Speaker 1: Life Audio Dennis Dennis Jennis Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: Do you have a question you've always wanted to ask Dennis Praguer. Well, now it's your opportunity for upcoming Ask Me Anything episodes of Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. We're inviting you to leave Dennis a voicemail. He'll personally answer selected questions, and your question could be featured on a future episode. Whether it's about faith, morality, politics, history, relationships, happiness, or simply navigating life, Dennis would love to hear from you. Just call eight seven seven two four three seven seven seven six and.
Speaker 1: Leave your question.
Speaker 2: Oh and be sure to include your first name and where you're calling from. That's eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six. While we can't feature every question, Dennis will listen to every voicemail. So call today you may hear Dennis Prager answering your question on an upcoming episode of Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. And thanks for listening and support. Dennis Prager on today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 3: You know, when I think about my stuff, I think in terms of Ecclesiastes. There's nothing new under the Sun. I'm just a guy who's articulating timeless principles, one of which is that denial self denial is good for the soul. And a child learns to deny himself by being denied. And the very unfortunate thing is that today's parents don't deny vitamin end being no the most character building a two letter word in the English language. And today's kids are not being denied. The temper tantrums that young people are throwing all over America because what they wanted to happen didn't happen.
Speaker 2: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles, go to Dennisprager dot com.
Speaker 1: Hi, everybody, I'm Dennis Prager. Welcome to my show. I have on a man whom I respect greatly. I don't remember when I first came across his work, but it was a great moment because the man has the one of the rarest. What is rare. Let's see, courage is rare, Intellectual honesty is rare, and wisdom is rare, and he has I think he has all three, but it's the wisdom that I'm really focusing on. He's John Rosemond, family psychologist, and who has a column and who's written fourteen books. I believe he's now working on one on the children and in Madagascar. His runout of topics after fourteen and so he's really now pretty much concentrating on micro subjects. You know, that's right? Oh? Is that right? Is that what you're oh you mean in suburban and suburban Madagascar? Right? You know, thank you, thank you. You know. I just want you to know. This is a sort of tactic of mine to see if the person I'm about to interview was listening, I throw in some absurdity and if there's no reaction, I know, oh this is this is going to be a problem interview anyway. Yeah, that's right, exactly, that's right. Checking his email exactly. This is John Rosemond. And John Rosemond has the latest pro university video and he uh, it's already one and a half million views in two days or three days? What I guess it goes up Monday, So I guess it's three days, two and a half days and then even I try to be precise, and sometimes it trus people and it's is your child getting enough vitamin N? And I want to just tell you, folks, because I I think you'll find this of interest, John, you will find this of interest. There is I am a religious person, and in Judaism, there is a very famous statement in the Talmud, the second holiest work after the Bible, and that is that whoever cites a source brings redemption to the world. It's a beautiful phrase because it says you, wist all, you must never take credit for something that you don't own. So I have cited vitamin N in almost every speech I have given about children, and of course every single time I say from this is from doctor John Rosemond. I just want I want you to know that, I want the audience to know that because I consider it a brilliant insight. Vitamin N. Well, you tell everybody what's vitamin N.
Speaker 3: Well. First of all, Dennis, you honor me and you humble me at the same time. I'm so grateful for what for our friendship. I mean, I really and truly am. You've been an inspiration to.
Speaker 1: Me and it's.
Speaker 3: An honor to know that I've been a source if you will for.
Speaker 1: You a mutual way.
Speaker 3: You know, when I think about my stuff, I think in terms of Ecclesiastes. There's nothing new under the sun. I'm just a guy who's articulating timeless principles, one of which is that denial self denial is good for the soul. And a child learns to deny himself by being denied. And the very unfortunate thing is that today's parents don't deny vitamin end being no the most character building a two letter word in the English language, and today's kids are not being denied. And to tie this into current events, as I was thinking about the show, I was thinking in terms of the temper tantrums that young people are throwing all over America because what they wanted to happen didn't happen.
Speaker 1: Exactly right. It's totally tied into your theme, the video, and your general theme. Oh it didn't go my way, and I will have a temper tantrum. Now. I want to ask you a question, because this, to me is as interesting as the concept itself. When I grew up, and I believe that I represent most people of the baby boomer generation. Although that may not be true. Now that certainly my parents' generation and every generation before them, let's start with my parents. Don't telling a child no was natural to parents? It stopped being So what happened, Well.
Speaker 3: I think it was not only natural. I think it was something parents understood to be an obligation because these parents, prior to the psychological parenting era which began in the mid nineteen sixties, had what I call a wide angle view of parenting Dennis. They understood that their obligation was not just to the child, which is what today's parents believed. Parents in our parents generation, to some degree, although it had become considerably diluted and weakened by the time we began having children, understood that proper parenting is an act of love for your neighborhood. And they understood, as a consequence of that wide angle view, that they had an obligation to send out into the world, into the community first, and into the world children who were accepting of reality. One such reality being as articulated by the great twentieth century philosopher Mick Jagger, you can't always get what you want, and so yeah, it was felt as an obligation that you tell your child no, because this was a reality of life. And furthermore, it was understood that this is the way you produce a well socialized, highly motivated individual opened to understand such thing as a valid, entitled right.
Speaker 1: What happened.
Speaker 3: What happened is that the nineteen sixties came along, during which time we became a progressive postmodern culture, and the psychological community, the new parenting experts began manufacturing these neu veaux postmodern parenting memes, one of which is that children have a right to express their feelings freely. And so, for the first time in parenting, in any generation, in any culture, parents began to believe that children's emotional outbursts had meaning.
Speaker 1: And when I want, I want, I want that to sink in to my audience. There are times when I visualize what a person is saying and I'm thinking, are people understanding that this would come in italics? So why don't you say that again? For the first time? People? I mean, let me repeat it, so why I can memorize it. For the first time, parents started believing that children's children's.
Speaker 3: Anti emotional outright had meaning, meaning, so right that they that they had some sort of valid content that needed to be deciphered. And so the what was previously, as we are told in the Bible and Proverbs, thought to be nothing but emanations of the foolishness bound in the heart of the child, was suddenly given credence. And you know, one of the questions I asked my audiences is this, raise your hand if when you make a decision that your child doesn't like, and your child reacts very emotionally too, you believe that on the basis of your child's emotional reaction, you may have made the wrong decision. And it was amazing, Denis, I would say, my audiences, and that's a conservative estimate. Hand, And this is what's happened to American parenting since ironically, American parents began listening to people like me, people with capital letters after their names, tell them how to raise kids.
Speaker 1: Well, that's part of my that buttresses my belief that college makes you stupid and graduate school makes you stupider.
Speaker 3: Because I heard an interview yesterday with somebody I forget who it was, who said, how can these universities be so stupid? You know, you pay all this money to go to these places that make you dumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is exactly right. I'm speaking everybody to John Rosemond, the nationally famous and for Rolino, internationally famous family psychologist. He has many terrific books. You should absolutely look at them and hopefully get some of them. In any event. His video is the late Praguer University course Is your Child Getting Enough Vitamin N? Is a rare opportunity for you to talk to him if you'd like to call. This is how children should be raised for their sake, for your sake, and for society's sake. You are listening to the Dennis Praguer Show one eight Praguer seven seven six.
Speaker 2: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 1: I'm speaking to John Rosemond, one of my favorite people and a magnificent why psychologist. His video is up on at Prague University. Is your Child Getting Enough Vitamin N? Vitamin N is his terrific term for the word no. I was watching yesterday and in passing, I don't get to see much TV, but it was on the family kitchen and the Little TV and Bill O'Reilly had two students on from two different universities and after they were talking about all of the protests and what they're about. He asked each of them, one female, one male, and he said, so are you for open borders? And the female says, I have no comment and the male, oh, he was from Tufts. I don't remember where she was from. And the male said, I let's see. She said, I don't wish to comment on that, and he said, well, you know what, I really haven't studied the issue. So they're complaining about cracking down on illegal immigration, but they won't say what their position is on open borders. I can't. I can't. It's like I want to talk to you about what two and two is, but I won't talk to you about one and one is. And I I just thought you'd find that interesting. It is it is all. It's all emotion, and I think it's rooted in the not being told no, your emotions can't direct your life any thoughts.
Speaker 3: That's romanticism come to full flower. The individual being driven by feelings, and the the and the feelings are are such that they can't even explain them. They can't articulate why they feel the way that they do. They just feel the way that they do. And they have a right to feel the way that they do and so, but.
Speaker 1: I don't have a right to say you're wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, and and any evidence to the current because Dennis, as you well know, I'm the the When you are driven by emotion, you are by definition not intellectually honest. And it doesn't matter to this generation of young people with the facts are. They're not even interested in the facts. That's why, in my estimation, the girl has no opinion and the guy hasn't studied the issue enough. But they'll get out in the street and they'll scream and yell about the fact that Donald Trump is not for open borders. But they don't understand the issue at all. It's just another opportunity to vent their sacred emotions.
Speaker 1: Life is not ideal, and I will have a temper tantrum.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But to this generation, this generation has been nurtured in a way that causes them to believe that life has no meaning if life has no soap opera. And so this generation of young people takes every opportunity to manufacture personal soap operas, collective soap operas out of the mundane.
Speaker 1: That's so true. It's the drama Queen generation produced by the parents and by the culture. There are so many people who have questions for you. And since it's so rare to get to have this opportunity for people, I'm going to go to some calls that okay, okay, So again I have the family psychologist John Rosemond on and we'll be go to Los Angeles and Miriam, Miriam High, Dennis Prager and John rosemond.
Speaker 3: Hello, Miriam, show a lot and mister Rosemont, I.
Speaker 4: Saw your video, write him an end. I showed it to my husband the other night because he believes, you know, if we should provide the technology and whatever, you know, the kids need to you know, excel in school and then we can't give them everything all the time. So I showed him the video and lo and behold. This morning we had a disagreement because I find out that he gave my kids a dollar to make their bed. And I was so upset about it, and I said, didn't we just like I showed you this video and you know, it made so much sense, and you know, I just want to get a different perspective, am I am? I upset to be wrong at him. You know, I don't believe he said, Oh I like to reward good behavior. And they said, I'm not responsibility. That's their duty. It's not you know, they're not supposed to get cheap from making their bed. He's like, yeah, but it was just a dollar.
Speaker 1: I think it doesn't matter, all right, love it. I'm very I'm as curious as you are to hear John Rosemand's response.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, but I hate to take sides in these family disputes, Miriam. But it's more than an issue of responsibility. It's an issue of obligation. And that's what today's kids are not being taught within their families, is any sense of obligation to their parents or their families. And your husband's very well intentioned behavior is an example of that. I was speaking to I was in Hawaii about a year ago, and I was doing a workshop and a fella came up and introduced himself as a submarine commander, and he said, John, this entitlement attitude has even infected the military at the level of submarine command, which is the most demanding of all military jobs. That's arguable, but it's probably probably true. And he said this, these young people who qualify for submarine work, they don't understand that they have been given a privilege. I tell them to do something and they basically ask me, what am I going to get if I do it?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Wow, this is the biggest problem I deal with in submarine.
Speaker 1: His answer should be you get to stay on the submarine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what you get the submarine precisely. But isn't that mind blowing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Now that is where did you hear this.
Speaker 3: In Hawaii from a submarine?
Speaker 1: Com Oh? I see? Okay, great? Are you were speaking? Are your workshop in Hawaii? Yeah? All right, I want to I want to bounce off the theory. Well, I asked you why this is happening, and your answer was superb And I agree. Is another possibility, and we just take a break and then we'll hear your response. Is another possibility that parents want to be loved by their children at every moment of their lives. We shall be back. I'm speaking to the psychologist John Rosemond. His video course is up at pre University.
Speaker 2: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 1: Well, I have the man on in that in not even three days, they got a million and a half views, on YouTube and Facebook and it'll go into the millions, and as it should. If every parent saw this, we would have a better America and a better world. Vitamin N is the word no, and it's the one vitamin kids don't seem to be good, and it's been at least a generation. So I asked you a question, and then, by the way, I want to I want to comment on Miriam's call about the paying for the kid a dollar to make the bed. But I wanted you to respond to this when I asked you why this has happened, the coddling, and you gave this excellent response about needing to validate every emotional outburst. So is another possibility that parents want to be loved too much and too consistently?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's not. I would I'm not disagreeing with that.
Speaker 1: Oh you can. By the way, I don't know. I just want you to Okay, okay, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I know I can, but I'm not. I just want to make that clearer proactively that I would change the word to like because I think there is a substantial difference. I think that today's parents want to be liked by their kids. And one of the things that I talk about quite often in my books, newspaper column and public President Asians is that over the last fifty years, since we began listening to psychologists tell us how to raise kids, and this is largely an artifact of a psychological parenting paradigm, parents have substituted the desire for relationship with their children for the obligation to provide leadership to their children. They don't understand anymore that proper parenting is an active leadership. They believe now that it's an active relationship. And as a consequence of this, Dennis, the norm in American parenting, especially in the mother child relationship, has become codependency Today's parents when there's no emotional boundary between parent and child, and especially mother and child, when the child feels something, the mother feels it. The child fails the mother she feels that she has failed. The child is bullied, the mother feels that she's been bullied, the child gets upset about something, the mother feels that herself to be in a state of angst. And so the consequence of this is that there is lacking in the life of the average American child, someone who will represent reality correctly to the child someone who will say, when the child has a inappropriate emotional outburst, which ninety percent of children's emotional outbursts are inappropriate, that this is ridiculous, This has no bearing on anything, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. You and I are members of the last generation of American parents of American children, whose parents felt the obligation to discipline not only our behavior, but to discipline our thoughts and our emotions as well. And today's parents only you know, there's another topic entirely, but they think of discipline strictly in terms of behavior, and so today's children don't think straight and they don't feel straight either.
Speaker 1: That's so fascinating. I tell people, they say, where does you learn how to speak? And you know, because people, at least people, well many people, obviously not all, but many people feel that I have a lot of clarity in my thoughts. I do believe I do, and I think it's both a gift from God or nature. And I also believe that I learned it at the table at the dinner table in my house where I was the youngest of the two boys by six years, and they didn't care if I said something incoherent. They said, what are you talking about? That's nonsense? And so I got, at a very early age a voice in me saying, is that nonsense? Did you just say nonsense? So I could? I so understand what you said. I just want to return to Miriam's point on the dollar for making the bed. One possible response I would think is also in addition to yours, is because I want as you pointed out, the father the husband has only goodwill here. But one possibility is that I'll give you a dollar for making the bed, and you pay for the food. I'm obligated to feed you. You're obligated to make your bed. We'll get John Rosebud's response in a moment.
Speaker 2: Are you enjoying timeless wisdom?
Speaker 1: We'd love to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Call eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six and leave a review, share your thoughts, or just even an encouraging word for Dennis. Your voicemail might just make it on the show. That's eight seven seven two four three seventy seven seventy six. That's eight seven seven two four three triple seven six. Thanks for listening and for your support.
Speaker 1: My guest is the terrific. John Rosemond, the family psychologist, gives these seminars around America and he as the latest prig University course up as your child getting enough Vitamin N that's the word. No. So I had raised the issue of perhaps saying, well, if we pay you for making your bed, you pay us for room and board, because as a way of explaining to the kid. Although from your perspective, and I agree with you in explanations I assume are not always necessary, this is what you do. You have a bed, make it. But nevertheless, it would be an interesting way of explaining I have obligations to you, and you have obligations to the family. Is that fair?
Speaker 3: Today's parents they lack confidence in the legitimacy of their authority, Dennis. That's why they don't feel that they have the right, if you will, to tell their children this is what you're going to do. And then when the child asks why, answer with because I said so, you don't need another explanation. You're on the dole here. I pay for your life. I am not obligated to justify any decision that I make in your life. I am not oblige gated to justify any instruction I give you. And you know, parents say, oh, that's mean, that's say you know, that's heartless. I say, it's very, very traditional. And the interesting thing is that the mental health of children who heard that our generation, Dennis, is statistically ten times better than the mental health of today's kids who don't hear that. So I'm not saying our mental health as children was entirely dependent upon because I said so. But I am saying that it was dependent largely upon a clarity that existed in our relationships with our parents and other adult authority figures during our childhoods.
Speaker 1: Milwaukee lacking today, Yes, totally, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Vince Hi, Vince, you're on with Dennis Pragrin, John Rosemond.
Speaker 5: High Well, I would even like to know how the doctor would recommend countering behaviors like this when when you're dealing with the situation where somebody has told the child that they have anxieties and dealing with their issues like that, how do you you know the things that are used as an excuse and so I like to hang out and listen to hear them.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know who it is that's told your child since that he has anxieties, but this is. I mean, you know, there are certain anxieties that are legitimate. Certain anxieties are the results of legitimate trauma, etc. Etcetera, etcetera. I use the word legitimate because a lot of what is a lot of what people and especially young people are claiming to be traumatic, is by historical, traditional rational standards, not traumatic at all. It's just that we raised the generation of children who have no emotional resiliency.
Speaker 1: But forgive me, that's why they have safe rooms at colleges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why they're giving them therapy dogs and letting them curl up in corners and suck their thumbs collectively, and so on and so forth. It's just absurd what has happened to today's kids, and tragic at the same time. I mean, you know, a lot of what I talk about when I talk about today's kids can be interpreted as criticisms, and really, I'm not criticizing today's children. I'm trying to help American parents understand that our obligation to God and America is to raise competent human beings, and competency is largely a fact not of your IQ. It's a largely a function of your emotional resiliency and the manufacturing of personal soap operas such as I Have Test anxiety is rampant in American youth culture today. You know, I hear this. You know my child has test anxiety. I had to pass a written exam on the United States Constitution in the eighth grade in order to go to high school. I mean, talk about test anxiety. Today's kids don't understand what test anxiety is. You know, anything that provokes a little distress is suddenly a reason to go to a therapist. It's it's absurd.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think of distress parents as a vaccine. It's a it's a it's a. I think it's an analogy that works for me. And in any event, all right, let's say, let's go on. Let me let me summarize some calls and callers. Please forgive me. I'll try to get to somebody, get more done if I do this. So let's see. Aaron in Los Angeles makes it, I think a very important point in such a wealthy society that people find it harder to say no to kids they already have so much. Any thoughts on the affluent society.
Speaker 3: Well, it's but it's not just affluence. Dennis, it's what you raised earlier, and that is that today's parents, you know, number one, they want relationship with their children. And you know, another way of looking at this is that they have no long term vision. It's very interesting when I ask parents to write down ten word and phrase description of the adult they want their child to be when their child is thirty years old. They always write down things like emotionally resilient, compassionate, responsible, you know, good sense of work essays, et cetera, et cetera. But when I ask, what have you done specifically purposefully in the last week to promote anything?
Speaker 1: Oh good, I want to hear that this is this is awesome. John Rosemond, my guest, back in a moment.
Speaker 2: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 1: I could have John rosemand on for all three hours and then do it again tomorrow and then the next day. The only problem is he's going to send me a bill.
Speaker 3: I would not do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, good, I'm glad you. No, no, no, that was important that I would love it too. John Rosemond, his books should all be read, and his video is up this week, and of course obviously forever at the pre university dot com and it's already past the million and a half years. And I believe it's a moral obligation for people to have people raising children. See it, anyway, you have this brilliant thing that you were just saying. Almost everything you say is so sharply focused. So you ask parents, why would you like your child to be at thirty? And then you ask them, so, what have you done this week in order to foster that? Is that correct? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I'm trying to illustrate to them that intuitively, they really do want to raise their children according to what we are told, what God tells us in Deuteronomy chapter six, Versus six and seven, to paraphrase, that it's all about your child's character. I tell parents all the time, Dennis. God does not care what your child's grades are in school. God does not care how many trophies your child wins on the athletic field, care what college your child goes to. God wants you to raise children who love him, and that is all about character. And I tell people, you know, there are two two pressing obligations, and the raising of a child. One is to honor God and the others, to make America a better place. And so as part of this, this whole diatribe that I do, this whole exercise, I have people write down a ten word and phrase description of the adult they want their child to be when their child is thirty. And interestingly enough, every descriptor is a descriptor of character. Nobody puts in there. I want my child to be the governor of California.
Speaker 1: Or brilliant nobody, or even brilliant, or.
Speaker 3: Even brilliant, nobody puts that down. It's all character. And I say, okay, now now that you understand what your job is, and you understand that, you intuitively know what your job is, visa this exercise. Write down something. I give you five minutes. Tell me one thing you have done purposefully intentionally to promote any of these character values in the last week.
Speaker 1: All right, we got to leave it at that. That's awesome.
Speaker 3: We can't do it.
Speaker 1: That's right, That's exactly right. See his video, Go to his website. It's at Dennisprager dot com. You see his website, read his books. I give you a big hug, sir, I'm a big thank you, thank you, so much. Please see the video and give your child vitamin.
Speaker 2: End tomorrow on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: The missing tile syndrome is when we focus on the one thing we don't have. No matter how much you have, you focus on what is missing. I do too. By the way, it's not when I say you, I am a member of this group of humanity if folks, if I didn't have these issues, I couldn't have written my book. That book was as much about me as it is about you. The only difference is I've thought it through and I have tried to put these principles into practice, and they work.
Speaker 2: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Denispragger dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses, and classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.