Speaker 1: Lunch with Pipper Hudson and now Consumer Talk featuring Wendy Nola.
Speaker 2: Right, we're going to move away from the music and into the world of consumer talk. Wendy Nona with us in studio this afternoon, and we're going to be talking about artificial intelligence and how it's being misused by some consumers in their effort to lodge service complaints. We will also make space for some open line calls later in the show, So if you want to ask a question or flag an issue you've encountered the number to dial two one four four six five sixty seven, or you can send a voice note to seven two five six seven one five six seven. Wendy, it's been weeks since you and I are the studio together, so welcome back.
Speaker 1: Good to be here.
Speaker 2: PIPA now Chat, GPT and groch and the like look can be really useful in helping to prepare presentations, and I use them to create social media posts. They're helpful to find background info, but we also know it's super super important to check and double check all the information they but out because they have been known to hallucinate to make up information when they can't find what they're asked to look for and sometimes they just get the fact plane wrong or they miss out on important nuances. So it really pays to be cautious with them, and to never ever just trust blindly what the AI spat out at you. It's a lesson. A few lawyers have learned that along the way. I'm sure many listeners will be familiar with the story of the judge who picked up that the attorney in court was quoting completely made up case law in his courtroom, and when he challenged him on it, the response was, well, I think it was the intern did it. But the intern had asked CHATGBT, and chat GBT had made up case law to support their argument. They wanted it to support Wendy. I never imagined that we would be having a conversation about this happening in the consumer space.
Speaker 3: No, nor did I actually, although I can see it in my own inbox, so clearly you can tell by the tone and the fact that everything's perfectly written, that sort of flowery tone, you can tell that somebody has definitely prompted some AI platform to do it for them. In fact, recently, a couple of weeks ago, a complaint actually attached his whole conversation with Chatchept in his email to me asking for help. So I saw the whole thread. And he starts by telling Chatchept what he wants to convey to one of those awful travel clubs.
Speaker 1: That's chancel. They'll never let you.
Speaker 3: Go a club. Yes, And he's prompting it to say, I want you to turn this into a professionally structured and strongly worded email. And then so we get all his little refinements along the way, no, do this, add that, whatever, and then he says, and now please summarize this email because I want to send it to Wendy Noha love it so so yeah, and then it's like, no, short, I was going to say, I hope chatch Ebt began with your royal consumer highness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not exactly.
Speaker 3: But so then I start having my own conversation my one of choices GROC.
Speaker 1: I said, how.
Speaker 3: Many users ask you it to rewrite something that that GROC has produced in response to a prompt, but ask it to redo it in their personal style, so it's not so obvious, right, So the answer was maybe ten to fifteen percent of users explicitly asked for us. And then we went down this rabbit hole, which thoroughly fascinated me because I kept prompting. And the thing about about these AI engines is that the quality of your prompt determines the quality.
Speaker 1: So so Groc goes on.
Speaker 3: Some folks lean on AAR to churn out content they pass off as their own, missing the NW ones of authenticity. So I said, so ironic, because we're talking globally about it's that it's the age of author to city, be your authentic self, use your own accent, you know, speak your own voice, whatever. But everyone's now using chatchibt or whatever the AR choice is, which is a complete contrasection. Yes, so Grox says, it's like they want the polish without the soul. The world craves genuine voices, but the temptation to outsource to AI for a quick fix is strong, especially when people prioritize speed or perfection over originality.
Speaker 1: Balancing ars help with personal flares.
Speaker 3: The trick. I'm still quoting GROC use it as a tool, not a ghost writer. So so I responded, is with this the problem, as I see it, is that people genuinely express themselves so badly in terms of language, punctuation, et cetera, with no attention to detail or care.
Speaker 1: And the AR models are not equipped to be that bad. So, no matter how.
Speaker 3: Much they propped groc or chatchybt to come across as their authentic celves, the AI lacks.
Speaker 1: The ability to stoop that low.
Speaker 3: And I've got to I got a ha ha ha from Grock. People want their voice, but they don't realize their voice includes flaws which AI isn't wired to copy.
Speaker 2: Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 3: Most people's natural communication as a glorious mess, said Grock.
Speaker 1: Typos run ons zero chill on grammar. It's very American.
Speaker 3: AAR like me, says Grock, is built to be coherent, So even when someone asks me to sound like them, I struggle to replicate that raw, unpolished chaos.
Speaker 1: I can't dial down.
Speaker 3: The formality or sprinkle in some slang. But mimicking authentic human sloppiness, that's a tall order. My circuits lean towards clarity, not catastrophe. It's like asking a chef to burn the toast just right, I know, I mean, I was properly down the rabbit hole by this stage. Another gem from Grock. AI is like a karaoke machine. It can carry a tune, but it's not going to nail your drunk friends off key warbling at two am. People lean on tools like me to sound sleck, but the world is craving the raw, unfiltered you warts.
Speaker 1: Typers and all.
Speaker 3: I would say as somebody who receives a lot of email, maybe not all those oughts, but something. I mean, these these these emails I'm getting that are so clearly AAR generated. Actually, I can't believe I'm saying this make me long in some ways for the sloppy.
Speaker 2: The raw, unpolished chaos.
Speaker 1: Exactly, the raw, unpolished chaos.
Speaker 2: As to the raw, unpolished chaos. Okay, so I mean really really interesting and the fact that Rock itself generated all of those sayings and phrases jam is really fascinating. But when there's a reason beyond me curiosity for us picking up on this today.
Speaker 3: This was all sparked by Gail Schimmel, CEO of the Advertising Regulatory Board, who reached out to me last week saying, can we please talk about why using chat GBT to argue with decision making bodies like the ARB is a really bad idea? Doing my head and she said, and of course I immediately went back and said, absolutely.
Speaker 2: So Gail is with us on the line, and it's welcome back to the show, Gail. Lovely to have you with us again on Cave Talk here again, except I'm not welving the quality of the phone lines. So I'm going to put Gail back to my producer and ask her just to try and recall I think, and see if we can establish a clearer line or if needs be moved to zoom to pick up on that conversation, because that initial phrases enough to tell me that the current line is not going to do the trick. We will ask Gail to give us a little bit of insight and reminder into the ARB and what it does before we talk about this issue of why chat GPT is becoming a problem for them. Are we trying again on the existing line? Gail, Sorry about that, but if a rude welcome, welcome.
Speaker 4: Back to Cape Talk, can you hear me properly?
Speaker 5: Now it's a.
Speaker 2: Little bit better, So let's see how we go and we'll hope for the best, Gail. Before we talk about the chat GPT issue, it's possible that there are people listening this afternoon. Who haven't heard our previous conversations about the ARB and what you do? Can you just bully start by reminding our listeners what role you play and how our customers should go about approaching you if they want to complain about an advert.
Speaker 4: So very briefly, the ARB, the Advertising Regulatory Board, is the body that you complain to about the content of advertising in South Africa. We non governmental, We are self regulatory body, but we have a body of rules called the Code of Advertising Practice and we apply those rules and through our membership structures and through various other stake holder structures, we are able to get most advertising withdrawn if it is against that code. So normally the way that consumers complain is that there is a form on our website that they're preg in and then they all sound profitbly more relevant to this conversation, can email to complaints at ARB dot org DOTZA. But the form on the website is the first common way people complain.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks for that, Wendy.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, Gail.
Speaker 3: So how is the use of AI complaints affecting the Board's complaints handling process?
Speaker 1: What's do your head in?
Speaker 4: So there are so many aspects of this that's comfortable. You're not going to be able to get to. Let me just stop speaking, because this is really become a thing. And we first are now realized we first noticed it without realizing we were noticing it. So the first examples I can probably find this, we were like, this is weird. This consumer seems to have researched what we do so carefully, but they've quoted the English code or the Canadian code, and that's really weird. So we'll get these well structured, as you were saying, more coherent complaints. And at first it seems like that's not a bad thing. To make people slightly more coherent is not a bad thing, but chagipt will be quoting the wrong the wrong code, or it will have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, or in some way be different. So that's was the first thing that we that we note. Then we started noticing that all of us were experiencing in about the last six months, we've all been commenting people have become so rude and we couldn't quite get a grasp on it. We used to root people. You know, it's normal to our work that every now and then you hit someone who's really angry that we haven't agreed with their view on the advertising, and they write a really stinking email, and that's part of our work. But it was happening really often, and they'd be the same tone to this email. And eventually, after we received an appeal, very quickly, we sent out a decision, and within about fifteen minutes we had a long appeal to that decision, and we suddenly realized all of these problems are because of AI. And we played with it a little bit, and we experimented with putting in prompts, and that prompt that you read that you had seen your consumer put in using the words strongly worded. The moment you tell AI to become strongly worded, it becomes quite rude.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was going to start, Yeah, that was going to be my question to.
Speaker 3: You, is because AI is by default sugary and polite, so the complainants must be prompting it to be rude, and that's clearly what's happening strongly worded or whatever else. Is there anything else that you've that you've figured out in playing around any other wording that that prompts AI to be rude.
Speaker 2: Or there goes the line again. Sorry, Gail, I'm putting you back to Maxina. We'll just try and get that clarity. It's very interesting that, Wendy. I'm just going to jump in while we sought out that line to the point of rudeness. As Gel's right, he said, it's it's part and parcel of anybody on a public platform. We receive it on our WhatsApp line. You know, we saw it yesterday. I had somebody message the wrong message us with a query that was intended for use. I politely, in between ads, wrote a quick thing saying, hey, you've reached the wrong outlet. This is the email address for the news response. And the person's reply was to her an abuse and swear at Maxine and I because we hadn't resolved her issue immediately on the spot, even though we weren't the ones who could. That kind of thing is part and parcel of the job. It does happen regularly. The degrees of rudeness vary, and you know, you just got to learn a pate job brush it off. I have a statue of a rhino on my desk for this very reason. In the early days, I took all of that personally, I've in ten years plus learned to go, you know what, this isn't actually about me. Just focus and let's just carry on and forget. Forget that we saw that. What's happened. It's up to her to use the email address I center or not. But it does happen. It's part and parcel. But I hear what Gail's saying about the degree to which it's happening, and the I don't know what the word is that I'm looking for the sort of sense of freedom to use that kind of language and to entitlement. Yeah, the sort of the entitlement is actually a very good, good, good phrase to use here.
Speaker 1: Girls.
Speaker 2: You said specifically the last six months you've seen this happening, which does sort of compute with my take of AI by the general public as well.
Speaker 4: Are you asking me about this?
Speaker 2: Yes, sorry, we've got you back again now, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yes, you do have me back.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it is a sign of a general uptake of using AI, but just you know, I get the feeling more and more ordinary people are using AI for ordinary tasks and the other thing, and I think you might have touched on it for the b I culture as I rejoined is it sounds so coherent and clever, So people lose track of the fact that it's rude. They lose track of the fact that they're speaking very blunkly because the arguments sounds so clever to them. And then this is the other problem that we're having. What will happen is we'll make a decision or we will tell the person that we're not investigating, and we will have a very good reason. For example, we had a father this week where we are not investigating because the AD is no longer being used. Now we all we do is we pull ads, So if the AD is no longer being used, there's no point in us investigating. So we explain this very nicely, because we always are careful to be nice to the complainant. And we get a letter back, so we explain it again, and we get a more angry letter back, and people feel like they have a lawyer at their fingertips. But the difference is a real life lawyer will tell you when you're wrong, but I will never tell you when you're wrong. So we get these angry and angry letters and then they start they threaten us. I've got a it's got a very specific format it likes to use. It likes to set out its case. Then it likes to make a list of the things that expects from you, and then it likes to threaten you in the last line. And so we're getting these bizarre threats. We will report you to parliament. I will report you to bodies. Bodies was one of my favorite one, will caught you to bodies?
Speaker 3: You know what, Gail, I think I got that case? Was it about a prominent retailer and an uprising promotion? The one you refuse to take that you said, they've already changed it, so we're not doing it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's landed up in my in box.
Speaker 2: And did you also receive the AI version of the email?
Speaker 1: I need to go and look at it again.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It's so funny, I mean, I mean, Gail, obviously, it's it's it's it's it's it's frustrating, and it's sometimes hurtful to the person on the receiving end of what is just intolerably rude, you know, and and unwarranted rudeness for somebody who is just trying to do their job within the boundaries of what that job allows them, and is meant to encourage them to do you speaking out about it quite forcefully, and you've asked us to engage with you today. Are you hoping to just sort of said to people, hey, think a little bit before you sent or would you like to see more substantial behavior change than that?
Speaker 4: You know? I think that that what I would ask people. First of all, we are in our jobs because we like to help people, So we want to hear what really upset the person about the AD. We don't want to hear AI's interpretation of what upsets you about the AD. We imagine that investigate the wrong thing because you're using AI and it has it has said something in a very fancy way, but you have not realized it's not actually telling us what you had a problem with. So that's the first thing. I die people to remember that we're interested in their problem with the AD, not Ar's problem with the AD. And it may be that they're unstructured what did you call it? Chaotic chaos? Yes, but it may be that that is more valid. And then AI's opinion of what should have upset them, So there's that. The second thing is we are human beings, and if you tell us a game and again that we're incompetent. AI lives the word incompetent, old, repeated reincompetence, and that we don't understand the law. And most of us are highly qualified lawyers. So when you get packed with this the whole time, you do become less willing to go the extra mile for that complainant. You know, we still do our jobs, but you're just becoming Whereas maybe we would have gone back to your complainant who had told us genuinely what they mean and why are they upset, and you would have advised them what they can do next. With that complainant to sharking and shouting and shouting at us, maybe we're not going to bend over backwards to help them find an alternate solution.
Speaker 3: It's so sad because it's actually it's not them. It's a getting it wrong and being rude, and they don't have the kind of time or energy or sus to see what's happening.
Speaker 6: In their name.
Speaker 3: In their name, they're putting their name to it. They're not saying as provided by CHATCHPT.
Speaker 4: And I think one of the big things is that it sounds very clever, and you know, if you're not a person used to writing letters or used to leave the leaves or things like that. And AI writes this letter for you, and you think it sounds magnificent, and so you use it because you think it's making you sound clever. But in factful recipients like us, who receives a lot of these letters, we go, oh, it's the AI again. You're not funding clever. You're making us tired to be very blunt. And because we respond to humans, we don't use AI to respond to people. We respond as humans, so we take the time to give you a fortful human response. So I think that's the thing. I would like to call on people to trust themselves to communicate their own feelings and to trust themselves to understand what is written back to them. And if they think, oh, I sense have come to the end of it, don't ask Ai. AI will tell you you've got a solution, because AR likes to please you. If you understand why we've closed so far, men allow the far to be closed.
Speaker 3: Geez, wow, that is actually so powerful what you've just said there, Gail, Really it really is.
Speaker 2: Gail. Thank you so much for joining us this afternoon, and I wish for you this Heritage Day and beyond is that there will be fewer of the rude emails coming your way on more of those appreciating the fact that professionals of your caliber are willing to do this work and act on behalf of consumers. You are greatly appreciated by our team, and I hope that that represents the majority opinion out there. But thank you for taking the time to join us on your public holiday to flag this issue. I'll be fascinated to hear listener's response to what Gail has said and also your own experiences in your sphere of influence or place of work. Are you also aware of people using AI thoughtlessly?
Speaker 1: What Heritage Day is alive? Bond k talk honoring the people, the artist.
Speaker 2: And the moments that will find our city and our country. We're back with Wendy Nola and happy to move into some open line calls as well, but also happy to carry on talking about this issue of AI and its misuse, because I really do think generally this constitute's a misuse, Wendy, people, as you say, not being mindful of putting their name to something AI has generated without a checking the facts therein and b checking the tone, thinking about what it is that you are saying, how it will be received on the other end, and what kinds of rudeness and what.
Speaker 1: Possible consequences are.
Speaker 3: You can't just outsource blindly and then have blind trust that it's all going to be okay. And funnily enough, I was engaging with Naratia Massetti, who is the National Financial or Women's Schemes lead on board for Banking and Credit, about an unrelated matter earlier sometime last week. So Gail had already mentioned this chatchipy te problem with me, saying it doesn't work for regulators. So I asked Narotia if she was seeing anything similar, and she came back straight away to say.
Speaker 1: Yes, we are, we can immediate.
Speaker 3: Please see that chatchipt wrote the response and often they sat completely irrelevant case law interesting. So it's happening all around, and I must say I use it, but I use it very advisedly, and especially with legal you have to check, because luckily I do check because it came up with something.
Speaker 1: It doesn't pick up No. Number one.
Speaker 3: I mean you should know that you must ask it for it to be South African laws. Yes, so that's a really rookie thing to be quoting something American or Canadian, Australian.
Speaker 1: Or whatever the case i'd be. But they're not good with amendments. And also I.
Speaker 3: Was doing a story about how many people got their driver's licenses instead of a code eight, we used to call it a normal passenger car, but in a truck license code ten because you don't do all the tricky you know, parking, maneuvers, parallel parking and all that which some people find hard. And there was an amendment about ten years ago to say that if you got your your if you got a truck driving license, you couldn't then drive an all passenger car. You had to get a separate license. And that came up in my research right. And also because when you go on Google, it prompts the AI thing first of all. Right, So so I thought that's interesting. How come I don't know about it? And I started asking questions, and I went right up to the top authorities.
Speaker 2: It was. It was off the table at the.
Speaker 3: Day it was supposed to be signed into law. There was an about turn completely, but you don't see that. You don't see that.
Speaker 1: It only finds the original one.
Speaker 3: Now, imagine what egg I would have had on.
Speaker 2: My face if you had put that in your article.
Speaker 3: Yes, so you have to check everything, even these references that Groc came up with where lawyers were found to be found to be quoting the wrong case law and whatever, or you know, outsource it completely.
Speaker 1: I checked it.
Speaker 3: I went on to Reuters, I went onto you know, traditional media sites to check. Okay, yes that did happen, and just tweak it a bit and add the year and whatever.
Speaker 1: You've quite use it with caution, and you know.
Speaker 2: What is coming up. As you've rightly pointed out, Google is optimizing the AI results at the top of the Paget's be mindful of that that the first thing that is showing you is a BAI answer. It really pays to scroll down and verify and double check and look for a second source to verify in the material further down the page. Alice summing it up very well, she says, it's so important to remember that all of these large language models mentioned don't generate content in the sense of creating. They fall back on an algorithm which directs them to the information they've been trained on, which then mixes and matches different content before spitting out the answer, as your interviewee stated, it has a specific structure for arguing because that is the way it has been trained to do so, not because it thinks like that. It's basically a massive copy and pasting machine, as Alice's comment.
Speaker 3: And another thing for Continuous to be aware of is that unless you prompt it otherwise, is going to give you an American model. And for example, pain and sufering damages big huge payouts of very big in the American.
Speaker 1: Legal system, not so much here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're going to start with a skewed perspective. And yeah, Joane just saying thank you for exposing yet another problem with the use of AI. It is going to produce a population of people who cannot think for themselves, is her fear. I just want to say, as an example, I mean, really, when we say it's easy to spot, it's so easy to spot. And I'm going to give you an example. We have just had a whole wave of lovely young Grade eleven job shadow students joining us. And after I had finished the week we had with them and really enjoyed engaging with them, We really enjoyed having them with us, and they had their list of questions at the end of the interview, to ask us at the end of the two days, to ask us about working in this profession, et cetera. And a couple of days later I happened to have my young grade eleven nephew staying with me, and Sue said, Tunny, can I interview you? I need an extra case study for my job? Shutters?
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, let's do this, and he started asking questions and am I hang on a second. This is awfully familiar. And he was very good about it because he was going off script and following up and really listening to the answers I was giving him. So he circled away and circled back again. But at the end of the interview, I said to mister you know, can I just have a look at the list of questions you were working off? And he said no, I didn't really stick to them, like, which is the right thing to do. But there's true as Bob, and it was clearly they had all gone into the same system and said, I need to generate a lisk of sensible questions to ask during an interview about a job. Shadow and AI had generated the self same list in the same order. And you know, as I said, the students in particular who were with us and my nephew, all credit to them. They didn't just blindly go through the list and write down the answers and spew that out. They all listened and followed up and engaged and made it their own. But it was very noticeable to me that they were starting with the self same speck that had been sput out by an AI model. And it is noticeable. So if you think you are getting away with it, you probably not. Is the big takeaway for me from today that if you think that you've done a wonderful thing getting AI to polish your job application letter or your school project brief or whatever it may be, it is noticeable. It is going to be picked up that it was your original, don't you find.
Speaker 3: I mean you said you use it, you know, to to for social media posts and that kind of thing, and I for another radio station. I it's it's talk radio, and so I do thirty second consumer hacks, right, and I started thinking it was very clever and using AI to I would say here's my column, turn it into whatever and add a headline. And I'll still do that to some extent, but the time it takes me to make it my own anyway, I don't like the tone of the it's just yeah, And I tried reprompting it, and I just you know what, I'm just gonna do. It's quickly to just do it myself because I can't lose my authentic voice.
Speaker 1: It's what do you have?
Speaker 2: Makes you exactly?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean even then, don't you find that you still have to tweak and absolutely, you know asolutely can't just give it free rein in your name.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I mean that's the takeaway. We're not saying don't use it by all means. Use it. It's brilliant at certain things and it's incredibly useful, like for me to be able to say, create an Instagram post, these are the details of the event. He has the image and it spits out something that you work well. For me to then just tweak a massage. It saves me hours of time than me trying to copy and paste the image and make it the right size and all that because I'm not naturally skilled in that. It's brilliant for that. Always saying is if you are going to use it, don't let it be your only voice, check all the information, verify absolutely everything. Never ever assume that because groc or chatcy bt said it, it must be true, because very often it is not. And the second thing is, please take the time to personalize it, to check what is being said in your name, to read through it and put some you know, and rewrite a couple of things in your own in your own voice to make it authentically or.
Speaker 1: You want to lose your voice if you just.
Speaker 3: Keep worried, Because I mean, I have a son in his twenties and he it's their default is to go to the AI to relate it, to do it, and.
Speaker 1: He writes brilliantly.
Speaker 3: And so I've had these hard chats where I say, you know, do you want to stand.
Speaker 1: Out polish your own voice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you used to help.
Speaker 3: With with grunge, you know, but if you're expressing yourself and it's important, do it in your own voice.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, absolutely all right. I'd love to hear from others if you've had this experience as well, either of finding AI getting things wrong or hallucinating answers, or if you've been on the receiving end of AI generated content that you've looked at and gone Firstly, I can see straight away that chat Gibt has written this email or perhaps you've experienced what so many years, has this rudeness that has crept in, And it's not to say that it wasn't there before. There are some people who are just playing rude on a good old Whatsapple resms as well. But are you seeing what Gail was reporting of people just not recognizing the tone, the inappropriateness of the tone that AI is creating in this content. Keep those WhatsApps coming to seven two five six seven one five six seven.
Speaker 1: Lunch with PIPA.
Speaker 2: Hudson on treap Talk join the conversation. So we're going to move away from AI for a second on to a completely different story. I did say that it's open line for the rest of the show, and Margie has given us a call from Musenberg wanting to get some advice from Wendy. I believe Margie. Welcome to the show. Good afternoon, Ah.
Speaker 6: Good aftern in for Pom. Wendy, thank you so much for taking my call. I've had such a difficult time. I really need some help. I was and I'm going to I'm going to go quickly because of a long story. I had the parking boom come down on my head at melamed Chaka Hospital and that was in July. I was taken into trauma for three hours and they couldn't decide whether to give me a CT scan or not. But before our wind, I said to them, am I going to have to pay for this so on your property? And you know I would like to make my own decision if I'm going to have to pay. No, I must have ask eight times. No, no, No is our responsibility. We're not going to okay. So then they decided not to do a CT scan. They sent me home saying if I was busy or headaches, well, I've been dizzy ever since, and that since July. I'm seventy five years old and I teach physically so to drive and get to work as been. But anyhow, you know, you survived. I went straight to my doctor and he said, no, we do need a CT scan and I want you at the E and T. And then so I did that and then ian T said no, it's very bad whiplash. So I had to go to physio, which I'm still doing. So that's cost me maybe oh probably six thousand rands. But before I before I went to my before I did the ceat you scan, I emailed them and said, please, would you consider and I said sure, it will cost you between three and twelve thousand. So that's when I said, now I'll do my own thing. And anyhow, that's and you know, I've written to them after that asking them and they I haven't heard from them. So now we're looking at the beginning of August. Do you know that last week I got a bill from the trauma department.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I'm standing in silence.
Speaker 2: So not only have they not responded to your request to pay the subsequent medical bills, they've also built you for your care on the day that this happened.
Speaker 1: How much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, it's not bad because it's only the trauma so it's about two thousand and eight. Mean, I know for me, it's hectic. For me, it's honestly been hectic. I have found them. I immediately emailed them that said, yeah, well we've seen your email, so I have a request little me. You know, they're not even going to listen. I said, I want the head of the hospital and I want the head of security, who kept saying that that I wasn't going to pay and they said, yoh, well, you know they're away at the moment, and and I know what's going to happen. They're now going to add on or they're going to hand me over. And I just don't watched, Margie, where you thank you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, is there video footage? There must be always are boobs of that age.
Speaker 6: They've looked at that and looked at that, and and you know what, that's why you won't believe this. That's why I only found out five days later. They came back and said, no, we don't need to do the CT scan. This is a doctor because we've looked at the footage and you didn't lose consciousness.
Speaker 1: I mean, I believe it is trus.
Speaker 5: Listen to this.
Speaker 6: I said, who looked at the footage? And they said the security people And I said the medical and they said no, So they diagnosed much so.
Speaker 2: The security people made the decision.
Speaker 3: That And tell me, Margie, they have they at any point tried to say that it was your fault.
Speaker 6: No, but they are now saying when I requested, please could I have a meeting? And I've got a conference so I can only see them in two weeks. They did say, oh, but the car park really is not our responsibility to someone else. And now what did they say? Now, Oh, the PA lady said to me yesterday, and well you do realize that the security manager should never have told you that you wouldn't have paid, You wouldn't need to pay, you know, And I just go, well, you know, ethically, if someone says you don't pay for me, if you tell me something, and I answer, that's what I'll do. You know, you can't set me go. I'm not going to pay.
Speaker 3: I would very much like to take up your case for you, Margie, please.
Speaker 2: Well I'm going to do is put Margie back to my scene and Maxine is going to take all of your details, Margie so that we can connect you directly with Wendy to get the dates, et cetera, the time of written written account of that place and all of the the correspondence you've had with the hospital as well, and Margie will do our very best to follow up absolutely Wendy. I mean, that's an interesting comment about Okay, there's the hospital, there's the car park. And I know car parks are often managed separately, which which can lead to some maybe gray area as to whose it.
Speaker 3: Is liable that the hospital will say that, yeah, it's an art sourced company, but who are who did the art source? Yeah, chain of responsibility and we're going to get our good friend tru D Brookman involved. Yes, okay, so Margie, please leave all that information with Maxine and definitely a story for us to follow up. We've also got Scharene on the line with a query on a completely different story.
Speaker 2: Is Charene good? Afternoon?
Speaker 5: Good? My problem is a bo a set of earrings, okay, the round earrings. Which all I did was to look to see what mechanism they used to close off the earrings. It's the one that you've got a hole that you put the earring into the hole. But then I took it off when I got home. I did because you don't fit earrings. So I got home and then I realized that the earrings they don't have the cutting at the bottom. I don't know if you've noticed that the earrings that they've got that that the hole that like you'll be able to have the cutting at the bottom. That is almost as if you're opening up the earring like it's at an angle.
Speaker 1: A clip on, a clip on.
Speaker 5: It's not it's not like a clip on it to your ear it's it's like it's it fits in and then at the back then there's a hole that it goes in.
Speaker 2: Oh the little stopper that that fits onto the earring to stop it slipping out? Is that what you mean?
Speaker 5: Something something like that. It's almost like, you know, like the big earring that like the big ones, the big round ones. If if you see that the klipcking the way, the closing mechanism and on a.
Speaker 1: Little it's got a hinge.
Speaker 3: Is that what you're talking about. There's a hinge and it comes around the back and then the little.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, yes, and then it fits in. But now they've done the same design with smaller ear rings. But the problem is this, you can't close the earring. By the time I had finished clothing, I had to get someone to help me close the earring. My ear was so.
Speaker 3: Sore because people have got big air loaves and other people have got little ear loaves, and so now it's not going to be a one size fit all.
Speaker 5: I don't even think that there's anyone that can I have the same ear rings because with not other gold earring that I bought, it kind of like opens up at the bottom. They almost like cut at the bottom of the look the bottom of the earring, so that it kind of like open up to give you the space. And then it's kind of maybe you're right, Wendy. It just clips on. It just clips on on the other side. Now I take it back to them, because that's a real design floor. No, yeah, because I don't think there's Because I ask them, now, can you teach me how to wear this earring? All they're telling me is like they they don't take their earrings. But I really think that it's a genime floor that it should never have been done for that sars of earring, because I think that earring is something like the damas I will be like something like fast centimeters. Those things work well for big earrings under like ten or fifteen, Okay, not for that.
Speaker 3: You're essentially you're saying that most people would not be able to actually wear those earrings due to their design.
Speaker 5: Yes, you cannot clip it, you cannot close it, so because normally yes, sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm just mindful of the time slipping away. Sharene when't you take a photograph and also a photograph of you attempt you know how the best way that you could fit them on your ear, which is unsuccessful but sort of throttling your earlobe sort of situation. And give us details of the supplier and I'll do my best low raise pictures please.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I know, but the whole point I'm not that, but still it's like this is a design flaw. No one like that.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying is if you send me your complaint exactly what you've shared with us here in writing, with pictures of what you're explaining to us in words, then I will be able to take the case up with the with the retailer and ask them to justify why well, ay they're selling them and b why that they're not refunding because you they they are not fit for purpose and from what you've described true, and the Consumer Protection Act then gives you the right to return them for a refund.
Speaker 2: Okay, So saren you take a couple of photos please, and then send an email to Wendy. Obviously where you bought them, very important to age the data that you purchased them. A copy of your slip would be helpful as well, and obviously very important who you bought them from, so that Wendy can take it up with them. The email to use is consumer at NOLA dot co dotz spelled know l e er consumer at NOLA dot co dot zede and Sharen. Please just put the words Cape talk earrings in the subject lines that Wendy can keep an eye out for it.
Speaker 4: If that's okay, any, okay, Thanks so much, Tindy.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much Sharen for your call. We're almost out of time. Just to wrap up, let me finish with a reminder on how you lodge a case with Wendy. So if you are a first time complainant, I know a lot of people are tempted to first send an email to Wendy saying, oh, this is what happened in submody. Would you be prepared to take on my case but not actually give the information. The best thing to do is just dive straight in. Don't send out the exploratory email. Mail straight away with all of the relevant information date of purchase, price, where you bought the item, what the nature of the issue is, any reference numbers or phone numbers, et cetera that go with it. Put that all in that first initial email to Wendy, or use the form on her website, Wendy, you want to jump.
Speaker 3: In, say, some people send a tentative thing and ask me what my fee is. So I'm a journalist, I charge no fee. But I also have no specific obligation to take up every case because I don't have the besty to do so.
Speaker 2: Someput obviously, Yeah, there are hundreds of emails coming into Wendy every week. She can't look into every case. Please do bear that in mind. She does this work without taking payment for it, so she has to pick and choose to some degree. And we always try for the show's purposes to look for sort of clusters of complaints and recurring issues, sort of class action situations where there is a benefit for all of our listeners to learn from them or from a particular kind of breach of the CPA. But if you would like to use the contact form on Wendy's website, that's also a very good way to reach out, and that is Wendy Nola dot co dot Wendy. As always, thank you for the work on all the cases you do manage to get through. I don't know how you get to as many as you do. And we will out again next week Wednesday, episode