Speaker 1: Life Audio on today's episode of Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: Maybe many of you know Larry Elder. Larry Elder, what if they call it called full disclosure, full disclosure. I am a friend, good friend of Larry Elder, and we have been for many years. We were radio colleagues on the same station in LA for many years. Then I moved over to the Salem Radio Network.
Speaker 3: That night when I called my mom Dennis and told her I met somebody from LA who's in talk radio. And she said who, I said, His name is Dennis something. Dennis starts with a P. I can't really can't remember. It'sid Prager. I said, yes, Oh my god, you met him?
Speaker 4: And what did he say?
Speaker 2: What do you look like?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 4: She acted like? He was Elvis? I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 1: That's coming up on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Welcome to Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Here thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs had to purchase Dennis Prager. There's rational Bibles. You go to Dennis Prager dot com.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, I'll go to the Dennis Prayer Show. The music might be actually familiar to a fair number of you in the southern California area, because one of the most successful talk show hosts in America now a podcaster, and one of the most successful podcasters in America is Larry Elder. And I know it's very touching for me to have Larry on my show because I brought him to radio and he became a national sensation, and not only in broadcasting and podcasting, but also in writing. If you read his column each week, you will get an education. And I say this obviously people know, with total sincerity. And he and I used to work on a same station many many years ago in Los Angeles. Maybe many of you know Larry Elder. Larry Elder. What if they call that called full disclosure, full disclosure. I am a friend, good friend of Larry Elder, and we have been for many years. We were radio colleagues on the same station in LA for many years. Then I moved over to say the Salem Radio Network, and things have been wonderful and a blessing since Larry's show was one of the most popular in Southern California, a very difficult place to have a popular show because people live in their cars in southern California, and it's it's really the center of talk radio and just a household name Larry and I. When we go back to what year, I.
Speaker 3: Would say we probably go back, Dennis to around nineteen ninety round nineteen ninety nineteen. I first met you when you were in Cleveland. I picked you up from the airport. You might no, but we met before that, right, but even before that on approach, Well.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. I was shitting in.
Speaker 4: Who's being interrupted now? Just asking? I'm just asking, you know, well, it's just a question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're offended. I wasn't. That's a different. I am not easily offended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm a thins akain that guy who's easily offended. Is that what you're saying? You mean I'm being racially profiled on the Dennis Brager Show. I am shocked and I am appalled.
Speaker 2: See that's the thing. The man plays the race card like that. It doesn't even you could be.
Speaker 3: Don't leave home, Dennis, don't leave home without it. Honestly, I never leave home without it. I get my license, I get my race card, social Security card, and I'm out the door.
Speaker 2: Well, now you know why I pushed I never pushed like I pushed to have Larry Elder on radio. He was a lawyer who did a periodic guest appearance on a Cleveland TV show. And I'm telling you, I'm always I'm always a little afraid to invoke. Oh God did something, but it almost seems divine. Only God knows why. I was asked from LA to sit in for the early morning Cleveland television show for a week. There was no point to it, but I mean it was fine as a lovely show. I'm not insulting anyone. It didn't amount to anything, but it was an experience. And one of the guests, I mean we had, didn't I also have somebody who spoke to their dogs.
Speaker 4: Or yeah you did? I mean that wasn't wasn't Turtle don't.
Speaker 2: Did you come on with you? I don't. I don't remember. Did you come on? You know you don't do dogs? I got that. Anyway, It was a very eclectic show, shall we put it? That's right? And it wasn't My co host cute? She was very attractive. Yeah, okay, I remember that. That was the only thing. I remember two things, three things the dogs, The co host was cute, and Larry elder. That's all right. That was it, and Larry came on to discuss some legal issues.
Speaker 4: It was sexual harassment in the work. Was that what it was place? And I didn't do a demonstration.
Speaker 3: I actually described what it was and the Supreme Court case to come down, and I was on to talk about that.
Speaker 2: So those things you said to me were not did not constitute harassment.
Speaker 3: They okay, So I have this, although I do you quite appealing inns. For good reason, I've never really told. Since we're full disclosure.
Speaker 2: I may not survive this hour sale. And if you folks start hearing a repeat some highlight show, it's because they had enough.
Speaker 3: Of Flower and Dennis I years. I think I think you're hot. I'm just going to say, by the way, I don't mind that I am touched. Okay, say it all right? Are we done?
Speaker 2: Yes? We are? Okay. So I had Larry on as this, this lawyer who would periodically come out. Now, folks, let me tell you seriously, I there's an interesting little observation here. I learned many many years ago that overwhelmingly I should not make quick first impressions. I'm not kidding, because I've often found that they were either too negative or too positive. On rare occasions, I have totally gone with the first impression. I thought this guy was terrific. I went back to Los Angeles and I told the station manager at that time, George Green, and I always I always cite him because he's he was a wonderful man in my life and in your life. I said, George, I found this great.
Speaker 3: Part genius, part maniac. But it's a great guy.
Speaker 2: No part. No, he was part genius and part Dodger fanatic. I don't remember the maniac part, but Dodger fanatic I remember and listening.
Speaker 4: But no, it's all right, it's not. That's okay, it does I understand.
Speaker 2: And now he was a call guy, maniac, it's just a maniac. Didn't didn't apply there, But anyway, it doesn't matter. So I said, George, I found this guy who happens to be black, who was awesome and comes from comes from LA. Let's try him out anyway, it says if I had said to George, to his credit, because he gets us all the time. So nothing happened. So I I just decided I will get did I get a tape from your or I just invite you on the show.
Speaker 3: I sent you a tape, and but you also invited me.
Speaker 2: Right, So I invited him on the show, and I said, George, you have to listen. I'm having this guy I told you about from Cleveland. He's back visiting his parents. And your mother, of course, became your late great mother, became very famous because you'd have her honus as a chairman of the board and Supreme Court justice and everything. And so I had you on. It was one of the great hours of radio that I did, and I will I'll never forget because among the things you talked about was your lack of a great adulation for black leadership in America.
Speaker 3: Specifically for people like Jesse Jackson. And that's correct.
Speaker 2: And I believe it was a black caller who called up and who liked me but couldn't stand you immediately, right, because I could say what I wanted, but that's dismissed. I'm white, but for you a black place, say what you did. Please. So the guy said to me, Dennis, where the hell did you find this guy? And you immediately answered.
Speaker 3: I said, Dennis was driving down the street. He saw me at the corner of Florence and Dinker, holding up a sign and saying we'll speak negatively about black leaders for food.
Speaker 2: At that point I laughed so hard and uncontrollably that we had to go to a break, a break, and that had never I've never lost control. That was the one time ever before or since that that has happened. And I knew I was going to bug George forever until you got a show. You got a show, and the rest is history. You went nationally, You've had a number of great TV shows and so on, and you are you are an important voice. His columns, by the way, are if there were ten columns a week I read, Larry Elder is one of them. Of course I read about one hundred, but if I can only read ten, yours would be one of them. And that's a big compliment. You know, you're up there with Dennis the Menace, and you.
Speaker 4: Mean representative Kucinich.
Speaker 2: I think, actually at it was a lot of fun anyway.
Speaker 3: But Dennis, again, thank you so much for that very kind introduction. You of course have underplayed your role and what happened. You were quite insistent that that George listened to me and for you had me on for two years. You had me on Christmas one year and then Christmas the next year. And when I met you in Cleveland, I told you that I've never really listened to talk radio. I knew nothing about it. But you can tell when the hosts like each other when they don't. And Dennis was giving you the cliff notes version of how he got me into radio. If I may elaborate a little bit, Dennis, we met in Cleveland. I was living and working in Cleveland, even though I'm from here. And it was a live show called Here in La. Here in La called Morning Exchange, kind of like a Today Shows, probably the longest running local show in the country, and Dennis sat in for the host. I was there as a contributor. I'm a lawyer and I would talk about legal matters, and so Dennis, I walk in. I see this big guy from California with white hair, and people tell me that the normal guy's not going to be there. You got a guy named Dennis Prager. He's from LA really, and I didn't know Dennis. I mean, I knew Dennis was a talk show host. And the reason I knew that is because my mom loved, loved love talk radio, and she loved Dennis Dennis is her favorite host by far.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And that night when I called my mom Dennis and told her I met somebody from from LA who's in talk radio. And she said who. I said, His name is Dennis something. Dennis starts with a P. I can't really can't remember, said Prager. I said, yes, Oh my god, you met him?
Speaker 4: And what did he say?
Speaker 2: What do you look like?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: She acted like? He was Elvis. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: And so Dennis invited me on LA radio when I next came home and I said, I'll be home in December.
Speaker 4: Dennis said, fine.
Speaker 3: So I called you and I got a message and you didn't return the call. And I thought, frankly, Dennis, it was something that you said to be nice to me.
Speaker 2: Let's have lunch one Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 4: You didn't really kind of mean it right.
Speaker 3: And so I'm sitting having dinner with my mom and she said, did you call Dennis?
Speaker 4: And I said, well, yeah. She said, what happened?
Speaker 3: I said, left message and he didn't call back. She gets the phone, she puts it in front of me. She says, call him again.
Speaker 2: God bless her.
Speaker 4: So I called again. I got you.
Speaker 3: You had me on that night, George Green, the general manager of the station, happened to be listening and Dennis, after the show was over, talked about how wonderfully thought the show was. And I said, Dennis, two years ago, I sat in in Cleveland for a guy and I fell in love with talk radio, and I sent a tape to KRLA and to KFI and to KBC. I didn't hear from anybody. And Dennis, since you said I did so, well, would you mind maybe talking to somebody around here about He said, I will be delighted. I've never recommended anybody in my life, but I'll recommend you. But for Dennis leaning on George, George would not have given me a two day audition. George gave me a two day audition. After one day, he hired me. And I've been on KBC for twenty years.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Dennis Prager Show, and I am with one of the more popular thinkers and deservedly so thinkers writers television radio. He pretty much does it all, Larry Elder. Larry and I go back many years. You heard the story just before. It's another reason, by the way, to get Pragertopia, just for just for this hour alone. It's worth subscribing to the show at under seven dollars a month. And I mean it sincerely. You go to Pragertopia at the Dennis Prager dot com or Prager Radio dot com. Larry was on Larry King last night. I just learned because some callers are calling in to make a reference to that fact. And and I just looked at Larry right before we went on and I said, you were Larry King last night? He said yes. And Wolf Blitzer tonight this afternoon, and it's will it all be about the Crowley Gates? Yes, with the beer? Are you primarily And I say this, If the answer is yes, I'm annoyed. But it's it's typical of the media. Are you primarily called in when the issues concerned race interesting?
Speaker 3: You should ask that And the answer is yes. And it is annoying and it is condescending. As you know, I've written about health care, I've written about written about the Welfaret Dapnis.
Speaker 2: And they call themselves this is the interesting thing.
Speaker 3: They called a compassionate liberal Open Mind, right, and Dennis The other day, I'm watching all three morning shows. I'm flipping around. I don't normally do that, but I just wanted to see how they were going to respond to this Gates thing.
Speaker 4: Uh, they had.
Speaker 3: Six quote experts, all of them were black. Now, the person who was called a racial profiler was white. Wouldn't you think maybe they might want a quote white person's perspective on this, somebody from say the the police union or some former cop or somebody to give his or her opinion about what it feels like to be falsely accused of racially profiling. But only blacks are experts in this issue. And all six of their experts, Good Morning America's.
Speaker 2: Even same views.
Speaker 3: All six of the they had pretty much the same view, but they were all black.
Speaker 2: Right, But that's right, that's right. That's called diversity.
Speaker 3: Now, I can't talk about Obamacare, even though I've considered myself an expert.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, This is the thing about liberals. Women have only something to say about women's issues. Blacks have something to say about black issues. You almost never have them have blacks on who have something to say about humanity. It's vile. By the way, I just want people to know because I'm called conservative, and the liberals have created an entire bundle of characteristics of conservatives. I from the beginning of radio, never had women on to discuss women's issues, just to give an and I would say that to them. It was, for example, when I had women pastors on. My very first radio show was on religion, I had clergy of all faiths. If a woman pastor or a woman rabbi was on, I never discussed women's issues. I wanted to give them the respect of you have something more to say than is related to having a uterus. So but in the liberal.
Speaker 3: Credibly it's incredibly, incredibly condescen of course it is. It is limiting, and I consider myself to be a pundit.
Speaker 2: Yes you are.
Speaker 4: Can talk about number exactly.
Speaker 3: You don't have a show for the number of years that I did talking about quote black things.
Speaker 2: Well, right, your your book about the things that a person can't say about America want to be memorized by every American. That's how good.
Speaker 4: What is the actual the ten things you can't say in America?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right. I thought it was ten. But I don't want to get it wrong. Okay, because it might have been nine or eleven and I look silly.
Speaker 3: Inflation is now twelve, that's right, and it's up.
Speaker 2: To twelve twelve things you can't say now about America. That's exactly right. I just I just want to bounce one thing off you. I'm going to tell you a story and then tell your story. Ironically, I'm white, so I'm dismissed when I say that I don't think there's much racism in America, that I think it's the best country on earth for a black to live. And I get Keith Richburn. He's my source for that, the great Washington Post writer wrote a book about how happy he is to live in America after being stationed in Africa for the Washington Post. And of course, obviously he's a black man. And then I will get this has happened my whole career. I have happily a lot of black listeners. One will call up and say or a number will say, well, Dennis, you know, with all respect, you don't know what you're talking about. You're not black, you don't walk in our shoes. And I want you to know every day I experience a racist incidents. Do you know what My answer is, I have an answers. My answer is, okay, what happened today? And every single time the answer then is all right, well not today. So then I no, no, no, no. Then I pursue it and I say, okay, what happened yesterday? Well it didn't happen yet, you know. But you know it's a matter of speech. So I said, well when was the last time? And there's there's silence. I'm not saying it never happens, but it is so far from every day that the line should just be dropped. So anyway, so let me ask you how often does it happen?
Speaker 3: The answer is, how can anybody know that he or she has been quote victimized close quote because he's or her race when there are so many other variables that go into any kind of encounter. I was in Beverly Hills a few years ago. I had on a pair of jeans, a leather coat, two or three days of beard growth, and my car was parked in a parking garage. It had an elevator, kind of a dirty looking little elevator. Wasn't even sure it worked, And I pushed the button and the door opened and there was a black woman in it, and she clutched her purse. She went to the side of the elevator.
Speaker 4: I got in.
Speaker 3: I looked at her, and I smiled, and I said, don't worry, I've never violated the terms of my probation.
Speaker 4: And she starts cracking up. Now that's awesome, as I profiled. Yeah, I was profiled because the way I was dressed.
Speaker 3: Unusual to be in Beverly Hills dress kind of the way I was dressing, she was a black woman. If she had been a white woman and I had been the type of black victocrat that I speak about, that's probably an incident that I would have used to prosplained the racial thing that happened to me that day. In my first book, the one that you mentioned Ten Things you Can't Say in America, I talk about a movie called Virtuosity that Denzel Washington was in.
Speaker 4: You never saw it, nobody ever saw.
Speaker 2: It wasn't a good movie.
Speaker 4: In the movie, he's.
Speaker 3: Supposed to kiss his white co star, whose name I believe is Kelly Lynch. He refused to kiss her, even though it was in the script, and he said Denzel did that he did not want to offend the core audience, which was young white males for this movie. Kelly Lynch said, I'm just I'm just so sad that he didn't want to do that. I'm sorry. I kind of thought our world had gone beyond that end of quote words to that effect, And I said, wait a second, who would be in a better position to know if white males would be offended if a black guy kissed a white woman, Denzel or Kelly. I'm sure Kelly probably knows a lot more white people intimately than does Denzel. Yet instead of saying to Denzel, you're full of it. My brother wouldn't care, my father wouldn't care, my uncle wouldn't care, my friends wouldn't care, or whatever, she just threw up her hands and said, yeah, I guess racism is a much bigger problem than I thought. It's just fascinating to me how if a black person makes the accusation without any kind of corroborating evidence, it's accepted.
Speaker 2: It's a line I developed many, many, many many years ago. If you can't call a black fool a fool, you're the racist. That's my motto. It has been my motto my whole life, and that's what you're saying that's what you should have said. What when you even said it? I was trying to revealing lights be offended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the core, the core audience, white males.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this.
Speaker 2: Dennis, Dennis Jennis Dennis Prager.
Speaker 1: Do you have a question you've always wanted to ask Dennis Prager. Well, now it's your opportunity for upcoming Ask Me Anything episodes of Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. We're inviting you to leave Dennis a voicemail. He'll personally answer selected questions, and your question could be featured on a future episode. Whether it's about faith, morality, politics, history, relationships, happiness, for simply navigating life, Dennis would love to hear from you. Just call eight seven seven two four three seven seven seven six and leave your question. Oh and be sure to include your first name and where you're calling from. That's eight seven seven two four to three seventy seven seventy six. While we can't feature every question, will listen to every voicemail. So call today you may hear Dennis Prager answering your question on an upcoming episode of Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. And thanks for listening and supporting Dennis Prager. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's timeless wisdom.
Speaker 2: Larry Elder doesn't need an introduction to any of you. He's a national talk show host. That's the theme that he comes up with. I personally composed it. Larry's very grateful. Larry also has a film Oil, which is a documentary which is really powerful, Uncle Tom, and it features black voices basically that you don't read in the New York Times ever. New York Times says, when I think about the brains that have not appeared in the New York Times once, like Tom sole I mean Tom Soil's were the most brilliant people of my lifetime, never appeared in the New York Times. Walter Williams, brilliant economist, never appeared in the New York Times. The best of my knowledge, Larry Elder ever appeared in the New York Times. I mean all of the all of the black writers at the Wall Street Journal, they would appear there. Larry, I got a question, and this sometimes, as you know, when you ask questions, you have worked out an answer for yourself, but you're curious about what the guests will say, I have not worked out an answer for myself on this question, which is something because I've thought about this for decades. Why is Charles blow New York Times well paid in a position that anyone of any color would die for New York Times columnist MSNBC regular contributor, Or he's just angry? Where is the successful middle class, upper middle class black anger coming from?
Speaker 3: Years ago, there was a cover story in Newsweek called the Rage of the Black middle Class by a guy named Ellis Cos He's the same issue, and the thrust of it appeared to be that here I am acting as if I'm not black. It appeared to be that because I don't feel that way at all, I don't understand. I never have understood this kind of anger from the time I was a kid, and never understood it. Dennis, I'm in a class in middle school with a bunch of black kids. Maybe the school was ninety five percent Black, five percent Asian, one or two white kids.
Speaker 2: And this anger.
Speaker 3: And we had the same classes, same teachers, same instructions, same neighborhood, same recreational facilities. But a lot of my peers were just pissed. And I think it's because they felt that they should be pissed because of historical injustices, things that have happened to their fathers, their parents. You know, we're just one generation from Jim Crow. My dad grew up in Athens, Georgia, and he told me a lot of stories. They didn't happen to me, they happened to him. But a lot of kids felt that they needed to have some sort of it was morally appropriate, socially just for them to be angry for people in the past who couldn't stand up and be angry themselves. I guess all I know, Dennis, is I've never felt that way. My father always taught my brothers and me to work hard, and whenever we complained, he would say, are you kidding? When I was your age, so and so, and he would tell us something and you'd be appalled at the conditions that he suffered, and it would make you realize that you should stop whining and pick up the cards and play them. So it's attitudin though, and Dennis, that's my riddle. And the whole thing happy Black a Republican right, and so the whole thing is is more attitudinal than it is even political. To not perceive yourself as a victim to not perceive yourself as aggrieved?
Speaker 4: Can I look to not.
Speaker 3: Look for the worst possible explanation for a phenomenon? Cop pulls me over? He pulled me over because I was black. My goodness, dudes. I was on a ride along with a buddy of mine who's white of Italian extraction, Derek, and is at night and we're following this car and the car pulls over to a gas station. Two black guys come out. They see Derek and they start saying, you racially profiled. Now they look at me and they ignored me, even though I'm black. It didn't fit the script, so they just pretended I wasn't standing there. But it was just and did it with passion. And if they were actors, they're good. And they got out of the car and they were just convinced that Derek had pulled him over because they were black, even though Derek didn't even.
Speaker 2: Know what race they were. Was at night. I always asked that question. I can if you're behind the driver, which is what most police are, I didn't even know during the day, you know what color they are.
Speaker 3: And then, as you and I have talked about this before, I have a lot of people who don't agree with me, who are detractors and so forth. Why aren't you pulling for me to be right? Wouldn't it be better if Larry were right? Wouldn't it be better if Larry's vision of the world were right.
Speaker 2: I'll be back with Larry Elder.
Speaker 4: I blame Alan est.
Speaker 2: It's like blaming Canada though it's wrong. That doesn't work, and it doesn't work. No, blame Allan, Blame Allen. That's why he's the living martyr. We do blame him. That's exactly absolutely.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: I have a dear friend on the line who is one of America's leading thinkers, Larry Elder, and we are on many of the same stations around the country, and he he has written a book on Fathers and Sons, which is a very powerful personal memoir now went paperback a lot like me, A father and Son's Journey to reconciliation. Larry, good to have you on the show.
Speaker 6: Dennis, as always, thank you very much for taking the time. I really do appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I know you're a good man, Larry. I want to ask you about something that is a sort of a project of mine. You know, like first Ladies, they all seem to take a project, whether it's fitness or child literacy. I have a pet project, and that is getting adult children who don't speak to their parents to start speaking again.
Speaker 1: See.
Speaker 6: I think that's a wonderful project. There's a book by a religious writer named Jane Roberson called My Father's Face. He talks about how this prison chaplain decided to improve morale at a federal penitentiary where he worked, went to a greeting card company and asked them for five hundred Mother's Stay cards. And the greeting card company thought it would be a good pr campaign, so they gave this guy five hundred free Mother's Day cards and he distributed them to the men at the prison, and morale did, in fact improve. So he thought he'd replicate the same thing during Father's Day. I think you know where I'm going with the story, Dennis. He went to the same company, got five hundred cards, distributed them to the men. Not one inmate, not one wanted to send a Father's Day card to his father. It turns out none of them had a relationship with their father, or if they did, it was awful. And it turns out most men behind bars have either no relationship with their father or a bad relationship with their father. It is by far the number one social problem in this country, the large number of kids, especially boys, who were brought into the world without a father. The number right now all total in this country is forty percent. When I was in college in nineteen seventy, five years earlier, Daniel Patrick Mornihan later on became a Democratic Senator from New York, wrote a report called the Negro Family, a Case for National Action. At the time, twenty five percent of black kids were born outside of wedlock. The number now with twenty five percent of white kids born outside of wedlock. The number for black kids is about seventy percent. It's about fifty percent for Hispanics. And Obama said a kid raised about a father is five times more likely to be poor, nine times we're likely to drop out of school, twenty times were likely to end up in prison. And the book I wrote is about my relationship with my father. My father and my mother were married fifty some years when my father died, so it wasn't like I had an abandoned father or anything. I had the kind of father that most boys have, which is the father in the home. And it turns out after I wrote this book, Denis, I was blown away by how many boys men had the same kind of father I had. Hard toss in my case, World War two vet not emotional. I never said I loved you, and I thought my father really did not like us we were kids because my father's job was to punish us. When he got home from work, he pulled out the belt and he would just whale on us. And I thought my father spanked me too harshly, too frequently, and for reasons that were too inconsequential. And so every day I grew up with this seeding anger towards my father. My true brothers felt the same way, so I didn't think it was me. I thought it was my dad. The only thing that made my dad feel Dennis that he wasn't a criminal is because my mother loved him, and I could tell she did. And I knew that there was something redeeming about my dad if my mom loved him, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Now I'm fifteen years old, and unfortunately now I have to work with my father because my father saved up his nickels and dimes and started a little cafe in the Peco Union area where we were born. So now I'm twelve years old or so, and I'm working with the sold and Dennis. He would yell at me when things would go wrong, and they always did little cafe, and so everybody could hear your father yelling at you. When he's yelling at you, and it's embarrassing. Now I'm fifteen years old, I love to say to your audience. I had the courage to say to myself, the next time my dad yells at me, I'm gonna sit him down. I'm gonna say, see here, you and me mano amano. I was scared to death with my father, so I was afraid to do that. I just told myself Dennis said, he yells at me one more time, I'm walking out, and I did. Fifteen years old. You don't defy my father, let alone walk out when the place is full of customers, which is what I did. My dad got home that day, he said, why did you walk out? And I said, Dad, I got sick and tired of the way you spoke to me, and that was an act of defiance I'd never done before. My dad looked at me, paid me. He reached into his pocket, pulled out the ten dollars bill that he paid me a day, ten dollars plus tips. He bawled it up and threw it at me as I lay on my bed. He walked out of my bedroom. At the age of I was fifteen again, and I did not speak to my dad for ten years. And when I say don't speak to him, Dennis, I mean nothing. It was easy to avoid him because by the time I graduated from school to seventeen years old, I then went away to college in the East Coast, law school in the Midwest. I would come home, of course, to visit my mom, but I would always avoid my dad. And it was easy to do it because my dad had long hours and I knew what his hours were, so I just never said a word to him until I was twenty five years old. Now fast forward, I'm twenty five years old. I graduated from law school. I passed the cleaven the Ohio Bar, I passed the California Bar. I'm making a great deal of money. I'm twenty five years old, living large. I should be living large and happy and vennis. I can't sleep, and I know it has something to do with my dad. Not that I ever thought we'd become friends. But I woke up that morning and I called my secretary and I said, cancel on my appointments. I'm flying to California. I'll be back in two days. I was living in Ohio in those days, so I came back to LA I didn't want my dad to prepare for this meeting. I walked into the restaurant at one point thirty. My dad was, of course shocked to see me. I had two big bags. He said, why are you here? I said, I want to talk to you. He said, I put your bags from the back. I said, no, Dad, I'm only going to be here for five or ten minutes. I want to talk to you that I'm taking off. He said, okay, wait till we close. So I sat there for an hour and I said to myself, now, Larry, don't take off on him. Just tell him the highlights. He'll probably call you an ungrateful son. You can call him an ungrateful father and an solb for a father, and at least maybe you'll clear the air enough and you'll be able to sleep.
Speaker 2: Hold on, we want to get the rest. It's riveting beyond words. I want to I'm talking about Father's Son Reconciliation. The book, of course, is Larry Elders sort of an autobiography a lot like me, a father and son's journey to reconciliation.
Speaker 1: This episode of Timeless Wisdom will continue right after this. Now back to more of Dennis Prager's Timeless Wisdom.
Speaker 2: So the story, if you just tuned in, the story, is that Larry stopped speaking to his father because of his father's treatment of him. Tough treatment, not abusive, tough treatment. And from fifteen to twenty five, is that correct?
Speaker 6: That's correct?
Speaker 2: And then you learned, You learned, then you walked back. You flew backward. I had met you in Ohio, so I know this. You were living in Cleveland, and you flew back because you were still bothered by not talking to your father. You're a successful lawyer at this point, and your father shocked, obviously to see you in his little restaurant in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: So my dad sat down and Dennis I teed off on him. I spoke NonStop for almost twenty five thirty minutes, every spanking, every slight, everything he ever said or did to me that I thought was unfair or unwarned, I told him. And finally, Dennis, I was out of AMMO and I stopped, and my dad looked up and said, is that it? And I said yeah. He said, you didn't speak to me for ten years because of that, and I said yes. And for the first time I saw my father cry. He said, let me tell you about my father, Larry. Now I knew my dad was an only child, Dennis. I knew nothing really about him.
Speaker 2: And didn't care.
Speaker 6: I didn't like him. I met his mother one time, and I knew that he was an only child. Outside of that, I knew nothing about my father's background and didn't give a damn. And my father proceeded to tell me that Elder, my last name, is not the name of his biological father. I said, what, I said, who is your biological father? He said, I have no IDEA Elder turns out was a cruel guy, alcoholic. He used to beat him and his mother. Whenever he would work. He would bring the mother money home give it to my grandmother for her to keep because he would gamble it away. Come Wednesday, he'd want the money. She wouldn't give it to him. He'd beat the crap out of her. My dad would stop him. He'd beat the crap out of my dad. And I said, how long does this go on? He said five years? I said, then what he said? Well, then I came home. I was thirteen years old. Elder was long gone. You see my grandmother, he said, could neither read nor write. Had a series of boyfriends, each one more irresponsible than the one before I came home, started quarreling with my mom's then boyfriend. At the age of thirteen. She sided with the boyfriend threw me out of the house, never to return. I said, you're thirteen years old Athens, Georgia, Jim Crow South at the beginning of the Great Depression. If she throws you out of the house, he said, yes, never to return. Series of huff jobs. Ultimately he became a pullman porter for the trains and was able to travel all around the country. And for a black BOYE and the Jim Crow South to leave the South and see the West Coast was amazing, and my dad liked the weather. People seemed less racist, and my dad made a mental note that maybe sometime I will travel to Los Angeles Pearl Harbor. Happened. My dad joins the Marines. I said, why the marine's dad? He said, two reasons. They go where the action is, and I love those uniforms. My dad became a staff sergeant, a cook and on Guam as they were waiting the invasion of Japan, the bombs fell. No invasion. My dad comes back home to Chattanooga, where he had met and married my mom, and he wanted to get him a job as a short eared cook because my dad, as I said, was a staff sergeant in charge of cooking in World War two, and he can look at a cake, Dennis, or a pie and tell you what's in it. That's how good he is. So my dad goes all around Chattanooga to get a job as a cook. Ef he gets out of the war and he's told we don't hire any Inwards, he goes home to my mom and said, this is bs. I'm going to unemployment office. Goes to the unemployment office. Lady says you went through the wrong door, sends him out to the door that says colored only ghost to that door to the very same lady who sent him out. He came home and said, told him whether this is BS, I'm going to Los Angeles. I'm gonna get me a job at the short ordered cook comes out here, walks around for two days and is told I'm sorry, you have no references. My dad even offered to work for free to get a reference. They wouldn't do that. He was treated the same way in la as he was in Chattanooga. They were just a little more polite about it. My dad went to an unemployment office, this time just one door. He took the first thing he could get, which was a job cleaning toilets and the Bisco brand bread full time job. Did that for ten years. Took a second full time job cleaning toilets at another bread company called Barbara and Bread, cooked for a weekend on the cook for a family on the weekends, and went to night school two or three nights a week to get his ged. The man Dennis never slept, That's why he was grouchy all the time. You go for having two three hours of sleep, if that day after day, month after month, year after year, then you come home into a house with three rambunctious boys throwing things, yelling, and screaming, and see how you feel. So as my dad was telling me this, Dennis, we talked over eight hours. My father got bigger and bigger and bigger, and I got smaller and smaller and smaller. And finally, after eight hours, I'm crying and I said to my father, Dad, I am so sorry I judge you this way. And my father said, don't be Just follow the instructions I've always given you and your brothers. Hard work wins you get out of life which you put into it. Lara, you cannot control the outcome, but you are one hundred percent in control of the effort. And before you whine and moan about what somebody did to you, go to the nearest mirror, look at it and say what could I have done to change the outcome? And finally, no matter how good you are, how hard you work, bad things will happen. How you and your brothers deal with those bad things will tell your mother and me if we raised men. And I wrote the book about this conversation, and phone I was writing it, my dad would come in every now and then when I would ask him things, and he would say, why are you writing about my little life? And I said, Dad, your life is epic and it's going to inspire people. And the way we've gotten back together is going to inspire people. And that's exactly what's happened, Dennis. I've gotten hundreds of letters all over the country from people saying, until I read your book, I did not pick up the phone and talk to my dad for ten years. I did, and now we're talking. Or I started talking to my father. Or I encourage my husband to pick up the phone and call his father, or I encourage my brother to pick up the phone and call his father. It's really had exactly the kind of effect that I wanted to do. And it shows you not having a father is not a death sentence because my father didn't have a father and grew under circumstances that I think are harsher than most anybody can imagine. And it turned out to be a great guy, hard working, believes in this country and believes in the future of this country. And that's what I hope that the book will impart to people when they read it.
Speaker 2: I'm just riveted, as Alan said, he said, I must have heard this ten times. I could think I could repeat it, and I'm still riveted.
Speaker 6: Well, he was an amazing man. And by the way, Dennis a lifelong Republican, and my mother was a lifelong Democrat, as you know. And when they would sit at the table, they'd have these discussions. And the older I got, the more sense my father made. My father used to say this about democrats. Democrats want to give you something for nothing, and when you try and get something for nothing, you almost always end up getting nothing for something. And the number one problem my mother and father both had, however, was the welfare state. Even though my mom was a Democrat, she knew that it created perverse incentives. And in my view, the welfare state has incentivized women to marry the government and allowed men to abandon their financial and more responsibility. It has been a new tron bomb dropped on this.
Speaker 2: Country, God has it. Ever, the story is inspiring. And as I began by saying, so that everyone can hear, it's a sort of crusade of mind to get adult children to talk to their parents. I discovered through radio. I now ask often at speeches, raise your hand. If you know anybody then that way people are in self conscious, it's not about them. If you know any family in which an adult child just doesn't speak to a parent, and between a third and a half of all hands goes up. It doesn't matter if the audience is conservative, liberal, Jewish, Christian, atheist. It's an epidemic in the country. And try to have empathy for your parents. That's a lot of what Marie's story is about.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager.
Speaker 2: Today's subject is a dual one because they are so related. And I begin with the question of trusting people. The world is divided, you know, there are all these divisions. The world is divided between those who love dogs and those who love cats. We have all of these types of divisions, right, and that's fine, and I get a kick out of that. One division is those who trust people and those who don't trust people. And I am in the group that trust people in my life. And I think any of you who have heard me over any period of time know that I don't think people are basically good. So you would think if you don't think people are basically good, why would you trust anybody. Well, on a daily basis, I am prepared unless given reason not to, I am prepared to trust people.
Speaker 5: I'm currently dealing with trust, and I believe it also goes in hand hand with lies. I think everybody lies, including myself. But the thing is to face those things. One of my friends has been continually.
Speaker 2: Lying to me, and by the way, that's by the way. The interesting thing about lying is especially when adults do this. Kids have their own reasons, but when an adult lies to another adult, it is because the lying adult doesn't trust the other one. The reason that people lie to a friend is very simple. If you knew the truth, you would you wouldn't love me, or wouldn't like me, or wouldn't be with me, or wouldn't stay with me.
Speaker 1: Join us tomorrow to hear more on Timeless Wisdom with Dennis Prager. Visit Dennisprager dot com for thousands of hours of Dennis's lectures, courses in classic radio programs, and to purchase Dennis Prager's Rational Bibles. We want to take just a second to thank the team at Life Audio for their partnership with us on the podcast. Go to lifeaudio dot com to find dozens of other faith centered podcasts and their network, including shows about prayer, Bible study, parenting, and more.