Speaker 1: Children to education. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: It is time for our education feature right chair on seven oh two. And I'm excited to have this conversation because it's an important one around raising awareness. I really hope that many of those listening, young people and old really that are looking to pursue these opportunities abroad will be empowered by this conversation.
Speaker 1: We're speaking about.
Speaker 2: Steady abroad scams and the importance around verifying before you fly.
Speaker 1: And joining me for that conversation is Domin Gorcy.
Speaker 2: She's the spokesperson for Rosebank colleague who's been looking at this.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show. Thank you for joining.
Speaker 3: Us, good even and promoted the shout out to obumafango in and good evening to your listiness. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 2: Do mean, maybe we can just start with you know, how how big a challenge are these steady abroad scams? You know, I was saying a little earlier in the show that I've seen some adverts for scholarship sometimes on the internet and fellowships that look really really tempting, only to find out.
Speaker 1: That they're sake.
Speaker 3: Oh no, absolutely, And that's a great question to keep us a what I hope will be a fascinating discussion. So if you look at what the scam really is about, it become part of a larger global scam and asper the Global Anti Scam Alliance. Just last year alone, scammers sit front of not a million, not a billion, but more than one trillion dollars in money from unsuspecting people. So the real reason really why it happens is that you have people who dream really big, and you also, unfortunately, you have desperate people and on the other side you have people that are able to meet a quick buck. It is a growing trend if to look critic trade, and that is the reason really why you would find these large amounts of scams, and specifically scams within the education sector, as you have already said, coming in different forms, mostly un solicited, but still mostly in many cases, which is too good to be true. So the simple reason why, okay, really is that it's lucrative and there's people that fall victim to these and people that are opportunistic, so we have a very fertile ground for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean by definition, I know it might sound like it's it's obvious, but what would be what is a study abroad scam or how how would we be able to define it.
Speaker 3: So the study of broad scams specifically would involve criminals contacting people claiming that they are legit or providers or brocus of opportunities for students to have their ability or the siedom to go over things to go study there. And it happens in a various ways. The first one you have already mentioned that it would be versively of scholarships that are being offered to you. You get them in the form of fake universities, fake programs. You also get visa and immigration scams, which are growing in popularity as you know, destinations that are sought after affecting to to to to stop the inflow of people that are visiting as working with the United States and other places. You also have specialized scams like housing scams where you are offered an opportunity to go stay at a specific place while you study abroad. The scholarships and financial aid fraud, and also other really really frightening ones like that you are kidnapping as well as money neal skins. So that's basically what it means, and some of the different forms that these types of Sidia broad scams can take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was about to ask, I mean, what are the different types, because I did imagine that it wouldn't just be an organization purporting to be wanting to pay for your fees. I'd imagine there's a wide range, and that's what makes it so difficult to detect to scam.
Speaker 3: Oh no, absolutely, I think where you see pockets of opportunity where people might want to tap in and and and and benefit themselves, you would find such scams. And these three areas would be opportunities for a place in a university, and we all know that those are being She went far between. The second one would be opportunities for you to stay at a place while you're studying there, which is also an area of scarcity both locally and abroad. And the third part would be opportunities for as you had said, for the university to pay for your feet that you would't have to. So these are sort of the three high level areas where you would find high level of activity in scamming and fraud.
Speaker 2: And then what these scams, what is the usual end results? Are people being scammed for human trafficking purposes or are they being scammed out of money. I mean you'd imagine, okay, in the instance of a scholarship, maybe you're told to pay a certain amount or what's the end what's the end?
Speaker 1: Planning? The end game from these scammers usually.
Speaker 3: Well, these are scanning activities increase in sophistication every day. But what is I've seen on the ground. I say most cases, the end game is always financial game, So you would see people being scammed out of their money in many cases. While we haven't really noticed or seen much human trafficate, this is a growing problem. And if there is an opportunity to traffic young people or human trafficking through education, I wouldn't say that it's something that might not happen. But the majority of cases are people that are being swindles off their finances and they're hired and.
Speaker 1: Cash And what what the scanning? What what the scamming look like to me?
Speaker 2: Would it be an ad and banking details with someone hoping that you know they might bite, debate, or would it be an active person on the end of the line with a fake accent promising you the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a combination of those. But I'll quickly take you through five ways that we have seen this happen. The fact would be as scammers posing as represented for foreign institutions. You would know that, you know, there are certain bodies or safe parties that would represent global universities as recruits. So this is one way that you would find that it happens. Really an impersonation of university if not immigration officials that would approach potential victims with offers for them to get visas or to study within specific universities, usually a top notch, very popular ones both in Europe as well as in the United States. Other ways that this can happen with the fake scholarships offers again being offered an opportunity to have your study funded overseas, others called too good to be true, admission processes promises, and those would usually be coming from your prestigious universities. And how you would typically notice this is that the requirement for entry would be very minimal, so again to God to be true. And then there other ways that you would applic this up refutulant accommodation listenings where scammers would pose state rental as for students are housing abroad and collecting deposits you know for properties that donate and exist. And thus the and increasing way that you're seeing, which is again increasingness of sophistication, will be social engineering where your details are taken off social media platforms and then the process would then use this information to convene to into paying for an opportunity that in most cases, I guess in all cases does not exist. So these are just some of the tactics that these scammers would be using to lure and suspecting victimising.
Speaker 2: A study of broad scams this evening on our education feature, why is it crucial to verify before you flying? My guest on the show this evening is do Mean Gorssy, spokesperson for Rosebank College, and we're hearing from her around the trends in that space. I want to invite you to join the conversation on zero double one double A three oh seven o two. Are you a young person or an old person looking to pursue education elsewhere in the world. It sounds like an interesting and amazing opportunity and you are fearing that it may be too good to be true.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe it is, so get in touch with us.
Speaker 2: Call us on zero double one double A three oh seven O two. We want to hear from you, or if you've already been a victim of these scams, please get in touch with us. If you have any questions what do me around these scams? Please give us a call on zero double one double A three oh seven O two. You can also send us what's up on zero seven two seven two one seven oh two do me I want us to go into the intricacies of some of these scams. Do we know from where the scammers are usually running the scams from? Are these's generally locals or is it people abroad that are you know, abusing the system and maybe they've got contacts abroad, They've got a number abroad, and they've got something that looks really real, and that's why they can do people into some sort of a you know, proving legitimacy.
Speaker 3: It's very DIFFICULTMOSO, when we are dealing with online activity to be one hundred percent sure where these scammers might be coming from. Farm might be coming from next door. You never really know some are coming from internationally. What we do know is that it is an activity that is incredibly licreative. Again, the dollars in work of money or currency that you know, international organizations are mentioning. But unless if you are really really well trained and sophisticated investigators and specialize this vibra security, most of us will probably never know where these cammas are coming from. And that's why it is so difficult then when you fall victim to try and get your money back, if you don't have certain systems in place that may allow you to be able to get your money back. So it is typically what we have seen. It is cross border activity and incredibly difficult to determine exactly where these gammras will come from. So that's the first part. The second part is that even if law enforcement is able to close, you know, these mushrooming networks as they come up, online activity is very easy to then replicate elsewhere and then try and get loopholes. So it is incredibly difficult number one to completely avoid it, and number two to determine where the people are placed. So that's the challenge really that you have on the table.
Speaker 2: I want to go into the how do you know? How do you know if you're being scammed? How do you know if you're being duped? How do you know that? That sounds like it's something too good to be true.
Speaker 3: Well come also, I'll use my own example, because much of my thought that I'm quite smart, I nearly fell into one of these scammed. In my case, I already have you know, the qualifications that I mostly fought after. But I wanted to do an exegative development program that was offered internationally, and it had all the names of really higher level and popular business leaders of our time. So I went onto this online scamming. Immediately, I thought, no, man, I've studied at some top universities, but these people don't look like they're the type of people that would agree to be in the same place at the same time and only took for me in my case. And I'll go to other ways that you can tell. It's just to do a Google search and take the name of the program and the name of the institution that was sailing to run that program in that could commerce and do a simple Google search in quotation marks, and my goodness, that is where I saw comments upon comments of people complaining about how they would do them. These are executives that would typically be wanting to do such a program, not even young people. But other ways that you can tell. Besides it's being too good to be true. I would say trust your instincts. Verifigh, I mean go through the official channel. So so the first I would say, do a Google fetch and look for reviews because now increasingly way out we've got many people that do reviews on products and check to see if such an organization exists. Number two, do your research. I mean it's a Africa, We've got the Department of Higher Education and Training where you can go to check if local organizations are indeed registered, but you can also get information as to how to check other departments in your country of where you think the place is and try to see if this institution is legitimate. And then number three, go and do don't click on links where you get an email that's got a link and it's inviting you, do not click on any links. Rather look at key information, the name of the institution, even the name of the person that has sent you this email, and go and do a Google search and do research before you click on anything. Another way that we found to be incredibly supportive and of high confidence is just to go to your higher education institution if you're looking at post graduate studies or if you are at high school. If you can approach your career guidance and ask them if they might be able to help you with doing a sage. But if you're in higher education, I would suggest that you would approach your international or internationalization office, which are at most universitus you would have such an office, and they too would be able to help determine an opportunity might be a scam or not. But most portunately, if there is urgency where the person is asking you to pay is at front or they are using agent pactics to say something along the lines of do this within the next twenty four hours out the while you would lose your place, be very careful of those. Usually universities do not operate like that. And then secondly, if they these requests are also linked to threats. So maybe if you are an international student in South Africa and you are being threatened with your immigrating, with your with your status you revoked, then those things also are things that you should look out for. So if it's too good to be true, if they are threads and they're scared, and if there are promises that are or threats, that you might lose your position if you don't as quickly, I would say, rather stop, check and verify before you proceed.
Speaker 1: That's so important. I mean, yeah, I suppose many, many many.
Speaker 2: It's easy to fall for this and and I think it's funny that you say a simple Google search should should give you the answer. And you'd imagine that people that are pursuing postgraduate studies would know how to do a Google search.
Speaker 3: You would think so that sometimes these inpersonatils can be incredibly convincing. I mean, they can send you an email and they would have the right extensions. The other thing that you should be looking out for is that if the email has got domain for extensions like dot EGU for education or dot act UK, you should look out for that. But even that doesn't say guide you. So again it's incredibly sophisticated. Rather be say some sort you don't click on links, verify, check, double check, and if it's too good to be through your scared, your under pressure, rather stock and check yourself before your check. I carn't get checked by illegal people. So that's basically you know some of the ways that you can save guards.
Speaker 2: I hear you're you're insisting on the don't click on links.
Speaker 1: Why is this for the potential of hiking.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely. I mean, for example, these days, if you go into your email, you can copy a link from an illegitimate source and then change the caption of that link, so you would have a link that is coming from, you know, a Gmail address, and you can make it look like if just a link that's coming from a dot C or AC dot UK or dot AC dott a extension. So if you have or if you don't without clicking, So if you take your mouth and you just half I don't click on it, it will reveal what the actual link is. But say you don't know that horror one can to do this. When you click on it, you think you're clicking on a specific email address or you're going to a specific website, whereas in the background it's taking you to a completely different website. And let's be honest, after you're clicking on a link, how many of us actually go to the top of the blog? But to speak, no one, what we clicked on is actually where we've gone, So do not click on links. It also opens you up to activity and things that might download on your machine and keep writing in the background, So it's very dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh we're speaking a steady abroad scams right here on the Obrimasanga show. My name is Commenso with DS. I'm in for brah Obs this evening and this is seven o two. I want to hear from our callers and from anyone who's listening who may have almost fallen a victim to these scams. And do you ever put in as much thought into this as as as you should? You know, on my experience, I follow a couple of these pages on Facebook and I follow them also on LinkedIn, and you know, just so that I can get an alert from time to time if there's an interesting program or something to do. And I've only realized recently that a number of the ones that are on Facebook that I have been following that seem to be on a poster or seem a little dodgy. Something in me said open the comments. And when I opened the comments, people in there were saying, this is dodgy, this is not true, this is fake. And I'm realizing that I would not have known if I didn't open the comments. To me, the role of social media, I mean, is that where.
Speaker 1: It all goes down.
Speaker 2: Because to me, the sense I'm getting is young people on social media.
Speaker 1: Young people are spending a lot of time on their phones. It's the perfect place to get to them.
Speaker 3: Welcome. Mostly interesting that you're raised in social media because the case that I've mentioned were almost fell victims have found that company on social media, and the moment I kicked on social media, I kept being fed to this ad. So for a long time I was seeing this ed and I've heard it was legitimate. Meanwhile it was SKM University. So social media is also a very spetile ground for these scams to mushroom and to take different forms. And because you are usually relaxed when you go on social media. You don't go on TikTok because you are you are you know, you've got your guid up. I mean, that's where you go to connect with people both locally and abroad, and of course gammers noted, so they want you when you are at your most vulnerable. So for me, unfortunately, that is where I was almost scammed into. It was one hundred and twenty five thousand brand program that that's the amount of money that was almost fistent from me. So incredibly, incredibly a good place for these scammers to be operating. So much as we like social media. Unfortunately, if you're going to be transacting, you need to be a bit more careful and put your guid up instead of being relaxed as you usually are when we are on social media.
Speaker 2: To me, I'm learning that these scams are so brazen that they go to the extent even of creating fake universities. I mean, I thought that you'd have a scam that says University of X, but it's a legitimate university, but the details are fake, or but I'm learning that they even go to the point of creating fake universities that don't exist.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, how long does it take these days to create a website. I think ten years ago, without showing my age, you could create a website within a couple of days. Then it was one or two days. But now with AI, you can actually recreate the same university page using AI. Obviously, if you don't see the university page every day and you see the logo is there, then you would think that this is the university and the college that they're using. So these days with AI is very quick. You can have a website up and running in a matter of humanity. It's not ours because it is that easy, so they go as far as that, and that was the case with my case that I mentioned that it was a faith university that was created that minute. The real university and everything there look like the original website. But when you look at small things like, for example, if you've got Oxford University, then this one is that Oxford, you do ac that air or Oxford your ac dot org. So small things like that that you typically wouldn't be looking at, but it's very easy. They it's an end to end to process. They create the product that creates the university, and then obviously they create the payment mechanisms. We also are very good with digital marketing. So again, if you click on it one time in a social media pose, it will keep feeding you this ad. So then you get you get duped into thinking that if I've been seeing this air for a year, it would mean that it is a legitulate university because it's been around for so long. Meanwhile, that get the violet. It's just a face university.
Speaker 2: And I mean, uh, are government officials and university officials some of the people involved in these scams. I mean, I'd imagine that it would be someone who knows the systems at the university knows some of the programs that are that are offered. Do we have evidence that it's sometimes officials who are in on it.
Speaker 3: Look where we have seen official activity, it's quite minimal. Hasn't worked within the academic space. I think that you will be hard trust to find people that are more proud of their hard work and heavy change than people that are academics, than people that have been working in academia for a long time. Where we've seen cases in you know, the last couple of years, is not even a scam, but it would be people selling university spaces, although locally it's not really an area where we've seen a lot of activity, So not really a scam because you understand that you're buying a university space. But again they haven't really grown locally as we had thought that they might grow. But what we have seen is said it's criminal, it's a criminal network. It is scammers that are professional people that have been scamming people in various ways. And usually you would find that, you know, a single scammer would be running five or ten different types of scams. Say it might be a university scam there, it might be a credital scam or whatever scam. So it's criminals. It's very rare. In my case, I have never found such activity within a legitimate university. You it's just brazen criminals that have found a way to take an opportunity from people that are dreaming big and that are desperate for opportunity. It's a criminal organization. There's no other way to put it.
Speaker 2: And do these scammers get caught, I mean in our country. I don't know if any cases or any case law around you know an instance where scammer was brought to court. It's a difficult crime to prosecute. But it's also I think a difficult difficult terrain to make arrests in because the perpetrators are usually faceless.
Speaker 3: Oh no, absolutely, So, like you have said, it's incredibly difficult to track because as I had mentioned Alia, it's costs border it's very difficult to figure out where these scammers are. And if you find that they are not in your country, then you're dealing with foreign laws in a different country. And one place that I had read, we found that they don't even operate by themselves, and in some cases the person that you're steaking to on the phone or the person that you're emailing is working under the jewress of somebody else. We have had cases of scammer farms, I think that's what they are called, where you have people that have been brought into a very large and unhygienic facility and they're working under duress, being forced to scan people and make money like that. So, because in most cases these are organized crimes in many different areas across the other clothes, it is incredibly difficult to track them. Number one, if you do track them, it's most likely that they're going to be outside of your body. And if that is the case, that you're going to have to be dealing with international law, which is again very difficult to navigate as you might be away. So these three elements are the ones that really are interplaying with each other to ensure that it remains a difficult crime to crack down on, and that's why it is growing so much and it is lucrative and even if you crack on it for you to obtain successful prosecution.
Speaker 2: So as a result, I don't know of any in South Africa where that we've seen any prosecution, but I'm sure it is a space that is being worked on all right, but speaking study abroad scams with doming Gussy from Rosebank College and she's informing us of what's happening in that space. It's a multi million rand industry where scammers go out of their way to convince young and old people seeking to advance their educational prospects with Yeah, they scam them and basically pay for whatever you need to pay for those or you'll lose the post. And there is a desperation I think from many people who are looking to study or further they studies, especially with South Africa. Some people finding that they're not finding positions or placements for the programs that they want to pursue. And here's a university, it looks appealing, it looks prestigious, it's abroad.
Speaker 1: You know, and you know it can date's a scam.
Speaker 2: So it's an important conversation to have that we're having right now on our education feature. I want to encourage you to make your contributions on this zero double one double A three oh seven O two. I want to hear your thoughts on this particular scam. Do me really being insightful there on how they work?
Speaker 1: Zero double one double.
Speaker 2: A three oh seven two do me other particular programs that are often seen as you know, dodgy. For example, on the one that I was following, it was fellowships, which is something I'm very interested in. And you know, there's a dedicate almost a dedicated Facebook platform where what seems to be scammers either tailor or put together bogus fellowships and.
Speaker 1: They post every day. So other particular programs.
Speaker 2: That that people should be on the lookout for that are prone to being used or manipulated by scammers.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, And these are usually the programs that are in high demand at any different times. Between examples that I have seen cases and really high ranging cases would be for programs in computer science and all the relative silts under they were talking artificially intelligent cyber security. Really these lives to degrees that when you are done with them, then you are almost guaranteed a job, whether you are working locally or abroad. So programs around computter to engineering, programs around general engineering, because we all know that a lot of people want to do engineering. But even if you make the cart, you meet the Libiman requirements to see it in South Africa, you are not guaranteed a position because the spaces are so few, and that is also the case when you go abroad. It's really competitive in those programs. The other one is your MBA, the same as an informacy right, because typically we all know that an NBA is not a cheap degree, so there you would be attracting people that are likely to have the funds that you're looking for. You might make it a little bit cheaper, but an NBA remains incredibly popular, but also one that I would attract people that are likely to have the funds to look at to look at it. And also your fellowships to executive leadership programs. There are these fellowships that would involve you traveling to another country other executives, very very attractive. So those fellowships and executs programs are also some that we have seen to be incredibly attractive for scammers to use to newer people. So in my experience, these are the three, but obviously these are not the only ones, because if you're consistent searching for a specific program, scam I can pick up that activity if you click on their ad and they can continue feely me what you want to see. So these three are obviously the most popular, but not necessarily the only ones, so there are many more out there.
Speaker 2: We're going to go into the red flags, and that's because I got a WhatsApp of someone asking or sending us what seems to be an AD for a program, and she wants to know if it is legitimate or not. So I want us to slowly go through the red flags to me so that our listeners can hear and you know, almost compile a list of what they should know and what they should look out for. I'm sure there's those little things that pop out on an AD on social media, on an AD on Google that the lights should start going off when they see that.
Speaker 1: So can we can we do that?
Speaker 2: Let's put together a list of red flags and number one, maybe let me start contributing to the list of first spelling errors, do me? I'd imagine those are some of the best ways to see if something is a bogus ad.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so number one. Spelling errors would be the first one, and also closely linked to that would be the inconsistent use of ponts. But obviously you and I would be interested in those things. Not everybody's going to check to see if you know, the first paragraph is written in comic funds, where as the second paragraph is written in aerial fonts. But fun, it's fun. There would be an inconsistency because usually these email packages that you're using are illegitulate, so they are they are not primed to look professional. So the first would be the selling errors, and then the second would be the inconsistent use of phones and the style of the lettering. So those would be they you know, your first step. But let's say that that you're dealing with incredibly smart stammering. Most of them are, and they have checked those boxes. The second red flag would be if it's just too good to be true. In some ways that you can figure this out. Number one is that if you are approached it's an unsolicited email, that would be the first the first red fleg and then too good to be true insofar as you know if you're looking, like for me, if I was looking at this executive development program of working executive education for a long time, and you do know that there are specific types of speakers that are likely unlikely to be available at the same time. You know, for example, what are they chance that the treatment paper would be available on the same life, there be a bay became to me as part of this program. Now I know I am an intelligent person and I'm very very charming, but it's not gonna happen. Right when I was looking at this to be scammer for me, I just thought, it's not possible. There's used two people as already, so they would just take the time to be with me on a single evening. So again those would be your your your second words, like you know they are too good to be true. The third one would be if you are you've already interacted with this person, they think that you're interested, and they start asking for money to process your application or things like that. But usually this request wouldn't be you know, please pay this application for me, because it is you think there are no I'm not interested. They will say pay this application fee, but within the next three days or else you will we will no longer go to the application. So again a request for money that is accompanied by urgency, if not not threats, And the thought would be you're not really being able to verify this particular university. You know, you're searching online, you don't find them, and you cannot find anything that is being said about this particular university that would be your your your your your your fourth I'm not sure I am now your fourth flat. And then lastly again threads and uh you know, being threatened that if you don't pay this, who are going to to shut down your laptop or you know clone you know, or have your immigration stats revoked, things like that, So you would give them information and then they would use that information against you. Uh so so so those types of red flegs, but again eficancy, they're ranging from really start or like incorrect usage of forms to really really I did, and and psychologically disturbing, like being threatened with stats that you may have, you know, being in the country for social period of time. So the red flags very in their intensity and in their you know ability for you to be able to pick them up easily.
Speaker 2: Do these scammers have platforms of choice that they that they do this on. For example, one may go on to LinkedIn and be and have their guard down a lot more because you know, it's LinkedIn. Everyone is there for professional purposes. It's supposed to be a valid and a reputable site where everyone there is a good person wanting you to win a life. But do you Still the scammers have a preferred platform where they know they're going to get more people.
Speaker 3: You find them everywhere and usually what they've seen pled scammers are like, you know, they're business people, so they're going to go on platforms where you're going to have large numbers of people because the more people that are engaging with the platform, then they're more chances to do have to catch somebody that might be able to hand over their money. So look out for platforms that are incredibly popular. Social media platforms in particular, I won't mentioned names, but you know one big ber Motor's got other platforms underneath it that that have you know, some of the biggest audiences on social media platforms. So social media is your first area. The second w be email because we also, unfortunately live in an era of information liks. Your personal emails usually that you use to register for subscriptions, you know, for streaming and all of that. If they get linked, then that email addresses like to go into lend in the hands of a scammer. So beyond the dogadasaurs saying do not check on links in emails, So that's where they would usually you know, approach you on emails. And then the third place really that you would get scammers is by you know, text, by by also by telephone. Usually these telephones would be at peculiar times. Their favorite time is going a Friday evenly because usually your currently stively the glass of wine, your guide is fund so they're able then to siffent to do dub you into thinking that you're dealing with the legitimate person. But to answer your question, any place where there is a large number of people is usually a place where you're likely to find these scammers because the more people they have, they're more likely they are to make pigbacks because there's a larger audience.
Speaker 2: I mean generally, do the scammers get in direct contact with with with applicants via the phone? You know, As someone who looks for these opportunities and it's interested, I always wonder, I mean, can I get a call from a certain mister whoever wherever giving me instructions or do they keep it very limited contact and not only e contact, uh, you know, in order to suppose to maintain some sort of anonymity. But it's possible for you to get a call from a SCAMMA, it.
Speaker 3: Is absolutely because in many cases you would have a deed on social media, so you'll click on a link and then it will give you a website form or a social media form, and then you will type in your name, your telephone number, all of that, and then it's easier for them to call you because then they would call you. You think that you are being called by an international university. Meanwhile it's these scammers. So that's one way that they could have direct contact with you. The incredibly brainson, but be are right. In most cases it will be without much contact. It will be e you know, just a discent communication via email. After that, I think the most popular would be text, you know, with the likes of WhatsApp or I'm assage to that type. If they were able to get your numbers, be it through a social media form, a website form, or through an information bik. And then the third part would be when they call you. Usually, if they call you, it's not really unsolicit that you would have given up your number somewhere and they would be contacting you, linking you to that transaction that you would have done on the website by submitting your details to be contacted. And then you would again think that it's Algyimate call.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm comoto, I am keen on this program, and it looks legitimate. It's got the right colors, it's got the right fund, it's it's great, and I'm excited. And so I click on the link because I don't know any better, and I hadn't heard this interview from me, and I go in there and I put in my details, and then at some point I realized, Oops, you know this may be a scam and the scammers may be operating this as as you know, as I'm busy on my device.
Speaker 1: What can you do?
Speaker 2: Can you go anywhere? Can you report this to someone? What can you do?
Speaker 3: Before I continue? You? And have you paid a fee over to the scam while you were busy?
Speaker 2: Let's okay, let's first in the first instance, let's say you haven't paid, but you are there on the side, so you're realizing that something is wrong here.
Speaker 3: Okay, So if you realize something is wrong, I think the best place to start would be the South African Fraud Prevention Service. It's an organization in South Africa that specializes in the investigation and presention of fraud. They also then would typically list all types of emerging types of scamming and fraud activity on their website, but that is the first place where you would need to go, not only for them to try and investigate, but also to serve as a platform where they can warm one other about emerging scams. You can also go to the South African Collite service to open a case. Again, if your identity gets so then unaware or unbeknown to you, and you opened a case, then it is easier for you to make claims to insurance if any of your information is used to open, you know, illegitimate credit accounts and so forth. But they also would give you clips as to where else can you go, like your credit duron to make sure that you put in AVA lets so that if anybody tries to open accounts in your name then they would be able to stop such an activity. The other plans if you have paid, which unpportunity can be the case for some people, you can contact your locale bank. I'm not sure if all the banks offer this, but it's always worth a try. If it's taked with a credit card or with your card and you're very quick to realize that this was a camp, this was a scam there are certain mechanisms that are in place that can allow certain banks to be able to revel those transactions, but obviously this is not guarantee. Depending on the type of mechanism that was used, it might not be possible for you to get your money back, but it is worth calling your bank so that at least they and stop the card and then not have those details the valid for the scammers to make use of your card in other transactions. And then lastly, if you've got any disputes, really you can contact the National Consumer Commission who can also asks to you if you have blocked the disclude and you feel that you know the information that you're getting is not satisfactory. So those are the organization South African Forward Prevention Service, the South African Police Service, your local bank if you have already made the payment. And finally you can also speak the National Consumer Commission.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what's the reporting to the Prevention Service, the FOARD Prevention Service.
Speaker 1: And other organizations.
Speaker 2: Have you found that these scammers are deterred because what I know in other I don't want to say industries, but in other forms of scamming, what scammers often do is that they just move on to the next scam, and they reinvent themselves when they realize that they've been caught. Are you Are you seeing the reporting to services like the Fraud Prevention Service resulting in scammers being deterred and stopping or do they just continue into something else?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, please, They're not going to stop when you're quite right when you say that, they will move on. But what I like about reporting to such organizations is that at least you're stopping the next person from being scammed the same way that you are likely to be scammed number one. And also it can serve as a warning to their creat to our law enforcement that there are new and imaging scams that they should be cracking down on. So I'm always voting for reporting. It might not stop them from doing it to another person, but it might stop them from doing it to another person in using the same technics that they tried with you. But it's an evolving trend. It's never going to stop. Where human behavior is and where human behavior evolved, you will find an evolution of these scammers. But reporting it and being stops another person from being scanned the same way as you, And who knows it might be me. They're be stopping you just simply by reporting, I might be stopping the scammers from also scamming you in the same way. There's a tribe with me, So I highly recommend reporting.
Speaker 2: And then finally to me your advice for our listeners, any people who are looking to pursue their studies abroad. It's still an amazing opportunity, and I hope that this doesn't, you know, scare people. What's your advice to a person who's listening who's still keen on going to the international study route, if.
Speaker 3: You're going to be growing the international studies route. I'm an old style or old tradition person. I would say rather re said an embassy. So if you're looking for to pursue your studies, identify the university, the names of the university is where you want to study, and I find out where those universities are located in each country, and then go and approach an embassy so that they can give you advice as to the best way for a person in your country to have access to these thing for opportunities, and embassies would have you know things like what are the possibilities that you can get in when can you apply, who are the right people that are recruiters that can help you with your application. So usually they will give you a complete set of information step by step as how you can access those those opportunities. So please suit with your embassies. The second part is that again i've mentioned fit with your school so that they can help you with research or speak with your university's international office if you're interested in post graduate studies. Again, even if you have graduated as an alumni, your university or your college would have an alumni office that would also be able to help and guide you along the right opportunities internationally that could be pursued. And then said and lastly, just these feature means you know, if you you are too lazy to go to an embassy, just look for simple things. If it is too good to be true, it probably is. So those would be the three tricks that I would be due to to listeners. Visit and embassy. This is your university if you're a post graduate or your school if you're looking at undergrad graduate studies, and if it's too good to be true, it probably is. And also you can speak with the Department of Informational Relations and Cooperation. They too, would have access to such information, as well as the Department of Basic Education and the Department of Higher Education and Training, and lastly the South African Qualifications Authority through the Council on Higher Education. So there are many sources that you can look at. You just have to make sure that you place yourself, don't be forced into doing anything, don't fall under the pressure of losing out. Just take your time and make sure that you are pursuing the right information that you got from legitimate sources like embassy government departs as well as your university alumni office or your school.
Speaker 1: And finally, quickly do me away from people find you.
Speaker 3: I am found at I E. Rose Bank College. You can You're not Google mean, you can find me if you do a Google search. My handle is to Lingosi across all social media platforms and on our LinkedIn, which is my preferred platform for anybody that wants professional advice and direction. It's too Lingosi, but otherwise you can call I E. Rosan College and ask pret Lingosie and I'll be more than happy to check.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: That's Domingosi from Rosebank College talking us through these international study scams.