Speaker 1: Welcome to today's podcast sponsored by Hillsdale College. All Things hilldalet Hillsdale dot ed or. I encourage you to take advantage of the many free online courses there, and of course I'll listener to the Hilldale dialogues, all of them at q for Hillsdale dot com or just Google, Apple, iTunes and Hilldale. Good morning, Laurie, I mean Race America. I'm Joe Hewitt, Thank you for listening. I'm joined at the top of the program by former United States Senator Jim Talent, member the Reagan Foundations Institute for the Study of War, and I want to know, Jim, off the top, what do you expect to happen tonight after Iran try to sneak attack on our trips in Jordan last night.
Speaker 2: Well, I expect we're going to punish them again, you, I mean, look, the purpose of the mission was to destroy their power as a nation state to dominate the region, and we did that. I mean, their military powers broken, their economy is on its knees. What they have is essentially the power of a subnational movement to threaten coast shipping. So we have a problem we have to manage. The President is managing by tightening the economic screws with the blockade and by disproportionately punishing them whenever they attack, while also saying, look, we're willing to talk if you guys want to be serious. And I think we're going to see that strategy continue, and I think it's a good one. They're just digging the hole in deeper. You're doing more and more damage to themselves.
Speaker 1: The President called Trey y inks that Fox is this morning, and then Trey immediately went on Fox and Friends. Here's a bit of that report. Cut number one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys, good morning, President Trump. Reacting to that Iranian attack on US forces overnight and Jordan, President Trump tells Fox News about Iran, we are going to beat the effing s out of them.
Speaker 1: He went on potent talent that that's the essence there. How long do you think the beating will go on for?
Speaker 4: I guess until morale improves.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In other words, you know, I think it's they're trying to continue to be relevant in the region. And of course they're relevant on a low level now, but remember six months ago they were feared throughout the region. So they're trying to be relevant and they're trying to leave her enough money out of US and out of the West to begin to rebuild. Well, they're not going to get the ladder. And what they're doing is they're engaging on the wrong side of an equation, if you will. In other words, they're being hit disproportionately compared to the damage that they're doing to us. I think the President understands that, and so I think he will continue this tactic until they decide for the sake of the regime. You and this, I'll digress on that a moment. I think what the President is is figuring is that this is irrational even on their own terms. In other words, what they should be looking for on their terms is to stabilize the regime, and they need to be able to sell oil at a minimum in order to do that.
Speaker 4: I suspect he would.
Speaker 2: Probably still give them that deal in the short term, lifting the sanctions if they actually allow us straight to go unimpeded, and then we would deal with the rest of the problem after November.
Speaker 4: So let's see if they wake up to that.
Speaker 1: Two more data points. A drone hit a US gas storage tanker at the Egyptian port. I can't remember the name of the port in a possible expansion of the war. That's from the time of Israel. And here is Secretary of War hag Seth earlier today cut number two.
Speaker 6: Good afternoon, everybody.
Speaker 7: It's good to be here at US Central Command. Edwald Cooper, the commander of Syncom, was.
Speaker 6: Going to be here with me. We just got done with detailed briefings.
Speaker 4: But of course he is busy.
Speaker 7: Because Sentcom Central Command will be busy tonight because President Trump said, we will be hitting Iran hard, and we will be because Iran has a chance to make a good deal, a great deal, to codify what they said they've been willing to do, and they.
Speaker 6: Haven't been to do it.
Speaker 7: So, as President Trump said, they've been tap tac tap it. You can see when someone's trying to tap tac tap on a deal. Instead, they're going to have tap tap tap bombs dropping on key facilities in Iran from.
Speaker 4: The United States of America.
Speaker 7: And that's not because we want to restart anything.
Speaker 4: We don't have to restart.
Speaker 7: It's because we are The War Department is prepared to set the terms to ensure that we get the kind of deal President Trump expects.
Speaker 1: So Jim Tallan that I'm uneasy with that because I'd like to go back to a three or four week campaign to hit every asset the IRGC has. Admiral Montgomery says, they own construction companies and energy companies. I'd like to blow up their pipelines that they are selling some oil through. I'd like to hit some power stations serving IRGC facilities, and of course Pickaxe Mountain with every MOA B we have. That's my target list, Admiral Montgomery, it's basically his. I just stole it from him. Do you think we'll go that far and do this more than one night?
Speaker 4: Well, look, I tend to agree with you.
Speaker 2: The only distinction I would make is to the extent we can, I would try and distinguish between targets that primarily serve the people of Iran and targets that are tied into the IRCG network.
Speaker 4: Now that's.
Speaker 2: That's difficult because they have their tentacles all throughout the Iranian economy. But I think at some point we're going to have to play that card, and I think the time is approaching. I tend to agree with you on it, and because we have a bunch of other options also, you know, for one thing, you notice they have not struck the Israelis.
Speaker 4: That tells you something, doesn't it. It shows that they're afraid of the Israelis.
Speaker 2: And my guess is that the Israelis would be willing to join in on this if we ask them, and I think the other states in the region are getting to the point where they wouldn't mind that. So we have other options. We could go on escort duty. You know the difficulty there. We can do it. It's going to take a lot of destroyers to do that. And as you and I have talked about for a long time now, you it would really be nice if we had a bigger navy so we didn't have to stress readiness in situations like this.
Speaker 4: But at some point.
Speaker 2: We're going to have to move to other options, and I suspect the first one is to attack the infrastructure in the way you suggest.
Speaker 1: On School of Ward today with Aaron McLain, Admiral Montgomery said it will take twenty six destroyers to actually run escort missions through the straight and through the red scene, narrows band, whatever it is. He also said about the latter, if there's any game left in NATO, they should be there. Now, there's not much game left there, he said, maybe one or two destroyers in Great Britain, one or two in France. Spain's got some, but they're not playing it along. I was kind of shocked at how calcified NATO's navy has become. It doesn't exist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the British have.
Speaker 2: The last time I checked, I think they list like sixty sixty five ships in their navy. They had almost three times that when they fought the Falklands War, and most of those ships are patrol craft. They don't have even the shadow of an expeditionary navy, and they were the ally that we could always count on in situations like this. So this points out another problem. We have too small a navy and our European allies basically don't have a navy. So yeah, they have been helpful, like in helping the Ukraines, but basically you it's almost not worth it.
Speaker 4: And you're right.
Speaker 2: I mean I would never contest what Mark Montgomery says anyway.
Speaker 4: So we need a couple dozen destroyers there.
Speaker 2: We only have about eighty three, and we never built the frigates that I wanted to build ten years ago. But we're doing it now. I just did a column on the maritime plans of the administration, and it was in National Review, the comprehensive Plan to rebuild the maritime industry, which is what we have to do in order to rebuild the navy, and the administration's taking it on. I'm very impressed. I'm cheerleading. It's not going to be easy. The plan isn't perfect, but they've actually recognized the problem and they're trying to do something about it.
Speaker 4: So we get more shipyards. We're going to have more ships.
Speaker 1: Well, let's close by going back to Iran. I think they've done a big miscalculation and opened the door for us to invite Israel back in. And they're not going to open that door very often. But it would be wonderful to see Israel, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Uae, and Bahrain all join in tonight. What are the odds of that.
Speaker 2: Well, they've each struck Iran, or most of them have struck Iran separately. The diplomacy is underway. We see this nuclear agreement with the Saudis. The whole region is moving in the direction of an equilibrium led by the United States and where most of the coercive forces is applied by the Israelis going forward, so it would be very much of a piece with that. And I think the region's getting to the point with Iran that they got with Hamas, which is how we got that agreement and how we got the hostages returned. Basically, they all said, we've had it with you. We want to develop this region. We need stability, we want decent relationships with the Israelis and among the different countries, and you're the big problem. And I think they're reaching that conclusion where Iran is concerned. So you can see that Iran is digging the hole deeper and deeper and deeper, and they can't get out of the one that they're in now.
Speaker 1: And it's a great opportunity to actually have the de facto alliance operate together. And I don't know if yes are open to that, but if they did that, that would be a turning point in the region. I'm sort of optimistic. I don't know what to think. Last quick, did you you today? Poor guy?
Speaker 4: I saw some clips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was he was wrong about everything, and now we know why he was wrong about everything. It was because he was more worried about his press than he was actually learning the science or listening to the scientists who are trying.
Speaker 4: To tell him. You know you. I don't want to criminally prosecute.
Speaker 2: The guy, he's to five years old, but I do think I do think we're entitled to the truth.
Speaker 4: That's what I want from him, and.
Speaker 1: I denize them in the world him. Yeah, immunize them up to the president and it can get done. Jim Talent can be followed on Twitter at x at Jim Talent and not to recommend and follow. Thank you, Jim. Coming right back with Noah Rothman from National Review. Stay tuned, buga back America. I'm you Hewitt, and I'm joined now by Noah Rothman, senior writer for National Review. Noah, of course, is sometimes the host of the Review podcast, often a guest on the Commentary podcast, and he was listening to the conversation with Jim Talent that we just had. So Noah, your reaction to our conversation with Jim.
Speaker 8: I don't think I can improve on what Jim said. I share just about every one of his assessments and his caution about the prospect of opening up the targeting, the number of targets to include civilian purely civilian infrastructure, although as he's noted correctly, it's hard to separate that which is purely civilian from that which supports defense industries as well as industries that the IRGC generates revenue from and profit from that are civilian but nevertheless support the regime. This surprise attack that we saw yesterday, the assessment in Western press is that it is purely aimed at the United States, and I'm not so sure. I really think there's a domestic audience for this sort of thing, especially in keeping with what we've heard of these reports that the IURGC put the kaibosh on this Omani produced proposal to settle this strait of Hormus with some Marianean control, but not nearly as much as they want. The IRGC reportedly intervened in that process, and we don't know how close it got. There's opacity here, but for the IURGC to execute this attack in order to probably restart hostilities which appear eminent. You know, it makes you wonder whether they believe returning to hostilities is advantageous for them, in part because so many elements of the civilian leadership inside Iran are now saying what Western analysts have been saying for a long time, that the value of this strait diminishes every single day that we keep it closed. Paradoxically, we need to increase traffic through the strait if we want to maintain control over it, and that's not what's happening. So the divisions between civilian leadership and the ERGCRE is spilling out into the streets in ways that have become more public than they previously were, and I feel like you can't separate this attack from that dynamic.
Speaker 1: There are two other data points, so I have becomment on immediately after the surprise attack or a couple hours after, Iergyz put out a statement saying we're willing to stop firing right now, let's go back to the negotiating table. So there may be some idiot in the IERGT who thinks they can get away at embarrassing Trump during Lindsay's funeral when Neno and Velenski is in town and not have him notice, and then drone hit the US storage tanker in the Egyptian point Port. Today, I don't know that the Mosaic Defense hasn't deprived them of command and control of everything, so that it's really the least common denominator of nutterery that's driving Iran right now. Either way, I think we've got to hammer them, and hammer them a lot.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I agree, and I don't know who knows.
Speaker 4: You might be right.
Speaker 8: We were concerns back in April that the mosaic strategy would prevent something like a period on this campaign because there would be elements with command and control on the field level that have autonomy to execute a tax at their will. And that may still be true true, but you got to think.
Speaker 4: It's backfiring at this point.
Speaker 8: You noted when your conversation with mister Talent that the Golf States are increasingly engaged in this campaign and increasingly open about being engaged in this campaign. It's still taboo for the UAE or at Bahrain, for example, to admit that they're executing strikes on Iranian targets inside Irana, though they are, but it's no longer taboo for Saudi Arabia, for example, to announce that it's participating in this campaign by proxy, not only against the Huthis in Yemen, which they began engaging with about a week and a half ago. But now overnight attacks on Iranian proxy forces inside Iraq by the United States and Saudi Arabia acknowledged openly.
Speaker 4: That's a big development.
Speaker 8: That's not something that would have happened a month ago, and it's the sort of thing that accretes around all all the problems that Iran is experiencing are coming together. The Strait is losing value, capital is fleeing to the path of least resistance to diminish the utility of the Strait, and the Golf States are not responding as Iran would have hoped by hedging their and not necessarily aligning with the United States and making accommodations with Iranian power in the region. They're actively opposing it. All of this is combining to create a lot more pressure on the regime then you hear about in the Western press. To read the Western press, time is on Iran side. I don't know if the Iranians agree.
Speaker 1: So there are a couple options here to the president. One he could do one big night, which is the minimum I think that's going to happen with many targets hit. Or he could say we're doing this for thirty days, We're going to take out basically Admiral Montgomery's target list, which is extensive and detailed and very thoughtful because the man has run convoy operation through the Strait of Horror moves and has a long naval career and ended up as a two star, So we can go anywhere on that line. If the President announces it and explains it to the country, does it hurt him politically? Does it matter at all what he does?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 8: That's a great question. I think whether it matters or not, he should. He should announce to the nation what he's doing, what is expected of the American people, what burdens they are expected to bear, and what benefits we will accrue from this campaign at very degrees of success. He should be honest with the American people. I think there's a real trust deficit here. I don't think the President has trusted the American public enough to level with them about what this campaign was going to entail. And I think the American public have repaid that lack of trust in kind. So yeah, I think it would benefit the President to be open and forthright about what he's planning to do. To the extent he knows what he's planning to do you know there's opacity here in many different directions, one of them being we know that there are shortages of defensive ordinance American defensive ordinance, and maybe we're calibrating our attacks and signaling in much the same way that I ran. By the way, is calibrating its attacks and signaling so that we don't restart a full scale exchange a volley of ballistic missiles that would overwhelm regional defenses and our own defenses. Maybe that's part of the calculation. I can't say for I think it's quite likely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I heard that these missiles, you remember Churchill's famous quote that in wartime truth is so precious it must be surrounded by a bodyguardable lies. So I really don't believe anything about anyone saying what we have gotten a stockpile because it's classified. So I just don't believe it. I am not opposed though to I heard Mark Montgomery say today he is certainly've got more than one hundred thousand jay dams. That's a lot of bombs, a lot of bombs that can go down.
Speaker 8: We don't use any problem with offensive weapons. Yeah, our offensive ordinance, standoff munitions, cruise missiles for example, that might be a big problem.
Speaker 4: Who knows.
Speaker 8: I mean, we've heard some leaks about that, so I don't have enough information to say one way or the other. But I know we don't have any problem with gravity. Bombs like that are fitted with Jadam kits. We have plenty of those, and over the top munitions is the sort of thing that we can deliver once we've depleted their air defenses, which we know how to do, have done and can do again. Likewise, I don't know how many missile out defensive ordinance we have, how many interceptors we have. But there was some talk a while ago about how Iran has still has seventy percent of its ballistic missile capabilities. Well, yeah, they had one hundred percent of their ballistic missile capabilities at the outset of Epic Fury, and those missiles launches slowed to a trickle because we were interdicting the launches. We were locking those missiles up in their bases, closing off the way for them to get out, or hitting the launchers when they launched one launch.
Speaker 4: And that was all you got out of it.
Speaker 8: We can do that again, but it would be a sustained campaign. And I don't know if the President has the stomach for it or not, but if he does, then he should come to the American people and explain what's going to happen, why, and what they're going to be get out of it, but also what they're going to endure in the interim.
Speaker 1: Great advice, Noh C. Rothman, good to talk to you is always thank you for joining me. Follow Noah on exit, Noac Rothman, and of course listen to the Editors podcast, on which no appears frequently, and follow me to the next segment. Don't Go Anywhere, America. We've got lots coming up, including Sarace Bedford, Victor Davids Hanson, Mary Katherine Ham, Senator Fisher, Senator Houstaid. Big day here on the Hugh Hewitt Shows, and Don't Go Anywhere, Stay tuned right where you are. I'll be right back. Welcome back, America. I'm Hugh hewittt. Sara C. Bedford is with the Washington Examiner. Sarah, what'd you make of the Rand Paul hearing with doctor Fauci today?
Speaker 9: It was kind of surreal after spending so many years listening to Fauci go on and on speak endlessly in front of any camera that would have him. To hear him shut down like that, It's not surprising, giving what we've learned from his diary and the type of exposure that he might have had if he did attempt to answer the questions, but it was nonetheless jarring to see him clamp down like that.
Speaker 1: So was it at all sympathy inducing for him?
Speaker 10: I certainly don't think so.
Speaker 9: I mean, he's the furthest thing from a sympathetic character if you just look at the way he comes across in his die, right. This is not someone who was motivated by public service. This is not someone who even seemed to be primarily motivated by science.
Speaker 10: It was someone who was motivated by fame and.
Speaker 9: Appearing before the largest number of audiences possible, and consumed by his personal grievances with other.
Speaker 10: People in the government.
Speaker 9: I mean, he comes off like a meglomaniac in his diary, and so, you know, I think optically it looked really bad for him to plead the fifth that way, even though you know, courts don't take that as an admission of guilt. To the average American, it doesn't look good for someone under scrutiny, especially someone who was revealed to be as self centered as Fauci to plead the fifth that many.
Speaker 1: Times well, something that Senator Holly referenced is said a lot. I don't expect people to know that who aren't in the business. But if you've been pardoned with a comprehensive pardon, you can't actually get in trouble for talking about what you did. Although I'm unclear whether or not if you tell a falsehood about what you did, whether or not you'd violate eighteen USC. One thousand and one. I understand the fifth for everything that's happened since his pardon to today, because that isn't covered by the pardon in eighteen USC. One thousand and one False Statement Act under oath or to any federal official appropriately involved in investigation. You don't want to go in arms way, But do you think that's the last we see? If Tony THOUGHTSI on the Hill?
Speaker 9: On the Hill, possibly, but it's certainly not the last that you'll hear about all of this.
Speaker 10: And over at the Washington Examiner, I just edited a wonderful legal explainer by my.
Speaker 9: Colleague Caaylindice that gets into some of those questions you just raised about pleading the fifth He absolutely would have exposure for any kind of perjury that he or to have committed today had he answered untruthfully about his past conduct. You just can't be prosecuted for the conduct for which he was pardoned. But this doesn't seem to be the end of it for Rand Paul. I mean, he's been really laser focused on this for years. Apparently he always knew there was a there there.
Speaker 10: We certainly seemed to see that from the emails.
Speaker 9: Another really interesting element to that that Howley pulled on was the fact that Fauci was having scientists nominate him for these high dollar academic prizes, and then those scientists were going on to win funding from nih which really seems like a conflict of interest in a paid a play scheme in the very cozy, small world of elite public health scientists. So there was a lot that we've learned about Fauci over the past week, and it's certainly not the last we're going to hear about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are two years of diary entries, and I can't imagine anyone's going to read them all. I read the ones that involved me after I interviewed him. And their eye opening and they make me think, gosh, this guy's trouble. He's got TDS. The last one, he was really on a rant about Donald Trump after his on the show, and I suggested he retire because people didn't like him, and then he admitted to it in the diary entry, but in September of twenty twenty one. So I don't expect anyone to get that far. Have you read more than just a couple of clips, because it's pretty gut wrenching, actually.
Speaker 10: It is.
Speaker 9: I saw that you are very reasonable, albeit very conservative. This was our definitely neutral head of COVID, who thinks that being conservative is actually your worst quality. But when you do read just pages on pages of these diary entries, and I did read a good bit of it, you see that his fixation was on getting to be on TV, getting to go in front of cameras.
Speaker 10: He was actually emotional.
Speaker 9: When White House aids were blocking him from going on TV because at a certain point he really was undermining the message that the administration was trying to.
Speaker 10: Put out there.
Speaker 9: And he wasn't the only policy maker that had any sort of credibility on the issue of COVID, but he acted like he was, and to see that this was a person who was motivated primarily by bolstering his own image, and that obviously creates incentives that are completely at odds with protecting people from the pandemic. It really frightens you that this guy had so much power for so many years.
Speaker 1: Now I do worry about boomerang effect. He's been discredited. It's very embarrassing. It's mortally embarrassing, and to his family and to his friends. It also embarrasses many many people in the media who were feeding him questions before you he came on their shows. Do you think we should let it lie now?
Speaker 10: No, absolutely not.
Speaker 9: I think this push to let everything that happened during the pandemic lie is corrosive to politics. I mean, there are bureaucrats like Fauci and others who usurped an enormous amount of power over people's everyday lives, over their constitutional rights, in the name of a pandemic that they pretty quickly learned wasn't all that dangerous and didn't affect most normal, healthy people, and certainly didn't affect children.
Speaker 10: But you had school closures, you had vaccine mandates.
Speaker 9: I don't think enough government officials have been held accountable for that, and until you really reckon with what was done, you can't really safeguard against those sorts of violations happening in the future.
Speaker 10: And I'm surprised the speed at which Republicans.
Speaker 11: Dropped that, and all but a select few such as Rand Paul have lost interest in pursuing accountability for that, because it is really so important in a bipartisan like good for the country sense that there be a reckoning with covid era.
Speaker 1: Policy, especially with regards to the school closures. That is the one area I want to get into because that should never happen again. Sarace Bedford, follower on Exit Sarasee Bedford, thank you so much for joining me. Let me tell everyone about Consumer Cellular, one of our great sponsors, and you ought to be able to save money today. If you call Consumer Cellular one eight hundred four one one forty four fifty four one eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four, one eight hundred four to one, one forty four to fifty four, or visit Consumer Cellular dot Com slash hugh Consumer Cellular dot Com slash hugh and here's the deal. There are two deals. Actually, anyone who calls up and they've got the best customer service in the United States STALL based in the United States, based on the Consumer Service Survey ACSI, the very best customer service. You'll talk to a real life human being in the United States with one touch of a button. When you do that, use my code Hu fifty and you'll say fifty dollars off your first bill from Consumer sailor Hugh fifty. But if you're fifty years an older, pay particular attention because they've got they want you as a customer. When you call one eight hundred and forty four fifty forty seven, fifty years an older, they will offer you one line onlimited talk, text and data for thirty five dollars a month. One line thirty five dollars a month unlimited talk, textan data. When you go to Consumer Sular dot com, slash you or call one eight hundred and four to one one forty four to fifty four. I'll be right back space, Welcome back in America. I'm Hugh Hewett. Mary Catherine ham joined May. She is the host of the Getting Hammered podcast, my colleague at Fox News or She is a contributor. So did you watch Doctor Fauci today, Mary Catherine?
Speaker 12: I can't say that I got a ton out of it. It's I guess it's refreshing to see him have nothing to say for once in his life.
Speaker 13: I wish he had shut.
Speaker 5: Up long ago.
Speaker 1: Do you think it will elicit sympathy for him?
Speaker 12: I think that he is such a tribal test and that people are so stuck on what they first believed about Anthony Fauci that there most people who are into him are having trouble getting out of it. Look, they have candles and throw pillows like there's a sunk cost issue here that they can't get past. And I think a lot of them still believe him, even though as the pandemic was happening, he kept admitting that he had lied to us. Now granted, those lies he thought were noble. He was trying to get us to do the right things, Hugh, and so he lied to us about certain things. These email or this diary shows bad faith more than I think anything I've seen from him in the past. And if you look close enough, you see that. But a lot of people don't want to look too close.
Speaker 1: I look very close because I interviewed him three times Mary Catherine, and so I looked at and the last time I asked him to resign September twenty ninth, twenty twenty one, because he was in the way of public health, and he dear diaried me. And then he went on to say the following. The opposition to me is part of the big lie locker up. Trump won the election January sixth was really a friendly visit to the Capitol. The China virus and Trump was correct. Fire Fauci since he was wrong all along, and let's discredit him and so on. Quite frankly, I'm finally coming to the realization that our democracy is truly threatened and is not possible, and that it is possible, even likely, that our democracy will crumble with the twenty twenty four election. If Trump wins, we are finished. If Trump loses, his far right lunatics likely try and overthrow the election, and with the attempts to have state legislators Republicans validate the electoral votes, I am really afraid they might be successful. Having said all of this, there's no way I'm going to retire before this outbreak is under control. What's that tell you about him, Mary Catherine.
Speaker 12: But he's tribal, and then he's also emo, like I don't need a public health guide to be this emotional and hysterical. And I think that was part of the problem, is that he was really enjoying the press he was getting. The more panic there was, and the more serious he could make things and the more controlled he could make things, the better his press got because everyone in the press agreed with him, And that kind of reaction I think is not the measured, smart, intellectual take I would like to have from a public health official who might actually weigh different sides of an equation and know people outside of his circle and be able to have some input from that into his decision making process.
Speaker 1: But I think it shows he had TDS and that we don't want public health officials to ever be tribaled or have TDS. Do you think we've immunized ourselves against public health officials assuming the role playing tonight the role of God will be doctor so and so. Are we over that right?
Speaker 12: I think to some extent we are, because there's a large portion of the population that just simply won't accept that next time, and maybe to our detriment, they won't accept good advice from public health officials because of the trust that was that was just frittered away under Fauci. Right, there is a risk of that, but I think we have to some degree gotten past the idea that this guy that we had just hand over the wheel of all rational risk analysis and all of our civil liberties to one dude who has been at a government funded science foundation for his whole life.
Speaker 13: It was not smart to begin with.
Speaker 12: It was myopic, it was stupid, and I hope many have changed the ideas about whether they do that in the future, although the people in my Twitter replies suggest that many of them are still into it.
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, very much so because they love the control. Boy did some people love having control? Now you're wearing red, So I'm going to bring up the Red Team. In the days of the Cold War, when the CIA had a big report, they always had a Red team in as well to challenge it, and the Red team had equal status and authority. I think we need red teams on everything that matters. Mary Catherine, what do you think.
Speaker 13: Yes, that's how you learn to think.
Speaker 12: You have to have your ideas questioned, and like, look, Fauci was so high on himself. He's in meetings at the time, according to his diary, with folks from the CIA who are like, we have some intelligence that tells us that perhaps the Lab leak is possible. And even though he knew it was like a totally reasonable position to take, he trashes the people at the CIA, like, they.
Speaker 13: Don't know about science.
Speaker 12: Well, they might know about intel, and perhaps you could share those ideas and come up with a instead of a conspiracy theory to block the theory that was totally reasonable.
Speaker 1: Now you know what Iron Dome is, and you know what Golden Dome is. I wrote a piege for Fox Tomorrow and the Democrat Dome that covers the Manhattan Beltway media elite that capes bad stories away, stories that are bad for Democrats. Hilary's Server, Hunter's Laptop, Russia, Russia, Russia, Tony Fauci Diaries. I think it's going to work on the Diaries. I think it'll be a non story in two days. What do you think.
Speaker 12: I think you're correct to the extent that this is a powerful story. It's mostly for vindication for those of us who have paid attention to Fauci throughout I do hope it it escapes containment.
Speaker 13: No pun intended to some extent.
Speaker 12: Because that would be healthy for inoculating the public against this kind of thing in the future. But I do think people are pretty dug in about this, and I doubt that those many of those who played a part in these diaries, by the way, workshopping question with Fauci for Fauci uh not pushing back up on him.
Speaker 1: Pose you mentioned that on getting hammered today and I haven't seen that yet. They workshop question, isn't that a fireable offense? It isn't my world.
Speaker 12: I mean it should it should be, right, what's more of a fireable offense? Like beyond that, By the way, it's just the entire philosophy with Fauci, which was that this incredibly powerful bureaucrat who was unelected, any even tough question to him was some kind of violation of our societal code, when in fact that was their whole jobs. Like why isn't he getting pushed back against? I talked about this on CNN at the time and got many funny looks about great quarry. You guys should get tough questions.
Speaker 1: I want people to listen to the getting hammered for that clip. I want to close. We got thirty seconds, Mary Catherine, I'm expecting a major escalation tonight over Iran, are you and do you welcome it?
Speaker 12: I do, and I welcome it because I don't think there's a way out of this without forcing them to reevaluate. The straight of horm Mews a calculation, and I think a bunch of people are shifting resources as we speak, trying to find solutions to that.
Speaker 13: But the more economic and military pressure on them, the better.
Speaker 1: Yep. I hope they capitulate, and sooner rather than later. Would you warn the people of Tehran to get out of town? I think that's the one thing we might want to do.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean it sounds like something Trump might want to do because he's expressed.
Speaker 4: That in the past.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he done more hurt civilians and he doesn't like our troop in a hard way. But boil boy. I think he's mad. Mary Catherine ham from getting hammered. Thank you so much for joining me. Don't go anywhere America except over to our Huewitt dot com. The food for the Poor banner is at the top. It says give food. Thousands of you have stepped up to do that ten dollars to one thousand dollars. You have three thousand dollars contributions yesterday. Thank you to everyone who's recognizing that there's a food crisis in Central and South America. Food for the Poor is the best not for profit in that world.
Speaker 4: World.
Speaker 1: Your contributions are tax deductible, or you can call them in at eight five five three five nine forty six seventy three eight five five three five nine forty six seventy three, or just go to Hugh hewittt dot com and go up to the top there and you'll see the banner give food, and please do. I'll be right back. Stay tuned. Welcome back, America. I'm Hugh Hewitt, joined by former Congressman Garrett Graves. Hello, Garrett, how are you? Welcome to the Hugh Hewitt Show.
Speaker 6: Hey? Thanks? You all doing great? How about you?
Speaker 1: I am good. I want to know why you want us to go to open primaries because I've always been sort of an opponent of open primaries. Let me know your thinking so I can chew on it.
Speaker 6: First of all, I grew up in South Louisiana.
Speaker 14: We had open primaries my whole life, so I didn't know any different, But after serving in Congress for a day, I realized how much power has been given to political primaries, to parties. Look, the reason we declared our independence and flipped over this whole model of government is because we wanted people to be empowered, not having a central government empowered. And the open primary system preserves that whole philosophy of allowing an individual to be empowered. Do you think about these wildly partisan districts where you have only the party primary that really matters. If it's a Republican district, whoever wins in the Republican primary wins, you're isolating in some cases a third or forty percent of the electorate, not even giving them a chance to vote effectively. So I'll say it again, this just comes back to power being transcendent, being within the individual, and it represents that respects that very philosophy.
Speaker 1: Now, if you go to open primaries, though, let's make sure our definition agreed. Anyone can vote in either primary Republic under a Democrat.
Speaker 14: No, No, what would happen is everyone's on the ballot and anybody gets to vote for them. So there's no party primary. Look, you still have parties. They can still endorse, they can still raise money. But you're in a situation where you're not blocking people from voting or forcing them to vote on just one ballot. Everyone's on the ballot. You can vote however you want, for whoever you want. You can vote for a Republican here, an independent there, do however you think the best candidates will represent you or lead your government.
Speaker 1: That's what California as I live there from nineteen ninety twenty sixteen, and they moved to a jungle primary. It destroyed the Republican party. Garrett absolutely destroyed it. We will often end up with two Republicans running against the republic for a district are the most vast majority Democrats because redistrict thing just pushes all the Republicans given a supermajority, that it's going to be extinct because of the jungle primary. And I think it also happened in Washington's eight.
Speaker 14: What what destroyed the Republicans in California is the Democrats, meaning Democrat governance has chased Republicans out of the state, looking for states that that that are governed by by more rational thought. That that's not what That's not what destroyed the Republican party anywhere. What this simply does is that it allows for people to vote for whoever they want who in the world empowered a political party or even a party convention that says, Jane Doe is going to be our singular candidate, and that's the person you can vote for if you're a Democrat, and John Doe is going to be the singular Republican candy, that's anti republic it's it's it's contrary to the very concept of of how our government or why our government.
Speaker 6: Was formed in the United States.
Speaker 1: We have to continue this another time. But jungle primaries were put pushed by billionaires from Silicon Valley. They thought it was a good government thing, and it ended up empowering the teachers' unions to destroy Republican I live there for twenty seven years in.
Speaker 6: California. Is an anomaly.
Speaker 14: You have the Speaker of the House and the majority leader, both Republicans elected in Louisiana under an open primary system.
Speaker 1: Well, I just know my own experience where the teachers' unions and the tribes and the state employee unions not named teachers are in control of the money. They gary mander and destroy and the jungle primary means that there won't be a statewide Republican elected there probably for the next twenty five years until everybody leaves and the state collapses. Same thing happened in Washington State. So maybe Louisiana is the outlier and not California. The last word to you, Garrett.
Speaker 6: Look, that's not how I'll see it. I'll say it again.
Speaker 14: The problem in California is you have liberals that are leading that place. You've had the Conservatives that have left and gone to states like Texas, Louisiana and others that are governed by more rational thought. That doesn't have anything to do with the open or closed primary. It has to do with poor leadership.
Speaker 1: Well, Garrett, why did you get into it? I'm just curious what ticks you off here because you were twenty years of republics.
Speaker 6: Sure, sure, I'll tell you why.
Speaker 14: Because when I have to take the oath of office, have to take the oath to everyone, why in the world would you set up a system to where you're out there only trying to attract a certain ideology for half of the election cycle. Whenever you take the oath of office to everyone, it's a flawed system that distorts outcomes of elections. Why do you think you have these DSA candidates winning in New York. It's because the closed primary delivering them, because you're getting the fringe candidates under that system. It's not allowing for the full electorate to participate.
Speaker 6: I'll say it again. That's why we declare their independence. To flip this podel over.
Speaker 1: Okay, we are going to respectfully disagree, Garrett, but we'll continue the conversation down the road and I'm going to bring you the retreats in California. Thank you, my friend, Garrett Gray from Louisiana. Always good to see you. Don't go anywhere America. I'll be right back. Welcome back in America. I'm Hugh Hewitt, one of our favorite senator of dead. Fisher of Nebraska joins me now center Fisher, good to have you back. I got to say your colleagues are putting up with a lot of nonsense. Pete Ricketts, your seat mate from Nebraska, as to run against the guy who hopes he thinks the guy you beat hope they think he's a football coach. Dan Sullivan, your colleague on Armed Services, has to run against a fake Dan Sullivan and Susan Collins, your colleague on Appropriations in Armed Services, has to run against a new person that they just swapped out. Are the Democrats that desperate?
Speaker 5: Well, I think the Democrats, you know, they're trying to fool the American people. They're not going to be able to fool Nebraskans. And I hope the same will apply in these different races. You know, if you are a Democrat, run as a Democrat. What we've seen in Nebraska, they put up a Democrat for this Senate, she made it through the primary and now she's pulled her name off the ballot. So the same guy that ran against me, he's running against Pete is an independent. Gives him a clear path to be able to challenge Pete. But it's so disingenuous, you know, it's just not being honest to the voters of these states.
Speaker 1: It just it's like Alaska where they got a Dan Sullivan to sign up to try and confuse voter. It makes me creepy.
Speaker 5: I mean, they try anything, They try anything.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the serious stuff first. Let's start with Iran. I expect a massive response. President promised that tonight, but I want it to go on for a while. What's your take on the sort of response that ought to follow and how long it ought to go on for.
Speaker 5: Well, the President has to be able to show this strength we've seen I run continue to attack and attack American military at bases now and allow that to happen. We have to protect our troops. There's supposed to be a ceasefire that hasn't held at all. I am very supportive of the President stepping forward and doing what he has to do to make sure that this stops, and that Iran quits with their nuclear ambitions and comes to the table and answers.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope that you get an NDAA, a National Defense Authorization Act. I just broke my own rule about no acronyms. I hope you get an NDAA through. I am sort of astonished that in the middle of a battle with Iran, the United States Senate Democrats are blocking an NDAA. Has that ever happened before?
Speaker 5: I don't remember that happening in my time here, Hugh, And it was very very disappointing in committee, where we've worked so hard, as we usually do in a very bipartisan way, Republicans and Democrats on the Armed Services Committee here in the Senate, we came together, we have a really good product that we were able to vote on. But what we saw even in the committee at the markup, it ended up we only had four Democrats vote yes on the NDAA that we had worked with them on to put their priorities in their ideas, the things that they had studied that our military men and women need. We agreed on that. Nine of them voted no. Usually we only get one no vote, you know, and that's Elizabeth Warren. But this time we had nine. And then when it came to the floor, not one Democrat would vote to move the NDAA for forward so we could handle and be able to process a manager's package amendments, which Republicans and Democrats have their priorities in these amendments that they want in as well. But they all thought, followed Chuck Schumer Schumer, they would not advance the NDAA. And I think that shows the American people just how little, how little value they're putting in the resources that our military men and women need to be able to complete their missions. Very upsetting, very disappointing.
Speaker 1: I believe that that like Senator Collins, you're also in appropriations. Are they cooperating on appropriations because the Ron battle costs a lot of money and we have to resupplier ammunitions. Are they any better over there, Susan.
Speaker 5: Collins, if anybody can pull this together, she will be the one that does it. And she has been saying that lately. Patty Murray has stepped forward. But we've heard that before and right now, I have not seen the evidence that we are moving forward to be able to get appropriations done. And here again, Hugh, the American people need to know that this is something we have worked on in a bipartisan way with Republicans and Democrats, working in a transparent way. We hold hearings, we do markups publicly. But yet the Democrats are sticking together behind Chuck Schumer who wants to close down the government. He wants to shut it down. And that again, it's just our responsibilities to provide for this nation, provide for our military.
Speaker 1: Well, let's close on an upbeat note. I'm glad that the Russia sanctions bill passed yesterday. Does it get through the House and what will it do for the Ukrainian cause? We got two minutes center.
Speaker 5: Well, these sanctions I think are extremely important. And as you know, Lindsey Graham worked on this the day before that he passed. And to be able to have a good strong vote here in the Senate with the believe it was over eighty votes. To have that strong vote here in the Senate, that's sending a message that this is something we agree on. We know that having sanctions on the personal wealth of some of these oligarchs in Russia, to have it on their financial institutions, to have sanctions on their energy sector, that's what's going to, I think be the sledgehammer. Sledgehammer that we need to bring putin to the table and his invasion into Ukraine. They have put up a good fight, a strong fight. They have made tremendous progress in the last few months. We had Zelensky here yesterday with a meeting with all senators, Republicans and Democrats, and it was I think important for us to hear his views on the war, what he needed, what his hopes were that the United States would would be able to help them with, and sanctions was at the top of that list. And so I was very pleased that we could do it. Hope the House gets it dev fast.
Speaker 1: Great honor A great way to honor Lindsey Graham. Senator Deb Fisher of Nebraska. Always good to talk to you. Thanks for your work on armed services and appropriations and for everyone in Nebraska and everyone in the country, especially our men and women in uniform. Thank you, Senator Fisher. I'll be right back in America. State Grace America, and welcome to our three of today's you he would show, and I'm starting with United States Senator John Houston from my home state, the great state of Ohio. Senator, welcome back. We got lots to talk about today. I want to begin with your bill that you put in about chatbots, because I just welcome my eighth grandchild this week and I really do worry about all of them and the new technology, especially the chatbots. What does the bill do so how big is the problem? In addresses?
Speaker 15: Well, we would require parental notification. We want to make sure the bill that chatbots don't expose young people to inappropriate information, whether that's about things related to sexual orientation. It's also about we don't want them impersonating children so that people can do ugly, nefarious things imitating children. There's a long list of things that we're trying to do to protect children. We've learned our lesson, i hope from social media. We know that the algorithms addicted children to those platforms, that they sent out things that were harmful for them, like suicidal ideation, transgender information, all those kinds of things. We want to stop that with chatbots. And this is really just the next generation of trying to prestract our kids in the digital world the way that we protect them in the physical world.
Speaker 1: So Senator Congress has tried a few times in the past, hought these cases in corn law for a long time to regulate the Internet, and they've run a file at First Amendment protection. How closely are you working with staff and Committee council to make sure that you thread the needle that the Supreme Court will say, yes, this is appropriate.
Speaker 15: Well, we are working closely, and I have some experience on this because I had legislation that I worked on when I was Lieutenant Governor of Ohio that would require parental notification.
Speaker 4: Again, we're just.
Speaker 15: Trying to treat kids in the digital world same way to do in the physical world. You can't go in and buy cigarettes or pornography or things like that until you're of a certain age, and there's a way you can check for that. You can do that in the digital world as well, and we know that because Instagram and other places are creating teen accounts, we know that they have the ability to determine these things, and we know that it's possible. And actually, the Sixth Circuit upheld after the District Court shot down, are our first try at this. The Sixth Circuit upheld it, we may end up getting that Ohio law as it relates to social media and prenal notification before the Supreme Court. So I think the courts are a much more friendly when it comes to children on these matters because we're talking about kids in the digital world rather than in the physical world. And I see the courts coming our way on these issues.
Speaker 1: Well, I compliment you on getting a state law through because that does pave the way for model legislation. If it's been upheld by the Sixth Circuit, I hope it does get this COTUS. Let's move to the Save America Act. We need voter ID and California was trying to get it is on the ballot finally in California this year and the Attorney General out there, changed the name to try and confuse voters because it's overwhelmingly popular. Save America Action Pass. Now, I am a believer in the filibuster. Is there any hope that the Democrats will under the eighty twenty issue that this is.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Well, I've voted for the Save of America Act six times, and I've led the photo ID provision of it because as a former Ohio Secretary of State who oversaw elections, we have a photo ID law that works great in our state. I just wanted to take that to the whole country. But we and we got fifty three Republican votes. So every Republican senator voted for my photo ID bill, which is goodich is part of Save America, but not one Democrat did. Chuck Schumer went out and stood before the media and said, well, we don't oppose photo ID, it's just the rest of the stuff.
Speaker 4: We don't like.
Speaker 15: So I said, okay, I'll give you a straight photo ID bill. Chuck Schumer stood up on the floor and opposed my bill. The Democrats, under no circumstances are going to vote for Save America or photo ID because they're held hostage by the radical left that doesn't want that policy in place, even though over eighty percent of Americans support it.
Speaker 1: Secretary of State in Ohio and I can't remember if you did one term or two terms there, Center of Houston. I went.
Speaker 15: I oversaw two presidential elections to to gubernatorial elections. I had a case that went all the way to the Supreme Court to make sure that we were keeping the voter rules secure.
Speaker 1: It was a wonderfully efficient system compared to California and Virginia, both places where I live. Has that has that become a model for other states because it did work. It's like Florida, Ohiolan and Florida kind of set the standard when it comes to voting rooms.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well, Ohiland Florida got punched in the nose in the early two thousands because we were swing states, right, and so we were getting sued all the time. So both of us were tried and tested and built good election systems. I'm going to make a case to you, not just for election security for voter ID but election administration. In California, they want to turn election workers into signature handwriting experts to make sure one signature matches the other. And that's the method that they use to count ballots, and what do we see happens with that? It takes them weeks to get this done. It's a simple process. If you have a photo ID, you just show the photo ID, you validate the voter, you count the ballot. You would improve the way you administer elections as well as improve the security of them if you use this technology.
Speaker 6: They're using eighteenth.
Speaker 15: Century technology, like come in and make your mark and let us decide that the mark you made forty years ago when you registered to vote looks like the same signature that you have today. That's an absurd way to conduct an.
Speaker 1: Elect Democrats have absolutely no leg to stand on this, and I hope you campaign on this. I hope everyone campaigns on this across the country. Well, let me, by the way, brag on the Buckeye State from number thirty four to number one in business climate. How did that happen?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was a long climb.
Speaker 15: I've been involved in all of it, as in my different roles. In Ohio, we were a dying state, as you know, Hugh. At one point in time, businesses were closing, people were leaving.
Speaker 6: We started to do things.
Speaker 15: Like tax reform, cut the income tax, over time from seven point twenty five percent to two point seventy five percent, eliminated three business taxes. We have lowest corporate rates in the country, eliminated the death tax, invested in workforce development, and in our infrastructure, and CNBC took us from the over time from the thirty fourth worst state to do business to the best state to do business. Now we have this works. We have more jobs than any time in our state's history, one of the lowest unemployment rates we've ever had in our state's history. And so when you create a great environment, imagine this, people invest there, they move there. And guess what when you don't California, Illinois, New York, people leave and move somewhere else. That's why our great experiment of fifty states doing fifty different things as wonderful for America, because we compete and we're happy that Ohio is now number one.
Speaker 1: Ye Bacaulia last week in Florida at the ALEC conference, and he was pretty happy. He watched your old job to be lieutenant governor. I hope he wins.
Speaker 6: I know, I hope he gets it. I hope he and I and Vivek get that job all right.
Speaker 1: Last thing, perfect way to honor Lindsey Graham. The bill you helped co sponsor with him, the Russia Sanctioned Bill passed yesterday. I can't believe anyone voted against that, but good on you. Ukraine needed the help and Russia needed the punchdown. Any anything that needs explaining about that bill of the audience, Senator of Houston.
Speaker 15: Well, I would just say that the short of military action, financial the financial pain that you can cause is the most effective tool we have. We've seen it work very effectively against Russia in the past and Iran in the past. Look, our military strikes are harming Iran, but.
Speaker 5: Our our our.
Speaker 15: Efforts to cut off their oil supply and their revenue are maybe having an even bigger impact on them from from that standpoint. So the the ability to sanction countries is a very powerful tool.
Speaker 4: And changing behavior.
Speaker 15: This is a good thing. We had Zelensky in to visit with us yesterday and other European leaders. They made the strong case that with the exception of the of the ballistic missiles getting through and needing some basically a defense system for that, that they're winning the war against Russia. The number of casualties and deaths that they're imposing on Russia versus what Russia is getting to them is really a pretty remarkable turnaround. It's using those technologies to do it. But the sanctions, the sanctions can change behavior. Those are things that can cripple economies and countries and bring them to heal and hopefully get peace.
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy getting to know Lindsay? Over two years he was a regular on the program, and it always made us laugh.
Speaker 6: He's so funny. He's so funny.
Speaker 15: I enjoyed getting to know him in my brief time. The very first time I ever spoke to Lindsay Hugh, he saw me in the cloak room when I was a news center. I had been there a couple of days, and he comes up to me and he says, he says, hey, I want to talk to you. He says, I got this Russia sanctions bill. I want to get you on my bill, and and he spends he spends a couple of minutes talking to me about and then he pauses and he goes, hey, wait a minute, what's your name again?
Speaker 1: Always be closing.
Speaker 15: He was always in stelling mode, even before he remember who I was. So I became friends with over the past year and a half and and I'm going to miss him a lot.
Speaker 1: Great story, John Houston, thank you for joining me. Senator, congratulations on the sanctions bill, and I hope you get the AI chatbot bill through just as quickly. Thank you, John Houston. Go anywhere, America. I'll be right back. I'm going to be joined by Danny Platka from AI talking about what ought to happen tonight in Iran. Next on the View Hewet Show, Welcome back, America. I'm Hugh Hewett, Danny Platka. Shane, your fellow at the American Enterprise Institute, joins me. Danny, it's a very important day. As we talk, we learned that drones from Iran have hit a gas storage facility in our port and in Egypt, and of course a surprise attack on our Jordan base last night. Present very emphatic on Fox News this morning talking to Trey Yink saying we're going to blanking blank the beatout beat that blanking blank out of them. What do you think that means? What do you think it should mean?
Speaker 16: Well, let me start with what I think it should mean. Not that I haven't said this before to you, because I have. We need to go in there. We need to finish the job. What to finish the job mean. It means no more sort of tactical smack here, smack there, retaliatory strikes. It means systematically go in use the intelligence that our forces have gathered over the ceasefire that took place, the several ceasefires that have taken place, take out their remaining missile Arsenal Prime Minister NATANIELO says, one to two thousand remaining missiles, take out whatever infrastructure they have for their nuclear weapons program, whatever remains, take out whatever bad guys. And if it were me and I were King of the world, help the Iranians help themselves. Would that last part? I'm not sure as part of the plan, but I think that it ought to be.
Speaker 1: Well, let's start with the target list and get specific. I hope that we drop as many moabs as are necessary on Pickaxe Mountain, just to take that off the table. Regardless, the Israelis think it's dangerous, so I think it's dangerous. Then. Admiral Montgomery has suggested all of the dual use power central stations and all of the dual use facilities we can find, plus IRGC assets. They're in the construction business, they built ships, they make a lot of money from a variety of businesses. He wants that taken out. That's a big bombing campaign, not just missiles, but a big you know, RB two, s RB twenty nine our b ones. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 16: I completely agree with it. Look, you know, it's important to understand that part of what Iran describes as its quote unquote resistance economy is built on the idea that all outsiders are shut out of the Iranian economy, so that the IOGC, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard course hataml Ambia. It's like, imagine to yourself that the Army Corps of engineers with a business. These are the guys who built the metro in Tehran. Okay, no bid contracts. They're in the business of absolutely everything. They're all rich. And I couldn't agree more that even that conglomerate itself is a dual use. The profits fuel terrorism and Iranian efforts to dominate the Middle East hit them hard.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, would you also give the people of Tehran a couple of days to get out of town so that Look, there are hospitals that will lose power. There are people that need power. There are a lot of ninety one million innocent Iranians and a quarter million I are GC people. It's an Israeli tactic that they perfected in Gaza, but it's still level Gaza. I don't want to destroy Tehran, but should we get people out or give them the opportunity to get out?
Speaker 16: Look, I think the problem that we face you is one that will be very familiar to you. Spend a lot of time talking about what the Israeli strategy was in Gaza. It was to deny the kills of Palestinians that Hamas wanted, and you can bet these are the same people. Yes, of course, the Iranian leadership or Shia Hamasa, but these are at the end of the day, is longest extremists. They don't care how many Iranians die. It wasn't just they killed forty two thousand back in January. They would love us to kill more. So, yes, I would like us to give them the time, but I recognize that Iranians who seek to flee will also be in the gun sights of the regime.
Speaker 1: Right now, I also hope this is Hugh Hewett. No one has said that that Israel is flying wing to wing with us tonight and what is supposed to be a massive response. Would you also like to see would you like to see the Israelis and our golf allies in this overnight and perhaps for many days campaign.
Speaker 16: So we already flew with the Saudis to strike targets inside Iraq that were being directed by the IRGC to hit at the golf and to hit at the Saudis. I obviously like it better when our allies have skinned in the game. I think that the concern for the Israelis is that the President is not serious that we may go in. We may take a couple of pot shots, maybe we'll even hit them hard, but it won't be the necessary strikes, and all it will do is anger the snake. All it will do is bring down the wrath of the Iranians on Israel without the necessary payoff of incapacitating them as much as the Israelis and the Americans together there could if the leash was taken off.
Speaker 1: Well, let's assume for a moment that the Israelis say, thank you very much, we're going in and we're going to stay in. I don't think the President win interfare with them, at least publicly.
Speaker 16: Do you you know that I admire a lot of what President Trump has done in a lot of ways. But I think that the Israelis very much year that there are a bunch of different games going on. And what they saw was that when we started the last cease fire, when we signed the Memorandum of Understanding which you and I talked about, for that, there were very serious efforts from some inside the White House, not Donald Trump but others to blame the Israelis for the entire war. And so for them, they're going to come in, especially because they've got an election this fall, They're going to come in very cautiously. And that's everything that I've heard from the Prime Minister's office is, Look, there's no one who wants to take out this regime more than the Israelis, even more than we do. But they want to do it seriously, and they want to finish it up. And one thing they don't want is to become a political football in internescent right wing wars in America.
Speaker 1: So our last question, Danny Podca, I want to make sure everyone hears you clearly, we should begin a huge opinion maximum combat operations that we have in the area and keep it up until they either cry uncle or the regime collapses. That's my view, because we can't deal with them. What's your view?
Speaker 16: My view is exactly the same. Look. At the end of the day, we've got to recognize that the regime is the problem. We can hit them, we can take away their capabilities, but they are going to be committed to reconstituting them. They will have Chinese help, North Korean help, and Russian help. They are the cancer that has destroyed the Middle East, and at least part of our thinking needs to be to help the Iranian people free themselves and help the region free itself of this regime. It has to be in the back of our minds because that, at the end of the day, is what is going to close this sad chapter.
Speaker 1: I agree. And setting up an opposition government and funding it is a good way to do that from the outside. Danny Plutka from AEI, all right, thank you. D Plutka on X. D Pludka on X.
Speaker 17: What happens when citizens begin to fear the very agencies created to protect them. This weekend, the America two fifty film series presents police State. Dinesh Desuza examines intelligence, law enforcement, and the warning signs of government power. Turned Inward launched Saturday and Sunday at seven pm Eastern on Salem News Channel.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to America. I'm keth Hewitt ab Greenwald, Executive editor of Commentary Magazine. This very morning, I was listening to Commentary Debate with Matt Continetti. They taped it yesterday. Gott to drop this morning about what ought to be done. That was before President Trump. Abe went on talk to Trey Inks today and said, we're going to blanking blank the blank out of them. Can't say any of those words because I'm an FCC compliant broadcast. What does that mean to you? What do you want it to turn out to be?
Speaker 18: Well, at this point, it's very hard to say what that means, because he's the president, has said many similar things before. Sometimes they have preceded some pretty ferocious kinetic operations against Iran. Sometimes they've preceded some tit for tat, and sometimes they've preceded another round of negotiations. So it's very hard to say what they would mean. What I'd like to see is, at the very least our commitment to keeping up the blockade and to targeting the regime's ability to work their will on the straight to the best of our ability, given the potential problems that we're having with defensive munitions, and additionally, we've got to take care of Pickax Mountain sometime.
Speaker 1: Well, let me cite all my agreements with you. Pickax Mountain. Number one, every moab that we've got as far down as they can go, and the entrances and everybody around it. Number two, I would darken Tehran. I might give Tehran one day to empty out, two days tempty out, to tell the people, we don't want to hurt anyone that's innocent, but you're not going to have power for a few weeks, so go somewhere else in the country. Admiral Montgomery, retired, now over at the Foundation for Defensive Democracies, has suggested every IRGC connected business, they're in shipbuilding, they're a construction. They make money that way below that sky. I and then I just pound everything that moves abe and I wouldn't stop for forty days. And I would ask the Israelis, the Saudi, the Kuwaitis, everybody to come in. They hit us in Egypt today so they're not. They're not in any way, shape or form dealing with us right now, and so I don't I don't see any use to trying to get them back to the bargaining table there. To quote the President, there'scam and to quote Secretary of Ruby, though they're they're crazy.
Speaker 18: I I actually agree with you on all points. My The the only thing that may have sound sounded like restraint in what I was saying is that I'm cognizant of all these stories about hur our problem with that we're running low on defensive munitions, and I don't know what kind of Iranian response the regime is still capable of to the kind of attack you're talking about. That would be my only reservation about carrying out the kind of attack you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Now, would you The X level that I haven't talked about because I've heard both arguments is the oil supply infrastructure. And there are two parts of that where it's stored and where it's pumped. And I have no compunction about taking out every pipeline that there is and every bridge that helps them get resupplied. I just think they've shown their hand last night with Zelenski and the country, that yahoo in the country the Lindsay Graham funeral. They chose that night to try a sneak attack on our base in Jordan. These are not people that you can deal with.
Speaker 4: Amen. They're in fact escalating.
Speaker 6: They're very clearly escalating.
Speaker 1: So that's not the US escalating.
Speaker 6: I think we should.
Speaker 18: I agree with you, and yeah, I have no problem with taking with going after every bit of oil infrastructure we can get at. You know, it was many months ago that we started hearing well they may have to cap the Wells soon, and then then that'll be disastrous for them. I'm no longer waiting for this floating date in front of us, when when Ron will have to captain Wells and go broke.
Speaker 1: I'm all for going straight at it now. The last big question a impact on the elections. I actually think it will help the President and the Republican Party if he demonstrates commitment and strength here because and I might even put the resolution on the floor if Leader Thune is listening, put the resolution on the floor authorizing the president of conduct. They are clearly an enemy of civilization and they're part of the Alliance of authoritarians, the Alliance retiremants the axis of aggressors. Call him what you want. They're clearly part of the bad guys. Maybe and we should ask Israeli in too last couple of minutes to you.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think this look.
Speaker 18: I think a decisive, strong show of force against Iran here would definitely help him, because where he's at now is he's not doing himself any favors just in terms of the pure politics of it, let alone the sort of world changing effects. But this he's someone the administration has to figure out how to do what you're talking about and address the munition's shortage, either by saying it's not true, by saying we have such and such a plan to be in such and such shape by a certain date, or I don't know what, but it's now become a very strong counter narrative that is chipping away at any potential.
Speaker 4: Advance in our effort there.
Speaker 1: Hey, thank you. I hope you guys Kate pushing those great podcasts out. You're on a funny schedule this week, so you screwed up my trundle this morning. But I appreciate the effort you guys are putting into it. Abe Greenwald follow him on x at Abe Greenwald and listen to the commentary podcast Every single day, smartest podcast in America period. Thank you, Abe,