Speaker 1: Lunch with Pipper Hudson and now consume a talk featuring Wendy Nola.
Speaker 2: Wendy is joining us from our Johannesburg studios today and hoping that our nice broadcast quality line will do adjustice to the conversation because we've got a lot to get through today. Our main conversation is really focusing on an awful example of how some unscrupulous contractors deliberately take advantage of elderly customers. Before we get to that, though, we've got a couple of other bits and pieces and follow ups on previous cases to share with you, and perhaps at the end we'll have space for some open line calls as well. So as always, if you want to join the conversation, you can call us on two one four four six o five six seven, or you can send a WhatsApp to seven two five six seven one five six seven. Great to have you with us, Wendy. Hope all is well in joe Burg.
Speaker 1: It is lovely and warm.
Speaker 2: Thanks Papa good and hearing you NICs and loud and clear. Let's before we dive into our main story, just get a update on the SPA customers who were left hanging when the Infinity Spa at Zevenwacht Estate, previously known as Baquana Spa, closed up shop very suddenly in July this year. I'm sure listeners will remember, we heard from several customers who had already bought vouchers which they found they now couldn't use, some of them to the tune of nearly four thousand randsworth of treatments. And at the time this happened, Zevenvak's director told us that while the SPA business is an entirely separate entity from Zevenbacht, they would try their very best to help the affected customers. Wendy, we can happily report now that the wheels are in motion to put that in place.
Speaker 3: Indeed, happy days. Evenwacht directed Denise Johnson contacted me a few days ago to confirm that a new business known as Touch by Africa has signed a lease for the Spa Spa premises. She said, we'll use the month of October to they Rather, we'll use the month of October to decorate, furnish, employ and train the staff, some of whom will be would have worked for the previous spa. And the important bit is that with ziewenwacht. They will The two of them have got together and made a plan. They will honor the vouchers which were issued by the previous spa owners who shut up shop very suddenly. This is done in good faith, said Denise, and without assuming any liability for the previous spa. They will offer full or half day packages based on their products and structure, and will personally contact all the guests to offer the service and arrange bookings. And shortly after that the new owner and Albertus confirmed.
Speaker 1: That to me.
Speaker 3: She said again that it's not a legal obligation that they will be offering full day half day SPA packages. She did caution they may differ slightly from the original offerings, but they will ensure that clients receive exceptional value for their investment. This initiative, said Renal, reflects our joint commitments to introducing guests to upgraded facilities, wellness services and a welcoming spa experience.
Speaker 2: I think that's really good marketing as well as customers. Is what a great way to start by saying, you know, it isn't their jobs, it's not their responsibility to make good on the predecessor's offering. But they're using it as an opportunity to say, come and try us, because we know you're gonna love us, and hopefully they'll keep on going back.
Speaker 1: So I think wonderful.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you it was no small gesture. I was asked not to reveal the actual sum of vouchers issued and not honored by the previous spar but this is quite quite a good little gesture. They having to dig quite deep, and well done to them.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Wendy, how did the affected customers take advantage of this generosity?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: They said they're going to contact affected varuchureholders, but they may not have everybody's name, so if you're one of them, you can be proactive and email them directly easy address info at Touch by Africa dot COOSA that's at Touched by Africa dot COSA to claim your booking. And they just wanted to point out that the vouchers will cover only spa treatments, food drinks and access to the other facilities on the estate will cost extra.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, absolutely fair enough okay, So once again the email is info at Touch by Africa dot co dot ZA. Well done, Zevenwacht and Touched by Africa, and thanks for for making good on those customers, and I hope that they have a wonderful experience and become loyal clients going forward. Before we move on to the main topic, I want to squeeze in one other quick follow up, or not a follow up, but a fresh case that came our way this past week that we were able to resolve, and I want to mention it in case it's happened to anybody else who might be listening. Why don't you tell us what happened?
Speaker 3: Yes, sure, we were very thrilled to be able to help Nikki with her macro dilemma. She is visually impaired and she lives alone on a farm in the Pekettburg area, and so she relies heavily on online shopping. On the second of August, more than two months ago, she placed a larger than usual order for her with Maco and for the first time, she paid via EFT because she'd had to put a stop on her credit card due to some irregular stuff going on there. She really didn't have a good run of it, and that's when things went wrong. While the payment went off of her account immediately, just over four thousand rand the site, the Macro site reflected that the payment had been unsuccessful, leaving her out of pocket, and there still sat the items loaded in the card awaiting payment.
Speaker 2: So ideal, Yeah, not ideal, clear me, some kind of technical issue which should have been fairly quick and easy to resolve, but it wasn't. And Wendy, this is one of those cases where the poor communication and follow up rarely aggravated what could have been a simple fix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's not the it's not. The issue is not that there was a technical hitch issues that she.
Speaker 3: Really spent two months trying to get it fixed to no avail. So obviously she contacted Macro right away. She sent them all the documentation they requested, including copies of your bank statements showing very clearly that the payment had gone off her account. By the time she contacted us, it had been two months of this. Can you imagine the frustration she still hadn't received her refund all the goods, she says, Endless correspondents and phone calls yielded no success. I'm repeatedly told that the reference number used in the correspondence, which was supplied to be by Macro, does not exist, and I am repeatedly asked to provide an order number, which I do not have because Macro only allocates an order number once it reflects as paid for on their IT system. So she was going around in circles. And also she said telling Lean this is the case with many corporates. I have never said, Nikki been able to speak to a manager, although I've asked numerous times. So she's trying to get out of that frontline staff you know, trap that she sat in for two months, trying to escalate it. But unfortunately she needed my help to do that. And this is really where a large part of my work lies and is because I've got access to people who do have the ability to see the problem and fix it quickly, which their own customers don't have. And that's just the unfortunate reality or fortunate And then I can get it fixed. But you know, it shouldn't be that. There should be there should be ways for the customers themselves to escalate one of these you know, anything that's unusual causes these often causes these kinds of delays and lack of you know, decent communication around it to fix it.
Speaker 2: Yet so the case and yeah, got her money back.
Speaker 3: Wendy, Yeah, within two days, I think, with huge apologies. So so yeah, if if you're stuck in that kind of situation, whether it's Macro or any other online site, you welcome to email me.
Speaker 1: I through my work, I have contact with.
Speaker 3: Higher ups in all the organizations who can fix these sorts of things quite quickly.
Speaker 2: And you don't have to wear two months before you do not use so Nikki, I'm so so glad we were able to get it resolved for you, and thank you so much for flagging the issue with us, and Wendy, thank you very much for taking up the case. The time is marching away from us, and what I'm going to suggest we do is jump to one more follow up and then after the two thirty news, we'll focus on our main story around the service providers. Because I want to stop it started and then have to stop in three minutes or so for the news. What I will do quickly in the minutes before we hand over to the news team is take us to a follow up on the Techi Town marketing story. Because Tricia did email me asking whether I've got anywhere with managing to unsubscribe from those unwanted Communications. Tricia was one of the people who sent me a me too message when I mentioned this on air quite some time ago that for love or money, I cannot get myself unsubscribed from Techi Town's marketing communications.
Speaker 1: And I couldn't help you either.
Speaker 2: No, and Wendy couldn't help either, and it's Tricia. The answer is no, I have not yet managed to get myself unsubscribed. Those marketing emails are still arriving week after week after week. I am still clicking on the unsubscribe here button to no avail. But what Wendy and I agreed is we're going to see this one through and actually use this as a bit of a test case. Because we've had no response from the company involved. We are going ahead and have filed a complaint formally with the National Information Regulator, which is the body you approach when somebody is refusing to honor your wishes around marketing communications. And just let me fill you in quickly before we go to news on what's happened there, Wendy, I have to say first d they were incredibly efficient and speedy in their response. The National Information Regulator got straight back to me saying attached please find the form you need to fill out, and the good news is that happened very quickly. The not so good news is they've on receipt of that form come back to say thanks, we've got it. Give us ninety days to tackle the issue. So it could be three months, which probably gives you an indication of how many such cases they're having to deal with. But this was the most interesting part of the follow up, Wendy. In order to fill out that form for them, one of the things that asked for was the registered company address and phone number. So I went back to the Techietown website and sure enough, that information does not appear on their site. The only contact information I could find there, apart from the useless contact us online form which I've done several times, there was one phone number for following up on online orders. So I called that number and said, look, I know you're not the person to help me, but please, can you redirect me. I need your company's head office address and phone number, and they could not or would not give it to me. In the end, they just refused outright, couldn't refer me onwards, So I gave up there. I then went online and looked Okay, let's try one level up. Who owns Techytown. The answer is it's a Pepcore company. So I then went to the pepcre website. They did have the required information on their site, and I sent an email there saying, look, I'm trying to fill out a National Information Regulator application. It requires the head office and phone number of Techi toown. Please can you share that with me because it is your company? And the very strange response I got back was an email saying send us the form and we'll submit it for you, Wendy, which I found very very odd.
Speaker 1: The story gets stranger and strange.
Speaker 2: It really does, anyway, So I left it there. What I did was fill out the form with pepcorse details listed in a note attached saying this is the best I can do because the information doesn't seem to exist for Techi toown. So the form has been submitted a ninety day waiting period potentially to get an answer, but we will keep you posted when that answer comes.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of spam to get before you get an answer.
Speaker 1: At least I'm building up a good body of evidence. If they ask for follow up, I'll give them that.
Speaker 2: Okay, soir Tricia and others. Please keep on keeping details of what you're experiencing in case we need to advise you to do what I've just done, and we'll keep you posted on how successful the attempt is to get get some feedback through the National Information Regulator Consumer.
Speaker 1: Talk with Wendy Norler. You can join the conversation.
Speaker 2: Let's dive into our main topic of the day, which is around unscrupulous service providers praying on the elderly. The topic really inspired by an email we received a little while ago from Richard McDougall who told us how his elderly mom had been targeted in her Cape Town retirement village. And Richard wrote to us saying, I really want to warn others about what happened and how it happened, and we are very happy to oblige.
Speaker 3: Wendy absolutely because in general, the elderly are easy targets for service providers on the let's say dodgier end of the spectrum because they often live alone. They are very open to inviting people into their homes without too much question because that's the way a lot of business happened back in the day. They can easily be intimidated into signing agreeing to something that they aren't one hundred percent comfortable with, because, especially if it's.
Speaker 1: A woman and a male service.
Speaker 3: Provider, I hear this a lot. They just they agree because they don't know how else to get this person out of their space, their personal space. They feel very threatened. So I feel very strongly about this issue because once they've signed, it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to then get them out of that situation, out of that commitment. So yes, as Richard said, there are a number of small contractors offering their services for upholstery jobs, servicing or repairing blinds, cleaning out gutters, sorting out, tiling jobs, that sort of thing. They place ads in community newspapers and they often leave flyers in people's post boxes. By the way, talking about the Information Regulator, that Consumer Protection Act also protects us from that. In theory, if you put a little note and you sometimes see them on your postbox saying no unsolicited mail or no junk mail or advertising, no advertising, they're supposed to respect that. So that's something to consider about. Whether that will be honored respected is another thing, but that's something else you can complain to the information Regulator about if you're saying no and you're still getting those those flyers anyway, they will obviously offer competitive rates, but they in accepting them and falling for it, you do run the risk if you're in a slightly vulnerable situation potentially of letting the fox into the henhouse. And that is what happened to Richard's mom in the northern suburbs of Cape Town.
Speaker 2: And I'm happy to say Richard is with us to tell us in person what they experienced. And Richard, I'm so sorry that you all went through this, but I'm really grateful that you have written to us and are prepared to come on air today and share the story, because, as you pointed out in your mail, raising awareness is the best way to counteract this happening to anybody else. So thank you and welcome.
Speaker 1: To the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Indian often inputter.
Speaker 2: Tell us, how did this particular service prider end up in your mom's home? What what was the beginning of the story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're very briefly, I mean, I weren't going to too much detail because we will need four minutes then we probably available, But really we had a situation having some blinds needing some repairs or potential repairs or replacement. But we first wanted to just look at the repea option, and by chance, there was a flyer which came into this particular complex which advertised the services and you know, manage the initial contact via email with a few photographs and just what you want to do, can you do it? And assured us this is something we're easily do, but we need to just come into some confirm the scope, which was duly arranged ourself. And literally what happened was this particular company arrived and instead of just leaving the quote as was requested, within minutes had removed all the blinds and had some comments from other who's sort of the mid eighties that was a good idea to replace all the blinds and sign an acceptance quote for this replacement service at a pretty high rate. And then the next step was I wanted to try and get it to immediately play a deposit which you know for the leftyp thing which almost volunteering to help with internet banking transactions, you know, which they can go through and this obviously one of the key lessons learned is you know it's to set limits on your daily transactions. So thankfully, you know, we will save that situation and then brief as soon as you know, probably with an hour hour off later. I'm usually contacted the company because you know, I saw what had happened. There's no details on this so called quote, you know, a company name, and there's a handwritten thing obviously created in a few minutes, and I said, look, you know, do not do anything until you've given us some more information exactly who you are, your company names and address and all sorts of things and references, which was not forthcoming in the way that I've been acceptable. So you know, ready, cut long story short, we did not proceed with the order and to settle it, to make sure there's no need to intact further other place to play this person they dispose of for the blinds, and thankfully that ended with a relatively small, you know lost. You would have had to take the blinds down in any case at some point to probably replace them. But I think there's more the lessons learned, and you know, if other people potentially be caught in the same thing, you know, fortunate our losses were very basically negligible, but I think the whole thing's just really just be very cautious. Now. I just want to say this time that a lot of very good businesses advertised in this way, so I'm just kind of trying to slag businesses and a lot of your best crafts and not. The people who do advertisement may be more stuty in formal way, but the thing is just to apply a little bit more caution and just be very sure of who you're dealing with, and specifically if you need them to come to your property, be very clear that you know exactly are where they located. And I did get some early references. And I think other key thing is of specially with oldly or but more vulnerable people, just make sure that somebody in attendance who can actually deal with the situation regardless with it or not have the situation it might get pressure. Yeah, yeah, so key learning now.
Speaker 2: Because Richard, I mean, from my understanding of what you told us, you had very specifically said to this contractor I'm the person you need to deal with. You need to send me any quotes in voices, et cetera. I will approve them. But once he found himself on site with your mom, who was an easy target, he just kind of wrote, you know, rolled her into signing things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 3: And the line that stood out for me as well in what you sent us, Richard, was that this man was speaking very fast and your mother couldn't quite grasp anything everything that he was saying, and I would realized what she was agreeing to. And I think that's also typical tactics of bamboozling her, and she's you know, now an awfully awful situation of being on the back foot in your own home. I just hate the thought of that, and it happens so often, I think. Yeah, the lesson also is to make sure, especially women living on their own, that an elderly mamma. There's also in the mid eighties, so I can relate to the story really well that you should make sure that somebody's with them, because they are you know, there are easily taken advantage of, but by you know, some unscrupulous service providers, not all.
Speaker 2: Obviously, absolutely not all, Richard. I mean, just to emphasize on that point, you weren't there when he arrived. I mean, as your suggestion is, do the checks, do the references before you even give them your address to come and see you I mean had with hindsight being twenty twenty, obviously, had you known what he was going to be like, I'm sure you would have made a plan to be there on the day he was coming, or to not have him men at all for that matter.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, but I mean obviously honestly say, I probly drop my god as just wanted to get this done and it sort of looked credible and in a response to quite quick. So absolutely, on I think it's just bring those extra safeguards in place to make sure you, you know, you don't get into particular situation. And also I think the other thing is, you know, nobody should be pressured to accept any quote or pay any deposits. You know, always by time you know and review it and then get back to people you know and don't sign anything until you really sure what you're dealing with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's also excellent advice.
Speaker 3: Whether you're buying a car or you know, have been presented with a quote, you should you know, if there's really hectic pressure put on you, especially right there in the moment, then you know, just take that as as your red flag to put the brakes on and just say, look, I'll get back to you.
Speaker 2: I'm clearly remembering a listener who sent us their father's favorite saying by WhatsApp a few months ago, if it has to be now, it has to be No. Was the response getting pressure resistant all costs? Richard? As a matter of interest, I mean you, I know you said you hadn egligible losses because in the end you said, right, we'll just take them away and dispose of them, and you got rid of them. But did you then subsequently do any comparison comparative quotes, because you still had to get the blinds replaced. Did the costing of new quotes? How did it compare to the figures that that guy had quoted you originally?
Speaker 4: Was there a big discrepancy, Yes, huge discrepancy. You know, obviously by that time we had a house with no blind at all. We you know, the media set to work. You know, it wasn't really planned, but all is this news opportunity now to make good of bad and got you know, a number of quotes, and eventually a very reputable company and also Northern Suburbs you know, came up with complete new set of blinds and actually one not your additional ones which went in the original removed lot for towards some sixty percent of the product we were given, you know, by the so called small business giving the competitive rates. Yeah, I think we've paid was sixteen and a half thousand compared to you know number, and I was very convinced that number is probably going to climb as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you'd probably find that halfway through he'd say, oh new hooks replied or something like that to add to it. Yeah, yeah, okay, Richard, Well, thanks again for being willing to talk about this and just raise awareness of what happened and share those red flags because I think, and I can see from the WhatsApps that are streaming in from a lot of people really relating to the story, how easy it is to fall for this.
Speaker 1: Kind of approach.
Speaker 2: So appreciate your time and thank you very much for joining us this afternoon.
Speaker 4: Only pleasure. Thanks so much, make and time ford appreciate it.
Speaker 2: That's our pleasure, Richard. I'm glad to hear it.
Speaker 1: All's well.
Speaker 2: That ends well, I mean we need just to recap some of the lessons learned there, so absolutely do the reference checks and look for you know, second opinions and other people who've used this contractor before you give them your address and allow them into your house. But what Richard said there about capping the amount of transaction allowed on an account was a very good tip for those with elderly parents.
Speaker 3: Not so absolutely absolutely. I had a case my mother moved into a year and a half ago, moved into a new place. It was a new build, and she wanted an extra cupboard in the laundry area. So she did some made some queries and she was given a number of somebody that was with the company that had installed the kitchen, which was a beautiful job, paid quite a few thousand round for the cupboard, and just weeks and months ago, not months, but a good six weeks or so.
Speaker 1: And eventually I.
Speaker 3: Said, come mom, you know, phone the agents of the state, and anyway, it was they got a.
Speaker 1: Big My mother and I share a surname, so yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was very speedily procured that cupboard and very nice it is too, But I mean that it was somebody you worked for the company that was.
Speaker 1: Doing a side job.
Speaker 3: It just wasn't all completely legit, and my mom had just got herself into this situation that it was unfortunate. But anyway, it was very satisfying to sort things out for my.
Speaker 2: Own Absolutely yeah, Bernard writing and saying I consider myself to be kind of street smart and sales and biers savvy, and I too got taken for sixteen thousand round. He doesn't share the details, but I think a lot of people responding with the kind of hashtag me too. Wendy's saying what you've said about the physical threat is very very real. And you know, for anybody who is on their own at home, but particularly so for women on their own to suddenly have a contractor who's on site pressuring you to sign something if you're feeling physically at risk, it doubles the sort of you know, the sense of money to sign and get them out of my space, and it's very hard to walk back from that after you've signed on the dotted line.
Speaker 3: If I could just add here, it's the circumstances that I normally hear this. I just paid to get them out because they were a bit menacing. Is when somebody's needed a locksmith. We've spoken about this before, and then you go into Google and you say locksmith whatever your suburb is, Rhonder Bosh, and then someone comes out and they do the job, but they suddenly want you haven't thought to ask for a quote beforehand, and they suddenly want this extortionate amount for this tiny job that took them a matter of minutes. And women in particular say to me, I've heard it so many times. I just paid because I knew it was a ripoff, but I just needed them to get them and there was no other than they wanted payment right then and there, and they weren't taking no for an answer. And then again like, which's mom? You now interacting with your your online banking And what Richard didn't say, which was in his written account, was that this guy was shoulder surfing his mom as she was trying to make payment, which is not really even more sinister.
Speaker 1: So so yeah, and what you should do is with a service.
Speaker 3: Provider like that, do it now. We're all going to need a locksmouth sooner or later. Is ask around the locksmiths must have a physical premises in your area, get the details, put it in your contacts, and so when you need one in a you're not going to land, you know, be googling and get the wrong person.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's great advice, Thank you, And just one more thing, as Richard said that the Dodgy invoice was a surest sign that all was not well, Wendy, what should be on an invoice at the very least.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there's got to be their details, company registration, their address, full name of the company, the date, the amount of the quote. Because if you're putting your signature to that, they can't then without further consultation with you, unilaterally increase that quote. So it's very important to get that quote process right. That's pretty much a phone number, but you know, in that case, it was just like a hurriedly scribbled on a bare lankiece of paper.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and details.
Speaker 2: I mean, so if it shouldn't just be sixteen thousand rand for a pair of blinds, that needs to say, excluding removal, replacement materials, re hanging, et cetera.
Speaker 1: You need to tend.
Speaker 3: And also, good one, if there's going to be any rubble or you know, stuff that needs to be taken away, you need to discuss put that in the quote as well. If you don't have a mate with a bucket, you will help you out because that often catches people, So have a discussion around that as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks so much, for that advice, and again we're really sorry for the unpleasant experience, but Richard, thank you very much for flagging an important issue with us. Consumer talk WhatsApp on O seven to two five six seven one five six seven. Wendy Nola still with us from our Johannesburg studios today and if you've got an open line consumer question to direct her way, you're welcome to send a quick what's up to seven two five six seven one five six seven. Happy to keep on continuing on the story of the contractors taking advantage of the elderly, but also happy to move away into a separate conversation, which is I think what Robin's voice note is going to do.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen, but it would.
Speaker 5: Be great if you can follow up on these teucom rinetnes. It's ridiculous ringtones that everybody has, but nobody's a subscribe to it, and they charge you every month, and there's no way of unsubscribing because you don't know who the company is that subscribe you in the first place. They just involuntarily slap you with these ridiculous ringtones that you don't request and can't it dread off, So if people phone you this stupid ring tone ring which sounds very unprofessional, especially if you're running a business. But you can't unsubscribe or remove this rentne and you get charge for it every month ish, Please if you could give us some pointers please?
Speaker 2: When isn't that a wasper issue?
Speaker 1: Am I remembers a issue? Yeah?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 1: I mean there years ago.
Speaker 3: This used to be one of the hot topics.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean just huge volumes of complaints about unsubscribed, unauthorized rather subscriptions to these sorts of things.
Speaker 1: I've had.
Speaker 3: I did a case recently, but it wasn't a ringturn. I didn't know Ringtones was still a thing that they were selling as a you know, as an extra. Was it Robin who said that he referred to them as Telcom Telecom Ringtones? So I'm not sure if this is Telecom Customers, Tecom mobile or what I mean? Whoever, whoever your service service provider is.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is their job.
Speaker 3: They're taking money from these wasps in order to host them for them to build you. So they need to tell you who that supplier is and give you an opportuntunity to challenge them. If you can't contact them, then you go to WASPER, the Wireless Application Service Providers Authority, and that's an industry.
Speaker 1: Regulator and they take these.
Speaker 3: Things very seriously in my experience, and get it stopped that way. I can't understand how that would override your ability to change settings and ringtones on your own phone. That sounds very strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Bobin Wasper is w A s p A, dot org dot z A WASPER the Wireless Application Service Providers Association. So if you don't get anywhere with Telcom, you can go to WASPER and Lodger complaint, but do try Telcom first. If you're a Telcom customer, as Wendy says, they should be providing you with the information.
Speaker 3: And well, yeah, I'd like you to please copy me Wendy at NOLA dot cos consumer at NOLA because I would like to get to the bottom of what's happening there. It's clearly affecting quite a few people.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Robin here, please send that mail to Telcom c C N Wendy consumer at NOLA dot co dot z spelled k n O W l E R. And if you don't get any follow up from Telcom, then Lodger complaint with WASPER which is wasper dot org dot.
Speaker 3: Z A.
Speaker 2: Right, yep, okay, this is I'm just having a quick scan here, Saul saying I had a problem with a particular fish canned fish company. I opened a can one day to find it was less than half full. I emailed the company and I cannot recall if the website said they would get back to me. But after two weeks, still nothing. I had all the information captured on my phone. Then I had a look at Hallo Peter and was surprise to see how many complaints there were. Sau says, I have since voted with my wallet and I don't purchase that item any longer. But it just goes to show how frustrating it is when companies don't respond. Have you had any complaints along that line went.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's talking about the iconic Lucky Star and this is lucky fish, Lucky Star and pilches. I got a complaint and someone said that I had been others and there's been several people posting images on social of you know, one or two, three pieces of fish, you know, wallowing in a whole lot of tomatoes sauce, and I did take it up with the company Oceania Brands. I wasn't expecting this question, so I don't know if I can get it up in time. But they essentially said that it was they do a lot of checks and this is, uh, it's not there. There isn't a systemic problem. Every now and then. What happens is the there's a misfilling not weight or something, and then the automated system adds more a sauce to make up the weight. It's it's a problem on the line, very intermittent, but definitely not you know, something that's affecting you know, whole batches and all the rest. But that's as much that as I can tell you about that right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, and as yeah, I mean, all that's going to happen is is what exactly what's all has done. You're going to switch to another brand or stop using the product altogether. And if enough customers do that to vote with their feet, perhaps they'll feel a little bit more motivated to fix the issue that causes the problem on the line. Indeed, this is an interesting comment from somebody going back to the Wasper issue. They had a similar situation through Votercom and when they did their research discovered that votercom itself was invested in one of the subsidiaries that was to blame for the issue, which might explain why there is less of an appetite to respond as the customers might want. So that's an interesting nugget.
Speaker 3: I would like to share another nugget quickly on the tinned fish. According to SANS two eight nine, which is a So American national standard that sets the laboring requirements for prepackaged product, if you want to know how much fish to source, you should have it a four hundred gram ten of fish. It should be at least sixty five percent fish, So you should have at least two hundred and sixty grams of fish when you drain the source off it. So if you want to check whether because whether yours, you've got too little fish. If it's less than two hundred and sixty go, and obviously be fair drain as much of the source off as you can, but you should have at least two hundred and sixty grams of fish in that four hundred gram can.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that interesting piece and interesting to know. It is a little set down to the literal gram.
Speaker 3: Or percentage, So sixty five percent you can substantiate your argument if you if you contact them again.
Speaker 2: Thanks for that, Wendy. That's a very interesting note on which to finish today's segment. Thanks so much for all you do on behalf of our listeners, and we look forward to having you back at Cape Town Studios next week.
Speaker 1: Me too. Thanks, thanks so much, Wendy.
Speaker 2: Nola reminder, if you do want to submit a complaint, the easiest thing to do is to go onto her website, which is Wendynola dot co dot SA and fill up the contact form there. Otherwise, send an email to consumer at Nola dot co dot s spelled k n O W L e R