Speaker 1: The money show Business Unusual.
Speaker 2: Business Unusual is brought to you by Business Uterurancesurance DOTZ dot today to switch and save today. So I don't know if you remember the last time you went for a job interview, And I've noticed on LinkedIn. Maybe it's just my feed, but there've been plenty of stories from people who've explained how badly they were treated. The person interviewing them doesn't care. They get there, they're told it's not happening, They go for an interview and they never ever hear anything back. Adviita and I do is the Africa MDA Jackhammer Global Adviita Good evening. I suppose one of the reasons this is happening is that in our context, if you have a job to give, you have so many applicants. There's so many people who are so desperate.
Speaker 1: Exactly. So I think the reason is that in South Africa we do have a tough job market where companies are holding the upper hand. So these disorganized hiring processes have become normalized and it's quite problematic. And I know this feels like something of a lighter topic, but you know, we've really been in undie over the last few months with senior candidates complaining about really poor experiences that they've had at the whims of interviewers. And I think the humanity has gone out of the process. Companies have forgotten that they're not buying commodities, they're hiring humans.
Speaker 2: I mean, I would imagine it's also very risky. I mean, we live in a social media age now. Maybe people in the middle of their careers don't want to sort of go on social media and say I was treated like this, but actually people will, and you'll get dressed for it. You will.
Speaker 1: The reality is, like you said, we live in a hyper connected world and people can and will share negative experiences with their networks directly or even on platforms like LinkedIn. And I think we all know that WhatsApp messages travel faster than life does, so it not only makes it unlikely that the same candidates will re engage with the company, but it also erodes the talent pipeline by poisoning the network. But even on the flip side, when you account for the fact that the company does have the upper hand even when a candidate is appointed, employees have had a positive candidate experience are more likely to be satisfied and engaged in their roles. Therefore, if the experience is poor, even a hired candidate may not be as happy as you'd want and could be treading water until the next good opportunity comes along. And companies don't really think about why they're not attracting top talent. But when you track metrics like an increase in quality applicants or higher office acceptance rates reduce time to full roles, there's tangible evidence that you're doing something right, and so when you can't track those things favorably, you're doing something wrong.
Speaker 2: It's often just that people are ignored, isn't it. They send in their cvs and they hear nothing back. I think plenty of people send in a CV and almost are surprised when someone comes back. Nowadays, I mean that says so.
Speaker 1: Much badly, and I mean again, candidates are being treated like faceless numbers or just words on a page. That being treated as cvs. AI is filtering out candidates, And while it might make a recruiter's job easier or an HR person's job easier, it really again takes the humanity out of the process, because even an automated response is communication, and people just want to answer one way or the other. They really don't want to be treated as an inconvenience.
Speaker 2: So what's the right way to treat someone? I mean, in a way, it's just the normal rules apply, bekind make sure that you're actually professional, do the usual things.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, I think that the highest impact, lowest effort changes are about communication and respect. So when you do have a candidate in process with you, outline what the process is, tell them how many interviews are coming, what the timeline is, You know what hoops they're going to have to jump through, and don't keep adding hoops, and then ensure that the interviewers know what they're doing. Interviewing is a skill. It shouldn't come across as an interrogation. The panel shouldn't presuppose that the candidate doesn't have other options. They still need to sell the company as much as the candidate needs to sell him or herself. And then yeah, it's the communitytion thing. Always close the loop, even if it's a negative answer, whether you're going to hire someone or not. People shy away from delivering bad news because they just don't want to be the bad guy and they don't know how someone is going to react. So you can prepare what to say. You can have a script for yourself, because ghosting isn't okay when you're dating someone, is definitely not okay when you're taking someone through an interview process. And I think what companies or just individuals and companies forget is that each candidate that you interview could become your customer or your future employer. These things come around, and so if you treat someone badly, it's not going to be forgotten. What's that saying. The acts never remembers, but the tree never forgets right.
Speaker 2: Yes, and what goes around comes around too. I mean, you never know that someone you treat badly will come back to you in a different way. Do you need to pay a little bit of attention as to who in your company is doing the interviews, doing the approaches? Just make sure that actually that person is behaving in the right way, because one person could interact with dozens of people on a daily basis and sort of trash your name for dozens of people.
Speaker 1: Yes, and no, I mean I think anyone who's involved in a hiring process, everyone should be singing from the same hymn sheet, and you'd be surprised at the number of times that that doesn't happen, So I think there needs to be somebody to coordinate all the efforts. But yes, anyone who has external interactions absolutely needs to be at the top of their game, and that often isn't the case. I think that there are some things that are time saving efforts, and there are some things where you know, senior managers or hiring managers may not want to get involved until later on in the process, but later on in the process it may be too late because the damage has already been done.
Speaker 2: Advita and I do thanks so much, Africa MDAR jack Hammer Global