Speaker 1: Join the conversation on Facebook. Like the capsal page to stay up to date up today. Clinton Vandenberg is a fellow media professional. He was the pr and media manager for Supersport for many many years. He is a journalist. He's gone on to do his own thing more recently, and he also runs a platform called got Game where he does sports interviews with people and really tells incredible He's a wonderful storyteller and his writing is outstanding, and he posted one of his recent interviews on LinkedIn this week because of course, on June twenty fourth, it was the anniversary of that remarkable World Cup game that South Africa won in nineteen ninety five at Ellis Park, the one where we saw Nelson Mandela on the field in Francois Pina's jersey. And it really was one of the most incredible moments in South African history. It still gives me goosebumps to think about it. And the article that Clinton wrote was about a man called Robbie Schlemmer who was the Springbox boot and change room manager. He played a quiet but pivotal role, says Clinton, in one of South Africa's most historic sporting moments. The Rugby World Cup Final at Ellis Park. Driving from Boksburg and his tours a Corolla, Schlemmer began a day of meticulous preparation, from ensuring the change room was spotless and well stocked to carefully laying out the iconic green and gold jerseys. His job may have been behind the scenes, but his commitment to detail helped set the stage for the Springbox's unforgettable victory. That day, he witnessed the powerful arrival of Nelson mandelena Springbok jersey, a moment that confirmed for him that the team would win not for themselves but for the country. Such powerful writing, I'm delighted to say good morning and welcome to weekend breakfast to Robbi Schlemmer, Romie, Robbie, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: Thanks to you Amy, Good morning to you in a cold Cape town as I and good morning to your listeners.
Speaker 1: I thought it's so that we're having this conversation today because of course the spring Bucks are facing the Barbarians at the DHL Stadium this afternoon. It will be a cold and wet game, but it is a good time to reflect on you on the many, many years that you spent with the Springbok team mate.
Speaker 2: No mistake, and I'm sure you all your cape Tonians will be at the stadium late this afternoon. Come more rain or more wind or more bad weather as you've been blessed with the last few days. But yes, there is something about that spring Buck emblem, and something about the Springbuck emblem surviving all these years and still being such a big part of our country. Without a doubt, rugby still plays a huge role. And as you said earlier, and as Clinton also said, going back to the Medieva magic and what Nelson Mandela did on that day, and how you brought the country together, and how sport has unified this country, even though we do have lots of problems, which you also mentioned earlier. Without a doubt year rugby I think will always play a pivotal role in South African history, not just sports wise, but politically and more important to everyone out there that loves their sport.
Speaker 1: Robbie, let's go right back in time and tell us about how you first came to work with the Springboks at Ellis Park.
Speaker 2: I was lucky enough many years ago to be asked by a friend to help out one saturday just in the change rooms at Ellis Park as the guy that used to do the job had taken off and was about to retire. And yeah, what started off with a little Saturday job at Ellis Park running the change rooms for the Lions. Those days will going back to the eighties more trans ball, which then became the Shouting Lions and the Golden Lions, and then eventually the Lions had all started off on that set and I really enjoyed and having been a sports for Nettickus Clinton has probably told you my whole life. When that opportunity came, I grabbed it and I was involved there for many years doing that job. And then you're moving on from just looking after the Lions that famous day in ninety five, and then while I've got you after that as well, been lucky enough to even have been involved with Jake White when he was coaching under twenty one when we were lucky enough to win another World Cup if I remember two thousand and three under Clyde Rathbunk. So yes, there is a bit of history there.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to that day in nineteen ninety five, that memorable day when you drove to work that day to make sure that all your preparation was done with such care and pride as you always did. Did you have any idea who would be walking into the change room?
Speaker 2: No, only later in the morning when I was told, you know that we had to make a plan whether all the players get two jerseys, and I was asked to make sure what the hierarchy would come fetch one jersey because Medieva had decided and it was a state secret at the time that you know, he is coming to the stadium, but he's not coming with his normal Medieva shirts which were so famous for He was going to wear the number six jersey, Francis jersey as the leader of South Africa and probably well in his own way, the leader of the spring Bucks on that day is you know, whenever he ended a game with his Medieva magic, we never lost. He did have something. And when they collected the jersey, well then I only knew or when he arrives later, there will be big action coming. And as I can tell you, when he did arrive, the aura around him and walking into that change room with the cap and there the jersey on was incredible because even Francois, they didn't know Huntley saw him that Medieva was going to wear his jersey.
Speaker 1: Wow. And Robbie in his article, Clinton said that when you saw Medeeba there in the jersey, you that's when you said you could bet your life that the spring Bucks were going to win.
Speaker 2: No, I had a feeling, I must say, my dear. But the thing Amy that really made it come through for me. I was lucky enough being involved, and even though it was crowded, and you know, he had bodyguards around him and many people had a wait outside the change room when he came in to speak to the guys, I was lucky enough to be inside and just checking up on everything behind the scenes. I was actually behind the wall where the showers off, so like had an inside view, probably more by luck. It just worked out that way. So I couldn't come out there now because it was you know, it was big time. I rocky around him and everyone took their seat or you know, listened in as he spoke, and the speech he gave was just incredible. And you know, it's fitty years later and I won't remember work for work, but I do remember how he stated that this was a time for our new South Africa to come together and you know, as he always stated that sport united the country and if anything would ever bring South Africa together, it would be the likes of sport. But he also made it very clear that he didn't want the box to play for him or to play for themselves. Today it was all about South Africa. And he knew too that if they rose to the occasion, they would put us back on the map. Because if you remember, and I know a lot of youngsters might be listening on people that aren't that old, that won't remember that we weren't really given a chance. You know, Jonah Lomo was at the top of his game, the All Blacks were playing brilliant, brilliant rugby. At that stage, we were huge outsiders to win the cup. But it just showed you, as people will always say, it's on the day and on the day after that speech, and then I was also lucky enough to hear france Or speech just before the boys ran onto the field. And after those two I could tell you, Amy, put your house, your car, your trailer, your jet ski with a rain down in Cape Town even your husband back put everything on because today there is no way New Zealand will be South Africa and that was exactly as it worked out on the day.
Speaker 1: Wow, I've actually got goosebumps while you're talking, Robbie. When Mandela delivered that speech in the change room, which you watched from sort of behind the scenes, what was the reaction of the players?
Speaker 2: They were all in awe. There was major silence, big respect, you know the late Kitch Christie who was also the coach at the time. He also was very very much a discipline and respect all around. There wasn't a word said. You know, you had big boys in there who are still communicate with and stay in touch. But the likes of the Querbus visas, the Barley Swats, you know, Yupie Milder, people that could be nervous at times, the late James Small who played a huge role in who I'll always look up to any lar who There's just too many to mention. And mind you, all those I have mentioned too played for trans Ball at the time, who had also been involved with They were an absolute awe and they were so dedicated and disciplined and just ready for you know what lay ahead of them. They would have given their lives on that day. They were prepared to run through a concrete wall, as I say, not just for our president at the time, but for the country. And when you said it brings goosebumps to you, you know, Amy, It's steady years later, but I still remember it like yesterday. And yeah, all there's certain things you want to remember. And I had major COVID a few years ago, so I did lose a bit of memory as well. But all in all, the day that sticks with me, and as I say, sticks with South Africa and just takes us back to where we were and sometimes a little bit sad to see where we are now, but we all live in hope and hope that going forward we can somehow bring back that sparkle that Bronchois and the boys did on that day with the help of Medieva.
Speaker 1: If you've just turned in, I'm in conversation with Robbie Schlemmer. He was the Briton Polish guy for the Lions rugby team and the Springbok rugby team and was there in the change room fifty years ago on that memorable day, the twenty fourth of June nineteen ninety five, when South Africa beat the All Blacks in the World Cup Final and Mandela walked onto the field wearing Francois Pinar's rugby jersey. If you've got a question for him about what was going on behind the scenes, you're welcome to send it to us. On seven two five six seven one five six seven. Robbie, you must have had some memorable experiences in the change room, not only that day but on numerous occasions.
Speaker 2: Ah, you're quite right, Amy, obviously that would have been the biggest of all days. And then, as I say, being involved myself in two thousand and three again with a hunder twenty one World Cup, but many a day with the Lions as well. You know Francois at the time, and I know Francois now. I've been in Cape Town and Kerbus visas in Cape Town and Barley Swats in Cape Town, and you know players before that time Western Province boy that are still stay in touch with Keith Andrews looks to me all the top players in Cape Town, although all the years Western Province have also had a good sight. But yeah, at that stage the Lions didn't lose many matches. And I'm not being arrogant, and not because I was call me a baggage master yet Today the guys have got big names like kit managers and it's all become highly professional. But yeah, we did have many celebrations. You know, the Lions or as I've said, Transvall won the Super ten. They were up there in Super twelve. We won MNIT Night serieses those days, we won the Curry Cup, which was a very very big tournament. Then it's a bit watered down there as the rugby world has changed and the u rcs come on board, which but at that stage the Carry Cup was a lot. And yeah, we had many celebrations in that change room. I remember the late Doc late you know, also celebrating and I can I can recall many good times that I had and I was privileged enough to have with my involvement in rugby. I was never a rugby star. I played a bit of sport in my life. But yeah, when you see the guys at the pinnacle and the very top, and then you realize and that day too, after Joel's famous drop kick, and when the boys got back in the change room, it's not very easy. I don't even think in the English language as words that can always explain, but an unbelievable day and not just that day. I had an unbelievable time the years I was involved, and I wouldn't give it up.
Speaker 1: For anything, Robbie. I've been fortunate enough through my career to get to know some of the spring Bucks on an off and work with them a little bit. And what always strikes me is is big and fearsome and possibly aggressive they look on the field. Generally, they are incredibly graceful and patient and polite and willing to stop and give fans an autograph or a photograph. What was your connection with them like? Were they respectful and kind to you?
Speaker 2: Amy? I must say I think that's probably part of the ethos with the spring Bucks. There were one or two that were a bit difficult. Going to mention names, I don't think that would be right, but I'd say ninety ninety eight percent of them lovely people, salt of the earth, solid citizens, down to earth, and of course, well, I think it goes back to Doc Craven and even before that. When you wear that green and gold, you when you're off the field, you become very humble and yeah, again i'd have to mention guys like Quebus Visa, the gentle giant Bari swat. You know, those guys always had time for everyone. And then to me, a very special one would always be the late James Small. I never ever in my whole life saw James turn anybody away. There'd be twenty five kids in a queue, if more, or waiting for his autograph. He'd sign every single one. He was just an example to so many people. I knew James off the field as well. You know, he would have given his last cent to a hobo on the street. He was and I could say most of the bop ah very very much. I think when you've reached that level, Amy, not just because we've been world champions four times, but if you've become a spring Bok, then I think you've kind of reached the pinnacle. And you know, pretty much like in boxing, a world champion, the same sort of thing. And although some people are arrogant, and I've hearded you, especially around the footballers where they earn even more money than the box, do you know, yes, you do get the arrogant ones, but I think all around most sportsmen that reach that level, do you know where they come from? And you know, not everyone came from Branston or from been millionaires. And some of them very humble beginnings, and if you look where they are today, even some of the newer spring Bucks that have come through under Russi Erasmus, it's wonderful to see. But I do firmly believe it all goes back to that era. I don't think you'd be lucky enough to wear the springbuck Jersney. You were arrogant and you thought you were bigger than the game. You know, nobody, whether it's football, rugby, cricket, tennis, whatever, can be bigger than the game.
Speaker 1: So powerful words there, Robbie, You've been so generous with your time and memories this morning. Will you be watching the rugby this afternoon?
Speaker 2: Yes, most definitely. You know, obviously I'll still spring Bucks is a part of my life and although I'm no longer involved, it's also something that always will play a role in my life. And you are South Africa. As I say, with all our problems, we've got to be proud and we've got to believe. You know, if we could just get the politics to be like our sport, we'd be winners all round, just like cricket, where it wasn't until very recently we managed to break that duck and get that monkey off the shoulder. We'll always be known around the world for our sport. And I think you know, rugby is the great example where it all starts at school level already you can down in the Cape you know already Paul Boys, Paul Jim where you get thirty forty people watching a schools game and strong school rugby is So I think our rugby will always be well looked after. You've got to say, whether you like it or not, Russie is doing a good job. So we got a huge advantage. And now if we can keep cricket on the right track, hopefully eventually the politicians will realize to also get their act together.
Speaker 1: Rubbi is Shlemma. Thank you very much for joining us this morning, rather Rubb Rubby.
Speaker 2: Yes, I thank you, Amy, and it's been a pleasure. And as I say, yeah, let's hold thumbs. I have no doubt we will pull it through this afternoon in the mud. But let's hope for another great year for the spring Bucks, and not just the spring Bucks, the pro Tears and all our sporting codes and for the country as well.
Speaker 1: Indeed, we have to leave it there, Rubbi Schlemmer. He was the bag master for many years for the Lions and the Spring Parks. He says that he've now been known as a kit manager if he was involved today, but he was joining us on the line from Johannesburg.