Speaker 1: I want to be able to go to the ends of the earth for people that I haven't even met before, because that's what christ did for me. That's what he took on humility, he took on human form when he had no need to. And if he did that for me, like there's just no appropriate response but to do that for others.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of On the Ground with Samaritan's Purse, where we take you to the front lines and behind the scenes of our work around the world. I'm your host, Christy Graham, and you may have seen in the news about the Abola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo or the DRC. Samaritan's Purse, our Disaster Assistance Response Team or DART for short, is on the ground in the DRC. We have opened two Ebola treatment centers otherwise known as ETC's in the hardest hit areas by the outbreak, and we're also training medical workers, providing personal protective equipment, and doing training in the community to teach people how to prevent the spread of this virus. And it is with the Lord's help that Samaritan's Purse is equipped to take on this disease. We've done it before in Liberia in twenty fourteen and the DRC in twenty eighteen. It's such a horrible disease and it's difficult on our staff, but God redeems and restores difficult times. With him, nothing is wasted, and you're going to hear about how He has prepared us through these two past responses to take on Abola yet again. The disease is dangerous. It is truly a sacrifice to say yes and go serve. I am in awe of these team members that are saying yes, Lord send me. Though there's a high mortality rate to the disease, there is still hope. There are people who have recovered from Abola and have gotten discharged our staff. They're bringing hope. I got to take part in an infectious disease response training alongside members of our Disastro Assistance Response Team. I got to suit up and experience what it's like to put on the personal protective equipment. Being a part of this training it impacted me so much. I've always had great respect for our teams, but now even more. Bev Kofelt, who has served on the last two egol of responses, took me through the training wow.
Speaker 3: So usually at an etc.
Speaker 4: We would have like wash people.
Speaker 3: Either national stuff that've been trained or someone that would help with the downing. So like you always have a partner when you're donning, so that I can check Katelyn and say, yeah, Kate, when you're good to go. We kind of give the once over and then Katelyn.
Speaker 5: Be like, Okay, that's yet We're going to go.
Speaker 3: That's a lay up mirrors because if you get in there and all of a sudden you have a little liver breach, like you have to go right out. So what we're watching for in this training is making sure that everyone's getting the order right. So first thing is they put the first layer of gloves on and then they're gonna put their suit on, second layer of gloves and their masks and then their hood. So you'll watch kind of the sequence that they're following there, and we have people in here helping them out too.
Speaker 2: How long can you be in the suit, like to keep it no.
Speaker 3: More than forty five minutes to an hour. We put the time on their arm and so as a wash lead, I'm on the outside watching my teeth and if I saw that Caitlin's looking a little red in the face. I'm like, hey, Calen, let me see your arm, and she shows me that she went in at like say, two thirty. I'm like, okay, what do you have left to do because you need to get out.
Speaker 2: You have the stress and the adrenaline.
Speaker 4: So it's the mood different.
Speaker 3: We kind of like the slowest smooth smooths fast. But I heard someone say that once and I'm like, that is so good for Ebola. There's no rush here. No one should be panicking. It should just be calm before they cross this threshold to talk through everyone's starting. Who's responsible for what we pray? There's no wasted movements, and you have to just be calm, patient, listen, have each other's back. You can't be all moving at once because all of a sudden hit Christy and now her goggles are like this. She has to go out and there has to be that built in trust with each other.
Speaker 2: Like I mentioned earlier, Samaritan's purse has responded to Ebola before I spoke with Beth about how years later she has seen the Lord redeem that incredibly difficult season. We know that God never wastes or you know, he uses all things our failures, Our shortcomings are you know, setbacks, obstacles for his glory. Man memori evil God uses for good. So tell me about how twenty fourteen our team kind of went blind. Yeah, didn't know what we were doing, didn't have this training. How US is redeeming that time as hard and painful as it is.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things we learned so much, first of all, and then to see that what we've learned has not been wasted, the fact that then we did training and we were better prepared in twenty nineteen in DRC, and then we continue to train every year for infectious disease. So every year we have people come through getting these suits and train and we also like people like Sasha who put an incredible amount of work, who are liaising with the wh show. We're now seen as a leader US and doctors about borders for infectious disease. And now being able to have these guys here, I feel so much better about being able to train them prepare them for what they're going to go to in DRC now, which of course we didn't have before. But again, like you said, God has redeemed it.
Speaker 2: Apart from the Lord, we can do nothing so in the field, after suiting up, our teams humbly go to God in prayer before they begin their shifts.
Speaker 3: Lord, I just pray that you would just go with this team, give them strength and give them clarity of mind. Lord, and we just pray that you would help them do what you've asked them to do. Our Lord, we pray for the people of DRC and the people that are being impacted byable.
Speaker 6: In your name.
Speaker 3: Amen.
Speaker 2: BEV led the Water Sanitation and Hygiene team through the simulation.
Speaker 3: You want someone to come in this room. That is a completely clean room. So even if there's a little bit of waste in here, as soon as it hits that chlorine, it's deactivating the evola, right, So you just have to give a once over. Just be really good, don't leave until everyone's ready and everyone's agreed that the room is good. So Brian, you're like, okay, guys, there's anything else. Let's take a quick look. Okay, we're good, Squeegey is back. Everything's good. Levels of our hand washing stations is good, all right.
Speaker 2: BEV talked about how it's important to detach panic and full emotion while keeping compassion. I imagine that it's hard to balance for our staff WASH teams. They must stay task oriented, they must protect themselves in these high risk situations, and if a patient passes away, it's an opportunity for our WASH teams to treat that individual with dignity and respect. But it's also such a critical time because the disease is still highly contagious, so they must spray the body down and care for it to prevent disease from spreading. But we also want to respect these image bearers. Our medical teams also went through simulations. They're getting used to doing things that they've done hundreds of times over, like starting an IV on a patient, but this time in the thick layers of gloves and hot tie XXA.
Speaker 7: So we are going to be giving a starting an IV en Bolla sing little Timmy today. So we're going to think through once we walk in the room, just like you do in your normal environments at home, doing an observation of the room, seeing what you need to move and order to do what you need to do, so looking to see your sharps container. So if Kate's going to be starting an ID, she should have a buddy that's able to hold with somebody her body.
Speaker 2: At the training, BEV talked with me about a passage of scripture that has been on her heart.
Speaker 3: This person I should have the team today is so perfect acts twenty twenty four policys. But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned to me by the Lord Jesus, the work of telling others of the good news about the wonderful grace of God. And before that, he says, and now I'm bound by the Spirit to go to Jerusalem. I don't know what awaits me, except that the Holy Spirit tells me in city after city that jail and suffering lay ahead. So he knows going in the same way we know going in. And yet he says, you know, but my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for the finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus. And we talked about that this morning, about we know three to a certain extent what you're going into. If you've never done it before, you never know exactly unho you get there. But that's what we're doing this training. But this is the purpose, you know, And just to spend that time in prayer with the Lord asking the Holy Spirit to discern do you want me to go Lord or is it my ego and my pride. You have to have a little bit of a reverence for the disease. Yeah, you have to respect it. So you have to check your ego at the door.
Speaker 2: All I can think about is like, are you called or you capable? And I think this is even like a tricky balance because we want to be capable, We want to be trained and equipped as well as we can, but at the end of the day, we have to be surrendered and called right, So you do want the knowledge, you do want the training. We don't want to go into a blind But if you get too capable and too I know what I'm doing, that's.
Speaker 3: Where you There's no room for arrogance your pride anywhere in our life in general, but especially in a response like this. There's a humility of understanding, just the weight of it.
Speaker 2: One of our staff members who can speak into this humility is Dustin Martin. He is a WASH technical advisor in our International Project's department. Dustin works and supports our field offices around the world in their water programs, and he is likely going to deploy to DRC very soon. One of our podcast correspondents caught up with Dustin at the training.
Speaker 1: When we do this training on an annual basis, it is normally for a broad group.
Speaker 8: Of infectious diseases.
Speaker 1: So think about our COVID responses in the past, or cholera. These are the situations that we're trying to prepare for this week in response to the current crisis that's going on in the DRC, we are trying to do a just in time training for people who have availability to deploy to the Congo over the next three months. I've been involved in a couple of infectious disease responses in the past. One of them was in Uganda in twenty twenty two, but in that case I didn't actually have to don ppe and go into the high risk zone where either suspect or confirmed patients were. So this time around, in doing this training and preparing for a deployment, it's a little bit different for me because although I've done this training before, I am for the first time staring down like a very real deployment where I will likely in the next couple weeks be going into the high risk zone. Also, since twenty twenty two, I've had two children with my wife, and so my family situation is different, and so all of that is kind of rattling around in my head as it becomes very real. We've talked about this kind of stuff in trainings and in manuals and in PowerPoint decks that talk about it in theory, but it's becoming very very real for all of us this week.
Speaker 6: So why are you willing to go?
Speaker 1: I believe that everyone was created in the imago day the image of God, and that means that they have intrinsic worth and value, and that value extends beyond cultural borders. It doesn't matter what passport you carry, it doesn't matter the color of your skin. You are worth something in the eyes of the Creator. And I love my family, I love my colleagues, and I would I would go to the ends of the earth for these people. But I want to be able to go to the ends of the earth for people that I haven't even met before, because that's what Christ did for me. He took on humility, he took on human form when he had no need to. And if he did that for me, like there's just no appropriate response but to do that for others.
Speaker 6: You are preparing physically this week learning doing the training. How are you preparing spiritually? What does your prayer life look like right now going into that, and are there any scripture versus passages things that you're reading right now that are encouraging you.
Speaker 8: It's a lot of short prayers.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of like just taking a moment to reflect, being willing to talk to people. It's a ton of short prayers over my kids, with my wife, you know, a lot of intentional conversations about these things and reflecting on why, like what I just answered, like why it is that we do this? So in terms of a scripture verse honestly, like I mean one that comes to me right now, and many times when I think about this line of work and why I do it is Philippians chapter two.
Speaker 8: Or have this attitude which is also in Christ.
Speaker 1: Jesus who, being in very nature God, did not consider a quality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant. And that is what drives me, that is what keeps me grounded, that like Christ did that for me, I'm meant to have that attitude, and so that's something I often come back to is just like I'm doing this. I'm doing this because it's what Christ, what Christ has done for me, what He's demonstrated for me. I don't think it means that he guarantees my safety, but I do have confidence and peace going into these into these environments knowing that He is with me, knowing that I've made this decision with him and with my family on board. The thing I like, I really want to just emphasize is that for many of our DART members, and I know for our IHQ staff talk with folks about this is like it's more than just the individual that goes to serve that that are like quote unquote the heroes of this story. Like I really do mean it that, like I can't I can't do this without my wife, and this is something that we do together. And I would hate for someone to think that like, oh, look at this, like brave man who is willing to go and to put himself at risk, when like the truth is, like my my wife and my kids are are are as much a part of that as anything else. They stay behind, but they bear they bear the weight of it as well. And yeah, and I think of a lot of like everybody at ed quarters is. You know, not everybody's got children or a spouse, but like families bear the weight of this as well, and they're they're as much in this and a part of this as the people going because they are supporting in prayer, they're keeping home life stable. I couldn't do it without without her behind me.
Speaker 2: I love that Dustin and his whife are united front. They are both serving the Lord in their different callings. Some of us are the senders and some of us are the goers, and that can change based on the season that we're in, and we need to remember that one role isn't more important than the other. Just like the Body of Christ. We all have different gifts that the Lord gave us, and he wants us to use them for his glory. I know for me, I was a sender for many years when Edward was in the military, and it truly gave me such pride and just was a privilege to be able to take care of our kids so that he could go. And so I want to speak to people that are the senders. Your job is important. These men and women could not go into the fire without knowing that their home and their loved ones back home are taken care of, okay, and now it's hard as well for the goers to put on these suits. So now let's take you back. We're going to get into that suit. This is called the dawning.
Speaker 8: Though.
Speaker 7: That's how you do.
Speaker 2: And I'm already really hot and I'm not even halfway there.
Speaker 3: It gets hard, yes, all right for goggles.
Speaker 2: Yes, we got really putting into perspective what our teams do. I mean, this in a safe, confined environment is still makes you anxious. And that's why I think training is so important.
Speaker 4: And that's why I keep thinking.
Speaker 2: You know, we have to prepare in season and out of season for the gospel, you know, because when it's in hard situations, you have to go back to what you know over hand. We've been trained, We've been prepared. Every minute that I was in that suit felt so long. It was finally time to take the personal protective equipment off. I was thrilled. This process is called doffing. It is similar to donning, and it was a whole process requiring a lot of patience. I can't even imagine how difficult it is to be slow and methodical. After working a long shift facing ebola, all you want to do is rip that suit off and get some air. But safety is the number one priority, and so it's important to go slow and you have a team member that talks you through every single step. They're watching and making sure that you're following each procedure.
Speaker 3: All right, Christy, come on in here. So the first thing you're gonna do acting you go back and you're wash.
Speaker 4: My hands.
Speaker 2: After every single step I had to wash my hands in chlorine solution, from taking the layers of glove off to the goggles, the apron, the suit, the hood, the mask, every single time you had to wash your hands forget layers.
Speaker 3: You have to do this.
Speaker 6: We're gonna get another bath where that apron was.
Speaker 3: Okay, see do you feel better already?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're going to remove those gloves and wash our hands.
Speaker 8: Good job.
Speaker 3: The most important thing is that, yeah, you're listening. That's where it's so important that you know you trust yourself. You're listening to the doffer and you're not like, no, I think I should be doing this, and you're like, you're really at the mercy of them, especially if you've been in there for a really, really long time, you're tired, you can't see through your goggles. He's thinking clearly, he's keeping the calm boys.
Speaker 2: That's what I think.
Speaker 4: Thank you, well done, Thank you.
Speaker 2: It was such a relief to get that suit and that mask off. It gets so hot in that tie deck suit, and again I can't even imagine what it would be like under dangerous circumstances where you're facing ebola. But even under practice, it was still really difficult. I'm extremely clastrophobic, and so putting that suit on was really difficult. I had to pray and I had to say scripture in my mind to stay calm, and again I couldn't imagine wearing all that in the heat of Africa while serving patients who have a deadly disease. It truly helped me to have more empathy and compassion and to pray for our teams more urgently. Once I was out of that suit, which again was such a relief, I got to meet a member of our disastro Assistance Response team, Kate Allen. Why did you sign up for the dark Arresser? Why would you do something like this?
Speaker 4: I think just got really spoke to me about if you don't go, he will.
Speaker 5: You know, there's a lot of places that have a lot of need war zones, catastrophes where there's a sense of danger and discomfort and going and yeah, I just felt really strongly that was calling me into mission work, but not long term mission work, more the kind of using my skills to feel to just drop in, provide something and.
Speaker 4: Then go from what kind of doctor are you? I'm an emergency room doctor? Okay, so you see it all?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so much like these hospitals and clinics that we set up, you know, who can see anything, but this specifically is Ebola, so you know what you're going into. And as I was putting the suit on, I thought of the armor of God, you know how we are supposed to but we have a spiritual attack and an enemy. We should be putting our armor on and taking it very seriously. So maybe what is the difference of saying yes to a trip like this?
Speaker 4: I think it's the same.
Speaker 5: I've been to Iraq, I've been to the Ukraine, Like, none of these situations are secure, and I think I've counseled a lot of people who've thought about going into dark you know, of just being that God hasn't promised you to come home safe. God doesn't say you're going to be absolutely fine. You're not going to catch e buller or you're you're going to come home completely safe with no injuries, whether they be physical or potional traumatic injuries. But he does promise that he goes with us, and he promises that he goes ahead, and he promises he him's us in from behind. So we go with the spirit, and we go knowing that he has a plan and that he has already paid the ultimate price. So I've often said to my parents, you know, if something happens to me on these deployments, I'm going to be fine because I.
Speaker 4: Go to be with Jesus.
Speaker 5: The trauma is more for you than it is for me, because you're losing a order. But for me, if something happens to me, I'm going to be with Jesus and I know.
Speaker 4: Absolutely certainly where I'm going to be.
Speaker 5: And obviously I hope that it doesn't happen and I come back and I'd be able to go on another one.
Speaker 4: But yeah, God promises me that he goes with me, and I.
Speaker 2: Think of that verse Paul, you know, to live his christ to die is gain, you know, And he said, and I don't know which one's better, you know, to live, I still have things for you, you do, but to die is to be in your presence. And I think same when my husband's a military I think it was almost harder for us back home because we don't know what's happening. We don't know where he is he's facing, and I think he would always say, you know, he had that assurance from the Lord, you're you're safe, You're.
Speaker 4: With me, and also we're called into it.
Speaker 5: So I am completely one hundred percent certain God has me where he wants me to be. My parents to that degree have not had the same assurance that they haven't had that same calling on their life. They haven't got that same passion inside their soul to go this is where I need to go. So they very much have to rely on Okay, God likes to say me too, as I let it go again. And I will say that one of the most beautiful things about I've been deploying with sp since twenty sixteen and just seeing my parents'.
Speaker 4: Growth in that because actually, like now, you know, we a.
Speaker 5: Little while ago, I got kind of tipped to maybe be going to an insecure situation. But I told my parents and they were like, all right, yeah, when are you going? And I was like, oh, we used to have tears and arguments over this, and now they just go yeah sure.
Speaker 4: I was like, do you even love me anymore?
Speaker 5: But actually God has just to stayed them so many times that he has.
Speaker 4: Yeah, He's been their comfort, he's been their protector.
Speaker 5: So actually, yeah, they have so much more peace about these situations than they used to do.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's that verse, that piece that passes all understanding. It's not that the circumstances have changed or lightened, it's that I trust my Father deeper. I love that the Lord has not only given Kate peace about the calling in her life, but he's also given peace to her parents as well. I wanted to hear what scripture God has taught her and what he brings to mind as she prepares to possibly deploy to the DRC.
Speaker 5: I think the verse that I think this has really come to my mind with this one is the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness does not overcome it.
Speaker 4: And that is God's promise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, we are not sure that every patient will make Kate or that everyone will be completely safe all of the time, but the light does shine in the darkness, and we are that light.
Speaker 4: We're bringing that and just trusting that everything.
Speaker 5: We do, whether it be you know, great stuff like discharging a patient and having a party with them at the end of their time in the in the etc. Or whether it be you know, comforting a family member when their family has died. Actually we bring the light and the loaf and the peace of Christ and just just my prayer really is that He'll just keep using us in that way, that he'll strengthen us. And that's what I kind of pray as I prepare to go, like, let me be that light that shines in the darkness, you know, let me bring a little bit of Christ, whatever that might look like.
Speaker 2: Pray for all the people affected in Central and Eastern Africa. Pray that ultimately this virus would stop spreading. And please be in prayer for our country office team in the DRC our Disaster Assistants Response Team as we respond. Pray that we would be lights in this darkness. I want to close with the portions of Ephesian six. It reminds us to put on the armor of God as I was putting on that taivex suit, you know, we put on physical protection to face the disease, and you never take it more seriously than when you're going up against ebola. But we as Christians, were to take on spiritual defense as well, because we are fighting a spiritual battle in the midst of this difficult disease. Ephesian six ten through thirteen says, Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take up your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers and of this dark world, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything to stand. Thank you so much for listening today, Thank you for praying for our teams. If you enjoyed this episode, search on the ground with Smiritan's Purse wherever you're listening. We release episodes every week to encourage you in your walk with the Lord and take you to the front lines and behind the scenes of our work. Around the world. From talking with an Army veteran whose life has been completely transformed through Operation Healer Patriots, to speaking with our Disaster Assistance Response Team members on the ground who are distributing life saving supplies after a devastating disaster. Every new episode becomes my favorite. Make sure you subscribe. You'll be challenged and encouraged in your faith as you hear how God is actively changing lives again. To find the show, search on the ground with Saveritan's Purse wherever you're listening, or by going to Samaritan firs dot org slash life Audio. Thank you so much for tuning in. God bless you