Speaker 1: It's been interesting to look at the different impact that different tariffs are having in different places, sometimes even when they haven't really come in yet. So there was confirmation today, for example, that mer CD's Benz is suspending production at its East London plant. It's a big employer in that area. You can imagine the concern. Now mer CDs bens are not saying the design understand it, but it seems fairly likely that the main reason is that the US tariffs of twenty five percent on all cars entering American markets would be having a big impact on the CD's Benz and as a result they've had to take the decision to stop production for a while. It's really, I think the volatility and the uncertainty. And we'll talk a little bit more about uncertainty in a couple of moments, and we'll just talk about the impact that that has on policy. And of course, with our national coalition being in the shape that is in, this is kind of what it's going to be like for a while. But while we've got tariffs having that impact on the CDs Benz and presumably then on their production plant in East London, sometime brokers Broker Solutions excuse me putting out a report suggesting that insurance for some cars, insurre is of some cars in South Africa are writing off, writing them off when they've been damaged in an accident, not because they're damaged beyond repair, but because it's simply impossible to get parts for them, and that car parts getting car parts has been affected by all of this. Warren Tucker is a vehicle reviewers, someone who knows a thing or two about cars. Warren, Good Evening. It's one of those kind of strange things where a headline from the Trump administration may actually be having an impact on getting car parts. Is this proving to be quite a big problem.
Speaker 2: Yes, Good Evening, Stephen, You see, you see, it's kind of like one of these stories where you say the chickens are coming home to roost. Okay. So, if we look at South Africa, South Africa in the nineties we produced most of the vehicles for export purposes. South Africa's a special country. We had special models you only found in here. Many manufacturers looked at our market and they built vehicles for us because we had such a large buoyant car market. We've got a car loving public. Fast forward, a couple of years, we've got load shedding that impacted a lot of the manufacturing sector. I mean, if you look at Utunate, you've got the likes of Goodyear, bridge Stone Continental. All the big tire manufacturers started shucking down plants, and that has a knock on effect down the line. Now, previously we would rely on local manufacture of parts, okay, and vehicles were assembled locally. Therefore the parts manufacturers were local as well. Okay, And fast forward to where we are now, that's not really the case anymore. We are importing more than what we are producing, and that puts us open to the trade winds of the world. The tariff increases the Donald Trumps of the world that pull decide that X, y and z must change, so it impacts us.
Speaker 1: I suppose it's difficult to know how many cars are being written off because you couldn't get this part or another part, and every sort of person will have a different story. But it seems to me pretty obvious. No one wants to ride off a car when it can be fixed. I mean, I realize it'll go to other places, but the amount of value that must be lost is huge.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, and no, so There's also an another part of this that you must look at is so when the vehicle's written off in other countries, the vehicle is coded. So what that means is the vehicle would be would be would be loaded onto a system as a write off, and therefore that vehicle would not attract bank finance and the vehicle could be purchased and repaired, but it is not worth what it was worth originally. In South Africa, the insurers they have found out that hang on, if we don't code these vehicles and we sell them used used vehicle, okay, then people are buying these vehicles and they're paying a lot of money for these vehicles that at salvage auctions, at salvage depots and then repairing the vehicles, and these vehicles are finding their way back onto used car dealer floors. So you could be buying a vehicle that was previously written off and repaired. Now there are systems that have been put in place where people can check, but this has gone on for another of a long time where these accident vehicles are finding their way back into the used car sector sector and because of that, they are fetching top dollar at insurance salvage auctions.
Speaker 1: Presumably they're not as safe. They're not as safe as they should be, and that must be an issue.
Speaker 2: That isn't issue. A lot of vehicles that are structurally written off are being repaired and they feared badly and they, as I said, they do find their way onto the floor and are sold to unscrupulous as sold to buy unscrupting stealers to the general public, and they find out later that there's a problem once it's too late.
Speaker 1: Is there another issue? So we've got newer brands coming into South Africa, and I'm talking specifically about the Chinese brands. Now, they're not made, they're not made here. They're not, as far as I know, assembled here. I know there are talks to assemble some of them here, but not at the moment. So I presume then that the parts networks that you might have for say Volkswagen or Ford or Toyota or whatever that's been here for a very long time, you don't have those parts networks here, you know, in the same way that you would for other brands. And that must be a problem.
Speaker 2: That is a big problem. And you can actually see that with a lot of the vehicles. So with the Chinese vehicles being imported. What we see is you've got to import to the franchise importer that imports the vehicles, and there's a separate company that imports the parts. And what tends to happen is is the person importing the parts is waiting to fillow content in a first before they bring the container into the country. So they're waiting to follow that container and then there's a lag in time in terms of parts getting to the borders of South Africa. Now what's happened is that they have gotten better. They are keeping a lot of the service parts and your day to day consumables. But let's say vehicles gets into an accident and you need headlights, front bumper, radiator, bonnets. There's shortages of that and you tend to wait for those parts to be brought in. Where As you established brands, your Folkswagens, your Audi's, your toyotas hyndees kias they have established parts depots here where where the manufacturer is represented in South Africa, they have established parts depots. So parts, if anything, the longest time you'll wait for a part is twenty one days. But the part they will get the part to you, and that we see we see in a lot of issues coming through from Chinese vehicles with regards to that.
Speaker 1: How long will it take do you think before? I mean, I presume at some point that someone will be stucking all of the Chinese parts. I mean it would make economic sense for them to do it, especially if they can have a stock pile and sell them to you so you don't have to have the weight, you pay anything to get your car back.
Speaker 2: Percent so you will see. Look, there are new entrants into the market. It's all about them setting up themselves in the country. It's easy to sell the vehicle, but it's after sell service. And that's one thing that you must look at when purchasing a vehicle. Those people with long memories will remember that once upon a time Hyundai it came into South Africa with a bang and then went barely up and lots of people were stuck with vehicles that they couldn't get parts for. Then Imperial brought them back into South Africa, but brought them in in such a way that they set up everything from start to finish. And that is going to be the case with the Chinese vehicles, where at some point they need to be established. They need to be more stringent laws put in place so that manufacturers when they do come in, there are requirements for them to be to establish certain market offerings. For example, a German that the German vehicles have to keep parts for at least ten years after the last series of that specific vehicle came out. So the three series, the E ninety, they need to keep parts for at least ten years after that at their dealers. So those are laws that need to be put in place for everybody so that the playing field is level.
Speaker 1: I suppose in a way with cars and parts, you get what you pay for, right, if you are buying a cheaper car, you're probably going to battle for parts, definitely.
Speaker 2: Look if you look at the market at the moment, the new car sells have picked up, and that's mainly driven by the Chinese imports, because what people are saying is that I can buy a brand new trying to offer the same price as buying a second hand German equivalent German German car. And with this vehicle, I'm getting all these dolls in vessels and they look smart, and that's you know, that's the thing that's that's been sellable at the moment, but what's the aft to sell service, Like, what's that car going to be worth in two or three years time? What is the dealership or the dealer network, what does that look like? And a lot of the time consumers are just interested in getting into a new car. The other things come afterwards. They think about that later.
Speaker 1: Warren Tucker really appreciate the time of the thoughts. Thank you. As you can hear experts on the car industry and vehicle reviewer