Speaker 1: Well more of elements today, it seems in the dispute between Time Bank and the Home Affairs Department over the fees, Home Affairs is now going to charge banks and other institutions to access the national population registered Time banks is the new fees will make it much harder to bank poorer people. Capy Deck is backing Home Affairs. The Home Affairs mister Leon Tribe told us last week how angry he was a Time Bank. He says they're making a fortune while complaining about a relatively small increase. Es Jacobs is the chief commercial officer at Time Bank. Chesslain, good evening to you. You've now given the example of banking someone who receives an SRD grant, so three hundred and seventy round a month. How much would it cost you to set up an account for that person? How important would the new verification fee be in that cost?
Speaker 2: Yeah, good evening, Stephen, and good evening to listeners, and thanks for having us again. So yeahs as the article we've put out today, State said, based on call it the old infrastructure, it must probably cost us in the legion got fifty ran to acquire this customer. And obviously there some ongoing costs in servicing this customer. With the proposed change, which actually went live today, it increases that cost by an additional twenty and am so the fifty rane becomes seventy nan and then in essence makes it largely unsustainable to successfully bank at a minimum seven and a half million sold count disciplines. But I think it's important to note that almost fifteen millions of applicants actually apply for this assistance every single month.
Speaker 1: Why is the cost currently fifty rand to open the bank account for you? Isn't it mostly just it stuff?
Speaker 2: No? So an important part that I think it's important to remember is that in essence, when when you allow customer to fully interact in the national payment system, what in essence you want them to have is a linked debit card or a link check card and to issue that piece of plastic which is probably the largest portion of that firste hine today but again with the ink is proposed by the department fundamentally change to the un economics observing these customers.
Speaker 1: What homer Phase is doing is they're going to have two separate rates. There's peak and there's off peak. Wouldn't you be able to and the off peak rate is much cheaper. It's around Essentially, wouldn't you be able to use that that time to deal with clients who receive or d grants the clients you say you're talking about.
Speaker 2: It's also important to consider the element of convenience specifically for these customers, Stephen. I think with coy c so feaka traditional bank legislation, it obligates banks to first fully verify customers identity before they can actively participate. And if you can't do that in medial time, in essence, what you ask these customers to make multiple because it's a two banking infrastuts to get this done, and that in itself becomes a liability for the customer. And then the question has to be whether it's work a while at the engaging in call it in the banking system in the country or not. And I think we have to put a price on that level of convenience specifically for for for for these customers.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, I hear you, but I mean I think, I think Tribe, I mean Triber was furious last week. I don't know if you heard his conversation with us. I know he's spoken elsewhere. He spoken on social media about this as well. But as I understand the state of play, he says you were consulted, and your bank is saying you can find no record of that consultation, no email or anything like that. I find it quite difficult to understand how your institution could somehow have been left out and all the others clearly were consulted. And from what I can see, you're really the only one that is raising this issue in this way.
Speaker 2: So so there has been other industry bodies, specific in a telecommunications space. That's todays that there has been the microfinance institution as it raised it, and we have the view that more people are raised it as as starts really impacting their businesses. But I think again to put on record, Steven, and in all our previous communication, we did state that we did raise our concerns BIA Sabric and that was that was the channel that was offered to us. But off the back of the decision, it's clear that the concerns we raised seems to have not been considered when making this decision. And again I think we've continuously put on the record is that we've never been anti surprice increase. What we question is the quantum, the timing, and you think there are better ways to do it, and I think the initial open letter eluded alluded to that, and I think we've been very consistent in what we've communicated. And additionally, subsequent all of this is that we've been unable to sit across the table with the Minister and it's still something we'd absolutely love to do to find what we believe the best way forward to And it's again not about not about the bank specifically Time Bank, but again it's about it's about the people. We think these kind of decisions ultimately put impact.
Speaker 1: Okay, the other point Home Affairs makes is that institutions have been running their entire client databases through the system virtually every day. There's been huge abuse. People have been doing it too often. I understand there can occasionally be reasons to do that, but is there any option that you have, apart from raising the price that would stop that kind of Well, it does look like abuse to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's where these kind of conversations become important, because we are of you. There are lots of ways to do it, and I think we would support, we would support the logic to say that if you're doing it just for the sake of doing it with there's no call it legislative obligation to verify identity. I think we could agree that that's abuse and by no means is that ever what we've done. And I think we're large in the industry. I don't think that there's been been happening, and that's why I think a really constructive conversation between people like ourselves and the Minister would be very welcome.
Speaker 1: Joslin Jacobs, thanks very much, indeed, Chief commercial officer at Time Bank,