Speaker 1: Weekend breakfast with Sarah Jane, Marguala King on k Talk on Kate Talk.
Speaker 2: All right, but how we start the show every Saturday morning is with Sjay's topics, three things that we found that you might like to get up to in and around the Western Cape this week end, and a bit of a focus on what you can get up to with the kids for the rest of the Hondai. Certainly in our first two topics. First up, Cape Gate Shopping Center has brought back the much loved Cape Gate ice rink. It's open until the twenty first of this month, from ten until ten until seven earlier, closing on Sundays and at kids age three to thirteen are invited to go and skate with their parents through fifty minute sessions of winter fun. And joining me on the line with the details is marketing manager Zoe Encelin. So good to have you with us this morning, and thanks so much for joining us. Where exactly has the ice rink been set up up?
Speaker 3: Good morning, Sarah Jane, thank you so much for having me. So the ice drink is set up in our covered parking area, so it's close to entrance six.
Speaker 2: Okay, close to entrancing. What sort of how what are the logistics of building a temporary ice rink in the car park of a shopping mall.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's quite a project. So we usually set up there about two weeks before the time it's it's a full board, so they lay down a base, they boild the walls, they put in the pipes, they connect a big chiller and a big tub with glycol in it. So it's a full proper ice drink. So it takes a whole freezing process which usually takes about seven days until it's ready. Yeah, so it's a it's a junior until the final product.
Speaker 2: When when did you open?
Speaker 3: We opened on the twenty seventh of June.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you've been open open for a while now. And what is what a visitor number has been like so far?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's been going very well. Our weekends are sold out, so we really do recommend that you book online. Weekdays are a little bit slower, but we are about fifty percent booked outs during the week. Over weekends we fully booked.
Speaker 2: Okay, fantastic And just tell us you say, it's kids three to thirteen and their parents. I've got small kids. Do I need to get on the ice with them, because that's going to be a disaster for everybody.
Speaker 3: No, look, that's completely up to you. We do, however, just recommend that if the kid is between the age of three and five, that the parent is more than welcome to join them on the ice. The parent would need to pay a ticket as well, because you need to have skates on and the part we had parents going on in the issoes and we're like, no, no, no, that's a hot and safety risk. We cannot do that. So you more than welcome to between the age of three and five. But otherwise if you don't feel that you want to go on the ice, we have a very professional, very professional team. So our promoters on the ice, there's about five to seven of them at a time, depending on how busy is and they are there to help the kids. We've also got those law and we call them like law penguins, all supports that they can push on as well. So there's a good support structure for the kiddies in there.
Speaker 2: Okay, fantastic. In terms of booking, then how do we go about doing that? And how much are tickets?
Speaker 3: So you can book online and web tickets and our ticket price is seventy rand for the regular sessions and the last session of every day, So our last session from Monday to Saturday would be six pm and our last session on a Sunday would be four pm. That one we've turned and we made a little bit more fun. We've turned into a silent disco. So for the ticket for that is ninety rand.
Speaker 2: Okay, fantastic stuff. I'm so looking forward to bringing my kids down there. They are virgin skaters. I am not, but I may as well be. But yeah, all fun and games, anything, any sort of safety measures, any clothing recommendations, what do we need to bring? Presumably it's pretty chilly.
Speaker 3: They are quite chilly down there, I must say so. Yeah, are just dress warmly for safety. We've got a little holmets for the kiddies in case they fallen bove their head, so we extra cautious. We also have a medical on site, so parents really can have that eas of mind that your kidi is safe and just having a whole bunch of friends, aren't they.
Speaker 2: I am looking forward to coming and getting my skates on, and you should get your skates on. Two tickets are available at web tickets if you would like to go and skatee skate at Cape Gate.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Next up another winter holiday delight for the kids, and this one's at the Baxter Theater. The magical pantomime Jack and the bean Stalk runs until the twenty seventh of this month. A friend of mine I'm going this week. A friend of mine went last week and said it's absolutely brilliant. A little while ago, I spoke to two of the performance from Jack and the bean Stalks, Manthlander and Brent Palmer. Let's take a little listen to what they had to say about the show. Let's start with the magic Beans. One of those who don't know about Jack and the bean Stalk, what can we expect from this from this production.
Speaker 1: Samantha, you want to go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Browns will take.
Speaker 1: This all right?
Speaker 4: I will so. Jack and the bean Stalk is a wonderful, family filled production about a very sweet, kind, slightly naive boy named Jack and his mother, Dame Flatbrooke. And this fabulous panther is about Jack trying to rescue his mum and you know sort of bring what's the word I'm looking for, brand like bring joy and bring bring happiness back to.
Speaker 1: The and happiness restoring order into this beautiful, exuberant narrative that Stephen has written. I mean, his interpretation is just so absolutely beautiful and exciting. When I wrote the read the script for the first time, because we're coming in you listen to this production, I mean I was giggling so much just throughout the thing. So funny because he really has written something for for the young people as well as for the aunties, the uncles, the mums and dads were coming to see it. Right.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's magical. It's current, so current, and it's so relevant, and it's just filled with so much magic and so much heart.
Speaker 2: There we go. That is Jack and the bean Stalk on at the Baxter, running until the twenty seventh. Tickets again available via web tickets. They start at two hundred and ten round two shows today, one at eleven, one at three point thirty, and then again at tomorrow at three pm, and you can check the Baxter's website for showtimes for the rest of the run. And then, finally, for the fitness fanatics among us, how about getting up early tomorrow to join a free zimber class. Depends how early. Honestly, I did do. I did do some zimba the other day at the gym. And again, much like the skating, I've realized it's maybe not my forte. The zimba. I don't know if you've ever done zumba, Have you had a go? It's an awful lot of fun, but my goodness me, you've got to have the moves. Anyway, there is a zumba class happening tomorrow and every Sunday morning in fact, at nine point thirty at the Mojo Market, which of course is at number thirty Regent Road. In Seapoints. You can expect big beat and booty shaking cardio and that is going to be facilitated by fitness facilitator orion Land Verb. So there we go. Those are your topics. Also, just wanted to clarify there are still tickets for this weekend. Zoe from Cape Gate says there are still tickets for the ice rink. It's just that generally they have been sold out over weekends, so you must book online. Don't just turn up because you won't get yourself a spot