
Speaker 2: Sounds like President Trump says, compensation not on my watch. All right, I want to talk about a movie.
Speaker 1: That's coming out. You're gonna want to see this.
Speaker 2: By the way, Just two weeks before his tragic assassination on September tenth, twenty twenty five, were coming up on the year anniversary, Conservative leader and our friend Charlie Kirk sat down for one of his final interviews to wrestle with a timeless question, does God still Speak Today? That conversation became the foundation for a powerful and provocative new documentary called Can You Hear Me Now? That explores prophecy, faith, scripture history, and the role that believers are called to play in our culture today. The director is Matthew Thayer. It examines evidence and it weighs today's most prominent prophetic voices against scripture history and political and scientific scrutiny. The film invites you to examine the evidence and to consider the Biblical foundations and reflect on what it means for our culture. So you can pre order this film Can You Hear Me Now at Salemnow dot com or visit can you Hear Me nowfilm dot com. I suggest you check it out about our friend Charlie Kirk. Senator Jim Banks is next stay.
Speaker 13: With us saving Western civilization One busted leftist narrative at a time.
Speaker 9: It's the Scott Jennings Show.
Speaker 2: While I was over at ABC News on Sunday morning carrying the flag for all of you, my next guest was over on NBC at Meet the Press and gave a terrific answer when asked about why the Iran war is so important.
Speaker 1: Let's hear that cut three.
Speaker 13: I do not want my kids to grow up in a world where Iran has a nuclear weapon that will be pointed directly at the United States of America, at our trips abroad, at our allies, and President Trump is the first president of forty seven years who's had the guts to stand up to the regime there and tell them that they're not going to get away with it. There's been lots of good news of what's happened the greatest military and the world. As an Afghanistan veteran myself, watching what our military has accomplished wiping out eighty five percent of Iron's ballistic missiles and making sure that they can never achieve their ultimate goal to have that nuclear weapon, that's all good news.
Speaker 2: That voice you're hearing there on Meet the Press is Our next guest is Senator Jim Banks from the great State of Indiana. He joins US live from Fort Wayne today. Senator, thanks for coming back here on the Scott Jennings Show. I thought you gave a great, force full answer. I thought Senator Sheihi from Montana gave a great floor speech the other day. We've had some I think you guys in the Republican Conference there have been giving very forceful and unsubtle, straightforward analysis of why this fight against Iran is necessary. And you're doing it in the face of Democrats who seem to be cheerleading American defeat or cheerleading for the IRGC.
Speaker 1: Talk to us about that right now.
Speaker 2: It's kind of shocking to me where Democrats and media have come down rooting against the US military.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Scott's a great point, because every single Democrat in the Senate has voted to tie President Trump's hands from blocking Iran from ever having a nuclear weapon. If you think about what that means, if Iran had a nuclear weapon, as I said on Meet the Press, it would be pointed directly at US, it would be pointed at Israel, it would be pointed at our bases and our troops around the world. And every Democrat in Congress wants to stop President Trump from doing something that is so important for the future of not just our country but the whole world, and blocking the Iranians from getting that nuclear weapon. So, to me, it's common sense, but to the Democrats is not. They hate President Trump so much that they're willing to block him from doing something that's good for America from the and for the world. They're also blocking the NDAA. We've never seen this very bipartisan bill run into as many problems. Is what it is. The NDAA is all about supporting our military and our troops in so many ways. They're blocking defense funding in the Supplemental and the Reconciliation bills. They don't want to pass any plus up for defense funding, even though all of the branches of the military are the ones who are at It's not President Trump, it's the Navy, the Army, the Air Force, the Marines coming to us and saying we need more money to support our troops and to advance our military capabilities, to make sure that the United States of America is never in a fair fight, but that we always have the strategic edge in any war or conflict that we're part of. And the Democrats are all against it. I mean, that's how crazy these Democrats have become. That's on full display for the for all of America to see at this point, how radical, how out of touch they are, how extreme they are. We can't let them get away with.
Speaker 1: That, you know.
Speaker 2: I see connection between those votes and those policy positions that you just laid out that's happening in Congress today. I see connection between that and these Democrats Socialists for America candidates because part of Their platform is to defund and abolish the Department of Defense. They don't want any national defense for the United States of America. Basically, what you're laying out, though, is that democrats in Congress are already moving us in that direction, and the more of these democratic socialists that get elected, that's where we're going to head. People like Abdul Lsied just to the north of you there in Michigan.
Speaker 1: I have no doubt.
Speaker 2: I have no doubt he will take this a step further if he goes to the United States Senate. What do you think about that as a vector for the fall campaign? People, I think don't realize just how radical these socialist Democrats have become on something very basic, something very fundamental, like national security, national defense.
Speaker 7: It's so true.
Speaker 13: El Sayed in Michigan campaigned with a guy named Hussan Piker, who's a loud left wing socialist podcaster and voice who said that America deserved nine to eleven, and El Sayed campaigned with them, and on Meet the Press yesterday right before I spoke that you that you carried a minute ago, the host asked Abdul l Sayed, do you do you denounce this? Do you think that America deserved nine to eleven, and he refused to separate himself from Hussan Piker. I mean, that's that's really to me, that's really crazy. It's really dangerous that Democrats could become that extreme, that they would associate with with anti American voices like that. The said America deserved nine to eleven. He also was asked about the military funding and he said, we need less funding for the military and more funding for Medicare for all government run healthcare. I mean, Mike Rogers, the Republican ring in Michigan is an Army veteran, and l saied the Democrat wants to defund the army. I mean, that's that's a pretty stark difference that you see in that race. This upcoming week in Wisconsin, the candidate who is expected to win the Democrat primary for governor in Wisconsin is anti Thanksgiving. She hates the Thanksgiving holiday because of because of its American roots and what Thanksgiving means to our country. They hate it because it's what's good about America and about our founding and our founding principles and a time of Thanksgiving. And she hates Thanksgiving. I mean that this is not just any more about a difference in political opinions or political positions with the socialist taking over the Democrat Party. This is about our system of government and our way of life in America. And they many of these voices on the socialists left hate America and they want to destroy They want a revolution in America. They want to abolish prisons and defund the police, and they want a revolution in America to change America. And that's what that's what's at stake in this midterm election. I mean that that's why the upcoming midterm is so important. We can't let candidates like that win.
Speaker 2: If you and I sat down with a typewriter and we're tasked with writing a comedy for Hollywood, Like, what's the funniest or craziest, zaniest comedy you could write about American politics. We might write a character who was running on the platform of eliminating Thanksgiving. And you might think, well, that's that's even too crazy for Hollywood. It's literally happening over in Wisconsin. It's it's I mean, I think people hear this stuff sometimes, Senator and then they go, oh, that's how could anybody possibly be for getting rid of Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, what's crazy. They say it out.
Speaker 2: Loud, they put it on their website, they make videos, and they're just very open about it.
Speaker 1: And it's not it's not made up. It's real life.
Speaker 2: And these are the people who are going to hold, if they win, real positions of authority in our country. And it's you know, the mint terms. Look, I think Mike Rodgers has an excellent chance to win. We got a lot of these candidates around the country. But this is all leading up, I think, to an epic battle in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: It's a clash of world views.
Speaker 2: It's a clash of civilizations, and you're either going to be for the West or you're going to be for this third worldism that they stand for. That's the clash that's coming. Whether they nominate AOC or Kamala Harris, that's what those people are going to stand for. And I think you're going to see former Democrats across this country say this is way a bridge, way too far for me. I assume you hear from some old Democrats in Indiana who say, I don't even recognize this party anymore.
Speaker 13: For sure, you hear it every day. This is not my Grandpa's Democrat party. But in Michigan. Go back to Michigan for a moment. The former press secretary to Jill Biden when she was the first Lady, just came out and endorsed Mike Rodgers and said I can he said, I cannot support El Sayed. And then and he also and and also other Democrat voices. Uh uh have call Julian Epstein, a well known Democrat voice in Washington, d C. He came out and said he endorsed Mike Rogers over El Sayed. And he said the Democrats have lost their moral authority by nominating someone like El Sayed. And then Tom Swazi, a more moderate Democrat congressman in New York. Just a couple of weeks ago, he and a couple of other more more moderate leaning Democrats came out with a with a new pledge that they circulated among their colleagues in the House. And the pledge was this, we are Democrats, we support capitalism, we do not support socialism. That Scott, I kid you not. That was their pledge. They circulated it and only got six members of the on the Democrat side in Congress. I mean that it is unbelievable. But this is this socialist infection of the Democrat Party by the DSA wing, the communist wing of the Democrat Party. They have taken over. And you're right when AOC is leading the Democrats in the twenty twenty eight presidential race against JD Vance leading it on our side, it's going to be an epic battle between two totally fundamentally different worldviews about what America is, is America good or not? And where America is going? And that's going to be on full display in twenty twenty eight, but it's on full display in this midterm election in twenty twenty six as well.
Speaker 2: Senator Jim Banks of Indiana is our special guest today. Senator, you've been on top of this issue of birthright citizenship. You have a bill called the Citizenship Act that would codify President Trump's executive orders and end birthright citizenship for the children of birth tourists. The President just made this announcement the other day. I think the Supreme Court got it wrong on his initial executive order, but he's come back. Talk to us about your legislation, the President's new executive orders, and the real problem, the real scandal of birth tourism. This is way out of control. I think most people don't know about it, but you've been on top of it. Tell us about it.
Speaker 13: Two hundred and fifty thousand babies of illegals are granted birthright citizenship in America every year, and that's wrong. It's not fair. They're immediately eligible for welfare. They become voters in eighteen years when they turn that age. It's not I don't think our founders, I don't think anybody ever intended for illegals to flood our country and have babies, and those babies become immediately American citizens. Then the Supreme Court decision I think was the worst Supreme Court decision of my lifetime. It was it struck down President Trump's executive order, the first one to ban birthright citizenship. But in the Supreme Court decision, this is important because Justice Kavanaugh was on the wrong side of the decision. But in his in his opinion, he wrote that if Congress declared an invasion, and and and and named these illegals as invaders, their babies would not be eligible for birthright citizenships. So he took it. He gave us a bit of a hint in his opinion, and that's what my that's what I want to do. Citizenship Act. Okay, that's great because in the past, in the past we've named pirates, Nazi spies, terrorists as invaders. Well, that's a drop in the bucket to the tens of millions of illegals in our country having babies. So and President Trump last week signed more executive orders to do this as well that I think will meet constitutional muscles. Congress can pass my bill and make it permanent.
Speaker 2: Well, you've got the right idea, you're on the right track, and you're obviously doing it in a way that'll pass constitutional muster with this Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: We salute you for that.
Speaker 2: Senator Jim Banks, one of the greatest members of the Senate Republican Conference, Thanks for joining us today. We got to take a break. We'll round out the show right after this. Scott Jennings on Salem.
Speaker 1: Stay with us, common sense for the American people.
Speaker 7: This is the Scott Jenny Show.
Speaker 2: You know, Hollywood Sean, I love that show, The Dukes of Hazzard, watch it with my grandparents. Every character on that show was just terrific. And I was thumbing through the clippings this morning and noted that one of the actors from that show.
Speaker 1: Has passed away.
Speaker 2: His name was Ben Jones, and you probably remember him as Cooder the Mechanic. He died at the age of eighty four. He had a heart attack. According to his wife, he had a crazy life. He had and he talked about this, two decades of alcoholism.
Speaker 1: He had three divorces.
Speaker 2: He had been arrested numerous times and thrown in jail, all before he got cast as Cooter Devenport on the Dukes of Hazard Cut nine.
Speaker 9: The Jew's over there Done switched the jugs to shine water.
Speaker 1: Cooter he was.
Speaker 2: He was a funny character. He was always fixing the general lee on the show. But anyway, after Cooter left the show, he was very popular and he gets recruited in nineteen eighty six by the Democratic Party to run for Congress in Georgia. There was a young Republican incumbent there, Pat Swindell was his name. So the Democrats go out and they get Cooter and he discloses his past asked and anyway, the whole Cooter Ben Jones' story becomes basically an asset. I mean, you'd think, like if you'd had all these problems. Maybe voters wouldn't like it, but he was upfront about it and talked about it, and anyway, they trusted Cooter. He did not win. It was close, he did not win. But what happened He ran again two years later and Pat Swindell actually wound up being indicted on multiple charges of lying to a grand jury before the election. It was a really negative campaign and Couter won the second time around, and he wound up serving two terms in Congress. Then he lost his seat in redistricting. But then he came back and tried to take out Newt Gingrich down in Georgia. After that that was not successful. Then he moved to Virginia and he tried to take out Eric Canter. That did not work. So you know, he tried to come back a couple of times. But then after all that didn't pan out. Cooter wound up opening a museum in Virginia devoted to the Dukes of Hazzard. So rip to an American original. Ben Jones aka Cooter Devenport from the Dukes of Hazzard.
Speaker 1: He's dead at the age of eighty four.
Speaker 2: Another story I caught over the weekend that is just too good not to bring to you a golden retriever. And this, by the way, comes from CBS News, and this is a great story for a network to cover. A golden retriever named Barley was having seizures and his family ultimately fixed it by getting him a friend, a duck cut six.
Speaker 1: A friendship built pack by pack.
Speaker 6: She started smiling again, She started wagging her tail, She started having personality again.
Speaker 8: Today the two remain virtually inseparable. Louis pecks at Barley. Barley Chase's Louis. They wrestle and relax together.
Speaker 2: Look, a lot of political stories out there, a lot of stories that are like, this person's mad at that person. This is bad, that's bad, this is negative. We're ripping each other apart. And CBS News goes out and finds the story of a golden retriever who was basically depressed and gets cheered up by a duck, and they have all this amazing video of the duck and the dog playing together.
Speaker 1: Scott Jennings, thanks for listening.