Speaker 1: Medical Matters.
Speaker 2: All right, it's time now for our Medical Matters feature, and today we're speaking about something that's a you know, can be a really sensitive matter for many, especially people that are struggling with infertility. We speak about how infertility affects millions globally and how more of us may be at risk of being infertile or may be suffering from infertility without even knowing it. Our guest on the show this evening is doctor Lusanda Shiman gemss, a fertility specialist and director at med fem Fertility Clinic.
Speaker 1: Doctor Lusander, Good evening, and welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Good evening, and thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fantastic.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I want to start with with our conversation just on I've been reading about how quite frankly, if you or the official definition of infertility is if you do not pregnant quote unquote, and please rectify me under trying for about twelve months.
Speaker 1: That's not a lot of time of trying, is it.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. And you know, the definition is actually really interesting and I personally don't particularly like it because I think it's very prescriptive and once you tell someone it's time to fall pregnant for a year, chances are they're going to be so stressed that they might just actually struggle to poll pregnant. So there is the textbook definition of below the age of thirty five years twelve of regular sexual intercourse, and then if you don't fall pregnant within those twelve months with regular sexual intercourse, then it's defined as infertility or above the age of thirty five six months of regular sexual intercourse. So the reason why I personally don't necessarily subscribe to it is that if you tell someone that Okay, fine, go and like I said, going for pregnant, you are above the age of thirty five, you've got six months to fall pregnant. That that's quite a stress and stresses is one of the contributors to infertility. But do not incorrect in saying that if you look it up, that's exactly what they'll give you.
Speaker 2: So I mean by that definition that would basically mean a lot more of us are struggling with infertility issues than we realize.
Speaker 3: Well, this is the whole thing. If you can categorically say, Okay, on this date, right on the seventh of July, I'm going to try and fall pregnant, and and I've got I'm giving myself till next year July on the seventh to fall pregnant. Then are you really infertile or is there something physiological that's preventing you from falling pregnant? So is it really infertility or are you struggling to fell pregnant and therefore you need some assistance.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I know that you don't like the textbook definition, Sophie, give us your definition of infertility.
Speaker 3: No, you know it's not even I mean, I'm not going to go against the grain and say, oh gosh, no, this is doctor she manuments also definition or something that once you are of reproductive age and you know that you want to conceive, and you know that you are really conceived, there's nothing wrong with going to get checked out to see that everything is in order, more than anything. And if you see that it's not happening sooner rather than later. And I'm just really saying this because we're seeing a lot of couples above the age of thirty five, above the age of forty who are coming to us and they want for pregnant. And you know, there's a concept of a variant agent, which really is a non modifiable factor. So it's not to say that look, okay, fine, put yourself within the definition. But I'm just saying, once you know that you want to be a parent, it's imperative. Or I'd highly suggest that you are in touch with some sort of health practitioner who can at least guide you in the right direction. Should you not feel pregnant, and do I think it needs a year? I don't think so. I think when you're ready, you're ready, And you don't think that a lot of us are walking around and we don't know if we've got something going on or not. And I'm saying, just get assessed sooner rather than later. A case example is they say someone with polycystic ovarian syndrome, which which is a hormonal imbalance that occurs a woman of reproductive age. If you don't know that, you've already got that and now you are going to go for a whole year to try and fell pregnant and all we have to do is sort that out. Wouldn't it be great if you find that out when you decide to conceive, so that it can actually happen and not take a whole year. Do you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, yeah, what are some of these factors you know that affects or call they cause infertility? As you've said it till I've heard it before. You know, you're as told. Overthinking is a big problem.
Speaker 3: So when we look at infertility and what really causes it, we have to first of all, I just want to say that it can be a female factor, and it can be a male factor, but I really want us to shift to the narrative of it's a couple issue and not necessarily one or the other. That is really important that we put that out there. And then going further, we need to see is their medical problem, is the genetic problem, is a lifestyle problem? Is it a hormonal problem? And then more so is it a structural problem? So just I'm expanding further on those different categories. So let's just say if it's a structural problem, you do get some women who are born without utresses, so they don't have a wound, and they may not know that. So that's important that we find that out sooner rather than later. And then you may ask, but how would you know that? So someone who's not going on the period has never had a period, and has never had a period, and therefore that person needs to be checked out because it's not normal for a woman of reproductive age to not have a period. And then if we go to things like medical disorders, does this person have a thyroid problem that we need to look at, and that is one of the big things that smith is their genetic issue or lifestyle. What type of lifestyle does this person need, you know, in terms of work, do they have work stresses, they don't exercise, they eat unhealthy, they are smokers, and so forth. And then hormonal problems. One of the big ones is the polycystic of wear in syndrome that I mentioned, So that is just really like the woman. And then it comes to the men, and the men we have to check. First of all, you need sperm to fell pregnant, So do they have a low sperm count? Do they have abnormal looking sperm, or do they have sperm that does not really move properly in other words, so that it can go through the wounds into the tubes and then fertilize their egg. Or is there a gland problems such as your thyroid. Is there a structural problem there is obstructions that does not allow the sperm to necessarily go into the women's reproductive tract or are they impotence Do these guys are they getting an erection, you know, or if they do get an erection and they ejaculate, are they actually producing sperm or not. So there are various factors, and that's why I come back to I think it's you know, when you've decided that you want to have a child, is go and visit your healthcare provider and just you know, you just made it, make it known that you want to have a child. There's a few simple blood tastes that need to be taken and an examination just to see if there is something that needs to be fixed or not.
Speaker 2: Lussander, I mean, at what point should a couple say, maybe we should get checked out? You know, having spoken to and family who suspects that they may be struggling with infertility issues, many of them will say, oh, just keep try and relax, don't overthink it, don't stress.
Speaker 1: It will come.
Speaker 2: But at what point should one go maybe or maybe the couple go, maybe we should get checked out.
Speaker 3: Well, look, one of the things that we need to look at is how old is the couple. So an older couple. Definitely sooner rather than later. We cannot be forty one forty two and we're just you know, trying to relax and see what happens in our lives and then if it doesn't happen, then we'll go. I want to see that couple as in yesterday, because then I can do investigations and I can have a frank conversation with them as to what's possible, what's possible, what we should look out for a younger couple. So let's just say, I don't know what age people get married these days. I've been married forever, so but let's just let's give or take people get married. I want to without touching any nerves at the age of twenty nine. Okay, So they get married at the age of twenty nine, and then they want to spend a year by themselves, and then the following year they're going to try and for pregnant. With that couple, we've got more time in order to try and for pregnant, So that definition of a year comes into play. But with that being said, when I think of when we talk about the women, this woman must be having regular mastrol cycles. You know, we can't have someone who's having irregular metroal cycles and then they are trying for a year. Once you have irregular metrol cycles, something is wrong and you need to get seen. So that couple, I would not give an extended period of time. I would want them to get seen sooner rather than later. Or if let's just say she was mestruating at some point and then stopped menstruating, that person, I'd like to see sooner rather than later. Or if they's now they're starting to go a beard which they never had, or they had been having a beard that they've been shaving off, that person, i'd want to see sooner rather than later. And then in terms of the guys, if they're having premature ejaculation, obviously they're having pre mature ejaculation. By the time there's penetration, you've already ejaculated, so you are going to find it a bit difficult to for pregnant. So I think where I would really come in is to say, if you feel something is wrong or you feel you need to consult, there's nothing wrong with having that first consultation, having investigations done, getting assessed, and then you know where your baseline is or where your standpoint is rather than no, let's just wait, let's just wait because a lot of couples actually put it off for it's longer they're necessary, and then by the time you know, by the time they come and see us, it's either now the old or the egg reserve is low, or the sperm count has been abnormal all this time and now we're only discovering it. So I think once you think about it, so if there are couples out there and they feel sure, we've been at this for I don't know, six months, they will take rather just go and see someone. Go and see your Guyanese so that you know, you can at least have the conversation, so you understand because I only say people, it's actually quite difficult. We see a lot of babies running around and so forth, but it's not it's actually hard to feel pregnant, and it's even harder when there is an issue. Sure.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've been wondering whether it is infertility becoming more prevalent, or is it the awareness and the speaking about it that's making it seem like more and more people are infertile.
Speaker 3: I think there's a subset of I actually call it a silence pandemic, and I think we're not vocal enough about it. I mean, it's at takes one in six couples globe. You know that that's quite that's quite a big number. But how many people actually openly speak about, you know, they're struggling to fall pregnant. Right now, there's a whole global movement which is break the taboo, and it's really break the taboo and speak about your infertility journey, regardless of what it is. And I think it's not necessarily that it's becoming you look that you can say it's becoming more prevalent because lifestyle has changed, you know, and and the job market has changed. Women are coming up corporate ladders. You know, they're putting all falling pregnant till they're much older. And that's where I'm like, okay, guys, now, let's start social freezing. Then freeze your age when you're younger so that you've got options later on in life. So in terms of prevalency is different factors. You know, now women are working in the minds and there's there's a concept called endocrime disruptors, so environmental factors that can affect your fertility so there is different reasons why women may becoming fertile. But I also think there is a subset of women who are actually happy to speak about it. I mean, when I think about our fertility clinic, it's been around for thirty years, you know, so it's been a long time since people have been struggling to fell pregnant.
Speaker 2: You know, you speak about freezing eggs, But how accessible is that doctor? Because I'm wondering, I can't even think where I would start if something to deb that conversation.
Speaker 3: And I'm so glad you're actually mentioning that. And that's where the problem is, is that are we actually having the conversation. Are we saying to someone who is twenty five, has just gotten into the job market. Are we talking about what are your aspirations in your job market? Are you considering being a parent at some point? At what point are you considering being a parent? And then you start having the conversation about, you know, the older you get, there's a concept of ovarian aging. This is a non modifiable factor. You're are forty five, or your eggs are thirty and so forth. So where would you start? And it starts with the first point of contact with any health care provider, and that's where we are really, that's where the gap is. So even if you like, I don't know, just random, you're going to see your dentist, you know, for your six month check up, but you don't see any other doctor. The only person you see is your dentists because you're so you know, intentional about having dental health and it's for that dentist to say, listen, actually i've been doing your teeth for quite a while. What is happening with you in terms of you know, fertility and so forth. Do you want to be a parent And you're like, yes, actually I do, but not right now. Maybe and I'm a bit older, and it's that well, you know, there is maybe you should go and see a guy, and you're going to see a fertility specialist in terms of guest seeing what your options are if you're going to put or falling pregnant, And that's where the conversation begins. And we're not having those conversations. We really just have them at dinner parties. If someone just happens to mention that they say they went to and made same fertility clinic, and they froze the eggs and then everyone gets excited like, oh my gosh, so what does it entail? What did you do? You know? And I want us to start having all those conversations because then I think it will sat out a lot. It just gives you options. So it's not to say when you're older you will struggle. You know, you won't feel pregnant. It just means that in the events that you do struggle, you've got these thirty year old eggs which are sitting there waiting to be used.
Speaker 2: You know. I'm actually thinking back to the first time I became aware. Maybe I was aware, but the first time I was actually confronted with the reality of freezing eggs was through a TV show called Being Mary Jane.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you remember that show.
Speaker 2: There was a show called and Mary Jane had decided to do that because she was having so many issues, you know, in terms of relationships and she wasn't finding the one right then out of thinking in the South African context, do people go to the guyany and what does that process.
Speaker 1: Even look like? Doctor?
Speaker 3: So basically, once that thought is in your head, is two on your Guyanese visits that you have or even if you if they say you're doing your pap smears at a GP, even that conversation can really begin there to say, look at the moment, I'm a single person, right and I'm working and so forth, and I don't know if I have a prospective partner or not, and what options do I have in terms of fertility preservation. It's a very easy answer. It would be like, look, consider freezing your eggs. Okay, so what does that entail. Well, you'll need to go to a fertility specialist and basically we do explain that to to to the patient. And mind you, it's not just about freezing eggs. You can free sperm as well, So the conversation really starts there. And then in terms of what it entails, basically is injections that we give which we basically we want to get as many eggs as possible, so we grow the follicles up to a certain size, and then after that, once we track them via ultrasound, and we'll give you other medication to stop you from augulating so that you don't lose the eggs. And when we ready, then we do what we call a trigger. So to always explain it to my patients where I'm like, think of an egg, like you know, a chicken egg that we make for breakfast. So we want that egg to grow, and then at a certain size, we give you an injection so that we can go and so that we can soften the egg shell so we can go and take out the egg white and hopefully that egg white will find an egg yolk and that's what we freeze. So it's quite a simple process which takes around to give or take two weeks. So it's something and a lot of women are doing it. A lot of women are actually waking up to the fact that, look, I'm not in a relationship. I don't know what my prospects are. But what I really love about social freezing of eggs is that it gives the woman reproductive freedom. It says, I'm not waiting for mister Wright to come, because what happens if mister Wright comes at forty five?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: So it gives that woman that reproductive freedom to decide when she wants to parent and how she wants to parent.
Speaker 2: So we're talking in fertility with doctor Lucander Shimange Masource, who is a fertility specialist. This is our Medical Matters feature that we have on a Monday. Really interesting conversation here. I'm going to open up the lines and invite any of our callers who are interested or I have questions around fertility, whether they are personal questions, we want to hear from you. There A double one double a three seven two oh to one double four six five six seven. All right, So doctor, you spoke about lifestyle changes. How important is diet when one is trying to feel pregnant?
Speaker 3: That is important, and you know, and that's the one I suppose that's the one part that's really overlooked because we live in such a different world where you just order your food online, it gets delivered to your door. You don't know how it's cooked, you don't know who cooked it, and so forth. And I think that's why, you know, long time ago, women were really just having It was not abnormal to say, you know, we hear my grandmother had nine kids, you know, because they really actually had an organic diet, they ate what they planted. And now we are in a fast culture where it's just a matter of just putting something in the microwave and you know, and eating it, or in the a fryer and eating it and we're not cooking our food anymore. We don't know what's actually going into our food, so we have to look at you know, inflammation does play a big part, and what are those inflammatory foods? You know, so when you know your process, cover hydrates your process and your processed foods and so forth. So diet does play a big part. But it's not to say you have an unhealthy diet. You can't fall pregnant, because someone can easily phone now and say, look, I've been eating McDonald's all my life, or I've been eating fast food all my life and I've got four kids. That those people are outliers. But for someone who really is struggling to for pregnant, I will always gauge the diet aspect, like what do you actually eat, you know, and how is it affecting your body. But with that being said, I think in general we all need to check ourselves in terms of our lifestyles and what we're doing, because ultimately, let's just say you do for pregnant with this unhealthy lifestyle, you bring a child into the world, you really want to die young and leave this child without a parent. And that the part that we actually don't think about you know, we've all got bragging rights about how it felt pregnant, drinking every day and I've been smoking since our sixteen and eating false food. But then what does your lifespan look like and what happens to that child? So definitely, lifestyle diet definitely does play.
Speaker 1: Impact for both men and women.
Speaker 3: It definitely for both men and women. Definitely definitely, because ultimately, yes, a man will produce sperm, but what is the quality of that sperm. Does it have a potential to fertilize an egg because we look at we have to look at how you know, well, like I said to the number, how it moves, how it looks, does it have binding capacity? So it's definitely both men and women. And that's why, you know, what I always say is that this is a couple things. It's not either all. So if one is going to be on a healthy lifestyle chain, both of you must be on that train.
Speaker 2: And just you know, I think that there's an element also around shame when it comes to fertility, where couples come to you as a last resort, but oftentimes you know, or sometimes you know, one partner may may have a bit of shame, you know, around not being able to conceive. How does one go about addressing that, particularly when you come into contact with couples that are desperate to hoole pregnant but really don't want to be there in your office.
Speaker 3: You know, I think I have the fortune of having worked to people most of my adult life just by virtue of the job that I do. So you tend to you know, you talk, you see the couple, You talk to the couple, and you can see when someone's uneasy. And this is where a reproductive psychologist comes in. So in our clinic, we've actually got a psychologist, and I'm the first person to say, look, I can see you very uncomfortable with the results that I've given you, or you're uncomfortable with being here, and I get it. I get it in that you know, the ones that you've probably succeeded in everything that you've done in your life, and the one thing that it's just supposed to happen naturally is not happening, and you may be struggling to, you know, to deal with this. So we refer, we do refer to a psychologist who will unpack everything. By the time people come into the facility, clinics. They've conceded to the fact that we are struggling and we need help. And you know, once you step into that door, then it's one of those where okay, guys, now we're going to be open with each other and we are going to work together in all this. Very rarely you will get people who will say, I really don't want to be here. My wife has forced me to be here, you know. I think way it becomes a bit of a challenge is once you get to a fertility clinic, you know, by virtue of what we do, you know, with assisting couples, and it's a lot to say they can't for pregnant spontaneously. But is when there's an insistent that, yes, we want your help, but we don't want iva for anything like that. We want for pregnant spontaneously. That's really where the challenge comes because it limits us in terms of what we can actually do as fertility specialists. But once they walk in, they've decided that okay, we need help and we are here.
Speaker 2: Zara double one, double eight, three seven two, that's the number to dial if you have questions for doctor Lussanda Shimange.
Speaker 1: Must all say.
Speaker 2: Who's talking us through infertility and fertility issues. She's helping us make sense of you know, infertility and what a difference early action or early detection can make. And yeah, I want to invite you to be part of that conversation. I want to hear from people who have struggled with fertility or are currently struggling, or if you think that you may you know, you may be having issues, or you could have issues. I really want to hear from you. We've got doctor Shermange here to help us make sense of your questions and give you the answers that you may need to please get in touch in touch with us, and our callers have the tendency of calling towards the end of the hour and they're not getting the answers that they require. You'll find people calling at fifty five, at fifty three, or you know, seven minutes to the hour. So I want to encourage you to call now if you have a question so that we can address it with doctor Shimangem. Maybe my next question that doctor Missander is, I mean, how much of a bearing does the psychological aspect have on fertility issues? You know, you often hear people saying you're overthinking it, You're overthinking the whole thing.
Speaker 1: But is it really start.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can imagine stress, as you said, and but does I have as much a bearing on fertility when people overthink conception.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that you say that, and I was hoping we're really going to address this. So when I think about my journey, so I didn't have any fertility treatment to anything like that, I just want to say that, you know, I had all my kids spontaneously, but I'm thinking back to when we're trying for our first child, and you know, based on your question, I think there was an element of overthinking and it just was not happening, you know, first man, second month, and I'm like, what is wrong? So I was so I was ready to go and see a fertility spacialist by man five. You know, not because of anything, but I'm like, but because it was just that expectation that is going to happen. And then when I stopped, you know, because this is exact and so forth, and you know, sat down with my husband and I was like, oh my gosh, you know, we get pregnant. Now you know what's going to happen with exams and all that, so maybe we should just like shelve it for now and we'll start it going. So we literally just like stopped overthinking, and then we felt pregnant, you know. So there isn't because it does get technical. It really does be technical, because now you'll have a woman's like, no, no, no, we can't have sex now because I'm not ovulating, you know, I'll there, you know. And then the poor guy's straight now he's supposed to perform, and then he has performance anxiety. So there is an element of that. But what I really want to stress upon is the mental part or the psychological part, which is really the silent cost to infertility, were either a couple can't talk about the challenges that they have so they're basically suffering in silence, or the couple can't go and talk to someone and they don't know what to do. And and almost like there's a shame in that we are struggling to feel pregnant, you know, and and and and that is the part which I really wish we could just get over that. It's okay, it's okay if you're struggling to fell pregnant, because you can actually get help. So there is there is that one part where a couple start overthinking it and then you've got all the apps and you've got all the ovulations and you're just you're doing a lot, and you know, then you're not even lovers anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it takes your fun out of sexy.
Speaker 3: Time exactly missions to get pregnant, you know. And we see that often. We see that often, and I do say to my couples, I'm like, listen, while we're working on you guys falling pregnant, don't forget why you felt you got together in the first place. Don't forget that you are still lovers. You're still a couple. So it's you're still a couple, So it's okay to just actually enjoy being with each other, you know. And I think that is so important because it's I think it's just kind of like as an element of it doesn't have to be a job, you know, it does not have to be a job. And I think it and it happens without you even realizing that. It's just that you know, we can I mean, jeez, you can. You can definitely depict it, you know, from the consultation. So there is definitely a psychological aspect to it. But there's also the other side, because couples do break up trying to feel pregnant and it doesn't happen, you know, couples do get depressed and do get anxious. So that is the one part that we really always need to address. And I always ask, like, you know, so how are you doing? You know, how are actually how are you dealing with this? And especially when you know the guys sometimes struggle to open up. Eventually they do because they realize, look, there is no judgment here. We just want to help you.
Speaker 2: Sure, let's take some calls. Gaylee, you're in Pretoria and you've got a question on freezing eggs.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: I a listening commodore and the.
Speaker 5: Doctor Hi, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Yes, thank you so much for insight for and yeah, very important topic. So I just I've got actually one question for the doctor. So I'm forty three this year, okay, and what I wanted to know One can I still freeze my eggs at forty three or are they too old? And number two, what would be the cost for for for yeah, for for for freezing eggs, like just a rough estimate of how much I would be looking at? Thank you and listen online doctor the signer.
Speaker 3: Thank you Gailen for that very important question and the one thing I mean, I'll discuss the custo and so forth, but the one thing that you mentioned is I'm forty three. Should I still freeze my eggs? Or am I too old? And you know, I think gone are the times where doctors make decisions for patients. It's a conversation that you need to have. So how would it would go with me? Let's just say I'm like, okay, listen you forty three. And obviously our gauge the ovarian aging, which is a big thing. Age is a non modifiable factor, and I would have done all the investigations. But I'll also ask why are we freezing? Why aren't we having a baby? So I would want to know the reasons for that, and would also talk about the quality of the eggs, you know, to say, do you want to freeze eggs? Obviously there will be investigations that will be laid with, but ultimately the quality of the eggs would be a big thing in this situation as to let's just say we go and we freeze your eggs. We are not going to freeze twenty eggs. We may be lucky if we freeze one or two eggs, and then once we freeze those eggs, they still need to be fertilized by sperm at some point, and when they get fertilized, they need to get to what we call a blastocyst stage, so a day five. So we need to actually create a baby with these eggs, you know, And this right now the success rate is actually quite low. So it's a matter of you've got this information, what do you need? What do you want to do? A lot of our patients over the age of forty so forty three forty two actually end up using donut eggs, which are younger eggs, which has a better chance of success. So to answer her question, should she freeze eggs at forty three, I'm saying at forty three, please have a baby? Can we help you have a baby at forty three, not help you freeze eggs?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: And that's what I say because remember also the older you get, you've also got increased risks of congenital abnormality, So having abnormalities worth the babies. So I think that is really just a frank conversation to have. Is it worth freezing eggs at the age of forty three. I wouldn't entirely recommend it, but there are some patients who insist on it. But as long as they have their information and they make an informed decision, then you know. There's a point of departure in terms of cost with freezing eggs. And let me just say we are freezing and not necessarily going to fertilize, just really keeping them there. There is a cost permans. It differs from clinic to clinic, and I'll be lying if I give you absolute values, but rough estimate it's about two thousand rand per month to keep them frozen. But for the actual process we're looking at about plus minners. I want to say about sixty to seventy k but I'm speaking under corrections. But you're welcome to phone our clinic and they will definitely give you the correct values, the correct amounts, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So I hope that helps you kill it and you'll be able to make a decision asap. Going forward, let's take a call from anonymous you're in Davidton, Grievening, and go.
Speaker 5: Ahead, high doctor. I'm telling fully four this year and I did try a I v in one of the government hospital, and I think I tried twice and the first one it was failed, and then the second one it went to a chemical pregnity that it didn't last for a month. So now that i'm telling for the two years, for the four three, what must I do to boot both my eggs is to try for the last time because in the pri in the government hospital, they told me that I must look for it now, so of course is my age anymore?
Speaker 3: Thank you for that question. So just to let you know, well, the questions I would have to ask is that when you did the first IV, it's how old were you? That is.
Speaker 5: Around thirty eight or thirty seven?
Speaker 3: Okay, foes, but now can you see what we're talking about is that that's thirty seven and thirty eight there's still a chance and you went for it, and well done for going for it, and I'm sorry that it did not work out into a live birth. But now you're forty four, so that is definitely I mean that that age group. That is the age group that yes, and I know you're coaching in the government hospital. They say you must use a donut, but in the private space as well, and it goes back to the first caller, should she freeze the eggs at forty three? Can I use your eggs at fourty four. I'm not saying that you can't, but knowing what you know, the prognosis is not that great, you know, because we know that there is a decline in terms of your life births the older you get, and it starts going down at the age of thirty five, whereas with the donor eggs, and which is not a bad option, your chances actually remain high. So to answer your question is what should you do? I think you need to get hold of, you know, get in touch with a faculty specialist and just really see what your options are because there's also be blood work involved. But from a cost effective point of view, I would recommend donor eggs. But like I said, we do get patients, so like, look, I just want to try my eggs and if that doesn't work, then I'll go to donor. You know, but at the age of forty four most definitely me and you are the same age mates.
Speaker 7: By the way, Yeah, yeah, And the reason why I'm saying that because I've got a period that's playing hide and seek, and it just goes to say actually it goes to show what actually happens to your eggs.
Speaker 3: The older you.
Speaker 7: Get, yes, yes, and they low reserve.
Speaker 3: Now exactly so you understand that language of your age. And I'm sure it's like zero point four or something, and you know what that means. So I think, I think, secretly you know the answer.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: I thought maybe going at the root of because they're saying, okay, it's on the internet. They say, okay, if you can both the egg maybe like three to six months and then maybe you can able to to to get more eggs. But then with in eight I think the don't one, as you said, it will be the best option.
Speaker 3: And you know, and you think a very important thing. I love the fact that you went back to the internet because we know they're listening and the algorithm just follows you. Yes, so the one thing about boosting your eggs. Yes, we may go and get five eggs, but what is the quality of those eggs? There are still forty four years old?
Speaker 4: They are not.
Speaker 3: And that's where everyone misses it is that you know, yes, number is a big thing, but also age of the eggs, quality of the eggs is a massive thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, Anonymous at home. That was helpful and I wish you all the best on your journey.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: All right then, anonymous.
Speaker 2: In Davidton, I think let's take a voice note now and hear what more you have to say.
Speaker 4: Is calieah, I just want to find out you're saying you can also freeze sperms. How much does it cost roughly to freeze sperms? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Listen on the lady Lisander the freezing of sperms? Did you hear that?
Speaker 3: I heard that question and thank you for it. And I'll be honest, I do not know how much it actually costs to free sperm, but definitely a lot less than freezing eggs, only because of what it entails. So with freezing eggs there is medication involved to stimulate the eggs, for us to remove the eggs for them to be frozen. But in terms of freezing sperm, it just really needs a man to ejaculate by a masturbation and then that sperm is processed and then it's frozen. So you can see, it does not require any form of medication unless there is something clinically wrong with the male who is freezing sperm, who may need medication but definitely.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, well at least okay, we've got a sense, and I'm sure the listener will then be able to go and do a bit more research and consult. That's what I'm hoping this interview does. It gets people to want to consult. Let me read somewapped messages, someone asking, good evening, I just want to know if excessive alcohol intake can affect female fertility. We've heard it. I've heard my mom speak about it before. Is that true, doctor Lusander?
Speaker 3: It's I always laugh at this question because you know, we alway speak up outsiuthe Africa and the issues with drinking. Yes, you know, but yes everyone is falling pregnant. Yes, Look, I think the one thing we need to really realize is that this is not a blanket statement, and it's more of an individual statement. You know, It's not uncommon to get someone to say I don't drink, I don't smoke, I go to gym five times the week, I eat healthy and so forth. But I'm I'm struggling for pregnant. And you just get those people who are just they're for pregnant easy. You know, they're made to full pregnant So to answer the question about alcohol, definitely it does play a part. It is a toxin at the end of the day, and you don't know how your body is going to react to it. You know, you don't know if it's going to have an adverse effect or not. So for me, for anyone trying to fall pregnant, I'll definitely lean towards a more healthy lifestyle. And when I say that, I mean if you have a glass of wine every now and then, then you know it is what it is. But also, don't stop living because you're just trying to fell pregnant. There's life at the end of the day, you know. And I think that it's very important that I say that, because you can't spend your whole life living a certain way because you are trying to fall pregnant and then it doesn't and then it comes it has other ripple effects. So alcohol, yes, does play It does play a certain role, especially because of equality. You know, everything goes back to equality, s film quality at the end of the day, you know, So it does. But I also say, don't stop living. Don't stop living. Just rather, I'd rather had someone to come and see me then to stop alcohol and try and fall pregnant for five years.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Another listener here saying, I'm forty one year I'm a forty forty one year old female. I'm on chronic medication. Is there any risk of getting pregnant? I've never been pregnant before, but now I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 3: It would be first of all we'd want. So she asked, if there's any risk of falling prety?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think maybe that might be framed. I think what she means is she wants to fall pregnant. She's she's never been and she thinks she's ready now.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you know that's also one of those where it will take a full consultation because you'd want to know what chronic medication is she on, first of all, because there is medication which can prevent women from having regular menstrum cycles and therefore struggling for pregnant. And then so that would be the first thing, and then the second thing. At forty one, she has ever tried falling pregnant before, so obviously you'd want to know is she in a relationship? Is she doing this by herself? And if she's in a relationship, is to assess the guy as well, and then for her to just basically assess the medications that she's got and to have a physical examination with an ultrasound scanned and then from there then we can have the conversation about okay, call, you can go and you know you can try and for pregnant, but we and we need to take agent. I know, I'll always keep going back into age. How does she want for pregnant, that you want to be assisted, that you want to susue the own and so there's a lot of evaluations that really and I think a lot of people are going to call to say what should they do? And ultimately is you actually need to see someone so that you can you can have a full comprehensive examination, consultation, worth investigations to really know where you are sitting because it's easy for me. So of course you can feel pregnant at the age of forty one and next thing you've got block tubes. Yeah, then it completely nullifies everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely sad that we are going to have to let you go and leave this conversation. There's sort a fruitful one really quickly. Where do people where can they find you if they want to get in touch?
Speaker 3: So I'm based at made Same Fertility Clinic. It's in Brianston. It's corner Peter Place and a nursery lane. Or you can just really go to our website made Fame, Madfam, dotzo dot zta and you can see all the information that's say and you can book an appointment through the website.