Speaker 1: Life audio.
Speaker 2: Do you often worry about the strength of your relationship? In today's world, even the closest couples can face unexpected temptations. Take my quick and confidential quiz. Is my relationship at risk for an affair? In just a few minutes? Discover potential warning signs and learn how to protect your relationship. Don't wait until it's too late. Get the insights you need to keep your love secure. Visit Danashay dot com ford slash a Fair Quiz today and learn how to safeguard your relationship. That's d A N A c che dot com Ford slash a Fair Quiz. Strengthen your relationship starting now. Hey Hey, everybody, it's Sanache and you're listening to the Rebuilding US Marriage podcast. I'm so glad that you're here on today's episode. If you have probably already noticed from the description, this is part two of a conversation that I had with one of my dear friends, Sylvia Chipman. Sylvia is also a marriage coach, and she's also a really good friend of mine, and we had a conversation in part one about platonic friendships. Is it okay if you are married to be just friends? Quote unquote with someone of the opposite gender, assuming you're attracted to people of the opposite gender. So in that first conversation, if you haven't already listened to it, I would encourage you to listen to that one first, because obviously this conversation builds upon that one. But Sylvia and I shared a lot of personal stories from our lives about how we did this wrong and about how both of us actually ended up in unfaithful marriages as a result of that. So in Part two, we're going to segue a little bit and talk about some of the boundaries that have really been beneficial for us. Now, a boundary is not something that I'm putting on you. It's not something that you can put on your spouse or anybody else. Boundaries are always about what you are going to do. So as you listen to this conversation, I want you to be inspired by some of the boundaries that we have, but I also want you to think about what are some boundaries that you can put in place for your marriage. Remember that boundaries are always about protecting your marriage from harm, protecting your marriage from outsiders, protecting your marriage from relationships that look right but are not right. So with that being said, let's go ahead and jump into this part two of this incredible conversation about can you just be friends even though I don't have bad intentions, even though maybe I'm trustworthy or they're trustworthy. I'm going to dial this that because I don't want this to turn into something that it shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Be right, and it takes maturity, it does. It takes which we didn't have at that stage. Mean, I just didn't have it, and like I said, there was so much emotion happening. I mean, like I said, I really see it for what it is. It was a trauma bond. It was you know, we had gone through something together that was unique and very big for a twenty something year old to be dealing with for years. So yeah, so there could be any kind of unique circumstances. Everyone thinks their situation is unique.
Speaker 3: That's another thing.
Speaker 1: Well, you just don't understand because this or but it's this, And regardless of what it is, are you putting your marriage first? Is it in its proper place? Because it should have been. I should have been able to set my feelings aside for a moment to see where my husband was coming from and how insulting. That must have been for him to see me sharing intimate details about my wants and not wants and hurt with another man like that. For all intents and purposes, that was what we call an emotional affair if we're being honest with ourselves. And I didn't at the time, but I can see it for what it is, and it was, and so I was wrong for that, And years later I would have to give grace for or an affair as well. And it happened into similar fashion a slow burn. You know, it's a somebody telling somebody. The origin of an affair is somebody feeling in need that's not being met, right, I mean, would you agree tot so, all it took was a woman to come along, and it was innocent enough. I'm gonna help this widow woman with with building her fence, because you know that's the way the military works, when somebody in your squadron or whatever passes you pull over together and help their widow.
Speaker 3: You know this.
Speaker 1: So my husband volunteers to build a fence, and this woman just starts pouring and pooring and poor feeding his ego, telling them how amazing he is, like all these things that you know, We're fifteen years into our marriage, so maybe I'm not doing as much if I'm just being honest. And yeah, the enemy crept right into our marriage, and you know, but I had to find it the strength of the Lord to find a place of forgiveness and healing and we did, and honestly, truly, we love each other better and stronger and more intimately today than we ever have. And I praise the Lord for that.
Speaker 3: That's so good.
Speaker 1: But we are aware and we guard our marriage.
Speaker 3: You've got to be aware.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing, is that, like whether you are in your faith, not in your faith, you believe in the enemy, you don't believe in the enemy.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But what I do know is that I do not need to help the enemy to destroy my marriage like he is. All right, He's already on the already always, you know. So I'm not going to give him any help.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to leave any open doors.
Speaker 2: With that being said, though, Sylvia, I do believe that there are times that you can have healthy platonic friends of the opposite sex. In my personal life right now. I was just telling you earlier.
Speaker 3: I have too. I have a couple of guy friends.
Speaker 2: First of all, as a pastor, it's a male dominated industry, right, so I work with men all the time, and even in business, like a lot of there's a lot more women entrepreneurs now, but I mean it's largely a male space. And so I'm around men all the time, and I'm very friendly, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Also very touchy, like I hug everybody. I'm constantly touching people.
Speaker 2: So I have to like watch myself literally, like do not be rubbing on that man, you know, Like, do not don't give so many hugs like it's not it's.
Speaker 1: Just a side hug exactly referred.
Speaker 3: Hug and put your elbow in between you, you know.
Speaker 2: But so I have these guy friends who I adore. I think they are amazing fathers, great husbands, they are all of them are in ministry or business somehow, like they are good, solid guys, And to be honest, I would love to just hang out with them and just be like, let's go and get dinner or lunch or whatever it is. But I do have to be aware of the appearances an evil thing, right, And then not even just the appearances evil, but just people talk and somettimes like you might not have any bad intentions, but like people will talk, and because I have a history, unfortunately, I have to be aware that even in my again good intentions, this is probably not the best thing. And so what I recommend is groups. You know, if you have a platonic friend, get to know their spouse, get to hang out with their spouse. Like I tell my husband, I don't mind if you have female friends as long as I like the female. You know, but you telling me about Sally Sue, who is that? I have never heard of her before? Absolutely not, no, no, no, no, We're not doing that. So I need to know my husband's friends. He needs to know my friends.
Speaker 3: And like them.
Speaker 2: So you got to know them and like them, and then there does need to be some trust there, and trust is built by spending time with people. So my husband's not going to trust my guy friends if he doesn't, if he's never spent time with them. So it's like, all right, you know what, y'all, let's go, let's go hang out, let's all go to dinner, let's all go bowland, let's all go to wherever we're gonna go. Right, Let's let's spend time together. And I'm gonna be me and that conversation, like I feel like this, if I can't be myself because my husband's there, well that's a red flag right there, right if I got a dial back and act different than.
Speaker 3: I normally had.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, like I'm still the same. So we were just with one of my guy friends earlier in the week, and I'm a hugger, right, So the first thing I do I see him, I go up and I give him this big hug. And then him and my husband do like the whole dap me up thing, you know, like, what's up.
Speaker 3: Man, what's up? They're not gonna hug, right, they give each other dap. And so I told my.
Speaker 2: Husband I first, I was like, you know, we really need to hang out with him and his wife, Like we really need to get to like all hang out together. And so I kind of have probably more stricter boundaries than like most just because again my history.
Speaker 3: So I don't text men late at night.
Speaker 2: I don't really like just sit there and text back and forth all day with a guy I will send means like a lot of times we'll send like funny gifts, we'll send like jokes, we'll talk about business like so it's not like we never talk, but my phone is open. There's nothing in my phone that Sean would see that he would be like, what's this like, you know. And there was a situation, this was probably about ten years ago in business.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: I was friends with this guy. And the truth of the matter is I wasn't a fit. I wasn't physically attracted to this guy, but spiritually, oh.
Speaker 3: My god, like he was a pastor. He was like everything that came out of his mouth was just like Jesus. You know.
Speaker 2: Sean picked up on it, and I was mad. I was embarrassed as what I was because I was trying to like hide the fact that I definitely put this man up on a pedestal. And you know, I was like, he's ministering to me. Well really he wasn't, you know what I mean? Like, and so Sean called me out and then he reached out to the guy, and I was so embarrassed. I was so embarrassed, you know. But that's what needed to have happened, because if Sean would have let that thing go, who knows what would have happened. And that and that little innocent relationship. So all I'm saying, all we're saying you all today is that if you're going to have friends of the opposite gender and you're married, proceed with caution. You need to know yourself. You need to know your weaknesses. You need to just be aware and be honest and say you know what, and we need some safeguards around your If your spouse does not know your friend, that's a that's a problem.
Speaker 1: That is a problem.
Speaker 3: They need to know them.
Speaker 2: They need to They need to have their phone number, they need to know how to get in touch with them like they need to.
Speaker 3: It needs to be like that.
Speaker 2: If you have to hide a friendship or if you're like, well they just don't get along, well, then you don't get along either, like you're just it's just too many things that can go wrong for you to even set yourself up. That's my opinion. I don't know if you have something different.
Speaker 1: But I agree. I I definitely have more stricter guidelines in place for our marriage. Again, that's not to put it on anyone else, but that's the space that we feel comfortable in and given our history and what we choose to do. So we don't have opposite sex friends, we have different couples we're friends with and we hang out together. Even my pastor. If I have a ministry meeting, we usually there's two of the pastors or will be definitely out in an open space, you know, so we have safeguards. I'll just be perfectly honest. I don't want my husband having female friends. I'll just put it right out there and again, if that's me, then whatever. But no, I don't want you to have a female friend that you're going out to lunch with. Nope, I don't. Because my husband's an attractive man.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: He's a good man, he's a godly man, and that is attractive to people. And I have found that women don't care if there is a ring on a man's finger, if anything maybe makes some more trial.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Sean used to tell me that, like girls would like approach him more when he was wearing his wedding ring. Yeah, and you know this is when he.
Speaker 3: Was in the thick of all his mess, you know. So I'd be like, why aren't you wearing your ring?
Speaker 2: He's like, actually, you think that that's doing It's almost like a magnet.
Speaker 1: So so no, I don't trust I don't trust women. I certainly want women. I don't know. If you want to get to know people as a couple, I'm for that. Let's hang out. I don't text for any other reason than to set appointments, like if i'm you know, setting a meeting with a pastor or something like that. I'm in ministry also, so I do communicate with pastors and elders and things. But my husband, he even jokes, this is funny, but like, we have this elder in our church. The man is in his seventies, godly man. He's like a father to me, like I've adopted him as my father. He gives me hugs, and he gives me kisses on my cheek. And my husband's like, look at old Jim trying to get put up on my wife.
Speaker 3: Look at Jim trying to run up.
Speaker 1: He's I can get a little too close. I was like, babe, mister Jim, come on, I adore that man.
Speaker 3: But no, so all.
Speaker 1: Joking asign you really have to be honest with your spouse and honest with what you're comfortable with, and not to feel intimidated or feel like you're being petty or jealous or whatever it is you and your spouse are important. You are the priority, and your feelings are important, and you want to respect those. So have a frank discussion and set boundaries and honor those boundaries, and that is the best thing you can do for your healthy marriage.
Speaker 3: A men. Amen, Well, y'all, this has been so great.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear maybe you have a different perspective, Maybe you have a different story, maybe you are like a unicorn and you.
Speaker 3: Have been able to navigate these botonic friendships with opposite genders with no issues.
Speaker 2: I want to hear from you, So if you would send me a DM on Instagram at missus Danish, I would love to hear your perspective, and I would love to hear if maybe something Sylvie your eyes said that really challenged you, or maybe hopefully cause you to think about something in a different way or gave you a different perspective. Our goal, like you just said, is we want your marriages, your relationships to be healthy. We want them to thrive. We want you all to be all that you can be as we are continuing to grow and so all that we can be. We've done a lot of things wrong, and we've done a lot of things right, and so we want to share the good, the bad, ugly, and all that happens with marriage, Sylvia. Before I let you go, I'm asking every guest that I have on the podcast, what has been your best relationship to someone has ever given you?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, that's so many. Oh, especially doing what we do, Like there's like, oh, oh my goodness, you know, really communicate, Honestly, I think I stress that more than anything else. Like if you are not communicating, then your your marriage is operating with a broken leg. Because in all aspects, like your sex life will be better if you're communicating what you like and don't like totally, your intimacy, your relationship, your conflicts are going to be healthier if you're communicating. So you have to speak. There's nothing more irritating when than when someone says, my spouse doesn't do this, and I'm like, did you ask them? Did you tell no?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do right, You got to tell them if you're not speaking it, they don't. They're not mind readers. So be verbal. Do not be shy, say what you want, say what you don't want, be clear, and then also be a good listener. If you're going to be speaking, you better be ready to receive too. But communication, Agi, there's nothing like it.
Speaker 3: So good, so good, Well, thank you, thank you. We'll have to have you back because you kept bringing up trauma bonds.
Speaker 2: That would be a great episode, So we'll have you back to talk about trauma bond.
Speaker 3: I love awesome. Well, guys, thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 2: You know, as we love to end every episode and saying, a good relationship is not one that works. A good relationship is one where you put in the work.
Speaker 3: Like's get to work with my friends. I'll see you on the next episode. Be sure to subscribe to the podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, that does it for this conversation. I hope that you really enjoyed this conversation, and I hope that maybe we provoked you to think about things a little bit differently, or perhaps you're like, no, Dana, I completely agree with everything that you and Sylvia talked about. There is probably nothing that makes me happier as a podcast host than to hear back from you all. So for those of y'all who send me emails and just say keep up the great work, we love the show. For those of you who have already posted reviews, I so appreciate that. And if you want to just give me your take, maybe you've got a different take, a different perspective, maybe you have a story in this particular area that you want to share with me. You can send all of your feedback to me at Danashay dot com fort slash contact.
Speaker 3: That's d A.
Speaker 2: Nache dot com fort slash contact. Well, I want you to also check out my friend Sylvia's work. She is an incredible marriage coach. She loves premarital counseling. I think I said that on the part one when I was giving her intro. So if you are getting married, or if you are married and you're looking for a marriage coach other than me, then you can find out more about Sylvia. So I'll be sure to link to her website and all things Sylvia in the show notes of this podcast, which you can find at Rebuilding Uspodcasts dot com. This is episode four one six. Thank you so much for being with us today. I hope that you and your spouse will have these conversations. And let me just say one thing before we wrap. I often say to my premarital clients, you need to have these conversations now. Do not wait until you're married, you've been married for five, six, seven years, and now y'all are arguing because of the whole platonic friend conversation. Have this conversation on the front end of your relationship, preferably before you get married, so that that way you all can determine what are our boundaries going to be, how are we going to operate in this marriage concerning platonic friends. So, with that being said, thank you so much for being here today on the episode, and I look forward to seeing you next week. Take care of my friends
Speaker 1: Had born at Rams