Speaker 1: South Africans doing great things.
Speaker 2: Fourteen minutes after ten o'clock, folks, thank you so much for joining us as we celebrate to the South Africans doing great things. Craig Ross is on zoom? Is he on zoom? Craig are you there?
Speaker 3: I am one.
Speaker 2: Clear, great great stuff. Thank you so much for joining us this evening. I'm here with Don Don Gonana, He's here with me in studio Don.
Speaker 3: Good evening to you, good evening guys having us.
Speaker 2: I just want to thank you both for agreeing to talk to us and just to talk to us about the work that you're doing with Voica, but also just to make time for us at this time of the evening.
Speaker 3: I know that you guys are very very busy, but this for us is a very.
Speaker 2: Very very important part of our programming that we celebrate South Africans that are doing selfless work like you're doing.
Speaker 3: Let me start with you, Craig. Where does voice us.
Speaker 2: Start from and why is it that you decided to go this route and what does this route actually mean?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Aubrey, it was.
Speaker 1: It was the I think the ninth year of my life that you know, I was introduced to voiceover by my father, who was introduced by his father. I have a brother who is in, you know, in the acting realm and a couple of movies on Netflix, one of them being One Piece where he was Genzo. My whole family has always been in the voiceover industry, in the voice development industry, and really what you see today is the agreements and disagreements with producers, the different environments and studios, the different conversations with engineers, the thousands of scripts that we've worked through, the courses we've written, the books, the the over two thousand students we've we've taught the blind students where we've taken the scripts and turned them into Braille and given them opportunity. You know, we've It's really is and it's difficult to put it into into one sentenced her Voicer. The Voice of the Institute of South Africa really is a culmination of all of that. I some years ago produced the South African Voice Over Academy and we ran that company for a number of years, which became Voicer, which became Slo Voice and Production Agency, and then, you know, I really wanted to move away from the hands on work on the production side and really focus on the heart of the business, and that is the PM that's people and people's voice and given their voice and identity because really the voice is the fingerprint of each individual. And so really what we were trying to do is go out there and show people that they really do have a voice. And what I'd like to do, Aubrey, is just to give Don an opportunity to talk about what we are doing for these beautiful underprivileged children that Don who've lost mom and dad completely and in that case, a lot of the time you'll understand when I say this, they also lose their voice. And I think Don is going to be better at explaining that part of the business. We can come back to me, but Don please just explain. You know, not only is done there, you know, encouraging the voices and growing there, but feeding these children on a weekly basis. It's just incredible what he's doing. So Don, I don't know, Don, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, and maybe a bit before before you start on. I mean, I understand the power of voice. I've made my life out of using my voice, but I also understand that when we speak a voice, we're not just talking about the audibility of the stuff in your in your throat right right, You're also talking about the ability to express your innermost feelings through the agency that life affords you. So it appears to me that even as Craig speaks, is not just speaking about just the physical voice, although that plays a big part, I imagine in voices work, but it sounds to me like it goes a little deeper. It is about the finding of one's voice through I suppose agency talk to us about that.
Speaker 4: Don good evening to you, by the way, good evening, Good evening again, You're absolutely right. I mean, Craig likes to say that your voice, you have a personality, but your voice also has a personality, So then it does become deeper.
Speaker 3: It's not just reading a script.
Speaker 4: It's like the people that connect to you on this particular show connect to you on a deeper level. So you know, it goes beyond you just being here for a job. You know, you're touching people's lives out there. People are like I can't wait to tune into a Bridge show. And like you've just said, you make You've made it your whole life. This is how you make a living, you know, and and for you, there's nothing better and this is what we're trying to do.
Speaker 3: Voice.
Speaker 4: We're trying to just on earth that wealth that's inside these wonderful bodies, you know, these cases. And the voice is the one thing thing that people hear first. It's something we use to move mountains. I like saying that, you know, coming from a religious background, it was it was the voice that started everything. It was the voice the beginning and the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay that you know what I mean? So then you know, so you will take you will?
Speaker 4: I mean, just just the the supernatural power of the voice. It's just too amazing. Everywhere you go, you hear, hey you've got a nice voice. Why don't you do radio. Hey you've got a nice voice. Maybe you can do some ads, you know. But then exactly, but then we we take it a step further. So the ones that are voiceless, the ones that don't know how to.
Speaker 3: Use that voice, now have a home to go to.
Speaker 2: I was sort of hanging onto Craig's words there when you were speaking about the unearthing of talent that is hidden in our previously disadvantaged communities.
Speaker 3: And again, I want to be clear about this and say that that is not.
Speaker 2: The exclusion of those that come from previously advantaged community, because I think it's it's important for us to understand that even in those communities there are people that are worthy of such opportunities. But I am one of those people that comes from a community that would not have been understood to have the talent or somebody that can exercise that voice. So I I I'm sort of touched by that consciousness, Craig.
Speaker 3: I'm wanting to find out what is the from from you? Don?
Speaker 2: What is the the little getting this thing, the the ba We're the thing that the fisherman, the rod that the fisherman uses to catch the fish. What is the rod that you use to catch the voice that is in the depths of a township somewhere, that's in the depths of a village somewhere.
Speaker 3: How what what what is the rod?
Speaker 4: I mean for me personally, it's spending time one and using something totally different, like food to connect. Okay, Food's good food. Food is very good. Food is very good, right, So I mean personally, that's my rod. So wherever I go, like I've done on this show today, I would like you to taste a piece of me, right, all right, something that I've made something like here cook you cook, I do nice.
Speaker 1: He's a qualified chef, he.
Speaker 3: Is after the show. So then that is my rod.
Speaker 4: But the roted voice is really just discovering talent, spending time with them here like I mean, now, I'm so tuned into hearing like these these rusty voices and then wanting to turn that into something amazing.
Speaker 3: Like I always say to Craig, I want to help my brothers and sisters who have.
Speaker 4: These beautiful, authoritative voices, but then don't know where to go.
Speaker 3: So in the township. The rod I use is food and what about food?
Speaker 5: How to grow it, how to cook it, how to take care of it, and and and how to create a friendship, how to connect with that person because you will never forget that tastes the meal that you.
Speaker 3: Had on that day. Get that conviction. Give me a day in the life of Dawn as he catches voices with food. Yeah, so I'll take it back. I'll take it back to clip down.
Speaker 4: So every Sunday we do we have Sunday school, and after we feed the kids, I go to my little corner.
Speaker 3: I have my camera on and I invite the kids.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: And while I'm sending out a message of you know, asking for help and thanking our sponsors.
Speaker 3: Some of them are with me and I'm you know, I asked them, hey, how was today? Why are you here?
Speaker 4: I'm here for Sunday School. Like I've got this wonderful one called away. Like there's we feed five hundred kids every Sunday. Ye, so it's two thousand meals. But like there are these beautiful little personality that just spring up. You know, there's a lot of kids, and then there's there's one two that just come up. So it's children that you're you're focusing on finding. So it's children that are already there, Okay, children that already attend the Sunday School, right, Okay, Yeah, and then we use them because out of out of every ten, there's one that is.
Speaker 3: Like a stah for sure. Yeah, and then we look for those ones. Okay, can I can I just can I just come in?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you don't mind, aub You know what I think what we're doing for the kids, and I think this also needs to I think this is the broader picture, is that it's not just a program, Aubrey, this is a return, it's a it's a it's a responsibility because somebody once gave donn a shot. Somebody once gave you a shot. Somebody once gave me a shot. Put me in front of a mic, put you in front of a mic, put down in front of mike. I was nine years old, and that one moment changed everything for me. Now, guess what, it's our turn. So what we're doing is we're rallying up and taking kids from communities that often get overlooked or be and giving them an opportunity to come and see what a studio looks like, to hear their voice over a microphone, right to get clothed in a voice attract suit.
Speaker 3: But it's more than that.
Speaker 1: We're giving these children belief, belief in themselves, belief in their second fingerprint, which is their voice, you know, teaching them to buy that car for the incredible price of only six ninety nine, or maybe selling or maybe selling something, or maybe selling a lovely adventure in Dubai.
Speaker 3: It might be something just like that.
Speaker 1: So whatever it is, we need to show them in their languages as well, so so belief in their voice. That's that's what it's all about, and that's really what matters. Okay, that that they can walk into a space and and just be heard or be It's this, It is such an important thing for these kids that I mean in their communities have lost mom, lost their dad. They don't think that they have a voice anymore. They don't think they have a voice anymore. Often your voice is developed through mom and dad. The confidence about who you are is the mom and dad. And this is kind of We're not saying we going to be mom and dad, but what we want to try and do is try and fully gap and explain to these children that that they can turn their talent into opportunity and they can take their How would one say, they could take their their pain and they could turn that into power.
Speaker 2: Talk to me and talk to me about about the various incidents of pain that you've come across. Maybe done you could tell me about this, I mean, what don't what are some of the the incidents of pain that some of these kids would have gone through that your work with them has perhaps become therapeutic.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, sure. Death is a big part of it. Sexual abuse, You're huge.
Speaker 4: Somebody like just them witnessing somebody being stabbed and the violence, just somebody dying on the skills, so it really has like a negative effect on their psyche. But now I heard something amazing from Cliptown and it was at a funeral, and the one lady said, we live in checks, but our minds are not checks. So the amount of positivity that comes out of that place, even under those dire situations.
Speaker 3: You know, father is.
Speaker 4: Under alcoholism, beating, mother physically swearing, going on, just commotion in the family. Now they're all looking for a solace, like a place where they can go and be kids. Now you find the fourteen year old taking care of the nine year old, the nine year old taking care of the four year old because mom is high on meth is out drinking.
Speaker 2: So and again it's one of those unfortunately quintessential South African stories. In fact, we were talking about Cliptown yesterday, as you probably know that yesterday was the seventieth anniversary of the Freedom Charge, and as you know, it was adopted in Cliptown, and many of the conversations actually gravitated towards a orbs. This wonderful document was written and adopted here. But if you come here and you come and look at the place, it's a slum. And that is an indictment. And I suppose upon all of us who through one corner of our mouths speak about this wonderful document that was adopted at Cliptown, but we haven't done much to improve the conditions of that.
Speaker 3: Place, right like forgotten, it's completely forgotten.
Speaker 2: Think that the story of the kids that you guys deal with have that same kind of story of a document that is potentially a life changer for a whole country. But if not looked after, if not given the chance, if not given a platform to exercise the voice, then.
Speaker 4: We have a slum right now, Now you've touched me in a in a deep place because the children we work with are from Sky Foundations.
Speaker 3: So it took kept on Youth YEP.
Speaker 4: And that was run by Bob name yes, and he ran it for over thirty six years until he passed and now in April we buried him. But in Sunday School, this is what he was preaching, the freedom chatter. There are kids in this Sunday School that can recite their entire freedom children and this work that Bob did, letting them know where they come from, what was achieved in this place where they could go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so so so tell me, Craig, I mean, from your perspective, mm hmm, what is what is the thing that is the main catalyst for for helping a child? And I don't know what is the age groups that you guys are functioning with, but you let me know. But what is the main catalyst for for helping a child who comes from such conditions as that you've described be able to experiment with the idea that hey, I have a voice, I got something to say. Not only have I got something to say, but I've got this this thing called a voice physically speaking, that I can use to do so, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it's for me, it's pretty simple. Or we you know, we know what it feels like to be overlooked, you know, to have talent, potential, even hunger, but not have a platform to expose it. I don't want to say, hey, you know you've got something. My bad, You've you've got something. Listen, listen to you Wow, like what ducky. They wouldn't have known if if we didn't come and tell them. You know, that's really the fire, that's the catalyst, that's the fire behind this, because I mean we're not I mean we're not really waiting for the next voice over start to show up at our door. I can tell you that. But we are going out to find them in classrooms, in corners, in the chaos that is South Africa, because guess what, somebody has to open the gate and we I mean, look, access is everything. Come on, you would agree with me. Access is everything. Exposure is everything. You know, once you year session with one of these kids, can can change their whole identity. You know, one adult saying, I mean don just going there and saying, you know you belong here, like can can flip his entire future list. So that's right, I mean, that's that's that's the catalyst. And I think just to end off there, like we remember what it was like to need somebody to believe in us, you know, now we're becoming that for somebody else in the next generation.
Speaker 2: So so, so, here's a couple of kids at the Sunday school and you're right, there's always two or three little stars in that space.
Speaker 3: I can almost see that scenario.
Speaker 2: And you find this one kid or maybe at the mall somebody was calling out to somebody.
Speaker 3: You can hear the day there's something there, Right, what's the next step done. All right. So so I mean just to give you an idea.
Speaker 4: So everyone that says that you've got a nice voice, that person there's nowhere to go. So yes, maybe they might go on Google and search you know, voiceover academies or how do I get my voice trained? And then there's a whole thing that will come up. And then you'll find that there are like just things put in front of you, like hurdles, right, so you you have to jump this hurdle. So this guy is charging forty two thousand for this, and that guy is charging that for this, and everyone is looking out for the money and they're not really looking after the talent.
Speaker 3: So I would say go to voice that.
Speaker 4: There you will find a group of people who care about you and who have made plans for you to.
Speaker 3: For it to be more affordable to you. All right.
Speaker 4: So yes, if you have the lump sum, pay the lump some choose your course paid them. But if you don't have it, then there is a way that you can take this ten rand and break it up into one rands over time.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah. Then the focus is while that is happening, your voice is being trained. Yeah, you are being coached.
Speaker 4: You have you walk out of the studio with a demo market ready now on Monday, you can go to seven o two and say, hey, listen, here's my demo.
Speaker 3: Just please listen to. I want to tell you guys both my story. Yes, yes, please, please please.
Speaker 2: And I'm using this occasion to also thank the people that were, as you say, gave me a break because I didn't have the credentials to be able to say I've done this before, I've done that before. I didn't have cred Just show. David O'Sullivan, who used to be a person here on the show on the show, was doing a was doing the ofternoon Drive at the time.
Speaker 3: That was his show.
Speaker 2: It was right smack bang during the World Cup, the South African World Cup, and I was sitting with her there with my best friend, and I say I could do this. I'm listening to him talk right, and I'm thinking I could do this, and my friend, he's still my best friend.
Speaker 3: He he looks at me. He's got this ry, sort of sober, sort of board look on his face. So why are you telling me? Why didn't you tell him? Yeah? Like, how am I going to tell him?
Speaker 2: He says, You've got a computer sitting right there in front of you, and David constantly tells you what the the email address his email address is, Send him send a mail, Send him a mail right there. And then why we were talking, I sent David O'Sullivan man, I said, listen, I think I can do what you can do.
Speaker 1: Right there.
Speaker 2: And then about fifteen minutes later, David O'Sullivan writes back, I nearly fell off my chair. I nearly fell off my chair. So I ran out of the room, right I literally ran out of the room. He looks at it is what you're doing? I said, he just responded. On the email, David O'Sullivan writes, Now, I'm not the guy to speak to, but this is the guy to speak to. His name is Alistair Tealing Smith. He is the bro programming manager for seven oh two. He's the guy that basically decided what goes on air and what doesn't go in air. I have I have c seed him right and give him a call on this number. So I say, okay, well I'm going to do it right now. So I take the number that he's given me and I call and guess who answers the phone. Alista Tealing Smith. And I'm thinking to myself. So I said to Alistair Tilling Smith, this is how I got your context. Alice says, no, and I can see it. I guess your conversation on the email with David O'Sullivan.
Speaker 3: You've got a bit of Ye, that's what you need. I'm speaking on the phone's nerve.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm speaking on the phone with Alistair Tealing Smith and he says, is that how you speak? So?
Speaker 3: I said, that's how I speak? Is it? Come here?
Speaker 7: This is what?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: What do you mean? Come here?
Speaker 2: Just come here now? He says, come here now. I get into the car, drive from Mammy Lodi to Joe Burke to the studio. There he sits there and he tells me about seven o two and I didn't really know about him. I was in a big honestly, I wasn't a big seven o two consumer. My parents were.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm sitting in front of Alistair Tealing Smith and we're talking about all of this stuff and I'm yeah, I understand that.
Speaker 3: And he's telling me about you know, you got to you've got to be willing to be disagreed with.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I'm sure. Yeah, he says to me what do you do tonight? I'm like, what do you mean? What what am I doing tonight? This was in the middle of the.
Speaker 3: Of the World Cup. So I said, no, I'll probably be sleepy. He says, no, you're not.
Speaker 2: Come here tonight at midnight and let's see how you do. I remember driving coming here at round about twelve o'clock and osint A Dying was right where she's sitting right now. Wow, we'll be working together for sixteen years. However long how long is fifteen years?
Speaker 3: Years?
Speaker 2: We've been working together for fifteen years, and that's how it started. That's how it's been. It was David O'Sullivan who gave me a break. It was Alisa Tealing Smith who said, let's try you out. It was John Robbie who at three point fifteen every morning passing through here, who after my show would say, listen, don't do that.
Speaker 3: Do this?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, stop doing this, because he'd be listening to the show as he drives home, as he drives to studio, and don't do that, don't do that. I received coaching from the best Keno Cummies was the guy that I used to follow straight after the show, and he'd say to me listen.
Speaker 3: I was listening to your show. That was good.
Speaker 2: But don't do it like that because you're alienating those people unless you want to alienate them. And I had the best coaching from people that had no reason to help me.
Speaker 3: I mean, why then they did?
Speaker 2: And I get the sense that you guys are that for many, many, many people out there that wouldn't have gotten the chance to for for me, that was the chance it was. It was a David O'Sullivan, it was a it was a John Robbie. It was an Alistair Tealing Smith. It was a keynot cummies. It was a Jenny Chris Williams. I mean Jenny Chris Williams to this day will give me a random call and say I liked what you said there, but stop being so cheeky, stop being so strident. No no, no, no, no, Remember I told you this. And these are some other people that have shaped my life in this career where I can feed my children, I can say I have a home, I have these kinds of things.
Speaker 3: So what I'm trying to say, I suppose is that the work that you guys are.
Speaker 2: Doing in finding talent in some of the most unlikely places to find voice talent is the Aubrey Masango story. It's my story and that's why I relate to it so strongly. And so I want to ask you. I want to ask you this question. Are you are you identifying some potential stars. I'll tell you why I'm asking that question. Maybe one day we invite them here, yes, come and talk to me, do a show together. I don't know, I'll have to ask the bosses, but talk and maybe we find another another talent.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I mean, you say that on one of our videos, and I'll show you, you know, maybe just after the show Ross is doing is doing the voice over on that video, and it's just you know, pictures, a collection of pictures that we take every Sunday, and he's like, maybe the next bonang, my tabor is right on the street, the next the next yeah, the next yeah yeah. And it is so amazing to be able to build confidence through the voice.
Speaker 6: My little story next a breamsango, yeah, yeah, my little story. As as as as you have mentioned, I'll be quick through my one maybe one hundred and fifty plus people said.
Speaker 3: You have a very nice voice. You do it, by the way, Thank you, really you have a great voice. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: But I didn't do anything about it until this German lady on a Sunday when I was looking for property with my wife, said, as I walked through this house, she's like oh. And all I said was hello, and she's like, oh, Michael, you have such a beautiful voice.
Speaker 3: Are you doing TV? Are you doing radio? What is your problem? Are you doing something about it? Yes? And I said no.
Speaker 4: But on that Monday I called the ABC. I was like, they say, have a nice voice. Where can I get training? And you know, the lady on the phone said to me, no, we don't do any training here, but I will give you a lady called Mariette younger Man, Yes, who trains everybody in this studio, all the radio stations, everybody Like.
Speaker 3: I was like, wow, praisingly, I said, yes, give me give me her number. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I called her up and she's like, Michael, I can only give you an hour a week because I'm so busy, right, And I was like, I'll take that hour week. That hour turned out into two hours in a session. She gave me a price. I paid it and we were in session for four weeks. But now, when I say four weeks. It sounds like it's nothing right, but it's four weeks of reading script, four weeks of practicing, of doing, doing.
Speaker 3: Doing doing.
Speaker 8: Like I remember I had, I had, I had a job, and I was working night shift and on my on my lunch break, it's me and the file in the dark car with a light and I'm just reading script.
Speaker 3: And at that time I didn't know like I would end up being the marketing director of.
Speaker 4: A voice And you should have said, thought, wow, at that time, I didn't know, and and and and and here's the kicker. She I went to her for voice training and voiceover training, and she said to me, I'll give you a bonus. Your voice is so dynamic, you are gonna be on radio one day. Let me give you free radio training.
Speaker 3: And I was like what.
Speaker 4: I didn't understand it. But then when I landed my first gig Ato Communes radio station, then I understood. She gave me that confidence, she gave me that proper training.
Speaker 2: So here's by the way, we are talking to Craig Ross, veteran voice over artists and founder of Voicer, together with Don Gonena, who is the director at Voice or the marketing director at Voicer.
Speaker 3: We're just talking about the journey.
Speaker 2: That young people go through to find their voice, both physically and literally but also figuratively. The ability to express their innermost feelings a privilege I have every day, every single day.
Speaker 3: And that's you know, it's not about me, But I'm just simply trying to illustrate how powerful your guys work is.
Speaker 2: If indeed we are able to follow through on some of the talent that is there, what sort of training do the youngsters get once you've identified talent?
Speaker 3: All right, Greig, I think you can take this one. I mean, you can put it so nicely.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it starts in a number of places. You know, what we do first is we try and identify who wants to step forward. We don't force people.
Speaker 3: You've got to want to want to write.
Speaker 1: Love doesn't force, and we teach in love. And so those who step forward to get an opportunity to step up beyond the mic in a professional environment with proper headphones.
Speaker 3: Scripts.
Speaker 1: A lot of the times some of the kids aren't up to scratch with reading, and that's okay. We have short sentences that we shoot at them and they remember them. Very good at remembering and reciting back, which is really really amazing. And you know what's really fun to watch is how these beautiful children just love taking direction, you know, they want to try it in a different way. And then they hear that they've you know, inflected on a certain word, you know, in an incorrect way, and they say, no, but that doesn't make sense. Can I try this hitting this word? And I'm like, yes, that's brilliant that you're seeing it for yourself, you know. We we we teach them how to read with clarity. You know, it's very important to do that, and not just in a school setting, but in a in a peer to peer to peer setting in your family set up. How to control your energy in the voice, very very important, like I was showing, like I was showing you before, you know, like buy that car versus, you know, buy that ice cream, you know. And how to also sound natural and not not forced. You know, these are the things we teach them. We teach them about timing, We teach them about you know, breathing delivery patterns, you know, and then they get to hear themselves back with some nice music and it's it's or a kid like that in those circumstances to come in to get into a studio and to hear their voice of a professional piece of music and go, wow, that could play on radio. Aubrey, You cannot, in I cannot, don nobody can accurately in words, describe the moment that that child goes.
Speaker 3: Through h oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah. One of the big debates circa two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Fifteen twenty nineteen, twenty twenty was a big debate in radio circles, especially for those of us who do talk radio.
Speaker 3: Right, was how do we become more relatable to our audience.
Speaker 2: And you'll remember, Don, I mean a Craig that there was a time when the script was that good old BBC type of radio, whether the sound had to be of a particular nature, in a particular style, you had to pronounce words in a particular way, it was for a particular.
Speaker 3: For a particular.
Speaker 2: Audience, and it really was was really really, really tightly controlled. How you delivered tightly tightly controlled. I remember the conversations during those days. Was sure that might work in a particular environment in a particular country, but how do we make the people whom we are talking about engaged be part of the.
Speaker 7: Conversation that's so it's you know, you talk such a It's what's interesting, Aubrey is that it sounds like you know, you've you've been in the voice industry for ages, but you have been you may not have been maybe in the voice artist industry, but you have been in the voice And this is why you ask such pertinent questions.
Speaker 1: And I think what you said, like how do you become more relatable? And and you know, well what I'm there's a big drivered voice there to stop people performing, you know, I say to people, yeah, and start connecting right because creative directors are throwing away demos that are remotely performed anymore.
Speaker 3: You know, they don't want voiceover artists that.
Speaker 1: Are you know, by that last pair of shoes on the shelf, because you're going to miss out. Yes, there's there's there's place for it. But you know, scripts are written today so that they could they connect with people.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 1: People want to hear a voiceover artist experiencing a script rather than delivering. So back in the day, you like, voiceover was all about, like you said before, it was like the voice of God was like deep and polished and perfect. But today but it doesn't land anymore. What animal don't know, They don't they they want to be spoken to. They do not want to be broadcasted at. Yeah, you see, they want to hear real they they not a not a radio voice anymore. Like you, you're not going You're not going you know, welcome to seven or two. My names all and welcome. No, you're not doing that. You're talking to us as you're real authentic conversation. It's not there's no there's no artificial melody there, there's there's just truth. There's honesty, this warmth. It's it's it's effortless clarity. I mean, that's really what you're what you're giving us. And and I think that's really what it is. It's like, hey, drop the act, kill the sing song and speak like a person.
Speaker 2: You know you you got to remember some of the personalities during that time, right, I'm talking about what twenty ninety our audience don don't know much of what goes on in the background, How how the the ethos of a radio station such as similar two is built, What sort of conversations, what sort of disagreements are taking place in the in the background in order for us to deliver a particular sound right. It's and it's a harrowing process. I mean it's you've got the big bosses that get that get challenged by the voices the presenters on the on on on air and sometimes thing yeah yeah, and sometimes.
Speaker 3: We as we as presenters will disagree.
Speaker 2: And you got to understand that these are very powerful personalities just naturally, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, think, think, think, Think about.
Speaker 2: A readcha before example, and yous Mackasa all right, or Africa Milani in the same room having a conversation about how to present a Quino Kamis present John Robbie having a conversation about how to present each of them brilliant at what they do. I mean, take a guy like like like like Bomani being well for example. Really, I mean, these are some of the best broadcasters in the world in my opinion, right, a guy like like Aquino commies uh oh, now I forget the different names, but but imagine putting those people in a room, right.
Speaker 3: And then they disagree combustion. Yeah, it's it's it's something amazing to watch.
Speaker 2: And I was sitting the new so I'll be sitting there in the corner and just watching these guys disagree.
Speaker 3: The eloquence, the energy.
Speaker 2: The power in their logic and how they present and ultimately delivers a policy, right, delivers a way that we're going to speak.
Speaker 3: And then you'll have a quiet voice that will just drop everybody. I mean.
Speaker 2: It is the quiet Masaka by the way, Asasaka just quietly say something that will just drop everybody, just quietly, no, no, no, assuming stuff, drop everybody. And you're sitting in this room and you're watching all of these personalities that literally drive South African conversation have a conversation, and then you watch the consensus that that comes out of that, and then you watch how it operates on air and how people It is the most beautiful thing to watch, right, And I'm and I'm getting the sense that that is the kind of thing that you guys want to bring for those youngsters that the voice is trying to bring to the what's to name?
Speaker 3: Why are you not bringing them to radio stations such as this to come and experience.
Speaker 4: I mean, you say that, and I can show you an email that I've sent to this radio station.
Speaker 3: I won't mention names. It's gonna happen now. Thank god, we're here to sort of pave the way to interview.
Speaker 4: And and you know, when you let the almighty run your diary, this is what happens beautiful for moments that just click right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, so you are you are, you are very much correct.
Speaker 4: We are taking them to community radio stations because that's where it all starts.
Speaker 3: And then we look to commercial as like the big tickets.
Speaker 4: Okay, and to me, it shouldn't be like there, it should be let's take a walk to seven oh two, because we know that's why said and you know, because this is what we do. I mean we are literally in the same sort of showing space. Yeah yeah, absolutely so so way.
Speaker 3: Too from here.
Speaker 2: Do we have any potential stars that we can look to see coming out of voice?
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, Craig I mean Craig is doing amazing work every single day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. We are we identifying identifying stars. I mean yes, we are, but not in like a how would one say, not like in a fairy tale sense or B. You know, we're not handing our trophies or making like empty promises. That's not what we're about. What we're trying to do is step into spaces where these voices have been ignored and we're opening our ears and we're listening, and we're saying, we want to show you, right, the potential that you have.
Speaker 3: We want to just show you.
Speaker 1: We want to we want to show you something that you otherwise would never have been shown.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: And we are watching who steps up?
Speaker 1: We we are We're watching who wants to take direction and looking for people that are, yeah, that that just want to live this out because we've got the resources to make it possible for them and so and so that's what we're That's what we're trying to do every single day. And yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: It's a tough industry.
Speaker 4: It's not an easy type of thing. It's yeah, yeah, no, absolutely, I mean yeah, yeah, I mean believe us when we tell you, right. I mean, you know, if you take, for instance, I'm a chef that cooks most of the time, but in my whole life, I can find time to become a sales and marketing director of the Voice Institute, find raw talent, bring it forth, encourage them to come on board and start the journey.
Speaker 3: Right. Most of them have said, oh, but where do I go? How do I do it? And now we have the answer. Listen, guys, it has been an awesome.
Speaker 2: Encounter with you guys, and as I salute you the work that you guys are doing and just thank you for going to those crevices of our society to find perhaps the next Quino Kamis, the next John Robbie, the next Red. I want to thank you so much for the work that you guys are doing. I want to say, please don't stop, Please don't stop. How do people give me time? To you by the way down?
Speaker 4: All right, so you can go to w W dot v O I s a yoda, that's voicer. We do have a boost camp that's coming up on the fifth and sixth of July twenty twenty five. It's it's it's going to be held at Evan Bruce Studios. We're starting there in fun day. Yeah, okay, right here, I live very close to Oh Wonderful. Yeah, maybe you can.
Speaker 3: I'll just come home drop that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that will be amazing. Craig, Craig, I mean, hey, you're living here, brother, Yeah. I mean if I pray the spirits over you, you die. You know, so you actually walked you Oh Wonderful.
Speaker 3: For six July.
Speaker 4: Will will We'll see you there. I think Comoso is also going to be coming. We started nine and ended three four Thursday, Saturday, and second day is Sunday. It's going to be jampacked. It's going to be beautiful. Yeah, we are taking a small.
Speaker 2: Group, you know, just so that we can give you how old, what age groups are we talking about you?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: So, I mean here we've got adults. We've got adults that have signed up. I think on in August, we're gonna we're gonna take some kids, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our kids in kids in August. This is more sort of up from about seventeen all the way up. I mean, we have people in their fifties sixties who get in touch. But I just want to just lastly say, if I can last ten seconds, if you're listening to this and something in you is stirred up, that is your signal. Okay, don't ignore it. Come to booth camp. Like Don said in the fifth and sixth check us out via I SA Dot. Come and find your voice. And if you already know your voice, right, come and sharpen it and yeah, use it, use it to lead and then do other really cool things. So I just want to say again for myself, Craig Grass your seven or two. Thank you you have. I will remember this for the rest of my life, so thank you Aubrey. This has been one of the best interviews literally I've ever had on radio.