Speaker 1: Seven two Afternoons with.
Speaker 2: Seven o two Afternoon Spotlight Edition with BBC Brit. Find your happy every night and that's what we are doing. BBC BRIT's drama Slate is packed with mystery, charm and just the right amount of chaos. And helping us spotlight the best of it is entertainment commentator and content creator Buselo Vilagazi, known for his sharp fashion take, celebra commentary and must watch TV reviews on TikTok and Instagram, Buiselo has teamed up with the BBC Brit to share his personal happy time picks, shows that bring joy, escape and just the right dose of crime flate, crime flavored fun. On seven o two Buiselo, Welcome to the show. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 1: Hey, how are you doing Listen?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to keep the energy of the new year, New me in July.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it is really stressful, I know, and I like what I just spoke about. People now sort of with the goals and stuff from car to carpet.
Speaker 2: Yes, but sometimes it's not time for the car, it's time for a new cup.
Speaker 1: Ads O. My way from from business to minding your business.
Speaker 2: Before we can go from Buslo tell us a little bit about what got you into doing what you do as an entertainment commentator and content creator.
Speaker 1: I love this stuff. First of all, I was studying. I remember studying in Cape Town. I was doing my master's in intellectual property, which is something very opposed to entertainment right. And then I was I used to watch TV and I used to have a lot of opinions. I was like, you know what, actually, let me record myself. Then I started on YouTube. My audience grew from then. Subsequent to that, I went to TikTok. People loved my reviews, and now I'm doing this full time. Hey, now I'm doing this full time and I'm enjoying it. On I always love sharing my opinion controls of people organically, you know, I think, and also in a way that also resonates with people. Someone's like, oh, you know what what is saying is actually what was on my mind. I'm glad that he noticed that. So that's why I am doing what I'm doing today.
Speaker 2: Look, I love it for you, and I think the more entertainment commentators there are, the better for the industry as a whole, because people will look to individuals like yourself to say, hey, if this person says, go watch it, and there is a little bit of that culture that's gone. I mean, I recall the time when very Wrong was the person and everybody was like waiting for the late Barry Wrong and his soul raist in peace to share all of those details. So let's then jump into what you look for in a grade series.
Speaker 1: A sense of sometimes a sense of relatability, not entirely because I mean you also so that is the greatest cape for you. You know, just write something that is out of your world, you know, sometimes a sense of let let it resonate to someone if if even if it's something that is not in their world, but someone is like, hm, I actually relate in terms of why this person made this move. Of course, the affects such as you know, great storytelling, cinematography, how the story is written and then and executed. But I'm not I don't like a show that there is a lot of theatrics. For me, the simple the better, you know, I prefer storytelling. It's telling that it's just a thoughtless and simple not much to theatrics and all of that. I just love good.
Speaker 2: So you're not a fan of the Fast and Furious franchise.
Speaker 1: You know what that that that that kind of a show. I don't mind like sports shows like f one, like like you know those shows. I mean that's the premise of what the show is about. I just mean, don't it just just keep it simple, you know, sometimes less and small, you know.
Speaker 2: With you completely and really it is less. Definitely is more. Okay, So now let's talk about you and crime dramas. Apparently it's your version of self care. Please explain why our crime dramas your version of self care.
Speaker 1: So I think it started from my because I studied law right originally, so I dealt with a lot of cases when I was in the law field, and you find that sometimes in the eyes of the public, someone is guilty. But the more you read the the dockheads and all the details of the case, you find that actually, no, there is a loophole here. You know, it's not as how it seems, you know. So I think that's my love, actually best love for for crime drama, you know, just investigations. And I got to work us at the law clinic where we used to help people looking at afford you know, lawyers, and I got exposed to the either side, so I always love to watch that on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, And I mean in terms of crime dramas, are you more for the American style or the British because they're really not the same. And I think the Brits they do really well in the who Done It genre and it's got a very different pace the American crime dramas. They do have a little bit more theatrics, if we're gonna call it that. But I feel like I have space in my heart for both. But which which are you feeling?
Speaker 1: I'm all British. Hey, I'm all British. I'm all Brettist.
Speaker 2: Love it, love it, love you know, I'm.
Speaker 1: All British, you know, because I think the Americans, again, theatrics just a lot of unnecessary stuff. It's gout predictable, you know, how and how how it detective walks, you know, they add, they throw papers, they they you know with What I like with the British approach to crime drama is it's very witty, funny and at the same time it's all about, you know, let's get to business. The pacing is a bit slow compared to you know, the American crime drama. But they don't have all these unnecessary things. Just there's just drama, you know, that is just unnecessary and that is quite predictable. But I love I love the British approach, approach when it comes to when it comes to crime drama. Yeah, compared to the one in America.
Speaker 2: Okay, now you've picked a few favorites on BBC brit from Beyond Paradise to did Velly. Let's talk through some of them and what exactly you love about them?
Speaker 1: All right, all right, right, no problem. Starting with Death Valley, led by the incredible Timothispol people know him as because actually on Harry Potter, actually Peter pere Grew. I am excited for this one specifically. So he's portraying this guy who wasn't who's an actor. So the actor he's been all his life is portrayed a detective, right, and now he has to be a real life detective. It's one thing to be an actor portraying as a certain role. I can be an in a show, I can be a radio host, but it's one thing when I have to really host a radiosol in real life, you know. So from acting, now he has to really go investigate and his colleague is actually younger than him, so that's it's very fun the age difference. I like to say, when it comes to Death Valley, they just a mixed matched duo, but also a great match in there, like a match made in heaven, because they sort of compliment to one another, you know when they do agree, you know, to certain things. So Death Valley is an amazing show, and the reception also in the UK has been exceptional. People are looking forward to see if there is going to be a season two because there's something different, you know that people have not seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, this value from prime time to crime time. It sounds like something that we can just makes you check out, especially if they have that dog comedy about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, okay in the common thread between all In fact, with all these shows that I recommended, they all have bent at the same time. It's all about okay, let's get down to business, you.
Speaker 2: Know, definitely. All right, then you've also chosen Death in Paradise.
Speaker 1: Yes, Death in Paradise beautiful story. So it's set on this fictional island, Saint Marie, you know. So there is a there's detective, uh, there's a new detective who comes from London and he's here too. He's there there in the in the island to solve some crime. But there's a plot twist surrounding a wonder result. But there's a there's a huge plot twist when it comes to the island and it's something attached to his family that he discovers while working and saving the community. There's a huge plot twist there, so he has to make a follow there's it's amazing. It's really really amazing. I would highly recommend it. But yeah, people must look look back to the plot. There's just going to be a very shocking plot toast that everyone's gonna like, whit, wait a minute, this happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, And I'm nervous about this because this is season fourteen. I mean, how much catching up does one need to do to get up.
Speaker 1: To this up to date? You do not need to even catch up just to watch the Currencys in because every every episode there is and it's it's like sort of your Law and Order kind of vibe. Every every episode has its own case.
Speaker 2: Oh there's a stand alone situation.
Speaker 1: Precise there's no you don't need context from maybe the first season and all of that, No, you don't need all of that. You just each episode is a standalone there's a new case, so you don't They don't even make reference to things that have happened in the past, so this case is treated differently. So I love that you asked that's actually and then so I know you're gonna go to to Beyond Paradise. So Beyond Paradise is actually a spin off from Deaf in Paradise.
Speaker 2: Oh, so it follows one of the characters doing something else somewhere else, but within.
Speaker 1: The same genre, within the same genre. So on season one, two, season four of of of Death in Paradise, there's this detective. His name is Humphrey. So he was on season on two, season four. Right, now he got his own spin off because he was a fan favorite. It's called Beyond Paradise now, right, So there was Deaf and Paradise. Now it's Beyond Paradise. So he's he's moved into this small town with his with his partner, and he also gets to investigate in the same sort of style from you know, Death in Paradise, but it's this city. It's in a small town. But this small town has a lot of sacrets and it's very mysterious but also very witty and suddenly people are going to enjoy it. Honestly, this one is extremely funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I literally am feeling like there's a very clear trend when it comes to some of you your favorites based on those three, if you had to choose your number one recommendation.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would say death in Paradise. Death in Paradise because I think if you like the Caribbean style, because it's in a space and it's such in this frictional Caribbean island, the accent, the vibe, the people. You know, people in the Caribbean are very like dramatic in the very dramatic in how they speak now in their approach, I would say Deaf in Paradise. And I think that the plots that I told you about is going to resonate with a lot of people, you know, because yeah, it touches something that everyone their family basically, So people are going to be like, oh, okay, I actually relate to this, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, well definitely try them out. And then finally BBC Bridge, I mean, they really have quite a variety of dramas. Why do you think it really is becoming the go to for shows a feel good and that are groupping.
Speaker 1: You know what, I think I love the shows on BBC Bridge because they're not too heavy. You don't know something that's gonna weigh on you. You know, you kind of even sleep at night, you know, because even in real life, you know, even if one is working as a you work in the police division, you still have moments where you get to breathe and have fun and make coffee and make jokes with your colleagues. You don't want something that is too heavy that you kind of in sleep. So I like the right balance the investigation. But also again you still feel good man, you know after watching the show, and also you see yourself in these characters. And I love I like laughing, so I like good bad better on it. So even if it's the theme could be or general, could be serious, but can we laugh a bit because we've been in real life. We all go through situations, but we always find a moment to laugh. In Zulu City Fee.
Speaker 2: You know, I am all for laughing and all the listeners will know that for a fact. Weselo can be found on the socials, Instagram and TikTok at Buiselo Vila Gazzi for all he is doing and more and all the shows that he recommended on BBC brit which is DStv channel one twenty Beyond Paradise Mondays at eight pm, Death in Paradise that is season fourteen, but don't worry, standalone episodes that you can watch Mondays at nine pm and Death Valley on Tuesdays at eight pm. Thank you so much in Buiselo for your time