Speaker 1: It is thirteen minutes to three o'clock. Now, if you are a lover of music, you're in for a treat. Multi award winning artist, composer and producer man Dec d'antis's returning to the stage at this time. He's bringing something really special. Known for his electrifying performances and unique fusion of jazz, Western, classical, and African sounds, and you c is taking things to a whole new level level next weekend, two nights only, only two nights, Mandyci will be performing with the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra and a spectacular concert titled Symphonic Celebration. And it's all happening at the Artscape. And that is the eleventh and twelfth of July. Man Dec, good to have you with us this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me. Good afternoon.
Speaker 1: How did this incredible collaboration with the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra come about?
Speaker 2: How it was always coming? You know, it's always hard to put this together. We needed to be ready with the music, you know, because it's a to arrange it and in this manner takes some time. But also they needed to be ready with time and just being keen and doing it. It's something that I've always wanted to do. It's always hard to work with orchestras, and because they're busy, and they're expensive and all of those things. But after we spoke to them, actually they came to us at the time when when we're thinking of going to them, you know, as these things always happen, and and and and so now we're here and walk away from from it happening.
Speaker 1: And it's called symphonic Celebration, which sparks an awful lot in one what does that name mean to you personally and musically?
Speaker 2: It really is a celebration of where we started, you know, in the in a lot of people who know our music know that we started playing for fifty people, sixty people, you know, even thirty people instead of playing in small venues around Cave Town. And we've own around the country with people supporting us and loving the music and what we were bringing. And so this especially with the two albums, previous albums, So Mancha and Dwaka, you know, we've been walking the journey with the audiences and and and in these nights we celebrating that, you know, to say, look, look where we are. You know, a sort of a look mom I made it type moment.
Speaker 1: Wow Wow, How how has it felt hearing your music reimagined with a with a sixty five piece symphony behind you?
Speaker 2: It is it is spec petular, you know, more than me. The the core band that I play with, which is five or six people, and and each and every one of them called me and they said, wow, We've never thought and I was. I was happy because they were impressed even more, you know, I just got scared and I got chills in my in my spine when when I heard it, and and even now I'm looking at the music and thinking, how did we get here? You know, I used to look at this music and written for five five piece and now it's written for sixty two piece orchestra, you know, full on orchestra, and and and everyone is involved. You know, it's really really, really really written for the orchestra. It's not like the orchestra is is just an edit, aren't. Yes, Yes, we've reimagined. Yes, we've reimagined the music. So what's going to be interesting for me is seeing the audiences and listening to it like like they're listening to it for the first time. You know, there's things that they will gravitate to ards, but there's things that were really new to them, you know, in terms of how the music has been put on you.
Speaker 1: It's going to be remarkable, as you say, to have for you as a performer and as a composer to to hear that, and for audiences as well. But what exactly can audience is expect on the night without giving too much away, are they going to be hearing newial? Can they also look forward to some favorites from from Somandra? What what can I look forward to?
Speaker 2: No, definitely, definitely favorites from some Mandra and Taka, because it's it's about that. It's about the celebration of those two albums. But also we are moving forward very I think this is the year where wed we add the next chapter, which is in Cambu. Lula will be going in the studio very soon after these concerts, and so we will there'll be a sneak preview of that as well, which which is also exciting. You know, to hear these songs that have not really been released and played in this in in this manner is actually a tough task. I was like, no, we made them because now the audiences might expect them like this. You know. I was just like, you know what, you only live once. Let's do it, you know, let's just play them. So it's it's going to be that it's a celebration of the two albums. But we need to look forward. Now.
Speaker 1: Talk to me a little bit. You say that you're going to be going back in to the studio. I imagine that must require two very different mindsets to move between live performance, particularly a performance like this, which is so vast to the intimacy and intricacy of studio.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for that question. Oh I'm so happy to ask you that, because that is exactly what I've been going through for the past three months. Literally, I have to divide my day into two, so two when at nine o'clock, from nine o'clock to two o'clock, it's that the symphony works. And then from two o'clock I forget about it and I go into this. I got into this, and then I write all these songs that I've written so far, and there's about eighteen twenty three of them, and I go no. Unit twelve, at least eleven of them, and then and then that happens, and then it's just you know, and then and then I have to go, no, remember why you were the songs? Why did you write the songs? You're not part of the songs. You didn't compose the songs. You were given the songs. Sure, you know, there for a reason, and they have a certain message. Stop putting yourself in the center, you know, and so and so all of that intense emotional work that is required for you to be honest, you know, in the in the music is what I've been doing on the other side, and also having to learn this music for and so, yeah, it's a very interesting time.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating to me that you say that these aren't your songs and that they're gifted to you. And I think what you almost become the conduit, the vessel, right, And I think that is that is that it's incredibly humble, but it's an incredibly beautiful way of viewing it. And so, going back to the Philharmonic, I wonder, how how do you release music to a collective that began with the individual? Is there a do you just have to get to a point where you say I give it to you.
Speaker 2: You have to It's like it's you know what they say when you're when you're running, they say, look look down, don't don't look back, you know, just concentrate on each and on one step at a time. And that's what I do. I I believe that I'm I'm diligent enough, and I work hard, and I try my best to listen to the messages that come and portray them as best at that as I can. And so I don't worry about how, you know, the other things happen, because I think that all of those things are in the process. How the audiences receive the music is based on how honest I am in delivering it, you know, and how you know, how hard we work as a collective, you know, in order for us to be ready, you know, on stage when we when seven o'clock or seven thirty hits, everyone is ready and they know they're there at least their parts, you know, and and and every and and then the magic happens in between that I am.
Speaker 1: So looking forward to coming and seeing the Magic Hatter. Folks, make sure that you get your tickets. Please web tickets for Mandy ci Dante's Symphonic Celebration, happening eleventh and twelfth of July. As I say, web tickets is where you need to head. It's been an absolute pleasure to have you on the show and thank you so much for your time this afternoon.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, thank you, thank you.