Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College. All Things hillsdalet Hillsdale dot ed or. I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there and of course a listener to the Hillsdale Dialogues, all of them at q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple iTunes and Hilldale Born in Glory and evening Grace, America. Good Thursday to you. I am Hugh Hewett. I want to say a load of my c SPAN audience this week. C SPAN has been running an interesting experiment Stephanie Miller three hours earlier today. She is a leftist. I am on the right, and so she Span. It's sort of like Morning, their morning program where they have the lines they're dedicated for the left people on the line dedicated for the right people. And I've known Stephanie and like Stephanie and gotten along with her since we worked together at KFI in the early nineteen nineties. Been a broadcast professional since nineteen ninety. I'm also a law professor at Chapman University School of Law in Orange County, California, and I'm here today to help you see SPAN people. What we do at Salem Media, both on the Salem Radio Broadcast Indicative Network, which is a bunch of Salem owned and operated station one hundreds of radio affiliates as well and on the Salem News Channel, which is available on every fast TV platform you can think of, Roku, Pluto, Amazon, Samsung, as well as at s NC dot tv and at Hughewitt dot com. I also have a podcast, How They Concentrated Hugh, which I'd like you to like and subscribe to. I have a YouTube channel, Hugh hewittt YouTube. I put my best interviews over there. I want to begin today by talking a little bit about what the Democrats have done, because it'll be a theme throughout the program today. Given the Miranda Divine call him on what John ossoff slander of Natalie Harp has done, which is make Georgia competitive race, it broke through to the wrong people. Normal Georgians look up and said, why did John Osoff imply that this hard working young woman whose life was saved by the right to try and as an event, Jellico Christian and loves Donald Trump in an administration? Why did John Osoff imply that she was having an affair with Donald Trump? And that's because John Osoff was attacking Donald Trump. She was collateral damage. Didn't matter, but you know what, it did matter. America doesn't like that. They know that Donald Trump punches hard and heyone punches it him. They know he's got his own standards. They know he has his own unique style and it defends a lot of people. But they don't believe in attacking his staff attack Donald Trump. Osoff didn't do that. He attacked Natalie Harp, an innocent woman that I have a daughter, I have granddaughters. I do not want them and to have their character in pune by political actors if they happen to work for an executive who has them working a lot of hours. Natalie Harp works around the clock, been working hard this week. For example on the East Wing case, she works hard. I only deal with Nalie via text when I want the president on the radio program, on the television show, I texted Natalie. She gets the ball rolling if it's going to work and hands it off to the comms team. But she's always always on and always always working, and she's great at it. And Washington Media took out a previous personal assessant to the President madelon Westernhouse. I knew Madeline two, and I think they like to pick on young women, legacy media and Democrat candidates. And I repeat myself. But John Ossoff More on that later. But John Ossoff is one of eight candidates Democrats have nominated this year. I want to make sure you know them all. We've got Angie Nixon in Florida, hard left, Peggy Flanning in Minnesota, hard left, Abdua lsi Ed hardest left up in Michigan, James tul Rica weird and left in Texas, Troy Jackson hard left in Minnesota. Roy Cooper pretends to be not hard left, but is hard left, soft on crime, soft and immigration, shared brown, old and hard left infirm like Joe Biden and hard left in Ohio. And John Ossoff beij basically and nobody from no where. And he had to get some attention because he thinks he can run for president, so he tried to get some attentions blown up in his hands. And they know it because if you say anything about it online, all the left wing trolls come out, all the apparatricks that left, the aging aperatricks that the left come out and defend John Assaf, doesn't work, doesn't work America saw America. I heard America Judge John Ossaf. But where do we now? We know all of these people by what Angie Nixon and I'll do lsay Ed tells us about them. Here's Angie Nixon at the Clay County Speaks podcast with Daniel Marie Foster. Cutdamber one, what.
Speaker 2: Is your opinion on specific democratic reforms such as abolishing the electoral college, abolishing the filibuster, allowing non party affiliated voters to participate in primary primary elections, implementing different voting systems like rank choice voting.
Speaker 3: You can break it down, so obolsol college.
Speaker 1: I'm fine with it. I would leave in a I believe one vote, one person, and yes that's enough for that cut. She wants to repel the constitution. We're not getting really electoral college because it's not happening. It's a constitutional amendment. So either she's not smart or she's a radical. Cut number two with Danny Marie Foster.
Speaker 4: You gotta get these you gotta close these corporate text loopholes.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 5: You have to put the DEI policies.
Speaker 6: Back in.
Speaker 1: De I back there you go again DSA candidate represents all these Senate candidates. I talked about Angie Nixon on Midas Touch, this time with Katie Fang, Cut number three.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking.
Speaker 7: Forward to going to Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: To provide every day hardworking people with some relief after we work to you know, impeach and I vote to remove Donald Trump and wet there you go. Uh, she doesn't get to vote to impeach. She's a member of the Senate. She can vote to remove and convict. She doesn't know that. I don't think it's going on to cut number five. Angie Nixon on MS Now with Simone Sanders, talking about her decision recently to join the dsay the cult of revolutionary sort of French revolutionary fanatics inside the Democratic Party that has taken over this cycle. Cut number five.
Speaker 4: Did you join DSA? Is it about the organizing capacity and less about the issues? Because even today, like Republicans across the country, but especially the Republican Senate Campaign Committee, they are coming out hitting you as a socialist. It's not aligned with Florida values. But the answer you're giving today makes me feel like it is not about the socialists, It's about the organizing capacity. Is that accurate? It's actually yeah, no, it's actually about the issues that they care about the most.
Speaker 3: Right and DSA. They didn't help me on my campaign, they didn't endorse me.
Speaker 1: What issue they care about the most. They hate the United States Constitution. They're on record. I play that for you today. They want to get rid of the Senate, they want to get rid of the electoral college. They hate the United States way of government. They want centralized government. They want a dictatorship. That's where it always ends up with French revolutionaries. Let me jump down to abdu al Sayed campaigning at a presser yesterday, cut number ten. I mean, what do you just make it just happen there? If you guys saying you're in an arab you don't care about black pols. You know, I hate to say this, but I continue to hearing from older black folks and people like to some of that Sall's colleagues, somebody that they're uncommitted for you.
Speaker 8: You know, there's been an effort, I think, to divide people against each other, and unfortunately, you see that the consequence of that to tell us that some group or another group have to be counterposed because there's not enough for all of us. I am Arab, I'm also African. My family immigrated to this country from Egypt. I'm proud of my African heritage.
Speaker 1: All right. I just want to throw a flag here. He is from Egypt, his family is from Egypt. He's an Egyptian American. He's an American citizen born in the United States, no doubt about it. Muslim, that's fine. Egyptians don't often identify as blacks and as Africans. I don't think that's gonna work. The fact he's worried about this is because he did not pull well in the primary in the black precincts of Detroit, because they don't like him, because the radical leftists and black people want jobs in Michigan. They want Carks to come back. He hates the American Dream Cruise. He's actually just kind of a nut, like Angie King. Mike Rogers had this to say, he's running against mainstream Mike Rodgers. Mainstream Mike Rogers, mster down the middle, Michigan Republican cut number eleven.
Speaker 9: I advocate for a government takeover of health insurance because health insurance offers no value. What medicare for all does is it doesn't weigh with the private insurance market because instead of having a whole bunch of players, you have one day and that is the federal government.
Speaker 8: Medicare for All guarantees you a public health care plan and nhure private one.
Speaker 7: Medicare for All comes in in saggy.
Speaker 9: No more of this insurance.
Speaker 8: Than disc Reach one insurance, and that is the government of the United States.
Speaker 1: What you have is the state operating has your insurance.
Speaker 10: It is going to require taxes, and the question of how much of those taxes we would ask working Americans to pay.
Speaker 9: But I think it's important that from a political and company perspective that everybody pays a bid.
Speaker 1: In, everybody pays a bid in, and everybody loses their healthcare insurance and Medicare goes broken and serves seniors anymore. I'll said, it is just as radical as Angie King, who was just as radical as Troy Jackson, as Tallarrica is also weird, just as radical as Peggy Flanagan. I'll talk with Michelle Deefoye after the break, Just as radical as John Ossoff and the ethics of his scumbag. Roy Cooper pretends to be a moderate, not a moderate, soft on crime, soft on illegal immigration, shared brown, old and crazy.
Speaker 3: Up Mandis.
Speaker 1: Brook. I'm back America. I'm Hugh Hewett. I want to tell my Sea Span audience, especially about my next guest, Jim Garretty. If you take the Washington Post, look at him. There's my friend of me. He's reading about the Cleveland Browns because he's a Jets fan, and that's how he reads down. He gives himself hope by reading about the Cleveland Browns. Uh, let me give your Wall.
Speaker 5: Street Journal tells rock bottom quarterback competition, discussing Shadura Sanders and Deshaun By Anyway, we're not here to talk about that, and you know we're not.
Speaker 1: I will get you back, mister Jets fan. Let me tell the Sea Span audience about Jim. Jim is a weekly columnist for the Washington Post. Column appears on Tuesday in print on Wednesday. He is the Morning joelt editor at National Review, where he is their senior political writer. He is the host of the Monday through Friday podcast Three Martini Lunch. He is also on the Editor's podcast, which is usually on Tuesday. Sometimes he comes back as well at the end of the Week. The editor's podcast for National Review, the Morning Jolt, you should sign up for, and you should follow Jim at Jim Garrity dot com and listen to nothing that he says about the Browns because he's a paid assassin. Hates the Browns because they beat the Jets at every opportunity. Garrity, not many of them now, there aren't many of it. I call him the indispensable because he'd been on the program for more than twenty years, and we've been doing this shtick for twenty years. Jim, I want to start by asking you a very where do you think this election is going? Because the Republicans should get wiped out, but the Democrats are trying very hard with Angie Nixon and abduh Al Sayed and Peggy Flanagan and Troy Jackson and John ass Off and James tell Rico to keep the Republicans in the game. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The pessimistic take is that we are in for two thousand and six again. And I think it was last week when I was in this program where you mentioned how long we've been doing it, and I realized that, yes, I've been doing your program since before I had kids, and I dropped off my older one at college this week. And it's a science now how long we've been doing this. So I have I would say, have traumatic memories of two thousand and six, but I remember, you know, there was Bush had just been reelected. Iraq war was going badly, Katrina. I know, it's totally different because there were a bunch of Republican incumbents who were involved in sex scandals, Hugh, and as we all know, thankfully that's out of the system. We don't have to worry about that anymore. Mark Foley, you know, everything everything that could go wrong for Republicans did go wrong that cycle. And Republicans, I believe they lost off the top of I had thirty one House seats and.
Speaker 1: Did not lose the Senate though, oh yes they did lose the Senate. They did lose the Senate.
Speaker 5: But it was it was really rough year, right, and so my first thought was like, this could be like that. What does seem not crazy is to imagine that we end up with something akin to twenty twenty two, in which we were expecting Republicans to have this phenomenal year. Inflation had hit nine percent, people really upset about gas prices, people are really upset about the cost of living. Republicans did win control of the House, but by a pretty small margin, and I think they were expecting a lot more and did not win control of the Senate. And there was kind of this sense of like, well, Republicans had nominated a bunch of you know, fruitcake candidates who were just not you know, like the guy they had running against Shapiro in Pennsylvania. Like this year with Stacey Garrity is the first real statewide candidate Shapiro has had as a governor.
Speaker 7: Right, but he's still gonna win.
Speaker 5: That I shouldn't get anybody's hopes up. But like, she's running a real campaign, which is not something he had to deal with four years ago. So you look at this, there are enough fruitcake candidates on the Democratic side that they could leave some races on the table, and I think I dualized the It is probably example number one, Hugh. Have you noticed that the coverage of Abdul al Sayed in particularsno Fox News poll, but really in the last week or so in the mainstream media New York Times, NBC News, CNN, the tone is very much, well, this is going to be a good year for Democrats. But you know, Michigan might be the exception.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Part of its yes, he had this very divided Democratic primary. Some of is Mike Rogers is a better than average Republican candidate. But a lot of it is just that Abdul has a lot of baggage. And one of the things I wrote about this week you was that he's doing Labor Day weekend, this big Islamic Society of North America conference. I know it's going to shock you, but some of the speakers at this conference are controversial. Some of these speakers are not, you know, nice people. And if you're a dulas An you're running in a general election, the primary is over right you already If your name by itself is Abdul las A, people knew nothing else about you, you would still going to do very well amongst the Muslims who are voters in Michigan. Right, you have that demographic locked up. If elected, abduls A ed would be the first Muslim senator in the United States. I could hear everybody making Barack Obama jokes hahaha, right that It's one of those things where all say, yet has this demo, this demographic locked up, and yet he's spending part of it going to this conference associated with some rarely shady characters. So now the quest like this is not what any advisor would say. This is not the strategy which you say, Okay, it's a general election. You go to the middle, you go to the Apple Festival, you go to these non controversial non Look, I'm just like you, I'm normal, you know, all this kind of stuff, and he's not doing that, which, if you're a Democrat in Michigan, probably makes you nervous that he wants to run as exactly the same guy he was in the primary, and that's probably going to be a tougher sell than a you know, generic democrat. The Democrat runing against John James and the Gubernatoile race is running well ahead of him. So, like, was it this week when they had Democrats for Rogers? I mean, yeah, there are a bunch of Democrats who we look at this guy and say we can't liver for him.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you about door number two, Jim Garretty is Michelle Tafoya, who's coming up later this hour. Michelle is running in Minnesota, NFL sideline reporter. She's running against another DSA or Peggy Flanagan who cause plays as a fundamentalist Muslim woman dressed in full garb, and I think maybe that's and she's the lieutenant governor to Michael tim Walls, and I'm beginning to think they may have put that in play. I saw Poltay, She's down by four. And if we saw Ruffini this week, I'll give you the last two and a half minutes. Raffini said he did a backwards looking analysis of thirty years in August, especially the polling bias towards Democrats is in excessive five percent two minutes to you, Jim Garretty.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it's five percent, but I do believe it exists to some extent. You mentioned the three Martini Lunch, which I co host with Greg Corumbus Hugh. In the history of our program, which is now sixteen years, we have had eight guests. We don't do it very often. It has to be somebody who we think of is really special, somebody who's a big name, and somebody was willing to do it, which is you know, three really important criterias. I know you have like eight guests per hour, but Michelle Tafoya is one of those eight guests we've had in our history. And you know, if you're a Minnesota Republican, you want to have your best candidates on the field.
Speaker 7: You have your best candidate.
Speaker 5: And they avoided having mister my Pillow as their nominee in one state wide race and they have they have the state House speaker instead, and they have Michelle Tafoya. You know, look, it's a bluish purple state at best. It's never going to be easy for Republicans. But that's the best candidate you could get. Obviously, Michelle Tafoya is more than a natural on camera. I think she can, you know, has this great relatability in a way that your typical candidate doesn't.
Speaker 1: Did you have her on because she'd never been sent to a Jets game? Because the NFL was nice to her.
Speaker 5: She's been terrific in a bunch of Jet games here, but I don't know if she's ever been the Cleveland. We'll see, so ya my.
Speaker 1: Joke I got the last week, I got the harpoon in Garrity The Indispensable. You gotta follow the three Martini lunch, listen to the editors, sign up for the Morning Joelt over at National Review. It's a great morning newsletter. Follow Jim on exit Jim Garrity read him in the Washington Post if you're a subscriber every Tuesday or a print edition on Wednesday morning. Thank you, Jim. I'll tell Michelle Tafoya that you said nice things about her when she's coming up later in the hour. Don't go anywhere, America. I'm q Qwitt broke them back America. I'm Hugh Hewitt, joined by Michelle Tafoya, who's going to be the next United States Senator from Minnesota. Many people do not know this. Michelle is much more than an NFL sideline reporter for many years. She went to Berkeley, she got her MBA from USC, spent a Minnesota COLDI in for a long time. It's really smart cookie, Michelle. Congratulations on your primary win. I just saw it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: In August. August the shows you're within almost margin of air of Peggy Flannagan, who's this winger left wing nut. How do you feel about the race?
Speaker 11: Listen, we think that the primary results told us a lot about where Minnesota is. Our message is being heard, Hugh, and we're so happy about it. We've been working extremely hard since that primary ended. And look, I think the more people learn how tied Peggy Flanagan was to the fraud, to all of the just complete disruption in our state over the last twenty years that she's been in office getting a paycheck from the taxpayers, they start to understand she's been part of this. She can say, oh, it was the governor's fault, but she is right there at the center of it. They have been attached at the hip. That's when you start to see this pulling really change. One of the things you were excited about is among independents, we're leading by double digits. We think she's hit or her ceiling, and our ceiling is still well ahead of us.
Speaker 1: Well, Michelle Tafoya. One of the reasons I brought up your Edie location credentials at Berkeley and USC much as I hate USC as an Ohio state guy, I bring them up because Peggy does not strike me as the fifty one card deck sort of thing, not going to win the spelling Bee. Will you debate her? Will she agree to debate you? Because I bet you she won't come within a mile of you.
Speaker 11: That'll be interesting. I think we're scheduling debates. I absolutely want a debate. I want to hold her feet to the fire. I want to ask her why healthcare is diminished here in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: I want to ask her how young is too young for a child to get gender.
Speaker 11: Affirming care that involves, you know, an operation having body parts taken off. I want to ask her a lot of questions, but mostly I want to ask her what she was doing when all this fraud was happening, when people came to their offices, when whistleblowers were there, when Nick Shirley came to town and discovered the quality Leering Center, Where was she?
Speaker 3: What was she doing?
Speaker 11: And by the way, she was in charge while Tim Wallas was off running as the vice presidential nominee with Kamawa Harris, she was in charge. She cannot turn her back on her record. Her record is abysmal. I hope she'll debate us.
Speaker 1: So, Michelle, for decade, I would make the annual Minnesota State Fair. I love going there and broadcasting from there for AM twelve eighty, The Patriot, Our Deluthe Affiliate, and some of our other films. Are you going to be working the fair, good old style of Minnesota? Yeah? Do you like it?
Speaker 3: You better believe it, and I hope we see you. Are you coming?
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm coming this year, but you know I always remain open for a call from the minnesot Coldians. I like to help them out when it's fowed up there. So in terms of what will separate you, the fraud issue is number one. But does she know anything about national security? She hangs out with the radical DSA crowd, and I think that's not a winner even with some traditional democratic constituencies.
Speaker 11: I'll tell you a quick anecdote here and again this is anecdotal, but to me, it tells you where Minnesotans are starting to turn.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: A friend of mine is a conservative. She has a neighbor who is.
Speaker 11: A died in the wool Democrat. They never talk for obvious reasons, but this neighbor came to her door the other night, knocked at the door and said, Hi, I'm worried. I think my party has let me down. I'm wondering should I put a sign in my yard? Will you put a sign in your yard here?
Speaker 3: The people? I think that can help.
Speaker 11: Look, we feel a change here because when you look at the options between common sense and crazy with Flanagan, or Peggy fraud again as we like to call her, being the option, being the alternative to someone who has common sense, who wants law and order in Minnesota. And by the way, Hugh, I'm proud to say I was just endorsed by the Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association just this morning.
Speaker 3: We want that law and order.
Speaker 11: We want our kids to get an education not an indroctur nation. We want to make sure our sports are fair for our kids in high school and college. We want all of these things back that this current estate bablishment turned on its ear and Peggy Flanagan's not going to bring that, and we're going to continue to make that case over and over again.
Speaker 3: We hope people come visit us at the State Fair and learn more.
Speaker 1: Now you're you got to come out here. I got to talk to my friends over at AM twelve eighty the Patriots. Your ex account is at Michelle Underscore t Foya. What's your website so people can figure out you've had really quite a remarkable career.
Speaker 11: You're very kind. Listen, let me just make a quick note about that. It's Michelle Tafoya dot com. Michelle with one l Tafoya.
Speaker 3: Google it. I'm sure you'll get redirected.
Speaker 11: Look, as you mentioned, I spent over thirty years in sports journalism. I had a career, I had my education, I loved my career.
Speaker 3: I was very blessed you.
Speaker 11: I'm not in this because I'm desperate to become a politician. I am in this because I love my country. I love this state of Minnesota, and to watch it speeding one hundred miles per hour in the wrong direction over these past few years has been heartbreaking. And to see it happen because we've had single party rule. We gave them a shot, Hugh, we gave them their chance, and they failed. They absolutely failed. So other people have to come in now. Look, we have a crisis of leadership. People need to step up. I'm ready to do that for this state that I love and for this country that I love.
Speaker 1: And so last question, really in the weeds, have you seen help from people like the Senate Leadership pack and some of the outside groups and the Republican Party which cannot coordinate with you under the new Supreme Court rule.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been great.
Speaker 11: Well since I got in in January, the NRSC Tim Scott was one of the first people to endorse me, the Great Rudy Boschwitz here in Minnesota endorse me. I will be working with the Senate Leadership Funds starting next Monday. And so yes, we've had some just absolutely wonderful support in terms of fundraising, in terms of getting the message out. We can't wait to work with these people to continue to make things better. And as I've told all Minnesotans, I'm going to work for them, Hugh, Theirs is the endorsement that I care about most. I'm going to work for them. When I think the administration is right, I will say it. When I think they've made an.
Speaker 3: Error, I will say it.
Speaker 11: The last people I'm going to answer to are the Minnesotans who send me there. So let's go, let's take our Minnesota common sense with us and let's have some sober leadership with a spine back in the Senate.
Speaker 1: Well would that be a change for Minnesota. Michelle Tafoya dot com Michelle Tafoya dot com. If you want to follow on x it's Michelle Underscore Tafoya, but start at Michelle Tafoya dot com. Find out, especially if you're listening to me right now in Minnesota, and we cover most of the state. If you're listening to me right now in Minnesota, go sign up for a campaign. Being on a campaign is fun. Go get involved, volunteer, be part of the American democratic process. As boy, what a choice mainstream center right Republican or Peggy Fradigan. I like that, by the way, Michelle, that will stick Peggy Fradigan because of course Minnesota's epic fraudway this year, remain front of mine with many Gopher state voters. Thank you, Michelle Tafoya. I'll be right back, America, stay tuned you. Joined by our friend Vic Madis. Vic Maddis is with the Washington Free Beacon. He is the co host of the Getting Hammered podcast Vic. This week we are simulcasting with c SPAN two, so I want to tell them all about Getting Hammered in the Washington Free Beacon. And you I want you to fight through your impending depression over losing your son to college. I'm here to assure you that the empty nest is an illusion. They come back and back and back, and then they bring grandkids and they come back and back and back, so there's really nothing to be worried about. Thanks you.
Speaker 7: I think that's wonderful. It makes a lot of sense to me. I don't think it's.
Speaker 10: Going to make a lot of sense to my wife, however, no matter how many times I tell her that, And we will power through this. And this is something to be very proud about, that he's going off to college.
Speaker 7: And yet the emotions remain high.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 10: And I could just I can just feel everything is You're walking on thin ice right now, and it's you know, it's it's it's gonna break on Sunday. I talked to another former student who went to his college. Uh, and he said, you just wait for that convocation speech and there won't be a dry eye in the house.
Speaker 7: So I'm just I understand. I absolutely agree with you.
Speaker 10: And I look forward to, you know, seeing him when he comes back, you know, in Thanksgiving, which is only a couple months from now.
Speaker 7: And yet I'll be equipped with a box of tissues.
Speaker 1: You know, vick, I was the third of three boys. I think my parents threw me from a moving car at college. I think that's the difference between the first one living and the last one leaving is get out of here. We want to call clear out your rooms. But I understand now tell people about getting hammered, because we had we got a new audience. He spent two Did you ever get to know Brian Lamb, by the way, the remarkable Brian Lamb? You know what, No, I did not get a chance to know Brian Lamb.
Speaker 10: I'd been on Sea Span with Peter Slun many years ago, and I'm very yeah, and I'm very good friends with the one and only Howard Mortman Span, who is a yep, that's right, a terrific guy.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: And I've known him for many, many years.
Speaker 10: Uh, and so very excited that you were simulcasting on Sea Span at the moment, Hugh and getting hammered. Yes, it's a weekly podcast I do with Mary Catherine Ham, who many of you know from both doing your show as well, Hugh went on Fox.
Speaker 7: Uh, And of course we like to talk.
Speaker 10: About the news of the week, but sort of in a very morning approach. Although I think our motto is, you know, happy hours any hour, or something to that effect. I already forget what the phrase is, but we often say that we're underprepared and overcaffe ad, and that's kind of playing up the casualness. Just imagine us discussing the news in your kitchen table, are in the car with you. We're talking with you, not to you.
Speaker 1: And Jovick. There are two podcasts that The Fetching Missus Schuett, my wife of forty four years, and I both listen to. One is the Acquired podcast, which is unusual. It's about business. I like it because it explains businesses to me. The Fetching Missus Sewett likes it because it gets into the personalities of the people who start companies, entrepreneurial risk and things like that and getting hammered. Getting hammered meets both of our demos, and so I want to recommend that to people. But since we do have the c Span audience and it's a bookish audience. Lilac's this week called it the weather channel for smart people. Tell us about what it means to be the arts and culture editor for the Washington Freebeacon, which people can read it Freebeacon dot com.
Speaker 10: Well, it's a great job being the arts and culture editor of the Washington Freebeacon. I do a newsletter called The Weekend Beacon, and there we feature between four and five reviews, so I really cut it down a lot of places will offer. If you're a newspaper, you're doing fifteen to twenty, it becomes overwhelming and sometimes it's hard to keep up with reading that many reviews a week.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of news going on.
Speaker 10: The idea behind the Weekend Beacon is it's news that you want to read, not just news that you have to read, and it's at a leisurely pace. I'm going to select for you three or four really interesting books, oftentimes in eclectic collection, from not only books that are interesting, but a lot of the writers that you will love, whether it be Andy Ferguson or Dave Garrow or on occasion, Hugh Hewitt. And you're not to be disappointed. And we do movie reviews often from John Podd Hortz. I'm doing a series right now on the greatest movies of nineteen eighty six and we got a great one coming up this Sunday with John J.
Speaker 7: Miller on the Name of the Rose and Dave Garrow is the feature.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and Dave Garrow is the feature on a book called Nothing Left by Evan Barker, Confessions of Democratic Operative. You're going to find it really interesting and sign up for the newsletter at the Weekend Beacon. If you go to Freebeacon dot com. That's how you can find out.
Speaker 1: Now there are three places left that book reviews that I read, Wall Street Journal Commentary again and the Free Beacon. And it used to be that the Washington Post book review is fabulous. I used to trust the New York Times, but I even read the New York Review of Books, if you can believe it. I read the New Republic for book reviews. It's a dying space. Vic. Why is that? By the way, c span is the publishing industry's great at friend.
Speaker 7: That's right, and you're right, it's absolutely it's a dying It's a dying space. Really.
Speaker 10: I mean a lot of it has to do with the Internet and people's attention spans. I mean, you just see all these studies where people are not clearly as reading as much as they want to. And a lot of these places that had gone woke. You talk about Wolke one point zero. A lot of places decided that they were no longer interested in reviewing traditional books that are interesting for the mainstream. Instead, they were searching for books that they thought you needed to read to re educate yourself. And that's not what I do at the Weekend Beacon. I worked for twenty years at the Weekly Standard magazine. We ran about five or six reviews a week. So essentially I've imported that sensibility to the Weekend Beacon.
Speaker 7: And it's going to be books that you're gonna find interesting.
Speaker 10: And either it's books that you want to know about or you hadn't known, but we think you're gonna find really interesting or definitely word you away from certain books that might be very popular, but we're going to say, hey, you.
Speaker 7: Know this is bad news, don't waste your money. So and that's what we try to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to ask you about Spencer Claven, who was a first time guest yesterday. Has he crossed your radarre yet?
Speaker 10: You know, it's very funny if I were to show you my iPhone on my notes page. I have a number of things I need to do for the Weekend Beacon section, and one of them was to contact Spencer Claven because I'd love for him to write for my section as well. I've been adding some really interesting people lately.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 10: I think Kyle Smith I just brought on and he's the regular movie reviewer at the Journal. Lot of other serious folks coming on board. Uh so, just stay tuned clear Spencer.
Speaker 1: He has a really podcast. I haven't listened to it yesterday. I interviewed him for the first time in the program yesterday because he has a book out Away with Words, and he's a podcaster with Young Heretics and they're doing a six part series on Dante's Inferno. He's a PhD. Classes from Oxford Model in college, so a really smart guy. I'm very impressive on air. I thought, Okay, there's hope there there's another generation of book reading young writers out there. I do think there's help, do you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean there are still schools out there that I know certainly where you know, my son is headed, that's going to emphasize the importance of great books and a traditional.
Speaker 7: Classical liberal arts education.
Speaker 10: They're not going to be strictly about you know, stem and science stuff. That's gonna, you know, probably put them in a precarious position when they graduate because of the AI problem. They're going to go back to, you know, they're embracing the humanities. And I've just was reading articles about a lot of employers looking for people looking for young kids who are graduating who have a better knowledge on these things. So I mean that, uh, there is a glimmer of hope, but a lot of more, a lot more.
Speaker 7: Work has to be done here, all right.
Speaker 1: Believe a liberal arts education will always serve, It will always serve. Vic Matis follow him on exit, Victor Reno Mattis, Victor Reno Madis. Listen to like, and subscribe and rate the Getting Hammered podcast. Sign up for the Washington Free Beacons Weekend Freaking Weekend Beacon newsletter from Vic and read it every day at Freebeacon dot com. Thank you, Vic Madis. I'll be right back in America. Orting back America. I'm Hewett joined Guy Josh Crosshauer, Josh's editor in chief of Jewish Insider weekly guest on my program, Josh, I have been following the Abdul said Mike Rogers race with great interest. ABLA has made mistake after mistake, and it is behind in some polls and neck and neck and others. But I have seen, and I don't know how to judge, an effort by Jewish leaders in Michigan to rally around Mike Rogers. Is that widespread or is that a half dozen American Jews in a row. What is that?
Speaker 12: Well, there are a lot of Jewish voters in Michigan that are wary and probably will not vote for Abdul l sayed. If you had me guests on the percentages, now, I think over half of maybe well over half of the Jewish community will not cast a ballot for l sied. Now, will they vote for Mike Rodgers? Will actually take the full step to voting Republican? I think a lot will. I mean, you saw one of the leading rabbis in the Detroit area community, someone who actually happens to be Rama Manuel's. One of Rama Manuel's rabbis said he is endorsing Mike Rodgers and spoke very glowingly about him at a press conference this morning. But you know the overall number, I think you look at the primary numbers and seventy plus percent of Democratic Jewish precincts voted for him at Stevens and I think a lot of those same voters are probably gonna have a tough time supporting l.
Speaker 7: Sai ed in a general election.
Speaker 12: Especially against someone like Mike Rogers, who was a very mainstream record from his time in Congress.
Speaker 1: He's a mainstream moderate Republican from the middle of the country in Michigan. He spent fourteen years in Congress, state legislator before that, Army lieutenant FBI agent just to like the perfect candidate for Michigan, and he's a second time for the Senate. Meanwhile, I'll say it it's mac and Island the fourth of July. Thanks football is toxic and came out against the Woodward Car Carnival, the dream cruise with forty thousand cars in it. How many unforced eras does he get away with?
Speaker 13: Josh Croshe Well, the question is like what this is a national environment that's favorable to the Democrats, So the question is going to be how badly is l sa Ed going to perform.
Speaker 7: I think it's a given.
Speaker 12: You talk to any Democrat who thinks Elsaid is going to underperform. The ticket pretty decide. But if the governor candidate in that state, it's a close governor's race John James and Benson the Democrat running against each other. But if he underperforms by a little bit, then she can still win. If he underperforms by a historic amount, which is I think in the realm of possibility, I think he loses or he probably loses the number. To look at their two high quality polls that have come out, the Fox News poll bipartisan poll that that is the gold standard in the business, and also an ARP poll which is done by a top Republican and Democratic polster. Both of them showed one showed Rogers up by four, one showed Lsied up by one.
Speaker 1: But the number to look at, nine.
Speaker 12: Percent of Democrats in both those polls said that they were going to vote for Mike Rodgers.
Speaker 7: Rogers needs to get it.
Speaker 1: That's a large these days.
Speaker 12: That's a that's a title wave for about ten percent of Democrats to actually vote for a Republican. So keep an eye on that number. Though those two poles are among the best and the posters are among the best in the business. The thing that Rogers don't needs to worry about is the Independence. He's a little solid the low information voters, the people who are not attuned to the race. You know, Rogers is a smaller than expected lead in the Fox powle. He's actually losing with Independence in the in the ARP pole. So that is going to be the other big swing voting block where you know, because Elside is such an outsider and is so anti establishment. He's tapping into what he hopes is some of that independent vote, which I think with the ADS, and once the campaign gets underway, that could very well swing more to Rogers's direction.
Speaker 1: Now, Josh down to Florida where one of the twin Vindaman brothers got blown out by Angie Nixon, a DSA radical who really is not coming off as the brightest knife in the drawer, never going to win the spelling bee. I think that impacts Democrats across the country. I think that's a nightmare for them.
Speaker 12: What do you think, well, I think the notion that the Democratic Party has gone off the deep end to the left, and it's not just Florida, where we have a DSA nominee for the Senate, say ed who is certainly far to the left in that race. The fact that Democrats need to win seats in red states like Ohio, Texas, Iowa. These are states that are Trump won by over ten points in the last election. It's gonna be hard to get those final few points because you're gonna need to get some pretty solidly Republican voters if you want to actually get to fifty percent, and by reminding voters in those states that you have a socialist wing of the Democratic Party that's taken. That is a message that I think is going to resonate and it's gonna be harder to compete in those red states now.
Speaker 1: On August eighteenth, Patrick Ruffini, one of the specialists inside our beltwegh and he's a very well respected polling scientist, put out of study why Senate polling is always worse in the summer. For four cycles in a row, the polls have overestimated Democrats. Here's the history, usually by six points in August. They overstate Democratic strength in every poll, then they pull back as we get close. I don't think it's it's intentional.
Speaker 12: What do you think, Well, some of it it's about sampling and how big is your voting pool who's going to show up for an election which.
Speaker 7: Can vary year after a year.
Speaker 12: The interesting finding in the new Michigan poll today it was basically a tide race, I'll say it up by one point. It found that voters over fifty who were persuadable overwhelmingly with leaning towards Mike Rogers and going towards Mike Rogers. It's the younger vote that is much more to the left and is ls I ed's space. These days, young voters don't usually especially the youngest of voters don't usually show up historically. I think a lot of the polling depends on a lot of that young progressive voting base showing up in November for a midterm election. We'll see what happens, but the turnout is going to drive what the results are. And if you have an older voting basis is typical for a midterm election. The numbers that you see in the polls may be a little too hot and too favorable for Democrats.
Speaker 1: But it's alan yet. As always from Josh Crosshower, fall mine x Josh cross Hour and follow me to the next segment. Come right back to the UWIT shop. If you listen to this program for any length of time, you know I appreciate companies that deliver real value without unnecessary gimmicks. That's why I'm please to recommend Consumer Cellular. They offer reliable nationwide coverage, outstanding customer service and plans. It simply makes sense. Right now, you can get a brand new five G phone and an unlimited everything rate plan for fifty nine dollars a month or even less. That's right. Your low monthly price includes your new device and an unlimited talk, text and data plan with thirty six month easy pay financing. Choose the five G phone that's right for you, and when those thirty six months are up, you own the phone the companied unknown you. Here's an exclusive bonus for my listeners for a limited time. Use the promo code you fifty and you'll receive an additional fifty dollars off your service. Visit Consumer sailor dot com slash shoe today to find the right phone. Enjoy affordable wireless with an unlimited plan for fifty nine dollars a month or less. That's Consumer Sailor dot Com slash shoe and remember to use the code you fifty to save an additional fifty dollars.
Speaker 12: Utly on CLA Now, featuring one of Charlie Kirk's final interviews.
Speaker 5: The new documentary Can You Hear Me Now investigates modern profits and their divine messages. Some people absolutely have the gift of prophecy.
Speaker 12: If God exists, how would he inject his information into our world?
Speaker 7: More than likely he would use humans.
Speaker 5: Satan would love Christians, So just be a spectator, not engaged, not participate.
Speaker 1: Is there something he's trying to say?
Speaker 7: Can you hear me now?
Speaker 14: For you?
Speaker 5: Order the movie by September tenth, save twenty five percent and get the DVD free at salemnow dot com.
Speaker 15: When a nation drifts, the church faces a choice silence or courage. This weekend, Salem News Channels America two fifty film series presents Letter to the American Church, based on Eric Mattax's.
Speaker 11: Warning to believers.
Speaker 15: This film challenges Christians to recover conviction, truth and moral courage Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern on Salem News Channel Alo.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to my special Sea Span audience this week. A note of explanation for this half hour of conversation I had since I went to college and read the Peloponnesian Wars by the Citidies and learned that Athens was a sea power like US, and Sparta was a land power like Germany. And after I went to work for David Eisenhower and his grandfather's biography and learned about crossing the English Channel. And then I went to work for Richard Nixon and helped him write The Real War. I've been interested in seapower and so I'm a civilian, not a sailor, but i have very interested in seapower, so I've tried to read everything I can. One of the people who actually knows about seapower as a professional is my friend, Captain Mark vandro He joined US now Captain Van Droff as a senior vice president at Finkinian Italian shipbuilder. He was also in President Trump's first administration senior director at the National Security Council, with a lot to do shipbuilding. So earlier this actually one week ago, the President put out a presidential memorandum all and I cast about who will talk to me? Mark got Captain Vandroff. Mark to me, Captain Vandroff, you got permission from Fink anterry to come and talk to me about it. So Captain, welcome back. Thank you. I want to tell the audience you're the first person who actually took me to a shipbuilding factory to show me the un sexy side of shaft drives, right.
Speaker 6: Right, that was I remember that that day. Well, we were actually touring the facility out in California that makes what's called reduction gear, so like the transmission in your car. For most of the surface ships in the United States Navy.
Speaker 1: So I was fascinated, and so I've gotten to Mark for nuts and bolts. I got other experts like Captain Jerry Hendricks and others like Mark Montgomery. But I go to Mark. So Mark, I want to go through the President's Memorandum, and the first paragraph and the last paragraph are introductory and hortatory inclusory. Let's start and go right to the heart of it. Section two Restoring steam and hydraulic systems to carriers. Explain this please to steelers fans, I mean, really break it down.
Speaker 6: Make it simple, okay, So aircraft carriers launch aircraft. That seems simple enough. To launch a high performance jet off an aircraft carrier, it has to be flung into the air. The aircraft is actually attached to a sled in order to provide enough acceleration so that when the jet comes off the end of the aircraft carrier, its wings will provide enough lift that it can continue its flight and not get flung into the water. Historically, or at least since the nineteen fifties, this sled has been powered by steam. You build up high pressure steam and a steam red of our release the steam and it sends the slide forward on the USS Forward, which is our newest aircraft carrier for the first time that sled is powered by magnets. That's been an item of some controversy, and I'll give both sides. The good thing about the magnets is you can recharge a magnet faster than you can refill the steam reservoir, so you can launch more aircraft because you can launch another aircraft sooner. That's the good side. On the bad side, it's expensive, it's somewhat tricky technology to work with. And since we've gone to that and some other magnetic technology for moving things around on the Ford and the follow ons, the ships just take longer to build. So it's a balance of is it worth the cost and the time. Is there a way to get that cost and time down in order to get the performance of the additional what what the carrier guys call a better sortie rate, being able to launch more aircraft more quickly. Uh. And I think this administration has come down with the judgment that they'd rather go back to older technology that would allow them to build the aircraft carriers suit quicker or you know, get a quicker build cycle, not so hard to install on the carrier. I think there's a lot of folks in naval aviation who would take the opposite side. I think there's been a lot of unfortunate commentary in the news that makes it sound like it's somehow silly. It is not a silly issue. This is it's a real issue, and it's deserving of real study because this is a difficult call. I think the administration has signaled which side they're they're they're coming down on.
Speaker 1: So Captain Vandrov, anyone who's watching has seen me moderate a GOP presidential primary debate always knows I ask either about shipbuilding or nuclear submarines or aircraft carriers, because it because we're a sea power, and part of that is what Admiral Stavrite is retired, likes to say quantity as a quality all of its own. Does the decision make for more carriers or fewer carriers in this critical period of time of a narrow gap with China.
Speaker 6: The intent of the decision is absolutely for more carriers. If you can build a carrier faster, you can put more of them out there. So I think that's the desire to increase the build rate of carriers. Was the motivating factor behind this decision.
Speaker 1: Now, if the Trump administration follows through, and I expect they will, and a Democrat wins and they change it back, what kind of a disaster will that be for the aircraft?
Speaker 6: Maybe it would be good to get one decision and hold to it. Regardless of which way the decision is made. It would be good to get one decision and hold to it. Going back and forth for something as integral to the construction of these aircraft carriers is would be bad. The Trump administration, I think very wisely did not try and alter the carrier number eighty the next enterprise because it's far enough along that it would be overly impactful to its schedule. They're trying to phase this in on in this case two carriers from now where they think they can phase it in without creating a disruption.
Speaker 1: And will Congress have the final say or is this up to the president as commander in chief?
Speaker 6: This would normally fall under the Secretary of the Navy's Title ten Authority for Acquisition, which obviously he's subject to the direction of the Secretary of War and the President. But as you know, Congress kind of always has the final say because they can put writers in appropriations. They can write language into the National Defense Authorization actety given years, so they can certainly direct and constrain the executive branch through various piece of legislation.
Speaker 1: Okay, as a civilian, I have no opinion on this. I just want them to make a decision and stick with it. Part two The Finland model for three kinds of ship ASW, roros and console Can you explain those again? And stealer talk? What are those three kinds of ship and what is the Finland model? So? Sure?
Speaker 6: So? First, of the three kinds of ships, all of these are critical capabilities that the United States Navy or other parts of the United States government tasked with supporting the Navy probably doesn't have the amount they need. The first one's easy. An ASW escort is a ship that will escort other ships and screen and defend against submarines. A console tanker. If you think about ships out on station, they receive fuel from oilers from replenishment ships that bring them fuel for the aircraft. Fuel for the air you know, Jeff, for the air wing on an aircraft carrier, diesel fuel for the jet engines on a DDG. Console tankers are big tankers that take a lot of fuel from a shore station and distribute it to the oilers at sea, so the oilers can go back and forth, so there are an intermediate link in the fuel chain that gets fuel.
Speaker 1: Out to ships.
Speaker 6: Rowrows rowrow is slang for roll on, roll off. Those are very large ships designed to move heavy equipment, mostly the heavy equipment of the army and the Marine corps, from point A to point B. And it's called a row row because the ship is designed so you can drive a tank or a self propelled artillery piece or a self propelled radar on and off the ship. Just drive it like you were driving over land, park it on the ship, and then.
Speaker 1: Move the ship. What's the Finland model for building these in two minutes?
Speaker 6: Finland model is what we did with the Coastguard did with ice breakers. It means you have a partner nation. In the case of ice breakers, Finland builds the first number of units, while at the same time that partner nation is investing in either building or upgrading a shipyard in the United States of America and training Americans to build out the rest of the class. So it gives you the best of both worlds. It gives you increasing American jobs and capacity because you're getting that foreign investment while you're allowing the foreign partner to fill an immediate need in capability. I think this is the best part of the president's memorandum. I only wish that he had increased it by one more class of ship. I think the United States is desperately short of cable layers, and this model selecting a foreign partner nation to be a partner to build an initial number of cable players while the rest are built here in the United States. And I say that full disclosure of fin Cantiri's subsidiary vart is the world leader in cable layers, but it is a capability that the United States, It's government, I think is short of and desperately needs.
Speaker 1: I love full disclosure. We will be back with Captain Mark Van draft retarga United States Navy Senior Vice president for fink An Terry, former National Security senior advisor in Trump one to go through public shipyards, component repair Center and Navski. I've got him for three segments. I really thought it would be a service if the audience understood the presidential memorandum, which very few people pause to talk about may be the most important thing for the next thirty years for America other than Golden Dome. So stay tuned. Welcome back in America. I'm Hugh Hewett. If you've listened to my program for years on the Salem Radio Network on the Salem News Channel this week on c SPAN, you know I covered navy issues a lot. Used to do it with Admiral Stavritas retired. He's over at CNN now Adamal Mark Montgomery comes in. But I've always had two cap dos, rely on Captain Mark Van droffho has written my guest right now, United States Navy retired Senior Vice President think can Terry Trump won National Security Council official. And Jerry Hendrix, Captain Hendrix, who wrote this book which I keep in hand to provide and maintain a Navy, the short book on that. But he can't be on the air with me unless he's cleared because he's in the Trump administration right now. And Jerry, I mean Mark. We're talking about a memo in which no doubt Jerry had a hand was rough vote and the President. I want to go to section four. The memo from the President declared we need a fifth public shipyard. Where are public shipyards? Where are they? And why do we need another one, and where's it going to be?
Speaker 6: So all good questions. A public shipyard very simply as a shipyard that is owned by the United States Navy, so it's managed by Navy officials. All the workers, the welders, the electricians, the crane operators are all government employees. The Navy historically had many public shipyards. In the nineties we had eight, and the BRAC process took eight down to four before remaining public shipyards are in Norfolk, Virginia, in Portsmouth, New Hampshire slash Kittery, Maine, depending upon which state official you ask, because it's on the border of New Hampshire and Maine and they argue about it. Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and then up in Puget Sound in the Pacific Northwest. The Navy, for a variety of reasons, prefers to do serious maintenance on nuclear ships. So the nuclear submarines, the nuclear aircraft carriers get their maintenance done by the Navy itself, under by government employees. And there's a lot of good reasons for that. When we went from eight to four. Now that we're looking to expand our number of submarines, especially, we just don't have enough maintenance facilities within the the public shipyards to do uh to do the maintenance we need to do on the submarine side fleet that we that we need to have. So the President, I think, in this one very correctly recognizes we need a fifth yard. The ideal candidates would be the two closed yards on the West coast, Long Beach and uh and Alameda, But both of those since their closure in the nineties, have been developed by the local economy and would be hard to recover. Most experts would tell you they're also in California, and California most.
Speaker 1: Experts would regulatory problems that are immense.
Speaker 6: Indeed, but most most I think most analysts would say that the yard needs to be in the Pacific because it provides the additional benefit of providing a repair capacity the in theater or close to theater if you were in a conflict within the Indo Pacific. I certainly think that there's gonna be lots of different real estate around the country interested in that fifth shipyard, you know. I think anywhere where there's coastline, there's gonna be people interested in it. But I think from a tactical strategic standpoint, closer to the fight would be better.
Speaker 1: Mark I question if Congress passed a Notwithstanding any other law or regulation act, it is an emergency situation, and we need a fifth shipyard, and the and we are appropriating a trillion dollars or whatever it is to buy and build a public Navy shipyard at a point of the sect navs choosing and to commence immediately. How long till that could be up and running.
Speaker 6: It depends on if you're going from a place where there's absolutely no no capability now if it was just a blank sheet of paper versus if you were recommissioning someplace that used to be a shipyard.
Speaker 1: So like you could.
Speaker 6: Probably go quicker in Alameda, if you know, depending on what condition they're dry docks are in, if you're going to improve those docks, as an example, you could be up and running, you know, maybe in a couple of years. If you were building from scratch, a graving dock big enough to take a Virginia class submarine is probably you know, three years worth of construction. As an example, we put in a new shiplift at the think Cantieri's yard in Marinette, Wisconsin after it was bought in order to bring it up to be a to produce modern surface combatants, and between the permitting, which I know you know a lot about, and then the dredging and then the building of that, it was a two and a half year job to put in a modern shiplift. I expect if they were going to do a graving dock or a shiplift somewhere in the West Coast, it would be a simil or build cycle, and you'd have to do more than one. You'd be working on multiple ones at the time. So it's a two to three year effort to get the facility up and running out of it.
Speaker 1: I should amend and extend my remarks. If Congress passed a notwithstanding any law ignoring the Coastal Commission, overriding all federal and state and local regulations and condemning whatever local use is at Alameda, That's where I go. It can be protected by MIRAMA. I mean, it just makes a lot of sense. That's where I go. But that would require a sweeping statute to clear with the debris. What is a component repair center and why do we need one? Because I'm going to use the last segment on NAVC reform. So what's a component repair segment?
Speaker 6: What it is is it's a central repository where you would either store repair parts or build specialty repair parts for a particular class of ship. In this case, it refers to our submarines, and I think specifically, even though it mentions the Los Angeles Glass and the Virginia Class and the Ohio Class, I think this is really targeted at our aging Los Angeles class fleet. The administration correctly wants to keep the Los Angeles class ships in service for absolutely as long as possible. Some of them are old enough that they have a lot of components that just aren't available anymore in the open market. So this is a centralized storehouse and fabrication using things like three D printing and other advanced manufacturing to keep enough repair parts in a central location, made stocked, sent out so they can keep some of our older submarines in service for absolutely as long as possible in order to keep our submarine count up.
Speaker 1: And how long would it take? Where would it be and how long would it take? I think this.
Speaker 6: Could be ideally in any centralized place that had good road rail access, so you could put it nearly anywhere in the country again, and I'm sure there are lots of different regions that would like to have this around, you know. And you could put it in a lot of different places if you if the people didn't care about watching bad football, they could put it in Ohio, the uh and and the uh uh but the uh uh. You know, so where it goes as long as it's uh connected to a good logistics train, if could go anywhere. And I think this could be up in the in a matter of of you know, certainly less than two years, you know.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 6: I think this Pentagon could get it done in a year because they tend to move fast.
Speaker 1: Again, if the Congress passed and notwithstanding any law, how many jobs are we talking about with a facility like this, Captain van.
Speaker 6: Drot Oh, I I have not dug in enough beyond the executive order to put a number on that. I mean, if you like, if you said, how many yard jobs is that is that fifth shipyard, I'd say that fifth shipyard is probably like three thousand to four thousand workers. Based on the size of our other public yards, the competitent Repair Center. I'd have to study more to give you an actual job counch.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm coming back one more segment with Captain Mark Van Draft for charge United States Navy, Senior Vice President Ken Terry, former Trump won National Security Council official, to talk about what NAVSEY is, what reforms are proposing, the President's memorandum, why we need him, and whether or not Secretary cow or Acting Secretary Cowie how to be Secretary cow can get it done. Stay with us. Welcome back. I'm Hugh Hewett. Continue to talk with Captain Mark Van Draft, retired United States Navy. He's a Senior Vice President viin can Terry, former President Trump official in the NSC National Security Council in the first administration, and we come to navsee Mark for the audience. The depth sec of Defense, Steve Feinberg is doing a fabulous job that nobody knows about, trying to reform to defence acquisition. And I think Acting Secretary An Kao is doing a great job with the Navy. I hope he gets a vote and it gets nominated permanent secretary. But you get five minutes to try and explain what NAVC specifically is and what the Presence Memorandum proposals be done to reform it.
Speaker 6: So thanks you. So NAVC is an acronym that stands for the Naval Sea Systems Command. All the services have activities, each organized a little differently, but within the Navy a Systems Command, because there's also the Naval Air Systems Command and a few others, is a large organization which is charged with a cradle to grave from the research and development to develop a capability, through acquiring the capability, through taking care of the capability through its life cycle, and then disposing it. So the Naval Sea Systems Command does that for ships and submarines. The depsec War and the Undersecretary for War for Acquisition early on in the Trump two administration really has already done some sweeping reforms, not just for the Navy, but how all the Department of War Acquisition operates. It sounded less impactful than it really is, but they've changed the authorities around to really provo. I selected individuals with a lot of authority across both contracting, technical and budgeting and programmatic to try to drive more accountability and drive out bureaucratic friction in order to accelerate programs. I think that's having and will have a very significant positive effect. I think NABSI has already gone through that level of reorganization, as the rest of the Department of War has, but this presidential memorandum directs a study to see what else Navsey needs to do to get into the twenty first century. I mean, I spent most of my career in the Navy either at NAVSTY headquarters or in various NAVSY field commands. I ended my career in command of one of their largest field commands, the Naval Surface Warfare Center, card Rock, is where I finished my naval career. But in a lot of ways, they really still have a nineteen eighties set up, organization, and mentality, and they need to be brought into the twenty first century. They have processes that work very well for the nineteen eighties, and in order to meet the challenges today, it probably does take a fresh approach, And this memorandum tells Secretary Cow to go and study what that fresh approach will look like and report back to the President. And I have every confidence I know Secretary Cow at least a little bit fellow Naval Academy graduate, and I am sure he will get this one right.
Speaker 1: So two questions to close with Ungress gets involved and says, in the next NBAA on a reconciliation bill, do this reorganized in six months? Would that help? And the second question would be can you actually get it done in the Trump years, because it's actually a bigger question. Have we fallen too far behind China to catch up? I try and be an optimist.
Speaker 6: I believe, you know, America's pulled off things, amazing things in the past, so I don't think we've fallen too far behind China to catch up. I like the fact that this memorandum uses allies and partners in the Finland model. Certainly, my company, think Cantri and you know, as a company that's based in Italy, one of those allies and partners, it wants to be part of the solution to providing the sea power that the United States needs. So I think we've got that going for us. Certainly, Congressional support is critical for any major reform effort. It's a co equal branch of government and ultimately they hold the power of the purse. So the President's going to need to have Congress on board in order to make this happen. Can it be done within the remaining years of the Trump administration. You can get a long way there. Certainly, whoever follows of whatever political party is going to need to be committed to this because it took us from President Reagan deregulating the civilian shipbuilding industry in the early eighties till now that thirty five forty years. It took us thirty five or forty years to dig ourselves into this hole. You're not going to dig out in two years. But as you were fine to say, the first rule of holes is stop digging, digging. This memorandum is a direction to stop digging and start filling in the hole as fast as you can so.
Speaker 1: Mark van Draft, Captain van Draft, I greatly appreciate a Pittsburgh Steeler Guys fan and a Florida Gators fan guide to understanding. I got you back see to understanding what this memorandum means, and I hope it will get other people to read it and study it and talk about it. Thank you, Captain Mark Vandroff. Stay tuned, America. I'm Cucurett. Welcome back in America. I'm good. Hewitt Seth Bendel, Senior editor at Commentary Magazine, joins me. Seth of all the podcasts around the world that I listened to. The one that's most schizophrenic about Donald Trump and the Iran War is yours at Commentary. I listened to it every day. This week is a special week of author by author. But some days you're happy, some days you're sad, some days you're joyful, sometimes you're crying. I think this has been a very good week.
Speaker 14: We contain multitudes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it's been a very good week. Though for the war, I think Iran is crumbling. What do you think?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think one thing that we've always said on the podcast from the beginning is that Iran has way more to lose from a ro tracted conflict than the United States does. They just cannot endure the same degree of economic disruption that we can. And so what they've done is they've tried to play our public against itself and whipped up bad headlines and of course the price of make sure the price of gas goes up, things like that, and those have been effective, but it doesn't change the fact that the negative effects we have felt won't destroy the United States but Roan. This is an existential conflict for Iran, and its money will eventually run out, especially if we continue to find ways through and around the strait of horror Moones.
Speaker 1: Now, Secretary Besson's giving a big announcement on Monday about how we go to the wall. We've always had maximum sanctions, but we're gonna do more. It might be the swift bank system. I don't know what it is, but we're going to do more. And I like this, And I also think I agree with the commentary podcasters when you guys say I wish President Trump would do more than say they can't be in nuclear power, which you explain how Germany could have been stopped in thirty four, thirty five or thirty six and it wasn't. And that Iran BB before breakout is a lot easier to deal with than Iran AB after breakout. In fact, they can't be dealt with, And that the States are huge and we've got to see this through. Is that the missing piece in your mind, Just explain it again and again and again.
Speaker 14: That is part of it, and the other missing pieces just to make sure that we actually craft a strategy and stick to it. And part of that is enforcement. Right, So the president's decision to go full economic pressure, economic warfare is the kind that could win the conflict. But he has to make sure that there's no holes in the bucket. Dear Liza, you know he's got you know it. He Earlier this year, Pakistan opened a land bridge to Iran. What it did was it opened.
Speaker 1: Its ports to goods that could be shipped.
Speaker 14: To Iran and from Iran, and that means that China can can trade. Essentially, China can trade with Iran without through Pakistan, without having to pay Pakistani import duties. So it's a it's just a way to circumvent the blockade. It's not necessarily illegal, although it will be against the next plan, as the plan that the President is expected to announce that Besn't is expected to announce in full, it would violate those terms almost certainly. But he's going to have to make sure that those holes are sewn up, those loopholes don't come through because Pakistan, which is negotiating the terms of these deals, has been allowing Iran to first of all, allow ships with oil to hang around in Pakistani ports just to try to beat the blockade or stick it out until the blockade ends. And they've also been, like I said, opening these land bridges and canceling import duties for countries who want to trade with Iran. So you need Pakistan online and all aboard a program like this, and if you do that, then yeah, for sure it can. But you have to really have to decide and stick with it.
Speaker 7: Is the other part.
Speaker 1: You're probably too young to remember. The day after nine to eleven, not long after, Richard Armattene, then Deputy Secretary of State, flew to Semous Sharaf, the President of Pakistani said this is what you're going to do, and this is when, and it's stuck for a year and a half. We scared the daylights out of them. I think we need to do that with Iran. But I do listen to Richard Goldberg. I wonder if you do. When Richard goes on with Mark bublowit's on Foundation for Defensive Democracies. It really sounds like Operation Freedom is going and that the oil is coming out of this great do you get? And new pipelines are being built at the speed of Trump.
Speaker 14: Rich knows better than I do of those specifics, and I love listening to him because I love good news. So he's been, yeah, he's been. He's been sunny about that, and uh, and he's not one to make this stuff up. You know, he knows what he's talking about. This is this is an issue on which you know, he's had the info nailed down for a long time. This is his wheelhouse and so I trust that what he's saying is true. And so if that's really the case, then as I said before, the economic toll that we take is even less and the economic toll that Iran takes is even more so.
Speaker 1: What is the endgame in Seth Mandel's might in mind, it's a cup against the regime by elements of the artest or even within the IRGC, because nobody's getting paid. What's your game look like?
Speaker 14: It has to be and everybody hates using the term regime change, but it has to be a change of the regime. This can't the current regime. And they've made this more official lately by the way the Supreme Leaders has appointed to senior posts IRGC officials and given IRGC that's the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and the besieged militia, has given them more power over domestic policy. He has essentially turned this structurally into the IRGC state. It is not now a state with an IRGC that goes abroad and makes trouble and a besiege that beats people up at home. That's the state now, and so from this you can't have peace because, as the Wall Street Journal report the other day laid out in specifics about the intercepted communications between Iran and the Gulf countries, Iran is the one that has decided, Supreme Leader supposedly that this war is not going to end. Iran is the one that decided to scuttle the deal that was taking shape over the Strait of horror moves these This is Iran's decision to continue and prolong this war, and what we know now is that they can. They're planning for this to go on indefinitely. So I don't see how you don't get some sort of significant change regarding who's in charge, but still ends the state of hostilities.
Speaker 1: I think that's the most important question and the most important discussion for Americans to focus on, and I believe the Pentagon and the President and the Treasury Department and the CIA is doing that. Seth Mandel always good to talk to you. Follow him on exit. Sethe Mandel read him at commentary dot org. Listening to the commentary podcast every Day