Speaker 1: Let go KFM Morning, Darren Sherlin Sibbs and you.
Speaker 2: It's Martin Garrick's as fog clouds the entire city. You see that, Eh, We're we're driving through a cloud. So we have got a prank. It is throwback Thursday one that we pluck out of the archives. It's a great memory. And guess what you be forties next week.
Speaker 3: County.
Speaker 2: Yes, the yeah, in Cape Town soon. They are still tickets available if you want from ticket Master, but we are revisiting something from there.
Speaker 1: Stop stop what you're doing. Here is another world famous crank call from Darren Wackhead Simpson six exclusive to KFM mornings.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, let's go into the ark. So you be forties in town to June.
Speaker 2: That's uh, they're gonna be boarding the plane soon to come here. It's just a around the corner. And so we've dipped into the archive. So every time that U Beforety comes here, we get to have a wonderful chat with the lead singer, Ali Campbell, one of the nicest guys. All right, but I want to take you back to when it started, my very first interview with Alie Campbell. Okay, and I was.
Speaker 3: Like that they gave.
Speaker 2: They were like, Okay, they're coming and there's only one interview that he has time to do, so you're going to get it. So he was under the impression this is like, this is the main dude, you know, this is.
Speaker 4: Serious business music journalism.
Speaker 3: This is the main radio station.
Speaker 2: This is giving me the max coverage.
Speaker 3: What could go wrong?
Speaker 2: So I was like, let me be a DJ stuck in a TimewARP that classic eighties.
Speaker 4: Journey which you are reerially good at all.
Speaker 3: Right, don't touch that dial. It's crazy how you just switched that on. Don't touch that dial.
Speaker 5: You could have had this or even laughing in radio, but you laugh through your nose.
Speaker 3: Very polite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that era. So I wanted to take him back there and make him think, like put him in a world where he goes, what is this like? Where am I the worst interview? And I'll make it like it's live. So he's got no option to put the phone down.
Speaker 4: And he's such a professional, he is so generous with his time. Yes, and here you are.
Speaker 2: So I have callers, I have all that lined up right, and and so now they said listen, give him a call. He was on his way. He was driving from Birmingham to London. They said, call him in his car, he has his number. Happens in the afternoon, and I'm like, great.
Speaker 6: Okay, So.
Speaker 2: This is me being in eighties DJ interviewing the legend that is Alie Campbell UB forty.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hi, is that Alie Campbell?
Speaker 7: It is that Darren?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, it is Ali. Let me just explain quickly.
Speaker 5: We're gonna be starting interview in a minute, and we're going to start it with the jingle that opens my radio show, and then we're gonna get straight into it after that because we're going to be recording it live to tape.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, stand by sounds awful already.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 3: Let's wack it in the morning, yn.
Speaker 5: Dude, he waged in the morning sixty nine and a goodly, goodly, goodly morning to you all. And oh yes, remember this show Bradley brought you by coat takes penny liners, wear them so you can play tennis, go river rafting and do all the normal day to day stuff ladies. Okay, now we've played my salary this morning. It's a privilege. We're speaking to Ali Campbell, the late singer.
Speaker 3: Of the band you two. You'll be fuddy.
Speaker 7: Yo yo yo. What's up Darren?
Speaker 3: Oh, welcome to wake in the morning.
Speaker 7: Well, it's good to be here or good to be talking to you anyway.
Speaker 3: Yes, Now, first time in South Africa? Alan, are you looking forward to it?
Speaker 7: Did you say he's our first time in South Africa?
Speaker 3: Yes? Are you looking forward to it?
Speaker 7: No, we've been here. We've been to South Africa about six times.
Speaker 3: What I go on holiday yourself?
Speaker 7: No, we've played. We've played penny of shows there. We love South Africa. In fact, we hold the attendance record in Johannersberg for when we came and played at to Mandela was released, which still stands at eighty thousand people.
Speaker 5: Well ell yeah, I think you should take your facts, mate, because the current record for concert attendance is eighty seven thousand by Michael Bolton. Okay, now, I just want to tell you if there is a rat in your kitchen, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: Well, I'd shake that rat. That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: So be the reggae band. Alan.
Speaker 5: I take it you all grew up in Jamaica.
Speaker 7: No, we grew up in the south part of Birmingham called Borsel Heath, which was predominantly a West Indian sort of area, West Indian and Indian.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I must have got the wrong brief. I think I got the brief for Shaggy, Yes I did. All right, Okay, you in.
Speaker 3: The in your band, You've got your sister.
Speaker 7: Robin right, yeah, my sister Rubbie plays guitar and things with me.
Speaker 3: Can you just was the.
Speaker 5: Studio dublues Bresy number of an interview here with with Alan Campbell?
Speaker 3: Sorry, Allen, we'll we'll pick it up from there, right, all right?
Speaker 5: Okay, So you'll be forty and I beat twenty nine.
Speaker 3: I wrote that one this whole weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 3: So well, I don't know what else to say. Uh so what else? What else can you tell me, Elie?
Speaker 7: Well, you'll be forty and again making another brilliant album which you'll be out at the end of the year.
Speaker 5: Okay, is there anything else you want to talk about?
Speaker 3: Elan?
Speaker 7: And of course we're coming over to play in South Africa with the Live Earth crew.
Speaker 3: So how's the weather.
Speaker 7: Well, it's really sunny.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to find out, So hold on, where are we? Where are we? Okay? Great? Oh, I've run out of stuff to ask.
Speaker 7: Oh, well, should we talk about our new album and my new shallow album?
Speaker 5: Oh no, not really really, we want to talk about you BE forty being in town.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 7: Well, the last time we were in South Africa was in two thousand and two.
Speaker 3: All right, Allan, that's all we have tid for.
Speaker 5: We're looking ready forward to seeing you in the home of the Big Five. This is Waking in the Morning and now hearing for the very first time in South Africa. It's the brand new single from U B forty. Would you like to introduce it?
Speaker 6: Ali?
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is who you're fighting for?
Speaker 5: By no, I don't think we've been sent that one yet.
Speaker 6: Which when you got them this one?
Speaker 5: All right, Okay, I'm going to play that for the first time in South Africa. I'm going to play the game for you and you can just introduce it.
Speaker 3: Alright, Okay, Okay, we'll just pick it up. Okay, Allen, that's all we have time for.
Speaker 7: Okay, Well, here's a brand new single called Red Red Wine.
Speaker 5: Oh that is fantastic hearing it for the first time here or ninety four point seven high felt stereo.
Speaker 3: It's Wacked in the Morning. Babies. Thank you early.
Speaker 7: That was great.
Speaker 3: I went down. What a guy. No, he's amazing. I don't believe you did that to him. And you committed to your role.
Speaker 2: I was in, I was, I was eighties, I was locked in and and you know, we've interviewed him about three times since. I've never told him that not only did.
Speaker 4: You commit to the role, he committed to that interview did not hang up on you once a professional because there were trained they were look.
Speaker 3: At least five moments.
Speaker 2: He's fantastic. And you know what, if you haven't seen them live, you're in for a treat. You need to guy. See it's a it's a bucket list, really it is one.
Speaker 3: Kay.
Speaker 4: Then you track red red wine, red red one, red red wine, whatever the other.
Speaker 7: Let's do.
Speaker 2: Let's do red red Wine with Ali Campbell on KF Mornings. Brilliant stuff. Listen, we have got out my different contest coming up with Wolvers in ten minutes time. All right, We've got some messages here from the throwback prank.
Speaker 5: Where you gotta tell me you guys interviewed this time around and itway cool to see the ess if you tell him that was you, that interviewed him.
Speaker 3: Wow, this is so cringe.
Speaker 4: No, I'm listening to my you want like the lowest volume possible.
Speaker 3: Because I don't want to hear it. But I don't want to miss the prank.
Speaker 5: No, Mad, you'll be forty, I'll be tweeny.
Speaker 7: My nervous, my broom and you.
Speaker 1: Clo.
Speaker 3: It's very hard to listen to. Yes, it's beautiful, awodness, painful. That's right. They give you big interviews.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you, suld I was banned from any solim interview for about a year after that. And then I said, okay, look, I won't do it again. And then I said, okay, you can interview James Blunt and I did it again. Then I got banned again and I said okay, and then I said okay, but don't do it again. And then I said I won't. And then I interviewed Matt Damon and then I did it not Mad Damon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And but the good news is that I think we're going to be chatting to Ali on Tuesday next week. Maybe it's time to tell him.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's time, or maybe it's.
Speaker 2: Time, or maybe it's time for a two point zero.
Speaker 3: I want no part of that.
Speaker 4: I don't want to be a part of that.
Speaker 5: I remember, normally we go out to him Maye too, he's hotel room man.
Speaker 3: The last time we went to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but but this will be a phone call before you.
Speaker 3: You can do a lot more with the phone call. Yeah, we'll see, we'll see. Okay, that is UB forty