Speaker 1: The Money Show with Stephen Crutis is brought to you by absir CIP equipping you with efficient and secure cash management solutions for your business.
Speaker 2: And now The Money Show with Stephen credits on seven oh two.
Speaker 3: Let's walk at all seven minutes after six. Good evening, Welcome to The Money Show. I'm Stephen Curtis. Glad you're with us this Friday evening. Quite a busy day on the JC in terms of sort of updates coming through in various ways from various companies. We are kind of heading into that season. We have a few results interviews scheduled for you next week, particularly Monday, I think is going to be quite busy, but it also gives you a sense of what's going on and happening in the economy. For a long time, we've seen various divisions in our society, and I'd suggest that one of the biggest divisions we've seen is between those who have access to fiber broadband what I would call reliable, very fast, unneeded internet in other words, doesn't cost you more the more you use it right and those who don't, which of course is still the vast majority.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: A big step in sorting that out today with the voticon Nasive deal being approved by the Competition Appeal Court, there is sort of one kind of half hurdle left. We'll explain that more in a moment. What I'm hoping happens, and I don't know what will happen, but what I'm hoping happens is that we get just a huge amount of roll up. The money will come through now through the voticon Nasive deal, and we'll start to actually see a real change, and that'll make a real change in people's lives. Several reports today that some people in the motor industry very worried, of course about jobs. They want people to buy South African cars. I completely understand that too. They're suggesting to government that we should increase the import tariff on new cars that are being imported into South Africa. It's currently twenty five percent. They're suggesting it should be thirty percent. Now I completely get the idea that we should support our car industry. I mean that makes sense to me. We need need people to be employed. They create other industries. There's been a huge amount of concern and worry about what will happen in Graberg, in East London, in Nelson Mandela Bay in particular because of the US tariffs, and in fact the CEO of BMW South Africa has been making this point quite recently around policy as well. All well and good, but at the moment you can if you are in China for one hundred and thirty five thousand grand by possibly the cheapest electric car, it's a proper car. It's not like you know the quote Bajal quote that you see on the roads. It is a proper car. And the point I'm trying to get to is, I don't know of raising the price of new cars is such a good idea. I mean, it's going to make life more expensive for you. I'd like your view, please. Maybe you're in the car industry, maybe you're not. Maybe you just want a cheap car. No double one double A three oh seven two two one four four six, five six seven. We'll talk about the Votericom deal them assive deal with Duncan McCloud in just a moment. Also Steve Theobold, you know him as the chair of KRUTH, and he's talking about the reform Tracker. We'll get under the hood of that a little bit. And then what's called immersive cinema or secret cinema, the idea of actually going to a proper cinema and dressing up for the occasion, having a meal before, having a discussion, after meeting people, going in a group of people suddenly beginning to take off. And I mean, I think watching cinema now is something that very few people do. You set at home, it's easy, it's convenient, I find, and I don't know what you sort of do on a Friday, but I find there's just so many interruptions. This dog needs to be let out, this popcorn is now gone, This person needs a drink, this person needs the loo. I'm probably responsible for most of them, but I still find it quite frustrating. In the cinema. You sit down and you shut up, and you listen to the crunch of everybody eating their popcorn. But this, I think is going to be something a little different. We'll get under the hood of that in a little while as well. Don't forget voice notes. Last time you went to the cinema, please, what did you see and did you enjoy it? Frozen two was one of the last times I went to a cinema, and I think probably Black Panther two. Maybe was the last time I went? Oh seven two seven oh two one seven O two Your Memories the last movie you went to see in a cinema? Good evening, You with the Money Show, eleven after six.
Speaker 4: The Lndy Show with Stephen Kruders Live on ninety two point seven and one O six FM, streaming on the Prime Media Plus.
Speaker 2: NAP and DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 3: Well confirmation this morning that the Competition Appeals Court is now ruled to allow the merger between Vodicom and Masif to go ahead. In other words, they can now invest in the rollout of broadband fiber internet in many more places. This deal's been in the works for three and a half years. The Competition Commission then the Competition Dribunal both opposed the deal. Eventually, well they both said it would be anti competitive. Eventually the Tribunal withdrew its opposition after the two agreed to new conditions. Duncan McLeod is the founder and editor at tech Central. Duncan Good evening, A gosh, this has taken a long time, and finally, finally it seems this merger is very nearly here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been almost four years if you can believe their first announces back in November of twenty twenty two. Just a correction. It's actually the Competition Commission that's changed its mind on this. The Tribunal opposed it right to the end, but there were negotiations in recent months with the Commission and they agreed on new terms and it then went to the Competition of Peer Court and the a Peer Court agreed with the modified terms agreed to with the Competition Commission and a couple of days ago said that the deal can proceed. So yeah, it's going ahead after three and a half years of wrangling, and the money should flow soon from vot COOM. There's just one last regulatory hurdle that has to be able. It seems to it's a minor one, and that's a final approval from the Communications Regulator CASSA, and then the money should flow and it should be sitting in mass of the balance sheet and they can start to use it to deploy infrastructure.
Speaker 3: You talk about a CASSA if I record they actually had given a sort of conditional approval earlier, that would suggest then that that should happen hopefully quite easily.
Speaker 5: Yes, my understanding is it's largely a formality. I haven't spoken to be Cast to get their view on the matter today, but my understanding is it's expected to pass.
Speaker 3: Okay. The whole idea behind the merger basically is to finance the rollout of a lot more fiber into more places, into township areas, into rural areas. We're seeing Alan lot Craig actually in fiber time doing something quite similar. Are we going to see a lot more activities in this space suddenly?
Speaker 5: I think so. I mean, there seems to be a view that that fiber can be delivered profitably into into some of the lowest galicim areas. So you know, both Uma and five a time now. I've rolled out or or rolling out in Alex, the township near Santon here in Johannesburg. They've both also been piloting and I think competing quite excessively sometimes in kaya Munday, which is the township next to Stellenbosch. And they've been experimenting with different models, and they seem confident that they can get this down profitably to a model where they charge five rand a day for prepaid uncapped fiber internet. It's not going to be quite the same fibers that you and I have in our homes, but it will be uncapped and quite usable for streaming services like YouTube, et cetera. So you know, you know, so they can get this right, it could have a very big impact on South Africa's economy and bridging the digital divide and getting the unconnected online. So I hope they get it right, and certainly they they're making a lot of noise about investing billions. We're talking about Masiva and Voom Hotel investing billions around in townships and under service areas to get them connected. So let's hope that happens.
Speaker 3: It's really interesting because five rand a day isn't a huge amount of money. It also means that if you're not there, you're not wasting the money, as it were, because you're just going day by day, and that can be quite important for a lot of people. Actually, if you consider the sort of way in which we live our lives, it's still you need quite a lot of capital to make it all work, because it's going to take quite some time before you get that capital back. I mean, and I remember when boomers started rolling out. I think Parkist and Joe Burg was the first one, the first residential area. I mean, it does take a while to get your money back under those circumstances.
Speaker 5: It also takes long time as are always infrastructure out and you've got to put teams on the ground. You've got to protect those teams. There's a lot of crime in South Africa. Business forums, we all know about these problems. So yeah, this is this is not a you know, now that this deal has gone through, it's not going to be a case of next month everyone's going to have internet across South Africa's townships. This is going to take years of pro loot and and multiple multiple operators rolling out matter. It isn't there anyone looking at this market. There are other ones like frog Foot which is owned by Box, Open Serve which is earned by Talcum, and others at all interested in making this township model work and getting fiber into into into people's homes and providing a real un kept alternative to mobile data which is very expensive, especially for poorer customers. So yeah, there's there's a couple lot of work to do, and it's not only going to be massive it's doing it.
Speaker 3: It's also not the only thing that's happening. I mean, yes, mobile data is very expensive, and I think we'll probably always be more expensive than five that even its price is coming down, Starlink is going to face some competition. Starlink is in a completely different price category, so you wouldn't really use it in this way. What I'm really trying to get to though, is that it seems that internet access is going to get it closer and closer a proper internet access, I mean to being properly universal and more and more affordable for a lot more people. The next five to ten years, we're going to see a real change.
Speaker 5: That's certainly what we've been hearing through this hearing and the submissions made by Massive and Vodcon. But that's their intention. Let's hope that the word simply promises to the regulator and that it actually does translate into real infrastructuring to the ground and poor people in South Africa getting connected, because we all know that in this day and age, having a good internet connection, a good uncapped interconnection is basically just a ticket to the game.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: If you want kids playing around with AI models and learning about large language models and where the world's going, they need to use the stuff at home and an uncapped, unmuted internet connection is a ticket to the game.
Speaker 3: Dougan McLeod, thank you very much. Indeed, founder an editor at tech Central dot co dot z DA. Seventeen minutes now after six o'clock.
Speaker 2: The Money Show explainer.
Speaker 3: Well, last night you heard about the launch of the Business Leadership South Africa Reform Tracker. It's a dashboard that tracks reform across quite a broad range of indsease. Basically, it allows you to see how the reform process is actually going, where things are working, where they're not working, and which areas need a lot more attention. There was a Cape Town launch of the event today. I was there and I spoke to some of the people who've been drawing it up. Doctor Stuart Theobald is the chair of KRUTHAM. I asked him how the tracker actually works.
Speaker 6: Step one is that we've selected about two hundred and forty reform deliverables, so those are specific objectives that government has taken onto its agenda to change the way something works.
Speaker 2: We then engage with each of those.
Speaker 6: Deliverables and look at how far along this gone is it on the agenda. Has a proper plan been drawn up of how it's going to be implemented and they're not their actions that are underway according to that. That and the last and most important step is has it been effective?
Speaker 2: Does it work?
Speaker 6: Has it achieved its intended goals? So our team of analysts dig through all of the announcement speeches and the actual experience of South Africans on the ground and whether they're seeing the reform making a difference in their daily lives and does that assessment across all two hundred and forty And that assessment is now available through the tool. Users can go onto the website, look at things according to themes and different reforms of areas and get a quick heat map of things coulored green, orange, red, according to whether they're on track, whether they're behind schedule, facing rockages, whether there are serious obstacles in the past, and see the progress and otherwise it's being made.
Speaker 3: So for example, if I work for an iron company about work for COMBA, I can go and see what's happening with try net reforms and that will impact whether or not I'm going to be able to shift my stuff out a scision.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, So you can go on find your way through to the logistics areas, Look into that, into what's happening on rail plans and reforms connected to that, look at ports, all of that's there, and you can see the progress that's being made and hopefully a sense that enables you to plan with some confidence about whether these reforms are really going to come off, when they're going to come off, whether there's anything businesses can do to try and accelerate. And that's a really important function of the reform tractor is that it allows some coordination visibility so that both government and business can understand where they can work together to intervene to unlock further progress.
Speaker 3: There's some reforms which you mark as making no progress or not happening.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: My automatic response to that as a journalist is to sort of, you know, point my finger in say someone isn't doing what they're supposed to do here. I mean, is this what this is going to do?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: Reform stop for good and bad reasons. There are sometimes good reasons where things change, technology changes, prices in markets change, and it doesn't make sense anymore to continue in the specific reform When you'll remember that we spend an awful lot of time in this country forcing new rules for how fixed line telephones must be put into rural areas, and pretty soon we realized we absolutely do not need any more fixed line telephones anyway. So that's example where it is appropriate that government says, actually that perform doesn't make sense anymore.
Speaker 3: Let's stop it. Let's focus on where we can make a difference.
Speaker 7: But of course there are also bad reasons that perform stop and that's usually where they hit political opposition, where there are entrenched vested interests who block reform, or where just people change and momentum gets lost. And the track also highlights those to say these are places where there are real blockages and something has to be done.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of areas to track. I mean it's over two hundred I mean that's an immense job. I mean the seesegraphic representation. You can see your radio. You're your radio yellow and you're green. But it's still a lot of things to keep an eye on.
Speaker 6: So it select reforms that are going to have an impact on the business environment. So is it going to make a difference to how easy it is to do business in South Africa? And actually there's a lot of things that affect that.
Speaker 2: Everything from the rule of law.
Speaker 6: The effectiveness of the National Prosecuting Authority, right through to electricity and logistics and the form of the company's act and all kinds of details that directly affect companies. So it does really matter to be broad and say let's track all of these things. And it also in that way helps I think companies understand what the future environment is going to look like because they can start to see momentum and where change is going to come from and not be tunnel visioned, get a broad picture of what's going to affect how they do business.
Speaker 3: Let's doctor Stuart Theerbold, the chair of Krutham that people are put together the Reform Tracker for Business Leadership South out what up Stephen.
Speaker 2: On seven two seven oh two one seven o two.
Speaker 3: So various messages coming through and some of the issues we've been talking about tonight, Tony saying with respect to car imports, they should levy a thirty percent VAT on the very top end cars Bentley's, Ferraris, Rolls, Royce, et cetera. Those are the vehicles purchased you say, by the entrepreneurs. SARS will at least recover a small portion of what Tony believes are stolen funds. All right, well, thanks for that, Tony. I mean, look, I do think there might be something some idea in a higher terer for higher end cars. I think you might have some sort of other strange consequences of that happens. I asked, what was the last movie you saw in a cinema? How was the experience? Kim saying I saw Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight. I think that's the Alexandra Fuller Booker done as a movie, and Sinners each a tour de force, says Kim, and Denise says Oceans by Sir David Attenborough. The last movie scene recently well worth seeing on a big screen. That kind of made sense. Actually, there's big sort of nature movies. I won't do the Attinburg impression that everyone does, but that does sort of make a suggestion as to what you could actually go and see at a cinema. I what I think I would enjoy the most about going to a cinema is that I don't have to let the dog out halfway through. I think that for me would probably be the best part of it. I noticed today there's been another set of stories in a fin twenty four about the seaters, the sector education and training authorities, and some of the numbers really are utterly insane if you think about them. And this was a Carol Peyton story and I found it utterly amazing how things have changed. So she says, and this is from a research by the Bureau of Economic Research, that the total number of people employed by the seaters has grown by sixty percent, their revenues increased by nearly fifty percent. I mean that's a big increase, but their number of certifications per SEITA staff member declines. So it took thirty five SEATER members to get a certification. Now it's gone to ninety two. I mean that's astonishing. I mean, there's got to be a better way to actually train and educate people. Surely we can get people into business in a more effective and more efficient way. It seems that this has become more expensive than actually going for a university qualification, and we know how expensive that can be. Really is astonishing. I look forward to your comments and your thoughts on that. I know you'll have one A no double one double A three oh seven two and two to one four, four, six, five, six seven.
Speaker 2: The Money Show the market.
Speaker 3: The Governor's portfolio manager at Rance was with good evening another loss coming out of Sabania that really did push the share price down quite dramatically this afternoon.
Speaker 8: Yeah look, I mean, obviously, if you look at these these gold stocks, lactem stocks, we've seen a bit of a rally on these things for quite some time, you know, but unfortunately, you know, you're still got to make the stuff do you actually sell it, and that obviously is not been a positive thing for some of these guys out there. That's what we're seeing, you know, after if you look at it, for instance, a year to date, the stock prices up almost one hundred and thirty percent based on like the quality price increasing. Unfortunately, yet, like I said, as you make the core stuff, and that's where some of these compans are falling behind.
Speaker 3: The BYTES Technology group, they're having a share buy back and that's really pushed their prices up, and obviously there seem to be in a strong position to do that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, look, I mean, this is the stock price has obviously been under pressure recently, and the fact that we're listening a bit of recovery right now is obviously to do with that twenty five you know, million pound buy back. You would think that considering just the sectates in you know, it's in basically the tech sector, which at the moment is you know, experiencing a bit of a rally specifically related to AI. The fact of the matter is that really haven't seen that pushed through for this particular share at the moment. I do think that, you know, consu just the amount of expending that you'd expect to be happening around the air sector over the next few years, it should be quite positive for the company, but it's basically seen it with taken actually advantage of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Yeah. A couple of things going on in the building sectors today. Avenge an update just before trading another loss for them, that Jay what's it called the j one of eight projects in Singapore they're building stations there that seems to keep running into problems.
Speaker 8: Yeah, look, I mean this on of these companies obviously have had issues, you know, you know, we actually, of course the sector as a whole under critular pressure. But I mean I do think that if you had to look at you know, some of their options, specially some of the Avenus to nashally, it has.
Speaker 2: Not really worked up them.
Speaker 8: I do think that, you know, you have to obviously take chances with this, all of these things. Yeah, because of the fact that we are seeing you know, issues with regards to you know, it was the local market being able to describe pressure that it has been under. But yeah, I do think that, you know, the moves that they've made in to actually really have not works out here. And the fact that they're saying that there are tourlis, you know, the watch provision being raised is obviously a problem that we have to be worried about.
Speaker 3: And then Marion Roberts. Finally they weren't able to get a quorum for two shareholders meetings to wind it down to take a vote. Eventually, I presume one of the creditors was tapped on the shoulder and asked us to get a court to wind it down. But I mean, it's it's such a big name and finally it's gone.
Speaker 8: Yeah, look, I think I'll move along term you on this thing. I think this is one of the real, you know failures of the government. Quite frankly, we had obviously the walk back after like twenty ten issues are on competition and so on, affected the competition sector, but in fact the construction sector other But I do think that, you know, if you have to think about the country as a whole going forward, like you know, a decade, ten decades, what we made in the future, we always get into construction and if you don't basically protect the sector, you're going to have to basically hire some other countries, you know, sect to come and basically all.
Speaker 3: The things that you need to be built.
Speaker 8: And the fact of the matter is that once you have something like this happening with like Marian robertson the constructions sat down, the kind of the issues we've had so Africa over the last decade plus, you really are not going to be able to recover this with the kind of ease to think you would. You know, what's the knowledge is God has gone. So I do think it's it is a bit of a failure, the fact that we are losing a company that's been around over one hundred years, you know what I mean. And the fact of the matter is that the loss of Lagacity is I think a bit of a tragedy for the country as a whole.
Speaker 3: We've governed that thanks very much in Deep portfolio manager at Rants were springing the time on the Money Show to just after six thirty seven two with Stephen.
Speaker 8: Email him on Stephen at seven o two dot co dotz.
Speaker 3: Well plenty to come in the next little while. We'll talk about eats. Will also of course the the Friday bi bullets. And we've got questions tonight around chip makers in the US, around Ecorca, questions also around the electric coming to South Africa. Lots of talk about electric cars. I don't know if you have a view. I suspect that you may have a view about the question of whether or not we should increase the tariff that's paid to import cars into South Africa. Alisa talking about the last time he saw a movie in the cinema, took the grandchildren to the Minecraft movie in April. Alista, you're a braver person than I. Firstly, firstly, that's two hours of my life I shall never get back. I'm sorry, Alistair. I can send my condolences, that's all I can offer. Secondly, it was seven hundred rand for tickets, lushy and popcorn for each each of a pensioner and two kids. Yeah it is, I mean that is the issue, isn't it That cost mounts up and you suddenly you know in for a ton of money and all you've rarely done is is kind of fill at the most. Three hours. Now, this is a really good movie. I'm trying to think of one. I think for a little while, shall I oh? Double one A three seven two and two one four, four, six, five sixty seven.
Speaker 4: The Lonely Show with Stephen Crutiz Live on ninety two point seven and one six FM, streaming on the Prime Media Plus.
Speaker 2: NAP and DStv channel eight five six.
Speaker 3: On your next Money Show, absence new and freshly minted CEO Kenny Feckler. We'll take you through the company's financial results mtns and together resources CEOs. They'll also deliver their latest figures. We also catch up with the Minerals Council on the Mineral Resources Development Bill. One in every four loaves of bread Soald in the country is made in Sasco. The GM of that bakery, Cornell from Eulen, will join us. So now how I Make My money?
Speaker 4: Feature The Money Show, The Friday File, The Friday File.
Speaker 3: We've been talking a little bit about movies. Tonight when we last in a cinema, let me ask you this question nowadays, in twenty twenty five, what are you wearing when you watch a movie? I'll tell you what I'm wearing most of the time when I watch a movie. Usually maybe a tracksuit, sometimes my pajamas. I'm usually at home. I'm usually on a streaming service. We keep interrupting the movie because this dog needs to go up. That one needs to go in, the other one needs to go and see why the other one's gone out that one. That person wants ice cream. I need to check my phone to see who that actresses, who looks like the person who's in Ferris Buela or something. There is another way to watch a movie, a very different way to watch a movie. It's called secret Cinema. It's run by Secretes Eats as in food. Darren Meltz is the Eats events director for South Africa. Darren Good Evening. I would not be wearing my tracksuit at one of your events, now, would I.
Speaker 9: Good Evening, Stephen, No, most definitely not. So you would be wearing something a little more elaborate for one of our secret cinemas.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what exactly do you do? What kind of vibe are you setting yourself?
Speaker 9: So secret eats is what we call accessible fine dining, So it's giving a fine dining experience to those who would normally not go for such a thing or feels that it's a little bit out of reach. And our secret cinema concept now gives you the opportunity to dress up within the theme of the film, which we only allude to. We don't announce the film because it is a blockbuster release beforehand, so that is kept a bit of a secret. But if you're savvy enough, you will be able to figure out at least the theme or possibly what film it is, and then guests will arrive and have a curated food or canopain cocktail and wine experience ahead of the film, before going into the cinema and enjoying a pre release screening of an upcoming blockbuster.
Speaker 3: Do you have a discussion about the movie afterwards? I don't mean a formal worthy dissection. I mean do people hang around afterwards in their best what's the right phrase glad rags and talk a little bit about the movie, how good or even better, how terrible it was.
Speaker 9: Yes, they get to do hang around afterwards. There's nothing really formal, but we do have a few secrets up our sleeves, like we always do for the the end of the evening, and sometimes we might have like a little sweet sweet treat or a charity raffle or something like that, but gets do hang around, have one or two more drinks and speak about the film and their overall experience.
Speaker 3: You are sitting in a cinema for this, right, You're not sitting around a formal sort of table trying to crane your neckets trying to crane your neck to get a good look.
Speaker 9: That's correct. It is cinema style. So it's a private cinema in Santon, and that's also one of our secrets is that the location gets revealed the morning of the event. But it is definitely cinema style. It seats about only forty guests per screening, and you will then receive your regular popcorn and cool drink to enjoy as another treat whilst you're watching the film.
Speaker 3: It's not a movie if you can't hear the popcorn. Do you find that people go in groups? Maybe people around a particular theme. If you've sort of hinted at what the theme is, that actually it's something you know, ten fifteen, maybe twenty people go together.
Speaker 9: That has happened. It's a variety of different bookings that we get. So for Secret Cinema, we've had groups of about four or six. We do have some brave souls that do come on their own and mingle and meet some new friends over something great to eat and drink and a great movie. So it is quite varied.
Speaker 3: So I mean the idea of dressing up and doing it like that, does that sort of automatically change the sort of vibe?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: It does? I mean dressing up. I'm not a huge fan of dressing up myself, but I do realize that it adds an element to an event that you just don't get unless you do that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, it contributes to the whole vibe of the evening. As you say, we do say that dressup is strongly encouraged, not mandatory, so if you're not feeling too brave, you can still come in your finest, smart casual wear. But it definitely does. Our initial Secret Eats when we launched the concept, we did it for Mission Impossible, so those who did dress up came in their spy where their cocktail dresses, their tuxedos. So it does give an elevated feel to the evening.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's some movies people really will dress up for, and I'm thinking automatically of The Rocky Picture Show. I mean that some people will dress up for some things if you do it right.
Speaker 9: Yes, absolutely, and that is strongly encouraged. Our upcoming film is very much in the English countryside sort of aristocratic feel, so I'm sure that that already gets the brainsticking as to what the film could be. So we're expecting a different feel and vibe from what the guests turned out on these evenings.
Speaker 3: Getting the movies pre release is that a little tricky? You know? Movies often I mean there was a time when you know, things will be kept under lock and key. They would move around from country to country. Now they sort of released everywhere, all at the same time, sometimes in cinemas, sometimes streaming literally at the same time. How difficult is it to actually get a movie that hasn't been on wide release nowadays?
Speaker 9: It is quite difficult. We've luckily managed to strike up a specific partnership with one of the licensing companies for quite a few of the major releases or movie production HARSS. Through that partnership, we've created secret cinema and we partner with them, so it's a give and take relationship where we say we would like that film, and then they go and through their internal processes and then say, yes, we can offer this one to you for release, for pre release screening.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've had plenty of conversations around the death of cinema and you can sort of see it happening, and it's really becoming a kind of the speciality thing. In a way, events like this kind of help with that, right, This is the way cinema might go. It's about the value add, the experience, the watching it with like dressed people.
Speaker 9: Yes, most definitely. And it ties in so nicely to what a secret eat is all about. It's about the emersion and the experience and all of the elements coming together to make it such an evening. So watching a film, all the films that we will be screening on a smaller screen, home, through streaming or just in a regular cinema, is not going to give you that same sort of feel. So, as you say, it's the experience and the value add that really makes it appealing for somebody to come to something like a secret cinema.
Speaker 3: How popular has it been Have you seen that? You know, I mean, do you run it in seasons? So you sort of do it, you know, for a couple of weeks in a row, and then sort of wait a little bit. I mean that can sometimes be the best way to keep interest at a high.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we do it when there is a release that we believe is going to garner enough attention. So we did our first one as a pilot for Mission Impossible, and we only died one screening and it booked. It sold out within a couple hours, not even then. We decided that we still want to keep it quite, quite niche. So for this next one that's coming up, we've only got three screenings, so it's forty guests per evening, and we do it for that short period and then it's literally fastest fingers first, so the bookings. There are still quite a few seats remaining for one of our screenings, which is an afternoon matinee, which we're doing for the first time. But the other screenings I just saw just before we jumped onto this call that the one has sold out, So we keep it smaller niche, and then we move on to the next screening. Because Secret Eyes also does have a variety of other concepts and options to keep everybody's appetite wet, and then Secret Cinema will pop up again when there's another appealing release that we can create a magical evening around.
Speaker 3: I mean the food is such a vital part of all of this, really, you know, is that sort of experience beforehand? I mean that's really where most of your focus goes.
Speaker 9: Yes, absolutely, because we're creating that experience. So we had Formation Impossible, we had self destruct cannabase, which would literally just melt in your mouth. And for this one, it's going to be a lavish high te spread, so it really does contribute to the experience and then gives you a feel for that world before you actually then walk in and see it on screen.
Speaker 3: You don't have to hang from the roof. Darren Meltz, thanks very much. Indeed, the Secret Eats Events director for South Africa.
Speaker 2: Stephen taking your calls on one one eight, three.
Speaker 3: Seven two, All right, time for the Friday BIS Blitz tonight on the Money Show. You know the number. You know how this works. You call us. I've put a question to you. If you get the answer correct, we move on to the next question. If you get it wrong, we move on to the next call out. Oh double one double a three seven two two one four four six, five six seven questions tonight around electric ours, around chip makers in the US. But your first question tonight on the Friday bis Blitz, Which JS listed bank is buying the fintech company Ecorca for one point six five billion?
Speaker 2: Round?
Speaker 3: Which JC listed bank is buying the company Ecorca for a whopping one point sixty five billion? Round Oh double one double A three oh seven, oh two O two one four four six, five six seven The Money Show, Friday b Blitz. You know the number oh double one double a three oh seven, oh two O two one four four six oh five sixty seven. Which JC listed bank is buying the fintech company Ecorca for one point sixty five billion. Round L in Centurion, you were the first caller.
Speaker 5: Good morning, good evening, Hello Stephen, it's ned Bank.
Speaker 3: It is ned Bank, L congratulations, and they're buying one hundred percent of Ecorca in an all cash deal. Okay, time for the second question tonight, AMD and which other chip maker are required to pay fifteen percent of their sales revenue to the US government when they sell specific artificial intelligence chips in China. The one company is a MD, which is the other that has to pay the special fifteen percent tax to the US government.
Speaker 5: Steve and I haven't got a clue. I haven't got a clue.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks, hell, let's try Porsche, Porsche hide, do you know the answers? Let thanks Steven, Sorry, Porsche. Yes, we moved on to the next question. I'll give you the next question. So it's okay, okay, it's no problem. So, so two big American microchip makers have to pay attacks of fifteen percent on their sales to China for specific AI chips. One of the companies is a MD, which is the other company.
Speaker 8: Oh, I don't know that one.
Speaker 3: You're going to kick yourself. We talk about it on the Money Show all the time. Sorry, Porsche, Alex in North Riding Alex even answer you, yeah, go for it. It's Intel. It's not Intel, Alex. I'm sorry, Saki, do you know the answer? Please put us out of our misery. Nvidia it's in video, Yes, okay, it is in video. So it's in video. And a m D. All right. Third question, which global car maker wants to enter our fully electric vehicle market. They're going to sell three electric cars here in South Africa in early next year. Which global car maker wants to do that? Zaki? Yeah, it's a massive, massive car maker. Oh, Saki, beyond yonder, it's not beyond. I'm afraid, Zaki. Sorry, Zaki, Okay, let's try DZ diz high. Do you know which carmaker is going to sell three cars here?
Speaker 9: That's d but I don't know that, and I think a wild gets at THEOT.
Speaker 3: He has a history, actually is okay? Yes? All right, Now to a j C trading code. S b K is the j C trading code of which bank? S b k.
Speaker 9: Uh, it's geeky s b K.
Speaker 3: It's the trading code of which bank?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sinnate Bank Center Bank.
Speaker 10: Congratulations you're a winner. Yes, good evening, thank you.
Speaker 3: Congratulations you're winner of the Friday Biz Blitz. Thanks for playing really do appreciate appreciate it. Good evening with the Money Show. It's seven o'clock