Speaker 1: On today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: We found the cassette that answers the question when was my first happiness hour? This is from January nineteen ninety nine. The first Happy.
Speaker 1: Hour's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager, and it starts right now. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures courses in classic radio programs had to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. Go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 2: It's heppy, happy, happy, happy, Yes it is. Hey, everybody, it's very special what I have on tap today. I'll explain in a moment. But first, but first, but first, but first, remember, folks come, hell of high water, blood, frogs, life, fermin whatever. We have the Happiness Hour on Dennis Prager's show, because the happy make the world better and the unhappy make it worse. Now, everybody, I'm listening, Yes it is. We've got video up there of families dancing to this stuff. We've got everything and if you sing along, video it and we'll put it up too. But it's a very serious subject. Actually, happiness is why I title my book on it. Happiness is a serious problem. It certainly is. Life is tough for the vast majority of human beings, and it's extremely tough for a lot. I don't know, well, I do know, actually I know. I think I know one person for whom life has been relatively easy. But I'll I will keep that name an odous this time. But over it's not me, by the way, it is not me. I would if it were me, by the way, if I had an easy life, we wouldn't have to have an happiness hour. I would not written a book, certainly not a book titled happiness is a serious problem. So what's special about today? After a great deal of searching, and we have I've recorded most of my shows for twenty nine years. We have thousands upon thousands of cassette tapes and then digital and we're eventually going to digitize. Thanks to another great man in Nebraska and one great one in California found it, Alan Breeze, and we found the cassette that answers the question when was my first happiness hour? And it was January what twenty ninth, nineteen ninety nine. So here it is now obviously that you don't hear the theme song there wasn't chosen yet, So here is the actual And by the way, this is the first time, well it's the second time I'm hearing the first few minutes. I have not heard this. This is as new to me as it is to you, unless you heard it that day, and remember it. I didn't. I don't. This is from January nineteen ninety nine, the first Happy Hour pil Ladies and gentlemen. The music introduces a new dimension to the Dennis Prager program Happy Hour on the Dennis Prager Show. It's a fun theme that it has occurred to me that some of you think that all I care about is good and evil, right and wrong, truth and lies, clarity and non clarity, and you don't know the other sides of me, and I feel cheated and cheating you now here. I spend ten years writing a book on happiness, and I never even talk about the subject on this show. And that's crazy. So, folks, welcome to the Happy Hour. By the way, we remained it Happiness Hour over the time, over the course of time. Go ahead, we won't do it again. I love that lot. If it fails, we won't do it again. I had no idea how this would go over. I remember my thinking, and I really I remember it vividly. Maybe people will think this is unbelievably superficial. People might think that what is this doing on a serious talk show. Nobody else does anything even remotely like it. This is not your field, Dennis. You know me. If some psychologist wants to go on radio and talk about happiness, that's fine. I also had this in my mind that happiness is a selfish pursuit. So here I am a guy who wants a more decent and moral world. Why am I spending an hour every week on something that's just selfish? You have no idea, you really don't. How much went on in my mind against having this idea, this to come to fruition of a of a what I call then happy hour but now happiness hour. And when I just said, can you just possibly move back twenty seconds, when I said, if this doesn't work out, you know, we'll just drop it, I was thinking aloud, here here we go again, welcome to the happy hour. And if this fails, we won't do it again. It's as simple as that. But I uh, I'd like to share with you on this hour and have you ask and comment on your own happiness issues the problem being happy. By the way, does anybody know what this music is? Anybody know? Well? Yeah, West SoundHound, But with the talking over it deflect, I'd be very curious to try it out. All right, continue happy, Maybe a listener does. So today I'm going to talk to you. I'm going to open up with one of the ideas that I could bring to your attention. You know, one of the reasons a lot of people are unhappy. Why because they think that everybody else is happier than they are. Good point, which is pretty disgusting when you think about it. Oh, I get miserable thinking about all the happy people around, ladies and gentlemen. May I tell you how we sabotage our happiness in life? Well, be do in many ways, but let me just tell you one right now. We compare ourselves to people we are sure are happier than we are, and then we get miserable. I can give you example after example of this. I uh, oh, you do it all the time. Do you compare your happiness to people you think are less happy? Nope, you compare yourself to people you think are more happy. And now remember now, remember this is nineteen ninety nine and I had just spend, as you heard, ten years. In fact, it was so long. It took so long for me to write the Happiness Book that I gave the money back to Random House because I didn't have it in on time, actually paid back the advance, and then HarperCollins picked it up. And I've been with HarperCollins since. And my next book is still the last. Best hope is my next book, and that it will be HarperCollins. But that was Remember this is the culmination of massive amounts of both talking in speeches not on radio, and writing. So here we continue, and this is a big one. I'm fascinated that I picked as my first topic. We compare ourselves to people we think are happier than us. I think it's one of the big five that is so human to do. You know, we everybody does it. The guys who are on the Forbes four hundred wealthiest Americans don't compare themselves to the three hundred million Americans poorer than them. They compare themselves to the one hundred and sixty six ahead of them on the Forbes list. That is the way it works, my friends, That is the way it works, we continue, or very rarely are they. Let me give you a great quote. This quote will change your life. It's not for me. It's a woman named Helen tu Lushkin who made this up. But if you memorize this quote, you will immediately be a happier person. If comparing yourself to people you think are happier is part of your misery, and that is this. I will even use a reverberant sound to impact it even greater. The only people I know who are happy are people I don't know. Well, we need a great line, and you said, the only people I know who are happy. The only happy people I know are people I don't know. Well. By the way, folks, that is one of the great lines of world history. And I can say it this. I didn't come up with it. The great late Helen tu Lushkin did. And it's worth putting over your bathroom mirror to see it every day. The only happy people I know are people I don't know. Well. She came out with that spontaneously when I was in high school, and it is amazing. It's stuck with me. You know what sticks with me? Ideas dialogue doesn't. And I paid a big price. Events don't dialogue, but ideas stay with me. And I was in high school when she said it. Her son, Joseph Tulushkin today one of the pre eminent Jewish thinkers and writers and biblical literacy, Jewish literacy, I mean a whole like a dozen books. Anyway, we were in her kitchen. We were talking about kids in our class we thought were happy. She closed the refrigerator door and said, boys, let me tell you something. The only happy people I know are people I don't know well. And it's so true because as soon as you know anybody well, you know how much pain they have in their life. It's if you don't know them well, you don't know. We'll be back one eighth Prager seven seven six.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom. We'll continue right after this.
Speaker 2: Oh you love No, Back to more wisdom. When you're crying, you bring on the rid right, stop your silence? Well to be happy? Then where is smiling? Keep on smiling?
Speaker 3: Smile?
Speaker 2: Turn the wisefoodstorage dot Com studios may emergency meals at the best prices wisefood storage dot Com. I'm Dennis Prager. The Happiness Hour. We unearthed my first Happiness Hour then called happy hour. From let's see it would be twelve almost thirteen, No, twelve and a half years ago. January ninety nine, ninety nine is when my book on happiness came out. It was a gamble, a big gamble. What to you now is a given? Oh Dennis in his happiness Hour? I mean to be honest. That's the first thing most people who meet me in the street or at a speech say, I love your happiness hour, and but you like so much in life. You take a gamble with you flirt with failure in order to have a big success. I had no idea that this would succeed none, And you heard me say, look, if this doesn't work, we don't do it again. I would have been absolutely unsurprised if I didn't get a single call, or if the only calls I got were Dennis, come on, you talk about serious subjects. What is this a happy hour? What are you at a bar? Right? That's the way people associated happy hour. In fact, I used to say happy hour is the only one you don't get anebriated in and you still leave happier. In fact, you do leave happier. So I be curious when you first met The Happiness Hour one eight Praeger seven seven six and what I'm fou I'm listening for the first time. I have not heard any of this. This I purposely didn't want. I want this to be as spontaneous for me as it is for you. And I picked a great subject for the first broadcast on happiness, and that is that we compare ourselves to others that we think are happier than us. Oh, continue about it. Everybody that you know well, you know how much pain and unhappiness they have had in their lives. Right. It's only people you don't know well that you assume have been much freer of pain and unhappiness than you have. But as soon as you get to know people, I'll never forget. This was really a dramatic moment for me. I know this. And by the way, the moment you really know this, the moment you really know this, you'll never be jealous again. And jealousy is one of the greatest obstacles to happiness in the human condition. People are jealous and they get unhappy. Jealousy is totally subversive. But there's nothing to be jealous of. But let me tell you how we could play tricks on ourselves. I am very brain centered, and I know what I'm telling you to be true and I have incorporated into my life. But listen to this. A few years ago, I was on a book tour for the book prior to my book on Happiness, and I was in a I won't say what city, because it's possible it could be traced to. You know, somebody listening could figure it out, and I don't want to betray a confidence. But I was on a major city in the South, major American city. I was on this talk show during the day, and this talk show host was in his thirties, very successful, prime time show. Good looking guy. He has a picture in the studio of his wife and children. She's beautiful, the kids are beautiful. This guy is happy. He's telling me how much he loves living in this city. And I think to myself, which is the way most of us do think, I'm thinking, my God, I think I may have met a guy who has everything well. We continue the interview and then there is of course a commercial break. During the commercial break, we start talking about our mutual love of computers and how we both love the Internet, and he says to me, Dennis, I can't tell you how valuable I find the Internet. And I say, really, me too. He said, well, let me tell you. I type in multiple sclerosis and I have learned so much about that disease. I said, well, why did Why do you concern yourself with multiple sclerosis? Is because my wife has it? And I tell you, I have the chills as I relate that story to you, because I remember thinking, Dennis, you fool. You violated your own knowledge, your own principles of happiness in thinking, well, here's a guy bereft of problems. No one is no one, no one, no one, no one. People, even if they don't have a wife with multiple sclerosis or a child who's ill or something, people have demons. Every single human on earth has demons. Every one of you listening has demons. Something in you that is that that is self destructive, that pushes you into into into arenas that will hurt you. For this one, it's in the area of emotions for this one, in sex for this one, in booze for this one, in drugs for this one, in money for this one, in power, for this one, it's insecurity. For this one, it's in the physical realm. I mean, it's endless, so we compare ourselves to We'll tell you another reason. People compare themselves to others and think others are happier. All around you are images of happy people. Right. Everybody is smiling in ads, everybody is smiling on billboards. Do you ever see a picture of your grandparents. I'll bet you don't have one picture of a smiling grandparent. If you're certainly, if you're my age generation, let me remind you you're listening to what we finally found. The first broadcast of The Happiness Hour January nineteen ninety nine. Can't continue you see any pictures. I was just watching the Civil War on PBS on tape. It's not on PBS now. I bought an on tape series. By the way, let me explain for some of the younger listeners. Prior to Netflix, people used tape to watch movies. It would move across from one spool to another spool. It wasn't that long ago. You actually now you can't use it with me, Sean, It's amazing. The president feels powerful when he enters Air Force one. Sean feels powerful when he puts on the laugh tracks. We continue gotten all these awards, correctly so, deservedly so. And all the pictures from the Civil War, not one person is smiling. And I don't mean wounded soldiers, I mean before they became soldiers, after they got home. Not one person in any picture, not one general, not one private, one civilian, is smiling because it never occurred to them. Why would I smile for a picture? Who walks around smiling? People who walk around smiling all the time are institutionalized, right right, So we walk around thinking these other people are all happier than us, and that makes you more unhappy. This is the happy Hour, a new innovation on my show. Maybe we'll do it third hour Fridays. We'll see how it goes. A lot of you are calling, which is already a semi precious stone, and it's important stuff. I have come to realize how critical happiness is. It took me a long time, my friends. It took me a long time to realize that happiness was not just a selfish psychological pursuit, but a moral obligation. One eighth Prager seven seven six The Happiness Hour.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless wisdom will continue right after this.
Speaker 4: It's so important to make someone happy, Make just one.
Speaker 1: Now come back to more of Dennis Prager's wisdom to you.
Speaker 5: You sing to.
Speaker 4: One, smile to change one, fights one of one.
Speaker 2: Your you're everything too. That's that's what a man wants to be everything to his woman. There was more wisdom in that song than in the entire departments of of women's and gender studies at all of the universities put together. If all you knew was what Jimmy Duranti sang, you could lead a better life than getting a PhD in gender studies or women's studies in terms of interaction with the opposite sex. I say it with no joy, but anyway, that's why we found out breaking university to undo what most universities do. Welcome back to the Happiness Hour and the It's a real special one today because I am playing for you the first Happiness Hour I ever did nineteen ninety nine. Let me take some calls here and it's fun to listen to. That's the reason I have not heard it, so I have no idea what I'm about to say, but I'm pretty much of the same opinion as then. Here is someone who claims to have heard that first show, Michael in Prescott, Arizona. Hi, Michael, Hi, Well.
Speaker 6: I claim, and I actually did hear it.
Speaker 2: How do you know you heard the first?
Speaker 6: I don't know. You've talked about Missus Celushkin and that insight more than once, so you know, as possible, I'm just sort of retrofitting. But I just remember because you're the only person that I had ever heard of until then to talk about happiness and that I went to law school with Michael Josephson, by the way, and I didn't know him, but you know he came on to be prominent.
Speaker 2: In the ethics arena.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And but I had never heard anyone before you talk about that, and I think that's probably I would say that your greatest insight, the idea of that that people compare, no matter what they feel like, they always think somebody else is better off and emotionally, and never heard any And I just nineteen ninety nine. That's not that long ago. I've been listening to you for many more years than that, and so I do remember that program. I was in Fullerton in those days, and so hurt on Caro La or the previous station wherever you were.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you, I'm very touched. Thank you very much. It is a big one, that comparing, and it's in the book, by the way, one of the chapters in the book. Of course, I've done so many shows. How many shows? Does that mean? If I started in January ninety nine? So yeah, figure forty forty five even oh, okay, just for okay, so four hundred and forty four hundred and forty yeah, some even closer to five hundred, yeah, five hundred shows, and I would say that we've had about three hundred topics. So obviously vast numbers of these are not in the Book on Happiness. Let's go to another call here and thank you, Michael. I appreciate that a lot. Let's go to uh, let's stay in Arizona for a moment. Phoenix and Mike. Hello, Mike, Dennis.
Speaker 7: Prager, Hi, Dennis, how are you today?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 7: Thanks, we're calling you doctor Happiness.
Speaker 2: That's nice. I like that title.
Speaker 7: I did hear your first program. Now that i'm hearing it again, I've been listening to you for a long time, and I use some of your teachings on my children. My twenty one year old just got married and when she was twelve, she came to me and said, Daddy, I'm bored. And I said, well, honey, then you must be a boring person. And she goes, that's not very nice, and I said, honey, you can choose to do anything you want. You could read a book, you could call your friends, you could ride ther bike. But you come to me to make you happy. You need to decide this on your own. So she went and she read a book. And then two weeks later, the best part of this whole story, she comes back says Daddy, I'm never mind, and.
Speaker 2: She I love it. I love it. Well, I get credit for that, and I am very, very delighted that my kids stopped I am bored. They gave up on that so fast, just like his daughter, because that would be by Lyne. Then you're boring. There was no excuse for being born in In the world in which we live, you're in solitary confinement or or I don't know, you just collect cow dung all day in medieval Europe. Maybe you have a right to say I'm bored, but there's no right to say that in the world in which we live. In the opportunities that are available to us, take more of your calls, and we'll hear who the first caller ever was to that show. And we come back on the Dennis Prager Happiness Hour.
Speaker 1: This episode of timeless Wisdom. We'll continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: You'll never hear this particular one again. We found the recording of my first Happiness Hour. This is the Happiness Hour the Dennis Praguer Show, every Friday, second hour. I gave it a try twelve years ago, twelve and a half years ago, and even said if this doesn't work, well, we just won't do it again. But it worked. And my first subject was people comparing themselves to others, and we compare ourselves always to those we think are happier than us, who've had a less difficult life, and then makes us even more unhappy. Continue, please, I've come to realize how critical happiness is in people's lives. Cindy in your car, thanks for calling him. You are indeed okay.
Speaker 8: I think this is a great idea good anyway. My comment is that I am a very happy person, and I think that people get turned off when you're you're too happy, and you know, thinking about the story. You just told that when you're looking at someone's life, you know everyone has demons. Well, that's also part of figuring out that nothing's perfect and life isn't perfect, so you have to just make the best of it. And I think also people get turned off with your if you're too unhappy. Whenever someone goes to something, I'm sure you know everyone has had a bad time, right.
Speaker 2: So people have turned off if you're very unhappy or if you're very happy. Well, that's a very good question. In other words, it's easy to turn people off, all right. I was curious to know what the first call would be in it, and now that was the that was? That was it? Cindy, wherever Cindy is. Cindy, if you're listening, love to hear from you. We'll give you some sort of prize. Was Scilla, uh Alaska? And Curtis. Hello, Curtis, Dennis Prager.
Speaker 9: Heh, Dennis, it's very nice to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 9: So what I was telling your the first I just spoke with is that I heard it, oh several years ago that you should be kind to everyone you meet because everyone you meet is in a great battle. And it's similar to what you spoke. Cal Go about your friend who thought you had the most happy person ever met. So that's what I do. I try to do. It's not always that, but be kind. Everyone's in a great battle.
Speaker 2: Excellent. When did you first become acquainted with this Happiness Hour?
Speaker 9: Well in just the last few months. I've been listening to you for a couple of years, but maybe the Happy Hour didn't really connect. But I've paid more attention to it in your recent months.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, thank you for that. By the way, there are a few people, and then it is few. It's overwhelmingly popular. But I periodically will get an email and it's always from a guy. I've never gotten this from a woman, and that is that is love your show. Listen everything except the Happiness Hour. I'm a political junkie, and I always wonder is that person introspective? It's not, you know, I don't hold it against the person, obviously, but I just wonder, is if you are only interested in politics, and there are such people right and left, then obviously I have to believe you're not terribly introspective of what is going on inside of me. And I can't live such a life. The micro and the Macro are both incredibly important. Alrighty, let's go to Chad in Los Angeles, California. Hello, Chad Dennis Prager. Hello, Okay, thanks great.
Speaker 10: I was calling the quote the only I only.
Speaker 2: The only happy people I know are people I don't know.
Speaker 10: Well, right, I disagree with that. I feel that I know quite a few people that are happy. I myself am very happy. I don't have a perfect everybody has problem.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what she meant, though, that's what you see. You're fully right. If you take her literally, then of course it's not true. There are happy people obviously, but that's not what she really meant. She really meant to say, don't be fooled. Please know that everybody has real burdens and pains. Okay, okay, so that's good. I'm glad you called, and I'm glad to make that clear. Most of the time when I have given that quote, when I have cited that quote, I think the live audiences. I can never tell from the radio, but a live audience will laugh. And it's not because they don't think that there were any happy people on earth. They laugh because of the deeper truth of it. That don't get fooled by thinking this other person is happy, go lucky and they have a painless life. There's no such thing. Okay, and let's go to Orange, California and Diane Diane Dennis Prager.
Speaker 5: Hi, Hi, Dennis.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to tell you I remember distinctly the First Happiness Hour because I have multiple sclerosis. Oh that example. I went, you know what, Dennis is right, and I'm happy anyway. But something like that is just not going to make you unhappy. It's how you react to it.
Speaker 2: There was a quote that I cited recently. A very popular sportscaster died and he had I think, some terrible cancer and he said I quoted him on the show this past week. I think it was in the obituary they mentioned this. He said, what is it? Life is eighty percent what is given to you and no, No, twenty percent is what you're dealt and eighty percent is how you react to it.
Speaker 5: You can't control the wind, but you can't adjust your sails.
Speaker 2: God, there must be so many sayings that say that same thing. Well, that's very touching to me that you have multiple sclerosis and heard the first show.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I know you've you've told that story since, but even then it just hit me like a ton.
Speaker 3: Of bricks and I, well, God bless you, and I mean that well, hm.
Speaker 2: You know what I would like I would like to know how many sayings there are that make that same point. It's not I'll give you another one. It's not the it's not the cards you're dealt it's how you play them, you know. So we now have the wind in the sails. Any of you know more said even come on in on the on the phone or said via an email. You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show. I played for you today the first Happiness Hour. We found it and it's been a lot of fun. And let me take as many call as I can before the end of this particular hour celebrating twelve and a half years consecutively of the Happiness Hour. And let's see here Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Marianne Dennis Prager.
Speaker 11: Hi, Dennis, good afternoon. It's a pleasure to speak with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 11: I've been listening to your show for about three years. Two thousand and eight got me started. And if there was one hour of radio time I have a week, it would have to be the Happiness Hour. Wherever I am, I try to tune into it because it really does make a difference in my life. And the happy people really do make the world happier and make.
Speaker 2: The world better, make the world better better.
Speaker 11: They do make the world better, that's right. And one of my happiest friends is a woman who lost her husband quite unexpectedly eighteen months ago, and yet every day she greets with a smile and the decision to choose to be happy, and it's a great blessing to me. One of my favorite happiness quotes is by Ray Bradbury. I'm sure you're familiar with it. You can make yourself happy or miserable. It's the same amount of effort.
Speaker 2: That's terrific, you know. I'll tell you the truth. We ought to collect some of these because you know, the collective wisdom of the audience is infinitely greater than mine. And so I defer to you in that sense, and I would love to have you send me some intelligent quotes. One of our favorite and we have it on the happiness video at Prager University, is Lincoln's And we decide what is it? We decide to be as happy as we know it's no, no, my favorite quote, and I'm walling it anyway. It's essentially that we decide whether to be happy or not. It's as simple as that, and it's very that's obviously critical. Carmen in Paris, California.
Speaker 12: High Yeah, my name is Carmen, and I like to hear your show is beautiful, and especially I learn more from a Hysland because he loves your show. So I learn more of the language because I hear your voice and I two classes. I get more provision in the language.
Speaker 2: But you know that kind of well, well, that means a lot to me. A lot of immigrants have told me that they have learned a lot of English through listening to the show, and I think of that all the time, and I try. It's one of the reasons I try to speak as clearly and not too fast as possible. So on this anniversary, forgive me if I didn't get to your call. It was a once in a lifetime. A review of the first show, now call in on Anything under the Sun, Lighters and Gentleman. The Music introduces a new dimension to the Dennis Prager program.
Speaker 1: On tomorrow's episode of Dennis Teaches the Torah.
Speaker 4: A lot of people believe that the purpose of life is having children, and in a Jewish life, there's a particular sense of nah us from children. Many of you have heard the term nahus. It's both Yiddish and Hebrew. It means joy and pride in some combination thereof. And that the purpose of life is to nothus from your children. And that's not true, and woe unto the child whose parents feel that way.
Speaker 1: Come back tomorrow for Dennis Prager's signature series. In the first five books of the Bible, Dennis teaches the Torah. This has been timeless wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles.