Speaker 1: Right, let's finish with some music, and it's a repeat visitor in our music segment. And I'm so thrilled to be able to bring you this update because the last couple of years, every time I've chatted to vanner Becker, he's talked to us about releasing new singles. He's talked to us about touring and playing live. But today I get to tell you that finally the longer way to debut album is here. And the last time we spoke to Vanna about a year ago, he was planning a European tour. In fact, he is joining us from overseas via zoom Werner. It's lovely to have you back on the show.
Speaker 2: Welcome, hey, found lovely to chat to you again.
Speaker 1: How was Europe? I believe you've just finished a leg in Germany?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did, and it was absolutely amazing. I've had the best time and it's something that I've been building towards for a long time. So happy to have had such a positive experience.
Speaker 1: That's wonderful. You now, though, as we speak in Malta, tell us a little bit more about what's taking you there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I'm actually part of a corporate band called Empire have been on Cape Talk before, but I believe it was on the morning show. And we're currently doing a residency here in Malta and this weekend we're going to Monaco in the south of France. So very excited for everything that's happening here currently.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you're living a bit of a charmed life at this point, Verner. I mean, obviously the icing on the cake that's taken a lot of work to mix and bake over the years. Let me just reflect on how you feel about where you are, considering all the work you've put into this career.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Yes, no, I mean looking back is a good thing for me to do and seeing the progress is absolutely amazing. And my mom actually says to me, I think it's my sister actually said, don't you think small than a like tiny teenage van or even smaller would think that you're the coolest person on earth? And I was like, oh, cute, that's such a cute way of looking at it, you know, Like I do think that this is part of a dream for any music is to be able to turn internationally, and I'm very thankful and grateful for this opportunity.
Speaker 1: All right, So cool, big Verna Becker tell us about the debut album light Woven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so light Woven is actually an album from a very dark time in my life. But the name says it all. Even though the songs are about deep, dark topics, there's a little bit of light woven into everything, and it's sort of like a bit of a tapestry where the hope is the string, this little light piece that holds everything together. And so even though it might be dark, it's still easy listening. It's still something that you can put on and relax to and not necessarily become two melancholic on.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to play out with the song called Compromise. Tell us a little bit more about this track and its inspiration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Compromise is a song about not making compromises and how I am very sort of steadfast in my thinking and once a compromise has to be reached, I find myself often just deciding to shy away from the experience or whatever it is that I'm dealing with. I'd rather like to stick to my guns.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to share it with the audience. But before we ring off, Verno any plans to come back to South Africa and share this material with local audiences.
Speaker 2: Of course, I'll be coming back either in mid August or mid September, depending on how my things here go, But then I'll probably do it tour in South Africa and towards the end of the year looking at hitting a full season there in Cape Town. So very excited to be back.
Speaker 1: Actually, well that's.
Speaker 2: Listing my home.
Speaker 1: Fantastic news. I hope we can get you into studio in person for a follow up conversation when you are back in town Verna, but in the meantime will leave you to the playgrounds of Malta and Monacio and wish you much success in your time overseas as much as we look forward to having you back in Cape Town, enjoy the experience while you're there, and thank you so much for sharing a little the story behind Lightwove with us before we play out with the track compromise. If listeners like what they're here, where do they go to listen to the rest of the album?
Speaker 2: Amazing? Yeah, you can listen to it on any DSP which is like a streaming platform. Spotify Apple Music are the two big ones YouTube music as well, and yeah, you can find it all online under vander Becker. You just search for my name. My surname is spelt with the double K. That's the big one that people get wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, so b E K K E R vander Becker. All the best to you, thanks for joining us again, and all the best for the success of the debut album, Light Woven