Speaker 1: But they've been several stories over the last few weeks about problems at our airports. A couple of weeks ago you heard from the Airlines Association of Southern Africa. They explained that problems at airports were costing airlines of fortune. Planes were delayed, sometimes canceled. But you, as a passenger, what are your rights when this happens? Lindon Burns is managing director at Plane talking Lindon, good evening, what happens to passengers, particularly when a flight is delayed overnight? I mean, is there an obligation for the airline to provide them some kind of accommodation?
Speaker 2: It must cost a fortune, Hi, Steven, And to everyone who's listening, that's evening. The short there is no short answer. I was going to say the short answer is, but there isn't one. It depends on what's caused the delay, and it also depends on what type of ticket you've purchased. So if the delay is the result of something within the airline's control, you know, was it something that they caused to occur, then you could claim some form of compensation, and they may well need to provide compensation in the form of accommodation and meals if it's something that's not with parton me within the airlines control, if it's something, for example, a medical emergency that led to a delay or a weather delay, or like we're like we've been struggling with in South Africa at the moment with air traffic control problems and congestion in the skies that are resulting in a lot of delays, and today and yesterday our Tambo with congestion a security lanes resulting in some flights being delayed. So those know they're Unfortunately, passengers aren't entitled a compensation from an airline. You're pretty much on your own in that respect, and the airlines don't get any compensation from the airport or the navigation service or anybody else either. You're kind of all in the same boat. The real thing, though, is my best advice, and I'm not a lawyer, but that is always familiarized yourself with the terms and conditions of your ticket. If you bought your ticket in South Africa, you may be entitled to one set of compensation. If you bought your ticket in the USA, you might be entitled to a very different set of compensation. Compensations even though you might be traveling on the same flight and sat next to each other. Sure, Also, if you'd bought your ticket through a travel agent, you might be entitled a different compensation too if you bought your ticket directly from the airline. And especially look out for those bucket shop airlines and the bucket shop travel agencies and the online agencies and things like travel Pedia and booking dot Com. Not to say that those things are wrong or there's anything wrong with them. You're getting a discount, but you're getting a discount because there may be constraints in terms of compensation.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I was thinking of what happened over Qatar when Israel and Iran we're attacking each other in the sky. Basically the skies were closed, right, and you would have had tens of thousands of people at a very very big airport, but a lot of people. The airlines could do nothing about it. You would get no compensation, I presume, And this your travel insurance. That's a whole different story. And you also have all of these people stuck in one place. I mean, how does an airline even begin to manage something so complex as that?
Speaker 2: So, first of all, the airport would have gone out of their way as well to try and accommodate. You don't want to have a public health emergency development either, So airports are meant to have emergency plans for those kind of contingencies, and the airlines, generally, if they can, in a situation like that, would try to alleviate any stress. You know, I don't think airlines are you go out of their way to upset their customers or to alienate them, you know. And in a case like that with Katid, wasn't just the fact that you had tens of thousands of people stuck in one airport. You also had people stuck at other destinations or being diverted to other airports and other countries right across that airline's network, across the entire Katar Airways network, which is you know, it's quite a complex and comprehensive web of destinations, and so it took a couple of days to clear. But in those sort of instances, there really is nothing that in terms of compensation. It's a case of, you know, nobody foresaw that happening. It's just one of those things. Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's funny because there are certain flights. You always knew with an airline. I won't mention the name that don't exist anymore, but you just knew on a Friday that everything was going to be delayed. Now that I would presume is because of them, not because of the airline, especially if their competitors are actually taking off fun time. So could you if you can into a dispute with an airline about that, would you be able to say, well, all of your competitors were able to talk take off fun time, It must have been new.
Speaker 2: You would have to have sufficient proof to be able to raise that kind of dispute with the airline or with your travel agent. You know it, certainly you know something that people have done before, especially if you can show that you know other carriers were operating and operating on time. The other thing to remember, though, is that when we talk about a delay, a delay generally is something beyond fifteen minutes, So anything up to fifteen minutes doesn't really classify as a delay. We really only start talking about compensation after two to three hours of a delay, and even then, your terms and conditions of carriage may qualify or dis qualify you from certain levels of compensation. Or any compensation at all.
Speaker 1: There are other things, and I mean what we're starting to see it seems to be happening in South African airports quite often. So access charging airlines fees is an airport tax on plane tickets. I have to kind of ask where the money has been going of Suddenly we have maintenance issues and issues. I don't know if it's maintenance, I don't know what it is an airport us do you know what it is?
Speaker 2: So I'm so glad you raise that because I actually raised the exact same question with the Transport Minister this morning and her media briefing in Parliament, because we've been saying, hang on, you know, we're all paying these user charges, whether it's to AX or to the air Traffic Navigation Service, and they're always you know, clients that don't have enough money, We pay them a lot. But we seem to think that, you know, well, I experience tells us that actually the service levels have been declining, but the costs are going up, and so where's the money being spent? A very good question. I didn't get a clear answer from the minister other than you know, she walked into an inherited the situation. She's appalled by it and is now trying to put in place measures to hold people accountable and to provide some sort of transparency on that. But you know, we'll wait and see.
Speaker 1: I presume that when an airline runs late and it does not pay a compensation to passengers because it's not their fault, the airline is still losing money.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, you know, for an airline, the pressure, the most precious thing upon from customers for an airline is at schedule and integrity of that schedule, because that speaks to the credibility of the airline and it's and what it's offering and what it's selling. You know, you don't go into a fruit and bed shop to go and buy frog veggies, and yet the second most perishable item you can buy isn't is you know, or that is for sale at least there's an aircraft seat. And if that's not taken up in the market by the time that the door closes, that perishes very quickly. And similarly, customer confidence perishes and the roads very fast. If you can't proven and maintain your schedule and your schedule integrity.
Speaker 1: The other thing that sort of sometimes I think kind of astonishes me with airlines is that you can have planes from a smaller airport are being delayed or canceled and there is no other way. I mean, you think Happington is sort of a very long way away from Johannesburg. There's I think one or two flights a day. If you get stuck there, you are really stuck.
Speaker 2: You are and you know again, I think airlines do their best to try and help their passengers to get to where they've got to get to, or to the nearest next point. This has happened before. We've seen it places like Upington and Kimberley. There we've got an issue where the airports don't operate after hours because they don't have sufficient fire and rescue. They've got enough fire and rescue resources to man one shift, the daylight shift, but not the evening. So you can't sharedule flights anymore in the evenings used to be able to before COVID, before all those firefighters took voluntary servance packages. And similarly, you might have other airports in the country that are just not equipped for night time operations, and if you have a delay, it is a problem. But there's really not a lot the airline can do in those circumstances.
Speaker 1: Lyndon Burns really appreciate the time, Thank you very much. Indeed, managing director at plane talking you through your rights if something does go wrong on a flight.