Speaker 1: And now The Money Show with Stephen credits on seven oh two.
Speaker 2: Let's walk at all. The Money Show with Stephen Curtis has brought to you by Abscess CIB, proud sponsor of the Sorrow Rail Conference twenty twenty five, Powering Progress, Connecting Economies. Good evening, Welcome to the Money Show. I'm Stephen Curtis. Seven minutes after six the time this Friday evening, we'll be looking at toffee. I don't know when you last had a toffee, and I imagine I remember making toffee as a kid. It can't be that difficult to make coffee. To make toffee, keep wanting to say coffee toffee, and yet I think to make the country's best toffee is something very different. We'll be talking about that in about half an hour from now. Actually quite looking toward to that conversation on Friday. File before that, the situation at Ford looking quite serious. There are so many different transitions going on in the automobile industry at the moment. In the automotive sector, I should say Ford saying that they will let you will go in their officers. Their operations in Swan are so very very bad news there. We'll talk about that on the Money Show in a couple of moments. Big movements in the toy sector. Toys r US and babies are US are buying Toys Zone. There's something here about high frequency malls as they describe it, and Toys are US saying, it'll basically give them outlets in malls that have a lot more traffic, so more people going through I presume, bigger malls, and what that then does to the you know, number of sales that you get and the big advantages of that. So I think that could be quite an interesting conversation. Lots of conversations around whether or not the US could try and kick us out of the Swift network, you know, the Trump administration's view on us. We'll speak about that in ten minutes time as well before we move on to toffees. And don't forget the Friday biz blitz as well. You know the number no double one double A three seven two two one four four six, O five six seven and O seven two seven oh two one seven oh two. I was thinking a little bit about the electricity you heard it again in the EWN bulletin, and what a difficult financial mess this is becoming and it's not helped when people like nurser actually get it wrong. And I was suddenly thinking, after all of the conversations we've had about why it is that nursa makes mistakes, whether it is a mathematical mistake, I'm sure at some point someone is going to say to nursa, was there I don't know, political interference or something. I have no evidence on which debatese that no evidence that I can point to, But you've got to ask yourself why do you keep making mistakes? And within that is a much bigger problem. The kind of jaws of the problem, if I can describe it like that is as I understand it is basically this, over the years, ESKIM has not been getting enough money to actually make enough electricity what you would call, I suppose a cost reflective tariff. But now it's had to invest more and more over the years, but it's still not been getting enough money over the years, which means that debt goes up now when it tries to fix the problem and increase the pricing, and nurser shouts and everybody shouts. But as it does that people who can get out of escum, they make their own they do this they do that, they get soloed, they do whatever the companies get out of it. I mean, if you consider nor Them's electricity bills three billion rund in the last financial year, the moment they can get out of ESCUM, surely they will. And that just then shows you how the problem gets worse and worse and worse. And I cannot think of a solution. As William Zimavavi told us last night, people are cooking over fires again rather than using electricity. We're going backwards or because of the price. I don't know what the solution is. Double one three oh seven two two one four four six o five six seven Good Evening, it's ten minutes after six.
Speaker 1: Seven two.
Speaker 2: Is on the money shows six to eight pm. Well confirmation lady. Yesterday. Ford is retrenching quite a significant part of its workforce from its operations in Swane. Four hundred and seventy jobs are going. Warren Tucker is someone who watches the car industry very very closely. Warren Good Evening, Ford says, it's responding. I think the phrase they used was to the evolution of market demands. I don't even know what that means, but it seems to me that clearly something is shifting and they have to respond well.
Speaker 3: Those of us with very long memories good eating in student have We'll tell you that once upon a time the British motor industry rolled roost and it was this small upstart company called Toyota, another one called Datson, followed by an one called Honda, and they came in and basically decolated.
Speaker 4: The US motor industry.
Speaker 3: By building cheap, reliable little cars that would start every morning you go to work come back. You wouldn't be on the side of the road without over eating or electrical problems, all of those things. Fast forward. Now we've got a situation where you know you touched on it a couple of minutes ago, where electricity is so expensive in South Africa. We've gone from having some of the cheapest electricity in the world to having the most expensive electricity. Becomes very difficult for all these companies that are manufacturing to keep up and keep the costs down. In order for our country to manufacture and manufacture competitively, you need cheap electricity, you need a good logistics system to get underals to and from port, and you need cheap steel to manufacture.
Speaker 4: These vehicles and unfortunately we've kind of passd ourselves out of the market.
Speaker 2: It keeps going back to the same thing. Someone somewhere is going to blame us tariffs for Ford's decision, but actually it's us.
Speaker 4: No, the chickens have come on through. Let's put it, let's call a spider.
Speaker 3: Spider. We've got a government that's not interested in sorting out or helping the industries grower. You've got a situation where we've let everything fall apart so bad that now, like I said, electricity is so expensive. Think about this. When we had load shedding, all the factories in Utnape had to go out by generators use diesel to generate power. I mean that all comes at a cost. So those costs need to get passed on somewhere. They can't just be absorbed by the company forever.
Speaker 1: And those all.
Speaker 3: Those small things have a knock on effect and eventually we end up for the problem we have now where companies are saying, listen, there's cheaper markets for us to produce our vehicles. There's company there's markets with cheaper electricity. They don't have all these logistical issues. So you know what, we're going to move that way, the alarm should have gone gone off when BMW took.
Speaker 4: The three series BMW, which is their bread and.
Speaker 3: Butter, right, they shall three series all over the world. When they took that away from us and said, now, okay, we'll take the three series to America. You guys produce the X three, then the alarm should have gone off then, and they already.
Speaker 2: Are we going to see more of this? Warren? I mean, we don't really know what's going to happen. There are there's so many different transitions underway in this industry at the moment. I mean, on one level, Tartar of coming back. More Chinese models are coming into South Africa. I realized that Fords specifically are really in the kind of backy and suv market nowadays. But I can't help but wonder if this is just the beginning.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you're right. Look at the end of the day, there's a lot of models that we stopped getting in this country. Okay. South Africa used to be that country where we had I mean, manufacturers made special cards just for us. That's how hungry our market was for vehicles.
Speaker 4: They don't do that anymore.
Speaker 3: They sell into our market. What they think will sell, and that's that. I'll give you an idea. I'll use them as to buy examples for you. Always ask the guy that Kawasaki. I said, but how come we don't get these specific models and you're only bringing this range. And the guy basically said to me, well, what's up? Africa buys in a year, they're selling the US in a month. Sure, so our market is just not important to them.
Speaker 2: Warren Taka, thank you so much. As you can tell someone who watches the motor industry very very closely, it's just going to call a bus six The.
Speaker 5: Money Show on seven.
Speaker 2: Monday till Friday six to a pm for confirmation this week that the deal between Toys r US and Babies Are Us has now been able to buy the thirteen outlets of toy Zone based in Kateng and Durban. Particularly Doctor Pumlam Ganga is the chair of Toys r Us and Babies are Us. Pumla, good evening and thank you for your time on The Money Show. I do appreciate it. What's the reasoning behind the deal? Why do you believe it's a good for you to buy these thirteen branches of toy Zone.
Speaker 5: Good evening, Stephen, and thank you for the opportunity to share how excited we are with this landmark acquisition. Essentially, if you look at where our current business footprint is, it is mainly in the main regional and the national malls in South Africa. The acquisition of toys On was really intended to extend a geographic footprint into mainly the strip malls. In the first instance, because the strip malls offer convenience, they offer more choice, and they offer ease of access for our target customer and this is something that we feel is important in this particular market segment, and so the importanting of our footprint into the strip mall was a major consideration. The second consideration was the infusion of the baby offering. So toys On is appear a toy play and our intention is to obviously infuse the baby offering to our target customers in that way. They the target customer which is the parent in most instances, but it's actually everybody, the parent, the grandparent, the mom, the child. It's almost every age category has that convenience. So our intention is to infuse the baby into the offering so that the customer has got that broad choice so they can go to the mall. Alternatively, they can go to the strip mall to purchase our offering.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you from LA I'm the number of times in my life I've had to rush around with one or both of my children and stop at a toy store to get something for another child, for a party or something. It's all about parking. So I hear you on the strip malls they do make it easier.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, that is so delighting to hear, because you know, if you, I mean, think about it this way. Let's say you're coming to buy a pram or you're coming to buy a car seat. I mean, parking is major and that's what St. Paul's give us. So I'm so excited to hear that. Obviously you have that direct experience, because that's precisely what the strategic intent was.
Speaker 2: Are you going to change the products on offer? I mean, I presume you'll rebrand and everything will be Toys Toy Zone. The Toy Zone brand will I presume will disappear. But are you going to be selling exactly the same products. Are you're going to make major changes apart from bringing in the baby side of things.
Speaker 5: Well, I think we already thought that toys On was a good offering. So the idea is simply to infuse the baby and also obviously some of the lines that are distinctly ours and so we will infuse those into the product range.
Speaker 2: Okay, how is the toy market generally? Now? There's certain things about babies and children that you're always going to do. You are always going to buy nappies, if there is a baby around, you are always going to buy. I mean, I can't tell you how many millions of baby wipes you're going to buy, but you're going to buy them. You're going to say you won't, but you will. You're also going to buy very cheap things, you know, the sort of five rand twenty rand kind of piece of plastic for you know, for a stocking or something over Christmas or whatever it is. But the more expensive toys do people still have money for them when you consider how tough things are right now?
Speaker 5: You know the reason why we are embarking on this strong cat strategy is because we believe that this market is very buoyant. And interestingly enough, what we found is that in South Africa, whether you're a parent in the Santin or you're a parent in a sabielgana in case it in. You have aspirations for your child. You want to buy the best for your child, whether you're a grandparent or an aunt or an uncle or even a direct parent. And so for us, it's a very buoyant market. It's growing, The growth numbers are very positive. So we wouldn't be investing in this growth strategy if we didn't believe in the future of this market. We believe that it's positive both in Africa and internationally. And I think that what we have, what we are offering here is the opportunity now for our customers to have more optionality, more convenience and broad more range and more depth. We very optimistic about the market segment.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Indeed, doctor pumlam Ganga is the chair of Toys r US and Babies are Us Twenty minutes now after six.
Speaker 5: The Money Show explainer.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've seen quite a bit of commentary and some of the commentary has been very concerned suggesting that South Africa could lose access to the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication. You might be asking yourself, what is the Society for World Bank for worldwide interbank financial communication. If you look on your bank card, if you still have one, and it's not just on your phone, you'll know it as the Swift system. The main reason we've had all of this concern is because of the issues around our relationship with the US. Well today, the National Treasury saying this was on fin thirty four, that they see virtually no chance we could be kicked out of swift. Frederick Mitchell is the chief economist at a Luma Capital. Frederick good Evening. The Swift system, I mean, who gets to decide who's in it and who isn't because they were pretty quick to kick the Russians out when it suited them.
Speaker 6: Well, good evening to all the listeners. Mostly it's the US who call the shots that you say in who's on the system and who's lot And it's been administered in Brussels, in Europe and in the US, so it's basically international banking system, and our transactions are cleared internationally in our funds or flowing between countries and makes it easier to do international trade and in investments.
Speaker 2: I mean with Russia, the US, yes, and the EU pretty much agree that they were against Russia. It's a bit more complicated with US anyway, isn't.
Speaker 6: It kind of?
Speaker 3: Because we had some great relationship with the Europeans and we have some new deals with them, trade deals, and it's a relationship with the US that's coming under pressure. But we know if the US does a problem with the country, they tend to pressure the European allies to follow suits. So that's giving us kind of a headache at the stage.
Speaker 2: Do you think the National Treasury is right when they say they see virtually no chance that would that we could be kicked out? I mean, I must say, to pick on one country and to throw them out of swift, just kind of out of spite because we haven't really done anything, I mean, would be astonishing.
Speaker 6: Well, it's difficult to say if it's just out of spies. Must we must go and look at South Africa's actions, say collectively internationally, how we've aligned with let's say US interests over the last say, fifteen to twenty years. And we know what the trend has been, and the US has not been taken kind to it, even under the Biden administration. And we know the travel deministration is very proactive in terms of getting the America first agenda across to the public, and if so, I think it does cross the line, which is I feel they will act with the severe punishment to countries that doesn't play state ball according to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, there's such a big debate to have around all of this, I presume if it happened, so this would be the worst case scenario if we were kicked out of SWIFTED, what have a big impact on us where we don't have the same financial resilience as Russia.
Speaker 4: The thing with Russia is we look at a country.
Speaker 6: That let's say it's got huge oil and gas reserves that the Europeans are dependent on, and they struggle to be a couple from a couple of that is the notion that we know Russia the nuclear superpower. To that I think gives us an idea that Russia does have some aces up the sleeves to play along with the waste and now they can handle them. But so South Africa, we are a small, open economy and we don't have a let's say, a loaded gun in terms of let's say oil and gas to the West seat, and that's putting us quite in a bit of a different posision than they say the Russians, it's doing comparable situations. To be honest.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean we have golden platinum, I suppose, but it's not quite the same thing. It's also harder to get it out of the ground for us at the moment, I presume quite a lot of functionality that we've become used to would simply just stop working.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a big problem. It's not only it's not really international trade in terms of goods and services or let's say good's being important and exported. It's also in the business and also our debt. We we've got a small percentage that's like in dominated denominated in U years or foreign currencies. Most of our datas in lit'sa around. But if you lose actually to the surf and they push as ants means that let's say foreign countries, especially European, and they'd say you this is for that matter, can't in this is African bonds, So that bonds will then have to be taken up by the local institutions, which you will put financial strain in risk within now within this African market. And and and that's something that we can't really afford the stage.
Speaker 2: Frederick Mitchell thanks very much. Indeed, chief economist, that's a lumic capital. Will you heard his view? The National Treasury believes there's virtually no chance of it happening. I mean my own view, n it's maybe not particularly informed. But if this is what the US is going to do to US, I presume they're going to do it to every country that they don't like. And it's not like we've declared war on an ally or anything like that, so in a way it would be quite extreme. But who knows. We are, as you know, in very strange times. I know you have a view on that or no double one double A three seven two two one four four six five sixty seven. The money show the market. The governor is the portfolio manager at Rand Swiss viv good evening. We should probably start with Northern Platinum Platinum. They had their results out today and despite as slightly higher will quite a significantly higher platinum price over the period, as still not able to make as much money as they need.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Look, I mean this is obviously a situation.
Speaker 1: In which these companies are in the situation where they're looking a lot stronger than they were just a little while ago. I mean, the tract and prices recovered quite nicely, and you would expect, you know, in that scenario that these companies would be seeing some you.
Speaker 4: Know I movements coming through obviously you know it.
Speaker 1: Jumping them out of bits. But unfortunately nor theman is posting, like you said, it's profit to drop because of higher costs, and that isn't think it's quite disappointing. I mean, they had high price, they had record sales volumes, but yet we are seeing, you know, it will cost basically jumping up eight point one percent, which is obviously above vinimplations in Africa at the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a big part of that was electricity. So yesterday Nicko Muller, who's the as you know as this, the CEO at Implats, he told us on the Money Show he was quite optimistic about the platinum price. I think the phrase they used was they see it as being supportive for the next eighteen months. Paul done At at Northern Platinum not nearly so confident over the shorter term. He is over the longer term, but over the shorter term he doesn't necessarily see a higher platinum price.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I think it's a it's a difficult thing. To look at because for the longest time, platinum has been driven by this demand by you know, the catalyg of birts basically await can the engines of petrol and diesel vehicles platinum platinum banal as a whole. Unfortunately, you know, EV's coming to places. That's going to be diminishing of the long long term unfortunately for platinum makers, but probably good for the world because it probably means it's a healthier environment out the would less pollution, and so they have to pry other alternatives to this thing. Also, we look, we have you know, increased recycling, we have efficiencies in comporum, the cetical pursose, this was an industry that was not going to be supportable of the pession but indefinitely to the future. That being said, you know, platinum is an alternative to gold. You know, the goal prices you all know has gone up quite strongly over the last little while, and so I do think that if we do see goal prices continuing to rise, I would expect clactum prices in a cuddenly to at least follow that, at least partially just because of the substitution effective things that jewelry et cetera.
Speaker 2: In the US, Lisa Cook, the US Federal Reserve Bank governor, that the US President Donald Trump says he's fired her. She's obviously gone to court to say no at issue. It's quite a strange thing in the US. But if you have two properties, and when you get the mortgage, if you put on one of them that this is your primary residence, you get a slightly better deal than if you say it's an investment property. As I understand the claim against her, there are two properties she bought pretty close together. This was before she became a public official, and she put primary residents on both of them. And I think that's something like thirteen cases that have ever been prosecuted during the last year or something. It's incredibly rating in the prosecution and what is really playing out here, it's.
Speaker 1: Just too many case, you'd say the following. First, the Donald Trump was accused of a similar crime, obviously for commercial reason as opposed to private reasons. But he basically also give incorrect information two lenders around loans, you know, for his buildings. And what happens in this scenario is that the idea is that the bank is effectively being a price and by lying to the bank, you are stealing like to the bank and defrauded the bank, you know, because the bank is he had it known the full information that he wanted to know, would get a bit of more money from you because of that, you know, the high interest rate that's obviously income for the bank. And the other part of it would be that despite the fact that this happened before she was a public official, one of the strongest you know it features of a central bank is his reputation and integrity. There's a reason that they say this these banks are basically you know, independent and so on. Is because a lot of the the strength of forslf In Reserve Bank is our belief that Fiaco is a very hornorriable, you know, strong leader and that he would stand up to political pressure that kind of stuff, and he's not going to be corrupted and whatnot, and that obviously feeds into the same idea. On the other hand, like you said, it's a very very you know, it's like basically accusing somebody of a crime out of jaywalking and then you lose your job because of that. It's a very not quite as bad as that, but it is a very long stretch. But what I think the most important fact is that the reasoness comes up is I think that the Trump administration wants to move this governments with the ms of the Reserve, who are basically likely to go against these bushes, which is to basically decrease interest rates. And if he's doing it to one, he's probably had people searching for every one of these guys that he's against him. And I wouldn't be surprised they do dig up something because you know, as the Soviets is to say, show me the man, I'll show you the crime. Very few people are able to get by without absolutely you know, a spotless record in the history.
Speaker 2: Sure, And I mean he has control of the tax the tax authority. I mean there are sorts of things that could come out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, most certainly. I mean the dependant is incredibly powerful. Maybe he points people like the head of the FBI. The FBI can find a lot of stuff out if they wanted to. He has obviously controller in terms of taxes, but you know, just the lloy enforcement body to mean, but the part of justice can go after you for a number of different things. And like I said, I mean if you look at the the he could be someone any.
Speaker 3: One of us.
Speaker 1: If somebody was to follow us for a month before find something, we'd literally be like, you know, it's not coming to a crew stop and stop street. There'll always be something that you can find if you really really look hard.
Speaker 2: We're all looking at our phones while we're driving the Governed. That thanks very much, indeed, portfolio manager at rand Swiss. Just after six thirty, All the Money Show with Stephen krutis live on ninety two point seven and one WHO six FM, streaming on the Prime.
Speaker 5: And DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 2: On the next Money Show, the chief executives of Bidvest, the country's largest employer, the short term insurance Sunter and the maker of Bobtail, Yum, Young Peanut butter and five Star maize meal RCL Foods. They'll take you through their company's results. We'll discuss the business of farming worms and bugs with the Snethlan Maduna, co founder of S and P Organic Products. Also analysis of all the top business news of the day.
Speaker 5: The Money Show, The Friday File, The Friday File.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if you've ever bitten to something or smelt something and you've suddenly taken back to a moment in your child. Maybe it's a toffee apple, or a particular type of chewing gum or something. But I often think if someone can harness that, if they can give you something better than anyone else can give it, that maybe takes you back a little bit, or they're going to print a fortune. Someone who's done that pretty well is Swatland Kitchen, to make toffees and rusks and granola. I suppose you'd call it good old fashioned natural stuff. Fritz fan Reinfeldt is a co founder of Swartlant Kitchen. Fritz, Good Evening. I read somewhere that your business pretty much started with toffee. Now you have a very different background. How did you get into the toffee business.
Speaker 5: Good Evening.
Speaker 7: Indeed, it did start with to toffee. It started and Darling Sweet started in twenty thirteen twenty fourteen, when you're hinty and myself lived in Darling and decided we're going to launch a toffee brand and sell it from Darling. As Darling it's a lot of tourists and there was nothing sweet to take home, And what is sweeter than taking a real, traditional, old fashioned, handcrafted toffee home to your loved ones or to yourself.
Speaker 2: There's something about toffee because a lot of people give chocolate, and I mean there's so much sort of chocolate in the world, or that they used to be until the price got too expensive. Toffee, though, I presume it keep better. I imagine it's actually better for you. It's also rarer. So does all of that make it a good gift?
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 7: I think toffee is robust so it can travel, but it is. It is something that needs our range, is very hand crafted. It's really made the old phasianed way, like your Omar would have made it with top ingredients. So I do think it is a fantastic present, and it lasts longer in your mouth as well.
Speaker 2: I imagine it's pretty easy to make an ordinary toffee, And when I was at primary school, I made a very ordinary toffee for its But you produce extraordinary toffee. What makes it better? I mean, is it the quality of the ingredients? Is their skill? I don't know, do you have a special escum rate or something?
Speaker 7: I wish now, the big secret, I would say, is the best ingredients. There's no shortcut. If you want to produce a good product. The best ingredients available, and then to figure out figure out hinty. Hinty is the the he designs the toffees and the recipes, and it mustn't just be sweet, it.
Speaker 4: Must be exciting.
Speaker 7: It Misha a different a different flavor profile. So so yes, so, but I would say the best is ingredients and the hand craftedness.
Speaker 2: So I mean, I know that there's a lot of sugar and toffee, but what else goes into it?
Speaker 7: Well, sugar goes into it, butter goes into it, and condensal goes into it. And then the flavorings like we've got a bird's actually toffee or whatever that we add.
Speaker 2: The real thing.
Speaker 7: We don't add something that tastes like birds. Actually, we add the real McCoy.
Speaker 2: You also make rusks, and I have to say, there are moments in my life when I would I would consider myself a connoisseeur of rusks, you know, something of an expert. I mean, I'm not being entirely serious, but if I like to go camping with friends and family and all the rest, nothing better than making up, coming out of the tent, having a good old fashioned yawn, spending an hour making coffee, and then sitting down with the rusk. Now, again, there are plenty of ways to make very ordinary rusks. I imagine with your rusks it's the same thing. The quality of the ingredient.
Speaker 7: Yes, the quality of the ingredients of Swatlant kitchen rusks and cookies. That's that's so important. And also baking it the real traditional way as it was one hundred years ago. Maybe we've got electricity now. One hundred years ago we also probably had, but baking it the real way and making it by hand. I think also taking no shortcuts producing a top quality product does does does give you a product with top flavors?
Speaker 2: Do you put more ingredients in?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: I mean with a rusk you could put in a sultana or a raisin or something. I suppose if you want it. I mean, does that make it? And you can also this You've got a wide range of flavors. You can go from ginger to sort of plane, to a buttermilk to whatever. And that must give you quite a lot of scope.
Speaker 7: Yes, I think. I think the opportunities for ingredients in rusks is endless. South Africans do tend to like traditional flavors like buttermilk, and then the normal breakfast rusk, but but adding we recently launched a sunflower and sesame rusk which is going down extremely well. And that's just that flavor of the systemI just makes it amazing.
Speaker 2: I mean it's rusks and toffee. Are there things where you can you know, come up with new recipes forever? I mean you can keep changing your range and you know have a season of this sort of season of that. I mean, is there that much scope for it?
Speaker 4: I think the tern fictionary market in South Africa.
Speaker 7: Is huge and I think there's a lot of scope. There's a lot of scope for a hand crafted product that people understand, the love and the time that goes into it. And the same with Russ. Our Russ are baked at if he does a paran in Darling, which also gives it a geographical point. I'm going to tell you a top secret something that you may please not till anybody, but the name of Swatron Kitchen we're going to change to if he does a paran next year, as it is baked in this iconic place of South African history and Russ is something that all South Africans have in common. That's one thing every all South Africans know so yes, so if it does. The paran rugs are coming soon, but currently it's still Swatron Kitchen as it's baked in the Swartland.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you about the location of Darling. I mean, I've been past it and done what everybody does. Stand with my wife next to the next to the sign that says Darling, take a picture and go back to Cape Town. And that was just because you know, time there's a plane or something. But is there something about the about town that allowed you enabled you to do this? You made the point a lot of tourists go through it. They're kind of wanting to spend money. They're in the mood, they're looking for things like the things you sell. But I don't know if you're what I suppose. What I'm asking is, do you think your business would have worked somewhere else? I don't really know. I don't really know if it would have.
Speaker 7: Look, I think it's all in the name, or a lot of it is in the name. Darling is such a wonderful name to name to use in one's business. But Darling's position is fantastic, as it's eighty kilometers north of Cape Town en route to the West Coast, so it gets a lot of traffic passing by. And you know, we've got flower season now and the flowers are absolutely beautiful. So a lot of tourists are coming into Darling to visit Darling and to see what's what Darling has got to offer. And there we are very grateful to to have swats On Kitchen currently, I bespur on and then Darling's Suite and the tasting rooms and people come and visit and they can see our products and where it's made. So I do think our town has had a huge part in the success of Darling Sweet as well as Swatland Kitchen.
Speaker 2: Are you able to use your businesses there to sort of help the community. You know there's a lot of unemployment in most parts of the country. I mean, are you able to to use it to leverage it in that way as well?
Speaker 7: One of our main aims is job creation. When Hinty and I started the business in twenty fourteen, we we said one of our main aims job job, job creation. That's why we make a handcrafted product. And we truly started with one full time and one half day staff member and we we're proud to say we've got city three staff members currently from all you know, all walks of life, and we incredibly proud of our teams as they develop and as we grow together and work as a team. So I think job creation is something that we very much part of for the community.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a lot of rusks and toffees that you're selling to employ thirty three people.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you, I guess it is.
Speaker 7: But we do go but further Field and Darling. So we've got an online store and we also supply to independent stores and some smaller retailers and gifting gift gifts gifting stores.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, I'm sure. Do you see much scope for a kind of international audience. I mean, you're a company making something in a small place with a wonderful name. I mean, do you sort of get into the sort of e commerce market, maybe get some inquiries from I don't know, the UK, I'd say the US, but then you have to send it to the postal system, and no one wants to send things to the US anymore because it's very complicated and messy. But I mean, are you looking at that international.
Speaker 4: Market, Yes, we are.
Speaker 7: Exports isn't as easy and up until COVID, we were quite busy with exports, but after COVID we still we still do export. Africa is a wonderful, full place and there's a lot of money. There's a lot of potential in South Africa and in Africa I mean, but also Australia, New Zealand, the Americas. So there's yeah, there is cope, but it is a different ballgame. You need to focus on export.
Speaker 2: Fritz, it was great to talk to you, and thank you very much. And can can I ask you a personal favor if you'll just say hello to Tony Evita for me please.
Speaker 1: I will do that.
Speaker 7: I'm seeing her tomorrow, she's on stage at twelve o'clock. I will send him send.
Speaker 2: Her your love, please. I haven't spoken to her for a long time. Fritz, I really do appreciated. Fritz from Reinafelt is the co founder of what is still for now called the Swachtland Kitchen. But of course, in a Money Show exclusive, you heard it's changing its name. Seven it's on the Money Show six to eight pm. All right, Oh double one double A three oh seven O two two one four four six O five six seventh time Now for the Friday Biz. Let's there are plenty of questions to come. You know how it works. We ask you a question. If you get it right, we move on to the next question. If you get it wrong, we move on to the next caller. First question on the Friday BIS Blitz tonight, Lisa Cook is the governor of which bank? Lisa Cook is the governor of which bank? Oh double one double a three seven oh two o two one four four six oh five six seven.
Speaker 5: The Money Show Friday bus Blitz.
Speaker 2: First question on the Friday BIS Blitz Tonight, Lisa Cook is the governor of which bank? Oh double one double A three seven o two two one four four six five six seven of which bank is Lisa Cook the governor. Questions two around swifties and question around first rand and something about the toy industry. You heard earlier about the toy industry. It's really all about parking and actually getting into strip mares very very quickly. You don't want to go if you have to go and get a toy. You don't want to have to go and get parking in a ticket and this and of that, and go up three floor and take your child past other stores. You just want to get the one thing, So we'll ask a question about that. But first the first question is Lisa Cook is the governor of which bank? And that is the first question tonight on the Friday bis Bilitz. And of course it is someone who, as you know, has been in the news for all sorts of reasons, and in fact that governor was talking about it a little earlier. Here's a pretty dark prediction about what is going to happen around sort of Lisa Cook and how things are going to play out with that particular bank. You know which bank. I'm sure you know which bank it is. But the first question is Lisa Cook is the governor of which bank? And you know the number double one double a three seven o two and two one four four six five six seven. Questions also to come about the IDC, the Industrial Development Company, and then the very strange things that have been happening in the United States around a particular company, which I thought was very interesting. But our first question is Lisa Cook is the governor of which bank? On O double one double a three seven oh two and two one four four six five six seven, And of course that is the first question that we have tonight on the Friday bis Blitz. There are plenty of questions to come, don't forget best. But we'll be starting for you in a couple of moments as well, after the news, and there'll be plenty more of course to come. So yeah, I don't know if you are. Maybe we should move to the second question. What do you call a group of people? When you call a group of people swifties, which pop star are they a fan of? Sure you have a teenager in your life. If you're a swifty, who do you follow? Who's the pop star that you follow?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Double one, double A three seven, oh two and two one four four six five six seven, it's you're at the Money Show. It's Friday, good evening. It's seven o'clock