Speaker 1: Seven, not Scene and current affairs. This is our current affairs, our right here on the Aubrey Masango show. My name is Komodo Moudis and i'm Infra brah OBEs today. Thank you so much for tuning in and thank you for your contributions. It is thirty nine minutes past nine pm and we are talking all things current affairs. Lots happened today and we just had this conversation with a freelance journalist, Quanity Hunter, on the developments with the DA at the weekend where we saw that press briefing that left me at least feeling a little underwhelmed. I don't know about you. I've been seeing some of your contributions, your WhatsApps right on the WhatsApp nine are really appreciated. Mabasa saying if the DA doesn't support budget for other ministers, who's going to support DA ministers in their own department budget? The DA is shooting itself in the foot. They're petty and throwing tantrums. And someone else said that, actually I think I saw it on X but someone asking was asking, if you're not going to vote for their budget, who's going to vote for your budget? I mean it's quite a you know, a threat to make. But again, is it an empty one? It sure sounds like it. I saw another comment a little earlier, someone saying someone alert much earlier, actually in the start of our conversation on the DA. I think it was Sepaul. Yes, he said Ramapasa took DA serious for the first time over the weekend. I did not believe till it was confirmed by his office that he was waiting for CNA's in's announcement. Both Ramaposa and DNA's need each other, while Paul and Zillah are questionable, and that's Sepul. Do you feel that the president is moved by what the DA has been saying. It certainly doesn't feel that way for me. You know, I found the article that I was speaking about in our interview with Quanita, where it's basically it's on e w N and it says withdrawal from National Dialogue likely to see DNAs in hot water. That's because as a as an organization, the DA could withdraw from the National Dialogue and it really wouldn't matter mean much. But if you're a minis Stern cabinet, that's very different, especially because siennais and is one of the ministers who have been appointed to head up the Interministerial Committee on the National Dialogue. And the President really is not having him sit this out, you know. So I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure the.
Speaker 1: President is bullied or really you know, scathed by what the DA has announced. And I think the ball is still in the DA's court, or maybe I should say Sienna is in court for now. All right, this is seven US and Current Affairs. All right, our second story in the Current Affairs feature this evening. Did you see the appearance of the four trans Net executives. For my executives, I should say Brian Maleffe have been one of them, as well as.
Speaker 2: Gama.
Speaker 1: Those names really having I don't want to say, become synonymous, you know, worth corruption matters. But we are seeing at least two corruption matters in different courts linked to Brian, Malifair and Gama, which really, you know is interesting. The ide pursuing them in a different court today in Palmbridge, and you know they appeared in court today. A from Eyewitness News was there and he joins us now Live Alpha, thank you so much for joining us this evening. Maybe talk us through this court appearance. What exactly were the former executives in court for today?
Speaker 2: Him? Yes, so former transmit executives appeared at the partage Magistran's quote and like you said, the facing broad corruptions and money laundering charges. Now these two are former CEOs or for my top executives a Transnitt and they currently member members of Parliament for the condoces A party. The other two Samsan Atli who was a top engineer Transnitt and a procurement officer at the part of Data when the aless corrupt activities happened. And there's also a notch thing who was the chief financial officer at trans Net at the time. So what's happening here is that between twenty fourteen and twenty fifteen is understood that a transaction advisory contract for about one thousand and sixty four U locomotives was awarded to a company called JP Morgan, and that very same contract was then reversed and reassigned to a company called Trillion Capital, which is a company that is linked to the Gupta controversial GUPA family. In just a few months later, Homoso about nineteen three million rand was moved from transmit acoust to that company that linked to the group the family, and seventy four million Len was then channels to some of the people who are linked to the Gupta brothers and the state is this is a direct violation of the Public Finance Management Act Money laun Drinks. They also say that the process of canceling the contract that was awarded to JP Morgan and reassigned to Chillian Capital, that process was flawed and several rules of flouted as well, which showed that there was some corrupt activities that happened here. So these for men appeared at the partments magistrates quote today and I understood that the CFO the former CFO are noting and was directly responsible for proving those payments to the company that linked to the group the family, and that's how they are linked to the case. The primarily who was the group's CEO at the time, is accused of turning the blind eye to these things as though we're happy. It's also achieved of mis leading the board when he was asked a treaty to account about how the Guda family got to be reassigned to this contract. Who was not truthful, According to the state about how that happened. And you also have Tam Sangachiani, the propurement officer, who also allegedly worked with Brian Mulci to ensure that that contract is reassigned to the Guda family. So it's a very complex case. And like you said, so we are facing similar charges in a separate case that also has to do with locomotives I mean Brian Mullesi and I'm not saying game as well are going to stand trials from February in a separate case that is also linked to locomotives that transmits. So it's a very complex state capture case that we're seeing that we saw play out today at the Partment's Magistrate's court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's important that you mentioned that it's it's a state capture case because we heard Branler for a little earlier on speaking to journalists on the sideline saying that he's really written to the former Chief Justice at Raymond Zondo, who was heading up that Commission of Inquiry, to challenge some of the findings there and he feels it's unfair that he's now being charged with this matter while his submissions are still before Zonder.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean that's you know, that's not you. Several other people who are implicated in state capture have tried in some way to challenge the findings. I mean Gueram Dasha himself was another person who tried to challenge the findings of the Zondo Commission of the Yeah, the Zlo Commission rather and Brian Malisia as well, saying that he's not happy with those findings and it's not a true representation of who he is and his tenure that transmit and I take it back to that Zondo Commission report. It found that Brian Moleskama and are not Sing should be prosecuted, should be investigated for allegedly channeling about ninety three million ran to come companies that are linked to the controversial with the family slouting processes as well in awarding them that contract. So the Zonder Commission did make those recommendations. The under Commission as well investigated them at links handed over the case to the Ideas which also made their own investigations. So he did say that he's not happy with the fact that he's facing two separate cases and he might, you know, end up facing two separate trials. That are linked to locomotives as well. So it's nothing new. We've heard it quite a number of times, people trying to challenge the findings of the report of the Commission of Inquiry int allegations of state capture. I mean.
Speaker 1: Also, you know, something that stood out for me during today's court appearance and bail application is just how the financial affairs of these accused were just laid bare. You know, we heard about school fees that Brian Fair has to pay for and their budgets essentially what came out of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that was a very interesting part during today's court proceedings. It was their first appearance, by the way, so during the form of bail application because they were facing Schedule five senses they had to formally apply for bail and their lawyers were reading out their bail applications and their affidavits in court today and then that there were a number of details to me that were quite interesting. So for context, the state had requested the court to release them on bail off two hundred thousand rands, but Brian Mulasi and the other court acqus for telling the court that they cannot afford you know, two hundred thousand rands for bail, and Brian Mulissi himself asked the court to release them on twenty thousand and bail. He was essentially given fifty thousand bail, but in making the point that he can't afford two hundred thousand land for bail, he told the quote that he earns about forty four thousand ran a month. He takes home forty four thousand rans a month as a member of Parliament for the Kondo Sea Party and broke down quite extensively where each and every single pay from that forty four thousand goes. Seventeen thousand rand goes to the school fees that he's paying for his children, spending three thousand rands for Grosi three thousand and for additional grozie at another property, he says, a farm that he owned. So there are a number of places where his money is going at the end of the month, and that includes a majority of it is going to his family, and he says he could not afford two hundred thousand rands because of that. He has other responsibilities and he can't just neglect his family just to try and get money for bail. The state, the judge ended up giving them a sixty thousand event bail, but he was initially requesting twenty thousand bail, which he said that it's what he a fought. So we heard today about their financial matters, how much they earned as members of parliament as well. So I think it was quite of an interesting revelation in court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially because I mean when sib Gama was sitting next to he was the one who was okay with the two hundred thousand reds, was he not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you know it was. It was very interesting. So Sibonga Gama and Brian Mulifu was sitting next to each other in court in the dock. There were four accused and Siawonga Gama Brian mulif were in the middle and the two kept on sharing jokes throughout the court proceedings that they kept on consulting each other, talking to each other as court proceedings goals. I mean at some point or even frustrated at what the state prosecutors were submitting before the court, and when that part, the financial aspect of it came out, I could see them becoming more tense as a Gama told the court that he finally paying two hundred thousand men, you know, for bail. I could see. I mean I remember Prime really shaking his head and telling his lawyers that I'm not okay with that. And then that's when we hit the lawyer saying that they want twenty thousand and bail. So there's a massive difference between that two hundred thousand percent that the Overcama was willing to accept. I mean, he ended up paying one hundred and fifty thousand less than what he said he could afford. So you could tell just judging from the as frustrations their body language, who is okay with what and who isn't okay with what?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, And maybe just finding the demeanor. You know, it's always interesting for me to look at the demeanor of the accused, but also just you know, the sense that you were getting in the courtroom. Was the state prepared, you know? And and how are you accused?
Speaker 2: In the dock? The state seemed very much prepared to me. The prosecutor that is dealing with this case, there's the same prosecutor that dealing with the other corruption and sword case that Brian Mulisi are not saying and facing. So he extensively researched. He knows his word. He's dealing with the cases. You know, he's been dealing with it for years, so he knows what he's talking about. And we could tell and at some point, I mean apposted these views on Twitter Brime Mulifi and was so frustrated with what he were saying that they were even shaking their head. And the group is back in quote on the sixth of October, and the defense made a submachine quote that by the next appearance, the state needs to be ready in terms of further particulars need to be the doctor needs to be handed over to the defense. And the we heard the state saying that they can't be you know, given orders by the defense, and that's really angered Brian muli It angered as well, even shaking their heads standing up in court. It was quite of a dramatic day, I might say. As far as the two other accused, the concerned, I'm not just saying and Tam san KIAI pretty much quiet to out the whole proceedings, did not try to object, say anything, not even you know, calling their lawyers to consult with them or to reject something. So the other two pretty much were accepting whatever was happening in court, but Brian Mulifi and Kama were visibly frustrated, shaking their head a number of times. I mean, in the videos you can see Brian Mulich is sitting down, putting his hands on his head. At some point, I'm just telling his lawyers that he can't accept it, you know. So it was it was interesting to see them. A person like Brian Mulish has been in caught a number of times before. It's interesting to see him in the stake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, awful. It looked very interesting and it looked very dramatic from where I was. Alframshana is a e W AND reporter who