Speaker 1: And now The Money Show with Stephen Credits on seven oh two.
Speaker 2: Let's walk little.
Speaker 3: The Money Show with Stephen Curtis is brought to you by Abster Corporate and Investment Bank, proud sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty twenty four. Good evening, Welcome to the programs. The Money Show comes to air tonight. The Presidency issuing a statement in response to the DA's claim that BC Jonas has been denied accreditation by Washington to act as a special envoy with relation to trade from President saw rom A Pausa, I've seen many presidential statements in my time. This is, i would say, of the scathing variety. The Presidency cautioning South Africa against treating DA disinformation of matters of international relations and diplomacy as official government policy. They talk about the DA's latest effort to embarrass President from A. Paus's special envoy to North America involves claims that he's that the US has rejected as credentials. They talk about sensationalism. However, the Presidency also saying the facts around this matter include the reality that special envoys do not present diplomatic credentials to host countries in the way designated heads of mission or other diplomats are. You'll know the backstory to all of this. Of course, the Democratic Alliance releasing a statement this afternoon in the name of Emma Pal, their Foreign affairs spokesperson. She is unfortunately unable to talk to us right now. We're hoping in the next half an hour or so she'll become available. Otherwise we've been told after seven o'clock. But the claim from the DA is that Jonas has been denied permission to represent South Africa in terms of entering the United States. Jonas, as you know, made comments against a President Donald Trump long before he was appointed envoy in a way, comments quite similar to Abrahm Rossul did before he became an ambassador and was eventually, of course kicked out by the United States. There are many different moving parts to all of us. Let's start your coverage tonight with a spokesperson for the Department of NAS National Relations and Cooperation, Crispin Piri. A Crispin, good evening to you. I do appreciate the time. Firstly, did the US tell in KBC Jonas or someone else he was not welcome and would not be accepted as an envoy. All right, Crispin Perry, I don't know if you can hear me, Am not sure where actually you are in the world at the moment. Sounds like you there now, Crispin to me for the question again, did the US tell in KBC, Johnos or someone else he would not be acceptable as a nonvoy.
Speaker 2: And their message of the president, they aid the President in whatever message that the President wants to present it kind of and it is a common cause to everyone that President drum Up also has not yet sent the judicy journalists to the United States or any diplomatic mission as yet, although he has appointed him as a special and where he's not been officially given the duty to go and present any type of message to the United States. So the point of credential doesn't even arise because at no point does a special envoy present credential. And we would have thought that someone of Emma's power of stature, someone who engages in international relations on a daily basis, would know this. The only people who are required to present credentials are foreign represented in the form of an ambassador, who would then be required to present their credentials to a head of states. That's the context in which credentials get presented. So it's really a strange statement that we're seeing from the DA. But the second element, even that I quickly on to a dread, this comes at a critical time when we do have pterif against that is true. But the DTIIC is firmly engaged with that process. But also we mustn't exceptionalize what we are seeing happening to path Africa just up north from the United States. Canada has just been slapped to the thirty five percent tariff. In Europe as well, we are seeing them being slapped with thirty percent teriffs. So this idea that soth Africa is being singled out for special treatment therefore really needs to be addressed in totality.
Speaker 3: So I mean, of course I accept that, And we might have missed the first part of your answer, Chrispin, I do just need to clear this up very quickly. I accept also what you say that Inbeci Jonas has not been to the US and has not been sent there. Has anyone in Washington told government he would not be acceptable as a representative.
Speaker 2: Not that I'm aware of, Steven. That's where for something that I'm and and there it would arise in the context of US having to send him there, that is where that that engagement would arise. But outside the engagements, don't see how that would that would arise at all.
Speaker 3: Okay, why has the President made him a special envoy to North America and not sent him to North America.
Speaker 2: Well, actually he did go to North America. He was part of the Gen three seven dedication to Canada, and we didn't have several engagements with our Canadian counterparts with the mister Bilgy Jonas as well, So he has been changed to North America quite quite frankly. And as I understand it from the presidency point of view is that we are seeing a situation where how the US administration is engaging with its own neighbors and partners is of interest to us so that we can further understand how to engage the US. So that is why mister Jonas has been designated as a special invote to North America. And I think there's good American.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, And I'm sorry to come back to this, but I feel I must is Jonas avoiding going to the United States and is the President avoiding sending him to the United States because you worried that he might be kicked out in the same way that Abraham Rousseaul was for saying sort of the same thing.
Speaker 2: Let's sequence this propublic even. You may recall that at the time at which mister Jonas was appointed, especially an invot for the United States, was when we had to fall out with the ambassador. Subsequent to that, the President himself went to the United States and presented the country, and that engagement is now possible at a head of state level, So they one can argue that that's why the president has broad and the mandate for North America, because he has the ability to engage directly with the United States. At the time, it was we need engagement through a special envoy to de escalate what was becoming, you know, a protracted a discussion between US and the United States. But we now have that direct line to the Head of States and before our Foreign Services Department, so that engagement is possible. So the mandate of mister Jonas has then since been widened, so the urgent need to send mister Jonahs to the United States has doesn't arise anymore. And that is why Minister packs Out, for example, is firmly engaged with the issues around the terrace, and we will continue with the President and Foreign Affairs around the political issues as they arise. If there's a need for mister Johnas to go to the United States, that matter would then be looked at as well.
Speaker 3: Kristin Terry, I really appreciate you taking the time Johnson the questions tonight. Thank you spokesperson for the Department of International Relations and Cooperation on the Money show this evening. Listening to that the political and governance and the Santilla Swana Sandilla, it seems there's nothing that our coalition partners won't argue about, including trade and relationships with the US. How do you read all of this?
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Given the situation here is that South Africa needs something quite concrete which is in agreement with the US on specific tariffs, for instance on citrus which affects the Western Cape and the Northern Cape, that they must be a deal. And I've just been reading the comments from the Industry Association specifically on the STRUS and they do have a strategy and there's ongoing deliberations. So the people who are in charge of those trade negotiations which affect the bread and patter of South Africans are actually at well doing the job. Pastow and John STM. Sasen are actually in charge of that. The world speculations around this, which also is just joining the last paragraph of the statement from the Citrus Association whatever they call themselves, is that there is a problem with the ic J Israel type thing, and they are South Africans were involved in that, Lady, that we should maybe join the if you want to put it that way, they make America great movement. Then I output Powell in that category because in terms of the actual strictly tariff negotiations, South Africans are in the same boat as many other major nations, and we have in certain categories very good bargaining points and those bargaining points must not be just dropped, and if not, we should bargain. And there is an extension on the negotiations. So I think that DA is trying to win the South African right wing to its side, sometimes in irresponsible ways.
Speaker 2: I'll put it that it thank you.
Speaker 3: The other point is does it matter. I don't know if there's any South African who could represent the current South African government as it is constituted, representing primarily.
Speaker 4: The A and C.
Speaker 3: Yes, the DA, but also the PAC and the other parties of the coalition who would be acceptable to the Trump administration. I mean, you can go all the way back to Nelson Mandela's appearance on the Ted Copple Show in nineteen ninety when he specifically said very clearly, we will never abandon the Palestinian people. You're speaking for the A and C when he said that. I mean, that's a fundamental fact of history that is not going to change. I mean, does it matter that we don't have a special envoy there at all?
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't, not at all, because fortunately you'll know the officials and the ministers like Minister of Trade, Minister of Agriculture actually doing the job. So the envoy is in essence, and I agree with Christian period here that the envoy specifically targeting the US is superpulous. We have specific political problems around the Palestinian question with the USA, and those have and there are people who have chosen sides. I mean, like now we're creating a card inside South Africa. By the way, by doing all of these things that we're doing, people in Canada and some of the states in Canada on the throat of the USA. I mean, the fight is heavy between the Canadians and the in the Americans. But most of us have always looked at at Canada as a very cordial country. But Trump has gone for them. So I don't I agree with you that even just even if we're Canadians. I think it is not an easy thing to do business with Trump. I don't think it's easy. And if you're going to argue long standing political questions and long political philosophies with Trump, you're not going to get anywhere. And that is where we are. And but on the other side, I mean I read some of our arguments straight from industry, not from politicians. Some of our arguments are actually quite good, good arguments. As an example, our season for fruits a side trust food is different from there. Therefore we don't even compete. Seventy seven percent of our woods the Americans can buy without any TIFFs, et cetera. So Trump is burgeoning things that you know into a certain degree of problematic. And the DA is specifically power. I don't think DNA is and is busy with this, but power is busy with this. I don't know, but DNA isn't. It's focused on this issue that I'm talking about, and then and then there are quotations that Lettle from Knas and about.
Speaker 3: Strategic sandeleez One. I really appreciate the time tonight. Thank you the political analysts, a voice in my ear telling me a moment ago that we do have confirmation. Emma Paler, the person who started all of this with her statement on behalf of the DA will be on your radio in twenty minutes time at around a twenty to seven Stephen, that's on the Money Show six to eight pm. Well, you'll recall the statement yesterday from arsenal Mittel that they can and will continue to trade until the end of September, but current conditions me and they can't trade after that. They've already been given money by government to pay salaries, arsenal Mattel pointing out again yesterday this electricity costs are too high. Government policy is helping minimals that create steel from scrap metal in competition, and transit has provided very bad services. Doctor Saul Levine is the executive director of Trade and Industrial Policy Strategy STEPS. It's all good evening if what arsenal Mittel says is true, and it surely must be then it's probably impossible for anyone to function under those conditions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there's a couple of things that are hitting a lot of energy intensive industries and transport intensive industries. So the electricity press has hit several industries. So we look at also the ferochrome producers. They've been struggling with electricity press and reliability and the high costs of transport. So those issues have affected several industries, and even smaller players are feeling that electricity press is too high and has grown exponentially over the last couple of years. There are other issues though at Play. The company hasn't been doing well for over a decade that they've run it losses almost every year, theft for three over the last twelve years, so they they haven't been that They've hit a lot of stumbling blocks, and this is just you know, the latest in the series of crises, and it particularly affects the Newcastle operation, which does break things down a lot for them with with that particular plant finding it very difficult to compete with the smaller players in the market.
Speaker 3: So I think what arsenal Mettel, it seemed to me, was trying to do was sort of put the ball in government's court to say, you know, there needs to be actioned from government, and what action can government really take? I mean even government can't pay all of Escomb's bills.
Speaker 5: I mean it's the government to give them, you know that that credit facility or that facility. I'm not sure it will be credit and if they aren't able to repay it because they're running it a loss. But the situation means, i mean the government, as we well know, is you know, being asked to bail out lots of different players across the economy, and you know, there's only so much they would be able to contribute towards bailing art answer again, and if things haven't been able to be turned around over the six month period, and it seems not, then it does look very bleak for that new class or operation.
Speaker 3: Has government policy made the situation worse? I'm not talking about electricity prices or trans net that sort of wasn't policy kind of, but I'm talking about minimals which are competing with arsenal metal. Is that a major problem?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, I mean it's it's complicated because it's given new players and entry into the market. It's the minimals have lower cost structures. So part of the advantage of being a minimal is you have smaller operations, you use different technology, and you less energy intensive because you using a lot of scrap metal which has a lower melting point. So you have advicetages in being able to use scrap metal and the price advantage on reducing the scrap metal priss and keeping it in the country as approached many countries have taken because scrap metal is it's expensive to make metal and to use the waste or to export it to other countries is not the best environmental option and as you know, you're wasting your electricity that you've you've given in. So those minimals have a lower cost structure and they are able to out compete Answer on particular approach that we're talking specifically on long steel that they're able to out compete Answer. But there are certain things because of their production process and because of their input materials, they haven't been able to get into what we call speciality steels, and this is where some of the country challenges come in that certain industries require those speciality steels. The minimals could, but answers already producing that in that space. If Newcastle were to go into liquidation or close down that plant, then there would be a gap. It could be replaced by imports, could be replaced by minimals upgrading their operations to become more sophisticated. But the net result is on the back of lower demand for steel, that there is too much steel available in the country plus is imports. So, by by way of example, don't some analysis on steel intensity. We at the level of steel intensity as we were in South Africa in the nineteen seventies, were using other products. Steel is used less for a whole lot of things.
Speaker 3: If Arsenal Metal were to close now, obviously there would be an awful economic impact in Newcastle. People and their families would lose income. Would it matter to the overall economy as a whole.
Speaker 5: I mean it's if if we can so. So there's there's trade offs. If you know, in any industry, if one player closes, those that survive will do better. So I mean it's it's it's never nice to see a big, major South African operation that's had a long history in this country, as it was in eSchool, closed down, and it will be devastating for those families, but I don't I mean there there there are other players who will step into that that place. It would be a disaster if we had to import a lot more of our still or we just couldn't make the products in the country anymore and had to import finished products. That would have a bigger knock on impact. But there's a trade off. The country just can't afford to keep, you know, playing one point five billion every six months to keep that that Newcastle plant open. But if there were resources to put into you know, the workers getting opportunities to maybe start smaller businesses or go into other operations or other industries being attracted to Newcastle, it could and should be done to try and mitigate some of the worst outcomes for individuals.
Speaker 3: Doctor Slivin really appreciate the thoughts. Thank you, Executive Director of Trade and Industrial Policy Strategies, Tips the money show the market, Queennam and locals from Equity Research Sales at absas CYRB Quina. Good evening, Thanks so much for coming in tonight. Lots on the boil. Not all of it related to markets, of course, in Vidia saying last night that it was allowed to sell some AI trips to China the American government had tried to regulate that quite closely. It's had quite an impact on in VideA today.
Speaker 6: That's right, Stephen. I mean when this happened, it was in the middle of sort of the US China trade negotiations and that melt down, So that news overnight was quite positive for the entire sort of tech space. You'll see on our side naspaus Process up just off of ten Cent being up three percent. And the reason that is is that, firstly, even though if you look through all the results, you've seen this momentum building in their operations in terms of productivity gains from the AI that they're developing, but they're using the old chips as well. So investors now looking ahead and saying, well, there's a potential now for continued operational momentum intensent that should definitely flow through into nas and Process. But I think a more global take on that would be that potentially, at least in the short term, the US China relations are probably in a slightly better place than they were in the beginning of the year.
Speaker 3: Well, that would be good news for China. I mean, they had second quarter GDP figures out today, their growth was not as slow as was expected, and this takes us straight to resilience around tariff exactly.
Speaker 6: The export numbers in particular were stronger than what one would have expected, but there was the narrative out there that China will find a place to place its exports, at least in the short term. But I think globally, this wasn't a result that would make you substantially upgrade your expectations for China GDP for the rest of the year. So the concerns around global growth, especially emerging market growth from China, still remained. This was just a temporary relief, I think. But what you'll see is none of their emerging market currencies jumped quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: Everything is still very dependent on what Donald Trump has to say about tariffs and now the go live date is the first of August, So until then, I think most of your headlines will drive your returns, especially in the FX.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is about that guy on Fridays seems to like to make news there. So Okay, we've got earning season starting next week that will probably drive US markets and ours to an extent, But Tariff's is still the kind of story even though we have absolutely no clue what's going to happen. And I keep making this point that yes we got our tariff letter, it made no mention of our political views or stances at all, and didn't with other countries either except for Brazil of course.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right. I mean even within the US earning season, people have kept their earning the expectations high. But the question is always going to be on the outlook, right, what is going to happen. A thing that the US companies did is they stockpiled all their products, but they're running through those stock wells, so you have to now order in at the higher tariffs for US, I mean, it's just about the uncertainty going forward. I mean our earning season kicks off with the miners as well. That's another big sector that's impacted by tariffs. And again the outlooks of the companies become much more important, which could then add a little bit to volativity, especially inequities.
Speaker 3: Greennam Melocal thanks so much for coming in equity research sales from at Abscess CIB you with The Money Show just on six thirty The Money Show on seven o two.
Speaker 2: Monday till Friday, six to eight PM.
Speaker 3: Well, seventeen minutes now to seven the time, good to year from you tonight A no double one double A three oh seven oh two two one four four six o five six seven invoice this evening on seven two seven oh two one seven oh two. Well, as you heard around forty minutes ago, as we came to air that strongly worded statement from the presidency tonight accusing the DA of disinformation for claiming in a statement this afternoon that the President's Special Envoy to the US or now to North America and Klebsi Jonas, had been denied permission by Washington to represent South Africa there. The DA says he was denied accreditation the presidents. He says, that's not true. You heard the International Relations spokesperson Chrispin Piary half an hour ago saying on the record, it is not true that Jonas has been denied accreditation and that he had not been able to present in the accreditation to the US because he or any credential, because he hasn't been there yet. Johnna's also previously making statements critical of the US President Donald Trump. Statements sort of quite similar in a way to what our previous ambassador Abrahim Russeaul had said before he was also expelled, or before he was expelled. Rather, Emma palell is the DA spokesperson on international Relations and cooperation. It was her statement this afternoon that started all of this. Emma, good evening to you. What information do you base your claim on?
Speaker 7: Hi, thanks for having me so. Yesterday marked ninety days since Sebisi Jonas was appointed as Ramapausa's Special envoy to the United States, and we asked what he had achieved, and we said that we were going to an absence of information from the Presidency be submitting a Promotion for Access to Information Act request compelling the Presidency to provide details of all engagements, achievements, outcomes and travel to the United States. Now. In response to that statement, this morning, I received information directly from senior sources in the US Administration in Washington in response to that statement, noting that in May, the US Administration had in fact denied in subci Jonas a diplomatic visa, they had also formally rejected his request for credentialing, and that they had informed on multiple occasions our government, the Presidency various ANC officials that the US would not recognize Jonas as South Africa's interficial or official interlocutor, and that the administration had explicitly advised that Jonas was not acceptable to Washington and South Africa and the President had been urged to appoint an alternative envoy. Now, the question is, if mister BC Jonas is indeed our Head of States special envoy, then he would require diplomatic visas and certain state level credentials in order to enter into official negotiations and talks. What we know is that he has been denied these, and so I find it disingenuous that the Presidency has issued such a strongly worded statement when they are still to date unable to take the nation into their confidence and tell us what mister Jonas has achieved for South Africa in regards to resolving some of the tariff the looming Liberation Day tariff issues, as well as the non tariff barriers, which would of course be the issues that have been raised by the Trump administration since February this year.
Speaker 3: I'm going to come back to the trade stuff in just a moment. So you're saying your information is based from a senior source in the Trump administration.
Speaker 7: More than one source yes.
Speaker 3: Okay, why would they tell you this?
Speaker 7: Well, as you know, the US has grown increasingly frustrated that they do not have a credible, official and acceptable state level interlacky too with which to enter into negotiations. We know that Ambassador Ussaul was unceremoniously demashed and expelled, and since then the President appointed this special Envoy to the United States, But by the Presidency's own admission, special Envoy has not in fact traveled or entered into any formal state to state level negotiations. The DA keeps its communication channels with Washington d C open. We've invested significantly over the last eighteen months in building relationships at the White fust National Security Council and at Congress, so we talk. The ultimate objective is, of course, not to harm the bilateral relationship, but rather to find a pathway to repair the trust that's been broken into decreased tensions. Now, it seems to me that if the President was serious about avoiding the looming liberation date tariffs and striking a deal, he would be very clear on the specific mandate of a special envoy who works on behalf of his government and bring the nation into his confidence in terms of what the negotiating parameters are and what the outcome of those negotiations are as we head into this very difficult first of August period. The point is is that the Presidency has continued to maintain including in a tweet from the presidency spokesperson Vincent mcgreenia last night in response to my statement asking for that information, that by even asking these questions, the DA is and I quote encroaching on the President's mandate and amber and the President does not owe anybody answers.
Speaker 3: Okay, be that as it may, isn't I mean, one of the consistent points that comes out from the DERKO spokesperson Crispin Piri from the presidency statement is that how do I put this politely, that it's not really the business of the DA to do this. In fact, they go further and suggest that you're sort of, you know, working against South Africa's interests by maintaining these communication links. Now, I don't think anyone can say to you you can't talk to people. Of course you can. Is it really in the national interest for an opposition party to do that? I mean, if you were the leading party and government to us, say opposition party, you're in a difficult coalition. But if you were the political party that had both the president and the Turko Minister, wouldn't you be irritated if the ANC was meeting people in the Trump administration.
Speaker 7: Well, let's go back to the statement of Intent. The ANC didn't have the votes in Parliament to elect Sir Ol Ramapausa as the president. So after the signing of the Statement of Intent, it was agreed that the DA would support voting mister Ramapausa into the position of president, and that was underpinned by a Statement of Intent. One of the founding provisions of that statement was that there would be no departmentally sealed mandates and that all decisions and policy trajectories would be concluded on the basis of what they called sufficient consensus, so sixty percent of the partners and government having consensus. Now, as you know, during those negotiations where the DA was given six full ministries, you were not given any of the portfolios on what we call the security cluster, so that would be Defense, State, Security, Foreign Relations, or any of the ministries and the presidency. And the objective there was that the A and C could continue to pretend that they had an outright majority and to run South Africa's foreign policy trajectory on the basis of their liberation era return allegiances. In the absence of the A and C being able to provide any tangible outcomes of de escalation pathways or negotiations and agreements with the US, the DA stepped into that into that vacuum. It's no secret that the DA has been engaging in Washington, DC in South Africa's interests. Contrary to the Presidency's statement where he accuses US of aligning with right wing forces, we did the very opposite when Andrew and I were in Washington, DC earlier this year. In the three previous trips that I did, we waved South Africa's flag high. Durco knew about our troops, We were talking to them while we were there. In fact, I met an ambassador of Saul in the basement of Congress to update among discussions that I had been having. We certainly did not perpetuate or pedal any of the right wing narratives around certain segments of our population being under attack. We were there to find out what the US would consider it to be a pathway towards de escalation and what was required on the part of our government to mend relationships, so it's disingenuous. The point is is that instead of acting with pragmatism, the presidency is putting their pride ahead of the national interest. Now, what South African needs is we need a suitably qualified, capable and reputable interlock you to negotiate to ideally in the form of an ambassador. And in the absence of that, we need a special envoy to the US that is actually able to travel to the US, who's got official documentation, who's accepted by Washington, who's welcomed in Washington. And it seems to me that I have no Personally, I have no problem with mister Jonas, but it seems to me that his appointment would be better suited as an advisor to the presidency rather than a special envoy. The point is nothing is being done to resolve these issues.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I accept some of that, but I do need to come to a bigger point. And there are issues around in KLEBC Jonas which may need an explanation on your version from what you say, and particularly I mean if you say the presidency knew something or the president knew effect and didn't share it with the rest of us. That may be problematic. I mean, time will tell us which of these versions is correct. I do need to put another question to you, because you keep coming back to the same thing about trying to resolve the trade tension with Washington. Now completely agree that needs to be one of government's uppermost priorities at this moment. I'm not convinced that there is any South African who could. I mean, it's bizarre to me that we have to discuss the identities of South Africans who would be acceptable to the Trump administration. That's problematic. For a start, I'm not entirely convinced there's any South African outside of maybe a few who I suppose mostly look like me, perhaps on the right wing, and perhaps play better golf than I do, who would be acceptable to President Trump. I mean, we need to be plunt here. I'm also not convinced that it entirely matters, because if you look at his letter that he sent to us, which was a copy and paste with just a different percentage to most of the other countries, he didn't tie politics at all to his trade decisions. This is Trump's trade narrative. Nothing seems to change him from that, and we could be as good a negotiator or as clever a person as Mark Carney, but it's not going to change it. My point is, I'm not sure it matters whether we have a special envoy there or not.
Speaker 7: So I here your concerns around identity politics. But let me assure you that the issue of mister Jonas, as was the case with Ambassador Rousseaul, is not about identity politics. It's about previous remarks that have been made that have been deeply insulting, in which accusations have been made about President Donald Trump. Regardless of what one subjective opinion on those statements is, they have indeed offended the President of the United States. Secondly, there's a bigger problem at play here in regards to mister Jonas. And this is not to cast any aspersions because these matters are being litigated before the courts. But mister Jonas is currently the chairperson of the MTN Group. Now, the MTN Group is currently defending numerous sets of litigation in the United States that allege that MTN violated US anti terrorism laws by engaging in a number of different sets of business transactions. One of them relates to Afghanistan in the Taliban, and another one of those relates to be a run salt Turk cell deal and sanctioned entities that were involved, as well as bribes and corruption that have been alleged at the time. So we have not been informed by the individuals that have provided us with this information from the US Administration in DC as to whether or not it was previous remarks or a conflict of interests. They haven't given us the reason that the diplomatic visa was declined, or that the credentials were declined, or that they've told the presidency that they will not officially accept engagements with mister Jonas. But I don't believe that it comes down to identity, politics or one's ability to play golf. To your second point, we have seen very successfully that a number of countries who've been hit with these liberation dead tariffs have hit the ground running. They've taken it seriously, they've entered into negotiations, and they've now been able to strike deals. It's not impossible. We know that it just requires urgency, pragmatism, and offering the US a good deal. What the US have been very clear with South Africa is about that they want competitive deals, equally competitive deals to the deals that we get from countries, and they've specifically stated the European Union and countries such as China, and there are a number of trade arritants that the US need result. So whilst I hear and I accept your paying devil's advocate in terms of you know, is this about identity? This specific issue is not about identity. The bottom line is that South Africa's and middle power, we have got everything to play for in everything to lose. We could potentially see the collapse of our automotive sector if the twenty five percent tariffs come into effect. We're already seeing serious concerning signals coming out of the Eastern Cape from certain car manufacturers that I won't mention. And then in the Western Cape where the DA governs, of course, agricultures on the line. Are citrus exports, are wine exports, and we need skilled negotiators who are acceptable to the United States. So you know, I act in South Africa's best interests. But unfortunately, two weeks out from the first of all, the presidency is refusing to provide any details of updates. We're unable to get updates from DT I see, and the fact of the matter is that I don't think that anything of tangible, the significant impact is being done in the background to stave off this, this looming economic catastrophe.
Speaker 3: Emma Pal thank you. The DA spokesperson International Relations and Cooperation. Right, Well, you've heard her version of events. Quite a lot there to look at. She says that this information came to her from sources within the Trump administration. Won't give us more than that you heard earlier from Crispin Pirie, the spokesperson for the International Development, International Relations and Cooperation, saying that it is not true. Very clear, he says that this is not true. You'll view on this. So double one, double A three seven two two one four four six o five sixty seven.
Speaker 1: The Money Show, which Stephen Krudez is brought to you by Absolute Corporate and Investment Bank Drought, sponsor of the African Blockchain Report twenty two more.
Speaker 3: Well, of course, a lot of our first hour, pretty much all of it been taken up by that conversation around the United States, around Uncle BC join US. I suspect it's going to be a little while before we really know where the truth lies. It's not often you get one person in politics saying in a specifically XYZ and the other saying categorically XYZ is not true. I mean usually people sort of play around with words in these moments, but in this case it does seem that is the case. Two very different versions sort of being put to us this evening. I think there will be more conversations and more public debate to come. There are legitimate questions to ask about a party that is not the holder of the position of international relations and corporation sort of speaking to other countries. But how can you say to a South African you can't go and talk to politicians somewhere else? Will be nonsensical to say that. So there are lots of different ways in which you can understand this. I keep coming back to the point though, can anyone change the mind of the person in the White House when it comes to tariffs? You at The Money Show at seven o'clock.
Speaker 1: And now The Money Show with Stephen Credits on seven o two next walk Little.
Speaker 3: The Money Show with Stephen Curtis is brought to you by AUBS of Corporate, an investment bank proud sponsor of the African Blockchain Report. Twenty twenty four coming up in the next few moments, we'll discuss beef prices. Move away from the politicians and talk about beef prices, and of course, in light of the foot and mouth outbreak, you'd expect there'll be a spike in beef prices and in beef carcasses. There was that seems to have come down. Rotend to Houndwingui. He's already here with your Africa update. We'll go through some of the big business stories on our continent and personal finance this evening, Warren Ingram is away. We'll be speaking to tab Or hall or now from the old mutual financial education, particularly around online gambling, and this is one of the big changes in financial behavior that we've seen around online gambling in some way is really quite scary. How much money is going into online gambling at the moment, and the fact that rarely, over time, the odds are against you, and some people it seems, are gambling rarely motivated by a desire to get out of debt, which scares me big time. We'll talk more about that online gambling is becoming a big, big thing. Good to hear from you this evening. Oh double one double a three seven two two one four four, six oh five six seven and voice notes this evening on seven two, seven oh two one seven oh two The Money Show with Stephen Well while all of the other political noise was going on around Uncle B C. Johnas a confirmation from the Transport Minister, the Barbara Creesy that the board of the Road Accident Fund has now been fired or dissolved bick. A word relieved from their duty seems to be in vogue this week, and it follows, of course, the board's decision to put Collins left Swallow on suspension or special leave again, pick your choice. He's sort of fought that so far as I know, he hasn't had any success in that. But we can keep messing around with the politics and the internal goings on in the Road Accident Fund. A couple of things stand out for me. The one is there's a large amount of money involved here. The second, and we spoke to the Minister about this I think two weeks ago. The current model is just not working. It is tied up in courts. I mean I've sat in a courtroom and watched advocate after advocates come to represent a case against the fund I mean, it just goes on and on and on. Where I'm really going with all of this is that the structure needs to be changed. Now the Minister agrees, and there'll be a sort of no fault system. There'll be a sort of standardized rate for what you get paid out, so it won't pay you out for future earnings which led to some quite insane payments to foreign tourists and things like that, and hopefully it won't be based so much on which lawyer you get to represent you. I do think though, that there's a need for urgency. So if the board has been dissolved, now we need to get a lot more and new board. They need to deal for concert swallow situation very quickly and change the structure. And this should not get tied up in coalition debates or arguments or just general politics. It needs to happen. It needs to happen quickly. And people who are in accidents, if there is a legal way for them to be compensated, must be compensated. That really is what needs to happen. Do you think it will. I'm not holding my breath. Stephen has gone.
Speaker 6: X at at Stephen.
Speaker 3: Whether it meat producers organization confirming the price of beef carcasses is starting to moderate. Prices did spike after the outbreak of foot and mouth disease. Now it seems those prices are coming down. To Bila and Kunja is an agricultural economist, to Bila, good evening. I mean, I remember the moment when it was confirmed there was a foot and mouth outbreak in Ka Teng, and I presume it's almost normal in agricultural economics for that to push meat prices up quite sharply.
Speaker 8: Yeah, something is the listeners. Yeah, so that is correct because I remember that, you know, when it comes to meat, they as much as it is an issue for other cloud products, the issue of supply and demand is always the kid driver there. Once we have in an issue where we don't really have enough that you're getting into the mand that they're always going to see these things. But you know, this is something that we anticipated once we saw those outbreaks. We are actually following another issue. We remember earlier on we had a problem with the feit prices that were quite a big problem as we were coming from you know, the previous season because of the drought that impacted the production of it. So once we were going to that. Before we actually even began to recover to that, we had had these outbreaks, you know, for the mob disease, and another issue was another outbreak in Brazil for the evening influence, which also again affected you know, our supply of meat in general. Because meat prices across they tend to be moving, you know, towards you know, the same direction, depending on which product is more avaidable. Consumers tend to go for those that are more afaidable more.
Speaker 3: Can you see when a spike starts and then the foot and mouth outbreak sort of is over, It doesn't It doesn't end as quickly as it is declared. Of course, it ends in a slower way. Is there a sort of classical kind of shape on the graph It goes up quickly and then comes down over a certain period.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because that again, it is determined by a number of actors. They when including the fact that you know, as I was trying to explain that, once you know, the consumers see that amongst the products that remember that meat prices you know, I depend on the cuts and all that. So for the consumers now if they see that there is more affaidability in instance, normally you know a class C, they will fly into that. And also given the fact that you also tend to have credit economic issues and so afterca that determines this again, now that's going to be an impact of costumers buying more of that that automatically is going to drive that prices, which is something that we have seen. And then that of course, again it depends on whether how much of a balance you're going to have to admit it. We are having an availability of poultry the other sand with which we had issues again because of the slot of the supply that we have sued from the coming from US. So it does not really have a time spend. It depends on how you know how much the costumers depend the hispanic bag buying of specific products and then you're going to curdou see that spike immediately, but that again it is normally not the same across the products. If if you had to look across the mid types, then some they will increase sharply given the fact that costumers are flying to buy that. But then for others, especial goods that tend to be expensive, you normally don't see a spike in that. But then again that is going to be determined by the supply and demand of those products that consumers are buying adan size.
Speaker 3: This happened at a Karen feed lot in Hearting. We don't often have foot in mouth and Karting is not as often as you would in Was that a a major factor in how prices responded? Parting Central Province and Karen as I understand, quite a big feed lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was that.
Speaker 8: That was a big fight. I still remember that in South Africa about seventy percent of the beef that we are to consume across that supply across the country, it is coming from the federal system. And then when a bigger supplier of the of the beef through the FIDLOW system that supplies around seventy percent, it is bound to have issues in terms of the supply. And then with Current being a leading supplier and the producer of this and having to have an outbreak in one of their largest you know fed lots that was boundary have issues in terms of the other supply, which is why we sow that you know that spike you know in a in the in the press, and remember that said on we already had seen an issue in terms of mid prices even earlier on because of the fit crices and then a perfect storm king drop because we had seen therese outbreaks and then again coming across a pert when there was already another issue in terms of other methods, particularly the chicken, which is normally an available PRIs So that is why those factors in perfect storming it that led to all you know this in the Prices Act. So but it is good that you know for now things look like are going that's not going to be in one we think it's going to be depending on the factors we are seeing at breaks and in recent days. So that's another affect that you're gonna be monitoring. And it's gonna always in an impact piece.
Speaker 3: No sure. And things like rain which would affect feed the price of feed for cattle, does that ever become a factor? I mean, how bad does the drought have to be before that becomes a fact in the price of beef?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean the drought it's always gonna be a problem still, I mean the way this route or otherwise. But what is important is that the issue around the reign is that it positively impact it's generally the mains production figure, which is the key combinding that supplies the feed to the federal system and generally and animal livestock production. So when we have quite a good year like the one that we are currently looking into WASS you are quite heaver rebounds from the private season. So that is generally a good thing, you know, in terms of the prices were still you're going to have normal prices, but not excluding the fact that for the figure is not a bigger player if you are to look into the global space. But then again, even when you're looking in the global space, they know there's generally enough Craine to supply you know, livestock for yourself. So therefore when it comes to that, we are generally fine. But the issue is going to remain around these are breaks that because as I said earlier on that we have seen quite a significanty line in terms of the slotter numbers, meaning if you are to compete the progress ys, that has a serious indications in terms of how much is available and which products that the counsumers want to buy. Even though the terrain itself does and input in the role, especially in terms of the feed that we want to supply for them, not for the producers otherwise we can have enough and available a feed. But if the supplier in terms of the slotter numbers are not coming, as it is the case in Understandance because of the limitations and movements and all that, that is always going to have a set of implications in terms of the supply and then eventually the price that you're going to be paying for the mid at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: In some agricultural commodity, so chicken, for example, highly traded around the world. We produce a lot of our own chicken, and we also import a lot of our own chicken. And I'm not sure we import nearly as much beef. But if we had a long term foot and mouth outbreak, how long would it take before imports started to come in and started to bring prices down.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So that one, it's going to depend on how much you know of the current outbo we're seeing in terms of efflquent and s stiven, because we cannot really just you know, based on the number of the current heaving. Let's just say, lord, we need to import anyway, So THATSAA does import you know, beef, but this is mostly in the form of live in the form of life winners mostly from Botswana and then maybe which I have always been our supplier of winners, but generally so that does import a few. But in we are a net export a meaning we produce and we sell more than we buy, so we don't really have an issue there. So therefore, even if we are to see you know, an issue in terms of these art breaks, it's gonna take a while to see in terms of we really need to put breaks you know, in terms of general of producing domestically, and then we can say then we're gonna rely on buying you know, outside because that has sort of indications for the sector because you know, there's a lot of course that you has to be taken into consideration in the number of people that are empled across these sectors because of the formers themselves that currently are holding their LifeLock into their fie loves and also to make sure that they're getting you know, their products into the system. But then again, the number of the frequency of these outbreaks we are saying, is gonna take to mind of how much we're gonna be you know, we think that indefecially in the policies and the decisions that I need to be made in relations to those frequences. And then then therefore that's only when we're gonna be able to say maybe the company is still rail consider buying base outside. But then until then we're gonna be monitoring the heartbreaks which are really an issue as this.
Speaker 3: Then for now Tabillian contract, thanks so much, Agricultural econmosts really appreciate the time.
Speaker 4: So many shows the Africa Business Reports.
Speaker 3: Doctor Rotendo and Dunki is founding director of Tribe Africa Advisory, author of the book Rumble in the Jungle Reloaded and good to see you again Rotendo, thanks so much for coming in. Key Gari is spending one hundred million dollars on a cable car project. Do we mean I mean, I know it's mountainous Inerwanda, Do we need them mountain or do it mean like a trolley car?
Speaker 9: No, it's essentially on the mountainous side, and that's one of the reasons that they've had it. But wander and again, a good evening to you, Steven, and a good evening to your listeners. Rwanda always in the forefront from an African perspective initiative. If you remember at one time the drones and the blood and then also they were in the forefront with VW doing that mobile solution and assembly plant. So they have invested about one hundred million US dollars in cable cars and the reason for this look the logic is quite simple. They want to decongest traffic as well as obviously go green and also optimize in terms of people traveling. The cable cars are also an attraction from a tourist perspective because remember there's a lot of mountains and there's a lot of tourism around that, so people moving up and down the mountains and this is going to be intertwined with the regards to the transport system, so it's got a lot of positives around it. They expect to move Stephen about fifty thousand people through this and reduce the average travel time in the urban areas by fifteen minutes, which converts to mobility. So it's a good initiative and it will be the first in sub set in Africa, and I think the plan to go live twenty twenty six, So it's a great initiative and another positive direction for for wunder Cape.
Speaker 3: Tom's going to say we did it first. We all know what's going to happen.
Speaker 9: Not be wrong with a bit of competition. Stud it's not wrong with a bit of competitions.
Speaker 3: Looking at job creation now sports sector a big investment of fifty million dollars. It's interesting because if you look at the youth bulge in Africa, you want the African sports audience in the future, you really do. Yeah, I mean America, sure, but mature markets you need to come here.
Speaker 9: And that's a to put a figure to it. The sports market for Africa is a twenty billion US dollar industry and it's grained on average about two percent year on year, so worthwhile investing. The companies that invested in it are well. The vehicle is Helio, which is listed, which is registered in the UK, but it's focused in terms of the Africa space. They've received an injection of fifteen million US dollars from popra Co which is a subsidiary of a French company, as well as the IFC, so the World Bank is also partnering there. And really the financing is to help sport ip event management, infrastructure and retail and hospitality. And the key for partner Steven that I involved in this initiative, NBA Africa one of my favorite companies, the Malachit Group, PFL Africa as well as Zarrea. And really at the end of the day, I think the challenge in Africa, Steven, is that we've got a lot of talent, got a lot of young people. Social media has obviously amplified the capability of Africa. But I think the big challenge, and this goes back to the Multilateral Trade and Finance Bank africsan bank actually investing in the creative industry through Canics, which is a vehicle that they used to enhance the entertainment industry in Africa. But the big challenge in Africa is how do you convert all that capability, that skill into IP which not only from an IP perspective, but also into a balance sheet item that can actually be invested in. And you can see reteral investment. And this is one of the initiatives that this Popera Core and IVFC have done through Halio in terms of injecting this capital to actually target key initiatives like this. It's quite exciting. As I said, a big GDP of twenty billionaois dollars is the creative industry in Africa. So when you've got investors like this coming to the party. It to definitely make an impact and translate into jobs for the young people like you and me.
Speaker 3: Stop it. There's certain things you'd have to do to make this work. So your sporting leagues need to be more professional sporting clubs. And I say this quite deliberately. We could start with the PSLs sometimes. I mean we shouldn't have government money to buy a VL system and things like that. I mean you need and then you can have a proper I mean we have an Africa League, but you could you know, into club thing, but you can have a real kind of you know, the bottom of the league plays the bottom of the league. You could really, I mean, there's so much potential to do it if you run it properly.
Speaker 9: No, one hundred percent sive and I think it has to start from the grassroots, not just from as I said, the talent is that you go into the townships, you go into the rural areas, you go into the urban areas. Whether it's sports, whether it's cricket, whether it's basketball, whether it's just pure acting. The skill sets are there. The said part is there's not enough of an ecosystem that is structured that has got accountability that goes all the way to the top, so that an internal or external investor and I'm talking from an Africa perspective, can look at you and say, God, this is an asset that I can actually invest in, and not only invest in, but actually scale.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 9: And when you look at social media you see the talent and the capability, it's scaling that to the next level so that it becomes a viable business opportunity. So that's why this investment by Helio in conjunction with proper Core and IFC is a step in the right direction. Stephen.
Speaker 3: And there was a lot of talk about what was happening with Total Energy and Mozambique and particularly around the situation Cabo Delgado, the insurgency there, and now it seems that that twenty billion dollar liquified natural gas project is going to continue.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so, member, Stephen, I mean just the history of this project goes back to twenty twenty one. Obviously, the Islamic insurgents in Mozambique, it took a bit of a stop and also the investors. America was involved, the UK was involved, but the big players is Total and the CEO Patrick Poyan, I hope I say that quite nicely. Recently met I think it was last week Thursday with the president, the new elected president of Mozambique, President Chapel, and they've more or less said, okay, this project is going to continue. They're confident that the security measures they've put in they will make a big impact. And next year is when they're going to restart everything. That's based on what they've said so far. Why is this so important not just from mozambig perspective in terms of infrastructure, in terms of job creation, but for the region, l G plays a significant part in terms of if if the infrastructure in the region builds up, it contributes in terms of power and electricity and energy, which is really which is needed in the region. So quite a great initiative. And hopefully this time when it does pick up, that the whole insurgent Islamic problem will have gone away. But I doubt it's ephen because you know that those regions are highly volatile. But let's let's on the side of question and hopefully this thing will take off and be sustainable and grow and grow as expected.
Speaker 3: And in Liberia they have been having a conversation with the US Embassy in Monroevia. This is about the signing of a big deal around around power exploration.
Speaker 9: Yeah, to put a figure on at one point eight billion, and just to look at the players that are involved. I mean Liberia obviously based in West Africa and close to Guinea, so you've got two big players in terms of the iron ore mining space there, Stevens. So first you've got ivan Hare, which is an American company owned by HPX, and they've got minds in Guinea and they come through rail to Liberia to be exported obviously back to the US or to other international markets. But you've also got Usler Metal that is also involved. Now they're using the same railway line, so carrying is sharing or sharing is carrying as the same goals. But they challenge that is there is that HPX is coming said, look, we want to invest in one point eight billion in terms of the railway line and we believe it's going to make we needed and HPX Usler Metal is a bit unhappy with that because they're saying, well, does that mean that there's no longer any future investment in US So there's a bit of a dispute there, but at the end of the day, it's one point eight billion US dollars of investment. Initially the deal was supposed to be confirmed. The librarians are saying, no, the deal is confirmed. The Americans are saying no, no, it was. It was just an agreement in terms of expression of interest. Maybe it's the English is not so clear into regards to this, but Steven otherwise, it took.
Speaker 3: Me a minute to get that. Oh that was a good dig. Yeah, that was a good dig.
Speaker 9: Only the English is aligned. But ultimately, at the end of the day, if this works out, it leads, it gives opportunity in terms of growth and infrastructure in that space.
Speaker 3: And very quickly the Egyptian billionaire Naguib soars they're spending one hundred million dollars. They're going to convert motorbikes to electric power in Morocco, and I mean you see more and more electric driven by electric whatever, electric bikes in South Africa. I mean, it's the way forward.
Speaker 9: It's a one hundred million years dollars and it's specifically to to drive with regards the conversion of fossil fuel back to electrical power. He's injected one hundred million. He's a billionnaire obviously from Egypt. And the idea is this is in line with Morocco's ambition to have fifty percent of their energy mix by twenty thirty renewable energy. And I think currently their average their greed is study about forty in terms of renewable energy. So obviously the initiative, I think the exciting stort of for me as Steven is that you're looking at an African country in another African country to make it a positive impact. And that's the kind of initiative we're trying to sort of relate across the whole of the continent.
Speaker 3: Rotundo and doing really good to see. Thanks very much, indeed, doctor and Doring Glee is of course the is, of course the person we speak to for our Africa Update every week, the founding director of Tribe Africa Advisory. You've just gone seven thirty on The Money Show.
Speaker 4: The Money Show, Personal Finance.
Speaker 3: Well, Warren Ingram is out this evening. Tabo Halo is the program manager for Old Mutual Financial Education at TUBLE. Good evening. Good of you to join us tonight, and thanks very much. Indeed, we're talking about online gambling this evening and I've been utterly amazed by how quickly this seems to have taken off over the last three years. The adverts are everywhere. The gambling industry in South Africa is a turnover. I mean it's a trillion rand a year. It's incredible when you think about it. And the Amba Bungani Center for Investigative Journalism has said that virtue all of this money seems to go overseas. It's not making South Africans riches a too. How quickly has this sort of happened. It seems to have happened very fast.
Speaker 10: Grivening and steven and thanks for the opportunity and grieving in to your listener. And certainly, if you look at the growth of a very short period, it kind of caught us napping, isn't it that it grew up so so so quickly? And outstanding that looking at an amount of around a trillion revent that that's an incredible number, if by any stretch of imagination. So yes, it's it's quite a big, big number and certainly a bit of a wirying phenomena if you ask.
Speaker 3: Me, well, I'm going to come on to that in a moment, what are we gambling on? And we're gambling on sport? Right we're South African?
Speaker 10: Oh, yes, South African. It seems like sports betting is our our choice. If you look get out of the total amount of trill and rent, over seven hundred billion went into into sports, into sports betting. So it's it would seem like, at least from from the findings, that sports betting seem to be overwhelmingly the the betting choice.
Speaker 3: There's something quite attractive, isn't it. And I'm not on the field with downs or the box, but I can sort of, you know, have a stake in whether they win or lose. I mean, I can see the power of that, the idea that you're a part of it. You're not just watching, you're actually playing. You have a much bigger stake in what happens.
Speaker 10: Look, certainly it would present some sort of an allure of being part of it, right and and well, for some it might be a harmless fun just taking a bed or two, right, but it becomes more problematic when it becomes almost like a problematic gambling, it becomes pathological, so it tends quickly into into an addiction. So yes, from a distance. It might look like some fun, but we must quick be quick to acknowledge that it can also turn into a problem.
Speaker 3: How, How and when does it turn into a problem. I mean, this is always the big question with something like gambling once or twice might be fun, it's just entertainment. It's fine, I can lose that money. It doesn't seem to stay like that for so many.
Speaker 10: People, not not for a lot of people. Certainly doesn't seem to stay like that. And if you look at the text now, is that there's increase in the number of addictioning cases at least in the in the gameless space. And you're starting to see studies are studying to show and increase, unfortunately, in pathological and problematic gambling, so that that in itself is seemingly on their rise and on the increase unfortunately.
Speaker 3: M I think for a lot of people, they feel that they can win, and look the adverts, very glamorous, et cetera. I mean, it is true that you can win. Isn't that really the problem?
Speaker 10: Actually, it's not necessarily false that you might win, but it would serve us good to to always realize that the house always wins. So yes, the allure might look at and if you look at the the the that leads and a lemon that's associated with the advertising around. If you trown around townships, for instance, you see the amount of advertising pilpots that have gone up, the number of outlets that have gone up, it might give you a sense of you might actually win. And I'm not saying you will definitely not win, but it would serve us good to always remember that always the house always wins. It might seem innocent, but ultimately in a long ride, it might not necessarily work in your favor.
Speaker 3: How does the householis win? Is it true that the odds are stacked against you? I mean there must be mats behind that to say it one way or another.
Speaker 10: I think common sense Steven Will suggests to me that mister Protus will not build such a big, big empire just to make holler reach. I doubt if that's the business model of most people that put up so some money in terms of gambling. So all the odds are are definitely stacked against the Panthers and the camblers. Unfortunately we don't realize that because the allure of winning, the allure of winning is always there and Unfortunately, that's what draws us in and the hope that one day I'll be that guy that gets that that million, and it always draws me in, and unfortunately doesn't always work like that.
Speaker 3: So if you had to gamble a lot of a time and some people do, you will win some, you will lose some. But over time, you saying the house will always win more than you do, well, you're always going to end up having put money in.
Speaker 10: Absolutely over along period you'll always be the one that that ends up losing. We've seen that in in programs like, for instance, I Blew It, where people will will come across a massive windfall and in a short space of time they will lose that money. So if you look at overall in the longer period, the odds are definitely stack stacked against any any cambler. The chances of you going out at least above the house at that much, even if the odds whether you take it even in a in a space of a lottery, for instance, the odds of you winning at that stack against you. So so the chances of an ordinary present making it out. For instance, we know that some of the people are a chambling to cover the debtor or even cover some of the expenses. Over a longer period, you end up in more debt and not being able to cover those expenses, and ending up in more problematic situation that you act in.
Speaker 3: I'm amazed that people are gambling to sort of pay debt, and I can. I mean, what this also shows us is that they have no other way of doing it. If they were able to have a sustainable source of income, a sustainable job or two, then maybe they wouldn't be doing this. But this is suggesting that, in fact, I mean, maybe even gambling is taking advantage here that there are there is no other way for people to make them to make money.
Speaker 10: Surely there's other alternatives. There should be other alternatives. The mean is, I'll be the first one to acknowledge that the rising cost of living can put some pressure on on on the pocket. Certainly there are other economic pressures that people experience, and and we we in a cycle of high unemployment in some instances. Yes, the it might look bleak, but let's take a second and ask yourselves, if gambling is the only way out, shouldn't we be exploring other other other ways, exploiting our talents and living with our within our means perhaps looking at other ways either than gambling to get ourselves or to ourselves out of the situation. I'm not I'm not ignorant to the extent that says we don't feel that much economic pressure. Yes, we do, but I'm not sure if gambling is the way out of it.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: Sure who's actually doing the gambling? Is it older people, younger people, richer people, poorer people. Who's actually doing this? And now that it's online, it's so easy to do so gambling has become you know, if you look at sort of old James Bond movies, right, gambling was something done in a casino by old European people in Europe dressed in tuxedos.
Speaker 10: And probably tuxedos, cigars and corneacan. And unfortunately, what we're seeing the rising demographic is the it's a young African maile and you could associate that perhaps with access to technologies are just mobile phone, which makes it easier for people to then go into online gambling, which is a problematic, problematic bit because these are the people that's supposed to be the padbone of the economy, at least of family structures. But if they themselves are going into into into gambling. That says very blik future ahead.
Speaker 3: Why does it meant so much? Is it because of the connection with sport? Is it? Is there some other reason?
Speaker 10: There's many reasons, Steven is not just it's not just the issue of sports, but there's psychological issues, maybe a sic of a thrill, thrill seeking behaviors, social pressures, and and in manly instances, the attraction to things like advertising and promotion ali exposure is one of those. So there's a myriad of reasons why people tend to gravitate into into gambling. And again I must be the first one to point out that some might see it as a harmless, harmless fun, right, but it becomes problematic where it becomes pathological, where where people cannot do without, where where people will wake up in the in the middle of the night just just so that they can gamble, just to stay on. So so there's there's no one thing in terms of that particular demographic and in general, there's multiple layers to it. But most importantly is the mental health that is associated with that, which is becoming more and at least according to the studies, more and more problematic.
Speaker 3: M I mean the stress of that of it must just be terrible, and that leads then push you into into kind of you know, more stress and more kind of need for that thrill. And they see gambling sometimes almost as a release because you get that thrill, you're thinking of something exciting that could happen.
Speaker 10: Certainly, which is which is the unfortunate part of it that the more you get sucked, you get sucked into it. So yes, there's there's definite mental health issues. There's also psychological thrill seeking kind of kind of behaviors, but do not forget all of that. Thrill seeking behavior has an impact on family structures. It has an impact on our personal finances. The next thing, it will have an impact on our employment structure stay because we might be using that little money that takes us to work to then push it into gambling. It might affect other other elements that have to do with with how we conduct ourselves in terms of personal finances. It's it's beyond just gambling. It has an impact definitely on other matters either than finances.
Speaker 3: It's easy to sit in a studio presenting a show called the Money Show and be slightly dismissive one of online gambling. If I were representing the online gambling companies, and I'm not, I would say, well, Stephen, you talk about share prices all the time. You talk about how much money went into bitcoin or went into gold, or went into nvidier or whatever it is, and people lose money there too, And isn't that the same thing? Is there a difference?
Speaker 10: I would argue that there is a There is a difference, Stephen, in essence that, at least my little understanding of investing, for instance, the science behind it. You don't just wake up and just throw the coin in the air and hope it will stick. There's there's there's a whole lot of science that goes beyond that, including investing as an individual, when you choose which vehicle to to to invest in or way to save your money, there's a bit of science that goes beyond it. I doubt if there's that much science that goes into into gambling really, because if you look at it, you're putting against the odds. What are the odds of you losing? And if you look at the general in terms of philosophy in uh in investing over a long up here you will still make your money, but I doubt if you can apply the same in terms of gambling. So certainly I don't see the lightness between investing in for instance, the stock exchange, et cetera, and and gambling. Yes, you might argue that you will lose, you might lose money in terms of investing, Yes, there is that that chance. But I would argue that you have a great chance of losing money if you go in the gambling route than investing. Uh, certainly, that's how I see it.
Speaker 3: So so I mean, if there is a big difference, I suppose. The other thing is that when it comes to investing, you often win. You usually win. In fact, you're you're not betting against the house, you're betting against the market, and the market tends to rise over time. What does rise over time? It's rarely only in gambling that you lose all the time over the longer run.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, And and and perhaps that should be the focus. Is how to to to teach people how to invest instead of pushing people into gambling, how to live with ennoyments, how to manage our finances better. Perhaps we should invest more in in in awareness in terms of risky behaviors such as that just gambling I understand that there's people that invest in that. I get it, and I get it that there's companies that are pushing billiance. But my side is on the is under consumer that I would rather the air on the side of question and look into investment and improvent investment rather than pushing themselves into gambling.
Speaker 3: We're speaking to Tabohollow tonight in Personal Finance, program manager for Old Mutual Financial Education, and the issues that we're seeing in the personal finance space with online gambling. You with the Money Show. It's ten minutes state the Money Show Personal Finance table. Hollow is the program manager for Old Mutual Financial Education talking about online gambling tonight. Warren Ingram back with us soon at Tabo. So one of the things about gambling online is that it's very gamified. It's like playing a game. It's exactly like playing a game. It's like the games my son's son plays, you know, on his phone. You sort of hear beep and shooting and things like that, and yet here there's money involved. So it's quite hard to sort of think, well, I'm playing games, neither I have a gambling problem. There's a kind of disassociation perhaps, and that's.
Speaker 10: The sad part, because if if you look at it and even the design of it, and perhaps it's it's it's it's design that we're just to keep us in there. And you're absolutely correct, it looks like harmless fun. It looks like harmless gaming. But what you're not what you're not seeing, is beyond just that harmless gaming effect, is the damage that it causes in terms of the the addiction path, just to keep you on that app, to keep you on that website, or on on on that platform. And absolutely right, it looks like hameless gaming that anybody can can pick up. And I suppose that's the art behind it, just to keep you on that. But what we don't realize is the more time you spend on that, the more you lose. And that's certainly the sad part. I suppose it looks so easy and I and I suppose for all intents and purposes it was designed that it's designed just to make it easier for you to to stay on, to to get captain there. And that's the said part of the driver behind the addiction in terms of that online gambling.
Speaker 3: How do you know when you have a problem, I mean, at what point do you have to say to yourself, actually I have a problem, or someone you know has a problem.
Speaker 10: There's there's definitely a pointer Stephen. Number one is generally you would live within this particular limit in terms of your budgeting. You know that you have money for transport, you have money for this, money for that. But once you go beyond just money for entertainment and now tapping into things like now you have to default on on on rent, you have to default on your margage pond just to feed your your your gambling habit, then you know that you have a problem. The second big when you start hiding in line. That's another show way of saying I have a problem. When you can't and you go beyond just having fun on those platforms or in those establishments, then you know that you have a problem. In some instances, when you start having quarters inside the family because of the nature of your your habit, then you know you have a problem. And I would wish that even the people that are around us who might pick it up before you as a problem as a gambler, picked it up, you should notify you and say, hey, Tambo, we start to we start seeing some sense of change in you, which is not pleasant. Then we can notify you in terms of your your problem.
Speaker 3: Gambling and when someone else is having a problem, I mean you'll notice money, perhaps training. But it's quite hard to confront someone and say I think you have a problem, and it's related to addiction. You know, cheese, it's a big thing, and addiction and money very dangerous combination and a big thing to accuse someone of.
Speaker 10: I think it's addiction in general. I mean even those that are addicted things like alcohol, for instance, it might not necessarily be easy to confront somebody and say I think you have a problem, or even self to say self, I think we have a problem. Similarly with money, and especially with money, it might not necessarily be a pleasant conversation, and money in general is not necessarily a pleasant conversation. So I will be the first one to acknowledge that perhaps that's where you need external help. That's where you need help from counsellors from other institutions to say, hey, I might be having a problem. Even before you say definitely have a problem. But once you start picking up certain patterns in terms of behavior, set in behaviors that are antisocial in their very nature, perhaps it's time to then start having those conversations that are not comfortable but necessary.
Speaker 3: Do we need to maybe have conversations in our homes about online gambling before people get into it? An online gaming industry won't thank me for saying this, but basically to say to people, look, these are the dangers it. And I mean, look, this is easy for me to say. I've never been someone interested in gambling. I know people who are who are exactly like me, but they just enjoy it. You know, I'm not like that. It's you know, some people do this, some people do that. But but I do wonder if really the message needs to be that, actually, if you're going to do this, put aside a budget. It's it's it's it's part of your entertainment budget. Is really and and just know that you're probably going to lose it.
Speaker 10: I would advocate strongly for that. If you have a separate entertainment budget, make that part of your interde and stick to it. Not just put up the money and when it's done you tap into into other sources. Stick to that budget. And yes, absolutely it should be a conversation that we having at home, but beyond that, even us as providers, for instance, financial services, technology providers, we should also drive up the message of awareness of the risks associated with gambling. It might not necessarily be up to the gambling houses only we I mean, now we're using technology. Surely there's an opportunity for for technology providers to say, hey, be aware of this, because there's the risk in my view, far out with the benefits. So from from whether it's it's financial services in terms of the accounts that that that people use to to to gamble or the technological platform. Surely it's incumbent on us just from a societal point of view to at least push those messages of awareness in terms of the dangers of gambling. So yes, certainly in terms of conversations at home in the households, but certainly from from regulators, also from technology providers, from financial services, it's in our best interest to start pushing the messages of awareness in terms of the risks associated with gambling.
Speaker 3: Tabo, thank you so much for your time, really to appreciate a Tabo hol Up is a program manager for old mutual financial Education. Some of the risks are concerns around online gambling, and of course there's so much to talk about. I can't help but feel that this is a conversation that we will be having again. I think there'll be a lot more to come in the online gambling space anyway. Really enjoyed that double thank you.