Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College, All Things Hillsdale Hillsdale dot ed or. I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listen to the Hilldale dialogues, all of them at q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hilldale and even Grace America and you hew it. On this Wednesday, at the day after an election. There's a lot to talk about, and I will be talking about it with Brett Bair, I'll be talking about with Comfortably Smugg of the Ruthless Podcast. I'll be talking about it with Noah Rothman as well. The first of the bottom line, Peggy Flannagan is a lunatic from Minnesota, their lieutenant governor, deeply involved in the non oversight that allowed the fraud to app in Minnesota. She won the nomination over a moderate Democrat, is not really a moderate. Congress Woman Craig is a lefty, but she's not crazy lefty, and Peggy Flannigan is. And Peggy Flannigan is their nominee going to take on Michelle Tafoya. You've heard on this show. Michelle won a spirited race with an absolute majority fifty against some very strong candidates like my friend Tom Wheeler and others, and so Michelle de Foya will be formidable. Is a question about whether or not Minnesota wants to actually have a reasonable person in the United States Senate. They've gone from al frank And to Tina Smith and now they they're gonna send Peggy flan again. They keep going from left to left to left. I don't know. We will wait and see if they elect Peggy flan again. Maybe it's time to give Minnesota to Canada and swap it out for Alberta. I'll bring that up with Smug as well, coming up a little bit later. If you're watching on the Sale News channel, this is when Peggy Flanagan went full coseplay with the Muslim community in Minneapolis. And I understand devoted Muslims dressing in accordance with their religious observance. I don't understand non Muslims dressing up as Muslims. And it's sort of like you do wear green right on Saint Patrick's Day, but it's not this. If you're watching on the sam News channel, I don't know what you call that. It's not a Burka. It's a full covering associated with people from Somalia, some Malli Americans, and I just think that's a little too identity politics for me. But we'll see what they have to say. The biggest story though, not Minnesota, not even Wisconsin, where Francesca Hong blew what the pollsters said was a twenty plus point lead a week ago and lost to David Crowley by four thousand votes out of seven or ninety one thousand votes cast, less than a half percent. The story there is how did the polls get it that wrong? Including the Marquette poll. I'll talk about that a little bit later with John Roberts of Fox News. I was talking with him about it today. It is the gold standard. John knows that. I know that. Marquette's one of those that you just say, oh, that's I believe it. It's broken. Polling is absolutely broken. The question is going to be, why are we going to use it anymore? Why is anyone reporting on what pulling is right now? In Georgia, the most recent poll has John oss Off ahead of Mike Collins by nine points ar P Pole. In North Carolina, the most recent poll has Roy Cooper seven points out of Mike Watley, Well, given that they missed by ten or fifteen in Michigan and twenty in Wisconsin last night, why in the world do we believe these numbers? And Steve Kornaki, estimable and serious man on MS NOW last night, trying to explain the pulling cut number five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: He's here's the thing.
Speaker 1: A glitch, Yeah, Steve.
Speaker 3: Steve's thinking, here's let's let's let's look at it this way. We're kind of indefinitely waiting for them to get their act together here and get the sticks and bring them back and go on. And we've got folks here who are working real late, and I don't think we want to, you know, keep them here to this could go ninety minutes.
Speaker 2: And it's ninety minutes of me saying.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of any other athletes running for Congress? It's such a It's like we've I know, we've come so far here. It's been four hours since polls closed. It's been unbelievably interesting and an intense a night here, and and it really is coming down to this one giant, you know, update in Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: But man, they.
Speaker 3: We we we we waited ninety minutes for them, they did this whole procession and then they find out there's nothing on the sticks and and yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's just my way of saying that.
Speaker 3: I'm just trying to say the audience here so abruptly ending on them, just why we're doing this, because they've the audience has been with us for for six hours in some cases for this moment that didn't happen. And and so folks, we're gonna I think we are gonna wrap it here for the reasons we're saying here. Just but I just I want you to know, I hate hate, you know, doing this to you because it's we we we we You've been I know you're here for results, and we've come to the point where it's like one thing away. I hope you understand that we just, you know, we gotta let everyone here has got a you know, has been here for a long time, and and I'm just.
Speaker 2: Trying to.
Speaker 1: They never killed time before, has he? They just never done this. I've done this like a million times in my life. Okay, I need this is very awkward.
Speaker 3: So this is a okay, Okay, so folks, here's what's happening there there. I'm I'm doing a this is sort of a cut in thing.
Speaker 1: I have to.
Speaker 3: I'm they're gonna let me set this, so it's you.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, the producer.
Speaker 4: But listen, do we want to do Wisconsin results in these updates?
Speaker 2: Or how do we want to parties out?
Speaker 1: They're like producing it live. They've got someone in Steve's here. I guess they fired every producers. Now, okay, so we're doing job over the thing.
Speaker 2: We're gonna fit.
Speaker 3: We're gonna tape here that they're going to insert into news now. So if you, if you'd like, you can watch us put this together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna do that. No, we're not gonna watch. It's a flabbergasted Steve Karnaki. It's very good. Always welcome on the Hue Huge Show. But I've been at thirty Rock till dawn right twenty sixteen after the Trump upset, when it was like night of the Living Dead there, and I was the only guy in the building that voted for Trump. And uh, I was sitting by myself in a corner. Andy Lack, who was then the president of NBC News, you might want to go in this other room, and I did, But I know what all night elections are like we joyed, and I did that in Dallas in two thousand and four. They're much more fun then say twenty twelve, when you think Mitt Romney's going to win and he loses in an hour. Yeah, you remember this studio in twenty twelve. Yeah, I mean it's just it's there are times where you got to fill, and there are times where you don't have to fill at all because it's over and you can go home. And that was a time when you got to fill. And what you're doing is you say, Okay, let's pretend that somebody has not been awake and therefore they're just coming in. So I'm going to start over and I'm going to fill for the next ten minutes by repeating everything I've set up until this point. And I have a lot of experience in this department. When Arnold Schwarzenegger was running in the recallection, he asked me. I said, I would be happy to mc a rally for him at the Orange County Fairground. And the terminator was forty five minutes late after the program called on him to be forty five minutes late, and so I was up there. I was calling everybody out of the crowd. If I wreck he ignized anyone like the third city council member from Laguna Neguel, come on up and tell us what you It was one of those situations where you just got to fill And I feel awful for Steve Karnaki because he had to have a producer and his ear giving him something anything. Talk about Minnesota, talk about South Carolina, talk about New Hampshire's gonna vote on September third, And what are we gonna do about the pulling up there? If this is bad there? And what are we I can't believe that he was so absolutely dumbfounded by the lack of data, because Steve's a machine, He's the best in the business. I just feel bad for him. Meanwhile, Hassan Piker on his podcast was feeling sad for Francesca. Huh. Cut number two.
Speaker 5: Will be able to lean into their victories, so it'll be less difficult, It'll be easier to deliver our message. It'll be more difficult though, because the establishment will not underestimate us. They will continue to undermine us, but they will not underestimate us, so.
Speaker 6: The knives will be out.
Speaker 1: What what do you with the appeal of this fella. Really, the establishment will not underestimists, they will undermine us. The knives will be on. What does that even mean. That's the dumbest thing. Because he says so many dumb things, I can't say that's the dumbest thing he said. It's like a therapy session with him. He's doing talk therapy with himself into a microphone, and for whatever reason, seventy five thousand people are watching him and they fanned for it. I don't get it. Stay tuned in America. I'm cuture. Welcome back, America. I'm cucuit.
Speaker 7: No c.
Speaker 1: Rothsman is the senior writer at National Review, author of the book Blood and Progress. Noah, when I was a lawyer in the White House long ago, you may not have been born. When I'm a lawyer in the White House, we had a questionnaire Forrairie would be appointee to the Reagan nomination? Who's interviewing? The last question of which was, and may still be, is there anything in your background which, should it be made public, would embarrass the president? I think we now need an addendum. Have you ever criticized Thanksgiving? Do you think that's now going to be early on in the due diligence with candidates.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, there should be a woke one checklist. Have you ever criticized cultural appropriation? Do you think burritos are in American food?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Do you have a problem with holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Fourth of July, Halloween, any of those apply? You should not run on the Democratic ticket, and a healthy Democratic Party would enforce that kind of thing, because it's objective is to get people elected to high office. That's the only point of the Democratic Party and the Republican Party to that.
Speaker 1: Peggy Flanagan, we got Elsie in Michigan calling football an area of toxic mask. We've got Grant Platner with a Nazi tattoo. I mean, we've got a parade of horribles this year. Do you think the Republicans are out of it? Given the candidate quality on the Democrat side, they're not.
Speaker 8: I mean, if twenty twenty two is a model Republicans, we should have benefited more from that environment, an anti Democratic, anti Biden environment, but candidate quality put a ceiling on their performance and Democrats could experience the very same phenomenon today. Back to Elsie, you had mentioned that you know they're finding these old tweets which aren't especially old twenty three, twenty four. You know, if you've undergone some kind of a conversion, you should have a conversion narrative that you can reach to and say why you don't believe the thing you believed two years ago. But he's exactly like Francesca Hong in that regard the.
Speaker 2: Senate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a new one cut number three abdu Alsai for Noah.
Speaker 9: Rockmand healthcare should be a choice made by a patient and their doctor.
Speaker 1: That patient is under the AHV.
Speaker 9: To eighteen the parents as well, right, and I believe that Medicare for All should cover all healthcare, yeah, which is defined by what a patient needs in accordance with their doctor. So that includes reproductive rights right, that includes gender affirming care.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Noah, that going to be in a couple of Mike Rogers ads.
Speaker 8: That's going to be in a couple of Mike Rogers ads. As well as Bernie Sanders, who had admitted in his twenty twenty bill for Medicare for All that it consists essentially of nationalizing the health insurance industry. Everybody loves the idea of getting healthcare for everybody that's great, but they don't want to lose their insurance. This is a primary problem with Obamacare.
Speaker 2: It was a big.
Speaker 8: Selling point for Republicans who opposed that sort of thing. And if you just were unconscious for Obamacare debates, maybe you missed it. But Democratic political professionals remember the ordeal they went through trying to sell that thing. It was not fun. And that's just on the policy side of things. You know, Lsieid's come out against as you said, you know football, it's got a big problem with the toxic masculinity in football. Not a huge fan of July fourth. It's very Francesco Hongi ish, and he checks all the boxes that a conventional far left liberal would have to check in twenty twenty. And it was not a great year for Democrats in twenty twenty, but the exception of Joe Biden, who conspicuously distanced himself from all the revolutionary progressivism that was overtaking the party at the time. So yeah, they want to run that playbook again, they're going to encounter what Abigail Spamberger said when she admonished all her colleagues in the post election call in that year and said, never say defund the police again. Never say the word socialism again. If you do, we're going to experience exactly what we experienced this year, a very disappointing year, despite the headwinds that Republicans were experiencing Democrats.
Speaker 1: Two segments come back to polling in segment two. But I got to ask you about a parents you're out on CNN the other night. It reminded me of the final scene of Godfather Won. You took care of all family business around the table. I just wonder when you went to break, did people slump over in their chairs? What happened?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 8: You know, I managed to get all ninety seconds of that out uninterrupted, which which was unique and gratifying for me. It's a funny thing about that show, and the cameras go off. You know, we're not talking about what we just talked about. We're not rehearsing the fight that we just had. Everybody's just kind of cordial. But yeah, it was a it was a fun segment. And if nobody knows what you're talking about. I was referring to LSA even just trying to elaborate on all the deficits that he has he brings with him. As a candidate, and I managed to get them all out ended up being a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought, and tell me if I'm wrong, I know you're a theater kid, or you admit to being a theater kid on National Review and you've got a theater kid that was.
Speaker 2: Deliberate the theater scholarship to undergrad.
Speaker 1: Q okay, So you delivered that with pan, and I think they were a little bit stunned at the fact you didn't have to take a breath as you just moved around the table, taking the premise after premise out and chopping it up into firewood and leaving it splintered around and they were stunned. Has that ever happened before? It has?
Speaker 8: But I'll tell you why, only because on MSNBC and now CNN, I'm trained to get as much of a thought out with as few breaks as possible, because if you take a breath, that's the last thing you're going to say, will there will be interjections, So you really just have to hit beat, beat, beat as fast as you possibly can in order and be as coherent as possible. It requires some training, But I blame my liberal colleagues for forcing me to figure that one out because it was a matter of necessity.
Speaker 1: It was a masterpiece, and I just thought they were a little bit stunned by the fact you dove in to Abby's objection, seize it by the throat and said, yes, we're going to do exactly that and here's why, and did not let go of the throat of the premise until after your ninety seconds were done. And I would use that in a media training class. Actually, it's so rare that anyone gets even our wonderful friend Scott. Scott gets shut down a lot. Are they treating you nicely because you're relatively new?
Speaker 8: Well, they always treat me nicely, and they interrupt very frequently. It was a rare occurrence that I'd managed to get that thought out and uninterrupted. It's just kind of part and parcel for that set, which I don't blie. It's just the nature of that show and very many other political chat shows, especially those with a left wing host. You know, they challenged the premises of conservatives. They don't accept the premises of conservatives. I'm used to it, which is why you have to be as articulate as you possibly can be, which with as much alacrity as you can summon because you only have so much runway.
Speaker 1: And get up momentum. This is a little bit of a class for people out there who in speech and debate get up momentum, take a deep breath, and and keep running the ball forward until somebody tackles you. Fair summary, Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 8: I actually managed to put a period on that thought, so I didn't need to be tackled to the ground, fortunately, But sometimes you do. Sometimes you there's other thoughts in there that you don't have the opportunity.
Speaker 1: To get out.
Speaker 8: But this time, Yeah, that was a that was a good solid clip.
Speaker 7: Enjoyed it?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Oh I did? I thought I watched it? Try did they did they put rap in your ear? There's some some mysterious voice say rap ever to you on CNN. No.
Speaker 8: I get that from Fox often and it's very dis oorienting, But on CNN, no, I do not.
Speaker 1: I'd learn they don't need to bother the guests if you if you take.
Speaker 2: A morning Joe used to do that to me.
Speaker 8: They would say listen, we're coming to you next, and that sort of thing, which is usually quite helpful. But wrap, Yeah, that doesn't happen on CNN, just because I don't control the microphone that they probably give that those directions to Abby.
Speaker 7: But not me.
Speaker 1: All right, it was I salute you. I'm going to try and keep Noah over to talk about the big question of the day. Why are we reading any polls? Why are we taking any poles? Seriously, two weeks in a row been off by double digits. Last night they were off by twenty points. The Marquet poll, well, the gold standard pole, like the des Moines registered poll that a Kamala winning. No one will be back if he's back, stay tuned, Welcome back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt No See Rothman, senior writer with the National Review.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: I assume you are familiar with the Monty python bit. This parrot is dead, are you? I am all right, So the polling is dead. Try and tell me that it's not.
Speaker 8: Well, here's the only thing you can say about polling, Hugh. It's all we've got. And that's not saying a lot, but it's not nothing. Otherwise, prognostication is reduced to just expressions of opinion, a subjective exercise, which you know can be valuable if you're talking to somebody with a lot of wisdom, has been around a long time, who has been servying the political environment for decades. That can be valuable, but otherwise it's our only instrument for measuring public opinion. When it comes to primary races, polling has always been very bad. This year, it's exceptionally bad, but it's exceptionally bad in a way that we're familiar with. What are these polls failing to capture so far? On the Democratic primary side, It's African American voters, it's working class voters. We've been dealing with this problem for a decade. Only the problem was beneficial to Donald Trump because Donald Trump was getting a lot of these votes that just weren't being captured by pollsters. It's funny when you get older, as when I was young coming up, it was impossible to get young people to respond to a poll. Young people were so difficult to pull, and that was a hidden source of democratic strength.
Speaker 2: They banked on it.
Speaker 8: Now it's impossible to not get them to respond to surveys because those surveys aren't necessarily conducted by landline. They're very rarely conducted by landline. So we've altered these methods to correct for one problem and created another along the way, and that's just how these sort of things work.
Speaker 2: My question whether or not we're capturing the question yet is.
Speaker 1: Why are we using bad information that can influence the election, which I think it did in Michigan, may not have done obviously, did not do in Wisconsin, but could do in North Carolina, in New Hampshire, in South Carolina. There are a lot of places where you just wonder if it's bad information in you're going to get bad election results. It does have an impact. It's not neutral.
Speaker 8: It did no it does have an impact, or it could have an impact in theory, if you flood the zone with bad polling, all of which are in moving in one direction, and convey to people who are paying close attention to this race that it's basically over and one candidate has all but won. That will depress turnout for the candidate who's down, because why participate it's already over. That's very serious and I'd be curious to see if there's reporting that can be done around this on whether this was banal, accidental or by design, whether as as if to say, there's an effort to flood the zone with dubious polling that creates an impression of inevitability for certain candidates designed to put to discourage the other side's vote. There's nothing illegal about that. There's something a lot that's untoward and immoral about it, but it's the sort of thing that I would need reporters to identify suss out, and I think there's plenty of room to explore that, especially in the Michigan and the Wisconsin governor's race. But what's what do we do about it?
Speaker 2: Is that your question?
Speaker 11: Man? I don't know.
Speaker 8: I think we just have to menalize.
Speaker 1: If we had the same amount of concern over bad polling as we did about misinformation from Russia or other foreign actors in presidential election, doesn't the level of misinformation contained in pulling easily surpassed that done by foreign actors in our presidential elections, both prom con Democrats and Republicans.
Speaker 8: Maybe, I mean, the only difference is, you know, remember those hearings after twenty sixteen when Democrats on the House floor were identifying the ways in which Americans were manipulated by Russia, and they included big placards with memes that were on Facebook like Jesus and the Devil arm wrestling over the fate of Hillary Clinton's campaign brought buff Bernie Sanders, which was a big meme a decade ago. This is the sort of thing that was said by Democratic politicians to have materially influenced the outcome of a presidential election. I needed more citations there than we got. But this, Yes, this could be very much more serious, only in so far as they're coming from domestic sources, Americans who are presumably invested in the health and preservation of the republic. And that's the sort of thing that you'll defer to more than you would dubious meme that's coming at you from a cliqu farm in Macedonia. So yeah, it could be much more serious in that regard, only because we put more faith and trust in it because it's coming from domestic sources.
Speaker 1: Exit question. Do you think the polling in Michigan put LSA over the top?
Speaker 2: Possibly?
Speaker 8: It was so close it's quite possible that Haley Stephens voters were discouraged, at least on the margins. You know, you could go back throughout the year and ask yourself a lot of questions, like, was Janet Mills really that far behind Grand Platner to the degree that she had to drop out. I mean, polling suggested she was down by twenty points. Was she We'll never know, but there's probably a lot of lower rate house races, mayoral races that suffer from that very same confidence deficit. And I don't know what to do about it except to Warren voters that you know, caveat m tour. This may or may not reflect the landscape, and you just have to vote.
Speaker 1: That's another perhaps one rule. Do not report polls that are paid for by one campaign or the other, or by dark money. No l. C. Rothman on X in the National Reviews. Thank you, Noah. I'll be right back in, Martha. Stay to the edition breaking news that I get to talk about with Brett Behar, host of Special Report every night on the Fox News Channel at six pm. Buttt will be there tonight. I'm sure he'll be covering the fact that Carolyn Lovett, press secretary for President Trump, will be leaving that job at the end of the month. Brett used to cover that beat. I don't know which press secretaries you had, but I'm thinking of Sarah Canby, Sander Tony Snow, Ari Fleischer, Dana Prino. Republican presidents have had a good run here, and Carolyn's been a very fabulous press secretary. What do you think they follow her.
Speaker 6: With Hugen afternoon? I think, you know, it's a little bit of a loss for President Trump because I thought she was a pretty good advocate on his behalf, really good articulating you know, where his head was, which is tough to do in a fast moving president who tells everything he thinks on truth, social and but she, you know, did very well and at the podium there fending off a lot of questions in that press room. Who they go to, you know, some of the people that have stepped up before, I'm sure will fill in, but maybe they'll they'll go to another permanent person. I had Tony Snow in the Bush administration, that had Dana for a little bit, and then the early days I think Ari Fleisher, So you know, they You're right, there have been some some good ones. There have been some some questionable ones. Oh yes, I didn't cause some problems.
Speaker 1: I wasn't going to mention the ones who always rubbed me the wrong way. But it seems to me intelligence matters in this job a lot, and not just eloquence. But you really got to know what you're talking about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and Carolyn did a really great job of knowing the brief and being comfortable with it to spar with reporters. But she also gave, you know, pretty much a lot of access. And one of the things that this president has done more than previous and definitely more than the last, is reporters ask him questions. So you know, some days Carolyn didn't have anything because he was on his fifth press conference in the Oval Office. And you know he's been on your show many times. He likes to answer the questions.
Speaker 1: He does. Now. That brings me to my second question. But I know you didn't cover the Justice Department. You did the Pentagon. But the Attorney General gave a presser today and there have been some legendary DOJ correspondents, including our own kry Urban, but Rida Braver and Ruth Marcus and Nina Totenberg legendary. Today there's a big story a thousand fake marriages, all to Chinese spouses who are doing a fake marriage with an American citizen. Nobody asked the Attorney General if any of them are Chinese Communist officials. Brett I get so frustrated sometimes when the obvious questions don't get out. Does it not occur to them?
Speaker 6: I don't know. I mean that would have been tough question for me if I'm in that room, you know, with the tie to CCP and all that is happening on a number of different fronts. So yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: It's a big stri I would also ask something very very mundane, which is did they have pre naps? Because what do you think we're just guessing here? Do you think someone who enters into a fake marriage gets a prenup or not?
Speaker 6: It's a great question. I don't think they do, but it seemed like this was kind of a fly by night operation, but pretty organized for that many people.
Speaker 1: One hundred thousand dollars also seems low to me. I've got a serious question after this. Doesn't that seem low to you to be able to if you're coming from China to get a fake marriage? I think you're paying seven figures.
Speaker 6: Not saying yeah yeah. I mean, you know, there's a lot of people in tough times, so one hundred thousand probably is attractive to a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Okay, before I go to this area today, I was on with John Roberts when I was at sant Ane Brett. They had a rule they would tackle you if you made a reference to popular culture that was more than a week old. So I couldn't use a Seinfeld reference or anything like that. They would say, don't do that, You'll lose the audience. Fact's not an evidence. John dropped a Princess Bride reference today. What is your thinking about?
Speaker 7: It?
Speaker 1: Was a very good one, and I was amused. I think everyone said, what's your rule about things like that?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 6: I think the iconic ones like Princess Bride inconceivable. I think that's that's worthwhile. I think a lot of the audience gets all that you know, and so I think it's funny and shows personality. But John, I saw the whole live shot.
Speaker 7: It was great.
Speaker 1: Oh I just threw that in there, and I haven't. I must say I was taken aback because it's one of my favorite films. All right to the serious stuff.
Speaker 6: My name is Indigo Montoya. They're prepared to die.
Speaker 1: I think it may be the most easily you can do Seinfeld. You know, close talkers and straight arm walkers. But people might not get it. People get the Prince's Bride, okay. Brt Frond Maraser of The Wall Street Journal. Iran is defying US pressure by becoming a survival economy. I don't think we can crack the regime with economic sanction, because they'll loot ninety two million people to keep a quarter million in power. What do you think I.
Speaker 6: Agree with you. I think they are feeling pressure. I do agree that they have three hundred thousand or three hundred percent inflation, and I do agree that there are indications that people aren't getting paid and there's angst and chaos. However, for forty seven years, they've managed to get around sanctions. They've managed to figure out how to make their country work, even in the face of a boot on the neck of them economically. And I have a feeling that they are running out the clock towards the midterms and will hang on. And so when this back and forth and the president can say something about we're in control of the Strait, and then Iranians can fire on a boat and a ship and they can say we're in control of the Straight. So oil prices in the meantime, you know, hover, and as we saw in these elections, you know, I think cost of living is still what drives people's mentality when they're going to the ballot box and scared of democratic socialist agenda is something, but it's not as much as cost of living.
Speaker 1: So I agree with that. I want to know what you think about in October. Surprise if the president we're to launch a return to combat major combat operation and do so in the middle of October for three straight weeks, Benjamin att Yao would be very happy if it's before the Israeli vote. What would it do to our elections? Do you think? If anything?
Speaker 6: You know, we've we've seen so little reaction other than negative to a long term conflict and the fact that it's this long. I mean, every pole that we look at look at is kind of upside down. Republicans, you know, it's less, But I don't think it will affect that that much unless there is some major combat operation that ends in a definitive success that ends everything. And I actually agree with you. I'm talking to a lot of experts and I have Jack Keen on tonight. They believe that it's not going to end until there is that.
Speaker 1: And I'm thinking, if you have to do that, and you've got a limited number of ordinance strikes, you do it. All when they don't want you to do it, which is before the Israeli elections before ours. Okay, bred I want to close by asking you about polling. And Fox News has the best posters in the world. They're very serious professionals. They work hard at it, and in fact, every network tries to be it right. They don't ever want to be wrong. But we've had two big misses, and I don't mean close misses, enormous misses in Michigan and then went last night in Wisconsin. Is it broken to the point that you are reticent about using polling?
Speaker 6: We're using it less and I think we will ahead of the midterms. We'll give a you know, a glancing blow. I think it's going to be more important to talk to people on the ground. You know, the Kahali group was pretty close on a couple of the polls. They've had a decent track record. Excuse me, but you're right. When you're off twenty points, that's like you're in a different state. And I think, you know, he accidentally wrote Michigan instead of Wisconsin upside down or something. And I think you just have to be everything with a grain of salt. I think you know, we could be in the midst of Republicans are hoping the big red waves that never materialized. Well, I mean there could be a big blue wave that doesn't materialize, depending on how people are feeling about their economy.
Speaker 1: Okay, last question on the relative scale of things you don't want to say, with criticizing Thanksgiving being a ten, where is it for a mission candidate to say that toxic masculinity is manifested in football?
Speaker 6: I think it's high. I mean it's right up there with Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: I think you're right.
Speaker 6: I mean between college football and big blue and you know, Detroit Lions, you're backing yourself into a corner.
Speaker 1: I agree, and we will see in eighty three days. Brett Bear Special Report. Good to talk to you, Brett, Thank you for joining me. Don't go anywhere, America. I'll be right back. I've got John pod Orts coming up, and we're gonna do an intervention with John because on the commentary podcast, they're very, very, very upset with where the war is going. And I keep going back to are we better off than we were on January twentyeth, twenty twenty five, And my answer to me to be Iran is by a magnitude or off the charts. Stay with me. I'm Hugh Hewittt. You're listening to the u Uit Show on the Salem News Channel, the Salem Radio Network, and our wonderful affiliates across the country. Welcome back, America. I'm Hugh Hewittt with the editor in chief of Commentary Magazine and the host of the daily Commentary podcast, John pod hoorts. John, I'm worried. I'm worried about two things. First thing I'm worried about is the Commentary Roast on November eighth in New York City, where the honoree is Ron Derman. I'm worried because I went to chat SHEBT and on my first past they didn't know what it was and they couldn't find information. So I asked them to try hard.
Speaker 2: They shouldn't. I don't want them to.
Speaker 10: You don't want This is a very private exclusive This is a very private exclusive event. It's off the record. It's our main fundraiser of the year, and we keep it on the QT so that everybody can be frank and amusing and say what they want to say without fear of it all being exposed to the harsh light of day.
Speaker 1: It's going to be fabulous this year because Ron Dermot you will not remember this. John. I've only met him once. I was in your company at the Arcade Hotel at the Cleveland convention in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 10: Oh, I remember it very well, in that bizarre Yes, the ArKade, A beautiful nineteenth century arcade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which fabulous hotel, which.
Speaker 2: Is in a movie.
Speaker 10: I saw a movie that where and Superman people floating to the ceiling Superman, that's right, that's right, David porn Sweat and Rachel Brosihan floating to the ceiling of the Arcade Hotel.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, I know that you and Ron Durmer, and you told me and what I remember, yes, yes, what I tell you that was going to say, I remember at that Just to give people a sense of what that convention was like. That was, of course the convention where Trump was nominated, and there was a private session a lunch that I was at with Paul Ryan.
Speaker 2: Then the you know, Speaker of the House. Was he Speaker of the House then or was.
Speaker 1: He the minority leader speak?
Speaker 2: I can't remember.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he was Speaker of the House and he was explaining how if Trump lost by three points they would hold the House. If Trump lost by seven points, they could probably hold the House, but if he lost by ten, they would lose the House by twenty seats. And in no one of these scenarios did he say what might happen if Trump won rather than lost.
Speaker 2: So that was the mood at.
Speaker 10: The convention among the regular Republicans, including you know not I would not, I'm not a professional Republican, but you know in these circles, which is like, Okay, how bad is it going to be in November?
Speaker 2: How bad is Trump going to lose that?
Speaker 10: And everybody seemed to have that attitude in the circles in which I was traveling, So that just goes.
Speaker 1: I long ago that was, and I had that mood. And all I remember, though, is when the ambassador walked away, you said to me, that's one of the most important men in Israel. Because I was not familiar with Ron Dermer at that point, I think maybe doctor Orn was still the ambassador, but but you told me that's the guy, and I think he remains the guy. Do you think he remains the guy that the Prime Minister turns proper?
Speaker 10: Well, Ron Durmer is no longer in the government. He is no longer an explicit, you know, right hand man to Benjamin and Yahoo and his but I assume that he is still a confidant. He left the government because it was such a you know it, three or three extraordinarily ruling years of work, and he has kids, he has teenage kids, and he had promised his wife that he was only going to sort of do it for a year, and of course then October seventh happened and he had to stay. But it was just sort of like hell on his family. So he he chose to go back into private life. But I assume that he and BB are on the phone constantly.
Speaker 1: So you talk, you talk to your sister Ruthie, who lives in Israel. Do you think the Prime Minister has a good chance of remaining not as a caretaker, not in a hung parliament, but as actually winning. Do you see that happening?
Speaker 10: My sister Ruthy whom you mentioned, who is a columnist with the Jewish New Syndicate and has herself a twice weekly podcast called Israel Undiplomatic, just told me twenty minutes ago that the person she considers the most accurate pollster in Israel, who got the twenty fifteen election right, which is something that he was the only person to get right.
Speaker 2: A BB landslide in twenty to fifteen.
Speaker 10: Says he is convinced that BB NETNW who will win the right wing coalition led by net Now, who will win enough seats to form a majority government. But he is the only poster in Israel who is saying that.
Speaker 2: So well, that's my report to you on how things are.
Speaker 10: The election is on October twenty seventh, so that's two months from now, and God only knows. This is an incredibly complicated political system they have.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of gamesmanship.
Speaker 10: There's a lot of horse behind the scenes, horse parties being created and closed up to join other groups or to act as spoilers.
Speaker 2: Or to become king makers.
Speaker 10: And there is an X factor figure in the general Gotti Eisenod, who is now leading a party but has never been in politics before, who he himself personally is polling well, but that doesn't mean no one votes directly for the prime minister, so so his party will have to will have to outperform and his ANTIBB coalition. So basically there's a BB coalition and there will be an anti there are ANTIBB forces, and he's now the leader effectively of the ANTIBB forces. And that's the question is who will prevail. And my guess, my guest, if you really have to bet, my guess is that nobody will be able to form a government and that we will be what you mentioned in a caretaker moment, which is exactly what happened between twenty nineteen and twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: When okay, this is a trivia question before we go to break, because it's never discussed. I listened to Dan Senior and Amie Sagal Anddavid Yale. None of them ever bring this up. So it's not fair asking you the attorney general. I teach constitional law. I know our system pretty well. The Israeli system is Yes, the Attorney General in Israel for four years has been nothing but a thorn in the side of bb Netne And I think she's not Is she gonna be? Is she? Is she a g forever? How long does she stay?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 10: I honestly don't know the answer to that question because her her political position is sort of like the FED chairman, somewhat shielded from the from the politicians, but it is true that her she is like Javert trying to bag Bibi in in In. Therefore, there were four prosecutes usis there are now two. I believe and I'm not saying this as a BB partisan or anything. I believe these cases are entirely without merit and that it is an outrage that they have been going on now for six years.
Speaker 2: Six years.
Speaker 10: He has essentially been in a courtroom on and off for six years and there is a trial going on. During the Iran conflict, he was in a courtroom during It's imagine it's a Trump for president and at the same time had to be in Alvin Bragg's courtroom through the entirety of his presidency.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's it's deranged.
Speaker 10: It's part of the it's part of the problems with this, you know, very vibrant nation, but one with an immature political system that it hasn't figured out proper checks and balances.
Speaker 2: And here we are.
Speaker 1: Well stand by. I'm gonna talk with John about what it's like CLI on the Upper West Side now during the break, and then when we come back, I'm going to get to Iran and the fact that we need an intervention on the Commentary podcast because it is absolutely depressing me every day that I listened to it. But first, we're going to talk about the reality of living on the Upper West Side in a period of time I never thought i'd seen America States. I'm back with John podhorra S, editor in chief of Commentary Magazine. If you're not listening to the Commentary podcast every morning, you're missing the best podcast intellectual substance out there. John. I only lived in New York for six months. I lived at one hundred and tenth in Broadway. It was crazy then, but I'm a gentile and I'm not particularly worried about antisemitic nuts running around. Now. You live there in what is the most anti Semitic moment, maybe since the KKK got going. Are you personally alarmed? Do you worry about your children and your friends and the crazies around you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: About two blocks for me two weeks ago, coming out of synagogu at about one o'clock in the afternoon and an Orthodox synagogue. A man walking down the street, noticeable as a Jewish person because he was wearing a keepaw a skull cap, was stabbed near the heart with a screwdriver by somebody who yelled a lahuac bar and that is you know, it wouldn't have been me because I don't walk around I don't wear keepa My sixteen year old son does. So you tell me whether I should be worried or not. Well, she won't take it off, won't. I won't tell him. I won't tell him to take it off because he is a proud member of the tribe and this is important to him, and he is he is, and so he wears his he wears his Judaism on his sleeve. And I'm not going to say he shouldn't. I think that would be shameful. It would be I think. But I am I concerned. Yeah, I'm concerned as I've never been concerned before.
Speaker 1: In my life. So has the New York City Police Department responded in noticeably Jewish neighborhoods, especially in Brooklyn and Manhattan, with an increased presence on the street, which would seem to me to be the obvious thing to do.
Speaker 10: I have seen that, particularly in this area. But of course, the question is not really whether the police can retard or block.
Speaker 2: A random act of madness.
Speaker 10: And it appears this guy who yelled a la Jakorn and stabbed this gentleman and stabbed somebody three blocks away earlier, about half an hour earlier. Is a mentally ill person and not an Arab, by the way, And so that kind of attack is very hard to prevent. Right, It's like the other crimes in New York that are now so prevalent or that are so frightening to people, are these times when people are pushed onto a subway platform. Now, when I was a kid, you know, crime was economic. That is to say, what you got was lugged. You've got somebody came up to you and stole your wallet, or you know, when we had more, we carried around more cash than we do now and whatever. So so that was more. There was more menace in that sense because you just didn't know, and there was there was a lot.
Speaker 1: There wasn't we got to go back on. It wasn't directed when I lived in the city in nineteen.
Speaker 10: Right, No, it was not that was that was directed at anyone.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, welcome back in America. I'm with John Todd Hortz here on The Huge US Show, editor in chief of Commentary Magazine, host of the Daily Commentary podcast, which you ought to listen to. John, I want you to finish the thought that people here on the podcast. The menace that I felt living in New York in nineteen eighty was generalized. Everyone was on their toes for everything. Now it's directed to Jews. I just don't know what the American city police should do about that. Do you have a thought on that, right?
Speaker 11: My?
Speaker 2: Well? Okay, So here's the story. The story is that.
Speaker 10: Jewish institutions need to be and are protected. They're protected in two ways, one of which is they have cough cars in front of them and stuff like that. The other is private security. And one of the unknown hidden stories of the last couple of years is that Jewish people, who number about five million in the United States, and have you know synagogues and community centers and the institutions and all of that, are spending privately seven hundred and fifty million dollars a year on security.
Speaker 2: Wow. Just think about that for a second.
Speaker 10: So, while there are local authorities everywhere in the country that are aware of the threats to synagogues and Jews and all of that, nonetheless it is insufficient and the work needs to be done to harden these about a lot of this money is capital spending on securing the institutions, creating barriers to entry for you know, bad actors, that kind of thing, and so buildings places are much safer. Even though we know the guy drove into try to literally smash his car into this synagogue in Bloomfield Hills.
Speaker 2: The attack that.
Speaker 10: Abdullah Sad refused to condemn or said was the result of hurt people hurting people. Yeah, so that kind of thing that could happen, because there are some things you really can't block, but buildings and institutions are secure. What's happening here is a mood that is being created in the city that normalizes anti Semitism by calling it anti Zionism and basically tells people it's not only that you could be criminally attacked, but if you're in a restaurant and somebody looks at you and says are you a Jew? And you say yes, and he then curses you out or throws a chair at you, or a Jewish owned business, suddenly people are graffeeding up the business and the mayor of New York City is on their side.
Speaker 2: He is on their side.
Speaker 10: He is a supporter of the lawlessness and antiinomenism. He does not like Israel, he does not like the Jewish state. He does not like Jewish people who do not agree with him that the Jewish states should not exist.
Speaker 2: And he is.
Speaker 10: Loathsomely eager to traffic in and join in with the jackals who want to harm the Jews.
Speaker 2: So one final note, he said.
Speaker 10: Asked about why he would not support Israel, he said, you know, I can't support one state that would privilege one religion over another. Two days ago, he welcomed and appeared at a celebration of Pakistan's independence seven ninth anniversary of Pakistan's independence. The second sentence in Pakistan's constitution says Pakistan is an Islamic state. So he's a liar. He's a filthy, rotten, stinking liar. He doesn't like the Jewish state, he doesn't like Jews, and he's he is giving people in the city a permission structure.
Speaker 2: That is inevitably going to lead to violence.
Speaker 1: So here's the difficult question. I have a college friend Jewish who works for him in a senior job. Can you imagine doing that?
Speaker 10: No, I can't, although you know if he's there thinking that, you know, he might be there to help temper the worst impulses, which is why Jessica Tish, my former intern, who is now the police commissioner of New York City, uh and a and a, you know, a good person from a serious Jewish family and a very good police commissioner, is still there. I think to, you know, do what she can to protect the city from its own mayor is the.
Speaker 2: Best way I can put it.
Speaker 10: And when that becomes intolerable for her or becomes intolerable for him, that employment will end.
Speaker 1: Commentary podcast one day at least ask the panel is the world better today than it was on January twenty first of twenty twenty five, because you guys are very stressed out over the Iran War. But I keep going back to the fact we're a lot better off than we were, that you agree with that we have like thirty seconds.
Speaker 10: Very simply, we would right now have a We would have the dumbest and least consequential politician ever to serve in the White House had Trump not one on November fourth, twenty twenty four, and things would be terrible.
Speaker 1: That's that's what I always remind myself, even when it's a bad day. In the Iran battle. John pod Ortz follow him at Jay pod orts on X. Listen to the commentary podcast Monday through Friday. It posts about ten thirty or eleven o'clock and it's invaluable. Thank you, John. Speak to in America, Welcome back America. You hewittt now joined by former United States Senator Jim Talent, who represented the Great State of Missouri. We usually talk national security because Jim is on the Reagan Institute Board of National Security Center for Peace through Strength. Jim, I'm just talking to John pod Ortz about the very basic question is the world in the United States better off today than they were on January twenty at twenty twenty five, because it seemed to me that's the way to consider the Iran conflict.
Speaker 12: Well, I assume you're just you're talking about the Middle East specifically, and the answers, Yeah, the answer is unequivocally yes. Iranian national power, both military and economic, has been broken. I mean, humpty dumpty has fallen off the waluew and nobody's putting it back together again. So thereability The regime made linger probably will for a while, but their capabilities are those of a sub national force, so they can threaten coastal shipping the whu Thi's can do that. They can execute their own people, Hamasta does that, they can try and assassinate foreign leaders. Every terrorist group in the country, in the world tries to do that. So they're a problem now that we have to manage, specifically with regard to the Strait, and the President is managing it by hitting them back five times as hard when they decide to hit us, and by throttling them with the blockade.
Speaker 1: So the Wall Street Journal has a headline Iran is defying US pressure by becoming a survival economy. Tehran's leaders focus on subsistence in bid to outlast sanctions and enable blockade. I am of the opinion that they can loot ninety two million people for the money they need for themselves and their army forever, and that we won't crack them this way, But it's they can't get strong enough to threaten any of our allies in a significant way. At the same time, agree, disagree, I.
Speaker 12: Think I disagree you now again. I think I should preface by saying, and I've been saying this for months, I think the fall of the regime is inevitable, but very well not be imminent. So you said they loot their people. What wealth have their people got? The currency is worthless?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 12: I mean the state is surviving now. Its entities are cross borrowing. They're borrowing money from each other.
Speaker 7: To make the books look like they like they balance.
Speaker 12: The only way they can do that is for the central bank to create money, to add zeros to the count to the accounts, to print money, and so the currency is worthless.
Speaker 1: I think what they'll do is go into individual homes and take anything of value, whether it's gold or silver, or watches or cars. That's what I mean by loot their people because their people don't have guys.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's probably a barter economy. They can steal from their own people. But this is not North Korea. This is and this is a nation state in the middle of the Middle East that had designs on dominating the whole region and have gone a long way towards doing it. So can they crawl along? Can they limp along? Execute enough people to stay in power? Maybe, but their strategy for the region is shattered. That's why I said it's a problem now that we have to manage. Beginning with the straight well Chris Wright announced yesterday. I'm sure you saw it.
Speaker 1: I saw it. Nine.
Speaker 12: Yeah, are moving and the pipelines are pumping five or six million more than they did before the war began. That basically makes up for the oil that they thought they were stopping the world from getting. Now, oil price is going to remain elevated because of the risk going forward. But I look what I like to see us hit them again the way you've argued for and John has and others.
Speaker 7: I would be fine with it.
Speaker 12: But I can't stand here and say that a policy where we are throttling them economically while hitting them back very hard if they ever dare to hit us, I can't say that's an unreasonable choice under the circumstances.
Speaker 1: If Donald Trump had the Cooper Plan, Admiral bad Cooper has the plan for UH four weeks of intensive bombing to destroy the remaining infrastructure of value. If he executes that in October, what is the political impact of that.
Speaker 12: Well, I suppose if there was some very visible result, like the regime bending the knee, it would probably be good. But I think this is a domestic election. I don't I don't think the war is not helping. I guess although it's you know, it's it's it's causing. I think a lot of not causing, but it's it's it's causing to be visible a lot of the anti semitism on the left, which does help us. It's an economic election and it's going to turn I think on the quality of the candidates, how hard we hit them for all this socialism, which I'm convinced we're going to do that. I'm not worried about us doing that. But the thing we need to do that we're not doing you is talk about the coming manufacturing economic boom. You already see the signs of it. Kevin Hassett's talking about it all the time. For the productivity is up, manufacturing investment is up, real family income is up, consumer spending is up.
Speaker 1: I feel like I'm in nineteen.
Speaker 12: Eighty two and nineteen eighty three is coming, and we have we're not telling people that.
Speaker 1: You well, I remember that, Oh that was the turn, but it came too late to save. I guess we didn't lose the Senate in eighty two. We lost the House.
Speaker 12: No, we lose the Senate. I don't think we're going to lose the Senate. Now, now a lot depends on what the individual candidates do. We're going in that red zone the last sixty days. We've got some really good ones. We've got some others that are okay. You know, we're going to see what happens. But you I think, look, we made the tax cuts permanent. The president. Trump's a huge deregulatory president, as as Reagan was. We have an energy policy where production is surging, and for once we actually have balanced trade with other countries around the world. There is no way that is not going to produce enormous economic growth. And I think if we make that case to people, it's going to be very credible and it's going to lift some moods out there.
Speaker 7: But we're not making it.
Speaker 1: Ill.
Speaker 12: If I can suggest, why don't you get Hassett on the ship. I've been tough to him for fifteen minutes. Get Kevin on the show.
Speaker 1: Good idea, Yeah, he's very much What do you last? Quick exit? Jim? The polls are busted. Should we even be using them in reporting? Oh?
Speaker 12: Well, ideally no, But I mean they're going to use some of you now in part it's because and and when you've run as many campaigns as I have. You know this, there's only two objective indications of how well a candidate is doing. One of them is the money you've raised, which is not as relevant anymore because so much money comes from the outside.
Speaker 7: The other is Poland, so they're going to report on it.
Speaker 1: But I don't.
Speaker 12: I don't trust him. There's some polsters if you follow them consistently. Henry Olsen's very good. I mean, there's some good ones out there, but there's also some real bad ones.
Speaker 1: And Henry Patrick Rushini there are a half dozen the boy have they been bad this week? In last Jim Talent can be followed on exit Jim Talent, Thank you, Senator. I'll be right back in America. State Tue and Grace America. I'm go Hewett. Welcome now a three of today's program. Admiral Mark se Montgomery, retired United States Navy Senior Fellow at the Foundation for the Defensive Democracy, joins me, as he does at least once a month.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: I was in a minor league baseball game last night where it got still out of hand. They had the third baseman pitched the ninth inning rather than use another reliever, and all he did was throw big fat meatballs that they were hitting all over the place, but they got some outs too, So I thought I would begin with a big fat meatball. What do you think is going on with iron right now? Are we winning?
Speaker 11: So that's the meatball? Okay, So look, I think it's weird. You hear the President say I controlled the straight oh hor Moves, and you hear the Bahadi, the head of the agency, say we control the straight of Hormuves.
Speaker 7: They're both correct.
Speaker 11: The United States, using its navy, can blockade the straight of hor Moves, And if you're foolish enough, like a Panamanian freighter yesterday, to try to run it, you'll catch a couple of hell fires and you have to lay to and be boarded. And it so that by dint of a navy we can stop all flow through the Straight.
Speaker 7: Of hor Moves.
Speaker 11: The Iranians can can buy geography right now block the straight of Hormuves by firing in and scaring merchant ships.
Speaker 7: So those are both true.
Speaker 11: But what's also true is the only one of us that can open the straight oh hor Moves is the United States. If the President were decided to do that, I think right now he does not have the political will to do that because I think it would involve risk to our ships but also to merchant ships, and it would require a significant bombing campaign to be restarted against the the littoral areas of in the vicinity of the straight Ohr moves.
Speaker 7: So right now you're going to all stop.
Speaker 11: And now the question comes which one of us feels the pain of a secure of a of a throttled.
Speaker 7: Straight of hooves. And I recognize a small amount.
Speaker 11: Of Western supported oil is coming through somewhere, probably between two and five million barrels a day, and stuff is going out through pipelines at the tune of seven or maybe even eight million barrels a day. But overall we're underperforming where we were before the war in terms of getting fuel out and certainly getting LNG out. So I say, at this point, you know, the United States, we're going to play a game of chicken on economic pressure, or we can restart a campaign. You know, I've argued for restarting an air campaign in order to impose costs on the Iranians and force open the Straight of hor moves. But I'm in the minority in terms of you know, if I were in the executive branch right now.
Speaker 1: Well you persuaded me a long time ago. Well, right now is at eighty two dollars and sixty three. It's a barrel. That's for Brent. And I assume that if we go back to full combat operation, that'll go back up closer to one hundred. And that's a political cause. The president doesn't want to incur between now and the election, but that after the election. Do you agree with my assessment that after the election all bets are off about this?
Speaker 11: I hope so, because you know, I believe this is how you look. There's a lot on the line here. One is should this regime exists as it continued? It is, it is currently constitu constituted, and I don't think it is. It's a I don't think it should. It's a forty seven year authoritary in regime that's practiced terrorism for that whole time, killed one thousand plus Americans, killed thousand Europeans in Europe or in Afghanistan, killed thirty thousand plus of its own people on a weekend. And you know we're treating you know, Europe treats US like cope belligerents, and we're not finishing the job here.
Speaker 7: So I think we should finish the job.
Speaker 11: Plus there's a principle of international trade here that will spread rapidly now, least of which to the Babe Mandeb in the Red and you know, in between the Red Sea and in the Arabian Sea. And we cannot allow this to continue. So if we have to wait to have the election or do it, we should do so.
Speaker 7: But we should go.
Speaker 11: We should get right to business because we are harming the readiness of the US Navy, US Air Force, and the US Army Air Defenders by not initiating as combat operations. Now I understand the politics of it, but you'll get your resolution and you know, the second week of November and then move on.
Speaker 1: So you've commanded a carrier strike for uce. How long can the Lincoln stay on that post? Do you know that? Are we preparing to relieve it with a different carrier?
Speaker 7: Well, I presume we are. We have a normal rotation.
Speaker 11: Now, what's going on right now is we're keeping two point zero in the UH as much as possible in the in the Mid East, in the Sentcom area of responsibility. So you know, if we're going to maintain two point Ohero carriers. That is extra pressure. But one way we can do it is the carrier that the carry strike group by commander that operates out of Yukuska in Japan can be utilized for this mission. You know, that takes away from into pacm the Indo pa the pay com commander won't like to hear that, Admiral Paparo, but the reality is, you know, that's probably a more likely scenario than pulling through another carrier too fast in the cycle to get a second one out of either San Diego or Norfolk. So one will normally rotate out from San Diego Norfolk, the one from Yukuska that gets the two that are there home after eight eight months, ten months, whatever it is. And then and then the other thing, though, Hugh, is the destroyers. That not just the destroyers that go with the carrier, but the extra destroyers we need. We're maintaining eighteen to seventeen eighteen destroyers in the San Kame area of responsibility. That's a lot of destroyers where we're and we have six you know, extra fighter squadrons from the Air Force there. We've got to rotate those as well, but we've got it. They do extended deployments. They then rotate and you hope this is the final set of rotations.
Speaker 1: So, Admiral, when do you start worrying about your sailor. I'm sure you're worry about your sailors all the time, but when do you start worrying about their effectiveness as a fighting force in terms of deploy It seems to me even in World War Two, we didn't leave people out there for a year at a time.
Speaker 11: So it's interesting you usuld say that, and I'll just do the world who analogy real quick. People don't get this. Nimtz had two commanders, Halsey and Spruance. Famously, Halsey over aggressive, you know, tricked a few times by the Japanese. Spruance, the real star of the show, who was deliberate, thoughtful, and imposed as will.
Speaker 7: On the enemy in a gradual way. But he rotated them.
Speaker 11: The guys underneath, guys like my grandfather was a carry striker commander. Then they didn't rotate. They just stayed on station. Oh you know, these guys rotated every three months. Oh no, you know you were in for if you were a marine or a sailor or a soldier, it was you got the full the full meal, you know, and so they got it.
Speaker 7: So they were.
Speaker 11: But look, the real answer your question is, you know, I've done an eight month deployment. I thought, you know, around month seven or it usually expects six. You think about six. Your family planning is about six. You know, kids, births come, you know, a month or two after you get no, it's around month seven. You feel the stress around month eight. I've heard I've had friends do ten month deployments and they would tell you that at a ten month deployment there's a you know, there's a pervasive sense of you know, I wouldn't call it depression, but you know, there's there's stress, there's deep stress felt.
Speaker 1: And I wonder, I get two more questions they got to get in. Are there statistics on re enlistment of people who deploy that long?
Speaker 11: Yes, I don't know that we advertise them, but they're statistics.
Speaker 1: Okay, Last thing, we have a military course, but we've got paramilitary, We've got the CIA, and we've got special forces within the military that are military, but they do secret stuff. Do you think they're at work right now? Do you think the agency's just been sitting on the sidelines for the last six months.
Speaker 11: First of all, I have to say the most effective member of President Trump's cabinet is actually John Radcliffe, ahead of the CIA.
Speaker 7: I mean, I.
Speaker 11: Believe he's basically making sure Ukraine goes okay. He's worked hard here. They're working hard against China. They did a lot in the Latin America over both Venezuela and Cuba. The CIA's hard at work, and very specifically, and what you're asking is, the CIA is hard at work both assessing Iran and seeing how with operations they can negatively impact Iran. I don't I have to say, you know, Radcliffe has been the absolute star of the cabinet throughout the first eighteen months. I know people love Marco Rubio, but Radcliffe is a lot less press and a lot more bang.
Speaker 1: Well, there was a memo from a combatant commander's sub level saying we need ideas on what to do about Iran, and I believe the story was true. I think the memo was leaked. I was we got two minutes. Did that surprise you?
Speaker 7: Just to be so blunt? You know, we need to crowdsource some new ideas.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think it might have been from the sencom leadership itself.
Speaker 7: Look, I look, they need the crowdsource new ideas.
Speaker 11: You usually don't lay it out there quite so frankly, but maybe this is this is the twenty you know, the military of the twenty twenties is you got to you know, let everybody, you know, everybody participates. But the look, they knew they need new ideas we need to think about. Look, my new idea is an old idea. We should go to real convoy operations where ships transit with the merchant ships. That's one of the ideas I think. I think they've they've held back from it. I think the real issue they need to do is reset their risk tolerances and then do war gaming against that and say, look, if we relax our risk tolerances, take more risk, what could we achieve here? I think that's probably what's needed now. Well, hopefully they've been doing that over the last four months, in addition to finding new targets to hit in Iran.
Speaker 1: Admiral Mark Montgomery retired and I say, maybe always great to talk to you, senior fellow at the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies on the road, I have no idea where you are you could be in Ukraine or Taiwan or somewhere else. But thank you for spending time with me today, Admiral. I'll be right back in America. Don't go anywhere. Lots of election stuff happened, But we also had the president in Geneva, Ohio at the Patriot Games, and we've got Smug coming up to do some assessment of what was a magnificent bust on polling and whether or not we can believe anything that we read about any poll because I'm now I'm questioning, you know, for me once, shame on you. For me twice, shame on me. Do we believe any of this stuff? Or was it just that you don't make fun of Thanksgiving? Was it that simple? Stay tuned. If you've listened to this program for any length of time, you know I appreciate companies that deliver real value without unnecessary gimmicks. That's why please to recommend Consumer Cellular. They offer reliable nationwide coverage, outstanding customer service and plans. It simply makes sense. Right now, you can get a brand new five G phone and an unlimited everything rate plan for fifty nine dollars a month or even less. That's right, your low monthly price includes your new device and an unlimited talk, text and data plan with thirty six month easy pay financing. Choose the five G phone that's right for you, and when those thirty six months are up, you own the phone the company to unknown you. Here's an exclusive bonus for my listeners for a limited time. Use the promo code Hu fifty and you'll receive an additional fifty dollars off your service. Visit Consumer sailor dot Com slashhee today to find the right phone. Enjoy affordable wireless with an unlimited plan for fifty nine dollars a month or less. It's Consumer Sailor dot Com slashe and remember to use the promo code Hugh fifty to save an additional fifty dollars.
Speaker 9: It is finally time for a straightforward assess of the state of our nation.
Speaker 13: What happens when the institutions built to protect a liberty are accused of working against it. This weekend, Salem News Channels America two fifty film series presents Government Gangsters. Watch a hard hitting look at power, corruption and accountability in modern America Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern only on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to America, and who Hewart has promised Smug is an ass comfortably smug of the Ruthless Podcast. He is, of course, one of the great prognosticators of American politics. The Ruthless Podcast maybe the best political podcast in America. A lot of people are saying that, to quote Donald Donald Trump, a lot of people are saying that Smug. I have a question for the for the next time the Ruthless guys get together. You may have already laid down Thursday show, but maybe on Friday. When are we going to stop using these polls? They're off by twenty points in Wisconsin. Ye, they were off by double digits in Michigan the week before. And I've got you know, Cooper by seven over Watley. I don't believe that I got us off over Collins by nine. I don't believe that When are we going to stop using them?
Speaker 4: So I mean, thank you, first off for that very kind introduction, Hugh. I think this is going to be an entire election season where we get polls that are very far off. This is an ongoing pattern. It wasn't just last night. It's as you've seen primary so far. The poll has been way, way, way outside the margins of error. And I think that this shift that we saw in twenty twenty four the working class voters moving even more so towards President Trump. You saw black men moving towards President Trump. You saw Latinos going towards President Trump. This is a shifting electorate, like by the day, it's a shifting electorate. This is not who pollsters. They have to completely redo their sampling. They have to completely redo who they consider likely voters turning out, and they're going to have to do it fast because this Mitrim election is going.
Speaker 2: To be huge.
Speaker 1: It's eighty three days away now. Smull I was on with John Roberts, our friend, earlier this afternoon, and he asked me about this, and I my amateur. I don't know anything about pulling. I can barely spell polling. But I'm going to look for the professionals on the Ruthless podcast to tell me about polling, because that's what you guys do. But my guess is lefties love to talk at length to whoever calls them up because nobody calls them up. So I don't answer the phone if I don't know who it is. And I don't know if you're that way, but I think people who are inclined to talk to pollsters are going to skew way left. They're lonely, they got nobody to talk to. What do you think about it?
Speaker 4: So that has also been one of the greatest challenges currently in polling is first you heard maybe about eight eight years ago, this shift of doing a lot fewer landline calls for polling and trying to do more mobile. The challenge there is no one wants to answer the cell phone, and if they don't recognize the number, I get probably twenty spam calls a day.
Speaker 2: At this point.
Speaker 4: It's obnoxious, it's out of control. If I don't recognize the number, I'm not going to answer. That presents a challenge for polsters. What if I am a highly likely voter in a primary, as I'm going to be, and they can't get a hold of me. They're increasingly trying to use online sampling, which also presents a number of challenges of are you going to get accurate information? Are you actually talking to the person who they claim to be online? It's pollsters are facing significant challenges.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now a couple of specific rises you are in North Carolinian. According to the most recent poll today ago, former Governor Cooper is seven points ahead of Michael Wattley. I don't believe that Tom Tillis was behind until the last weekend. What do you think about that number?
Speaker 4: So that's the thing is North Carolina at this point, it's a recurring theme. Cycle after cycle, broker, voters break right right at the end. You see it happen again and again. I do want to say, though, I want to caution all North Carolinians, this is going to be an incredibly, incredibly challenging race. The dynamics here where you have a former governor of North Carolina, one who is responsible for laying so many criminals out of prison during COVID, one who has a record that they're trying to run away from, but has that name ID because they've already won a statewide office. This is going to be a challenge. He's already established a voting base because he has one statewide in North Carolina, and he is trying to coast off of just name ID.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: He does not want to run on his record. He doesn't speak about his record, He doesn't talk about any of his many accomplishments like letting criminals out of prison who went on to commit crimes yet again, to murder people, to do horrible things, and he is trying to appear as a moderate. That's also going to be a recurring theme. We can't take that for granted. We can't take that North Carolina breaks right right at the end. We need to make sure we do everything possible to get Waltley elected.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go up North. Mister Holmes is not with us today, but you'll talk to him this week. His state is nominated at Peggy Flan again, who has appeared in full burka. Right, she does the coseplay with practicing Muslim women who are very, very devout. Do you think that she's gonna actually pull it off a Minnesota against Michelle Tafoya, NFL sideline reporter.
Speaker 4: So this, this is the thing, is you have a great dynamic where Michelle Tafoya is a tremendous candidate. Great candidates, has a great reputation. Folks know her and trust her from seeing her on TV from the time that they spent So she's a reliable person that folks have known for a long time. That's helpful, especially when you're building name id running against a crazy you know, lefty is also very helpful because that Peggy funny is not in step with what voters in Minnesota want. However, Minnesota is another one of these states has been rapidly changing demographically, which has been rapidly shifting further and further to the left. You saw, excuse me, you saw how many people were out there in the streets essentially fighting law enforcement. And you saw those cities burn the summer of twenty twenty during the George flood riots. Minnesota, you know, has kind of lost touch with reality in terms of who they're electing. Should another race, It's gonna be a tough one.
Speaker 1: Should we just give it to Canada? Give up?
Speaker 4: Would I would entertain specific trades for Canada.
Speaker 1: Swe I'll close with l said in Michigan because he's the most dangerous man in election twenty twe You know, one guy can threw up the Senate. One guy can stop every nomination in the military, one guy can stop any bill, any nomination. He hates football. He thinks football has got toxic masculinity. Can that possibly work? And that like hating Thanksgiving? In Wisconsin, heying Michigan football.
Speaker 4: It's one hundred percent of the same thing, and it's anti im Americanism. That's what's the heart of this movement is its resentment. It's anti America, it's anti Western civilization. It's trying to do a smash and grab of an America that took two hundred and fifty years to build, but that very quickly can be torn apart if we let these cycle paths into power.
Speaker 1: Very well put a smash and grab on our two hundred fifty years of heritage. Good to see. If smug will be listening to Ruthless podcast on Thursday and Friday, do not forget to like and subscribe. If you wish to opine and go to it. Sign up for it. You'll enjoy it three times a week and follow smugg it comfortably. Smug on It