Speaker 1: And now The Money Show with Stephen Credits on seven O two. Let's walk little.
Speaker 2: The Money Show with Stephen Curtis is brought to you by Abscess cib As registered FSP. Good evening, I'm Stephen Curtis. Seven minutes after six. Welcome to the program. A bit of anticipation in the AVERB twenty starting literally as we start talking to you tonight, the President is in. He is giving a big dinner for CEOs ahead of the G twenty. We'll hear from our reporter Knockakanye Tamble, who is there for you today, the EWN reporter there. So looking forward to that conversation with her. Other events of course going on, and you do just get that sense that things now really are stepping up a gear ahead of the G twenty over the weekend, and of course you'll have a lot of coverage from that will broadcast live from there through the weekend as well. Looking forward to the conversation with telcomen just a moment, non Colled ecud Lamini is the group chief financial Officer of Telcom. Thev had what seemed to me to be pretty strong results and they do seem to be eating the prepaid lunch of MTN and Vodacom. Also, I was at the big Bloomberg event this morning. This is the Bloomberg Africa Business event. They were talking their summer. They were talking. Ronald Lamuller was there. He was talking about the US boycott of the G twenty. But also an interesting question, where would you invest a million rand And let me put the question to you differently, how much of it would you invest in South Africa and how much offshore? If you've learned anything from Warren Ingram over the years, it's that you do need to diversify. You don't put it all in one place in one country. But how much of it would you invest in South Africa at the moment? Such an interesting question. Also the cloud Play outage. I'm sure you were affected by this in one way or another. At least one of the big South African news sites was down earlier today as a result of this outage. And when cloud Player goes down, that's about twenty percent of the world's web traffic. It does seem to me that you can get into a position where because of the way that economics works, because having one operator or one or two operators can make it cheaper for everybody. Think Amazon Web Services. What that means is when one goes down, well, a big chunk of the web goes down. We'll talk through the economics of that with Duncan McLeod from tech Central later and Professor David bach is the president of the IMD Business School. He's actually in town at the moment. He's in Cape Down and we'll be talking about the role there. We'll talk about what CEOs need to learn as well. Looking forward to all of that tonight. You know the number O double one double A three oh seven two two one four four six O five six seven and voice notes of course on seven two seven oh two one seven oh two.
Speaker 3: The Lanely Show with Stephen crutis live on ninety two point seven and one o six f M.
Speaker 2: We're streaming on the Prime Media.
Speaker 1: Plus NAP and DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 2: But I've talked today about a story that was published in Daily Maverick this morning around the leader of the DA John Stiernhysen. For me, those of two big facts to the story. The one is that there was a defaultudgment against them for one hundred and fifty thousand rounds worth of credit card debt, and I know arguments can go in lots of directions here as a politician, sort of private finances anything to do with the rest of us well, I mean the Constitution says very clearly that if you're a bankrupt you cannot be a member of Parliament, so I think already there's a kind of principle there. There would also, I think, be an argument that if you can't manage your own money, can you manage anyone else's. And then I suppose, just the realities of our politics if it were an ANCMP, what would DA people be saying anything about it or not would be one of the tests. The other big fact, which may I think come to be more important, is that to me still not fully explain firing of Dion George from the National Coalition from the government. He was the Environmental Affairs Minister. Removed very suddenly, it seems at the request of the DA. They're the right to do, that's the way the coalition works. They have a replacement there, Aviliokamp, and there's been a lot of commentary around it. Deon George, I haven't seen him do any interviews. I know he's given one or two quotes to various media organizations, but I haven't seen more than that. But the suggestion in Daily Maverick, and I take it incredibly seriously, obviously I have my own relationship with them, is that it seems that Deon George, as the head of finance for the DA, had to request Seohn Stephen Hasen give his DA credit card back basically the expenses couldn't be managed or whatever it was, and that would suggest then that he was mismanaging a DA credit card. Now, if it turns out, and I don't think we're at this point yet, but if it turns out that John stein Hazen took action against Deon George and the coalition because of something Deon George had done in the DA, and possibly something that was done quite rightly because Denasen couldn't manage his own money, well, then that I think is going to be a very important factor, and that might be the real story here, because that would rarely be a very interesting thing. I think it's too soon to say that at this point, but I'll be very interested in your view. Seven two seven O two one seven O two The.
Speaker 3: Money Show on seven Monday to Friday, six to eight PM.
Speaker 2: Wellcome, I'm saying today it's headline earnings per share for the six months to the end of September by over sixteen percent. It's saw a nearly eight percent rise in mobile service revenue. Fiber related revenue was up by twelve percent. Non Colle equaled. Lamini is the group chief financial officer of Telcom. Non collell equal. Good evening and thank you for your time. Your mobile business has great momentum. You increased your prepaid subscribers by nine percent. Where is that growth coming from us?
Speaker 4: Seven? And good evening to your listeners. Indeed, it's been a great six month for US as album where we have seen our performance reflecting the business generating quality innings and years, largely coming from our prepaid strategy and linking to our data lets strategy. So if you look at the prepaid part of the business, it's been driving significant growth and it's coming from us ensuring that we give good value propositions to our customers across the country and that has helped to see the growth that we are referring to today.
Speaker 2: MTN and Veroticom both reported lower revenue from prepaid customers. Are you taking questions? Are you taking customers from them.
Speaker 4: If this could run over a good twelve consecutive courses, as Stiven, indeed, where we've let the market in this regard with better performance through and through and again it's a competitive environment and the customer is always going to look to where there's value for money, and we think our value propositions have been good for our client base for us to get this outcome.
Speaker 2: Your revenue from fiber is up strongly too, and you've moved into that space is quite aggressively. Are you expecting a lot more growth there? I mean, there's still a lot of the country that doesn't have fiber to the home.
Speaker 4: There are great opportunities to continue and we've invested in fiber over a very very long time and we've got the largest footprint across the country. And for us, it's going to be how we make it available for all that requires it and that can utilize it. So we do believe there are still opportunities to monetize more fiber across the country Stiven.
Speaker 2: I mean the big space obviously would be moving into township areas and probably after that rural areas. But I would imagine there are plenty of ways to make money in that market.
Speaker 4: Yes, our strategy includes us expanding regionally and making sure that we cover as much as possible across all the provinces. But as you can understand, the current three big cities like your Durban, your western case may well be looking situated. So there is opportunity to do more in the townships and to do more in the rural areas, and our regional strategy is driving that approach so that we can see more people getting connected and deriving impact to the business.
Speaker 2: The massive Votercom deal, I think is obviously about to be approved. They will be investing strongly in that field too. Is that going to put pressure on your pricing that competition and I think it will be quite strong competition.
Speaker 4: We have been watching that space and I think from our perspective, we will continue to work to defend the market that we have. And yes, they would be implementing their own strategies to make sure that the massive deal carries forward.
Speaker 5: We will continue with our.
Speaker 4: Strategy for our own growth, with the data led strategy, and we do appreciate that students, it will continue to be a competitive environment and there could be impact from that deal, but we think we've got our own strategies to continue delivering our own growth.
Speaker 2: You have a task team that's been looking at the situation at BCX. It reported back, it's made some suggestions. Are you finally seeing some good changes there? I mean, you've given it quite a lot of attention.
Speaker 5: As lutely.
Speaker 4: So if you look at quarter on quarter reported performance on BCX, we've seen remarkable improvement from the quarter one performance to quarter two. Much as the revenue went backwards by about four point four percent, overall, we saw an improvement in margins at nine point nine percent, and really that has been driven by ensuring that they continue to look for revenue opportunities.
Speaker 2: But from the.
Speaker 4: Cost perspective, there's been a concerted effort to ensure that they deliver the revenue at the most efficient levels. Of course, so there is a lot of work we're doing in BUSX, and it's an integral part of the one Telecom strategy in terms of the client base that it has to serve. But again, if you look at bus X, I think we must also appreciate that the overall industry is going through various challenges. If you just look in general the IT industry, and we are then focusing on how to ensure that we continue to grow in the spaces that we are peraiting in.
Speaker 2: I mean, you say in that sector client so corporate, they're not investing in it at the moment. I was a bit surprised because I think for many people, your IT network has to be competitive. Why are people not investing? Are they waiting to see what happens? I mean, are they waiting to see sort of which AI model or something takes over, or they're just taking a breath before they decide what to do next.
Speaker 4: Various corporates stiven are going through the same processes we're going through in terms of cost optimization. So it's not only not investing, it's also trying to make sure they optimize their cost structures in each of the IT spend that they are driving, so that is showing impact. But you also will appreciate that there is a lot of economic impact on various corporates that is going to make them not to invest as much as they may well have done in the past or wished for. But also I think the move that we are seeing in the IT space with the AI the cloud is changing the environment quite significantly and driving very different strategies in terms of how they invest, way, the way they invest and how much they invest.
Speaker 2: Non color Eco Lemini, thank you very much, the group chief financial officer of Telcom. That's all the money show. Sixty eight pm, nineteen minutes after sexual Santon quite busy tonight B twenty formally kicking off at the same time the President Sarahramapulsa hosting CEOs at a G twenty outreach program. Local Connel and Tambo is the e WN reporter at that event. This evening Loco Kanye good evening. We can see how much interest there is in all of the business events in Santa tonight. I imagine they'll be quite a a few CEOs for the President.
Speaker 5: They pertainly are good evening to you, Stephen and Za listeners as well. The President, in fact, Stephen, even before we get to this particular event, has had quite a jam packed program today. On his diary, He's been to the opening of a mind, He's received the Africa Expert Panel reports when it comes to the issue of jet on the African continent. So he really has had quite a busy day and it seems a lot of that really is just touching base with the corporate secup and just as you rightly rightfully mentioned, we've got the CEOs in this particular room here ad in Besteg just down the road from our offices, We've got you know, the financial services sector CEOs from there, the banking sector. We have the Canny Fieka from APPS. We have Commercial Muglia from Investec. We have Pritticy Turners who who is a good friend of the show that who is a special envoid to the US. So really quite the mix as well, Steven, in terms of the different industries that are represented within the corporate sector. Who are here, They've all just come into the room. Now think the only person who're really waiting for is the man of the hour. Prisons tild them apart right like I said, because you've had such a busy day, we are expecting him to run a little late. But the minute they do let him into the room as well, that program will get underway.
Speaker 2: Do we know what he's going to be focusing on. I mean, I've been fascinated, Knako Kanya by how the President, how the government he leads, has been getting a lot closer to business. In the last few months. We see a bigger role for the private sector in providing what were previously government sectors or just kind of helping out, whether it's as more trans net or whatever. Then we've really seen before.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I had a.
Speaker 5: Conversation with some of the people in the room, Stephen, just trying to get a sense about what this Workington is going to be about and what's on the agenda, and from what I gathered, it really is just trying to drive investments. It's investments, investments, investments. How do we upscale what we already have, a lot of the people that are in the room, like I said, from the various industries, mining, manufacturing, the financial services sectum, are people that already have projects, you know, bankable projects with government.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: And really the question is how do we upscale that so it's in an inward perspective and then an outward perspective, how do we get them to invest more on the African continent and then how again do we make sure that that materializes into South Africa as well. So it really is just another push for investment. Again, even the people that are in the room of people that already have big investments, but government really wants to squeeze out a little more that we suspect they still have. So it's just those conversations about what is still possible would be a private sector as well as the public sector, you know better than the most Stephen, the conversations that we've had about PPPs, the private public partnerships, so that those conversations between governments and corporate about the project upscaling projects in electricity, so your your network industries, your electricity, your water project, you know, making sure that the banking services are efficient so that we're able to do business across the entire continent. And so those are the sort of conversations that we're hoping we will see. We will unfortunately not be a part of and privy to the entire conversation, but we will have an address by President sort Amposa, who again Stephen will give us I guess his line of thinking and where he is and what appetite, get a sense of the appetite that there is for you know, more projects between public and in private, and then of course, so they'll continue with their conversations.
Speaker 2: Knockocnyon Tumble, thank you very much. Indeed, the EWN reporter at that event at invest tonight with the CEOs and the President looking forward to your reporting as we go through the evening together. So we have the B twenty kicking off. There's the event with the President. Earlier this morning I was at the Bloomberg Africa Business Summit and the international relations mister Ronald Lamla he was there. He came out pretty strongly against the US boycott of the G twenty, he said at the event this weekend and needed to show that the rest of the world could get along without the US, and it certainly seemed to me that the turne towards the US is changing. One of the other discussions at the Bloomberg event today was about investment. One of the questions is where would you invest a million rand. It's a fascinating question if you think about it. If you had a million round to invest right now, which part of the world would you put it in? Which sector would you put it in. One of the panelists was Chantelle Marx, the head of research at F and B Wealth and Investments. I asked her she would invest a million round, Well, I think you need to take.
Speaker 8: A balanced approach, so you would want some offshore exposure, but locally there is a lot of value at the moment, I think particularly in some of the unloved sectors that are say INC specific so South African Bank, South African retailers.
Speaker 9: Maybe skip the clothing.
Speaker 10: Retailers for now, but I think keep some powdered right to invest there and then offshore. I think take the opportunity in some of these cell offs and invest in some of the thematics that.
Speaker 2: You may have missed. There's been a lot of good news around South Africa Inc. In the last week, the upgrade, getting off the grade list, all of that sort of thing. If that continues, presumably you do want to have quite a lot of exposure to South Africa averment.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so.
Speaker 10: I think that you're seeing the positive news.
Speaker 8: Reflected in bond yields that have come down rapidly, and you're seeing it reflected in the rand.
Speaker 10: You're not seeing it in South African equity prices, perhaps in some smaller pockets, but the overall essay Inc. Theme still is very under owned and expery cheap.
Speaker 2: The true letters missing from this entire conversation. The one is A and the other is I. You're not going to put your money there for the moment.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So I think that this corrective Salov that we are seeing right now will offer us opportunities over time. I wouldn't want to be an unprofitable text, so no pie in the sky for me, thank you very much. But I think that there will be opportunities perhaps on the periphery as well. Companies that are difficult to displace. I'll look for something a little bit more diversified. I think in the mag seven something like Microsoft and Amazon and Alphabet stands out for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit skeptical that the chips, for.
Speaker 8: Example, that we're using today are the stuff that we're going to be using in forty years time.
Speaker 2: Chantel Marks there the head of research to different be Wealth and Investments are speaking to her at the Bloomberg Africa business sum at all more accurately in the doorway, I'll be Bloomberg Africa business side, no money show. Twenty five minutes after six of the time, Ryan Hill has head of Fundamental all Sales at ABS to CIB Ryan, good evening to you. Let's start with Telcommon. Certainly it seemed to me to be quite a strong update.
Speaker 11: Yeah, thanks Eving Stephen. Indeed, market quite like those numbers. Stock ended up about two percent. I think operating profit tracking quite whid ahead of consensus, and it's likely that we might even see some earnings upgrades come through from the consensus for FY twenty six. In fact, I think the other big positive was the fact that their mobile growth was much higher than the market was expecting. In fact, it appears to have been underpinned by what looked like double digit data revenue growth, which was quite quid ahead of their peer group as well. So yeah, market quite happy about those numbers.
Speaker 2: And it seems particularly with mobile, with mobile revenue, it seems to be very consistent in the prepaid space. They've been building on this for quite a long time.
Speaker 11: I know, surprisingly so, right, especially in the context of the other operators that appeared to have slowed down quite meaningfully. So it might be that there's some base effect involved, but they could also just be perhaps consumers are attracted by some of the offers on the display out there at the.
Speaker 2: Moment, a big as a sale by the Acerman family of picking pay shares overnight, obviously that having an impact on the share price. But they're sort of pairing down their holding, I mean, in terms of control, they're downe to I think thirty seven percent now.
Speaker 11: Yeah, But again I think the market's actually going to take this in quite a positive way over time, simply because you've got enhanced liquidity available in the stock now. They're still quite a decent turnaround story on the go as well, of course, and they'll be benefiting from some of the distribution deals that they've entered into recent Dealser admittedly, we probably have to wait through until about twenty twenty seven to really see some of those benefits come through. The stock did close down, as you say, about six percent, but interestingly that's actually off the loads of the day, and I do think that again investors were taking advantage of some of the proof liquidity and the fact that the business is still training at a negative number actually when you're adjust for their holdings in boxes. So presumably we'll see some upside from here. And forty six percent was actually basically expected drive and basically fell to the bootball price of the family established yesterday.
Speaker 2: I'd be another tough day for them. They really have been through the walls in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 11: I know it does seem as though it's struggling to sort of get a proper pale wing going.
Speaker 2: We looked around a bit.
Speaker 11: It seems as though it was pretty much in line with some of its European paper piers. There seems to be some sort of price pressure coming through in coded grades of graphic paper in Europe. You might have called it that market's historically been a bit weak, particularly of course with the transition to digital these days. I think it's a market that continues to suffer with a bit of downside risk. And of course there's also the Chinese which continue to build capacity in that space, and if their imports coming to Europe, we might see some further head wings there. But yeah, done, I think as much as seven percent on the day.
Speaker 2: And then platinum stocks also all down on the day, and I realized the platinum price has been a little low for the last week or so. I couldn't quite understand why, as so many shares were down.
Speaker 11: Yeah, frankly, Stephen, I think that's probably a case of some profit taking. I mean, these stocks have rallied very, very hard during twenty twenty five. In fact, on a recent Roadchhow was speaking with investors about what I've coined the so called Precious nine that now basically make up between twenty five and thirty percent of the index. So it's probably a healthy thing as we come into the end of the year for fund managers to take some profits off the table, and I think that's probably one of the reasons why we've got this assistant selling coming through in the gold and the PGM stocks for that matter.
Speaker 2: At the moment, Ryan Neill, thanks very much. Indeed head a fundamental sales at Abscess cib in a moment more on the cloud play outed the provider that caused so much drama on the Internet today simply because their services failed and that around twenty percent of worldwide web traffic wasn't able to work. Astonishing that this can still happen here with the money show's just gone sixth it.
Speaker 12: What's up Stephen on seven two seven oh two one seven oh two, Well, obviously very interesting questions about at what point is a politician's personal business and particularly their finances personal, and what point is it not?
Speaker 2: I know, it's the conversation that we'll have for a while and it'll go away and it'll come back, and I'm sure we'll have it again on that sort of point. Though, I noticed that Melusa ge Gaba currently an MP for the ANC. I think he's a member of the National Executive Committee. He's also the chair or co chair of the Standing Committee on Defense. He was finally formally charged there I think the Palm Ridge Magistrates Court, joining some other people. Brian Malefe was one of them at Sibanga Gama was another related to the locomotives tender at trans Net and there's still so many issues that come out of that. But finally he's facing criminal charges. I know he denies wrongdoing and a noise has done, including at the Zondo Commission they were findings against him. The reason I bring it up is quite a few things will happen now. The one is I think he'll have to step back down from his and some of his positions. I don't know what will happen to his status as an MP. He might well have to step down from his position as the on the NEC of the A and Z and I think that's going to be quite interesting. But Salyer, you do get a sense that more and more cases are being enrolled by the NPA. I know there's a lot going on in the NPA at the moment, and so more and more we are seeing. Hopefully people being told that they do need to be held accountable, need to answer questions about what happened seven o two with email.
Speaker 12: Him on Stephen at seven o two dot co dot z.
Speaker 2: According to seven I don't know if you're going to dream of hitting the refresh button on your browserlike I think I am tonight simply because you can't get to the news site whatever it is that you are trying to get to, most of it because of something that happened with cloud Flare, which is a service that provides services to websites. Some of the big sites were down. I know Deli, Maverick was x was unavailable in some places. Chat GPT was unavailable in other places. That depend sort of on where you are. As always, when this happens, we learned quite a lot about how the interweb actually works. Duncan Mcloud's founder and editor at tech Central dots Saday Duncan. Good evening a cloud Flare. I mean it's a big company. I think they managed twenty percent of global web traffic. I mean, how could they let this happen.
Speaker 6: It's a very good question, Stephen, because this is the company that many websites turned to to provide stability. They market themselves as a cloud infrastructure company that really helps stabilize Internet services. So do you think we're not supposed to happen? And this incident is a big one, and it's been going on for several hours, hasn't been fully resolved yet. To know, most of the websites have real impacted got back online. They're still saying that they are experiencing issues that they're dealing with. They haven't disclosed what caused this problem yet. I think a lot of people interested in nothing what happened. They have said though, that they saw a spike in traffic to one of their cloud data centers or to one of their servers. I'm not sure exact detail from which might point to some sort of nefarious activity, but that's just speculation on my part. We should have a full incident report, hopefully by tomorrow, and hopefully we'll get a better view on whether this was an internal employee pressing the wrong button in deploying some software into the cloud play infrastructure, or whether there was something more nefarious nefarious at play here. And we know that increasingly governments are playing in the space, and you know, the concern is that there could be a nation state active around this sort of thing. But that's all speculation of the stage. We should have a clearer picture about tomorrow exactly what happened would.
Speaker 2: Cause this incidet If you don't use cloud flare, are there many competitors? What I'm looking at, duncan And that's quite a strange question is how concentrated is this industry if we have one or two big providers that don't work properly, you know, I mean, does does does everything start to fall apart of it? Because this industry has been going for quite a long time. It's the kind of thing that can get concentrated exactly.
Speaker 6: And I think there are concerns that as we saw recently, I think earlier this year or late last year with the crowd strike incident that led to the blue screen of death appearing on millions of Windows computers around the world. That and and that was an employee prety hitting the wrong button. You know, there's there's there's real questions that need to be asked about whether we are centralizing our.
Speaker 2: I T infrastructure too much.
Speaker 6: You know, Big tech is involved in putting up all these AI data centers at the moment. You know, everyone is moving to cloud computing, big corporate South Africa and moving a lot of their on premise of servers into the cloud. And you know, the term digital migration has become popular. It really refers to how companies are deploying infrastructure in the cloud. But these are centralized data centers, and things can go wrong. And when they do go wrong, and when they are heavily centralized like this, the results can be quite catastrophic.
Speaker 2: I mean, the irony is unbelievable. The whole point of the Internet, according to the original designers. I don't really want to remember that it was darker from the US Department of Defense, But the whole point of it was that it was going to be decentralized.
Speaker 6: Yes, it resupposed to. It was built to withstand a nuclear war. Yet here is one service provider bringing down twenty percent of the Internet all on its own. One has to wonder whether this is all getting too centralized.
Speaker 2: Do the owners of sites have recourse? I imagine it depends on your contract with your particular content. There might be different levels of contract. You might pay more and have more recourse, all sorts of things like that. So it could be a very case specific.
Speaker 6: Could be I haven't looked at cant terms and conditions that I'm sure it's written in there that if there is an incident that they can't be unliable. Certainly, I think for most websites there it will be no recourse. Maybe if you're a very very large customer that plays them a huge amount of money, maybe that some recourse. Maybe your terms and conditions with them are different to to most people. But generally speaking, though, I don't think there'll be any recourse.
Speaker 2: I don't know if anyone's been tracking this. I'm sure somewhere there is the ultimate kind of nerdish but wonderful website that tracks it to see how often sites are going down compared to how when they go in the past. If there were higher levels of concentration, it may happen less often, but each time it happens it affects more sites.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm sure someone is trying somewhere. I haven't seen the day to myself, but it'd be interesting to see it for sure. I don't know the answer to that question.
Speaker 2: Duncan McLoud really appreciate the time. Thank you, Founder and editor at tech Central dot dot Z day, so many interesting questions that come out of all of this, and I imagine it will be quite a tough day at cloud Flay.
Speaker 13: The money shore with Cleveland Cruts. He is brought to you by absas cib taps as are ready at FSB.
Speaker 2: Seven minutes now to seven the time well, the B twenty starting tonight, the G twenty itself on Saturday. We've got the tariffs imposed by the Trump administration. Geopolitics suddenly becoming well more and more important to anyone running a business. Professor David Bach is the president of the IMD Business School. They've got a big innovation cub in Cape Town is also Nesday Professor of Strategy and Political Economy. David, good evening, Thanks for your time. I know it's a busy trip. The geopolitical picture's got so complicated so quick quickly. How much harder is it now for a CEO to try and navigate all of this?
Speaker 14: Much harder for sure. Keep in mind that a lot of CEOs, certainly in the West, have developed most of their careers in the world in which globalization was a one way street and markets seemed to be coming closer and closer together, and cost of capital was going down and you could rely on allies. And it's a very different world from the one that they're finding themselves in now.
Speaker 2: Could leaders' CEOs from Africa actually because of that, be in a better place? I mean, so many of our CEOs come from so many diverse backgrounds. Many of them would be running businesses that have had to overcome huge obstacles to keep going. They also, particularly in Southern Africa, deal with really diverse workforces. They're used to leading people from very different parts of a society.
Speaker 14: I absolutely think so. Look, I think leaders on the continent understand that it's very difficult to separate business and politics, that business always has a social role in addition to an economic one. They're used to uncertainty. They are familiar with institutions that are perhaps weak or less predictable, and so I do think that they have developed some skills or their careers that could serve them well in this current environment.
Speaker 2: I mean, you would wonder actually if this is going to be quite a tough time for waste in business just from a leadership perspective.
Speaker 14: Oh, absolutely, We're seeing them struggling with the idea that suddenly it's no longer about maximizing efficiency, but it's about resilience and ensuring you can continue to serve your customers no matter what the world throws at you. Obviously, leaders are adapting, companies are developing those capabilities, but it takes some time. Until recently, we're still at a point where people thought, well, we're about to go back to the world as.
Speaker 11: We knew it.
Speaker 14: You know, the pandemic is behind us. But I think now leaders are realizing, particularly the second Trump administration, ongoing conflicts, the escalation between the US and China, we're just not going to go back to the world that they remember from say twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: You're investing quite heavily in Africa, Yeah, particularly in Cape John, Why are you putting money here at this particular moment. I mean, are you seeing a lot of potential for growth? Absolutely?
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 14: We have now about ten percent of our staff based in Cape Town. They are technologists, web developers. They support us with many of our online programs. We're just really really excited about the talent, not just the technical skills, but also the entrepreneurial mindset. Some of the things that you and I just spoke about in terms of resilience and adaptability. You know, folks who are mission focused, they're in the same time zone English native speakers. It's a really, really great group of people to work with and they've been helping us expand our pack globally. And of course we're working with a number of African enterprises. So we're really bullish about the continent, the talent here and the prospects.
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously some things still need to change to make it easier for you and colleagues to invest. We've been talking about a sort of week of good news in South Africa. We had a ratings upgrade from S and P Global and things like that. But I would imagine you would probably join me in saying, still quite a lot for government to do.
Speaker 14: Oh, there's no question. And you know we're a very small enterprise and we don't do manufacturing. These colleagues are helping us with digital products and services. But the opportunity is there. Africa is absolutely pivotal. It's youthful population, it's resources, the opportunities for expanding trade within Africa and this current context. But for that, government, business and civil society must work together.
Speaker 9: I think you're right.
Speaker 14: There's some hopeful science, but there's so much work to be done, and there's no question.
Speaker 2: Everyone's been talking about AI for the last kind of eighteen months now, though obviously if you look at prices in the US stock prices, there seems to be a little bit of a pullback early days. To say that, it seems for the most part, all this does is make business decisions a lot more complicated because you don't really know how things are going to change. And if I were leading an enterprise that was even at all exposed to this, I'll probably be wanting to dip my toes in, but I don't know how much further I would go because I just don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think you really have to differentiate between the companies pouring literally tens of billions into building data centers. You know, those are some really risky bets at this point, and you're seeing the correction in the market. But differentiate between that and all of the users of AI systems, and those are well advised to experiment, to build capabilities to upscale their workforce because we don't know which large language model is going to win, or which set of models are going to win, and who's ultimately going to have the best technology. But what we do know is that AI is here to stay and it's going to change the way businesses operate. And so at the very least, to make sure that you learn and your team learns, and you get to experiment and innovate.
Speaker 2: You know, you've got to be part of it. The syllabi that you run at IMD Business School, have they changed a lot of the last ten years? Do you think the next ten years Actually, a student studying in ten year's time at IMD won't recognize the syllabus from today. Yeah, I do think so.
Speaker 14: I mean, there are a couple of things that are certainly constant. We put a lot of emphasis on leadership, on response toble leadership, the importance of knowing yourself as a precondition for being able to lead others. That has not changed. We continue to emphasize, as we did ten years ago and will be ten years from now, that business operates in the social and political context. But certainly, if you looked at our syllabus ten years ago, I think the conversation about sustainability was very much one about corporate social responsibility, and now it's about how do we future prove our enterprises in the context of planetary boundaries. Ten years ago, when it came to technology, they were very much sort of an earlier generation of digital technologies, and our syllabus now emphasizes AI a lot more, which opens up entirely new possibilities. Certainly, ten years ago we didn't scrutinize globalization.
Speaker 2: We sort of took it for granted.
Speaker 14: And now we emphasize a lot more geopolitical volatility. And so i'd expected ten years from now, certainly when it comes to sustainability, to technology, to politics, our syllabus will have evolved. But when it comes to the enduring qualities of leadership and good management, I would think that you would still recognize some of what we're doing right now.
Speaker 2: For visit David Bach, thanks so much for present m D Business School at seven o'clock.
Speaker 1: And now The Money Show with Stephen Credit on seven oh two. Let's walk little.
Speaker 2: The Money Show with Stephen Curtis is brought to you by Abscess CIB. It's a registered fspeed nine minutes after seven. Good evening, plenty to come in the next little while. We'll speak to Quinela and Goguela, a senior Inequality analyst about the situation, relating that she had just share I should say Wilworth's I think finally people have found something at Wilworth that's too expensive to buy. Unfortunately it's the executive, says remuneration, and some shareholders rejecting a remuneration package and executive pay. So just interesting to look at that. And I'm always fascinated by shareholder activism. What does it take to get shareholders to do something? It can take quite a bit, actually, I sometimes feel we could do with a bit more activism, but maybe that's just me. Dr Tinder and Ding Wee. We'll hear from him Africa Focus in a moment and then also looking forward to speaking to Warren Ingram this evening talking about sports betting tonight in personal finance. Good to hear from you seven to seven oh two one seven oh two.
Speaker 3: The LNY Show with Stephen Krudis live on ninety two point seven and one six FM, streaming on the Prime Media Plus NAP.
Speaker 1: And DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 2: Well, we've had a lot of good news over the last few days. There was a positive medium to and budget policy statement. The rating is upgrade. All of it and if you speak to people in the kind of top one percent of the economy, they're all feeling quite cheaper. But of a dose of cold water this morning, though, from the SAKI survey the South African Chamber of Comments and Industry, speaking to actual business owners, what's going on in your world? Effectively, nearly half of them think trading conditions are going to get worse. Others still feeling very very in a very very tough position. I just thought that was important, an important dose of cold water. So while I'm as optimistic as the next one, I do just remind had to remind myself. And I suppose you might already know this better than I do. How what's happening at the top one percent means nothing to the actual real economy. What's actually happening to people in the rest of the economy. There is so much to look at. And yes there's good news. Yes, their ratings upgrade will be good news for all of us in the longer run. Yoah, that longer run can feel like a very long sometimes. Yeah, I do think there's still so much more work to be done in our economy. Eleven after seven.
Speaker 12: Is on the Money Shows six to eight PM.
Speaker 2: Well, again we see shareholders pushing back over executive pay. This time at Wilworth, thirty seven percent of those who could vote in their AGM said no to the executive pay policy. Quinela and Googuela is a senior inequality analyst at just share Quinela, Good evening and thanks for your time. I mean, how often does this kind of thing happen? How often are we saying seeing seeing shareholders just saying no to something.
Speaker 7: Good evening and thank you very much for having us out of the first question. Are currently This is a trend that we have been observing, particularly at the listed entities. We usually track the top forty so over the years, we have been seeing our shareholders pushing back, voting against a boat the remuneration reports, muneration policies. I should say that not hitting that acquisite threshold of seventy five percent, which require such resolutions to pass, it helped been a trend and it has been ongoing.
Speaker 2: Is it usually executive pay? I mean that's the issue that gets to the headlines, But are there other things that that people rebel against? We saw I think it was was a bollo well, but we've seen one or two others that don't always executive pay.
Speaker 7: No, it depends on case by cases, but the executive pay remains like the key issue from it. Put it that way, I doways. Remember these votes often focused directly to the remuneration police and it is implementation and the large or maperial portion of such policies and their implementation relates to the executive pay. But also in this instance one can say the investors or shareholders might be also registering that distends with the remuneration governance of the company. But increasingly our stan there's an issue of pay fairness, uh and accountability, you know. So what we are actually seeing from our side, we think this revolved general revolves, this revolse reflect a broader freend which sholders with their non binding votes because remember currently there are votes are just advisory their main non binding. But I think they're exercising their votes to encourage discipline, particularly on how the boss managed executively, which is a key issue of alloded before.
Speaker 2: When shareholders do this, I mean I understand that the board had sort of tried to engage with shareholders beforehand. Is it usually kind of organized, I mean a shareholders organizing themselves, should they be a bit more organized perhaps.
Speaker 9: I think so.
Speaker 7: Then there's me no transparents on how these engagements takes place, because in some instances they will say that they will engage the shareholders if, who, when and how. Would never get that because there's like a great area on remuneration governance on that because all we know, or at least for the last few years, remuneration governance was governed at least by the King four. Now we know we're having the King five, the one that has been recent little introduced. Now it just says if you do not hit that's seventy five percent vote for the remuneration report or the implementation report, you must engage. If you engage how when, where in the room, or you just tell shareholders to write, which is the case now shoholders mast right, you know, so one you wouldn't really gage whether or not showholders are fellow organizing themselves, particularly big institutional investors. However, from us as activists shareholders, we have been trying to ring the bell part usually on issues relating to pay fairness, where we've been saying that at least asset managers asset owners should rather hold boards of these companies accountable for the excessive executive pay. When you are comparing itself with the salaries of those workers that are at the bottom of the pay scale, what you would find out is that these gaps are stuck and sometimes in most cases these from the generation pains. I'm not linked at all to company performance.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't that the thing? I mean, if a company is very successful and I could give you examples if I needed to, you know, no one, no one says I'm unhappy with what the capitac CEO is getting, what the shop right CEO is getting. It's when a company is not performing what is doing okay? But but I mean, clearly shale does feeling could be doing better.
Speaker 7: No, certainly it's not during that well seven to be honest, because the financial metrics, the only performance metric that they did well is the one relating to return on capital employees. When are also looking at other targets relating to our esg. Non financial performance measures such as like driving transformation, that they didn't do well on that idea. So these were the targets are said or twenty twenty two and other financial metrics relating to retents, the ability they are not they didn't do so well. And just to remind the viewers at home that even the currency of remuneration seven results from the vestume of the what they say is the final final trench of the sign on share A location. So it has nothing to do with performance of the company currently. Remember this share A sign on But I put it that way, it's a months close to forty million of the current remuneration of the CEO that was not linked lint naow on the current performance are metrics, but it is quite concerning, hence the pushbacks.
Speaker 2: Grenea, thank you so much. Cornelia and Gugela is the senior inequality analyst at just Share. Eighteen minutes after seven, Rotindo and Dinguie is next.
Speaker 1: Your Many show African business focus.
Speaker 2: Doctor Rotendo and Dingwe is the founding director of Tribe Africa Advisory author of the book Rumble in the Jungle Reloaded Houses. Rotendo, Steve don't got signing a deal with Zimbabwe. It's a two thousand kilometer pipeline from the Maybia. I mean there's so much potential here.
Speaker 15: Yeah, ve interes a lout of all countries Zimbabwe, but we've seen that. Look, Dan got the billionaire of one of the big billionaires of Africa has been made in key in Vespone, Namibia, Ethiopia, Ghana, and now he's focused on Zimbabwe. He was there that last week and invested in a one billion US dollar project. This is a pipeline of two thousand kilometers from Wilverspay and it's also related to infrastructure that will produce fertilizer, energy and cement. Zimbabwe itself has also been in the headlines for positive things well, I mean a few months ago, steven it was rated one of the top tourist destinations by Forbes. So it's definitely doing a lot of positive things. The question with Zimbabwe is obviously keeping the sustainability of it. But from a Dangoti perspective, a huge one billion dollar investment and that would just translate into infrastructure and production of fertilizer and obviously deal with the shortage of fuel and production of the continent. So a good story to have at this point in time for both Zimbabwe and Dungotti.
Speaker 2: I wonder how relatively speaking easier it is to build because that part of Namibia is sort of mostly a desert I presume it is, which may make it easier to protect too because the very few people there.
Speaker 15: The very few people there. But Ambi has also been standing up with regards to infrastructure, both presidents, especially when it comes to commodity related infrastructure. Stephen, There's been a lot of positive investments in that dieration. So I think they've got the capabilities and the I think the pipeline will terminate in Bloio. We're not Arara, which is the second biggest city in Zimbabwe. But still the positive story, this is fascinating. Ghana wants to scrap attacks on minerals exploration. They said that'll boost investments. I mean we talk about beneficiation, taxes, we talk about all sorts of things. Yeah, Ghana has gone in a completely different direction, a completely different direction. I mean Ghana one of the big gold producers on the continent. Stephen. This levey goes back twenty five years, so they want it's vat they want to scrap that off. And just to give you some stats, Stephen, just in terms of why they're trying to do this, not just to incentivize the local big corporates, but even the small scale players. In the last ten months, Stephen eight point one billion US dollars produced by small scale exporters of gold compared to corporates who only produced six point six billion. That's in the last ten months. Illegal gold smart gold smuggling steven in the last five years has reached to eleven billion US dollars, So there's a lot of money out there, and the leadership of Ghana is saying similar to Pekina Faso Ivory Coast in Kenya, they're saying, let's help in terms of creating incentive for guys to do it right and boost production. So it's a bold step but hopefully to produce a production in the right direction.
Speaker 2: It is a Tuesday, so I don't know if it's been really to talk about Guinness, but toleranm selling more more Guinness in all then Nigeria.
Speaker 15: Tolerm a Singapore multinational and it's owned, it has the right for the Guineas Nigeria's distribution. It's partnered. Obviously, Guiness is owned by Diagio and they have sold I think Toleram has taken over about fifty eight percent of the ownership of the local entity. So it's a big investment for them and they're focusing in the northern regions of Nigeria.
Speaker 2: DIAS is pulling out.
Speaker 15: Because they're saying, look, the devaluation of the naira, which was about seventy percent in the last year, is too significant for them to continue investing in there. So tolers Is picked it up. And it's always interesting, Stephen to see how you know, one men's meet is another men's poison in terms of multinational investment of the continent. But as it may be, the other players in the market, Haneyquin is still there, AB and BEV, but Tolerance is stepping up and investing significantly seeing guiness production, so not too early for those that prefer that alcoholic drink this time of the night.
Speaker 2: We talk about fintech all the time, all the time. In Malawi. It's growing, but there's also a question about whether it's actually a bit of an illusion.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so Malawi a small country as we know, but they've seen a record number of mobiles money subscriptions of twenty million. But I think this is a reality check and Stephen, you're right, there's a lot of hype and discussions around fintech and obviously it's a significant play in terms of where the continent is going espeliciitly from an inclusivity perspective, a fourteen percent increase in the single quarter with regards to people using fintech and people registrying, but they've also seen a decline in terms of utilization. So although registration has gone up, there's actually a decline in terms of usage, and this is probably related to people registring, but affordability as well as erratic concerns around a number of components. But the key thing is utilization. It's one thing to register, but you need money and product and transactions to happen. So it's a reality check as well, and I think that's the key thing just to reflect on with the growth of fintank on the continent.
Speaker 2: And then this is about borders and ambiguity. So Western Sahara so Ahari Republic very contested issue with Morocco. What happened in Morocco with Google Maps.
Speaker 15: So it's an interesting thing. I mean, we will use Google as to help us in terms of map and geographies, but in this case Morocco Western Sahara, as you know, was was previously a Spanish colony and there's for over for a number of years now going decades there's always a dispute between Morocco and Algeria with regards to who owns what is supporting that. But cut along story short, Stephen. When you're in Morocco and you look at the region of Western Sarah and Morocco, because they share border, Western Sahara is part of Morocco. Again, when you are in Western Sahara, then it's not part of Morocco. So it creates a very confusing dynamic with regards to the bigger picture.
Speaker 2: It's a bit like being in the northern States of the United States and it says Canada's the fifty first States or something.
Speaker 15: So that exactly that's it. So it creates a bit of a dilemma and a political conflict. And Google said, guys, that's always been the case, and obviously America is wided now and supporting Morocco, et cetera, et cetera. But it's a funny thing where by Google as a technology company has obviously said, god, we've adjusted the political dynamics from a software perspective, but it's sort what's happened in the ground. So it's a bit of controversy as well, but an interesting story to follow and you're looking at Google Maps the next time you're driving up into the mor western Sida region.
Speaker 2: Rotendo, thanks so much, really appreciate it, Doctor Ortendo. And dingwe the founding director of Tribe Africa Advisory show.
Speaker 9: Personal Finance with Warren Ingram.
Speaker 2: Warren Ingram as you know as a certified financial planner at Galileo Capital, and tonight we are talking about sports betting and Warren's sort of headline to it is that sports betting is not investing. It's a tax on hope. As always good to hear from you tonight, O double one double A three seven two two one four four six O five six seven and voice notes might be easier seven two seven oh two one seven oh two Warren, good evening, sports betting is not investing. It is a tax on hope. Very interesting statement to start.
Speaker 16: It's it's one of those things when we talk about sports betting that I think is quite polarizing, you know, and I guess it's always our job to be balanced. I don't think it's a case of saying to people, well, don't do this, it's terrible for you.
Speaker 9: You know, it's always bad.
Speaker 16: It's a case of saying, like like any entertainment where it costs money, and that that's what it is to me. It's entertainment. You know, it should be treated carefully and it should be understood. And if you're going to use your money, use it with knowledge and understanding. And if you understand that it's entertainment, then my hopefully my statement makes a little bit more sense. It's it's it's not investing. This isn't a way that you're going to get yourself out of financial trouble. You should treat this in exactly the same way as you would treat going to have a coffee or anything else. It's it might give you some enjoyment for a period of time, but after that the money's gone and and you carry on with your day. If you're using this as a way of kind of deploying money in, you know, in the anticipation that you're going to get yourself out of trouble, which is I think what does happen from time to time, then then it is a tax on hope. You know, you cannot hope that you get yourself out of financial trouble with a bet. It's that's not how the entire industry works, and it would be the same with gambling. You're not there to make money every single time, Otherwise there wouldn't be a sports betting industry.
Speaker 2: Okay. Part of this is about the idea that I know what is going to happen, so I know the spring Box are playing on Saturday, and I know there'll be another red card. Okay, that kind of feeling. Just use that example as a easily example. There's a kind of a feeling of control. I mean, is that part of this?
Speaker 15: It is?
Speaker 9: And I'm one of those.
Speaker 16: It seems like very rare people that doesn't appreciate the sport of soccer. But my office is full of Man United fans, can you believe it? And some of them have been fans since they were five or six years old and they are now forty, and they would argue that they are Man United experts and they know Man United better than anybody else in the world. I might be exaggerating a little bit, but if I ask them before the weekends games, who's going to win, it's almost inevitable that it's Man United, and they'll give me some fantastic reasons why. And if that was true, that they were that their team was going to win, every single time they played. Then Man United would be an unbeaten team for the last you know, thirty years, and history tells you that's simply not true. So what we realize is that fans, people who you know, are committed to a sport or a team, they believe they have a special edge because they have been watching their team, you know, glued as fans for years and years and years, and and so they know better than anybody else what their team's going to do and and and somehow, surprisingly it lands on the side of positive in most instances. And so they try and that faith and they are say, hope, into sports betting. They they willing to bet money on their team because they have insight. They feel they know better than everybody else what's going to happen, so that that isn't to be an absolute illusion of control. Somehow, I've got I've got more knowledge than than you, and I've got more knowledge than the other people who are betting, you know, and often they're supporting another team.
Speaker 9: And I'm going to make money out of this because I'm an expert.
Speaker 2: So the people who are doing the betting, you're Manchester United fan or arguably or kus of chiefs fan and have the same problem. They they are betting with their heart. What are the book makers doing?
Speaker 16: Yeah, and and so I think that's you know, that's maybe where where we need to have perspective when you're when you're putting money somewhere and and you know this is the money show, so and understand what you do with your money. And you know, if you're investing, you know, the job is to explain to you what you're doing with your money, whether you buying a share or unit trust. In this instance, when you're committing money to a bet, you're given odds. So someone's saying to you, if you put down, just for argument's sake, one hundred and fifty rand on a team winning, then I will pay you out your one hundred and fifty rand plus one hundred Ruand just as an example, Now, they're not giving you those odds in the hope that they're going to lose money. They're giving you those odds and the hope that they're going to make money. And the way that they calculate those odds is rather sophisticated. They're not just fans. These are companies that employ you know, very sophisticated algorithms built by data science mathematicians. They research their market incredibly deeply that they will research things that you and I can't even conceive that would relate to a sport. You know, forget about just the weather, but all the other conditions in the world that possibly could impact the outcome of a game. They will be studying and feeding that into their algorithms to give them the chances of a team coming up with a result, whether it's a win, a draw, whatever, whatever the deal is. On the other hand, what we've got is our belief that in our skill set and maybe our friendship circle or whatever we've read on social media, and then we place our bet. Now, in most instances, the odds are going to favor the person giving you the odds, in other words, the data scientists and the mathematicians, and so you are relying on luck to win and to make money out of that. If if that's if that's true, then then you need to be very careful about how you're going to place those bets and do you understand these odds correctly? And I think that's where where a lot of this can go wrong for people. If you you know, if if you're betting against the you know, a very sophisticated business. They're not they're not heating you. They've given you the odds that everything you need to know about the deal is known before the time. What you should be very honest and humble enough to say is that the likelihood is that they're going to win if I put this money down. They are not giving me these odds because they think I'm going to win, and I think a lot of people make that mistake and they still hope they're going to win.
Speaker 2: Okay, but at times I can hear the argument at times I do win, and doesn't that mean that I know what I'm doing?
Speaker 16: It does, But now we need to get back to behavioral science, to a little bit of psychology. So what happens, and it happens with investing as well, when people choose individual shares, or they choose cryptos, or they choose currency markets or derivatives or anything where prices can move very quickly, when they make an investment decision or bet, and in this instance we're talking about betting, and their bet lands correctly as they thought it would, then they will give you a very good reason as to why they're won. You know, and if it's me and I say I think the spring Box are going to Thrash Ireland on Saturday, and here all the reasons, and if I'm lucky enough that that's exactly what happens, I will be the Sunday Morning Hero and I'll give you all the reasons as to why that that worked out that way. However, if I make the same prediction and our bet money and things go wrong, we get two red cards and the weather is terrible and something happens and someone gets injured, then I would put that down to bad luck.
Speaker 9: It won't.
Speaker 16: It won't be because I made a mistake. And that's that psychology. It's not that you know, suddenly I'm crazy. That's simple psychology. We remember our bets with fondness, and we tend to forget our bets where we were wrong, and we start to blame that on other factors. It couldn't possibly be us. And and over time, you know, if we bet consistently, you know, week after week, over six or seven match series and we're right twice, we'll remember those wins and we'll forget the losses. You know, a year fo now, we'll only remember the winds and if we're betting consistently, that's pretty dangerous because now we start to believe in our skill and not the element of luck.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I mean, and this isn't this The problem is that you remember the winds And that's really strong psychological. I mean, it's like strong psychologically. It's like when people remember being young and they hear music from when they were young and they think the world was better In South Africa, the world was not better, and yet people rarely believe it because of where they were at the time they were young. It's the same kind of thing. You remember that rush of victory and you you don't really remember anything else.
Speaker 9: Exactly.
Speaker 16: And so we you know, my favorite phrase to people who are who were lucky enough to choose a share that did incredibly well is don't confuse luck and skill. And so when when you're betting, you are absolutely riding on the element of luck. And and so when you are lucky enough to win, you need to make sure that you win with humility and understand that you were lucky and that you don't have, you know, some special insight that that now makes you way better than tens of thousands of other you know, people and data scientists and you know, very sophisticated computers and algorithms, et cetera.
Speaker 9: You were lucky.
Speaker 16: And and that's okay, I'm not a critique. It's just that you need to remind yourself that you are doing something for entertainment, and that's not that you have a special skill. There might be the very few people who are you know, mathematical geniuses and can work out odds to the thousandth percent of a fraction of a percent and figure out that sometimes the odds are wrong, and that might happen in very rare instances.
Speaker 9: But for the very vast majority of us.
Speaker 16: Even those that studied maths at school and university, we're always going to be lucky when we win, and we need to know that, especially when when we then start to accumulate those losses.
Speaker 2: Okay, there are also I suppose in every in everything, but particularly and there's some real costs. And it's not just about the money that you lose.
Speaker 16: Yeah, and I've noticed, you know, in the kind of broader media world now, you know, kind of commentary around around sports betting and what's being done with money, and and so I mean, the job here is for people to understand what is it costing you? If you're listening to this and you are one of those people that says, out of mind, I'm happy to put in five hundred random month, you know, and it's just a little flatter and it's a bit of fun.
Speaker 9: You know, if if you're in a strong.
Speaker 16: Financial position and five and random month is not making your credit card debt worse and help you know, getting the big personal loans and overdrafts, et cetera, then good for you.
Speaker 9: Carry on.
Speaker 16: And the context of that is it's money that you're prepared to spare on a coffee, and you're not doing it on a coffee. You're now doing it on sports betting. But if you are in financial trouble and you've got debts compounding against you workout that five hundred random month is actually getting you to six thousand round a year, And that six thousand round a year, what could you have done with it? Could that have got you out of the debt hole that you're in at the moment? And you know, I think a lot of the time I call it the small bet trap. So you know, I'm just going to take a quick flatter. I noticed the other day on my phone, Steven that now in my banking app, I can take a flatter on sports betting sites with small amounts of money. Now, you know, do fifty round here and there. And you know if you do that every week, suddenly fifty bucks, which doesn't feel like a lot on its own, is two thousand, six hundred rand a year, but five hundred ruand a week gets you to twenty six thousand round a year.
Speaker 9: That becomes really meaningful money.
Speaker 16: And we break it up into those small amounts to make it seem palatable, to make it team you know that it's not such a big deal. And and for people in this space, that's the point. Are you in a in a trap of betting here where where you're fooling yourself? You know, an element of self delusion thinking that it's not such an expensive thing for me to do. Because that's the number you need to work out, is what is this over a year?
Speaker 2: Warren Ingram is the co founder of Galileo Capital. We're talking about sports betting versus investing, and a question that's come through from Luke for you, Warren, my daughter was starting university next year. We didn't save enough in an education policy. Should we take out a student loan or should I borrow against my house because the interest rate is lower. We'll have an answer for you from Warren in a moment ten minutes.
Speaker 13: State The Money Show was Themencruts is brought to you by APPS a cib APPS as a registered FSP.
Speaker 9: The Money Show Personal Finance with Warren Ingram, Warren.
Speaker 2: Ingram's co founder at Galileo Capital. Eight minutes to seven. Luke's question, Warren, my daughter's starting varsity next year. We don't have an education policy. Should we take out a student loan or should borrow against my house because the interest rate is lower? And student loans normally have quite a low interest rate, but we all know we're unusually your cheapest finances in your bond.
Speaker 16: I like the idea of using a student loan if you're as a parent, are saying I want my child to in this instance Luke's daughter. If Luke wants his daughter to have some responsibility, shared responsibility for her university education and uh and and you know, feel that responsibility, then a student loan becomes quite a good way to help them learn the world of finance, but with with some training wheels. Because when we've got a student loan, you know that the student will sign the loan, but that that loan doesn't get given without the parent signing surety. And and that means that the parent is going to be on the hook for that money if if, if, if the student doesn't repay that money when it's due. Uh And and sometimes these student loans do offer a bit of a lower interest rate and and often they're a little bit more generous around when you when you start repaying the loan, you know, it might be that you only need you to pay the loan after your your your varsities that are finished, your studies are finished, and you've started working. And so if if you as a parent want or maybe financially you need your your your child to take some responsibility for for their their education costs, then then a student loan might be the way. But very often, you know, parents do want their kids to get through university without the burden of a student loan, and if they can afford to help them, then then you know, using money in your home loan is not a bad idea. As Luke says, the interest rate is probably a pretty good relative to credit cards and all those things, and and yes, you control, you know, you control what what what gets paid, but obviously you're always on the hook for that money as as the homeowner. And and you know then just knowing that you've prolonged the home loan repayment period on your on your home loan. So so yes, you know, if you've got accessible money in your bond and you want to take responsibility entirely for your child's education, then then yes, I don't mind the home loans as a good option. It's certainly way better than put you know, putting down money from a credit card or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean, well yes, always credit cards will sort of last resort. All right. So so sports betting, I mean, what are some of the red flags? What are some of the signs that if you see this, if you see yourself doing this, you know, actually this is a problem.
Speaker 9: Yeah, a couple of quick ones.
Speaker 16: So I think the thing about chasing your losses, you know that phrase, I'll win it back, you know, if you're if you're down, and this happens to gamblers and and and sports betters alike, if you're if you've lost a thousand rand and and actually you realize that thousand rand was desperately needed for the month end. The mistake to make here is you don't then go and take a bet of more money to try and make up that thousand round because in this instance you might need to bet one thousand and five hundred bucks to get back your one thousand round. All good and well if your bet wins, but remember you're in the hole because your bets were losing your money.
Speaker 9: And so if you now bet.
Speaker 16: Another one thousand and five and to try and win back the thousand you've lost, you could be in a situation where you've lost two and a half thousand round and then your whole is just deeper and deeper and deeper. So just to understand, like you know this, I'll win it back, chasing your losses is just not a way to work on this. It means that you should you should realize that that you're going down a path you need to stop. Some of the other warning sides for me, are you know, are you are you betting money that's actually needed to pay for electricity, or to pay for rent, or to you know, buy food, Because if you are, that should be a major red flag, and people are doing that there are people out there that are that are in that situation.
Speaker 9: And then maybe if you're.
Speaker 16: A little bit ashamed to talk to your family, to talk to your your life partner about this, that's a sign you might have an issue here, you might have a problem. And and you know, transparency and being clear, you know, is means maybe you've got this. You know, you know you don't have a problem, you've got it under control. But but but if you're ashamed about this, that's a real sign to you that that you can't you might have an issue and you can't share that with with people. And and and then maybe the last one and is you know, are you much more focused on winning a bet than watching the game that you're interested in? Back to our example of the soccer fans, You know, if you're much more emotionally invested in the bet and being right on a bet than actually just watching your favorite team play their game, it could be a red flag. And and again, you know money's involved.
Speaker 2: Here, Yeah, no, absolutely, I mean I really like the idea of, you know, of the issue of if you're betting with bill for money, or you need to pay for your bills, or you you just need to win one I mean that's sort of hunger for it that that becomes quite difficult. Is there a particular, one single action you could take that might just sort of reveal all if you.
Speaker 16: Like, if if some of these red flags that have alluded to are are there for you, and and you're you're struggling with this, maybe you're just realizing that you're struggling with this, then then can you can you go for a month without placing a bet and and just let that money accumulate in a savings account or pay down some debt uh and and if you can just see what that does for you, see see what it does to your emotional state, to your stress levels obviously, to your financial position uh and and get yourself out of that that debt issue. And and you know when when you when you can do sports betting for fun and for entertainment and not to to get by because one of these red flags, then you know, by all means, go back to it. But but don't do this, don't carry on and keep betting a month after month or week after week. If if you if you're raising some of these red flags for yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that I think that's really good advice, just try and see what happens if you stop for a month, and then if it's fine, you can go back. But just try and see it. And I think that often just that time you know it gives you, gives people a lot of instead of I know so many people who've stopped smoking by keeping one cigarette and saying if I needed, I can have it. It's there, and somehow it gives them the strength to not go back. It's a very interesting thing. Warren, thank you very much, indeed really appreciated Personal Finance with Warren Ingram is the co founder of Galileo Capital.
Speaker 13: The Money Show Stephen Kruetez is brought to you by apps a cib.
Speaker 9: APPS is a registered FSP.
Speaker 2: Well, still a tough day in the United States, after a tough day on the JSC the Dow Jones down point eight nine percent, the NAAZAC down one point three eight the S and P five hundred down point nine to four. All about valuations and tech valuations once again. B twenty is starting, of course, just a few bucks away from where I'm speaking to you now. We'll have live coverage of that tomorrow. Don't forget signat to John Pullman and Clement moniett Ella will be live from the B twenty tomorrow as well. We'll see you then. Good evening, it's it's