Speaker 1: That's no account on dd Mabuza the man, and that is a politics associate editor for e WNCD.
Speaker 2: My dear, she joins us now instudio.
Speaker 1: She's been doing qlas all afternoon because who better to speak to about about this than her city. Maybe let's start with why is everyone on my social media sending you condolences?
Speaker 2: Good evening?
Speaker 3: Sorry for being a being happy go lucky there, But let me just first start with this. He passed away at the hospital here in Santon. The delay in the statement from the presidency was because his wife was traveling from Barberton from the farm where he lives, so it took a while from a way to get you, so out of respect, they waited for her to see to see him before they made the formal announcement to the public. Why am I getting condolences? I've always loved DDBA. It's one of my favorite politicians. I've gotten along very well with him. I've had interesting engagements. So I think it's that I've been very clear that out of all the characters in my political landscape, DD Mabuza was one of my favorites. I mean, I always think about him in terms of the rise to twenty seventeen and we'll talk about I'm sure the role he played in twenty seventeen, but going all the way to Bush where he came from as well to watch him engaging with his people, I just I think I took in who he was as a politician and because there was a particular set of notoriety attached to the man, so I think that fascinated me. But for me, he was always friendly. I always say to people, gave the best tags. Lovely gentlemen, relatively quiet, but yeah, and also very clear about like when we're doing this as far as the ancies concerned, Ye, your the charity of thoughts about actions in the party.
Speaker 1: Who was diddy to his people, particularly the people of hum puma Langa because he was premier before he became deputy president. What did they think about him? How did they see him as their leader?
Speaker 2: I think it depends on who you ask.
Speaker 3: His premier, but it's also a c chairpist in Puma Langa and I think what is scary? And if you look at journalist account, there is Msilikazi who wrote about Bumlanga and what was like. There's another journalist his name is Escaping at the moment who's also written about in Bumlanga. So there's a difference of opinions about what it was like. But I think if we're being honest, words like fear were used.
Speaker 2: That he had a strong hold of the province.
Speaker 3: He was inescapable in terms of how much he controlled life in plan political life in Burmaalanga.
Speaker 2: I mean Boma Langa.
Speaker 3: Was notorious for political killing, so there a lot of insidious issues if he made that stem from the political space in Pumaalanga. He didn't try and refute this at some point when you were the pre president where people conducting interviews would lay claim and killings at his door and he would come out saying that there's no proof of those things, that no court had found him guilty of those things. He did try and take a stand against some of the claims that were being made against them.
Speaker 2: So depending on.
Speaker 3: Who you ask, and I find that that's something with politicians, Commoso, is that every time you speak to a different person, you're a different perspective of who particular leaders are. But I do think for the longest time when he was in Malanga, fear was a matter.
Speaker 2: In fact, the conference is of twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Towards the twenty twenty two conference and Malanga having its own provincial conference, they kept saying we're in tripping you. We're free now and part of that was because they'd been able to get rid of people who are aligned to ma Wooza at last saying that his hold of the province is now gone. So that told you something that even when he was at national office, his grip and his influence on the province was felt by some people who thought they couldn't be outside of him. So he remained a factor hu lumblarge even when he was outside of the province at some point.
Speaker 1: And I know it may be difficult to tell, but do we know how the man amassed that's so much power and influence, you know, I mean I've been reading about him, and I mean it says from math teacher, you know, a black consciousness movement enthusiast and read a deep part of that, and then he rises to being this powerful, mysterious man in that space.
Speaker 3: And that's part of this massively powerful block that was around for my President Jacob Zuma called the Premier League. I think it's the unions, the student politics, but it's also the unions.
Speaker 2: He rose in the unions.
Speaker 3: Right up to start. You must never forget that the unions in their lines are incredibly powerful. So there is that, but it's also coming into Loqui where he was elected into the nec of the ANC and where he stepped back to become an ex official and also official. You are that because you're holding a provincial position, so you're not an ANC member by capacity of the position that you hold. So he became a chairperson of Boma lianes that rise into being in power and under Zooman being excuse me as somebody aligned with the former president that I think were part and parcel of that picture.
Speaker 1: Talk to me about the Kingmaker, because that's really who then he became or we got to know him.
Speaker 2: As at the national level.
Speaker 1: At national level, Yes, who is this man and what is he doing and what's his role? In twenty seventeen, it was very interesting because the past two twenty t seventeen, I mean I went everywhere because you're trying to figure out what is the lay of the land and what is the picture. I remember seeing him in Bush and they'd been and he was a mysterious figure back then had already spent months in the hospital alleged poisoning and he came back, which is where that the label of.
Speaker 2: The cat comes from.
Speaker 3: But he uh in the in the leader of to twenty seventeen, you'd go and you ask where you alarund You know he's a Zuma man, and you think he'd want to push for dot I mean Zuma to emerge. But I don't know if people remember you say, hey, you want unity? We nominating unity? Where people went to seeing Puma Langa's regions, what do they nominate? What do they want? On the ballots of the anc and then all of them wrote unity. That also speaks about the kind of control that he had over branches in his province.
Speaker 2: Where you hear you need.
Speaker 3: To I mean, of course, part of the story around Burma Langa being one of the largest provinces was being told that it's.
Speaker 2: It's inflated with bogus branches.
Speaker 3: Again, that speaks to the man and the notoriety attached to the man as it is, but he becomes that figure that refuses to show his hand for the longest time in the lead up to Nazarek and at Nazarek, just before we are made to believe that he sends a PEC to a doctor and Mini Zoom event that he's leaning that way, but of course that was not to be. He goes to Nazarek and he flips on the so called ends slate supporting the Sierra slates.
Speaker 2: But there were talks.
Speaker 3: I must be honest if I reflect now when as I talk about it, the word back and forth about how he's meeting with people and my past us, as spoke to Guenamantasha this evening. Gudamantasha is the current chair of the NCBA. He also served as chair during the term with Didi Mabuza, and Gudamntacha said to me, you know, after conversations, we're able to persuade each other certain things. And in twenty seventeen we persuaded him and he agreed to tilt Bumlang in a particular direction to stop it from going in a particular way. And that's how that watershed conference for the Sas seventeen slate came about. And I think that people will tell you he put country duty first and that he saved the country. But they're people who call themetrator. Some people have said to me, we've decided to forgive him out sign of himself. And these are people who are alarmed with the so called radically gonnament transformation at block that said he betrayed them. They spoke to him at the time. He's never really explained himself to the country. He's also and that's who he is. By the way, He's a quiet person who's not going to give interviews to everybody.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I tried to everybody about what drives particular decisions. You know, so a lot of people will say to you that he had made a decision and they spoke to him about it, explained himself to his comrades, and those who were able to find peace and move on found peace and moved on. I suppose to Esmachus Shulis, somebody was very close to him once upon a time, and marcas Uli said, leave the politics.
Speaker 2: Those are politics.
Speaker 3: Those were not about the person and the person that was never affected by the politics. He was a good person that related well to him politically did what he did, that's politics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then just took us through Mabuza post twenty twenty three. You know, he almost moved into the shadows and almost you know, became forgotten. If one may say, was he still the big A and C man that we knew him to be. Was he working the ground in that area?
Speaker 2: Where was he?
Speaker 3: I think before you get to twenty twenty three, you need to look at Mabuza during the presidency eight years he became. His help in ascending Ramaposta led to his own ascendency to the high office. He was the country's number two citizen, the deputy president. And I think the Mabuza was a deputy president was quite meek. And I think I can make an argument that the difficulty of being a deputy president it's a ceremonial you'll do what the boss lets you do.
Speaker 2: In essence was the president. So yes, he did this AIDS National Aids Council. Yes, I know he gave me.
Speaker 3: He gave me a coffee book, a photobook of all the work that used to do.
Speaker 2: But he was somebody that wasn't seen.
Speaker 3: In fact, he drew controversy around having to go to Russia for treatment because he did struggle with ill health. Again, the poison plots kept coming back and forth during that period.
Speaker 2: So who he was to me in the years of deputy president.
Speaker 3: Was quite meek and an attempt to make a comeback in the ANC in twenty twenty two was too little too late in my eyes when he said his interested in running, it was too little too late. Then he goes away to uh goes into retirement. And also quite quietly, it wasn't a fight to get diddy Ma Booza to resign his deputy as as deputy president alway, not even as an MP because then now Solma person needed to appoint. It wasn't a fight to get him to resign as an MP. He quietly did it and the announcement actually again his loyalty to his people in Boma lang was actually made at a funeral, I think his brother's funeral in Pomalanga saying yes I am resigning, I'm going to step down. And I think that is who the man is. I mean, a lot of the people are spoken to us say we'll say to you he was loyal to the ANC to the very end and we saw that last year. Though he went quietly back to Barberton and his farm and some people speak about some political life in Boma Langa, we actually saw him at a time when people were pulling away from the ANC from a President Jacobszuom and the likes.
Speaker 2: Dd Ma Booz is one of those who.
Speaker 3: Came out in twenty twenty four campaigning saying people must vote for the A and C. Gweneman Touches said he saw him a few weeks ago spoke to me saying that they spoke not too long ago and you were saying to them, what resources do you need for the AEC's campaign next year. Whatever you require, I remain here for you. I will help you. He's got these bakkies so that you always see a big AC events.
Speaker 2: They belong to d Mabuza. And when.
Speaker 3: Isn't the bakies the resources and he said yes, and he said you'll refurbish them and you'll make them available for the ANC's campaigns. So he's always been loyal to them and he'll come out for them when asked to do so. And based on the conversations he engaged with them still
Speaker 1: See the My dear Ewn's Politics editor, I thank you so much for spending your time with us.