Speaker 1: Sarah Jane Laking talk every weekend morning.
Speaker 2: All right, sh Jay's topics is how we kick off the show every Saturday morning, and first up this morning, Beat Bangers DJ Academy's Lab Session is happening today. It's a free workshop designed for aspiring DJ, seasoned professionals and actually anyone who simply loves being where the music is alive and pumping. I'm delighted that joining me on the line with all the details is organizer Grandmaster DJ Ready do good to have you with us this morning. Thanks so much for making time why a free workshop of this nature.
Speaker 3: Good morning to you, and thank you so much for the opportunity to be on this show. The Lab Sessions, we have a long tradition were doing these workshops and these I would say, this programs in so many different communities. And because a lot of people know us of being entrenched within hip hop culture, that's also one of the important things as well. It's to go into communities and offer these workshops, and for us, it's also a great opportunity to bring together all these different communities as well, and also to create networking opportunities, especially for the young people. Because we have so many young DJs and they seem to look for more direction and within this space we bring together, you know, all these different personalities with different levels of experience, and it's also just a good space to be in for creatives within that ecosystem.
Speaker 2: Won't you just talk to us about some of the highlights. What can people expect if they come through to the session.
Speaker 3: Sure, I would say one of the bigg highlights is the fact that we're launching the new space as well. It's called a tiny Warehouse, and people will kind of get a sense of the space and what's the because it is a work in progress. We also speak about the different levels of technology that DJs use, everything from the turntables, you know, we come from the vinyl error. We also speak about how we integrate that with the digital technology that exists as well, and people will get to see, you know, and year some of that. People can also expect a few demos. And then we have a thirteen year old young man that we regard as a hip hop scratch genius. This young man is so far ahead of his time it is mind blowing. So people will have the opportunity to hear him play and also to hear him demos some of his really really interesting scratching routines, and then we will do Q and A sessions as well, and people will get to jam on some of the latest technology as well.
Speaker 2: And who are some of the other DJs involved. It's not just you heading out for workshelf, is it?
Speaker 3: No, we are collective s it's myself, it is DJ Azol. We also have DJ e twenty that's on board as well, another gentleman called Himid and he is pretty much involved with sound and audio technology and he is also an expert in this interface known as a record box. And then of course there's Malica Daniels as well. She is the wife and she is the BOS. She runs the whole operations. It's quite a huge collective. And then we also have a gentleman that owns the space and he's been involved from a distance because it works out in the Middle East. So yeah, there's a lot of moving parts and a lot of input from different people.
Speaker 2: And won't you just give us the address for where today's lab session is happening from eleven to one o'clock today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, correct, it is happening all the way out in Woodstock. The road is called a drag close. I always tell people, unfortunately somebody who's told the road side. But if you look for the space rather search for Poets Corner and it will bring you into the road. You can't miss it. You'll hear the music playing, you'll see the cars, and we'll be a lot of movement. And I don't think the weather's going to hold dijits back badges. Yeah, they'll come out in any weather. So we in Woodstock, Trackler Street or search for Poets Corner and you'll find us there. It's just of Albert Road and it's quite central though.
Speaker 4: Okay, fantastic stuff.
Speaker 2: DJ ready do what an absolute pleasure to have you on the show this morning to talk to us about the Beat Bangers DJ Academy Lab session happening today in Woodstock. Do pass the details on to anybody you think maybe interested in that. That is really you're getting some the finest DJ talent in South Africa.
Speaker 4: For free, all right.
Speaker 2: The Melletum Players are putting on a double bill of Geraldine Aaron's One act Place at the Milton Playhouse. Mickey Canis caught my eye and Bar and jerm don't know if I'm pronouncing that correctly. Are on until the twelfth of July. The director is Godfrey Johnson, who joins me on the line, now, good to.
Speaker 4: Have you with us, and morning to you.
Speaker 2: Tell us if I pronounced that Barr and jerb.
Speaker 1: Bar and Jee.
Speaker 5: So Barr is for Barry and ju is for Gerald Deane. So the names Barre.
Speaker 4: Both written in the seventies.
Speaker 2: These plays, without giving too much away, can you give us a synopsis of the place?
Speaker 5: Okay, very brief synopsis. So the first well, firstly, there one explet so they're not particularly long. The first one is slightly longer than the second one. Mickey Canas caught my eyes setting capt Town. Even though the writer is Irish born Irish, I mean she spent some time in cap time in the seventies. So it's about a slightly dysfunctional young couple and how they how they need to plan their future, how they need to done the eighties and the nineties and the future. So so it's a very kind of a personal a person a little bit of a personal insight into their relationship and about that. The young husband has dreams, he wants to be a superstar, and is it too late for him? Is he too old? And how are they going to now solve this dilemma? And remember it's set in the seventies, so it has already there's there's a whole different sort of political dynamic, et cetera, et cetera. So that that's the first one. The second one is is also biographical. It's about you know, Gerald Deane's relationship with the brothers. So it's very sweet, it's very heartwarming, very very sincere, and it's a story of loss, and there's a lot of humor in the writing. So it's not you know, it's not all depressing, but yes, and lovely little snippets into people's lives. Yes, what's the.
Speaker 4: What was Gerald Deane's connection to South Africa?
Speaker 5: I think she she was very interested in what was happening here to you in the theater world. And in fact, these players were performed at the Space Theater, which was the you know, the wonderful, exciting kind of sort of semi underground theater at the time where everybody performed and petered as and Paul Slavelevski and their players. I think she just enjoyed traveling. I think there was some sort of family connection in Cape Town, but she also spent time in Zambia and in Zimbabwe and various other African countries. So I think she was just yeah.
Speaker 4: Just had just had an interest and then just talk to us a little bit about the cast. Excuse me there the cast, who's who.
Speaker 5: Pass Well, they're lovely, lovely, lovely. There's a lovely actor, Gregan O'Hearn who plays Mickey Canis and he also plays bar And then we have Kendra Maduro who's absolutely gord the je Marie Squirt and Chris Cameron Doll. So it's four people, all four in the first piece and then two of them on the second piece because that's a two hander. They are just extraordinary young actors with you know, some have other jobs and two of them are professional performers who are constantly on stage. So it's a lovely combination of people. There's a lot of love, a lot of very positive energy, and it's just lovely, lovely and then different different, you know, each person has something very different to bring and that always makes for exciting theater and exciting art.
Speaker 2: You are running at the milnit And Playhouse until the twelfth of July. I gather, folks to God than thanks so much for joining us. Folks, if you want to get tickets, then Cuicket is where you need to head and tickets are one hundred and twenty rand each. And then finally, the Zecoplanetarium and Digital Dome is the most advanced digital planetarium on the planet and well on the African continent, should I say, And this world class facility creates a space of innovation and discovery where art, science and entertainment meet.
Speaker 4: And I'm delighted to say that Melody.
Speaker 2: Claiinsmith that joins me this morning to tell us what's on offer, not only this weekend but for the rest of the winter school holidays.
Speaker 4: Melody, good to have you with us.
Speaker 2: For those who haven't been, tell us a little bit about the Planetarium and Digital Dome.
Speaker 1: Good morning and hello Cape Town. Yes, Capetown's cosmic exploration station. We are ready for some astronomical adventures. The Zeka Planetarium and Digital Dome is an immersive, multi seen three sixty degree experience. It is how science, exploration and art meets right here in Cape Town. So we have a special holiday program scheduling planned for the winter holidays and every day from Tuesday until Sunday at ten thirty am, eleven thirty am, we have two kiddy shows. The first is called We Are Starts, and there we jet off on a space adventure worth exploring the universe. And then at eleven thirty we have a show called Accidental Astronauts and we join Psi and Annie and their curious dog Armstrong as they explore the Moon. And those are the two children's shows that we have during the swinter holidays. At one o'clock and at two o'clock we have two shows that are more gear towards the younger curious explorer and older individuals. And the first at one o'clock is called Mayan Archaeo Astronomy, and this is a visual exploration of the six Mayan temples and looking at the relationship between the it's astronomical knowledge and the history of ancient Maya. So that's the first show. Then for adults at one o'clock at two o'clock, we have a beautiful show called The Search for Life, and it finds a way in which to explore the questions that we often have, and it is narrated by Harrison Ford, and it allows us to travel from the depths of Earth, the Earth's ocean to exol planets and things. We usually cannot see.
Speaker 2: What sort of age group are we talking about Melody? From what age can we bring our young people to and explore the planetarium in digital dome.
Speaker 1: The planetarium is a really an immersive experience, and so children from the ages are five, I would say would be an appropriate age for the children's show. So the two morning shows we are Stars and Accidents or Astronauts are geared for children between the ages of five to twelve and the older shows or the shows that are in the afternoon are for child young people between the ages of thirteen. To tell you and I.
Speaker 4: Okay, fantastic stuff.
Speaker 2: And then in terms of tickets, we're happy to see that you have both international and local pricing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, So upon presentation of your ID or SA documentation, we have a family tickets and that is for two adults and two children, and that is two hundred and thirty rands. As an adult you would play ninety rand and for a child you would play first yerrand even our students South African students and pensioners can get these play firsty rand. And that is upon presentation of the student card or ID cards. Our international guests, thank you for visiting Ezco museums. They have to pay one hundred thirty rands for all categories visitors.
Speaker 4: Okay, wonderful stuff, Melody.
Speaker 1: Also, just one more thing. Enterance to the planetarium includes entrance to the South African Museum. And right now we have a series of new exhibitions in celebration of the museums two hundred year existence this year.
Speaker 4: Okay, wonderful stuff. Thanks very much.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Melody Clain Smith, who is from the EZEK Planetarium Digital Home telling us about what is on offer not just this weekend but for the rest of the winter school holidays.
Speaker 4: Go and pay them a visit.