Speaker 1: Thirty five, Barbara Freeman. I hope you've got good stories for us today, Happy stories.
Speaker 2: One of three. It's not all we can get.
Speaker 3: The first one is I think everyone's worst imagination. Can you imagine being informed that you'd won quite a huge sum of money in a loto, in a lottery that you entered. I need to discover a few days later that they'd made a mistake. I think that must be. I can just imagine how absolutely enraged everyone was. So this is what happened in Norway. Thousands of Norwegians were mistakenly informed that they had won a large price in the euro jackpot, only to be told on the monday. This was on the Friday that it had been wrongly calculated and in fact they had won a far smaller amount there Originally it was calculated so it was multiplied the euro sense were multiplied by one hundred rather than divided by one hundred and converted into to Norwegian krona. This is according to local media and Norsk Tipping, the state owned gambling company Norway, has apologized for the mistake and notified the forty seven thousand people that were impacted by this. I mean that is quite a shocking number of people, and obviously a lot of people are very upset. They really thought that on Friday they had won a life changing sum of money, only to find out that this conversion from euros and Norwegian krona had been got wrong.
Speaker 2: One of them who spoke to the Guardian.
Speaker 3: Ule Frederic Sween of fifty three year old, had received a notification that he had won one point two million krona that's the equivalent of eighty six thousand pounds while he was on holiday in Greece. Turned out he had only one hundred and twenty five krona, which is nine pounds laughing overdrafting, Well, you say, he said, like first you're ecstatic, and then of course you're like your elation is short lived. And people were saying, you know that they were making decisions.
Speaker 2: They were like.
Speaker 3: About to buy cars or it started buying cars and houses and holidays, and you discover that it was all.
Speaker 2: Not true.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if it's a good story, happy story about it.
Speaker 2: But that's not a happy story.
Speaker 3: That's one of the bad stories, the second story.
Speaker 2: But I think it is quite funny.
Speaker 3: But if you're in Greece and you didn't obviously holidays, so he could afford.
Speaker 1: That, sure, but did he have a line in did he actually pay for his lot of tickets? I don't know, because if he didn't, I think he.
Speaker 3: Thought he was going to extend his holiday to forever. Anyway, clearly had to come home. The second story just really interests me. So it's a story that is on quite a few of the websites at the moment, and it's the question being on a BBC article is is Google about to destroy the web? So what is this about? So I don't know if you've noticed on Google Search that for quite a while we've had that Google that AI overview.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you see that.
Speaker 3: So sometimes when you type in your usual Google Search, before you see all the different websites and answers, you'll see like quite a short blurb at the top that says AI overview, and it gives you a bit of a summary of like what you're asking. They are working on something that is more more than that, and it's called AI mode, okay, and AI mode is more of a full on almost like replacing the search engine completely in the way that.
Speaker 2: You know it.
Speaker 3: And they've done some testing in the US, and they're now rolling it out in India, so it's not here yet, and that and from the July the first from today they've on the places that it's rolling out. They've added it to the Google Search toolbar where it's got like a little question that says do you want to have a different accountry with the words like a better way of searching, so you can kind of test it. But the issue that people are having with this is that it is going to fundamentally They saying it will rejuvenate the Internet, but people are saying it's going to fundamentally change it because you know, to me, Google Search is not a it's a little bit more neutral.
Speaker 2: It's not a good thing or a bad thing.
Speaker 3: It's like going to the library, going to the stacks, going to the Deuydecimal System catalog and looking for the books you want, going and reading them, or to an extent, you can go to the source material and you can actually find it on the Internet. I'm not saying that's always like not a bit of work, and obviously there's shortcuts, but aside from that, all the media houses and the publishers that have websites that get direct search you know, get direct traffic off for publishers coming from the search browser that is going to actually be circumvented by this AI mode and the advertising Well that's exactly and that's all linked. So why would advertisers then want to actually advertise on your website if the publishers are not getting the kind of traffic that they had been getting historically. So there's a huge concern amongst publishers. And do you know, I was just looking at some of the stats. Google gets something like, I think it handles over eight point five billion searches every day. That's about ninety nine thousand searches per second. Probably they're saying translates into three point one trillion searches per year. And this new if this what it looks like it is, this AI mode rolls out, it will absolutely hurt publishers. It will see traffic dropping or from organic search. Organic search is like your Google search. And earlier this month, Wall Street Journal reported that all Google's AI features are hurting publishers, even AI overviews, which have become quite popular and that summarized your query results, and in fact Google saying that in April they saw more than one point five billion people using AI overviews across the world. So do you know, I find that a very interesting story. I mean, I'm in that space. My job as the digital content enter for Prime Media, plus a lot of my job is about growing our organic and our direct traffic, and this is a concern I've migrated.
Speaker 1: Say, in the past, i would do the Google search, I would look at the source, decide what source I'm going to use. Now I'm getting the summary, which is a lot easier multiple summary, and Google is even crediting some of the sources.
Speaker 3: Absolutely it is, but it's still taking you. It's still enough to go there. You can for a deeper day, Yes you can, and some people will. But if you think of statistically, how many people won't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's going to be a fraction and a lot of people are dependent on that revenue though, So.
Speaker 3: That's nice good news either in my view, but it is news, and let's be honest, this is the world too. We have to relook at the way forward, sure, and what the answers are.
Speaker 1: The kind of change. I was pondering on that a little earlier. I don't think we even realized the changes are.
Speaker 2: No, it's massive, but I'm excited.
Speaker 3: It is exciting, but it is very It is scary for publishers who are only recently understanding how to monetize online anyway, because that's been a huge issue.
Speaker 2: Now we're slowly starting to learn to monetize is another.
Speaker 1: Game. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: And then finally it's sort of a happy sad story. I mean sad in that an elephant had found itself injured. But what is just you know, I often talk about the Solderic wild Life Trust.
Speaker 2: That situated in Kenya.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm an absolute fan, and I always say when I talk about it on this segment, please go to the Soldieric Wildlife Trust on the interwebs, go to their Facebook page, to go to their Instagram page. Honestly, it is like, if you want to just be uplifted the work they do with elephant orphans who they find, you know, in these terrible circumstances where their mom has been killed or you know, various situations that take these elephants into the sanctuary.
Speaker 2: They actually spend about fifteen.
Speaker 3: Years bringing up these babies, because that's how long it takes for elephants to get to that maturity.
Speaker 2: And then they sort of eventually these.
Speaker 3: Little herds get rewilded into the big, Big Broader Wild Area Sanctuary and in this case, another incredible story because this has happened many times before, of an elephant that came to the sanctuary to get help. And I just elephants are so smart and now so amazing. And I mean, I'm also assuming here I speak obviously out of my own head, that there's so many of these young elephants that have grown up and are living out there that maybe they even communicated to the hurt elephant and that's where you go for a bit of medical help.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just my story.
Speaker 3: But this was an injured mother, and they recently sh a story about a similar story about an injured bull who had come there for help quite recently. But on Thursday morning, as their aerial unit prepared for the day, the team was surprised to find a wild elephant in her mid twenties lingering by the airstrip. Rather than retreating at the sight of humans, They right, she deliberately stationed herself in the busiest part of their Caluca Field HQ, she said. They say it was immediately clear that her right leg was swollen, hindering her mobility and causing visible discomfort. They've seen this behavior before in whild elephants. Is a cry for help. They quickly mobilized their mobile vet unit. The elephant was darted meters from the airstrip. They found the object. It was a shod of wood lodged near lodged near her knee joint and had become badly infected.
Speaker 2: It was causing significant pain.
Speaker 3: The fragment was removed with their by their vets, doctor Elma and doctor LAWI and their confidence will make a full and speedy recovery. And I just I just think, yeah, they said, some of the baby elephant orphan heard were also around watching the treatment, and yeah, she's actually a mom who's they could see was lactating and hopefully will be reunited with her baby. And it's just just an amazing story. And just the day before they had also posted how one of their wild herds, their baby orphans, who had been rewilded, headed by one of their very well known orphans that was now fifteen years old, had walked back in a row, like in a long row of about thirty orphans had walked back to come and say hi. The other day, led by a fifteen year old Matara and orphan that was rescued in two thousand and nine who'd lost her mother. Approaching she had her baby. She had a little baby with her mamba. They think she's even pregnant again this city. Thirty five elephants came tramping along the path to say hi to their caretakers at Shelter Wilde Trust, to just say hey, how's it, thank you, we still.
Speaker 2: Remember you and we love you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'll just checked with Google AI if elephants can communicate telepathically, well, there's no scientific evidence to suggest that elephants communicate telepathically. Elephants a highly social, intelligent, and complex communications a system that involves a variety of methics methods. I think word is going to get a wrong.
Speaker 2: Word's getting wrongd go there for help.
Speaker 1: Therefore, Yeah, they'll sort out your your your headache, you're sore knee. What a fascinating