Speaker 1: Life Audio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the Praying Christian Women podcast. I am Alana here with Jamie.
Speaker 1: How are you doing great? I'm feeling really good.
Speaker 3: The voice is back and I'm not so hoarse and feeling good.
Speaker 2: Based on our topic, I'm picturing Glinda in the original Wizard of Oz or like, are you a good witch or are you a bad witch? Which are you feeling like today?
Speaker 3: I'm feeling like, okay, So if I feel like a good witch, does that make me bad? I'm feeling like a bad witch because I'm not into sorcery and witchcraft.
Speaker 2: So it's a trick question. It's like you know, asking somebody are you lying to me or something?
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, okay, hold on, well.
Speaker 2: We are back to talk more about which is witchcraft, what's to be spiritually discerning regarding and I have absolutely seen an increase in what some people would call which he practices. I think you when I would probably call it more just sort of woo woo stuff in mainstream self help and things like that, even in some alternative healing circles. And so I think it's important for us as Christians to recognize we're not talking about people five hundred years ago who went on trial. We're talking about things that impact our lives today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like when I was growing up, kind of in my tween and teen years and then maybe into the Frank Peretti years. I'm not sure when his stuff came out, probably more my teenage young adult years, but Frank Peretti, for those that don't know, we're like this present darkness and like some of the very spiritual warfarey.
Speaker 1: Kind of things.
Speaker 3: And the big antagonist in those books was like the New Age, you know, like New Age was kind of seeping into the preschools and into the community. And the New Age of that era, I feel like was different from what we're seeing now. I don't know if I could put my finger on it, but I just feel like it's it used to be so compartmentalized and different from Christianity, and I believe that today, I think it's seeped in, and I think that Christianity has adopted some kind of just I don't know, like absorbed some of the New agey kind of language and beliefs. And at the same time, as the more I learn about some of the language that's used in some of the New age circles that have nothing to do with Jesus, I can actually glean biblical you know, we've talked about this, We've had all kinds of conversations about manifesting and you know, energy and frequencies and different things.
Speaker 1: This language that's being used, and I.
Speaker 3: Believe that there are just like there is with everything, there are elements of truth in some of these things that can be parallel to what we see in the Bible. But it's getting muddied, and I think we need to talk about it so we can tease out what is biblical, what is evil, and what is just kind of somewhere in between.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. There's a phrase that a Christian psychologist kind of early pioneer coined. I think it's Larry to Krap who coined it. He called it plundering the Egyptians. And so when the Israelites are fleeing Egypt, the Egyptians are giving them like they're jewels and they're giving them gifts, basically being like, tell your God to stop destroying our nation. And his use of the phrase plundering the Egyptians was let's take what we can from secular science and secular practice and use it if it works in the church, right, Like, just because the person who created a tool that's you to build the physical building that your church works and wasn't a Christian doesn't mean that you're wrong to use that tool right to physically build your church. And sometimes we, or at least in certain circles, are like, well, if it's not right from the Bible, or if the person who spearheaded this philosophy was not a Christian whose theology lines up with everything I believe, then the foundation's faulty, and therefore we've got to throw it all out. And I would wager that there are some times where, yes, if the foundation is that faulty, maybe you do.
Speaker 1: Throw it all out. Right.
Speaker 2: That's why in our last episode, a lot of Christians in our family, for a good chunk of when our kids were very young, like we had as little to do with Halloween as we possibly could. And for people who didn't listen to the last week's episode, I'm also not stating that that is how every Christian family should react to the holiday. They were going to be talking about all this kind of stuff and basically learning what do you keep, what do you throw out? What is so tainted that you've just got to get rid of it. And what maybe has a little negative truth in it that you can easily sift out from all the other junk. But what is so corrupted by what it's enthrouded in that we don't even want to touch it.
Speaker 3: One of the spinoff topics that I think we're going to focus on a lot today from Witchcraft is looking for signs. We touched on Gideon asking laying out the fleece, which is, well, we'll go into that a little bit if you haven't heard of that. That is basically him saying, God, you told me something. I want to know if this is really what's going to happen, And he laid out this fleece and asked for kind of a miracle to prove it. Tea leaves were mentioned, so, you know, looking for signs. There's so much the language today, there's so much of this the universe sent me a sign, or I just love it when when the universe drops me signs. But a parallel language could be, hey, I love it when God sends me a godwink or a sign. You know, So what is it? What is correct? How do we think about these things? So I'm going to start off, you know, we're going to be talking about like signs and things like reading the tea leaves, and I'm just going to give us a couple of verses that lay the foundation for these practices and just kind of go through and talk through them. So Deuteronomy eighteen ten ten through twelve says, let no one be found among you who practice practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord. And then Leviticus nineteen twenty six, do not practice divination or seat omens. So, you know, we kind of talked a little bit about this before, but like these practices were kind of, I don't know, the people of Israel were surrounded on all sides by paganism, like the Canaanites, the Philistines, like they had not only pagan beliefs, but some of them like overtly evil and you know, yeah, like burning their kids to sacrifice to these gods. And so the words that are used here's it's pretty much looking for signs that help you make a decision, but not just asking God, but looking to other means like trying to take a shortcut. I'm convinced that the reasons that he gave these commands not to do these things were because there were spiritual forces that were not God, that there were dark forces that could their way into any open door that people gave them.
Speaker 1: And or, on the other hand, if.
Speaker 3: They just left themselves open to whatever sign, like hey let it be sunny tomorrow. If I'm supposed to marry this person, that's not seeking God's guidance, that's just leaving it to chance. So I think there are two different things at work, either just superstition leading to chance or actually opening yourself up to a dark force, whether it's a spear guide, whether it's an influencer in determining an outcome based on one of these things.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think it's similar to the spectrum that we talked about earlier about like fortune cookie to like Chinsey horoscope to fortune telling to whatever goes even beyond that, you know, seance or something. And I think in a lot of these questions there is something that does begin with something innocuous like flipping a coin. To me, I'm not inviting the devil into my soul. If I'm like, do I want an apple or an orange, and I can't decide, so I flip a coin.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Is that one hundred and eighty degrees different than casting lots? I see them as on a similar spectrum at the very least. Right, So, if we have flipping a coin to make a decision as being in almost every case, can you think of a case for flipping a coin would actually be spiritually dangerous? Like it might not be the wisest right, I'm gonna flip a coin to determine if I'm gonna, you know, marry this guy. Not a wise choice. But do you think it's it's ever could open you up to spiritually being manipulated?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think if you go into it, I mean I think your heart condition, your intention going into something is definitely a good litmus test, Like am I going into this? That's a bad example, because you can have good intentions and still have a bad outcome. For instance, let's say I was really tempted to literally when we were making the decision whether or not to allow our then sixth grader go back to public school in middle school or keep him homeschooled. It was one of the most like grueling decisions of our parenting, and we kept coming back different and we were like, God give us unity, and I was both of us were like, should we just flip a coin? Honestly?
Speaker 1: Should we just say God help us?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: And I think I use the word casting lots. Should we just cast lots and see if God does that? And I do think that when you try to take a shortcut from hearing from God in a genuine way, that it could open you up to potential evil inserting itself.
Speaker 2: I could absolutely agree with you on that, you know, especially like I'm taking it to a comical extreme and I'm picturing you and Matt like with a six sided Monopoly game die and like taking five minutes to pray over this die and you know, and then you know, doing some kind of ritual before you roll it. Like to me, yeah, that that's actually that doesn't pass my spiritual debt check.
Speaker 3: But this kind of brings us to Gideon's fleece because Gideon did this, So why don't we just go ahead and read about that? Because this is one of the most like confusing things, you know in some ways, because it is it seems to kind of go against this idea. So Gideon in Judges chapter six, verses thirty six through forty in the NIV, Gideon said to God, if you will save Israel by my hand, as you have promised, so this is the first thing. Apparently God had already told Gideon in that and I didn't go back to see the way that God told him. But Gideon is saying, you've already said that you're going to save Israel by my hand. I'm not sure. I really, really really want to be sure that I heard you right. I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I'll know that you will save Israel by my hand as you said. And that is what happened. Gideon rose early in the next day. He squeezed the fleece, wrung out the dew a bowlful of water, so we're not talking like a dusting. Then Gideon said to God, don't be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece, but this time, make the fleece dry and the ground be covered with dew. That night, God did so. Only the fleece was dry, all the ground was covered with dew. So this is Gideon heard from God. He's trying to confirm it, and he asks this insane thing, and he says, don't be angry with me the second time he does it, which is implying that he knows that he's kind of testing God. And so I mean, I have to come away from this like if I were to do this exact thing, if Matt and I had just said, all right, we're going to do exactly what Gideon did.
Speaker 1: We're literally going to lay this.
Speaker 3: You know, I killed a sheep last hunting season and we have this piece of wool. We're literally going to reproduce this.
Speaker 2: Could you just shear the sheep so a little baby sheep doesn't have to die?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Well, it wasn't. It wasn't a baby. It wasn't.
Speaker 3: It was very It was an old sheep, but it died of natural causes. We simply okay, no, But I have to say, and maybe I don't believe that the miracle would have happened.
Speaker 1: I just don't.
Speaker 3: And maybe I'm woman of little faith, but I really think that if we had said we think, let's say that we had some kind of because so he's not trying to make a decision first of all, one way or another, yes or no. He's saying, I think I heard from you, confirm it this way. But even if we had made a decision like, Okay, we think Joey's gonna stay home and do homeschool for another year. If we're right, if we think we heard from you, right, do this exact thing. I have to tell you. I don't think that the next day I would go outside and be able to squeeze a bowlful of water out of that skin and the rest of the grass beat totally fine.
Speaker 1: Or you know right?
Speaker 3: So then what if you say, I think I know what you're saying, and you test God and it doesn't get confirmed, what do you do?
Speaker 2: Then there's a hard one because I think in the scenarrey you you're presenting, it kind of makes the fleece the magic yeah, and less about God. Now. I think that sometimes I've heard different interpretations of Gideon in his fleece. I don't see anything that leads us to believe that Gideon was wrong for doing what he did. Right now, he was afraid that God would be mad, but it never says that God was even close to getting mad at him.
Speaker 3: No, it reminds me of Thomas when he asked Jesus. It reminds me exactly of that story where he could have said, as he did many times, you of little faith, and shook his head.
Speaker 1: But he didn't. He was just like, hey, didn't, come on, I'm gonna show you.
Speaker 2: And it reminders are so hard on Thomas, and it always irks me exactly like you said, Jesus does not chide him. Jesus presents to him the proof that he said he needed. And I think about the Brian church in Acts and when they're presented with the Gospel, they are applauded for going back and seeing if what they heard is true. In scripture, Gideon did not have the Bible to like the full Bible to read and to say Gideon will go and defeat the Midianites. So we have three options, and the Bible doesn't tell us which. Either Gideon had very little faith and God was getting angry with him but put up with his demands for a sign, or Gideon was actually really wise to test this crazy notion and make sure that it wasn't coming from his own delusions of brand ear and God was he was doing exactly what God wanted to have his will confirmed, or maybe somewhere in the middle, maybe it was just kind of a neutral thing. God was like, oh, yeah, sure, if you need another sign, here you go, and like there's no emotion attached to it whatsoever. You know. It's like when your kid asks you for a cup of water and you're like, okay, here you go, you know, And that's literally all there is to it. Now, we can't read all of that into it. We don't know that God was getting tired of Gideon's lack of faith. We don't know that Gideon was doing something wrong. We don't know that maybe Gideon was doing exactly the right thing to be wise and to test the verse that you always love to go back to, don't treat prophecy with contempt, test everything in a way. That's exactly what Gideon's doing. He's not discarding the prophecy that God gave him that he would defeat the mini Nites, but he's also testing it. So literally, I don't think we have enough information to know if Gideon was doing the right thing or the wrong thing, or somewhere in the middle. Now here's another really interesting thing, because if I'm in your scenario about the homeschool question, and I truly do want to sign, I wouldn't pick a police I would pick something like I've done this before. If I'm supposed to go to fred Meyer before I go home, let this light be green, you know what I mean. And here's the thing. I think that sometimes we attribute Holy Spirit, Big D discernment to things that are just our subconscious talking to us. So by that, what I mean is I think it's wrong to attribute it to God, but I don't think it's wrong to test what's in your subconscience. Let's say I am trying to decide do I want to fly down to Utah and see Jamie, And in my brain, I'm like, here's all the pros, here's all the cons I've prayed about it. God hasn't given me a green light or a red light. So I decide that I am going to put out a fleece, my fleece just because I know me, and I'm going to be very honest and transparent with you my fleece.
Speaker 1: Even if I.
Speaker 2: Went into it with a open mind and the best of intentions as possible would be something that would be more likely to happen than not if I was meant to go visit you, because I know that I want to go visit you. Yeah, to me, that's not bad, that's not evil. The only danger is if I attribute it to God. But really it's just my desire talking to me. But like, for people who can't make a decision, were you Are you even the one who told me this trick? If you can't make a decision and you just flip a coin, not to decide, but to see how you feel.
Speaker 1: No, you told me that I told you that you did? You did?
Speaker 3: You told me that we were talking about it in an episode, And that is one of my favorite things I've taught all my kids that I'm like, if you can't make a decision and you're not feeling guided in any way.
Speaker 1: Flip a coin.
Speaker 3: And I'm not about huge things necessarily, but maybe for big things, but flip a coin. See how you feel about that. Are you disappointed? And that might reveal what really is the best thing to do? Are you excited? Are you thankful?
Speaker 1: And so? Our daughter's very indecisive.
Speaker 3: She loves to you know, she loves to ask other people what she should do, and I'm like, you have to make that decision yourself. But I told her that this is a really good way to help reveal what you truly want. And I think the reason she has a hard time is she's a people pleaser and she's always anticipating, well, what if I do this, will this person mind? If I do this, will this person mind? I think it helps us get in tune with what's inside of us and how we really feel about something. And maybe again, that's good what the Holy Spirit is saying to us. Maybe it's helping us get in tune with that still small voice in a.
Speaker 4: Way, maybe where I would differ because I think in that case, there's still small voice is your will.
Speaker 1: And I don't think it's wrong to talk.
Speaker 2: I think all of us need to.
Speaker 1: Tap into our will.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially as women and especially as people. Please, we are taughts to not listen. But I think that often the still small voice that we are learning to listen to is really just our own and that's okay too, right. So again, if we're talking about little things, should I go to the mall with this friend or should I go to the movies with that friend? And she feels like either way, someone's going to be let down. And she says, Okay, I'm gonna flip a coin.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing.
Speaker 2: The coin is not going to tell her which to choose.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's part.
Speaker 3: The coin isn't telling you what to choose. It's revealing what you already wanted.
Speaker 2: So basically, the way you do it is just like, Okay, if it's A, I go to the mall.
Speaker 1: If it's B, I go to the movies.
Speaker 2: You flip the coin. If it lands on A and you feel happy, that means you wanted to go to the movie right. If it lands on B and you feel sad, that means you should go to the movie right or whichever. I forget which one was, as I know, but yeah, no, we get it. So we're not attributing any magical power to the coin. I think that it's important to not attribute divine power to that voice. I don't think that's the voice of God. I think that's just us, especially as women, who have a hard time knowing what we want, learning how to ask ourselves what do I want? You know, like it sounds really silly, but sometimes like ask your stomach or ask your tongue, what do you want to eat right now? Like, and take a minute to listen. You're not praying to God right like. I think it's actually dangerous to attribute like holy spirit power to this. I think it's just a good practice to learn how to voice what you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that is kind of what it boils down to, is if you're looking for signs, if you're looking for who you're attributing it to. In terms of the coin flipping, now, omens are kind of another thing. I think so omens are more like things like you know, the if the crow flies over your head, someone's gonna die, or if you hear an al hooting three times, then.
Speaker 2: Things that are meant to be bad lack or that kind of.
Speaker 3: Thing right or impending doom. So again, I feel like I just have to go back. And you know, Israel was not meant to seek guidance, well we go to war or not. You know, well I saw a crow fly by, and so yes, we should go to war because that's a sign, or seeking advice from the dead, trying to communicate with with with spirits of those who have passed, or ancestors for wisdom and I go back to Israel was surrounded by pagan nations, and I don't doubt that some of those, you know, like Bail and you know, these these different pagan gods, I don't doubt that there were principalities behind them, evil spirits and all of these things, the omens, the magic, the necromancy, the medium ship, is all opening doors for evil to influence the actions of God's people.
Speaker 1: And and so.
Speaker 3: I really think that a lot of this protective measure was to protect evil from masquerading as truth and good and leading people astray. And if we take that concept and we PLoP it into today, it's a very similar thing. It's like, where are you opening yourself up for evil to masquerade as truth to guide you and help you make decisions or help you gain knowledge or wisdom about how the world works. And like you alluded to earlier, it all boils down to God's word in our hands. We have God's word in our hands, and we have the Holy Spirit living in us, which Gideon didn't have. He had the Holy Spirit would alight here and there and help people and talk to people, but he didn't have the Holy Spirit living in him. And so between that and God's word in our hands. We have everything we need, presumably to receive guidance from God. It doesn't mean that it's straightforward. It doesn't mean that we can't make mistakes even hearing from God or in interpreting his word, because we could use the Bible like a Ouiji board if we wanted.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure.
Speaker 2: And I think people do that fairly regularly. Yeah, so there's that, Well you're ready for a can of worms.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the Israelites didn't go to war because they saw a crow fly, but they cast lots, right, And that's when, like, if my kid came to me it was like, what's that about, I'd be like that, that's where we need our little soundboard button.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right it is.
Speaker 3: And the next question, please write and the Urim and thummim like on the those were stones that alleged sounds very superstitious.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I think if if we went the easy Sunday school answer, I think you already hit it, and that is we have the Bible now and so there is not a need for extra biblical casting of lots or that kind of thing. I think the deepest answer is probably way more complicated than I wouldn't even know where to begin. Here's another way to look at it. I don't really think that this is This is not my opinion, but I could see some people explaining it like this. There's a verse in Proverbs that says something like the lot is cast into the lap, but it's every decision is from the Lord. And there's this idea of if you're casting lots superstitiously, God can still meet you, just like if you're playing Bible roulette right where you're trying to make an important decision. So you just open up the Bible and throw your finger on a verse and it's not what the Bible was meant for. But that doesn't mean and it's not something that I would advise somebody to do. It also doesn't mean that somebody who does it superstitiously can't be met by God in that way. So maybe it's almost a picture of God meeting us where we are.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think that hits the nail on the head.
Speaker 3: I think the story of Gideon and the Fleece is about God meeting us where we are.
Speaker 1: I think I agree.
Speaker 3: I think when we are setting ourselves up with like a mindset and just living our lives in submission to God's will that we will find it. And I think these conversations are important, Like you know, if casting lots happened biblically, if the urim and thummin were used somehow for yes or nos, I mean I know that those in particular were handed down by God.
Speaker 1: It was this is what you'll do exactly.
Speaker 3: God did not hand me a set of marbles and say shake them up, and whicheverone, like you know, falls into the middle is the one that.
Speaker 1: So I think we need to separate those things.
Speaker 3: We also need to remember that not everything in the Bible is supposed to be repeated. It's an illustration of God meeting Gideon where he was. It's not an instruction manual for Oh, he had that outcome, So I need to do the same thing. And I just think we do need to hold those two things a Let's live our lives in submission to God in an earnest desire. And I think that probably had something to do with Gideon's situation, was he just desperately wanted to know what God wanted from him, and he really wanted to make sure he was hearing God right, and God honored that and blessed it. It doesn't mean he's going to do it for someone else in a separate circumstance. But on the other hand, I think we do need to absolutely guard against any doorway for evil influences, which are absolutely real. There's a spiritual battle. There are evil forces out there that can in this world, and they can manipulate physical things, presumably, I don't know for sure, but we need to make sure not to open ourselves up to anything that could, you know, allow the enemy to get a foothold. So beyond that, I think there's a lot of discernment individually that has to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that's a great closing point. So I don't have a blessing in front of you, so I am just going to come up with one off the top of my head. And my hope and prayer for everybody listening is that God will meet you exactly where you are, that you will give you the guidance and the words that you need in exactly the way that makes sense to you, in the language that makes sense to you, and that you will be very confident knowing that it is His voice. And I also hope and pray that we all learn to listen to our own small voice and also have the wisdom to know which is our voice and which is God's voice, and that those wouldn't be at war with each other, but it would work together beautifully in guiding us.
Speaker 1: Amen. Amen.
Speaker 3: We'd like to take just a quick second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. If you go to lifeaudio dot com, you will find dozens of other faith centered podcasts in their network.
Speaker 1: They've got shows about.
Speaker 3: Prayer, Bible study, parenting, and so much more. That's lifeaudio dot com.